David Cox officially let go by URI (formerly, "Fire Cox")

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Re: FIRE COX

Unread post by adam914 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Majority here clearly want him gone now
Anyone with the ability to read can clearly see that this is 100% false.
8 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago
RhodyKyle wrote: 2 years ago

Other than Fatts -> Ish 2, how is this team different enough from last year's team that somewhat relying on last year's data is invalid?
It's too early to go off of data. Once the NET rankings come out we'll see how many Quad 1 and Quad 2 wins we have. That's what matters to the committee. I can promise you right now we have zero.

That can change this week though!
So it's too early to go off data but not to early in the season to FIRE COX

Got it
You seem VERY angry so I'm not going to keep arguing with you. I'll say one more thing and then I'm done going back and forth with you... You and I both know this isn't just about 7 games...If some fans were fed up after last season and many consider a bad loss to FGCU, I get if they want Cox gone. It's everyone's right to have a freaking opinion on the coach. You don't have to agree with it.. Neither do I

Most have said they want to see what he does this year. I also have said it about 100000000 times... COX DOES NOT DESERVE TO BE FIRED YET. HE HAS THIS SEASON TO TURN IT AROUND.

Walker has averaged 19.7 minutes this season. He got some extra minutes playing with walk-ons in a blowout win. If you want to count that go ahead. I'm talking about playing him when it matters.

If you don't want recruits to see this, stop being the most active person on this thread. You made your point about 1 million times. Move on.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

re: Walker vs. Mitchells and playing time, it is an interesting example of efficiency vs. bulk stats, at least through seven games. If you look at the Per 40 stats for the three players involved, Walker holds a narrow edge on points (16.8 vs. 16.4 and 16.2). However, he's averaging less turnovers (3.2 to 5.7 for Makhi and 4.4 for Makhel). Makhi is averaging 12.7 rebounds, to 8.7 for Walker and 7.4 for Makhel... But Makhel is at 5.3(!) blocks, vs. 2.0 for Makhi and 1.4 for Walker. Makhi is also average 6.1 fouls per 40 minutes, vs. Makhel and Walker at 4.8 and 4.9, suggesting that all three are at-risk of having their PT effected by fouls on any given night. Walker's PER is 24.9, with Makhel at 22.2 and Makhi at 18.1.

I'd probably start Walker and Makhel as a result. I think Walker is kind of like Paul Milsap, in that his game often isn't really that sexy, but he's a really efficient offensive player because he shoots a high percentage and avoids turnovers. Makhel seems like more of a "natural" rim protector than his brother, so he pairs better with Walker. (And all this being said - It's far more inconsistent guard and wing play that's been a bugaboo for Rhody so far, vs. Walker playing 18 to 22 MPG.)
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

It is the same one as used before for dozens of years. I know URI being #1 is going to bother posters, especially those who are trolls and those who want Cox fired now. Got to be tough seeing URI #1, 5-2 and with the 3rd toughest Strength of Schedule among A10 Teams. If it doesn't fit the troll narrative then trash it too along with the coach.

RPI has also been used for the highly popular Weekly "Games of Interest" Thread for years as one of several metrics. Sad it makes posters upset when it favors URI but I understand perfectly why.

NET - NA (112 Last Season)
RPI - 34, up 5
BPI - 83, up 23
Pomeroy - 80, up 15.
Sagarin - 89, up 13.

I’m not in the Fire Cox camp, I just don’t like using RPI because it is outdated.

Also, why is RPI still listed in looking at URI metrics but KenPom isn’t?? Been wondering that all season so far.
That's what Pomeroy is

I'll take a lap after that post, good lord what the hell was I looking at.
3 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

adam914 wrote: 2 years ago
Then the title is inappropriate and misleading
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

I hate doing this because it's putting information from behind a paywall out here for free, but I think the context is such that it's not giving any proprietary information away for free and provides an explanation to those wondering why prior season stats are used in KenPom's rankings.

"There have been two common concerns regarding the pre-season ratings that need to be addressed. The first deals with what happens to them now that games are being played. Currently, the pre-season ratings hold the weight of a little less than five games of play. This figure was selected somewhat arbitrarily, but in doing some testing I felt like it provided suitable resistance to the results of the first few games of the season. I saw enough warts in the system to know that teams need some freedom to move around in the first week or two, but I still trust the system enough to value DePaul’s initial rating more than its 33-point win over Chicago State.

