David Cox officially let go by URI (formerly, "Fire Cox")

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Re: FIRE COX

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

Mongo wrote: 2 years ago I have stayed quiet while I’ve watched David Cox slowly unravel everything that Dan Hurley built here. His passive personality has created a lack of swagger and edge on a team that has the talent to be special. It is painful to watch him literally make wordless facial expressions with literally no fire on the sidelines. He’s created a team culture that plays with ZERO fire and edge. He has brought so much talent to Kingston and has them playing like zombies. Gone are the days of a coach that will fire up players and who created a atmosphere where even the fans would cheer with a edge and fire. It Is so sad to watch this program die on the vine under the emotionless David Cox. I always appreciated what Dan Hurley created here and really rooted for Cox to continue that fire, but he has literally created the opposite environment. It is time to move on and find another coach that can create fire and excitement again, it is really time to move on, what a shame.
Who are you going to replace him with?
0 x
Common sense is not common.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
adam914 wrote: 2 years ago
Taylor Swift wrote: 2 years ago Win or lose, Ryan Center rules have become enough to keep people away.
I realize you are just making things up here to try and fulfill your preconceived notions, and thats fine, thats the society we live in now. But in case anyone else reading this is actually interested in the truth, there is absolutely no evidence to show that this is the case. Attendance through the first 4 home games this season is 5035 compared to 5058 through the first 4 home games of the previous season where fans were allowed to attend. So in a season where the excitement level for the team is arguably quite a bit lower than 2 years ago, the attendance is essentially the same.
Having been to all of the games including today's with only 4,132 official attendance, I believe that the announced attendance is considerably higher than the actual numbers in the seats.
Today's student section was basically empty and it is hard for me to believe that there were 4,132 people in the other seats in the building.

You could say that this is the number of seats sold but then it does seem that the number of no-shows must be higher this season. For the attendance this year to be the same as 2 years ago I find hard to believe. I like the inflated numbers since I picked the highest average attendance in this year's contest, but something just seems off.

If there are a lot of no-shows included in the numbers, then that might not bode well for the future ticket sales since people will just quit buying as no-showing is not a solid base to build a future on.
Today’s attendance could be a sign of slow crowds in December especially when students are gone ??
1 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

RhodyRams12 wrote: 2 years ago
Mongo wrote: 2 years ago I have stayed quiet while I’ve watched David Cox slowly unravel everything that Dan Hurley built here. His passive personality has created a lack of swagger and edge on a team that has the talent to be special. It is painful to watch him literally make wordless facial expressions with literally no fire on the sidelines. He’s created a team culture that plays with ZERO fire and edge. He has brought so much talent to Kingston and has them playing like zombies. Gone are the days of a coach that will fire up players and who created a atmosphere where even the fans would cheer with a edge and fire. It Is so sad to watch this program die on the vine under the emotionless David Cox. I always appreciated what Dan Hurley created here and really rooted for Cox to continue that fire, but he has literally created the opposite environment. It is time to move on and find another coach that can create fire and excitement again, it is really time to move on, what a shame.

Tammi Reiss
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

…….interesting……..just for the inquiring minds, are there any other women that have coached or currently coaching a D1 men’s hoops?……..like the thought of Tammi……..but……
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago Can you please talk about this shit in the correct thread? I don't go there for this exact reason..

Anyways back to Cox's coaching decisions..

Right now, Antwan Walker is 7th on the team in MPG. However, his per 40 minutes stats have him leading the team in scoring, steals, fg%, and 3pt %. They are filthy.

Walker's Current Stats...
PPG-5th
AST-6th
STL-3rd
Rebs-4th
FG %-1st
3pt %-1st
PER- 1st
Offensive Rating-2nd
Defensive Rating- 2nd (as I said, this kid has not been getting torched on the defensive end)

We have two crucial games coming up, and it's time for Cox to start arguably our best player this season. Obviously, I don't think he'll continue shooting 62% from 3 all season, but his form looks a lot better. He probably knew this offseason that he had to develop a consistent 3 pt shot because he couldn't be just an inside player. If he's respected enough outside, that will only open things up for the twins and guards. It will also allow him to pump fake and drive, which he's solid at. He's the best playmaking big we have. He's the hardest-working kid on the floor..

START WALKER and play him 25 minutes!!
Totally agree (on both points), but unfortunately don’t think we’ll see Walker starting because I’m not sure he fits as the 3 and I’m assuming the twins need to stay in the starting lineup to keep everyone happy. If it were me I think I’d bring one of them off the bench though and then adjust in game as needed. Both have played really well so that’s not a knock on them at all, I just think it’d make us a better team.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago Can you please talk about this shit in the correct thread? I don't go there for this exact reason..

Right now, Antwan Walker is 7th on the team in MPG. However, his per 40 minutes stats have him leading the team in scoring, steals, fg%, and 3pt %. They are filthy.

PPG-5th
AST-6th
STL-3rd
Rebs-4th
FG %-1st
3pt %-1st
PER- 1st
Offensive Rating-2nd
Defensive Rating- 2nd (as I said, this kid has not been getting torched on the defensive end)

We have two crucial games coming up, and it's time for Cox to start arguably our best player this season. Obviously, I don't think he'll continue shooting 62% from 3 all season, but his form looks a lot better. He probably knew this offseason that he had to develop a consistent 3 pt shot because he couldn't be just an inside player. If he's respected enough outside, that will only open things up for the twins and guards. It will also allow him to pump fake and drive, which he's solid at. He's the best playmaking big we have. He's the hardest-working kid on the floor..

