11/23 | Florida Gulf Coast | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: 11/23 | Florida Gulf Coast | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Didn't watch the game, probably glad about that.
Just an embarrassing loss. Every game is going to be a challenge for us.
0 x
bwerner10
Steve Chubin

Unread post by bwerner10 »

I just watched the end again, the last foul was on Sheppard he put his hand on his back to give him the 1 on 1. The lack of quickness at the guard level got exposed tonight.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

We were up by 14.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The difference between Baron and Cox, is that JB usually found ways to lose to equal or better teams, but at least would beat bad teams.

Cox can't even do that.

How many times will this repeat this season?
6 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The Fire David Cox thread will be up soon enough.
3 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Thank god for Gonzaga vs UCLA tonight. College basketball doesn’t have to be this gross
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago The Fire David Cox thread will be up soon enough.
I thought it already was.
2 x
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago Like. How do you blow a 14 point lead to a team this bad?
Maybe because you’re just as bad…
1 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

Cox needs to clean out his office tomorrow morning. I dont care it’s thanksgiving eve.

Turn it over to bozeman the rest of the way and get the search committee going Friday morning.
9 x
:lol:
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago The Fire David Cox thread will be up soon enough.
Baron 2.1?
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I feel bad for the people losing their minds.

This should be expected based on the body of work - really starting from the Brown game a few years ago.
8 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

If this loss causes a coaching change, Florida Gulf Coast will be my 2nd favorite team.
8 x
'No Mercy.'
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

PC only scores 40 points and loses by 18. Can sleep peacefully now
2 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago The difference between Baron and Cox, is that JB usually found ways to lose to equal or better teams, but at least would beat bad teams.

Cox can't even do that.

How many times will this repeat this season?

I guess losing to Duke by 1 is better than losing FGCU by 1.
1 x
'No Mercy.'
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

Can’t blame yourself for being supportive of hiring Cox.

About 99.9999% of people were.
That's a little high.......
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

To quantify how abominable this loss is, can someone please post FGCU's recent rankings?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Rhody22 wrote: 2 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago Like. How do you blow a 14 point lead to a team this bad?
Maybe because you’re just as bad…
……over heard in the FGC locker room at 1/2……Dunn Martin telling the team……..we got them where we want them, I scene this before……
Last edited by section(105) 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

What an awful performance in the second half. They are just far too sloppy with the ball. No improvement from last year. They shrug off turnovers like they're no big deal. They need better discipline and basketball awareness. We'll see what happens.
1 x
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

UCH21377 wrote: 2 years ago What an awful performance in the second half. They are just far too sloppy with the ball. No improvement from last year. They shrug off turnovers like they're no big deal. They need better discipline and basketball awareness. We'll see what happens.
They also need better coaching.
2 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

The good news is coaching changes can result in a quicker turnaround than before since transfers don’t have to sit

The bad news is i don’t see a change coming anytime soon.

I hope I’m wrong.
2 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Good guard play is a prerequisite to a good season - the URI guards do not have quickness, no one deadly on shooting, and they are a tentative bunch. You need assertive guard play especially at the point. We do not have that in Sheppard. Last season I never quite got the fascination with Leggett, this year you only know he's on the court when he takes those wild, low percentage shots under the basket. And lately he can't hit even a free throw. The little guy from FGCU was 8-8. And don't get me going on Cox.
2 x
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

Also not sure if it’s been stated yet but obviously this teams weakness is it’s backcourt. The three bigs (Mitchell’s & Waller) were a combined 18-28 from the field tonight. The fact that those three combined for just three shots (this is counting the last second three attempt by Mitchell) attempts in the last 8 minutes of game time is coaching malpractice. LAUGHABLY PATHETIC
3 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Gonebarongone wrote: 2 years ago

I’ll admit I was in favor of hiring him. I was scared to death to lose Fatts, Harris, Martin and the other recruits. I guess that didn’t work out as planned. I would never feel that way again especially in the current state of college basketball with 1000 player transfers per year. Getting a coach that knows what is going on is much more important.
3 x
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago PC only scores 40 points and loses by 18. Can sleep peacefully now
It will be a massacre at the dunk on December 4th if this keeps up. Sadly I bought tickets today thinking this team would be 7-1 going into that game. Thankfully I did not renew my season tickets this season.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Like clockwork :lol:
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Joe95 wrote: 2 years ago
KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago PC only scores 40 points and loses by 18. Can sleep peacefully now
It will be a massacre at the dunk on December 4th if this keeps up. Sadly I bought tickets today thinking this team would be 7-1 going into that game. Thankfully I did not renew my season tickets this season.
After tonight you won’t find me arguing our case

But I actually think PC is as fraudulent as ever. One good big man, one decent guard, a bunch of mis fits and no bench
2 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

RamStock wrote: 2 years ago

I’ll admit I was in favor of hiring him. I was scared to death to lose Fatts, Harris, Martin and the other recruits. I guess that didn’t work out as planned. I would never feel that way again especially in the current state of college basketball with 1000 player transfers per year. Getting a coach that knows what is going on is much more important.
That’s exactly the same song people sang for the Gerry D hire!!!