The pre-season ratings will be degraded as real data accumulates. Starting next Monday, the influence of the initial rating will be dropped gradually each day until it reaches zero on the morning of January 23. This seems like a long ways away, but this date was chosen for a couple of reasons.

If you’ve followed my ratings, you understand that the early January version can still have quite a few outliers. Another problem at that time is that unrealistic values can exist for team offense and defense for a handful of teams. Including a bit of pre-season rating will mitigate those issues. Another benefit of stretching the influence out that far is that from day to day, any change in the ratings will be much more due to the previous day’s games than from removing a small amount of pre-season influence. And it’s not like the ratings will be any different on January 22 than January 23. By the time mid-January arrives, the influence of the pre-season ratings will be tiny compared to 15-20 actual games that will have been played by each team.

The other issue that has been raised is what to do about 'raw data.' This is not such a big concern to me because the adjusted data, even as a blend of pre-season prediction and actual schedule-adjusted game values, tells the truest story of a team’s ability. That doesn’t mean there aren’t outliers in the rankings, of course. (But as my critics will tell you, there are outliers in the rankings in April as well.) Most teams are reasonably close to where they should be, but some teams aren’t. However the adjusted, pre-season influenced, data is much better than drawing conclusions based purely on data from games played."
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

It's too early to go off of data. Once the NET rankings come out we'll see how many Quad 1 and Quad 2 wins we have. That's what matters to the committee. I can promise you right now we have zero.

That can change this week though!

Got it
You seem VERY angry so I'm not going to keep arguing with you. I'll say one more thing and then I'm done going back and forth with you... You and I both know this isn't just about 7 games...If some fans were fed up after last season and many consider a bad loss to FGCU, I get if they want Cox gone. It's everyone's right to have a freaking opinion on the coach. You don't have to agree with it.. Neither do I

Most have said they want to see what he does this year. I also have said it about 100000000 times... COX DOES NOT DESERVE TO BE FIRED YET. HE HAS THIS SEASON TO TURN IT AROUND.

Walker has averaged 19.7 minutes this season. He got some extra minutes playing with walk-ons in a blowout win. If you want to count that go ahead. I'm talking about playing him when it matters.

If you don't want recruits to see this, stop being the most active person on this thread. You made your point about 1 million times. Move on.
Not moving on when so many want him fired. Sure I’ve got a ton of posts because I’m one of 2 or 3 that thinks this fire the guy thread is the worst titled thread ever in the history of this board. Worse than him Baron 2.0.

You got one thing right, I’m angry.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

As I've said keep the topic. Don't change it. Perfectly reflects the majority here. Good for recruiting too
The majority have said he deserves this year. That's what I believe. I'm still going to give my opinion on his coaching. Good or bad. I still may have an emotional response during a bad loss. That's sports... We all started responding on the David Cox thread, but then you came back here. If you want to move on, then stop, and let's focus on beating Harvard. You've made your point many, many times..
This thread is titled in CAPS FIRE COX

Can’t be any more clear than that

Recruits see FIRE COX

Majority here clearly want him gone now

Worst titled thread in history of this board and horrific timing when we are 5-2 ranked #1 in A10 in RPI and shooting percentages much improved over last season.

Way too early to throw in the towel. Let the season play out and support the team - not denigrate the team.
You keep saying #1 in A10 RPI, so I propose a bet. I bet you $50 toward the URI athletic department (department area of winner's choice) URI will not finish first, or tied for first, in the A10 conference standings this year. This is a great bet for you, because you clearly think URI is the best team in the conference with the way you keep talking about our RPI and our conference schedule is one of the easiest because of how bad we were last year
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

No it’s not. The title is made by the initial poster to reflect the opinion they want to present at time of posting. Other users then comment with their own opinions and can either agree or disagree with the initial opinion. I’m not aware of any message board on the internet that changes titles of posts to reflect the majority opinion of replies to the original post. But reading the thread shows very clearly that the majority of fans here think Cox deserves the rest of the season to see what happens (myself included).

