11/27 | Georgia State | 4:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Re: 11/27 | Georgia State | 4:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I have not loved that part of Makhi’s game - but I disagree that it isn’t something he should be working on. It will make us a much better team if he can handle the ball confidently. He also has barely played any college basketball so he needs to figure out what he can do in an actual game. In a blowout game it makes sense to work on it a little it just needs to come at the right time.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

…..if either twin handles the ball in advancing up court and results in turn over(s) then coaching(not him figuring it out for himself)has got to step in and teach him to give it up to better ball handler……at this level the ball possessions are far valuable for a trial and error approach…….no?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

I have zero issue with Makhi’s game or attitude (except for the aforementioned dribbling anywhere not directly under the basket). Khi was definitely frustrated last night and I had a bird’s eye view of him getting fouled numerous times under the rim (at least in the 1H) with no call.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I have heard Cox say that Makhi has guard skills. I don't see it.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago I have heard Cox say that Makhi has guard skills. I don't see it.
Court vision is considered a guard skill. He has that.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Makhi has good ball skills. He’s a good passer and he is building a competent outside stroke. I’m also all for Makhi expanding his game and playing more facing the basket. However there is zero reason for him ever to grab a rebound and try to go length of the court. It’s happened already way too many times. It’s akin to watching a car crash in slow motion. You just know it’s not gonna end well.
3 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
Donrxer79 wrote: 2 years ago Seeing a Mitchell take more than one dribble makes my head want to explode. I want to see a guard run up to him and say " Give me the effin ball "
Cox sold his soul for Fatts to stay here, did he do something similar to get the twins to transfer here?

It’s hard to insult their play though, they’ve been forces in the paint.

I don’t mind the chippy play at all, we need that.

I am in agreement though, Just wish they wouldn’t dribble so much in the open floor.
It's fine to play the twins as much as he does, but can he not just tell them to never freaking dribble?

I mean how could he be too scared? Are they impossible to reason with?

"Look guys, I love you but, you turn it over literally everytime you dribble can you please stop?"

Twins "but we love dribbling!"

Cox "It has to stop it makes you look bad and hurts the team"

Twins "We have your soul and you shall not question our dribbling again."

Cox 😳
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

What’s almost worse is every time it’s happened our guards literally don’t even try to go get it … it’s like everyone’s in on the strategy to have Makhi go paint to paint off a rebound.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Should be a great coaching point in film study needs to be brought up unforced turnovers are killing us and against top competition it could cost us a couple games if not fixed
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

SandorClegane wrote: 2 years ago
DeanDome88 wrote: 2 years ago I'm sick of watching Makhi Mitchell play basketball like he is in a meaningless pickup game and the chippy play is getting old fast. I enjoyed watching Tres Berry tonight. We can use another guard with decent size who can defend and I'm glad the coach finally put him into a basketball game. Ish Leggett looked like a more fluid athlete to my eyes on Television last season than he does live this season in the Ryan Center glad he was able to hit some open 3 pointers today. We are 5-2 and do not look like a very good basketball team at this point. Walker and Martin consistently play hard and both come off the bench. I do not think the head coach is sending the right message to the players.
Disagree on the Mitchell comment. We need someone out there that plays angry. I’m fine with a T now and then, if done at the right time. Tyrese had it, Cyril had it, Stan had it. We need to play with a chip on our shoulder. I think Makhi is our guy this year.

Agree on everyone’s statement on the Mitchell’s bringing up the ball though. :?
Fine with a T? Seriously?

1) You realize a T counts as a personal foul.
2) The potential points you give away with a T can cost you in a close game.
3) A T shows that a player doesn't have his head, is not a leader, and easily gets taken out of his game by an opponent or a bad call...none of which is good.
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

This win had such an odd positive effect on our Kenpom rankings (among others). Seems to be a big gap that those metrics don’t factor in injuries. We hung a 35 point win on a borderline top 100 Kenpom team that was playing with a borderline D1 roster.

