Week #4 - Games of Interest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Week #4 - Games of Interest

Unread post by Obadiah »

With a surprising loss on their home court to Northern Iowa, St. Bonaventure drops out of the Top 25 AP poll and slides to # 25 in the Coaches poll. Saint Louis gets 3 votes in the Coaches Poll. Let me see if I have this right - the Bonnies lose a game and drop significantly in both polls, UConn loses a game and moves up 4 and 5 places in those same polls.

Despite Dayton's fine win over #4 Kansas, the A-10 OOC record deteriorated from last week and now stands at 54-43, .557.

URI suffered a bad loss to FGCU, a so-so Atlantic Sun team. On Saturday, they got some redemption with a home court blow out of a decidedly undermanned Georgia State. I took away absolutely nothing from the win over GSU. In fact, if anything I wondered why the Rams did not blast them out of the gate sort of like Villanova's start versus La Salle. After seven games, the identity of this team is still murky, but the outcomes in this week's two road games will certainly change that.

Reflecting a OOC schedule, best described as mediocre, the combined won-loss record of URI OOC opponents stands at 49-34, .590, one of the poorer early results in recent years.

Despite the past week's 1-1 record , all key URI metrics showed big increases which highlights the weakness in the rating systems as they all exaggerated the blowout win over Georgia State.

NET - NA (112 Last Season)
RPI - 34, up 5
BPI - 83, up 23
Pomeroy - 80, up 15.
Sagarin - 89, up 13.

Monday action in the A-10:

No games

In games involving URI OOC opponents:

South Florida at Boston College 7 PM. On ACCN.

Tulsa at Oral Roberts, 8 PM.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Re: Week #4 - Games of Interest

Unread post by Obadiah »

The two URI OOC opponents in action tonight split their results, - BC leading most of the way defeated South Florida, 64-49 and Tulsa fell to Oral Roberts, 87-80. Tulsa losing to ORU just underscores the Florida trip disappointment.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Obadiah wrote: 2 years ago The two URI OOC opponents in action tonight split their results, - BC leading most of the way defeated South Florida, 64-49 and Tulsa fell to Oral Roberts, 87-80. Tulsa losing to ORU just underscores the Florida trip disappointment.
ORU was a Sweet 16 team last year, and seconds away from the Elite 8.

Also have Max Abmas who will be in the NBA next season.
0 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
Obadiah wrote: 2 years ago The two URI OOC opponents in action tonight split their results, - BC leading most of the way defeated South Florida, 64-49 and Tulsa fell to Oral Roberts, 87-80. Tulsa losing to ORU just underscores the Florida trip disappointment.
ORU was a Sweet 16 team last year, and seconds away from the Elite 8.

Also have Max Abmas who will be in the NBA next season.
Kenpom has Oral Roberts 177 currently.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Tuesday action in the A-10:

Davidson at Charlotte, 7 PM.

Saint Louis at Boise State, 9 PM.

Sacred Heart at NJIT, 7 PM. On ESPN3.

Tulane at Charleston, 7:30 PM.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

St Louis Boise gonna be a war
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Georgia State cancels men's basketball game because of COVID, injuries

ATLANTA -- Georgia State has canceled its men's basketball game Wednesday against Tennessee State because of COVID-19 protocols and injuries.

The Panthers (4-2) lost 94-59 on Saturday at Rhode Island with a squad that included only seven scholarship players and nine players overall.

One player was out after testing positive for COVID-19, others were unable to travel because of contract tracing and the roster was further depleted by injuries.

Georgia State announced that Wednesday's home game against Tennessee State was called off "out of an abundance of caution" and wouldn't be rescheduled.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

……..
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

DC_Rams wrote: 2 years ago……..
LOL…made sure to delete that hot Shaka take real quick once they ended up winning by 30!
3 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The A-10 garnered two nice road wins tonight. Davidson beat Charlotte, 75-58 with the Wildcats leading most of the game and building a double digit lead early in the second half. In a close and exciting game throughout, Saint Louis defeated Boise State in OT, 86-82. Good teams win big road games.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Nice win Billikens !!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Obadiah wrote: 2 years ago The A-10 garnered two nice road wins tonight. Davidson beat Charlotte, 75-58 with the Wildcats leading most of the game and building a double digit lead early in the second half. In a close and exciting game throughout, Saint Louis defeated Boise State in OT, 86-82. Good teams win big road games.
Hyunjung Lee for Davidson with career high 32 points on 6-12 3Ps and 8-8 FTs
Lee also had a career high 14 rebounds.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Ohio State, who needed a last second shot to beat Akron, just beat Duke.