You’re actually making it worse by incorrectly repeating that the majority of fans want him fired now because some casual observers may read that and think it’s true when it obviously isn’t.
8 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyKyle wrote: 2 years ago I hate doing this because it's putting information from behind a paywall out here for free, but I think the context is such that it's not giving any proprietary information away for free and provides an explanation to those wondering why prior season stats are used in KenPom's rankings.

"There have been two common concerns regarding the pre-season ratings that need to be addressed. The first deals with what happens to them now that games are being played. Currently, the pre-season ratings hold the weight of a little less than five games of play. This figure was selected somewhat arbitrarily, but in doing some testing I felt like it provided suitable resistance to the results of the first few games of the season. I saw enough warts in the system to know that teams need some freedom to move around in the first week or two, but I still trust the system enough to value DePaul’s initial rating more than its 33-point win over Chicago State.

The pre-season ratings will be degraded as real data accumulates. Starting next Monday, the influence of the initial rating will be dropped gradually each day until it reaches zero on the morning of January 23. This seems like a long ways away, but this date was chosen for a couple of reasons.

If you’ve followed my ratings, you understand that the early January version can still have quite a few outliers. Another problem at that time is that unrealistic values can exist for team offense and defense for a handful of teams. Including a bit of pre-season rating will mitigate those issues. Another benefit of stretching the influence out that far is that from day to day, any change in the ratings will be much more due to the previous day’s games than from removing a small amount of pre-season influence. And it’s not like the ratings will be any different on January 22 than January 23. By the time mid-January arrives, the influence of the pre-season ratings will be tiny compared to 15-20 actual games that will have been played by each team.

The other issue that has been raised is what to do about 'raw data.' This is not such a big concern to me because the adjusted data, even as a blend of pre-season prediction and actual schedule-adjusted game values, tells the truest story of a team’s ability. That doesn’t mean there aren’t outliers in the rankings, of course. (But as my critics will tell you, there are outliers in the rankings in April as well.) Most teams are reasonably close to where they should be, but some teams aren’t. However the adjusted, pre-season influenced, data is much better than drawing conclusions based purely on data from games played."
Thanks for providing
No doubt early rankings are not as accurate as rankings as the season moves along.

As KenPom uses previous season results into the next season for a period of time it makes some sense, however, as we now have immediate eligibility upon transferring, grad transfers common, transfers up around 1,700 per year and coaches changing jobs often we now have teams that can be significantly different from previous years.

I still like seeing URI #1 in A10 and #3 in A10 strength of schedule.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Got it

Not moving on when so many want him fired. Sure I’ve got a ton of posts because I’m one of 2 or 3 that thinks this fire the guy thread is the worst titled thread ever in the history of this board. Worse than him Baron 2.0.

Baron 2.0 is a way worse title IMO. You were implying that a coach who had literally resurrected a program destroyed by Baron, was the same guy. URI had already beaten ranked teams that Baron had not. They played tougher schedules than Baron ever put together. There was more national press on this team than at any point during the Baron era. Not for nothing the Baron 2.0 thread literally came a week after the biggest regular season victory in 20 years. A true marquee win.

Now again, I am in the camp that Cox could very obviously turn it around. I very much hope he does. I also absolutely think he could with the talent on this roster.

However, having seen what it takes to make the NCAA tournament quite recently, there's nothing that this team has done in the past 3+ seasons that you could point to and say "we could do that." We've very clearly regressed in every area - buzz, press, and results. So I understand the immediate frustration.

Again, this is a message board. It's not an extension of the athletic department. It's a place for FANS (short for fanatics), to express frustration and share elation together.

Considering we've blown more 3 possession leads in the 2nd half than I can count under Cox, including two in the same weekend, I get people calling for a change. But I also don't think anyone in this thread is assuming you would fire a coach who could still lead this team to the NCAA this year.

But I do not think a thread titled "Fire Cox" makes this board better or worse than any message board out there. I think it makes this a message board for fans who care about this program - like every other one on the internet.

This program has underachieved under this staff relative to the expectations set by this staff itself. I'd be more concerned based on recent history if there was an "EXTEND COX NOW" thread.

