12/1 | Harvard | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Tjrams91
Jeff Kent

Re: 12/1 | Harvard | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by Tjrams91 »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 2 years ago One thing I have noticed, and maybe it is because the "Princeton offense" we are running (is that actually true) is new to them this year:
They run the designed 'play' almost mechanically at times.
If the ball is supposed to go into the post, they stare it down and even if it is not available they still force it.
Another example is if the pass to the top of the key is denied, they get stymied.
This happened one time to Walker and the ball handler (Malik Martin) had no where to go.

In other words, if the play is disrupted, they do not have a second option, or at least the second option is not quickly assessed and executed naturally.
For instance, Walker should have cut back door and the motion should have continued, but instead it stopped.
That leads to guys having to go one-on-one or shoot 3s that are not really in the flow.
On that particular play where Walker was denied, Martin made a nice individual play, created space and hit a three.

Maybe this will come with time. If the offense is actually new this year, it is understandable to a point.

Just an observation ...
Cox relayed on his radio show that the team is running a HYBRID PRINCETON OFFENSE. Lot of back screens, and cuts underneath the basket. Guys slashing to the basket. It is very similar.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Tjrams91 wrote: 2 years ago So should UCONN fans be concerned that they only beat Q4 UMES by 9 after being neck and neck with them all game?

Just using a comparative example we can all relate to since this board has a forever love affair with Hurls.
That was an outlier, though. Not a trend. UConn has handled most of their inferior opponents like Rhody handled Georgia State.
1 x
Tjrams91
Jeff Kent

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
section(105) wrote: 2 years ago :D ……well, maybe it is time to say…..we are what our record says we are…….the wins have been working through various negative stretches, games with too many turnovers, games with many wtf plays, foul outs, coaching adjustments(lack there of) etc. etc. games with enough positive plays and talent to overcome the negatives…….winning ugly applies for sure…….to think or expect this group will find a switch to turn on a smooth, efficient, and consistent game each nite is not in their DNA…….settling for mediocrity?…….settling for the reality of the big picture?……we are what our record says we are and how we got those wins……winning when the PG scores zero, that can’t be part of the going forward……not feeling real good about Saturday……no?
The larger concern a lot of us have is that we are playing the softest schedule in a decade.

So yes, while it’s nice that we’re winning these games in a frustrating fashion - this isn’t how you win basketball against legitimate competition. And if you don’t beat legit competition you don’t go anywhere.

So apologies if most of us aren’t jumping for joy when we blow double digit leads against Q3 teams because we know it won’t work in the games that matter.

Hopefully the trend continues and we show up Saturday.
Glad they got out of there with a win, but I am sure Cox isn't jumping for joy.
They have a lot they need to clean up on.

Looks like Ish is coming out of his slump.
Another good game for Marin almost a doble/double (13 pts/9 rebs)
He needs to start or play big minutes again Saturday to help contain Durham and Reeves, also matching up with their size.
Imagine when we get another night when the whole lineup is clicking….watch out!
0 x
Tjrams91
Jeff Kent

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago
Tjrams91 wrote: 2 years ago So should UCONN fans be concerned that they only beat Q4 UMES by 9 after being neck and neck with them all game?

Just using a comparative example we can all relate to since this board has a forever love affair with Hurls.
That was an outlier, though. Not a trend. UConn has handled most of their inferior opponents like Rhody handled Georgia State.
Sounds like an excuse because it fits an argument, but OK. UMES would lose to 7 man Georgia St by 20.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Tjrams91 wrote: 2 years ago
section(105) wrote: 2 years ago :D ……well, maybe it is time to say…..we are what our record says we are…….the wins have been working through various negative stretches, games with too many turnovers, games with many wtf plays, foul outs, coaching adjustments(lack there of) etc. etc. games with enough positive plays and talent to overcome the negatives…….winning ugly applies for sure…….to think or expect this group will find a switch to turn on a smooth, efficient, and consistent game each nite is not in their DNA…….settling for mediocrity?…….settling for the reality of the big picture?……we are what our record says we are and how we got those wins……winning when the PG scores zero, that can’t be part of the going forward……not feeling real good about Saturday……no?
The larger concern a lot of us have is that we are playing the softest schedule in a decade.

