12/1 | Harvard | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Re: 12/1 | Harvard | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by PeteRI »

Shep can't play any worse.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

We got bailed out there , ugly win hard to feel good about it as TP said
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Big ft there nice.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Don't get it with Sheppard.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Twins basketball IQ equals -0-.

Also can we hire a coach who can teach the twins and Walker how to set legal picks.

Turn the ball over like this on Saturday and we lose by 25. Bad passes by virtually everyone.
4 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

PC game could be really ugly.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Maybe closing it out will help them mentally next time they're in a situation like this.

At a certain point it's mental. They start to lose the lead and they freak out. Maybe they have a little more poise next time....
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Glad we won but damn, a 21 point lead leads to a tight game? Again????
2 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago Glad we won but damn, a 21 point lead leads to a tight game? Again????
Against an unathletic team.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

……..well, searching for some take always……..other then the win, not finding much…….not exactly a boost of confidence going into the Dump……
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

eli#10 wrote: 2 years ago Twins basketball IQ equals -0-.

Also can we hire a coach who can teach the twins and Walker how to set legal picks.

Turn the ball over like this on Saturday and we lose by 25. Bad passes by virtually everyone.
Honestly I wouldn’t single them out. The whole team has issues taking care of the ball. Their rim protection has been elite so far, one of the few things this team has actually done well. There are lots of tall guys, so consistently getting your hands on more opponents shots than most of them definitely requires some intelligence about the game in terms of positioning and anticipation and all that. Hopefully they get better with not picking up unnecessary fouls.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Harvard is not the team it was a few years ago but I’ll take the win! Beat PC!
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

First half we looked good… then things took a turn. Basketball is a game of streaks, but we had a lot of decent looks and easy layups that didn’t go down. Need to tighten things up for PC. We won.. let’s move on.
3 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago

I don’t know how anyone that watched this game could feel good about it or use it as a feather in the cap, but I’m pretty sure a couple of our friends here will try anyways.
OK, I'll try. This was a trap game on the road and URI crushed the spread. Cox out-coached Amaker who can recruit any player who wants a degree from Harvard. I think that Cox should call Cooley and postpone the PC game because URI has real student-athletes who need the time to study for finals. Did I make your day?
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Donrxer79
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Donrxer79 »

You mean to tell me that when you go up by 21 points the game isn't over. You really have to play the rest of the game, damn.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

A road win is always good, no matter how ugly. Martin was the MVP tonight and has been our unsung hero all year IMO. Shep did not play well, but we need him on the floor. Once he was put back in the game stabilized, for the most part.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

This game should be a good learning lesson for them, lots of time in the film room.
They really have a lot to clean up.
I love the way Martin is playing this season.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

We turn the ball over like that Saturday and it’s a 30 point game.
0 x
Go Rhody
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

From around the 15 min mark with a 48-27 lead, Harvard outscored us 30-16. That can’t happen.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Sometimes you just can't please anybody. I f the board members were told URI was definitely going to win by 7 before the game everybody on here would have been very happy. Sure they had a very bad stretch where Harvard scored 15 unanswered points , and that included several bad passes and an assortment of turnovers plus two missed fts . Credit to Harvard for hitting a number o f threes and fighting for offensive rebounds and some good, tough put backs. Credit URI for not panicking and to fight through the Harvard comeback . Credit them also for making big free throws in crunch time along
with fighting for some tough rebounds to help seal the deal . They also played an outstanding first half. did everyone forget about that ? I will take
this as a good win on the road that I have seen a couple URI teams lose this type of game . These guys did not let that happen and I am happy about that. And for the bettors, URI covered the spread for the sixth time out of eight games , so they are generally exceeding expectations so far.
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

One thing that used to frustrate me about Hurley was I felt at times he overvalued every offensive possession, like it was gold. Guys would play tight, get yanked if they turned the ball over, and it led to stagnant offense.

Cox, on the other hand, is much more willing to play more freely and let guys play through mistakes and turnovers. While I appreciate that, it goes too far. The same mistakes happen game after game, possession after possession. We have to value the rock more. Sloppy passes. Your big men attempting to bring the ball up the floor and initiate the offense. Undisciplined play. We can really be a team to be reckoned with if we start to value every possession. It has to start with the coaching staff and there have to be consequences for not taking care of the basketball.
Last edited by RoadyJay 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
9 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RoadyJay wrote: 2 years ago One thing that used to frustrate me about Hurley was I felt at times he overvalued every offensive possession, like it was gold. Guys would play tight, get yanked if they turned the ball over, and it led to stagnant offense.