Almost as concerning as you saying how happy you are to see URI ranked #1 and #3 in a metric no longer used, even though we both know that's nowhere near reality.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago

Baron 2.0 is a way worse title IMO. You were implying that a coach who had literally resurrected a program destroyed by Baron, was the same guy. URI had already beaten ranked teams that Baron had not. They played tougher schedules than Baron ever put together. There was more national press on this team than at any point during the Baron era. Not for nothing the Baron 2.0 thread literally came a week after the biggest regular season victory in 20 years. A true marquee win.

Now again, I am in the camp that Cox could very obviously turn it around. I very much hope he does. I also absolutely think he could with the talent on this roster.

However, having seen what it takes to make the NCAA tournament quite recently, there's nothing that this team has done in the past 3+ seasons that you could point to and say "we could do that." We've very clearly regressed in every area - buzz, press, and results. So I understand the immediate frustration.

Again, this is a message board. It's not an extension of the athletic department. It's a place for FANS (short for fanatics), to express frustration and share elation together.

Considering we've blown more 3 possession leads in the 2nd half than I can count under Cox, including two in the same weekend, I get people calling for a change. But I also don't think anyone in this thread is assuming you would fire a coach who could still lead this team to the NCAA this year.

But I do not think a thread titled "Fire Cox" makes this board better or worse than any message board out there. I think it makes this a message board for fans who care about this program - like every other one on the internet.

This program has underachieved under this staff relative to the expectations set by this staff itself. I'd be more concerned based on recent history if there was an "EXTEND COX NOW" thread.

Almost as concerning as you saying how happy you are to see URI ranked #1 and #3 in a metric no longer used, even though we both know that's nowhere near reality.
So I’ll call it the 2nd worst titled thread.

The RPI is of course not as accurate now and is not used by the NCAA where Dan Gavitt invented his own NET
NET comes out in 1 week so we will see what it says.

Point again is we are 5-2. Ranked by any measure among the top teams in the A10 - not bottom.

Look at the facts, the shooting percentages, the assists, blocked shots, unselfish play, improved defense.

A lot of posters are missing seeing an improved team on the floor.

Let’s see how this plays out.

And sure it’s a message board. There are far more down on the team than the other view so I’m in a minority for sure.

Sticking with my 25-6 projection.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago So I’ll call it the 2nd worst titled thread.

The RPI is of course not as accurate now and is not used by the NCAA where Dan Gavitt invented his own NET

Point again is we are 5-2. Ranked by any measure among the top teams in the A10 - not bottom.

Look at the facts, the shooting percentages, the assists, blocked shots, unselfish play, improved defense.

And sure it’s a message board. There are far more down on the team than the other view so I’m in a minority for sure.

I’m definitely rooting for you to win the prediction contest that’s for sure!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Walker lowest amount of minutes is 17 and his highest is 23. It's part of the pre-planned rotation. Whether or not a player is playing well or playing poorly does not change the pre-planned rotation.
1 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

Well I have been away from this board for awhile, and I come back and I see a 7 page thread on firing David Cox. Nice, just really nice seven games into the season.

There are some good posters here, but nonsense like this is why I spend less and less time on this board. I have never seen this fanbase act so entitled before. Well I know this board does not represent the fan base in any meaningful way, thank god. I guess it is just the way of the times now, everybody has a microphone with social media, and this is just an extension of that platform.

I think you all know how I feel about Cox, I do not think he is a great coach by any stretch. But man to have a thread on the first page of this forum titled "FIRE COX" in all caps is just pathetic frankly.

I got news for all of you that want to fire Cox. You automatically think they will be better with a new coach?? Not so sure about that. The landscape of college basketball is not what it was even four years ago, and it does not benefit the Rhode Islands of the world in any way. The A10 itself is less relevant than it was five years ago. All things trending down that has nothing to do with David Cox. So OK all our problems will go away firing Cox? I do not think so, it can actually be much much worse. Some of you guys must not remember what it was like being a Rhode Island fan before Dan Hurley. Let me remind you, it was not much fun. We are still closer today to the Hurley Era than the Baron Era. Yes if we can nail the coaching hire, maybe the program ascends. But that is far from a guarantee. Not every coach is going to be Dan Hurley, and could just as easily be Jim Baron or Jim Christian or a number of other coaches that have failed at better situations than Rhode Island.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

4Diffs wrote: 2 years ago Well I have been away from this board for awhile, and I come back and I see a 7 page thread on firing David Cox. Nice, just really nice seven games into the season.