So yes, while it’s nice that we’re winning these games in a frustrating fashion - this isn’t how you win basketball against legitimate competition. And if you don’t beat legit competition you don’t go anywhere.

So apologies if most of us aren’t jumping for joy when we blow double digit leads against Q3 teams because we know it won’t work in the games that matter.

So should UCONN fans be concerned that they only beat Q4 UMES by 9 after being neck and neck with them all game?

Hmm idk - you think there’s a difference between being a ranked team that got rebuilt under a coach, has been to the NCAAT, and beat a ranked team last week - and us looking for anything in the past 3+ seasons that says we’re actually as good as our “record” says we are?

Hurley’s methods are proven and unimpeachable. The jury is very obviously still out on Cox. I think it’s fair to be concerned based on what we’ve seen the last few seasons.

Are we allowed to love Jim Harrick too?
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Tjrams91
Jeff Kent

So should UCONN fans be concerned that they only beat Q4 UMES by 9 after being neck and neck with them all game?

Hmm idk - you think there’s a difference between being a ranked team that got rebuilt under a coach, has been to the NCAAT, and beat a ranked team last week - and us looking for anything in the past 3+ seasons that says we’re actually as good as our “record” says we are?

Hurley’s methods are proven and unimpeachable. The jury is very obviously still out on Cox. I think it’s fair to be concerned based on what we’ve seen the last few seasons.

If you’re 10-15, you stink.

If your 6-2, you’re winning more than you’re losing.

No one will remember the margin of victory in the end, a win is a win is a win.

One thing I’ll bet is that UCONN fans probably think their team is a bit overrated after struggling with that terrible UMES squad.

But it happens, that’s what makes college basketball enjoyable. The talent gap really isn’t as VAST across the board as records and rankings will lead people to believe.

You all want wins, or you want style points and wins?
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

One thing I’ll bet is that UCONN fans probably think their team is a bit overrated after struggling with that terrible UMES squad.

But it happens, that’s what makes college basketball enjoyable. The talent gap really isn’t as VAST across the board as records and rankings will lead people to believe.

Holy crap we’re having Baron arguments again.

This fan base is amazing.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Tjrams91
Jeff Kent

Dude, I’m relatively new here, I don’t even know what that means.

Beat the teams that are in front of you.

Not sure why your crying about it.

We’ve seen what this team is capable of, the good and the bad. Celebrate the good and hope it manifests into something great.

This place is depressing. Sheesh.
2 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Here are my thoughts:

We have some incredible talent. Front court talent unlike anything we've had in quite some time. Discipline seems to be our weak point, which can probably tie back to coaching style AND lack of a true PG.

Positives:
  • I really like what I see from Thomas - I'd say he's been the surprise of the season thus far.
    I really like what Malik Martin brings, which is no surprise given his family pedigree (there's still 1 more Martin that could be more highly ranked than Hassan and Malik - can we get him locked in ASAP?)
    Having two Mitchell's is such an advantage. I know they're different players, but 2 is infinitely better than 1 with the foul issues and off nights that is expected from players at this level
    Ish Leggett is improving the last few games
    Our defense is, at times, tremendous
    Knowing that Harvard is a great second half team AND URI normally shits the bed -3.5 for Harvard 2H was an easy bet
Negatives:
  • We don't have a floor general
    Too many turnovers
    Second half struggles continue - coaching is 100% to blame for this trend
    Not playing high IQ basketball
    Look lost on offense for long periods of time
A lot has been made from our schedule. The more I watch college basketball the more I realize most top 100 teams can beat anyone in the top 50 and also lose to anyone in the top 300 (See Dayton). This schedule has some solid mid-major programs, but I cant help but feel we'd have a similar record if we went on the road and played some top 50 teams. We'd pull off an upset or two, we'd continue to lose a game or two we shouldn't, and overall our record and KenPom would be about the same.