Cox, on the other hand, is much more willing to play more freely and let guys play through mistakes and turnovers. While I appreciate that, it goes too far. The same mistakes happen game after game, possession after possession. We have to value the rock more. Sloppy passes. Your big men attempting to bring the ball up the floor and initiate the offense. Undisciplined play. We can really be a team to reckon with if we start to value every possession. It has to start with the coaching staff and there have to be consequences for not taking care of the basketball.
No he’s not.

Sheppard made a lazy turnover 17 seconds into the second half and sat for 10/11 minutes straight.

He’s done that multiple times with Sheppard this season.
0 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
RoadyJay wrote: 2 years ago One thing that used to frustrate me about Hurley was I felt at times he overvalued every offensive possession, like it was gold. Guys would play tight, get yanked if they turned the ball over, and it led to stagnant offense.

Cox, on the other hand, is much more willing to play more freely and let guys play through mistakes and turnovers. While I appreciate that, it goes too far. The same mistakes happen game after game, possession after possession. We have to value the rock more. Sloppy passes. Your big men attempting to bring the ball up the floor and initiate the offense. Undisciplined play. We can really be a team to reckon with if we start to value every possession. It has to start with the coaching staff and there have to be consequences for not taking care of the basketball.
No he’s not.

Sheppard made a lazy turnover 17 seconds into the second half and sat for 10/11 minutes straight.

And that was Shep's only turnover of the game. 6 of the other 7 players had more. What were the consequences for them?
3 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Malik carried us to this win change my mind
2 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

No he’s not.

You give one example, of one of our leading scorers who scored 0 points tonight, as proof that he is holding players accountable?

Your comment doesn’t address the same mistakes, same sloppiness, game after game. As others have said it needs to be cleaned up and needs to emphasized as a priority.
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago
Joe95 wrote: 2 years ago This team is pathetic man. 22 point lead blown in a blink of an eye. Why can’t they hold on to a lead, is Cox just getting outcoached at halftime of every game?
I don’t know how much of it is down to halftime adjustments. I’m sure Harvard made some, just like FGCU did. And games ebb and flow a little bit also. But to me it’s more that our team is susceptible to this happening because we aren’t disciplined and don’t play smart. I think there’s plenty of talent but we’re mistake prone.
It definitely feels like it's a mental thing. If you're up at the half on the road you *know* the home team is gonna make a run at some point. They always seem to. The key is weathering the run and continuing to execute smart, crisp possessions. I'm HOPING that the fact that they actually won this one gives them some more resolve the next time their opponent makes a push.
5 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

We need to face facts.. shep is not a point guard, that is why we run motion offense, there is no creator and no one without the exception of Thomas that has a point guard mentality.

Thomas clearly has an issue scoring at this stage of his career, but, does play very good defense and does not turn it over. Not really the type of today’ s scoring point guard, but then again neither was KC Jones

Interested in others opinion, Does the team look and play better when Thomas is running the point.

As for the moving picks- why, at this stage of their careers are they still getting called for moving picks. And why, is the coaching staff seemingly unable to fix this
2 x
Tjrams91
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Tjrams91 »

The more things change, the more things stay the same.

We won the game.

They call it survive and advance, for a reason.

Move on. Plenty to learn from.
1 x
Tjrams91
Jeff Kent

McRam wrote: 2 years ago We need to face facts.. shep is not a point guard, that is why we run motion offense, there is no creator and no one without the exception of Thomas that has a point guard mentality.

Thomas clearly has an issue scoring at this stage of his career, but, does play very good defense and does not turn it over. Not really the type of today’ s scoring point guard, but then again neither was KC Jones

Interested in others opinion, Does the team look and play better when Thomas is running the point.

As for the moving picks- why, at this stage of their careers are they still getting called for moving picks. And why, is the coaching staff seemingly unable to fix this

Shep isn’t a PG? Please pass me whatever you are smoking.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

McRam wrote: 2 years ago Interested in others opinion, Does the team look and play better when Thomas is running the point.
He gives you everything except offense, and I think that might be a year away. But defense, ball handling, good passing, smart decisions, hustle plays... check check check check check.
2 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Hey we didn't choke this one away unlike FGCU. Count me in for a good night this Saturday.
1 x
Tjrams91
Jeff Kent

Sure, TO’s are an issue, but they aren’t things you can just will or work away. They are individual MENTAL mistakes. Sure, you can continue to harp on them, but you don’t want your guys tight and start to telegraph passes or overthink. It’s a delicate balance. You want your guards to be the smartest guys on the floor.