There are some good posters here, but nonsense like this is why I spend less and less time on this board. I have never seen this fanbase act so entitled before. Well I know this board does not represent the fan base in any meaningful way, thank god. I guess it is just the way of the times now, everybody has a microphone with social media, and this is just an extension of that platform.

I think you all know how I feel about Cox, I do not think he is a great coach by any stretch. But man to have a thread on the first page of this forum titled "FIRE COX" in all caps is just pathetic frankly.

I got news for all of you that want to fire Cox. You automatically think they will be better with a new coach?? Not so sure about that. The landscape of college basketball is not what it was even four years ago, and it does not benefit the Rhode Islands of the world in any way. The A10 itself is less relevant than it was five years ago. All things trending down that has nothing to do with David Cox. So OK all our problems will go away firing Cox? I do not think so, it can actually be much much worse. Some of you guys must not remember what it was like being a Rhode Island fan before Dan Hurley. Let me remind you, it was not much fun. We are still closer today to the Hurley Era than the Baron Era. Yes if we can nail the coaching hire, maybe the program ascends. But that is far from a guarantee. Not every coach is going to be Dan Hurley, and could just as easily be Jim Baron or Jim Christian or a number of other coaches that have failed at better situations than Rhode Island.
Not only are we not closer to the Hurley era than the Baron era, this is EXACTLY what the Baron era was.
3 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

4Diffs wrote: 2 years ago Well I have been away from this board for awhile, and I come back and I see a 7 page thread on firing David Cox. Nice, just really nice seven games into the season.

Did we just discover Ramster’s burner account?
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Holy crap, the Baron era is back and it's back big baby! You can't judge past performance, this year is different! You can't talk about how bad things are, YOU'LL SCARE AWAY THE RECRUITS!! WHAT IF THE NEXT COACH IS WORSE!!!

God, there are a group of people on this board that love mediocrity
10 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Just a fun factoid. Not lobbying either direction yet. When URI fired Baron Woj said URI was dumb because they wont find a better coach. Yes I know Woj also went to St Bona and is a honk, but either way we know how that worked out. Cox may yet still work out how we all hoped, but if we are to move on it is short simply not accurate to say that there is no way URI could find a better coach.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

How dare these entitled fans want the coach to follow through on the expectations he set for the program!

Take your middle of the pack finishes and predictions in a 2 bid league and like it!
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

STC wrote: 2 years ago

Could just as easily say that about anyone on the other side of the fence. (Rhowdy, blueram, Blueman, Billyboy, stevey, the list goes on…)

My mother used to say, “never argue with fools, because people from a distance can’t tell who’s who…” , I certainly am not making her very proud.

I’m going to bow out, this board is a cesspool….hopefully I stick to my word, not only for my sake, but for everyone else’s as well.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Before I go, 25-6 is lofty, but again, GO FUCKIN RHODY!
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

DC_Rams wrote: 2 years ago

Did we just discover Ramster's burner account?
Could just as easily say that about anyone on the other side of the fence. (Rhowdy, blueram, Blueman, Billyboy, stevey, the list goes on…)

My mother used to say, "never argue with fools, because people from a distance can't tell who's who…", I certainly am not making her very proud.

I'm going to bow out, this board is a cesspool….hopefully I stick to my word, not only for my sake, but for everyone else's as well.
I'm on the other side of the fence because I call you out for your immature name-calling toward people that have been fans of this program much longer than you have? You've yet to respond with anything basketball-related.. All you do is talk crap to other people on here and praise anyone that gives Cox an A+ for every single performance. Unlike you, I've admitted when Cox has done well. I've acknowledged when we have had good wins and when he's coached a good game. I've been nothing but honest about how I feel about every game. Instead, you blame everything on everyone but Cox and are cruel to anyone that dares to say something negative about him.

