David Cox

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: David Cox

Unread post by bigappleram »

I’m not going to nitpick it and I think it’s a positive that he acknowledged it. Takes confidence to say it and shows he feels accountability for some disappointments.
3 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago The comment about "Reclaiming the culture". Where did it go in the first place? And why did it take 3 full years to attempt to reclaim it?
…….it went to Storrs…….DC probably thought it was just live on in the buildings cause it was here, and didn’t need any care, feeding, and continued maintenance to keep growing, once established it needs to be attended to…….No?
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago The comment about "Reclaiming the culture". Where did it go in the first place? And why did it take 3 full years to attempt to reclaim it?
…….it went to Storrs…….DC probably thought it was just live on in the buildings cause it was here, and didn’t need any care, feeding, and continued maintenance to keep growing, once established it needs to be attended to…….No?
And it took 3 full years to realize this?
1 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
it took coxie 3 years to anyway
0 x
:lol:
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Hes constantly said some variation of "maintaining the culture" or "reclaiming the culture" every single season he's been here.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago
…….it went to Storrs…….DC probably thought it was just live on in the buildings cause it was here, and didn't need any care, feeding, and continued maintenance to keep growing, once established it needs to be attended to…….No?
Hes constantly said some variation of "maintaining the culture" or "reclaiming the culture" every single season he's been here.
Yes, this isn't new. He also said we want to win championships and get a bid but you know who flips out on us when we are disappointed if it doesn't happen..
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago

Yes, this isn't new. He also said we want to win championships and get a bid but you know who flips out on us when we are disappointed if it doesn't happen..
Yeah that angry guy from the capitol
2 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

I really don't want to start the season with a negative Cox quote, but, the way I see it, many bb fans know that he should have said, "did some good things; but we are way away from being what we can be and being competitive in the league-- we have a lot of work to do"

NOT, in a low monotone, u r happy with where we stand by having a blow out over a "high school team.

Just thinking of what DH would have said after the game.....................................................
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

So, Samb is being redshirted this year.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Definitely saying all the right things , let’s see if we can put it all together
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago So, Samb is being redshirted this year.
I guess that is true based on the last interview with DiSano.

I am a little concerned about our depth up front.
Makhel - Prior to last season, he had a history of injury issues.
Makhi - Just coming off of ACL surgery
Walker - Love his athleticism but has been inconsistent at times.
Ileri - RS freshman, 1st time playing div.1, don't know what to expect.

Even before this announcement by Cox, I was worried about our depth of bigs.
I was hoping that in the off season we would pick up a grad transfer big, to gives us minutes off the bench.
Our team needs to stay healthy this year.
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago

I was hoping that in the off season we would pick up a grad transfer big, to gives us minutes off the bench.
I mean I think this goes for just about any basketball team. Not sure how many teams you’re going to find where their 4th big is better than a freshmen. Not to mention I’d argue our 3rd best big (you pick who that is of 3) is better than most in the conference. The rotation will also just go smaller with Martin playing the 4 when need be.

Don’t slander walker. Inconsistent? Led the A10 in FG% last year
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago

I mean I think this goes for just about any basketball team. Not sure how many teams you’re going to find where their 4th big is better than a freshmen. Not to mention I’d argue our 3rd best big (you pick who that is of 3) is better than most in the conference. The rotation will also just go smaller with Martin playing the 4 when need be.

Not trying to slander Walker (one of my favorite players), but he was inconsistent at times last season. I think he is one of our best players and as I posted several times I think he should start. His FG% was excellent but sometimes he didn't seem to be in the flow of the offense or disappeared. Not sure if that was his fault though. I feel he is capable of being a double digit scorer every game.

