11/17 | Boston College | 6:00PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Re: 11/17 | Boston College | 6:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I think Jalen is starting to come into his own. He’s using his athleticism more and is electric around the basket.
3 x
Slava Ukraini!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago Loved when EA talked to Thomas after a bad shot. We haven't that kind of leadership for a couple of years. Good move making him a captain. Also love that Bozeman works with players and advises Cox during games. Cox has not had a good right hand man til now.
I agree. When a player comes out of the game, Bozeman sits next to him, puts his arm around him and talks. Whether it's correcting a mistake or pointing out something positive that the player did, I always thought this was the best time to do it, when whatever it was is still fresh on their minds. It's a perfect teaching moment. You're right, I haven't seen a lot of that with assistants lately here.
3 x
Dowtinsavestheworld
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Dowtinsavestheworld »

Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago I think Jalen is starting to come into his own. He’s using his athleticism more and is electric around the basket.
Yes but he can't dribble. I dream of his potential but Jermaine Harris also fooled me in the past.
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago Loved when EA talked to Thomas after a bad shot. We haven't that kind of leadership for a couple of years. Good move making him a captain. Also love that Bozeman works with players and advises Cox during games. Cox has not had a good right hand man til now.
I agree. When a player comes out of the game, Bozeman sits next to him, puts his arm around him and talks. Whether it's correcting a mistake or pointing out something positive that the player did, I always thought this was the best time to do it, when whatever it was is still fresh on their minds. It's a perfect teaching moment. You're right, I haven't seen a lot of that with assistants lately here.
Cox did this a lot when he was Hurley's asst.
3 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Nice to see Jalen improve, but his two turnovers in 10 seconds were especially bad because they caused the momentum to shift back to BC. Not all turnovers are equal, some are more equal.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Dowtinsavestheworld wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago I think Jalen is starting to come into his own. He’s using his athleticism more and is electric around the basket.
Yes but he can't dribble. I dream of his potential but Jermaine Harris also fooled me in the past.
That ball sure can get away from him....

Good thing he's doing more good than bad this year...some of it really good!
2 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

KevanBoyles wrote: 2 years ago FWIW, RealTime RPI had us at 201 with a loss on 11-12 to Utah State. Hopefully, they will correct it soon. With BC at 115 and Utah State at 52 (including the “win” over Rhody), I gotta believe we could be in the top 100. Yes, I know it’s early.
RPI doesn’t mean anything at all anymore, use net, kenpom etc only
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

When Carey is in we should run sets to get him isolated in space and with double gaps. Where it’s just straight downhill and no decision making. He can beat almost anyone off the dribble and finish athletically at the rim, when the spacing is right. I would also invert the offense and post him up. But it was a very on brand game- from tough finishes at the rim and a baseline fadeaway to throwing the ball to no one on multiple occasions.
2 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

BINGO! Coach Cox has really benefitted from Assistant Coach Bozeman's contributions. He clearly has the respect not only of Cox but all the players.
1 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago

I cringe when he’s the primary ball handler. I’m also not a big fan of the lineup that doesn’t include any of the three starting guards. I believe that happened twice. Having Carey and Thomas as guards without one of the starting guards along with them makes me nervous.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

JimSidd wrote: 2 years ago

I cringe when he’s the primary ball handler. I’m also not a big fan of the lineup that doesn’t include any of the three starting guards. I believe that happened twice. Having Carey and Thomas as guards without one of the starting guards along with them makes me nervous.
I feel the sameway however, they held their own better than I thought they would. Not sure if that will be the case against better teams.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I like the 9 man rotation so far !! No injuries please
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I'm OK with giving Thomas some spot minutes as the primary ballhandler, just to see what it looks like, and to get him used to that in a game situation. Always good to have options, plus, two of our guards will be graduating and unavailable next year. Carey though, yeah, I think he's proven that he should only be a "break glass in extreme emergency" kind of PG.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

…..I think he will grow into much more than that kind of PG……..does not seem to have deer in the headlights some freshmen have, like his intensity on defense……..he needs to keep getting some meaningful minutes……..just me……
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Who are the team captains?
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago

I'm OK with giving Thomas some spot minutes as the primary ballhandler, just to see what it looks like, and to get him used to that in a game situation. Always good to have options, plus, two of our guards will be graduating and unavailable next year. Carey though, yeah, I think he's proven that he should only be a "break glass in extreme emergency" kind of PG.
I agree. I like this group of guards and they have room to improve for sure, but I am not a fan of Carey. He is a turnover machine and just doesn't have a fit. He isn't a point guard and he sure isn't a shooting guard.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

SandorClegane wrote: 2 years ago
Who are the team captains?
………EA acts and leads like a captain……..
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

I like how this guy had URI -5.5 over BC in this game in this monster parlay he hit.

0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

spookydog wrote: 2 years ago I like how this guy had URI -5.5 over BC in this game in this monster parlay he hit.

Wow. Amazing he picked all 15

Does he have to pay taxes on that? Can he provide proof of losses to help offset the win? Nice problem to have regardless.

That UCONN favored by 24.5 was. As LIU and UCONN won 93-40!!!
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Only if the bettor itemizes deductions
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Some context to Ish' offensive struggles so far:

0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Ish has struggled shooting, but the one positive so far this year is that he's drawing more FTA per 40. He's at 6.2, which is still off Fatts' rate of 8+ last year and this year with Maryland, but pretty good for a sophomore. Looking at the Kenpom stats, URI is actually 209th in pace - meaning we play slow - which seems odd for a team that seems pretty athletic. Maybe it's a coaching philosophy to limit turnovers, but I think we "need" the offense more from playing faster and taking advantage of transition opportunities, vs. getting into the offense every time. (ETA: I didn't look at the game logs for Ish, so I do realize that one game with a bunch of FT attempts could be skewing his numbers here; small sample size caveats apply.)
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago Ish has struggled shooting, but the one positive so far this year is that he's drawing more FTA per 40. He's at 6.2, which is still off Fatts' rate of 8+ last year and this year with Maryland, but pretty good for a sophomore. Looking at the Kenpom stats, URI is actually 209th in pace - meaning we play slow - which seems odd for a team that seems pretty athletic. Maybe it's a coaching philosophy to limit turnovers, but I think we "need" the offense more from playing faster and taking advantage of transition opportunities, vs. getting into the offense every time. (ETA: I didn't look at the game logs for Ish, so I do realize that one game with a bunch of FT attempts could be skewing his numbers here; small sample size caveats apply.)
He had 17 attempts in the first 3 games but only 4 in the last 2 games.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

spookydog wrote: 2 years ago I like how this guy had URI -5.5 over BC in this game in this monster parlay he hit.

I saw that last night Spook, my first thought URI helped this guy to 1.3 Milly !!
1 x