I want them to start Walker both because I think it makes the team better and because I think it’s the right but potentially difficult decision. Will he do it?
5 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

PPG-5th
AST-6th
STL-3rd
Rebs-4th
FG %-1st
3pt %-1st
PER- 1st
Offensive Rating-2nd

Totally agree (on both points), but unfortunately don’t think we’ll see Walker starting because I’m not sure he fits as the 3 and I’m assuming the twins need to stay in the starting lineup to keep everyone happy. If it were me I think I’d bring one of them off the bench and then adjust in game as needed. Both have played really well so that’s not a knock on them at all. I think it’d make us a better team.
I prefer Walker start over Makhi, but if we need to start all 3 so be it. They have all been excellent, so I get it's tough.. .I know Walker isn't a 3. He's best as a 4. BUT if he really can shoot at a solid rate which he's proven so far, I think it can work. I'm not sure how many of you watch the NBA, but the Cavs have looked much better when they have started 3 big men. They have some issues defending with a slower 4 at the 3, but they end up fine when you have two HUGE shot-blockers in the post. In fact, they've won more games and look better. My advice to Cox is to check out that team and see why it's working so well for them. At the end of the day, we need our best players playing the most minutes on the team.

0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago

PPG-5th
AST-6th
STL-3rd
Rebs-4th
FG %-1st
3pt %-1st
PER- 1st
Offensive Rating-2nd

Totally agree (on both points), but unfortunately don’t think we’ll see Walker starting because I’m not sure he fits as the 3 and I’m assuming the twins need to stay in the starting lineup to keep everyone happy. If it were me I think I’d bring one of them off the bench and then adjust in game as needed. Both have played really well so that’s not a knock on them at all. I think it’d make us a better team.
I prefer Walker start over Makhi, but if we need to start all 3 so be it. They have all been excellent, so I get it's tough.. .I know Walker isn't a 3. He's best as a 4. BUT if he really can shoot at a solid rate which he's proven so far, I think it can work. I'm not sure how many of you watch the NBA, but the Cavs have looked much better when they have started 3 big men. They have some issues defending with a slower 4 at the 3, but they end up fine when you have two HUGE shot-blockers in the post. In fact, they've won more games and look better. My advice to Cox is to check out that team and see why it's working so well for them. At the end of the day, we need our best players playing the most minutes on the team.

I’d be all for giving it a shot. I said in one of the game threads at some point that I think Leggett could be a valuable weapon off the bench, so trying Walker for him might work to.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago

I realize you are just making things up here to try and fulfill your preconceived notions, and thats fine, thats the society we live in now. But in case anyone else reading this is actually interested in the truth, there is absolutely no evidence to show that this is the case. Attendance through the first 4 home games this season is 5035 compared to 5058 through the first 4 home games of the previous season where fans were allowed to attend. So in a season where the excitement level for the team is arguably quite a bit lower than 2 years ago, the attendance is essentially the same.
So...you don't think if the rules were relaxed that there would be more people in the arena? Are you serious? I know at least a half dozen people that aren't going, because of the rules. I don't anyone that is attending this year that hasn't in the past. (Not to say that there aren't plenty, but saying that the rules have no impact seems silly.) If the mask restriction is ever lifted - can't realistically see that ever happening - you don't think there would be an attendance bump?
I know this subject triggers you and you get very emotional about it, but please don’t put words in my mouth just so you can whine about this for the 100th time. I’m starting to think the only thing you love more than whining about masks is proving me right.
Ok.
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

I don't ever see cox starting walker and 2 Mitchell's together. First none of them is capable of covering a quick 3 man to man and that's the only defense we play. Also, we have no big man depth. Walker is great insurance for the Mitchell's getting in foul trouble which they have been prone to do so far
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

PPG-5th
AST-6th
STL-3rd
Rebs-4th
FG %-1st
3pt %-1st
PER- 1st
Offensive Rating-2nd

What concerns me is these numbers align with last year. You could make an argument that Walker was URI's best player a season ago. Why isn't he playing more? Makes no sense.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

ram1980 wrote: 2 years ago I don't ever see cox starting walker and 2 Mitchell's together. First none of them is capable of covering a quick 3 man to man and that's the only defense we play. Also, we have no big man depth. Walker is great insurance for the Mitchell's getting in foul trouble which they have been prone to do so far
So you'd prefer he'd continue to play less than 20 minutes a game? We need to try something new, or this team will continue to be mediocre. Walker should be playing 22-25 minutes. How does it work unless he's on the floor with the Twins sometimes? If we stick to man to man, we have one of the best shot blockers in the country and his brother. Their size would cause many issues for anyone driving to the hoop if a quicker wing was to get by Walker. Or go zone in the minutes they are all out there. Either that or one of Makhel, Makhi, and Walker plays less than 20 minutes a game. We need all of them out there longer than that. I have zero faith Cox will sit one of the twins for Walker so this is the only option I'm seeing to get Walker on the floor more..
Last edited by steveystuds06 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago

PPG-5th
AST-6th
STL-3rd
Rebs-4th
FG %-1st
3pt %-1st
PER- 1st
Offensive Rating-2nd

What concerns me is these numbers align with last year. You could make an argument that Walker was URI's best player a season ago. Why isn't he playing more? Makes no sense.
I think the easy excuse is it's because of the twins, but a smart coach finds ways to get their best players on the floor. It's on our head coach to do that.
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

"So you'd prefer he'd continue to play less than 20 minutes a game? We need to try something new, or this team will continue to be mediocre. Walker should be playing 22-25 minutes. How does it work unless he's on the floor with the Twins sometimes? If we stick to man to man, we have one of the best shot blockers in the country and his brother. Their size would cause many issues for anyone driving to the hoop if a quicker wing was to get by Walker. Or go zone in the minutes they are all out there. Either that or one of Makhel, Makhi, and Walker plays less than 20 minutes a game. We need all of them out there longer than that."
[/quote]

Where did I say that.. and you might want to check your math.. games are 40 minutes long.. positions 4 and 5 = 80 minutes of playing time.. divide that by 3 and that is 27 minutes each give or take. If the Mitchell's have to keep covering for walker at the rim because he can't keep up with a quicker 3 they are going to get in more foul trouble then they have already been in.. I haven't heard any inklings of walker complaining about playing time. As a matter of fact from my seat in 211 directly across from URI bench, it appears that he is the most engaged player cheering his teammates on.. I'm certainly not against him playing more. I think game situations and matchups have to be determining factor.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

There are plenty of minutes available at the 4 and 5 to keep all 3 of them happy. You can’t start the twins and Antwan bc like sometimes in basketball you need to dribble. You can’t have 2 guys on the floor as only ball handling and then a massive dip. Do we need to review the premise of the 1 dribble rule? All 3 of our bigs should really abide by that. Start Makhi and Twan and bring Makhel off the bench. That’s our best offensive lineup IMO.