I think our frontcourt is our strength but our durability may come into question as I stated above.
I feel our situation/depth is far from critical but I am concerned. I just wish we had a little more insurance.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Not trying to slander Walker (one of my favorite players), but he was inconsistent at times last season. I think he is one of our best players and as I posted several times I think he should start. His FG% was excellent but sometimes he didn't seem to be in the flow of the offense or disappeared. Not sure if that was his fault though. I feel he is capable of being a double digit scorer every game.

I think our frontcourt is our strength but our durability may come into question as I stated above.
I feel our situation/depth is far from critical but I am concerned. I just wish we had a little more insurance.
Jersey, that’s a tall ask. You have to find guys willing to be the 4th or 5th. Samb isn’t ready to be that. I think we have enough options, if we stay healthy, to be a formidable force in the interior.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

DC_Rams wrote: 2 years ago

Jersey, that’s a tall ask. You have to find guys willing to be the 4th or 5th. Samb isn’t ready to be that. I think we have enough options, if we stay healthy, to be a formidable force in the interior.
I know DC it wouldn't of been easy to find a grad center in the portal willing to play bench minutes, but there are usually those type of players available. Besides they also get a free year of grad school in addition to competitive team play.

Maybe I am being over cautious, but I hate to see that open scholarship not used. With AB out and Samb redshirting that only gives us a total of 10 scholarship players available going into the season.
I guess they can always pull Samb's redshirt in case of an emergency situation.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I know DC it wouldn't of been easy to find a grad center in the portal willing to play bench minutes, but there are usually those type of players available. Besides they also get a free year of grad school in addition to competitive team play.

Maybe I am being over cautious, but I hate to see that open scholarship not used. With AB out and Samb redshirting that only gives us a total of 10 scholarship players available going into the season.
Having 10-11 guys doesn’t benefit us, as we saw last season. Just hope for the best. Speak positivity into existence lol
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Having 10-11 guys doesn’t benefit us, as we saw last season. Just hope for the best. Speak positivity into existence lol
Yes I think a regular rotation of 8-9 is ideal, but I always like the additional insurance. You never know about injuries, outside issues, mid season transfers, etc. Like I said I tend to be over cautious, LOL.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Samb is the insurance. They can abandon the plan to redshirt him at any time.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Thomas was a redshirt too going into the season. Cox said Thomas played himself out of redshirting. A player can come off redshirt at any time during the season just as the 3 players that Richmond announced are redshirting can become eligible.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago Samb is the insurance. They can abandon the plan to redshirt him at any time.
Yes, I am aware of that and did mention it in an earlier post.
But I hope it doesn't come to that.
Which is why in my own crazy thought process, I was hoping they would get a 1 year serviceable big for added depth.
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Cox played too many guys last season. Just needs to play 7 or max 8 players. He will likely stop with the 10-11 deep rotations where many fans are questioning substitution patterns. By Tournament time most teams are going with 6 players, maybe 7 and sometimes only the 5 starters get the majority of minutes.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Cox played too many guys last season. Just needs to play 7 or max 8 players. He will likely stop with the 10-11 deep rotations where many fans are questioning substitution patterns. By Tournament time most teams are going with 6 players, maybe 7 and sometimes only the 5 starters get the majority of minutes.
I will be curious if he alternates starting lineups that would also include Walker and Martin.

Not sure if he announced the starters yet for tonight, probably the same 5 for J&W?

Ramster, I wouldn't be surprised if we see a rotation of 8 or 9 at least in the near future, until players separate themselves.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I’m not talking about the near future. Most teams play more guys early on but the coach narrows down. We have not done that lately. Narrow down to your best 6 - 7 players by the start of conference play.

Same starters, same order coming off bench. Let the best 6-7 players develop confidence and rhythm playing together.

Playing 9-11 guys just confuses everyone, players, coaches, media and fans.
Last edited by ramster 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Same lineup. He did say on his show that he may shuffle the starting lineup depending on matchups.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

How can we play 6 if we have 7 starters?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

We go with at least 8 all year...the 7 'starters' and Thomas (he's good, you'll see). We'll see about Carey and if he plays himself into minutes or into pine time. I have no idea about Tres, since I still have never seen him play. Ileri and Samb (redshirt) sit and learn unless there is an injury to one of our bigs,
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

One gets hurt. Insurance as Makhi got hurt last year and Russell got hurt, sat some, but should have sat a lot more to recover from his injuries.