The fact we could have warped up Patino in an evening with extremely favorable terms for URI is quite mind boggling right now!!!

GO RHODY!
2 x
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago
Joe95 wrote: 2 years ago
After tonight you won’t find me arguing our case

But I actually think PC is as fraudulent as ever. One good big man, one decent guard, a bunch of mis fits and no bench
Trust me I agree I actually agree with you on PC being fraudulent and want nothing more to beat them this year, but it would take a perfect game and a well coached team to accomplish that and we all know that isn’t happening. PC would’ve beat that FGCU team by about 25 points easy. This backcourt can’t handle a little adversity against Florida gulf coast then it will be really ugly to watch against a packed crowd at the dunk.
2 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

brady1 wrote: 2 years ago

The fact we could have warped up Patino in an evening with extremely favorable terms for URI is quite mind boggling right now!!!

GO RHODY!
I was just out of college so I'm sure I felt the same way back than and thought if we can keep Odom we can go places. Wrong again. Odom and Jerry D won that poker hand easily.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I could really care less if we win another game this season.

Whatever it takes to change the "culture".

I hope it gets so bad that it will force Thorr to fire him.

The sooner, the better.

Put Bozeman in charge, nothing to lose now.

Lesson learned is, NEVER again keep someone just because you're afraid of losing recruits.
5 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

In positive news, the Women crushed Harvard to go to 6-0. Time to support that team.
11 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Obadiah wrote: 2 years ago Good guard play is a prerequisite to a good season - the URI guards do not have quickness, no one deadly on shooting, and they are a tentative bunch. You need assertive guard play especially at the point. We do not have that in Sheppard. Last season I never quite got the fascination with Leggett, this year you only know he's on the court when he takes those wild, low percentage shots under the basket. And lately he can't hit even a free throw. The little guy from FGCU was 8-8. And don't get me going on Cox.
Guard play was my biggest worry coming in.

Cox has not coached well in game and he did not do a great job of getting guards good enough to get us to where we want to go.

I never got why people thought Leggett was that good either. He really doesn't have a high ceiling. He's a solid role player.

Every one of our guards is a solid role player. You need an EC or a JT.

You just can't rely on any of them to go out there and be a force to be reckoned with offensively.

We needed a shooter or a healthy and effective wing in Betrand
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Positive post time. Friars got their clocks cleaned. Maybe this is the kick in the shorts they (the Rams) needed. We’ll see.
It’s a long season.
0 x
GO RAMS
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago Positive post time. Friars got their clocks cleaned. Maybe this is the kick in the shorts they (the Rams) needed. We’ll see.
It’s a long season.
Oh it’s going to be now.
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

brady1 wrote: 2 years ago

The fact we could have warped up Pitono in an evening with extremely favorable terms for URI is quite mind boggling right now!!!

GO RHODY!
Bump... with DC as head assistant?
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Went to the game, so that sucked. A few things that stood out:
  • Cox never even tried to throw some length at Dunn-Martin to at least disrupt him. Absolutely baffling that Malik Martin with his size and defense prowess (2019-20 CUSA All Defensive Team) was not draping Dunn-Martin all night. Even if the game plan was to have Martin defend someone else, Cox needs to make the adjustment when Dunn-Martin is torching Rhody.
  • Shep is godawful on the defensive end. He was getting crossed up by Dunn-Martin all night and even the chubby backup PG was having no problem creating space with Shep.
  • As bad as Shep was on defense, he was even worse on offense. I counted 4 tipped or errant passes that led to turnovers in the second half, inexcusable sloppiness given his experience level.
  • Thomas impressed me, but Cox is asking way too much of this kid. Why was Thomas running the point down five on the road in the second half? Aren't we in year 4? I know Carey was out but c'mon.
  • Can we get Thomas' jersey fixed? The M on his jersey is an upside down W.
  • Glad Thorr was there to see this debacle in person.
  • This game felt like the beginning of the end of the Cox era.
4 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

The only thing FGCU could at the end of the game was get the inbounds pass to Dun and let him race down the court. Our coaches should have know that and kept the ball out of his hands. What else could they have done? Let someone else try to beat us. Worse case would be the twin towers waiting for him at the foul line forcing him to make a shot running at full sped. Anyone here think that was discussed during the time out before that play? Remember the Umass game (may have been Baron's last year) when their very quick point guard went the length of the court to win the game
at the buzzer. I was there. Too bad COX WASN'T THERE as he might have remembered there was no other play.