This is why Vegas lines don’t mean shit.

It doesn’t mean the “better” team will show up and meet or beat the projection.

This is why the game is played. Nothing is a forgone conclusion.

If games are determined by who is “supposed” to or “should” win, then why even play?
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Lots of Wednesday action in the A-10 headlined by the URI
visit to Harvard, 7 PM. On ESPN+.:

Richmond at Wofford, 7 PM. On ESPN+

La Salle at Temple, 7 PM. On ESPN+.

Boston U. at George Washington, 7 PM. On ESPN+.

St. Francis (BKN) at Fordham, 7 PM. On ESPN+.

Alabama State at Dayton, 7 PM. On ESPN+.

Binghamton at Saint Joseph's, 7 PM. On ESPN+.

Coppin State at #25 St. Bonaventure, 7 PM. On ESPN+.

Bowling Green at Duquesne, 7 PM. On ESPN+.

Also, Indiana State at Loyola Chicago, 8 PM. On ESPN+.

Brown at UMass Lowell,. 7 PM. On ESPN+.

Florida Gulf Coast at Florida International, 7 PM. On ESPN+.

Texas Tech at Providence, 8:30 PM. On FS1. Big East-Big 12 Battle.

Tennessee State at Georgia State cancelled due to Covid protocol.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Richmond @ Wofford is a good one. Wofford upset Georgia at Georgia on Sunday by 3 points

Like that you have added Loyola of Chicago to the A10 Games :D
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Obadiah wrote: 2 years ago Georgia State cancels men's basketball game because of COVID, injuries

ATLANTA -- Georgia State has canceled its men's basketball game Wednesday against Tennessee State because of COVID-19 protocols and injuries.

The Panthers (4-2) lost 94-59 on Saturday at Rhode Island with a squad that included only seven scholarship players and nine players overall.

One player was out after testing positive for COVID-19, others were unable to travel because of contract tracing and the roster was further depleted by injuries.

Georgia State announced that Wednesday's home game against Tennessee State was called off "out of an abundance of caution" and wouldn't be rescheduled.

Will this be considered a forfeit? Georgia State is a member of the Sun Belt which announced this past summer that it will not allow games to be rescheduled for Covid this season. Teams that cannot practice or play during a given week due to the virus will have to forfeit games, which such games showing up as losses in the standings. Is the Georgia State game versus TSU under a different set of rules given it is an OOC game and not a Sun Belt league game?
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago
Obadiah wrote: 2 years ago Georgia State cancels men's basketball game because of COVID, injuries

Will this be considered a forfeit? Georgia State is a member of the Sun Belt which announced this past summer that it will not allow games to be rescheduled for Covid this season. Teams that cannot practice or play during a given week due to the virus will have to forfeit games, which such games showing up as losses in the standings. Is the Georgia State game versus TSU under a different set of rules given it is an OOC game and not a Sun Belt league game?
This would be a forfeit if it was a Sun Belt game, but as a OOC game, it is just a cancellation. Besides avoiding a potential loss, GSU took the action because it was their home game and there was no financial impact on the Tennessee State. This may explain why GSU did not cancel the game with us, since that would have cost URI some $70-80,000. They took the loss instead.

My only criticism was why the entire GSU athletics staff and players are not subjected to a vaccine mandate. Sun Belt schools who have followed that protocol should be rightfully pissed if their games wirh GSU are cancelled especially home games.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

St Bonaventure down 10 to 1-9 Coppin State

What are they???
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago St Bonaventure down 10 to 1-9 Coppin State

What are they???
I'd guess they were disinterested.
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Bonnies up 11 now.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That kid Al Durham is a player for PC he gonna cause us problems

ASU lost 51-29 at home to Wash St, say it ain’t so Bobby H !!
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

reef wrote: 2 years ago That kid Al Durham is a player for PC he gonna cause us problems

Remember when Ramster said Durham wouldn’t even be an impact player at PC?
1 x
Go Rhody
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

reef wrote: 2 years ago That kid Al Durham is a player for PC he gonna cause us problems

Only our favorite pc fan pc15 would remember Ramster said Durham wouldn’t even be an impact player at pc!