Walker and Martin are basically starter level to sub or start.

A team might start 4 guards but I’d prefer we keep both Mitchell’s in the starting line up and let the opposition adjust to us versus us to them. This is the big year for David Cox. Go for the NCAA invite, no conservative coaching this season.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I prefer this thread, and choose not to participate in the "other one".
We are only 7 games in and Cox will be our coach through the remainder of the season.
I think we will all get a better picture of this situation in March.
Let's see how things play out.
Maybe our team will turn things around, show positive growth, and give us something to look forward to in the future.
I am not yet ready to tear things apart, rebuild a whole new roster, and basically start all over, as most on this board seem to want now.

Go Rhody.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago I prefer this thread, and choose not to participate in the "other one".
We are only 7 games in and Cox will be our coach through the remainder of the season.
Maybe our team will turn things around, show positive growth, and give us something to look forward to in the future.
I am not yet ready to tear things apart, rebuild a whole new roster, and basically start all over, as most on this board seem to want now.

Go Rhody.

Yea, I see zero season to have a “David Cox” and a “FIRE COX” thread. It looks pretty dumb, and the contents of both are the same.
1 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago I prefer this thread, and choose not to participate in the "other one".

Go Rhody.

Yea, I see zero season to have a “David Cox” and a “FIRE COX” thread. It looks pretty dumb, and the contents of both are the same.
Yep. So should keep the longest running thread instead of starting a new one.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

Go Rhody.

Yep. So should keep the longest running thread instead of starting a new one.
Agreed
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

The mods won’t do shit, because they are on board with it. Such is life.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

DC_Rams wrote: 2 years ago The mods won’t do shit, because they are on board with it. Such is life.
We get $1 each time someone makes a post.
12 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

DC_Rams wrote: 2 years ago The mods won’t do shit, because they are on board with it. Such is life.
I wish they would do something with you.
4 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Bumping this so we can move on. Any thoughts on Cox's coaching let's put it in here.

GO RHODY!!
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Looking to see adjustments away from our chuck and pray philosophy as we play an Amaker team that loves to press man to man and seldomly goes zone.

Would like to see the twins featured inside and work to get mismatches in the lane.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Bumping this again since the person that hates the Fire Cox thread continues to respond in it. Let's talk about David Cox here and move on from the fire cox thread.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago Bumping this again since the person that hates the Fire Cox thread continues to respond in it. Let's talk about David Cox here and move on from the fire cox thread.
Nope. I’m good with the FIRE COX thread.
Moderators love it and do do the vast majority of posters.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago Looking to see adjustments away from our chuck and pray philosophy as we play an Amaker team that loves to press man to man and seldomly goes zone.

Would like to see the twins featured inside and work to get mismatches in the lane.
Agreed...Our bigs will need to have a good game tonight. I hope Ish continues to stay hot. When he plays well, this team is much better... If our guards can stay hot from 3, that will only open things up for our bigs. I have a feeling free throw shooting will be critical tonight.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Bump.. Let's discuss Cox here and not Fire Cox..
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I know most on this board want Cox to be shown the door now.
As I keep saying it is very doubtful that will happen, unless we sink to the Jerry D depths.

As a very loyal and longtime fan I will continue to root hard for us to win, period.
At the end of the season let the chips fall where they may.
None of us on this board are being paid to make that decision.