The only way you'll leave is if Cox keeps having bad losses. The next time we have a good win you're going to come on here and act like that wasn't what we all wanted.
5 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

My mother used to say, “never argue with fools, because people from a distance can’t tell who’s who…” , I certainly am not making her very proud.

I’m going to bow out, this board is a cesspool….hopefully I stick to my word, not only for my sake, but for everyone else’s as well.
So we will look to hear from you after the game tonight if they win? You will be back blasting someone who thinks Cox needs to be replaced.
3 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

…….my guess is DCRams will not be gone for long…….
3 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RamStock wrote: 2 years ago

So we will look to hear from you after the game tonight if they win? You will be back blasting someone who thinks Cox needs to be replaced.
No this poster is not me. Good try though.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Nope.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

I’m not in the Fire Cox camp, I just don’t like using RPI because it is outdated.

Also, why is RPI still listed in looking at URI metrics but KenPom isn’t?? Been wondering that all season so far.
That's what Pomeroy is

We've all been there, haha. Getting back on topic, your oversight still isn't in the same galaxy as preparing for an injured Tre Mitchell when everyone else knew he wasn't playing.
3 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

My burner account is Adam914
5 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

25-6 is basically a donation to the winner, not sure how this team goes 20-4 the rest of the way based on what I've seen so far.
Hope I'm wrong
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

That's what Pomeroy is

We've all been there, haha. Getting back on topic, your oversight still isn't in the same galaxy as preparing for an injured Tre Mitchell when everyone else knew he wasn't playing.
A firing offense.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Shinze88 wrote: 2 years ago

25-6 is basically a donation to the winner, not sure how this team goes 20-4 the rest of the way based on what I've seen so far.
Hope I'm wrong
Then so be it.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

See ya. Oh, and thanks for the early Christmas gift. You're awesome!
4 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

Fire Cox talk only 3 weeks into the season at 5-2 is a joke. Let's see what happens tonight and on Saturday.
2 x
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

It’s more like a 7-page thread on the fact that the thread on firing David Cox exists.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

No it’s not. The title is made by the initial poster to reflect the opinion they want to present at time of posting. Other users then comment with their own opinions and can either agree or disagree with the initial opinion. I’m not aware of any message board on the internet that changes titles of posts to reflect the majority opinion of replies to the original post. But reading the thread shows very clearly that the majority of fans here think Cox deserves the rest of the season to see what happens (myself included).

You’re actually making it worse by incorrectly repeating that the majority of fans want him fired now because some casual observers may read that and think it’s true when it obviously isn’t.
I went back and read the first several pages. Looking at the comments it appears the majority have all made up their minds. No in-between. Whether to fire now or wait til end of season is not really a topic.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I went back and read the first several pages. Looking at the comments it appears the majority have all made up their minds. No in-between. Whether to fire now or wait til end of season is not really a topic.
0 x
Tjrams91
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Tjrams91 »

Ramster, if you’re against, try not to reply to it any longer or it gets bumped right back to the top.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago

The majority have said he deserves this year. That's what I believe. I'm still going to give my opinion on his coaching. Good or bad. I still may have an emotional response during a bad loss. That's sports... We all started responding on the David Cox thread, but then you came back here. If you want to move on, then stop, and let's focus on beating Harvard. You've made your point many, many times..
This thread is titled in CAPS FIRE COX

Can’t be any more clear than that

Recruits see FIRE COX

Majority here clearly want him gone now

Worst titled thread in history of this board and horrific timing when we are 5-2 ranked #1 in A10 in RPI and shooting percentages much improved over last season.

Way too early to throw in the towel. Let the season play out and support the team - not denigrate the team.
You keep saying #1 in A10 RPI, so I propose a bet. I bet you $50 toward the URI athletic department (department area of winner's choice) URI will not finish first, or tied for first, in the A10 conference standings this year. This is a great bet for you, because you clearly think URI is the best team in the conference with the way you keep talking about our RPI and our conference schedule is one of the easiest because of how bad we were last year
RR,
That’s a tough bet. Being #1 is tough but we could be close.