I don't think there's a huge gap between a team like this and a team like Maryland who will probably be on the right side of the bubble on selection Sunday. The lone difference is their opportunities to get the big wins and avoid "bad" losses.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

We’ve seen what this team is capable of, the good and the bad. Celebrate the good and hope it manifests into something great.

Why do 10 loss power conference teams make the tournament but 3 loss mid major teams miss it?

Who you beat and who you play matters, not just wins and losses. That’s why there’s a NET and not just standings.

If you’re relatively new and don’t get the Baron reference I’m incredibly jealous. Enjoy this week with unvarnished eyes and have a blast.

A lot of us have seen too much here and it usually isn’t good. I sincerely hope you never get as jaded as a lot of us are.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Yes, a win is a win…BUT, If it follows a troubling pattern that has you consistently blowing big second half leads just to hold on at the end to inferior competition…you have every right to be concerned as to how long you can keep getting by as the season goes on.

Yes, results matter, but so does the way you get them.
Last edited by RIFan 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Tjrams91
Jeff Kent

Why do 10 loss power conference teams make the tournament but 3 loss mid major teams miss it?

Who you beat and who you play matters, not just wins and losses. That’s why there’s a NET and not just standings.

If you’re relatively new and don’t get the Baron reference I’m incredibly jealous. Enjoy this week with unvarnished eyes and have a blast.

A lot of us have seen too much here and it usually isn’t good. I sincerely hope you never get as jaded as a lot of us are.
This we can agree on. I’d hate to be a miserable as you all sound.
1 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Yeah man it is not worth arguing over with the pathetic depressing whoa is me fans on here. I used to come on here every day and be excited to read the posts and add a few of my own posts. I have stepped further and further away from the board due to the constant negativity and outright ridiculous takes half the posters have. It is not worth the argument. They want cox gone so they will not and can not find any positives no matter what the team does. Covid has really created the most delusional board. Just the biggest cesspool of the internet.
2 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I was happy they won. On the road against Harvard is good to win. Kriss Dunn lost @ Brown right?? I forget.

Big opportunity for URI this weekend. Tough environment for a team that hasn’t really played in a tough environment in over 18 months. I hope it brings out the best. Our front court matches up well with theirs.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

we're on to PC.
0 x
:lol:
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

This we can agree on. I’d hate to be a miserable as you all sound.
I was you once. It was a glorious time. Enjoy it.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Tjrams91
Jeff Kent

sevegny7 wrote: 2 years ago

Yeah man it is not worth arguing over with the pathetic depressing whoa is me fans on here. I used to come on here every day and be excited to read the posts and add a few of my own posts. I have stepped further and further away from the board due to the constant negativity and outright ridiculous takes half the posters have. It is not worth the argument. They want cox gone so they will not and can not find any positives no matter what the team does. Covid has really created the most delusional board. Just the biggest cesspool of the internet.
I agree, I likely won’t be here for long. Those guys can drown in their own sorrows. I’m a frequent lurker, so I see the divide amongst fans. It’s mind boggling, one side trying to convince the other why the should hate the team, and Vice versa.

Get some air, people. There is a whole big world out there you can explore.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Sounds like an excuse because it fits an argument, but OK. UMES would lose to 7 man Georgia St by 20.
I'm not here to Stan for UConn and literally had to look up their scores, but yeah, games like UConn vs UMES happen even to the best teams. They'll happen to URI, too, and that's fine *once in a while*. Allowing bad teams to hang around and come back on you over and over though is a trend and not just 'well, that's basketball for ya!'.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Some people just don't want to hear what is obvious....that this team will NOT beat better opponents playing "not to lose".

Many here have stated what is needed to improve their late game performances....can they or will they do it?

What I have seen so far this season is that there are areas which we HAVE improved [the Bozeman factor?].....better defense, more sharing the ball etc.....but areas where we still haven't figured it out, like unforced turnovers/bad decision making.

