Covid-19 Effect on College Basketball & Other Sports

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Ram1019
ARD

Re: Covid-19 Effect on College Basketball & Other Sports

Unread post by Ram1019 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago No, it's never ending, but eventually will become endemic.
Correct. Getting vaccinated, boosted, and wearing a mask will lead this from pandemic to endemic. It will end if people just do the right things. We have the tools and we have the science. Follow it and you can live normally. The unvaccinated/unmasked are allowing COVID to spread and mutate.

Did you see what happened in June/July to COVID rates and numbers when millions got vaccinated? It dropped. The problem was not enough people got vaccinated. So this is where we are at.

Nobody is living in fear. When you click your seatbelt, is that because of fear? You still drive even though there's a chance you can get into an accident.
Yes, we should definitely outlaw seatbelts because I sometimes hear that people might even die in an accident wearing one. They obviously don't work then. So we should stop living in fear and get rid of them. Seatbelts violate my freedoms. I can hardly breathe with the thing all strapped around me.

This is exactly what it sounds like when I hear people talk about how "masks don't work" and/or "vaccines don't work". The mentality is: if something doesn't work 100% of the time then we should just stop implementing said safety measures altogether, and in the same breath, reprimand those who do--like a university for wanting to enforce a mask policy during a PANDEMIC, for example. Here's the thing with masks and vaccines. They do work (I can't believe this actually has to be said using words and in a sentence). And, unlike even seatbelts, your decision to not do it affects other people.

Car accidents are here to stay. So stop with all those seatbelts, you sheeple.
4 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

You know what else doesn't work 100% of the time? Football helmets. Some players are still being concussed. I think they should just stop wearing them.....
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago You know what else doesn't work 100% of the time? Football helmets. Some players are still being concussed. I think they should just stop wearing them.....
Now the mandate bosses are going to say everyone must wear a helmet all the time. Seatbelts are a law, voted on the Representative majority in Congress. Mask mandates are an executive order by one person.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

No masks or proof of vaccination required in the State Owned Dunkin Donuts Center

Rhode Island numbers continue going the wrong way

E1BBBAD9-9ADC-4221-9ED4-06E9B16EA482.png
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago No masks or proof of vaccination required in the State Owned Dunkin Donuts Center

Those crazy science-denying dunk operators!!!
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago No masks or proof of vaccination required in the State Owned Dunkin Donuts Center

If people are afraid, don’t go. Simple as that.

It’s time to get back to normal, Covid is never going away.
1 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

Agree. Giving someone a choice to wear a mask is normal, making them wear one is not. The Dunk - normal, the Ry - not.
1 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

The 1918 Flu pandemic...did that go away?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

When enough people get immunity, the infection will die out. I'd say that masks don't help that, but then you know who would get on my case again :roll:
0 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

The animosity and damn right ugliness towards other humans that trump and covid has made into common acceptable practice is disgusting!! And it's not just Trump fans but the left as well, it is now normal place to name call and speak down to or at other individuals. This needs to end it's f#*&ing disturbing behavior. Can't we all just get along again!?!?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago

When enough people get immunity, the infection will die out. I'd say that masks don't help that, but then you know who would get on my case again :roll:
You do realize that it mutates into new variants, right? You know for sure that everyone will be immune to new variants?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago

You do realize that it mutates into new variants, right? You know for sure that everyone will be immune to new variants?
So, are you saying this never goes away, and masks at the Ry but not the dunk is the new normal indefinitely?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

So, are you saying this never goes away, and masks at the Ry but not the dunk is the new normal indefinitely?
It becomes endemic.This explains it better than I can.
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00396-2
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

When the Georgia Southern players who were not vaccinated did not travel to the Ryan Center was that to comply with an NCAA policy or Georgia Southern policy or a Ryan Center policy?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

DeanDome88 wrote: 2 years ago When the Georgia Southern players who were not vaccinated did not travel to the Ryan Center was that to comply with an NCAA policy or Georgia Southern policy or a Ryan Center policy?
When I saw that, I assumed it's a URI thing.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Too lazy to read the whole thing now, promise to after dinner. Can you give the Cliff's notes version of "people will stop being required to wear masks at places like the Ryan when _____"?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Too lazy to read the whole thing now, promise to after dinner. Can you give the Cliff's notes version of "people will stop being required to wear masks at places like the Ryan when _____"?
.....A Republican gets elected Governor?
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

It's not that long. 3 minute read. I'll let you read it. Let's just say, at some point, we get back to our normal way of life.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Do you realize you’re the only one who brings up “masks forever at the Ryan center” in 90% of your posts? Give it a break.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
DeanDome88 wrote: 2 years ago When the Georgia Southern players who were not vaccinated did not travel to the Ryan Center was that to comply with an NCAA policy or Georgia Southern policy or a Ryan Center policy?
When I saw that, I assumed it's a URI thing.
You can’t be that ignorant.