Makhi
Walker
Ish
Ish
Shep
5 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago There are plenty of minutes available at the 4 and 5 to keep all 3 of them happy. You can’t start the twins and Antwan bc like sometimes in basketball you need to dribble. You can’t have 2 guys on the floor as only ball handling and then a massive dip. Do we need to review the premise of the 1 dribble rule? All 3 of our bigs should really abide by that. Start Makhi and Twan and bring Makhel off the bench. That’s our best offensive lineup IMO.

Makhi
Walker
Ish
Ish
Shep

I said in a previous post that I would love for Walker to start over one of the twins and I'll be the first person to praise Cox if he comes out with that lineup against Harvard. I don't know about the rest of you, but I get the vibe he's promised the twins a starting job, like when he souled his soul to Fatts. Maybe I'm wrong...

Sure, in theory, we have enough minutes, but it's not happening.. Walker only played 22 minutes a game last year with Makhi out... So he's been underused for two straight seasons. Walker is a difference-maker and playing him less than 20 minutes a game is hurting this team's chances of winning. So the only other option I'm seeing is Cox coming up with some creative ways to get them of the floor together. I'd rather that than see Walker play less than 20 minutes a game the rest of this season.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

ram1980 wrote: 2 years ago Where did I say that.. and you might want to check your math.. games are 40 minutes long.. positions 4 and 5 = 80 minutes of playing time.. divide that by 3 and that is 27 minutes each give or take. If the Mitchell's have to keep covering for walker at the rim because he can't keep up with a quicker 3 they are going to get in more foul trouble then they have already been in.. I haven't heard any inklings of walker complaining about playing time. As a matter of fact from my seat in 211 directly across from URI bench, it appears that he is the most engaged player cheering his teammates on.. I'm certainly not against him playing more. I think game situations and matchups have to be determining factor.
You didn't say it so my bad for acting as if you did. I don't believe Cox will start Walker over either of the twins so I'm just trying to come up with a way to get him more minutes. The last thing I want is for Cox to start Walker and then one of the Twins not play enough minutes.. Typically playing three bigs is a recipe for disaster, but what I'm seeing so far isn't working.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

……would not DC be at a point where the minutes “promised” for any player would be a thing of the past……..I am convinced that he did that for Fatts, and the results speak for themselves…….and if DC went tip toeing down a similar road with the twins, then our coaching situation is worse than I thought…….his survival here here is based on playing the best combo of talent to win games, not gerrymandering minutes……..good Lord, this cannot be where we are…….
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I don’t mind both twins starting and Twan coming off the bench cuz it sounds like Cox promised them that they would start or at least get most minutes

I do agree with others that Twan should be getting 22-25 minutes per night
1 x
BlackDogRants
Steve Chubin

Unread post by BlackDogRants »

Stepping aside from who should get more minutes - for a minute - and circling back to hiring a new coach. Bit of a question for the group here, and one that I go back and fourth with - Does it make more sense to hire an up and coming guy from a lower tier league, settle for the drawn out rebuild, and hope for the eventual same success as DH had? - OR - Does it make sense to hire a bigger name with the hope he draws higher caliber recruits which speeds up a rebuild?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

……..I vote for door B…….at my age, want to see results on a fast track…….the rebuild/reload(whatever)with up and comer takes few years at best……..want a proven winner, record of success, graduates kids, has basketball system and recruits kids to be cast and perform in that system, knows the transfer portal system………I don’t want too much, do I?……..one problem…….paying that coach……..always the rub at ole State U………
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I agree with 105....plus I'm not getting any younger lol.

Pitino took less money to finish his career at Iona.....of course he had more baggage than a major airline......
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I really think people are not remembering how bad the Hurley teams were at closing out close games until half way through Dowtin’s freshmen year. Yeah, Hurley got us pumped up but they still let us down in the end until that point. The true excitement didn’t happen until they started winning close games and closing out wins. This team can still get there when Ish L. breaks out. The bigs will keep us in games but we need our guards to finish.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago
I really think people are not remembering how bad the Hurley teams were at closing out close games until half way through Dowtin’s freshmen year. Yeah, Hurley got us pumped up but they still let us down in the end until that point. The true excitement didn’t happen until they started winning close games and closing out wins. This team can still get there when Ish L. breaks out. The bigs will keep us in games but we need our guards to finish.
And Hurley said the hardest thing to do was to build a culture that believed they could win those games. Cox was given that. He inherited a core that only knew winning. Jeff, Cyril, Fatts, Christion Thompson, Ryan Preston, even your bench/practice guys knew what was expected. The whole reason we hired Cox was that momentum and culture - more even than the incoming best recruiting class ever to come to URI (that no one actually graduated from) - but that culture which is so hard to build was already built.

So now that culture has been demolished and we need to rebuild that culture again, and we think Cox is the guy? Based on what?

I hate the "who are you going to replace him with" like it's anyone on this board's job. No one on here is the AD, everyone on here is a fan. That said, you don't need to be a pilot to identify when a plane is crashing.

But as for that answer...ummm idk - any of the hundreds of assistant coaches, out of work coaches, or lower level coaches who would love a shot?

One game is not an indicator of coaching progress or prowess in either direction - good or bad. The FGCU loss wasn't why people think Cox should be fired, it was the culmination of a ton of similar type losses to bad teams with blown leads over a 100 game sample. Just like the Georgia State win where they barely fielded a D-1 roster doesn't exonerate Cox from past transgressions.

This is about the body of work, and at this point we are yet to have a single "big" win, just a ton of blown leads and late season collapses. Literally exactly like how Baron's career went. We are playing an incredibly easy schedule so it will be tough to gauge this team on wins considering most of our schedule will be Q3/Q4.