Is the talent level to blame, or is it the inability of the staff to teach/coach/strategize?

My take is, it's a combination of the two. I think this is a reasonable assessment.

I could see this team win 20 games this season, if the late game issues are rectified as much as possible. Good enough to Dance? No.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

One thing is clear if URI wants a good record - it must play more games versus teams from Boston. It is undefeated against Boston opponents with four of six wins to date. Get Northeastern on the schedule and line up additional games versus BU and Harvard.

*Before anyone claims that Harvard and BC are not Boston schools - While most of the campuses for these two schools are in the neighboring communities of Cambridge and Boston, parts are also within Boston city limits. In fact, both basketball venues are in Boston. Laveites (and Harvard Stadium) is across the Charles River in the Allston area and Conte (and Alumni Stadium) is just tens of feet east of the Newton line in the Brighton neighborhood.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago One thing is clear if URI wants a good record - it must play more games versus teams from Boston. It is undefeated against Boston opponents with four of six wins to date. Get Northeastern on the schedule and line up additional games versus BU and Harvard.

*Before anyone claims that Harvard and BC are not Boston schools - While most of the campuses for these two schools are in the neighboring communities of Cambridge and Boston, parts are also within Boston city limits. In fact, both basketball venues are in Boston. Laveites (and Harvard Stadium) is across the Charles River in the Allston area and Conte (and Alumni Stadium) is just tens of feet east of the Newton line in the Brighton neighborhood.
Now if we can only beat UMass and make a clean sweep of our northern neighboring state.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago If URI couldn't beat FGCU on its homecourt, I have little faith it can beat either Harvard tonight or PC on Saturday. I think the odds are that Rhody's record will be 5-4 by the end of the week.
How about now?
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Turnovers are killing us and we are committing more than our opponents at a +15% rate on average and the Mitchell twins account for 43% of the Rams total. Not all turnovers are equal, some at critical moments lead to big momentum changes. I see no progress in correcting this problem some eight games into the schedule.
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Obadiah wrote: 2 years ago Turnovers are killing us and we are committing more than our opponents at a +15% rate on average and the Mitchell twins account for 43% of the Rams total.
Just "halving" this number would pay huge dividends.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Hmm idk - you think there's a difference between being a ranked team that got rebuilt under a coach, has been to the NCAAT, and beat a ranked team last week - and us looking for anything in the past 3+ seasons that says we're actually as good as our "record" says we are?

Hurley's methods are proven and unimpeachable. The jury is very obviously still out on Cox. I think it's fair to be concerned based on what we've seen the last few seasons.

If you're 10-15, you stink.

If your 6-2, you're winning more than you're losing.

One thing I'll bet is that UCONN fans probably think their team is a bit overrated after struggling with that terrible UMES squad.

But it happens, that's what makes college basketball enjoyable. The talent gap really isn't as VAST across the board as records and rankings will lead people to believe.

This is EXACTLY what I was worried about once our schedule was released. We have a very weak schedule to win many games, and people will call people miserable if they aren't super excited about it. I love that we are 6-2 but haven't we been favored to win in every game? That's not what you want in a schedule. We finally have a game on Saturday where we are the underdogs. However, I think last night was our best win of the season. That second half was brutal but winning at Harvard on the road is not easy. Props to Cox and the team.

We had Jim Baron as a head coach for 100 years. He would design a schedule similar to this one. We would start 6-2 and a lot better than that most of the time. Then we would begin to play better teams and lose over and over and over again. The committee would beg us to win one big game, and Baron couldn't do it.. We were the best at getting bids... TO THE NIT

If the goal is championships and NCAA bids, some fans like myself want a realistic shot at that.. We are 6-2 and have no signature wins. Saturday would be one! Get it done Cox!!!!
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago
RI_Bred wrote: 2 years ago We're gonna win but wow...
I don’t know how anyone that watched this game could feel good about it or use it as a feather in the cap, but I’m pretty sure a couple of our friends here will try anyways.
God forbid anybody bring positivity to the board.