Yea, URI has the authroity to tell another D1 program who can and cannot travel. I’m sure Georgia St would sure comply with no issues.

Of course it was 10000% an NCAA policy.
0 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Do you realize you’re the only one who brings up “masks forever at the Ryan center” in 90% of your posts? Give it a break.
Are you peeved because you think I'm right, or because you know the point at which it will change? If it's the former, I totally get it, if it's the latter...do share when that is...or what that will be based on. Thanks.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Georgia State cancels Wednesday's game against Tenn. State because of Covid issues.
https://www.ajc.com/sports/state-sports ... D7VGKWYZI/
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 sounds like the spokesperson for the NTA.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Are you peeved because you think I'm right, or because you know the point at which it will change? If it's the former, I totally get it, if it's the latter...do share when that is...or what that will be based on. Thanks.

There is less than 0% chance there will be a mask mandate at the Ryan Center forever.

0%.
0 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

There is less than 0% chance there will be a mask mandate at the Ryan Center forever.

0%.
Brilliant. Now try to substitute a human timeframe for an over/under. I'll start. Masks will still be required through 2024. What do you think?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

0%.
Brilliant. Now try to substitute a human timeframe for an over/under. I'll start. Masks will still be required through 2024. What do you think?
We will not have a mask mandate at The Ryan Center next season.
1 x
Go Rhody
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

……..easy now……..
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

As I said before, mandates are not laws. This is from Judge Terry A. Doughty:

"If the executive branch is allowed to usurp the power of the legislative branch to make laws, two of the three powers conferred by our Constitution would be in the same hands," he wrote. "If human nature and history teach anything, it is that civil liberties face grave risks when governments proclaim indefinite states of emergency.

"During a pandemic such as this one, it is even more important to safeguard the separation of powers set forth in our Constitution to avoid erosion of our liberties," he added.
1 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

"Under the U.S. Constitution’s 10th Amendment and U.S. Supreme Court decisions over nearly 200 years, state governments have the primary authority to control the spread of dangerous diseases within their jurisdictions. The 10th Amendment, which gives states all powers not specifically given to the federal government, allows them the authority to take public health emergency actions, such as setting quarantines and business restrictions.

With states adopting emergency measures, there are several broad public health tools that governors can invoke. They can, for example, order quarantines to separate and restrict the movement of people who were exposed to a contagious disease to see if they become sick. They can also direct that those who are sick with a quarantinable communicable disease be isolated from people who are not sick. And, as a growing number of governors have done in recent days, states can order residents to stay at home with exceptions for essential work, food or other needs. The governors’ orders, akin to shelter-in-place directives, affect tens of millions in the affected states. Curfews are another tool they can impose."

https://www.americanbar.org/news/abanew ... -pandemic/
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Evidence is beginning to show that the Omicron variant, while being very contagious, is not causing severe disease.

If it were to take over from the Delta variant, it could mean the beginning of the end of the pandemic.

This has been predicted by many to happen, maybe just maybe this could be it.

It will end up like the flu.....and we'll get yearly shots for it. Yes the old and vulnerable will still be at risk, but a much smaller risk....just like the flu.

And then mask mandates will end. Maybe sometime next year, the worst will finally be over....and this thread can end too ha ha.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The Holy Cross men's basketball coach Brett Nelson contracted Covid and will miss two games - CCSU and LaSalle.
Screenshot 2021-12-03 at 09-56-31 Brett Nelson ( Coachbnelson) Twitter.png
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Crossover Classic Tournament - Covid After Effects

Nevada Coach Steve Alford has gotten Covid and is isolating. The Wolfpack's next game with N Texas has been postponed. This comes on the heels of Washington also postponing its game with Arizona this week for Covid reasons. Both Nevada and Washington played one another in the Crossover Classic in Sioux Falls, SD. A vaccinated player from George Mason, which also participated in the same tourney and played both Nevada and Washington, has tested positive for Covid and will miss two games.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... postponed/

0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

0%.
I would love that, but highly doubt it. Transmission rates in RI have gone from 129/100k on 11/1 to 339/100k on 12/1 to 557 today.

I'll wager a sixer that masks are required next year as well.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I would love that, but highly doubt it. Transmission rates in RI have gone from 129/100k on 11/1 to 339/100k on 12/1 to 557 today.