GO RHODY!
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

brady1 wrote: 2 years ago

Only our favorite pc fan pc15 would remember Ramster said Durham wouldn’t even be an impact player at pc!

GO RHODY!
Ah yes, whenever I say something than isn’t 10000X pro and bias URI, I’ll get called a PC fan.

A tale as old as time.
0 x
Go Rhody
Tjrams91
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Tjrams91 »

I believe that game he had last night will be an outlier. He made 5 FGs. Got to the line a bunch. Padded stats IMO.

It’ll be a cold day in hell before I give anyone from Providence credit. FCUK PC! Go RHODDDDDYYYY!
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

A-10 went 6-3 last night with the Richmond road win over a good Wofford team and the URI road win at Harvard being the best two wins.

No Thursday action in the A-10.

Sacred Heart at Lafayette. 7 PM.

Youngstown State at Milwaukee, 8 PM. On ESPN+.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

GO RHODY!
Ah yes, whenever I say something than isn’t 10000X pro and bias URI, I’ll get called a PC fan.

A tale as old as time.
Haha! Brady you were the first to call out the Friar Fan early on as did a couple others before I caught on - I’m slow like that but got it now.

I knew my Durham statement would stick with Friar15.
AJ Reeves ranked #53 ESPN has never reached expectations and even now has not been in the starting line up consistently. Opened the door to turnover-man Durham who thinks he can play point guard.

I’ve heard through the grapevine that the game will be cancelled anyway with the rise in Covid cases and the recent URI 2-game win streak striking fear into Ed, his staff and his players.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago

GO RHODY!

A tale as old as time.
Haha! Brady you were the first to call out the Friar Fan early on as did a couple others before I caught on - I’m slow like that but got it now.

AJ Reeves ranked #53 ESPN has never reached expectations and even now has not been in the starting line up consistently. Opened the door to turnover-man Durham who thinks he can play point guard.

I’ve heard through the grapevine that the game will be cancelled anyway with the rise in Covid cases and the recent URI 2-game win streak striking fear into Ed, his staff and his players.

Reeves has to be one of the biggest busts in their history, right?

Came in with similar fanfare as David Duke yet has never came close to meeting expectations.
0 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

In the Bonnies win over Coppin State yesterday 93-81, their star PG Kyle Lofton was injured.
Rumors are it is an ankle sprain and he will miss a couple of weeks, no official announcement yet.

https://www.oleantimesherald.com/sports ... 9aa05.html
https://www.bradfordera.com/sports/loft ... 38af5.html
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Oh my big injury !!
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago Reeves has to be one of the biggest busts in their history, right?

Came in with similar fanfare as David Duke yet has never came close to meeting expectations.
He's a decent player, but his freshmen year people were talking about the NBA... lol.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago

A tale as old as time.

Reeves has to be one of the biggest busts in their history, right?

Ashton-Langford. ESPN top 50 player. People literally said *pauses for laughter* he was going to be better than Jeff Dowtin.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Another evening of no action in the A-10 on Friday.

Notre Dame at Boston College, 6 PM. On ACCN.

Charleston at Furman, 7 PM. On ESPN+.

Bryant at #15 Houston, 8 PM. On ESPN+.

Tulsa at Boise State, 9 PM.

Other games of interest:

#8 Kansas at St. John's, 7 PM. On FS1. Big East-Big 12 Battle. The game will be played in the recently opened - November, 2021 - 17,500 seat UBS Arena at Belmont Park in Elmont, NY, new home of the NY Islanders of the NHL and replaces the Nassau Coliseum which was the second smallest arena in the NHL. This will be the first college basketball game played in the arena. Iona is slated to host Delaware there later in December.
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

GO BC!!!!

GO RHODY!!!
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Bad news for UConn on injury front.
0 x
RIrugger01
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RIrugger01 »

BC up by 18 over Norte Dame in the second half
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Look at BC go!
1 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

BC 73-57 over Notre Dame.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

eli#10 wrote: 2 years ago BC 73-57 over Notre Dame.
Outside of BC, I must say Notre Dame isn't afraid to play anyone, OOC schedule includes: St. Mary's, Texas A&M, Illinois, Kentucky, Indiana.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Impressive win by BC I guess they are better than we thought
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 2 years ago Impressive win by BC I guess they are better than we thought
I thought BC was a pretty solid team in both games we played them.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Our 2 wins over them are definitely looking better and better
3 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Bryant gets absolutely pasted by Houston, 111-44.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Nice win by BC over Notre Dame, but our other OOC opponents and scrimmage partner did not fare as well.