As a Moderator maybe try to keep things moderated between factions instead of poking the few who might say something positive about the win and the future.

I “liked” your post anyway to bring the post “likes” up to 9
1 x
Tjrams91
Jeff Kent

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago

Hmm idk - you think there's a difference between being a ranked team that got rebuilt under a coach, has been to the NCAAT, and beat a ranked team last week - and us looking for anything in the past 3+ seasons that says we're actually as good as our "record" says we are?

Hurley's methods are proven and unimpeachable. The jury is very obviously still out on Cox. I think it's fair to be concerned based on what we've seen the last few seasons.

One thing I'll bet is that UCONN fans probably think their team is a bit overrated after struggling with that terrible UMES squad.

But it happens, that's what makes college basketball enjoyable. The talent gap really isn't as VAST across the board as records and rankings will lead people to believe.

This is EXACTLY what I was worried about once our schedule was released. We have a very weak schedule to win many games, and people will call people miserable if they aren't super excited about it. I love that we are 6-2 but haven't we been favored to win in every game? That's not what you want in a schedule. We finally have a game on Saturday where we are the underdogs. However, I think last night was our best win of the season. That second half was brutal but winning at Harvard on the road is not easy. Props to Cox and the team.

We had Jim Baron as a head coach for 100 years. He would design a schedule similar to this one. We would start 6-2 and a lot better than that most of the time. Then we would begin to play better teams and lose over and over and over again. The committee would beg us to win one big game, and Baron couldn't do it.. We were the best at getting bids... TO THE NIT

If the goal is championships and NCAA bids, some fans like myself want a realistic shot at that.. We are 6-2 and have no signature wins. Saturday would be one! Get it done Cox!!!!
The A10 is WIDE OPEN.

No team is blowing anyone away.

Not us, not Dayton, not Richmond, not Bonnies. No one.

Chances are, a couple of the teams we played in the OOC will be atop their conferences. That helps.

The A10 getting some marquee wins will also help our SOS.

We can beat anyone in the A10. We can also lose to anyone in the A10.

The same can be said for every team in the A10.

URI is fine.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

The A10 is WIDE OPEN.

Chances are, a couple of the teams we played in the OOC will be atop their conferences. That helps.

URI is fine.
It really depends on what you want this year... Do you want a bid or are you cool with us just having a bunch of wins and maybe making the NIT? Im not trying to be a dick I"m seriously asking.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Tjrams91
Jeff Kent

The A10 is WIDE OPEN.

URI is fine.
It really depends on what you want this year... Do you want a bid or are you cool with us just having a bunch of wins and maybe making the NIT? Im not trying to be a dick I"m seriously asking.
I get it. I think when the smoke clears, we will have a chance to dance. 22 games left to play.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

The A10 is WIDE OPEN.

URI is fine.
I get it. I think when the smoke clears, we will have a chance to dance. 22 games left to play.
That would be awesome I hope so
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago 10 turnovers for our bigs. Do we see a pattern forming ?
So how do you fix it? What do you recommend?
Coaching? Telling them to stop putting the ball on the floor and attempting dangerous passes?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

luke wrote: 2 years ago Does the team play better when Thomas is o n the floor versus Sheppard ? My answer to this question is unequivocally no . Thomas thus far has shown
the tendency to take some ill advised shots and has also had some unforced turnovers at inopportune times . He hhas cut down on both in the past two games including tonight which is a good sign . However, at this point I prefer Shepard's ability to hit threes and drive to the hoop . He just didn't look to score that much tonight but we know he can put up 20 on any given night and he doesn't turn the ball over either.
I'm not saying Bassy should be on the floor instead of Shep. Obviously not. But turnovers? Bassy has 2 turnovers in 8 games.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

…..OK, I will bite Stevie, I want the bid, but given where we were last two years, especially last year, I am cool with Bunch of wins that falls short of bid, but NIT………I can remember my early days here, coming on to maybe discuss basketball……..and a suggestion that a player had a good game, often resulted in most responses railing on CFL……go Rhody……..I am ready for all incoming fire…….
Last edited by section(105) 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

The A10 is WIDE OPEN.