I'll wager a sixer that masks are required next year as well.
Hopefully of all of the deaths that occur in the next year, a lot of them aren't URI fans. Attendance will suffer.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I hate to resurrect this thread, but from the news lately, it seems like we're all going to get covid, vaccinated or not, at some point.

This variant is amazingly contagious. Even people who have gotten boosters are getting it.
'
Luckily, the vast majority of cases don't seem to be serious, maybe comparable to a bad cold. Or no symptoms at all.

But it's going to cause all kinds of disruptions before things get better in a few months.

I don't think making everybody wear masks is going to make much difference.

Just hope that future variants continue to get milder. A lot of the so called expects are predicting this, let's hope they are right.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

In RI 80% of new cases are from unvaccinated people.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

ATPTourFan wrote: 2 years ago In RI 80% of new cases are from unvaccinated people.

I got Covid two weeks ago. I am vaccinated AND boosted. We have nearly 60 cases at my workplace. More of half of the cases are people that are vaccinated. Many boosted.

I am not arguing with your numbers but I know what is going on with me and my colleagues.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Covid is a big time problem right now in the NFL NBA and NHL now

I am sure college hoops will get hit too
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

There is a scenario where a less severe variant ie Omicron becomes the prevalent strain and that is a good thing.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

UCH21377 wrote: 2 years ago
ATPTourFan wrote: 2 years ago In RI 80% of new cases are from unvaccinated people.

I got Covid two weeks ago. I am vaccinated AND boosted. We have nearly 60 cases at my workplace. More of half of the cases are people that are vaccinated. Many boosted.

I am not arguing with your numbers but I know what is going on with me and my colleagues.
Right and for every pocket of vaccinated people getting infected there are 3 to 4 times as many unvaccinated.

Dept of health data
CovidRatio.png
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Covid is rapidly increasing in RI
Hospitalizations have tripled from 7 weeks ago
New Cases way up last 2 weeks

But The Dunk PC-URI game required no proof of vaccination, no masks (maybe 1 in 200 had a mask on), place was packed.

From Crush Covid RI
3588F611-4C07-4E01-A968-025C20C216E3.png
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think the new variant is responsible for a lot of these new cases....it's spreading very fast and will take over from Delta within a month or two.

The key is, if you're boosted the odds of getting very sick are very small. Virtually all serious cases are from Delta also.

If you haven't got the booster yet, the benefits from the shots you got 6 or more months ago have largely worn off.

I think big pharma have started on developing the next variant specific vaccine....we're going to need that sooner than expected.

If we have to get a new round of shots every 6 months, so be it.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago There is a scenario where a less severe variant ie Omicron becomes the prevalent strain and that is a good thing.
That seems to be happening.

But in the meantime, the number of cases will skyrocket over the next couple of months.

Once Omicron takes over, the number of serious cases should decrease, at least as a percentage of total cases.

It's going to take an Omicron specific vaccine to slow this spread though.

By March it should be available, so I've heard.

In the meantime, restrictions will increase and the media will make sure we hear about it on a daily basis.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago I think the new variant is responsible for a lot of these new cases....it's spreading very fast and will take over from Delta within a month or two.

The key is, if you're boosted the odds of getting very sick are very small. Virtually all serious cases are from Delta also.

If you haven't got the booster yet, the benefits from the shots you got 6 or more months ago have largely worn off.

I think big pharma have started on developing the next variant specific vaccine....we're going to need that sooner than expected.

If we have to get a new round of shots every 6 months, so be it.
So...invest in pharma?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

New Hospitalization at 245 are the highest since last February
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

So was the game @ the Dunk a superspreader event? :-o
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhody Guy wrote: 2 years ago So was the game @ the Dunk a superspreader event? :-o
It very well could have been, though I'm not sure with contract tracing being what it is we'll ever know
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

I've tried avoiding this thread like the plague (covid?) so maybe this has already been posted.

1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody Guy wrote: 2 years ago So was the game @ the Dunk a superspreader event? :-o
It very well could have been, though I'm not sure with contract tracing being what it is we'll ever know
Guess it depends on how you describe “super spreader”events.
  • 14,000 people
  • Large Beer Cans with the majority of people holding one
  • 20 minute waiting lines to pee during halftime and most of 2nd half due to the large Beer Cans
  • PC student section singing Taylor Swift song loudly - Dr Fauci says singing is a spreader
  • Very crowded hallway for concessions and food that also contains crowded bathrooms
  • RI and Northeast Covid new cases and hospitalizations in a rapid rise
Guess the question is best for Dr Alexander but maybe already answered with mask mandate reannounced today by the Governor.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PC Board on Covid if you can’t get enough here

https://247sports.com/college/providenc ... 18/?page=3
0 x