What I can say is the "lets just shoot threes" philosophy isn't really ideal when you don't have a team of Jimmy Barons. So I'm sure we'll win the games we shoot over 50% and we'll lose the games we shoot 20%.

In 4 years we don't have an identity. So we're just trying out different ones. Not a fun experiment to cheer through.

Please just let Saturday be one of the 50% days.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhody Sody wrote: 2 years ago
JimSidd wrote: 2 years ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago Who could be our Pitino?

Obviously, we know Archie would be a massive get but any other coaches that you all would be excited about??
Maybe there’s a big name wild card out there that would take the job. For me, I tend to look for head coaches with success at the low major level that are looking to move up, a la Hurley from Wagner. I know this doesn’t always work out (McCall at UMASS), but there have been successes. I know this wouldn’t be a sexy move that would create a lot of buzz. However, if you pick the right guy and he wins, there’s your buzz.
I was just looking at Matt Langel’s record. He’s been the head coach of Colgate for ten years. His first six years were not very successful, but he’s turned it around the past four years. I don’t know anything about the guy’s personality or if he wants to move up, but I think this is the type of move that needs to be made. I’m not saying he should be the guy. Just do your due diligence and pick the right guy, not just some name. I would prefer someone who’s already been a D1 coach rather than a big time assistant running his own program for the first time.
I tend to agree, worked with Hurley. I think we look for a lower level D1 coach that is up and coming. I would have taken Pitino and still would but i doubt that is an option. I’d take Archie over many optioms but not sure he is the solution. Pitino has proven over his career that he is a sure bet.
to screw your program on the way out. Fixed the ending for you.

Pitino is 69 years old and has had violations at every stop of his career. We're not Kentucky or Louisville, the stuff they got slapped on the wrist for we'd get nuked for. People need to grow up and get over this Pitino obsession. He wasn't coming here and you shouldn't want him here
4 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
JimSidd wrote: 2 years ago

Maybe there’s a big name wild card out there that would take the job. For me, I tend to look for head coaches with success at the low major level that are looking to move up, a la Hurley from Wagner. I know this doesn’t always work out (McCall at UMASS), but there have been successes. I know this wouldn’t be a sexy move that would create a lot of buzz. However, if you pick the right guy and he wins, there’s your buzz.
I was just looking at Matt Langel’s record. He’s been the head coach of Colgate for ten years. His first six years were not very successful, but he’s turned it around the past four years. I don’t know anything about the guy’s personality or if he wants to move up, but I think this is the type of move that needs to be made. I’m not saying he should be the guy. Just do your due diligence and pick the right guy, not just some name. I would prefer someone who’s already been a D1 coach rather than a big time assistant running his own program for the first time.
I tend to agree, worked with Hurley. I think we look for a lower level D1 coach that is up and coming. I would have taken Pitino and still would but i doubt that is an option. I’d take Archie over many optioms but not sure he is the solution. Pitino has proven over his career that he is a sure bet.

Pitino is 69 years old and has had violations at every stop of his career. We're not Kentucky or Louisville, the stuff they got slapped on the wrist for we'd get nuked for. People need to grow up and get over this Pitino obsession. He wasn't coming here and you shouldn't want him here
I mean - he would've been coming here since the guy who writes the checks wanted him to come here. Our admin didn't want him here. URI wants to be a bastion of moral superiority, while we concern ourselves with painting over murals in the Union.

Put me in the "I don't care" camp about violations in college basketball - because I'm not naïve enough to think that everyone doesn't do them to some extent, including us. I'm not a URI basketball fan because I love the charity work. Let's win basketball games.

Harrick was dirty too, and I wouldn't trade 98-99 for anything. Neither would anyone else.

Most NCAA rules are stupid, irrelevant, non-sensical, and arbitrary. Some of Pitino's included paying round trip airfare for a player of his to go see his family, and handing out McDonalds coupons to his team.

Of course some of his violations were more egregious on the recruiting trail - but if you think Lamar Odom came to URI for it's proximity to the beaches in December and our phenomenal educational curriculum, I sincerely hope you aren't voting in federal and state elections.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

BlackDogRants wrote: 2 years ago Stepping aside from who should get more minutes - for a minute - and circling back to hiring a new coach. Bit of a question for the group here, and one that I go back and fourth with - Does it make more sense to hire an up and coming guy from a lower tier league, settle for the drawn out rebuild, and hope for the eventual same success as DH had? - OR - Does it make sense to hire a bigger name with the hope he draws higher caliber recruits which speeds up a rebuild?
"Drawn out rebuild" is kind of vague, though, and whether you're hiring an established coach or one from a lower league, there isn't a guarantee that you avoid a year or two in the cellar. It all depends on the talent retained on the roster, primarily, and who can be attracted in (transfers or new recruits), secondarily. And thirdly, luck.

Example - Hurley had 25 wins in his second year at Wagner, which got him the URI job. It took him his third year to get to 23 wins at URI - the cupboard was pretty bare of A-10 level talent as Baron left. But it took him until year five to get the NCAAs, because of E.C.'s injury in year four. UConn was 19-12 and a weak bubble team in year two IIRC (but season suspended), and made the tournament in year three. I don't really think Hurley's ability to coach and to recruit has substantially changed in his three spots, but the inherited talent level and recruited talent certainly varied.
2 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago

I mean - he would've been coming here since the guy who writes the checks wanted him to come here. Our admin didn't want him here. URI wants to be a bastion of moral superiority, while we concern ourselves with painting over murals in the Union.

Put me in the "I don't care" camp about violations in college basketball - because I'm not naïve enough to think that everyone doesn't do them to some extent, including us. I'm not a URI basketball fan because I love the charity work. Let's win basketball games.

Harrick was dirty too, and I wouldn't trade 98-99 for anything. Neither would anyone else.

Most NCAA rules are stupid, irrelevant, non-sensical, and arbitrary. Some of Pitino's included paying round trip airfare for a player of his to go see his family, and handing out McDonalds coupons to his team.

Of course some of his violations were more egregious on the recruiting trail - but if you think Lamar Odom came to URI for it's proximity to the beaches in December and our phenomenal educational curriculum, I sincerely hope you aren't voting in federal and state elections.
he came for the jersey girls
3 x
:lol:
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

……..funny……..didn’t we all…….?
3 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

EDIT - this is even funnier to me now that I think about it.

We didn't want Pitino because of the corruption and baggage (though Iona seems just fine), but URI has a history of hiring high paid admins with political connections and zero qualifications like Bob Weygand and his ilk.

We were associated with and certainly had some connections to the Scholar Athlete Hall of Fame debacle.

Plus, this is an extension of the State of Rhode Island (and Providence Plantations) so just think of all the other behind-the-scenes-but-everyone-knows corruption that happens here. Political appointments to various University administrative roles, contracts given to political friends and donors...but yeah - basketball needs to be squeaky clean.

Newsflash - college basketball is a dirty business, the grassroots orgs are even dirtier, and if you want any talent in recruiting you have to jump in the mud. Period.

Every. Single. Program. In. The. NCAA. Is. Dirty. Even the ones that suck.

You have to be to recruit in today's environment. Stop pretending it only matters if you know about it or not. If you will only root for "clean" sports because it will make you feel better, you should start cheering on the club and intramural teams at URI.
4 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Get over your Pitino love affair. URI thankfully didn't hire him and showed that they're unwilling to go into the gutter again (Harrick) to get a coach.
I get it, you like and want sleazebags coaching your school, as long as they win. (I'm assuming you cheat on your taxes and would justify it even if you ended up in jail...and will knock over women and children on the way out the door during a fire drill too.)

Married Pitino screwed some wacko at an Italian restaurant and then got caught up in an extortion scheme, forcing him to admit to the affair. He hired strippers to have sex with recruits. He paid thousands for a recruit to attend U of L. Of course, he's got an excuse for everything. That's what liars and cheaters do. They never admit and count on suckers to stick up for them.

I'll take the Mark Schmidt's/John Belein's/Tony Bennett's of the coaching world over Slick Rick every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Now move on to URI or go to the Iona board to profess your love for Slick Rick.
1 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

We didn't want Pitino because of the corruption and baggage (though Iona seems just fine), but URI has a history of hiring high paid admins with political connections and zero qualifications like Bob Weygand and his ilk.

We were associated with and certainly had some connections to the Scholar Athlete Hall of Fame debacle.

Plus, this is an extension of the State of Rhode Island (and Providence Plantations) so just think of all the other behind-the-scenes-but-everyone-knows corruption that happens here. Political appointments to various University administrative roles, contracts given to political friends and donors...but yeah - basketball needs to be squeaky clean.

Newsflash - college basketball is a dirty business, the grassroots orgs are even dirtier, and if you want any talent in recruiting you have to jump in the mud. Period.

You have to be to recruit in today's environment. Stop pretending it only matters if you know about it or not. If you will only root for "clean" sports because it will make you feel better, you should start cheering on the club and intramural teams at URI.
BINGO!
0 x
:lol:
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago

Get over your Pitino love affair. URI thankfully didn't hire him and showed that they're unwilling to go into the gutter again (Harrick) to get a coach.
I get it, you like and want sleazebags coaching your school, as long as they win. (I'm assuming you cheat on your taxes and would justify it even if you ended up in jail...and will knock over women and children on the way out the door during a fire drill too.)

Married Pitino screwed some wacko at an Italian restaurant and then got caught up in an extortion scheme, forcing him to admit to the affair. He hired strippers to have sex with recruits. He paid thousands for a recruit to attend U of L. Of course, he's got an excuse for everything. That's what liars and cheaters do. They never admit and count on suckers to stick up for them.

I'll take the Mark Schmidt's/John Belein's/Tony Bennett's of the coaching world over Slick Rick every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Now move on to URI or go to the Iona board to profess your love for Slick Rick.
What love affair? I was a hire Cox guy.

I'm just connecting the dots and finding amusement in a school/state that is so rampant in corruption at the executive levels, that we don't have the appetite to have someone of perceived low moral character leading our basketball team.

But if you think that Mark Schmidt/John Belein/Tony Bennett, or their staff's have never done ANYTHING that would be considered a recruiting violation, I admire the bubble you live in.

That's my point. When you get to this level in college basketball - you did not get there "by the rules" because it is impossible. The dirty underworld of grassroots basketball makes it that way. The amount of money that is up for grabs makes it absolutely impossible to not be corrupted.

These are not coaches who gained notoriety for the great work at soup kitchens and food pantries. They're grown-ups coaching a children's game getting paid more money than 99% of us will ever see in a lifetime for a few seasons of sport. It's dirty, all of it.

Everyone was taking steroids in baseball.

The quicker you just accept that fact, the closer to reality you'll be living. Be honest with yourself. We're sports fans. Winning matters.

If it takes you pretending that "your" guys are the clean ones, maybe that helps you sleep at night. But you're just distorting reality to make it more palatable for you. Doesn't make it any more real.
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago There are plenty of minutes available at the 4 and 5 to keep all 3 of them happy. You can’t start the twins and Antwan bc like sometimes in basketball you need to dribble. You can’t have 2 guys on the floor as only ball handling and then a massive dip. Do we need to review the premise of the 1 dribble rule? All 3 of our bigs should really abide by that. Start Makhi and Twan and bring Makhel off the bench. That’s our best offensive lineup IMO.

Makhi
Walker
Ish
Ish
Shep

I said in a previous post that I would love for Walker to start over one of the twins and I'll be the first person to praise Cox if he comes out with that lineup against Harvard. I don't know about the rest of you, but I get the vibe he's promised the twins a starting job, like when he souled his soul to Fatts. Maybe I'm wrong...

Sure, in theory, we have enough minutes, but it's not happening.. Walker only played 22 minutes a game last year with Makhi out... So he's been underused for two straight seasons. Walker is a difference-maker and playing him less than 20 minutes a game is hurting this team's chances of winning. So the only other option I'm seeing is Cox coming up with some creative ways to get them of the floor together. I'd rather that than see Walker play less than 20 minutes a game the rest of this season.
I saw Walker come out twice and went straight to the trainers table is an aisle close to the URI Bench at Alico Arena. URI's trainer worked on his leg and then Walker went straight to the bicycle for several minutes. This is certainly at least 2 reasons for his reduced minutes versus FGSU. Does it explain the other games? No, but who knows if his leg has been bothering him for more than just the FGSU game, maybe it has and the Coaching/Trainer Staff is taking things more slowly with him.

The theory being floated now that Cox promised starting jobs to the two Mitchell's makes no sense to me. First of all, last season in the first two games Makhi started, Then from game 3 up to the rest of the season Makhel started. Makhi got hurt at the Western Kentucky game so he only played a total of 7 games.

I was hoping the Mitchell's would both be starting this season and I was happy to see Cox go that direction. They have both played well and I'd expect they will continue to improve as they play more together. They both played at the same time in High School and in AAU so nothing new to them.

I'd agree Walker could play more but his health is #1. He provides a more than adequate back up for both Mitchell's and he could play some off guard as he is a good passer and he can hit the 3 ball. I have no problem with Makhi, Makhel and Walker in the game at the same time.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

There are levels to this tho. So much nuance lost in this back and forth.

Is there pretty much rampant flouting of archaic and stupid NCAA rules by most all Div 1 coaches including guys like Schmidt. Yes.
But do some transgressions stretch to levels that are unacceptable for most? Also yes.

Paying for some kids meals isn't the same as authorizing a stripper ring to entertain your recruits.
4 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

ram1980 wrote: 2 years ago I don't ever see cox starting walker and 2 Mitchell's together. First none of them is capable of covering a quick 3 man to man and that's the only defense we play. Also, we have no big man depth. Walker is great insurance for the Mitchell's getting in foul trouble which they have been prone to do so far
Wouldn't sitting one of the Mitchell's and starting Walker do the exact same thing? It seems to me Walker has been the best of the three players going back to last year and yet he's still getting the least amount of minutes
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

ram1980 wrote: 2 years ago "So you'd prefer he'd continue to play less than 20 minutes a game? We need to try something new, or this team will continue to be mediocre. Walker should be playing 22-25 minutes. How does it work unless he's on the floor with the Twins sometimes? If we stick to man to man, we have one of the best shot blockers in the country and his brother. Their size would cause many issues for anyone driving to the hoop if a quicker wing was to get by Walker. Or go zone in the minutes they are all out there. Either that or one of Makhel, Makhi, and Walker plays less than 20 minutes a game. We need all of them out there longer than that."
Where did I say that.. and you might want to check your math.. games are 40 minutes long.. positions 4 and 5 = 80 minutes of playing time.. divide that by 3 and that is 27 minutes each give or take. If the Mitchell's have to keep covering for walker at the rim because he can't keep up with a quicker 3 they are going to get in more foul trouble then they have already been in.. I haven't heard any inklings of walker complaining about playing time. As a matter of fact from my seat in 211 directly across from URI bench, it appears that he is the most engaged player cheering his teammates on.. I'm certainly not against him playing more. I think game situations and matchups have to be determining factor.
[/quote]

As you said, if you rotate positions 4 and 5 between the two Mitchells and Walker you get almost 27 minutes a game for each guy. However, what's actually happening is
Makhel averages 27.2
Makhi averages 25.2
Walker averages 19.7

Only Makhel is averaging what he should in the situation you laid out.

Along with the Mitchell twins, Sheppard, Leggett, Martin, and El-Amin all average more minutes than Walker. Not just more minutes, but at least five and a half minutes per game more. Does anyone actually think Antwan Walker is only our seventh best player? So why is he only getting 7th player minutes? And as people have pointed out, this is a poor trend going all the way back to last year.

We're actually underplaying our bigs and overplaying our guards even though our bigs are our strength. And this is a trend going back to last year, which shows a lack of coaching growth and ability to adapt. But then again, there's a reason why I'm posting this in a thread about firing our head coach
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 2 years ago I don’t mind both twins starting and Twan coming off the bench cuz it sounds like Cox promised them that they would start or at least get most minutes

Why don't you mind that? Shouldn't starts and minutes be earned?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I'm not saying we need to be squeaky clean, but maybe we don't need the FBI snooping around our program because the head coach is blatantly paying handlers and is recruiting the Bunny Ranch to help him fill out a roster. There is a middle ground where we hire a coach that can win and doesn't do shit that would nuke our program. If you think we could have survived what Pitino did at Kentucky and Louisville, UMass has a banner they can no longer hang at the Mullins Center and 20 plus years of futility to sell you
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

reef wrote: 2 years ago I don’t mind both twins starting and Twan coming off the bench cuz it sounds like Cox promised them that they would start or at least get most minutes

Why don't you mind that? Shouldn't starts and minutes be earned?
Pretty tough to argue against the Mitchell's. Both have been excellent this season.

Walker has been very good too, so I guess it's a good problem to have.
0 x
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago There are levels to this tho. So much nuance lost in this back and forth.

Is there pretty much rampant flouting of archaic and stupid NCAA rules by most all Div 1 coaches including guys like Schmidt. Yes.
But do some transgressions stretch to levels that are unacceptable for most? Also yes.

Paying for some kids meals isn't the same as authorizing a stripper ring to entertain your recruits.
Thank you. Which is why people comparing Harrick to Pitino are completely off the mark. If Harrick was your local booky taking bets on NFL games then Pitino was the mob boss that ran illegal operations out of a Las Vegas casino. They are not the same
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago As you said, if you rotate positions 4 and 5 between the two Mitchells and Walker you get almost 27 minutes a game for each guy. However, what's actually happening is
Makhel averages 27.2
Makhi averages 25.2
Walker averages 19.7

Only Makhel is averaging what he should in the situation you laid out.

Along with the Mitchell twins, Sheppard, Leggett, Martin, and El-Amin all average more minutes than Walker. Not just more minutes, but at least five and a half minutes per game more. Does anyone actually think Antwan Walker is only our seventh best player? So why is he only getting 7th player minutes? And as people have pointed out, this is a poor trend going all the way back to last year.