URI is fine.
We have a Q3 and Q4 loss. We will have 4 Q1 games - Saturday being one.

Any prayer we have of a bid makes Saturday a must win. I hope you’re right.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Tjrams...a win is a win is a win in your eyes, but unfortunately, not in the NCAA's eyes.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
McRam wrote: 2 years ago We need to face facts.. shep is not a point guard, that is why we run motion offense, there is no creator and no one without the exception of Thomas that has a point guard mentality.

Thomas clearly has an issue scoring at this stage of his career, but, does play very good defense and does not turn it over. Not really the type of today’ s scoring point guard, but then again neither was KC Jones

Interested in others opinion, Does the team look and play better when Thomas is running the point.

As for the moving picks- why, at this stage of their careers are they still getting called for moving picks. And why, is the coaching staff seemingly unable to fix this

Shep isn’t a PG? Please pass me whatever you are smoking.
Jeremy Sheppard is no where near a legitimate true point guard.

Tyson Wheeler, Parfait Bitee, Marquis Jones, Stevie Mejia, Jeff Dowtin, Jarvis Garrett are true PGs.

Sheppard isn’t in the same stratosphere as true PGs like them.

Sure maybe he’s more talented than Jones and Mejia, but as a pure PG he is not.
Steve Majia never started a game for URI in 2 years. Transferred to Hofstra for his last two years

Jeff Dowtin got moved off Point Guard in favor of Fatts Russell for Dowtin’s last two years so surprising you wouldn’t have Russell on your list.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

brady1 wrote: 2 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Steve Mejia and Marquis Jones shouldn’t ever be listed in same sentence as Dowtin, Wheeler and even Bittee.
Big A love your posts! But Marquis Jones had a real solid career at URI started and won a ton of games at URI. He was part of the Baron, we were almost a contender years, where if we had won one more game we were Dancing a couple of Marquis years. As good as Tyson or Dowtin No. But grouped with Meja who I don’t think ever started a game was not fair. Of course it was the Nitwit Friar 15 that grouped these pg together.

GO RHODY!
And didn’t group Russell in? You are right. Mejia never started a game in 2 years then transferred to Hofstra.

Friar 15 rusty on his Rhody knowledge.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago We have a Q3 and Q4 loss. We will have 4 Q1 games - Saturday being one.

BlueMan, I'm only counting three Q1 games... @ PC, @ Davidson, @ Bona. @ VCU may get there, though.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago We have a Q3 and Q4 loss. We will have 4 Q1 games - Saturday being one.

BlueMan, I'm only counting three Q1 games... @ PC, @ Davidson, @ Bona. @ VCU may get there, though.
Correct. I’m assuming VCU finishes the year top 75.

This is also total make believe because this assumes we go 3-1 in these games and don’t add a single additional Q3 or Q4 loss over the next 22 games.

Our at large hopes probably died in Florida but beating PC would be fun.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago Our at large hopes probably died in Florida but beating PC would be fun.
Always.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
brady1 wrote: 2 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Steve Mejia and Marquis Jones shouldn’t ever be listed in same sentence as Dowtin, Wheeler and even Bittee.
Big A love your posts! But Marquis Jones had a real solid career at URI started and won a ton of games at URI. He was part of the Baron, we were almost a contender years, where if we had won one more game we were Dancing a couple of Marquis years. As good as Tyson or Dowtin No. But grouped with Meja who I don’t think ever started a game was not fair. Of course it was the Nitwit Friar 15 that grouped these pg together.

GO RHODY!
And didn’t group Russell in? You are right. Mejia never started a game in 2 years then transferred to Hofstra.

Friar 15 rusty on his Rhody knowledge.

Bringing up Mejia's transfer wasn't relevant to the conversation at all.

Like I said, Sheppard is probably a better player than Marquis and (definitely) Mejia. Was just naming recent PGs.