If everyone is turning the ball over, are we supposed to put in the water boy to make a statement?

No, you give guys an opportunity to get it back.

Each player has to be coached differently. Some shut down if reprimanded, some get tight, some fight to get it back. Character isn’t something you can necessarily Coach.

It pisses everyone off, assuredly the staff and players way more than us.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Tjrams91 wrote: 2 years ago
McRam wrote: 2 years ago We need to face facts.. shep is not a point guard, that is why we run motion offense, there is no creator and no one without the exception of Thomas that has a point guard mentality.

Jeremy Sheppard is no where near a legitimate true point guard.

Tyson Wheeler, Parfait Bitee, Marquis Jones, Stevie Mejia, Jeff Dowtin, Jarvis Garrett are true PGs.

Sheppard isn’t in the same stratosphere as true PGs like them.

Sure maybe he’s more talented than Jones and Mejia, but as a pure PG he is not.
1 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Steve Mejia and Marquis Jones shouldn’t ever be listed in same sentence as Dowtin, Wheeler and even Bittee.
3 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

10 turnovers for our bigs. Do we see a pattern forming ?
1 x
Tjrams91
Jeff Kent

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago 10 turnovers for our bigs. Do we see a pattern forming ?
So how do you fix it? What do you recommend?
0 x
Tjrams91
Jeff Kent

Jeremy Sheppard is no where near a legitimate true point guard.

Tyson Wheeler, Parfait Bitee, Marquis Jones, Stevie Mejia, Jeff Dowtin, Jarvis Garrett are true PGs.

Sheppard isn’t in the same stratosphere as true PGs like them.

Sure maybe he’s more talented than Jones and Mejia, but as a pure PG he is not.
He’s a scoring PG. He can play the 1 or 2. As can both Ish’s. Pure PGs are like unicorns these days.
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Does the team play better when Thomas is o n the floor versus Sheppard ? My answer to this question is unequivocally no . Thomas thus far has shown
the tendency to take some ill advised shots and has also had some unforced turnovers at inopportune times . He hhas cut down on both in the past two games including tonight which is a good sign . However, at this point I prefer Shepard's ability to hit threes and drive to the hoop . He just didn't look to score that much tonight but we know he can put up 20 on any given night and he doesn't turn the ball over either.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago 10 turnovers for our bigs. Do we see a pattern forming ?
How do you fix it? Coach em up! Do not force passes and show some patience.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Steve Mejia and Marquis Jones shouldn’t ever be listed in same sentence as Dowtin, Wheeler and even Bittee.
Was just listing the recent PGs we’ve had.
0 x
Go Rhody
Tjrams91
Jeff Kent

eli#10 wrote: 2 years ago
So I guess because they still happen, they are not being addressed, or it’s just not something you can fix. Turnovers are mistakes, meaning they are not intended to happen. We are averaging a lot of mistakes — again, that is not something you can coach.

Memphis actually has the highest turnover per game in the country.
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

McRam wrote: 2 years ago ...

While I agree with you, I find Thomas to be an overly cautious passer which gives defenders too much time to setup and less opportunity for the pass receiver to do something productive with the ball. Furthermore, defenders sag off Thomas because they don't respect him as an outside scorer, This reduces space for his passes and makes it more difficult for him to penetrate off the dribble. When his shooting improves, so will his overall game. But, for where he is now, his style of play is most productive for the team.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Steve Mejia and Marquis Jones shouldn’t ever be listed in same sentence as Dowtin, Wheeler and even Bittee.
Big A love your posts! But Marquis Jones had a real solid career at URI started and won a ton of games at URI. He was part of the Baron, we were almost a contender years, where if we had won one more game we were Dancing a couple of Marquis years. As good as Tyson or Dowtin No. But grouped with Meja who I don’t think ever started a game was not fair. Of course it was the Nitwit Friar 15 that grouped these pg together.