Bryant was taken to the woodshed by Houston which beat the Bulldogs by almost 70 points, 111-44.

Also, #8 Kansas led all the way in defeating St. John's, 95-75. The storm got as close as 3 points with 10 minutes left in game, but in less than 6 minutes the Jayhawks exploded the lead to 20 which they maintained to game's end. That's what good teams do.

Tulsa put up a good fight, but lost the lead in the closing minutes to fall to Boise State, 63-58.

Charleston blew its 8 point halftime lead and lost in OT to Furman, 91-88.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jeez Bryant say it ain’t so 111-44
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago Bad news for UConn on injury front.
Three words:

Boo.
Hoo.
Hoo.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Lots of action in the A-10 on Saturday with Ram fan attention focused on The Rivalry Game between URI and PC, at the Dunk, 2 PM. On CBSSN.

In other A-10 games:

Saint Joseph's at Villanova, 12 Noon. On FS1.

Harvard at UMass, 12 Noon. On ESPN+. UMass is undefeated at Mullins so far,

Holy Cross at La Salle, 2 PM. On ESPN+.

George Washington at Charlotte, 2 PM. On ESPN+.

Northern Illinois at Dayton, 2 PM. On ESPN+.

William & Mary at Davidson, 3 PM. On ESPN+.

Campbell at VCU, 4 PM. On ESPN+.

Buffalo at St. Bonaventure, 4 PM.

UAB at Saint Louis , 6:30 PM. On ESPN+.

Old Dominion at George Mason, 7 PM. On ESPN+.

Duquesne at Marshall, 7 PM. On ESPN+.

Loyola Chicago at De Paul, 4 PM. Battle in Chicago between the Jesuits and the Vincentians. De Paul is currently undefeated at 6-0. De Paul is the largest Catholic university in the country in terms of enrollment.

Robert Morris at Milwaukee, 12 Noon. On ESPNU. Robert Morris is winless at 6-0.

Binghamton at Boston U., 1 PM.

Georgia State at Mercer 2 PM. On ESPN+.

Dartmouth at Florida Gulf Coast, 7 PM. On ESPN+.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Obadiah wrote: 2 years ago Lots of action in the A-10 on Saturday with Ram fan attention focused on The Rivalry Game between URI and PC, at the Dunk, 2 PM. On CBSSN.

In other A-10 games:

Saint Joseph's at Villanova, 12 Noon. On FS1.

Harvard at UMass, 12 Noon. On ESPN+. UMass is undefeated at Mullins so far,

Holy Cross at La Salle, 2 PM. On ESPN+.

George Washington at Charlotte, 2 PM. On ESPN+.

Northern Illinois at Dayton, 2 PM. On ESPN+.

William & Mary at Davidson, 3 PM. On ESPN+.

Campbell at VCU, 4 PM. On ESPN+.

Buffalo at St. Bonaventure, 4 PM.

UAB at Saint Louis , 6:30 PM. On ESPN+.

Old Dominion at George Mason, 7 PM. On ESPN+.

Duquesne at Marshall, 7 PM. On ESPN+.

Loyola Chicago at De Paul, 4 PM. Battle in Chicago between the Jesuits and the Vincentians. De Paul is currently undefeated at 6-0. De Paul is the largest Catholic university in the country in terms of enrollment.

Robert Morris at Milwaukee, 12 Noon. On ESPNU. Robert Morris is winless at 6-0.

Binghamton at Boston U., 1 PM.

Georgia State at Mercer 2 PM. On ESPN+.

Dartmouth at Florida Gulf Coast, 7 PM. On ESPN+.
Great lineup of basketball games today, plus the Georgia/Alabama football game at 4:00 CBS.
My wife won't be happy with me today.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago Great lineup of basketball games today, plus the Georgia/Alabama football game at 4:00 CBS.
My wife won't be happy with me today.
Haha absolutely, it’s going to be tough to leave the couch at any point today!!
0 x