My thought is that if we end up winning 20 plus games this season, it will be very difficult for Thorr to pull the trigger on Cox.
I am trying to take all emotion out of it.
IMO
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

My thought is that if we end up winning 20 plus games this season, it will be very difficult for Thorr to pull the trigger on Cox.
IMO
See, this is the concern, and why none of us want it to be close. That is what happened with Baron. We saw it for years. Cupcake schedule, 20 wins...can't fire him, we're SOOOO close. Rooting for URI to win 20 games at this point is something I would do if I were a PC fan. Get us to keep our below-average to mediocre coach, and continue to suck in perpetuity. To make matters worse, no extension gets signed without a significant buyout clause...so we'd be dooming ourselves to purgatory.

Since we already have a fire cox thread, I'll keep this to how he can improve.

1) lineups and roster changes. Stop with the "I promised player x minutes so I need to make sure he sees them."

Change something. Throw bassy out there more. Play one Mitchell at a time. Do SOMETHING different because what we have isn't working.

2) change your philosophy. Stop this "positionless" guard play because it doesn't work.

Even if you don't think Bassy is the guy (though he seems to be the most natural fit, even if he's not the "best" player), you have to pick a point guard. That much is clear. Pick ONE player to be your PG. I don't care if it's Ish, Shepp, or EA. But pick that kid and COACH THEM. MAKE THEM a PG. Run your offense through that player. Coach him on how you want to see the offense run. COACH him on how the offense should look in a half court. Demand a first pass before a stupid transition 3 attempt.

3) react to what's happening on the floor.

If you're not seeing what you want to see - CALL A TIME OUT AND PUT SOMEONE ON THE BENCH. COACH. DO SOME COACHING.

Cooley isn't a good x's and o's coach either, but when Watson doesn't box out he pulls him, yells to his bench and lets them know if they don't put out effort, they won't play. I don't think anyone would say Hurley is a particularly gifted X's and O's coach...but he will demand effort from his players and if they don't put that effort out there, they'll ride the bench.

Ya know, coaching.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

I hardly ever post about coaching strategy as it’s not really my thing, but, if I were to do one thing it would be move Sheppard to the bench. I’ve been wholly unimpressed with his careless play at the point and think he would be better suited as that “instant offense” 6th man off the bench. I would put Malik Martin in the starting lineup and throw him at the best perimeter player our opponent has.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
IMO
See, this is the concern, and why none of us want it to be close. That is what happened with Baron. We saw it for years. Cupcake schedule, 20 wins...can't fire him, we're SOOOO close. Rooting for URI to win 20 games at this point is something I would do if I were a PC fan. Get us to keep our below-average to mediocre coach, and continue to suck in perpetuity. To make matters worse, no extension gets signed without a significant buyout clause...so we'd be dooming ourselves to purgatory.
Blue Man, not necessarily.
Usually now when they extend, the buyout is usually less.
Probably more common in football, but also in basketball.
When Scott Frost at Nebraska had his contract extended the buyout was reduced to half his salary. It was made up to him in generous bonuses and perks if he was indeed successful.
I also believe at Maryland, Turgeon's extension also included a reduced buyout much less than what would be paid out through his contract.

"Turgeon, who had been at the helm of the Terrapins since 2011, signed a three-year contract extension in April that was expected to keep him at the school until 2026. He was set to earn more than $17 million over the length of the deal, but the Baltimore Sun reported the buyout was $5 million if taken before May 1, 2022."
https://www.upi.com/Sports_News/2021/12 ... 638583411/
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Didn't Baron get a one year extension a year or two before his last season? Does anyone know if a buyout was reduced?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago Didn't Baron get a one year extension a year or two before his last season? Does anyone know if a buyout was reduced?
If my memory is correct he received a 1 year extension after the 2010 NIT run, so two years before he was eventually fired. The extension meant that after the 2010 season he would have a full four years remaining on his contract, so he was fired with two years remaining. No idea about a buyout reduction
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

STC wrote: 2 years ago I hardly ever post about coaching strategy as it’s not really my thing, but, if I were to do one thing it would be move Sheppard to the bench. I’ve been wholly unimpressed with his careless play at the point and think he would be better suited as that “instant offense” 6th man off the bench. I would put Malik Martin in the starting lineup and throw him at the best perimeter player our opponent has.
Oof, I think that's worse from an offensive facilitation standpoint, though. That being said, I don't really think there is a magic bullet substitution on this team. Thomas looked good in his 13 minutes against Providence and only has two turnovers in 105 minutes, but the only games he's taken more than three shots in were the blowouts (Bryant, Georgia State). Meaning, I think his TO rate is probably artificially low, because its not hard to avoid turnovers if you're not looking for your own offense.