GO RHODY!
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

:D ……well, maybe it is time to say…..we are what our record says we are…….the wins have been working through various negative stretches, games with too many turnovers, games with many wtf plays, foul outs, coaching adjustments(lack there of) etc. etc. games with enough positive plays and talent to overcome the negatives…….winning ugly applies for sure…….to think or expect this group will find a switch to turn on a smooth, efficient, and consistent game each nite is not in their DNA…….settling for mediocrity?…….settling for the reality of the big picture?……we are what our record says we are and how we got those wins……winning when the PG scores zero, that can’t be part of the going forward……not feeling real good about Saturday……no?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago :D ……well, maybe it is time to say…..we are what our record says we are…….the wins have been working through various negative stretches, games with too many turnovers, games with many wtf plays, foul outs, coaching adjustments(lack there of) etc. etc. games with enough positive plays and talent to overcome the negatives…….winning ugly applies for sure…….to think or expect this group will find a switch to turn on a smooth, efficient, and consistent game each nite is not in their DNA…….settling for mediocrity?…….settling for the reality of the big picture?……we are what our record says we are and how we got those wins……winning when the PG scores zero, that can’t be part of the going forward……not feeling real good about Saturday……no?
The larger concern a lot of us have is that we are playing the softest schedule in a decade.

So yes, while it’s nice that we’re winning these games in a frustrating fashion - this isn’t how you win basketball against legitimate competition. And if you don’t beat legit competition you don’t go anywhere.

So apologies if most of us aren’t jumping for joy when we blow double digit leads against Q3 teams because we know it won’t work in the games that matter.

Hopefully the trend continues and we show up Saturday.
7 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

I’m optimistic if our guards( Ish,Ish,Shep,Carey,Thomas) can score 40pts total. We win!

GO RHODY!
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
section(105) wrote: 2 years ago :D ……well, maybe it is time to say…..we are what our record says we are…….the wins have been working through various negative stretches, games with too many turnovers, games with many wtf plays, foul outs, coaching adjustments(lack there of) etc. etc. games with enough positive plays and talent to overcome the negatives…….winning ugly applies for sure…….to think or expect this group will find a switch to turn on a smooth, efficient, and consistent game each nite is not in their DNA…….settling for mediocrity?…….settling for the reality of the big picture?……we are what our record says we are and how we got those wins……winning when the PG scores zero, that can’t be part of the going forward……not feeling real good about Saturday……no?
The larger concern a lot of us have is that we are playing the softest schedule in a decade.

So yes, while it’s nice that we’re winning these games in a frustrating fashion - this isn’t how you win basketball against legitimate competition. And if you don’t beat legit competition you don’t go anywhere.

So apologies if most of us aren’t jumping for joy when we blow double digit leads against Q3 teams because we know it won’t work in the games that matter.

Glad they got out of there with a win, but I am sure Cox isn't jumping for joy.
They have a lot they need to clean up on.

Looks like Ish is coming out of his slump.
Another good game for Marin almost a doble/double (13 pts/9 rebs)
He needs to start or play big minutes again Saturday to help contain Durham and Reeves, also matching up with their size.
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

eli#10 wrote: 2 years ago

So I guess because they still happen, they are not being addressed, or it’s just not something you can fix. Turnovers are mistakes, meaning they are not intended to happen. We are averaging a lot of mistakes — again, that is not something you can coach.

Memphis actually has the highest turnover per game in the country.
This is exactly what practice is for. The coaches need to teach and ingrain the bigs on the team to not put the ball on the floor when near the basket. Teach them the proper way to set a screen, so they don't pick up dumb fouls and lose possession. Teach the players passing angles in the low post, different passing types and to identify when the passing lane isn't there and reset. Teach the ball handlers to not pass to poor ball handlers in the open court.

These are pretty easy teachable things that is pretty lost in AAU where fundamentals are not a priority. These small coaching items will save the team a ton of lost possessions. Will players be perfect, of course not, but if you instill the proper way to do things from day 1 to the end of year, you should be able limit these mistakes if you're an effective coach.
Last edited by Sweep The Leg 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
'No Mercy.'
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

One thing I have noticed, and maybe it is because the "Princeton offense" we are running (is that actually true) is new to them this year:
They run the designed 'play' almost mechanically at times.
If the ball is supposed to go into the post, they stare it down and even if it is not available they still force it.
Another example is if the pass to the top of the key is denied, they get stymied.
This happened one time to Walker and the ball handler (Malik Martin) had no where to go.

In other words, if the play is disrupted, they do not have a second option, or at least the second option is not quickly assessed and executed naturally.
For instance, Walker should have cut back door and the motion should have continued, but instead it stopped.
That leads to guys having to go one-on-one or shoot 3s that are not really in the flow.
On that particular play where Walker was denied, Martin made a nice individual play, created space and hit a three.

Maybe this will come with time. If the offense is actually new this year, it is understandable to a point.

Just an observation ...
2 x
Tjrams91
Jeff Kent

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago

So should UCONN fans be concerned that they only beat Q4 UMES by 9 after being neck and neck with them all game?

Just using a comparative example we can all relate to since this board has a forever love affair with Hurls.
2 x