Here from warrennolan.com is RPI analysis through 8 games or just over 1/4 the season and 8/13th of OOC games.
  • URI ranked 29th. 49th strength of schedule SOS. Highest ranked A10 team. Not such a weak schedule considering so many road and neutral court games
  • PC ranked 12th. 29th SOS
  • Davidson is next A10 team ranked 38th, 64th SOS
  • Full season prediction has URI finishing 25-6 = exactly my preseason contest prediction
  • Has URI losing to PC 70-68 so no need to dispair or fire anybody after the game if we lose tomorrow. :D :D Still on track for 25-6

Maryland is now ranked #143 and #121 SOS. Maryland was Top 10 in Early Rankings last Spring/Summer but struggling in the first 8 games of the season.

Maybe we had addition by subtraction not only with Jermaine Harris and his 14 minutes per game but also with Fatts Russell moving to Maryland. Some URI players making the most of the opportunity.

Would be something if URI dances and Maryland doesn’t.
BF746091-52AC-4186-B359-D0375A1B82C0.png
https://www.warrennolan.com/basketball/ ... ode-Island
BF746091-52AC-4186-B359-D0375A1B82C0.png
Attachments
E32334D2-4992-403C-B034-303263F1D2F0.jpeg
Last edited by ramster 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Your posts make up just about a full page worth of this entire thread, most just over the last two days. At this point you're really the only one keeping the Fire Cox message going.

As I've said I am in wait and see mode until the end of the season. If you want to continue your temper tantrum you can find someone else to engage with you on it.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

This Twitter account which follows St Louis basketball had an interesting breakdown of the salaries for coaches in the A-10. I cannot vouch for its complete accuracy but the number for Cox does appear to correlate to my earlier post regarding his compensation per his contract.

Based on this breakdown which had the numbers for 12 of the 14 A-10 member schools, URI is toward the bottom (along with LaSalle, Fordham, St. Joe's) for head coach compensation. Given past pleas from Dan Hurley on the issue, URI probably still also continues to have a low assistant coaching salary pool as well.

I myself was shocked to see that St Bonaventure, a school located in a very small rural town with an undergrad enrollment less than 2k and relatively small endowment ($75M), is able to pay its head coach over $1M. SBU is not generating a lot of program revenue in its small capacity gym with attendance and ticket price numbers less than Rhody. It is furthermore worth noting that nearly half the league pays their coach in excess of $1M, considerably more than URI.

1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago This Twitter account which follows St Louis basketball had an interesting breakdown of the salaries for coaches in the A-10. I cannot vouch for its complete accuracy but the number for Cox does appear to correlate to my earlier post regarding his compensation per his contract.

Based on this breakdown which had the numbers for 12 of the 14 A-10 member schools, URI is toward the bottom (along with LaSalle, Fordham, St. Joe's) for head coach compensation. Given past pleas from Dan Hurley on the issue, URI probably still also continues to have a low assistant coaching salary pool as well.

I myself was shocked to see that St Bonaventure, a school located in a very small rural town with an undergrad enrollment less than 2k and relatively small endowment ($75M), is able to pay its head coach over $1M. SBU is not generating a lot of program revenue in its small capacity gym with attendance and ticket price numbers less than Rhody. It is furthermore worth noting that nearly half the league pays their coach in excess of $1M, considerably more than URI.

Right, but how much of that is because we have a first time head coach in their first contract? In other words, yes we're towards the bottom, but why wouldn't we be in this situation? There's no sense paying David Cox say $1.5 million per year just to move us away from the bottom, you pay for experience and results
4 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The next coach is going to cost more, believe me.

What RR2 said is completely true.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Bump. Tomorrow.
4 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

This is more a support group than a message board nowadays.
2 x
'No Mercy.'
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

I hope Thorr and our new Prez have started interviewing for his successor because I can't take any more inept game management after today. Taking our best facilitator in the game (Thomas) out when he was largely responsible for cutting the deficit down to 6 points was inexcusable.
4 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

This was the official death knell, no tournament this year, next year looks worse. Blech
0 x
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

Unread post by CaptainRon »

This game didn’t help, but it didn’t hurt. Q1 loss on the road.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Ultimately I don't think today changed much. Give him until the end of the year, but get that short list ready.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Wait, don't be to hasty. We have a 6'10 center who can dribble through a press and the coach thinks it's great.
1 x