Really looking forward to Saturday ....................
Last edited by eli#10 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

reef wrote: 2 years ago I was screaming no fouls once we took lead by 1

Cox should have told them in the huddle not to foul and keep the twins in the paint in case they drove

If they made a 3 to win so be it

Don’t lose that way !!

I think the correct move was to double the little fella at midcourt and force him to give up the ball and then overplay him so he can't get it back.

no idea why we would let the little guy keep the ball and make a play.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago Our guards deserve most if not all the blame. Sheppard is a senior playing like a freshmen. Does Leggett know what planet he’s on? A week ago people were saying he should transfer to a P5 and now the kid forgot how to play basketball. El-Amin looked fine but needs to be assertive when the the backcourt is in a coma

The truth is we do not have a point guard, it is taking away from Shepards offense, and he is truly a makeshift Point guard.

Cox should have realized this and found one in the transfer portal. Thomas is not going to throw it away, but, far from a competent A-10 point guard.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

eli#10 wrote: 2 years ago The only thing FGCU could at the end of the game was get the inbounds pass to Dun and let him race down the court. Our coaches should have know that and kept the ball out of his hands. What else could they have done? Let someone else try to beat us. Worse case would be the twin towers waiting for him at the foul line forcing him to make a shot running at full sped. Anyone here think that was discussed during the time out before that play? Remember the Umass game (may have been Baron's last year) when their very quick point guard went the length of the court to win the game
at the buzzer. I was there. Too bad COX WASN'T THERE as he might have remembered there was no other play.

I like that idea Cox should have told Martin to shadow Dunn on the way up the court and have the Twins waiting in the paint to force a tough shot. If Martin hounds him that could bother Dunn with a taller guy and then the Twins are waiting on the back end instead Shep fouls him and he is money at the line just awful
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

reef, watching this team and coach is like watching the movie Groundhog Day over and over again.

The same mistakes, the same lack of discipline.

Completely going away from what was working for most of the game, which was getting the ball inside...instead the guards start chucking up bad shot after bad shot.

And the coach does nothing about it. A high school coach could see what needed to be done.

The improvements we thought we saw are a mirage.

When the pressure is on, we fold like a cheap tent.

Anybody who STILL thinks that will change, are fooling themselves.
3 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

We lost bc of turnovers and lack of defensive focus in 2nd half. Not bc we took bad shots. We shot 50% from the field.
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

4-5 turnovers on as many possessions destroyed our night. I believe at least 2 of them were on Sheppard. He has not played as most of us expected this year...
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Talent and coaching just not there. If this team cannot beat a team like FGCU (which until then had no D1 victories) on its court, it will win few other true road games.

This team and program is officially stuck in neutral. We are just treading water these days as a middling program in a much diminished A-10.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If Thorr and URI are happy with being a mediocre team and being mid pack [or worse] then they have their man.

Baron 2.0 indeed....at least he got us to 5 NIT's......with Cox I doubt we ever make one......NCAA tourney....HA!
2 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

eli#10 wrote: 2 years ago The only thing FGCU could at the end of the game was get the inbounds pass to Dun and let him race down the court. Our coaches should have know that and kept the ball out of his hands. What else could they have done? Let someone else try to beat us. Worse case would be the twin towers waiting for him at the foul line forcing him to make a shot running at full sped. Anyone here think that was discussed during the time out before that play? Remember the Umass game (may have been Baron's last year) when their very quick point guard went the length of the court to win the game

Easier said than done.
Sincerely,
Tyus Edney
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

This looks bad now, but this squad could shoot off 5-6 wins in a row and all is well is Kingston. Crazier things have happened.
0 x
GO RAMS
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Come on fellas, I thought we'd get to 10 pages by now. Let's get to work!
1 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago This looks bad now, but this squad could shoot off 5-6 wins in a row and all is well is Kingston. Crazier things have happened.
no, no, no, no. just no.

the guys in that dressing room know what an abortion of loss this is. and if they don't, then we have more issues than we're aware of.

this is a demoralizing loss that will fester. like jock itch. so I've heard. this is a loss that causes guys to pack it in. causes guys to go into business for themselves and that causes other issues.

it's going to get uglier before its gets better. I promise you.
2 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago Come on fellas, I thought we'd get to 10 pages by now. Let's get to work!
i'm trying
2 x