We're actually underplaying our bigs and overplaying our guards even though our bigs are our strength. And this is a trend going back to last year, which shows a lack of coaching growth and ability to adapt. But then again, there's a reason why I'm posting this in a thread about firing our head coach
THANK YOU!!

It cracks me up when people respond to my post saying we have plenty of minutes for our bigs when we are literally providing facts that Walker has played less than 20 minutes this season..
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I split a bunch of the Covid posts out. If they resurface in this topic, I'm just going to delete them AND give timeouts to the users making those posts. Last warning.
9 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

This Fire Cox thread originated following the loss to Florida Gulf Coast last Tuesday

My thoughts and observations from that game:
We were only favored by 4.5 points in a true road game. We lost by 1 point - a 5.5 point gap.

We shot only 3-15 on all important 3P's. Sheppard 1-6 and Martin 0-4. Sheppard did not have the type of game he had in Daytona shooting only 3-10 FG with 4 Turnovers and never got to the FT line to score only 7 points.
Defensively I saw El-Amin start guarding Tavian Dunn-Martin, then Sheppard, Leggett sometimes switched off on Dunn-Martin, sometimes Martin and Thomas. Dunn-Marin scored 26 on 8-13 shooting but did commit 6 costly Turnovers.
FGCU hit 11-26 3P's for 33 points via 3P's while we had only 9 points on 3 P's.

We could have had this game in the last 2 minutes doing some good things and some not so good:
  • 1:50 left down 60-62 Malik Martin fouled big man Kevin Samuel who hit 1 of 2 FTs making it 60-63
  • 1:25 left El-Amin made a nice drive to the middle and hit about a 8' jumper in the lane - huge clutch shot to make it 62-63
  • :33 left After a Dunn-Martin miss Makhi Mitchell with a great dunk assisted by Makhel to make it 64-63 Rhody!!!
  • :20 left Dunn-Martin gets a layup - ARRRGGGHHHH!! 64-65 we are behind
  • :07 left Malik Martin gets fouled and hits a huge, huge FT to tie the game and FGCU calls timeout to ice Martin
  • :07 left Martin makes the 2nd FT putting URI ahead!!!!!
  • :03 seconds left Sheppard fouls Dunn-Martin about 15 feet from the half court line. Inexplicably.
  • :03 seconds left Dunn-Martin calmly sinks the first to tie and URI calls timeout to ice Dunn-Martin
  • :03 seconds left Dunn-Martin calmly sinks the 2nd FT to make it 66-67
  • :02 seconds left Dunn-Martin smartly fouls since FGCU had a foul to give running time off the clock
  • At buzzer Makhi Mitchell gets off about a 28' 3P attempt whereby he had a good look at the hoop. Shot was on line and just a little bit long hitting the back of the rim. Could easily have been a huge game winner but just missed. Good play call by URI and execution

Bottom line we lost on the road to a team we were 4.5 points favored over. We had an off shooting night compared to our norm. Walker had to deal with a leg injury.

The foul by Sheppard was not good at all. The URI Coach did not call for that foul, I am sure. Just a mistake by a guy who made the All Tournament Team in Daytona 2 days earlier. It happens, we move on and learn.

I do not think this result warranted a FIRE COX thread. I don't think we should have a FIRE COX thread at all at any time all season.

Thorr Bjorn did not extend David Cox' Contract nor give him a pay increase. I am pretty sure that David Cox must make the NCAA Tournament this year to get a Contract Extension and without a Contract Extension who knows. But I also think he deserves this season to make the NCAA Tournament just like I said of Dan Hurley in the Jim Baron 2.0 immortal thread. Let the season play out. Give the Coaching Staff and the Players support as they focus on making the NCAA Tournament. If David Cox gets close by winning 24 games or more and just misses the NCAA then sure there could be some situation whereby he gets a Contract Extension but more than likely it will be David Cox either wins the A10 Tournament or comes up fairly short of that goal. We will know in 3.5 months.

This team can do it. They can win the A10 Tournament. Likely the only way any of the 14 A10 Teams make the NCAA Tournament is to win the A10 Tournament in March. Likely only 1 team goes from the A10 so why not us? Why not URI?

The Mitchell Brothers are playing well and will only get better as the season mo yes along. They can rebound, pass, block shots, shoot and run the floor well. They are clearly enjoying playing together and with their teammates. Sheppard, Leggett, El-Amin, Martin and Walker have shown then can effectively shoot the 3 ball. A host of players already have more than 10 assists on the short season as passing has been noticeably unselfish. Martin and Walker bring size, strength and experience off the bench. This team can win the A10 - I believed this before the season and still do after watching these 1st 7 games.

Thorr and the URI President will make the right moves. We don't need to help them make their decision especially after only 6 games with a thread as negative as this one. The A10 Tournament is the key for every A10 Team.
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago This Fire Cox thread originated following the loss to Florida Gulf Coast last Tuesday

We were only favored by 4.5 points in a true road game. We lost by 1 point - a 5.5 point gap.

We shot only 3-15 on all important 3P's. Sheppard 1-6 and Martin 0-4. Sheppard did not have the type of game he had in Daytona shooting only 3-10 FG with 4 Turnovers and never got to the FT line to score only 7 points.
Defensively I saw El-Amin start guarding Tavian Dunn-Martin, then Sheppard, Leggett sometimes switched off on Dunn-Martin, sometimes Martin and Thomas. Dunn-Marin scored 26 on 8-13 shooting but did commit 6 costly Turnovers.