I don't know if Berry is healthy - If he is, it seems damning that he hasn't gotten any run, but if he isn't, that does explain his DNPs more. It might be worth it to give him some run, since he's an unknown quantity at this point. However, it's kind of like the Matthew Butler or Bam Harmon situation, where the lack of information about a guy at the end of the bench sometimes means he's overrated, and I have no clue about their performance in practice.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago
STC wrote: 2 years ago I hardly ever post about coaching strategy as it’s not really my thing, but, if I were to do one thing it would be move Sheppard to the bench. I’ve been wholly unimpressed with his careless play at the point and think he would be better suited as that “instant offense” 6th man off the bench. I would put Malik Martin in the starting lineup and throw him at the best perimeter player our opponent has.
Oof, I think that's worse from an offensive facilitation standpoint, though. That being said, I don't really think there is a magic bullet substitution on this team. Thomas looked good in his 13 minutes against Providence and only has two turnovers in 105 minutes, but the only games he's taken more than three shots in were the blowouts (Bryant, Georgia State). Meaning, I think his TO rate is probably artificially low, because its not hard to avoid turnovers if you're not looking for your own offense.

I don't know if Berry is healthy - If he is, it seems damning that he hasn't gotten any run, but if he isn't, that does explain his DNPs more. It might be worth it to give him some run, since he's an unknown quantity at this point. However, it's kind of like the Matthew Butler or Bam Harmon situation, where the lack of information about a guy at the end of the bench sometimes means he's overrated, and I have no clue about their performance in practice.
I would love to see Berry and Ileri get more run, especially in games like tomorrow.
I think Berry has plenty of upside, but injuries have definitely slowed him down.

Also, if Carey gets cleared, tomorrow should be a good opportunity for him.
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
IMO

Since we already have a fire cox thread, I'll keep this to how he can improve.

1) lineups and roster changes. Stop with the "I promised player x minutes so I need to make sure he sees them."

Change something. Throw bassy out there more. Play one Mitchell at a time. Do SOMETHING different because what we have isn't working.

2) change your philosophy. Stop this "positionless" guard play because it doesn't work.

Even if you don't think Bassy is the guy (though he seems to be the most natural fit, even if he's not the "best" player), you have to pick a point guard. That much is clear. Pick ONE player to be your PG. I don't care if it's Ish, Shepp, or EA. But pick that kid and COACH THEM. MAKE THEM a PG. Run your offense through that player. Coach him on how you want to see the offense run. COACH him on how the offense should look in a half court. Demand a first pass before a stupid transition 3 attempt.

3) react to what's happening on the floor.

If you're not seeing what you want to see - CALL A TIME OUT AND PUT SOMEONE ON THE BENCH. COACH. DO SOME COACHING.

Cooley isn't a good x's and o's coach either, but when Watson doesn't box out he pulls him, yells to his bench and lets them know if they don't put out effort, they won't play. I don't think anyone would say Hurley is a particularly gifted X's and O's coach...but he will demand effort from his players and if they don't put that effort out there, they'll ride the bench.

Ya know, coaching.
To paraphrase one of the greats, number 3 shoulda been number 1 to me.

We all want Bassy to play more, but he's a freshman. Some games it might not be his night. I want him playing 25-ish minutes a game but if it's not working it's OK TO MOVE AWAY FROM IT in any given game. Same goes for any and every guy on the team.
1 x