I do find it hilariously stupid every time I post and someone disagrees with me, I'm called a PC fan. It truly makes me laugh, so please keep it up.
1 x
Go Rhody
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I was on a plane all night so I didn't get to see this one, but glad we were able to get out of there with a road win. I'll just remain blissfully unaware of how we looked doing it.

Checking out the box score, it seems like Leggett got to the foul line a lot, which hopefully means he is being a little more aggressive out there? If he can continue to turn things around that would be a huge boost.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Stevie Mejia was a true pg. He wasn't a very good one but he was without a doubt a point guard.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

adam914 wrote: 2 years ago I was on a plane all night so I didn't get to see this one, but glad we were able to get out of there with a road win. I'll just remain blissfully unaware of how we looked doing it.

Checking out the box score, it seems like Leggett got to the foul line a lot, which hopefully means he is being a little more aggressive out there? If he can continue to turn things around that would be a huge boost.
why were you on a plane? going somewhere? :lol:
0 x
:lol:
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

McRam wrote: 2 years ago Interested in others opinion, Does the team look and play better when Thomas is running the point.
He gives you everything except offense, and I think that might be a year away. But defense, ball handling, good passing, smart decisions, hustle plays... check check check check check.
The more I watch Bassy play the more I think of a poor man’s Yuri Collins of SLU.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 2 years ago
adam914 wrote: 2 years ago I was on a plane all night so I didn't get to see this one, but glad we were able to get out of there with a road win. I'll just remain blissfully unaware of how we looked doing it.

why were you on a plane? going somewhere? :lol:
Yep, back home to beautiful sunny San Diego after a week in the cold as hell northeast visiting family! Always a great reminder of why I moved. :lol:
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Joe95 wrote: 2 years ago
McRam wrote: 2 years ago Interested in others opinion, Does the team look and play better when Thomas is running the point.
He gives you everything except offense, and I think that might be a year away. But defense, ball handling, good passing, smart decisions, hustle plays... check check check check check.
The more I watch Bassy play the more I think of a poor man’s Yuri Collins of SLU.
I am starting to think that Thomas getting to a serviceable offensive game is key to this season - reminds me a little of the JD's freshmen year and settled down the PG spot and playing it more like a true PG, allowing the other offensive-minded guards to shine. Jeff was a much better offensive player though so as the season went on that started show up in the games more than I think it will Thomas but who knows he has surprised me so much already. That team had a lot of talent, it still needed Jeff to stir the drink to make the tourney.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago 10 turnovers for our bigs. Do we see a pattern forming ?
So how do you fix it? What do you recommend?
Coaching? Telling them to stop putting the ball on the floor and attempting dangerous passes?
I’m not sure how much mileage you get as a coach with “don’t turn it over” and “don’t make bad passes.”

I’d have to go back and watch every turnover by a big we’ve had this year to tell you specifically what the issue is, but I’m sure at least part of it structural - where are they receiving the ball and what are we asking them to do with it once they get it. Are we putting them in positions where they’re likely to make a positive play or are we pulling them away from hoop? Are we giving them good and easy-to-read options for unloading the ball if they don’t win their matchup immediately? Players are ultimately responsible for their own play but coaching does play a part. I just don’t think the kind of coaching required here is “hey please stop throwing the ball to other team.”
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

There was much less dribbling by the bigs last night, I thought. Not completely eliminated, but... better. I don't mind an occasional touch out high with an immediate DHO. Agree with everything else TP said... entry passes, interior passing, etc. are still an issue even if the Mitchells never dribble once outside of the paint. Better positioning and smarter decisions needed.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago Stevie Mejia was a true pg. He wasn't a very good one but he was without a doubt a point guard.
I often think calling a guy a "true" or "pure" point guard is damning with faint praise somewhat - It usually means he's not a great offensive player himself. In that regard, yeah, Mejia and Thomas are pretty similar so far. Thomas is a true freshman and has a chance to get better, but he took one (1) shot in 20 minutes. Better teams are just going to dare him to shoot or leave him open.
0 x