We could have had this game in the last 2 minutes doing some good things and some not so good:
  • 1:50 left down 60-62 Malik Martin fouled big man Kevin Samuel who hit 1 of 2 FTs making it 60-63
  • 1:25 left El-Amin made a nice drive to the middle and hit about a 8' jumper in the lane - huge clutch shot to make it 62-63
  • :33 left After a Dunn-Martin miss Makhi Mitchell with a great dunk assisted by Makhel to make it 64-63 Rhody!!!
  • :07 left Malik Martin gets fouled and hits a huge, huge FT to tie the game and FGCU calls timeout to ice Martin
  • :03 seconds left Sheppard fouls Dunn-Martin about 15 feet from the half court line. Inexplicably.
  • :03 seconds left Dunn-Martin calmly sinks the first to tie and URI calls timeout to ice Dunn-Martin
  • :02 seconds left Dunn-Martin smartly fouls since FGCU had a foul to give running time off the clock
  • At buzzer Makhi Mitchell gets off about a 28' 3P attempt whereby he had a good look at the hoop. Shot was on line and just a little bit long hitting the back of the rim. Could easily have been a huge game winner but just missed. Good play call by URI and execution

Bottom line we lost on the road to a team we were 4.5 points favored over. We had an off shooting night compared to our norm. Walker had to deal with a leg injury.

The foul by Sheppard was not good at all. The URI Coach did not call for that foul, I am sure. Just a mistake by a guy who made the All Tournament Team in Daytona 2 days earlier. It happens, we move on and learn.

I do not think this result warranted a FIRE COX thread. I don't think we should have a FIRE COX thread at all at any time all season.

Thorr Bjorn did not extend David Cox' Contract nor give him a pay increase. I am pretty sure that David Cox must make the NCAA Tournament this year to get a Contract Extension and without a Contract Extension who knows. But I also think he deserves this season to make the NCAA Tournament just like I said of Dan Hurley in the Jim Baron 2.0 immortal thread. Let the season play out. Give the Coaching Staff and the Players support as they focus on making the NCAA Tournament. If David Cox gets close by winning 24 games or more and just misses the NCAA then sure there could be some situation whereby he gets a Contract Extension but more than likely it will be David Cox either wins the A10 Tournament or comes up fairly short of that goal. We will know in 3.5 months.

This team can do it. They can win the A10 Tournament. Likely the only way any of the 14 A10 Teams make the NCAA Tournament is to win the A10 Tournament in March. Likely only 1 team goes from the A10 so why not us? Why not URI?

The Mitchell Brothers are playing well and will only get better as the season mo yes along. They can rebound, pass, block shots, shoot and run the floor well. They are clearly enjoying playing together and with their teammates. Sheppard, Leggett, El-Amin, Martin and Walker have shown then can effectively shoot the 3 ball. A host of players already have more than 10 assists on the short season as passing has been noticeably unselfish. Martin and Walker bring size, strength and experience off the bench. This team can win the A10 - I believed this before the season and still do after watching these 1st 7 games.

Thorr and the URI President will make the right moves. We don't need to help them make their decision especially after only 6 games with a thread as negative as this one. The A10 Tournament is the key for every A10 Team.
Bra-F**king-Vo!
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
This is missing the point that a very big part of the problem is that we were only favored by 4.5 points in a Q4 game and even that turned out to be too generous. We are not where we need to be as a program. It’s not like things have been going well and the fan base lost its mind suddenly over the results of one game. Most fans have been anxious about the direction of the program since January/February of 2020. The FGCU debacle was clear evidence that a magical turnaround of the program has not happened.

I think everyone here loves David Cox as a guy and for what he did here as an assistant. But the evidence is in now and it is clear that the program has backslid under his watch. Barring a miracle over the next four months this experiment has run its course. It gives me no personal joy at all to say that, unlike the last time we called for a coach to be fired. Baron hung around long enough that everyone turned on him and it required a borderline miracle from Hurley to right the ship. I don’t want to see the same thing happen to Cox, or for the program to get to the same place it did under Baron. I’d rather be a year too early moving on from a coach than a year too late, and we may already be a year too late.
7 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago There are levels to this tho. So much nuance lost in this back and forth.

Thank you. Which is why people comparing Harrick to Pitino are completely off the mark. If Harrick was your local booky taking bets on NFL games then Pitino was the mob boss that ran illegal operations out of a Las Vegas casino. They are not the same
The extortion thing was really bad for Slick Rick after he got the quickie in the restaurant but that’s more of a morals thing

On the stripper thing sometimes you do have a rogue assistant that goes behind your back and does stuff you don’t know about. Ultimately he paid the price by getting fired cuz he’s the head of the program but I sincerely doubt he knew about the whole stripper thing
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago This Fire Cox thread originated following the loss to Florida Gulf Coast last Tuesday

So what you are saying is there is no shot to make the NCAA tournament without winning the A-10 tournament at the end of the year? I’m not sure that is a great strategy as every program in the country can lay claim to this and it is highly unlikely this team is good enough to do that. The way this program is run I’m sure with any record over .500 Cox will be given his last year of the contract. Just hope they do something ridiculous like give an extension without making the NCAA tourney. I don’t recruits or the current players we have our an issue anymore. It isn’t like it was 4 years ago. Who even follows the recruiting board any longer? Years ago when Walker was on the magazine cover and the big guy that went to FSU it was huge. With new transfer rules it doesn’t matter. Also I’m pretty sure St Bonaventure is getting in without winning the A-10 tourney
1 x
BlackDogRants
Steve Chubin

Unread post by BlackDogRants »

Here is another take I've mentioned before... What about Cox leaving? The guy has to have some pride. He cant be happy with that he's "accomplished" here. The famed recruits are gone. You're yet to have a single marquee win. Current recruiting is kind of dry. Hasn't gotten the program upgrades he was promised. Just like the university shouldn't drag it out, neither should Cox.

Its not like he currently has any recruits with program changing talent he is fostering to look toward. This team is currently a patchwork made from the land of misfit toys (transfer portal).

What is HE staying for?

Would you rather be a HC wallowing in mediocrity, with no identity or go back to doing what you do best (better), recruiting and being an assistant... even at a higher level.

Maybe wishful thinking for a more amicable ending to this failed experiment.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

…….I mentioned that when things seemed to be swirling the drain last season……doubt it will happen…..I moved, still struggling with grasping the shreds of positivity, to let the season play out, see where we are at that point…….gave the early season some hope we can be good enough to play our way into the post season……even if it is the NIT…….
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938