This isn’t a complaint just an oddity how much we jumped
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago This win had such an odd positive effect on our Kenpom rankings (among others). Seems to be a big gap that those metrics don’t factor in injuries. We hung a 35 point win on a borderline top 100 Kenpom team that was playing with a borderline D1 roster.

……Team Rankings has a similar positive look at things…….my reaction was, what game were they watching…….will post here later…….FWIW
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago
KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago This win had such an odd positive effect on our Kenpom rankings (among others). Seems to be a big gap that those metrics don’t factor in injuries. We hung a 35 point win on a borderline top 100 Kenpom team that was playing with a borderline D1 roster.

……Team Rankings has a similar positive look at things…….my reaction was, what game were they watching…….will post here later…….FWIW
Well the answer is they don’t watch games. All these metrics are purely stats based. Don’t know of any that incorporate injuries. It’s one of the biggest gaps in ranking teams. It’s 2021 and on selection Sunday media will reference “Q1 wins” over a short handed team as if they were at full strength.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago
DeanDome88 wrote: 2 years ago I'm sick of watching Makhi Mitchell play basketball like he is in a meaningless pickup game and the chippy play is getting old fast. I enjoyed watching Tres Berry tonight. We can use another guard with decent size who can defend and I'm glad the coach finally put him into a basketball game. Ish Leggett looked like a more fluid athlete to my eyes on Television last season than he does live this season in the Ryan Center glad he was able to hit some open 3 pointers today. We are 5-2 and do not look like a very good basketball team at this point. Walker and Martin consistently play hard and both come off the bench. I do not think the head coach is sending the right message to the players.
Disagree on the Mitchell comment. We need someone out there that plays angry. I’m fine with a T now and then, if done at the right time. Tyrese had it, Cyril had it, Stan had it. We need to play with a chip on our shoulder. I think Makhi is our guy this year.

3) A T shows that a player doesn't have his head, is not a leader, and easily gets taken out of his game by an opponent or a bad call...none of which is good.
Speaking of Technical Fouls.......

21 seconds into the 2nd half at 19:39 Kane Williams missed a 3P and Kalik Brooks got the offensive rebound. As he gathered the ball in the Ref called him for an offensive foul at 19:36 as he tried to move with the ball. I thought it was a terrible call at the moment it happened right in front of the Georgia State bench and close to where I was sitting. A big break for URI as we were only up 6 at the time. GSU HC Rob Lanier got a Technical Foul as he didn't agree with the call and got a Technical at 19:33. Sheppard got 2 FT's and made both. Leggett then hit a 3P at 19:22 as URI got the ball after the Technical.

So instead of GSU with the ball on the Offensive Rebound, URI ended up with 5 points and instead of being up 6, URI was up 11 - all happened in about 11 seconds. Game was never close after that call.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Small sample sizes are still in effect. Georgia State is around #119 right now, likely because they've had some large wins (against weaker opponents). Kenpom stats also tend to value the margin of victory even more than wins, since, say, a 1-point win often means a game was decided by luck or a bad call one way or the other, whereas a 20-point win is a clear sign of a better team. The ranking is usually much better at the end of the year - For 2020-21, your top four was Gonzaga, Baylor, Michigan and Illinois, with Houston at 5, Loyola Chicago at 10 and UCLA at 13.

ETA: Clarified my point a little bit.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

DC_Rams wrote: 2 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago I have heard Cox say that Makhi has guard skills. I don't see it.
Court vision is considered a guard skill. He has that.
Assists tend to associate with court vision:

Sheppard - 26
Leggett - 14
Makhi Mitchell - 13
Makhel Mitchell - 12
El-Amin - 12
Walker - 11
Martin - 8
Thomas - 6
Carey - 2

The Mitchell's pass the ball well and so does Walker.
0 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago

Sometimes you have to play with some fire. A technical in a good spot isn’t a bad thing. Stop talking like you’ve never played basketball. “Doesn’t have his head”… #trashtalkhappens
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers