11/21 Boston College

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Re: 11/21 Boston College

Unread post by McRam »

LIRAM wrote: 2 years ago Good Win. Shot the ball extremely well and everyone played within themselves. Martin and Walker were very good tonight. Give the staff credit for going with this lineup. Ish L is struggling and pressing. Sheppard and Ish E are developing great chemistry and work extremely well together. Playing Martin with them against the stronger/bigger BC guards was the right call. Ish L should be rotated in and used as the point guard when Shep needs a break. Thomas is not ready against the likes of Tulsa/BC.

Poor job on the backboards. I think we only had two offense boards and I think we gave up about a dozen. Not sure I understand where all of you are coming from with the hostility directed toward Cox. This strategy the last 5 minutes with a lead is used by many coaches who trust there shot makers and match-ups. Dan used this and still uses it at UConn. Countless Coaches go with this. Time and score and shorten the game? Trust your kids to make plays and put your opponent in a spread setting and find the match-up you like. Many of you have already made up your minds I get it. There are many things I have scratched my head with the last few seasons but I think we are making progress.

The players on this team are playing for each other and playing for the staff. I hope this continues. Last night was not a good last 10 minutes! Tonight was better against a team we have know beaten twice. Congrats and let's get the next one.
g
Except it was not the last five. started slowing it down around 10 and then single digit on time clock for many tough shots. Why would you so this when you so obviously have the better team?

Remain convinced that Cox is lacking much as a bench/game coach.
1 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

DC_Rams wrote: 2 years ago So let me get this straight…

We shot 51% from the field, 52% from 3, decrease in TOs to 13, had 10 steals and shot 16-19 FT, and we are still complaining after a win?!

We knew all the wins wouldn’t all be pretty, but isn’t winning all we care about?!

Help me understand.

We have to shoot well to win games, we did. Now we are saying, we can’t afford to shoot worse, or we will lose. This twisted logic is just mind boggling.
DC When fans see questionable decisions we criticize- that is because, bad decisions against better teams will cost us. Slowing down the ball changes the game and if you are winning why would you change what is working???
1 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

I didn't see the last two games, but 2 wins over BC in less than a week is nice. Even if BC is the bottom of the ACC barrel, it's not easy to beat the same team twice in that span, so I'll take it.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago I didn't see the game, only seeing the box score. Looks like Antwan played well. 15 points, zero turnovers. Didn't miss a single shot. But if he was playing so well, why did he only get 17 minutes? He only had 1 foul, so it wasn't that. Is this the pre-planned rotation at work?
If the twins don't play, they won't stay.

At least that's my guess....they came here with the promise of major PT.

There's only 80 minutes to share between them and Walker.

I agree Antwan should have played more because he was playing well....at least 25 minutes or so.

If one of the twins gets in foul trouble, then Walker gets more minutes.

Having said this, I think Cox is doing better with minutes distribution overall based on performance.

I don't have a major issue with this, since the twins are generally playing well.
Spot on, tough to critique the twins this season.

Yea maybe they dribble too much and turn it over more than we’d like, but the positives they’ve brought to the table far out weigh the negative.

I’d say they’ve exceeded expectations so far this season.
1 x
Go Rhody
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

My problem is that we don't have a big enough lead to start running the clock down with 5 1/2 minutes left in the game. Way too often we wind up wth an empty possession and a wild shot. We were playing fairly well and the slow down takes us totally out of any offensive set to get a good shot.Today a couple of long 3s went in and we were fortunate.

Also, having our 3 starting guards on the bench at the same time is inviting a run by the opponent. Someone needs to explain that move to me.
5 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

eli#10 wrote: 2 years ago My problem is that we don't have a big enough lead to start running the clock down with 5 1/2 minutes left in the game. Way too often we wind up wth an empty possession and a wild shot. We were playing fairly well and the slow down takes us totally out of any offensive set to get a good shot.Today a couple of long 3s went in and we were fortunate.

Also, having our 3 starting guards on the bench at the same time is inviting a run by the opponent. Someone needs to explain that move to me.
Maybe Jamie Dixon did it ?
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

You burn more clock, score and then that presses the losing team to force a bad shot.

If you don’t score and you’re up, you’ve burned clock and still have high potential for a forced shot. It’s his strategy, this season will tell us more often than not, how much it worked. Today, it worked.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Utah beats Tulsa 72-58

Brandon Carlson from Utah MVP

Jeremy Sheppard makes All Tournament Team
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Nice win but the rebounding continues to disappoint. This was very true in second half when the lead went from 15 to 3 in under 5 minutes, BC got 19 rebounds in second half to our 8 and for game had 13 second chance points to our 2. We won with great 3 point shooting.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Obadiah wrote: 2 years ago Nice win but the rebounding continues to disappoint. This was very true in second half when the lead went from 15 to 3 in under 5 minutes, BC got 19 rebounds in second half to our 8 and for game had 13 second chance points to our 2. We won with great 3 point shooting.
Yes, offensive rebounds were a big concern tonight.

Martin and Walker were extremely productive off the bench. Cox definitely has options and flexibility for starter minutes.

Not concerned about Ish as some here are, he will find his groove and his defense is always a plus.

My biggest concern is some of our bad fouls especially away from the ball and many times we get too careless.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

DC_Rams wrote: 2 years ago You burn more clock, score and then that presses the losing team to force a bad shot.

If you don’t score and you’re up, you’ve burned clock and still have high potential for a forced shot. It’s his strategy, this season will tell us more often than not, how much it worked. Today, it worked.
I’ve noticed he does this too with a lead down the stretch sometimes it works sometimes it doesn’t but I understand what he’s trying to do shorten the game and then with good foul shooters we should be able to close the game out if we play defense and don’t turn it over and make free throws

If I’m BC how do you not foul either twin in a 6 point game with a minute left to put them at the line in a 1-1 poor coaching by them
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Flo sports cancelled what an amateur hour service they are overpriced poor graphics , it doesn’t even show I am logged in I had to send them an email and then they cancelled it , good riddance and hope we don’t have any more games on there lol
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Seriously though, BC got a lot of long rebounds of bad shots they took.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

eli#10 wrote: 2 years ago My problem is that we don't have a big enough lead to start running the clock down with 5 1/2 minutes left in the game. Way too often we wind up wth an empty possession and a wild shot. We were playing fairly well and the slow down takes us totally out of any offensive set to get a good shot.Today a couple of long 3s went in and we were fortunate.

Help me, I don't recall when the three starting guards were sitting. When did this happen?
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

McRam wrote: 2 years ago

Help me, I don't recall when the three starting guards were sitting. When did this happen?
He had Thomas and Carey in while all three guards sat in both games.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

Obadiah wrote: 2 years ago Nice win but the rebounding continues to disappoint. This was very true in second half when the lead went from 15 to 3 in under 5 minutes, BC got 19 rebounds in second half to our 8 and for game had 13 second chance points to our 2. We won with great 3 point shooting.
Agree about the rebounding — but also it's really nice to be able to say for a change that we won with great 3 point shooting. I am hopeful that's going to give us a chance this year in games when we aren't rebounding, or when our bigs are in foul trouble, etc. The past few years that hasn't been an avenue for possible rescue when everything else is going wrong.
0 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

DC_Rams wrote: 2 years ago So let me get this straight…

We shot 51% from the field, 52% from 3, decrease in TOs to 13, had 10 steals and shot 16-19 FT, and we are still complaining after a win?!

We knew all the wins wouldn’t all be pretty, but isn’t winning all we care about?!

Help me understand.

We have to shoot well to win games, we did. Now we are saying, we can’t afford to shoot worse, or we will lose. This twisted logic is just mind boggling.

Haven't finished reading the game thread yet, but this statement right here is pure facts!! Did we have a few bad runs today yes we did. Should we have won yesterday prb, but that Tulsa team also beat Oregon st recently and it was a battle throughout. Do we have aspects of the game to improve upon for sure but this team plays far better as a unit then last year's this far. Basketball is a game of runs. Don't overreact when the other team goes on one!!
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

We can never play Carey, Thomas and Malik as our 3 guards ever. Like ever. It should never happen.

Better ball security from the twins.

Our bigs will draw attention and there should be open shots to be had. Guys are stepping in to them and shooting them confidently.

Malik has been the biggest surprise thus far, has given us a lot of quality minutes.

Thomas is break glass in case of emergency. He’ll get exposed against better teams. Still too green.

We need Ish to get his groove back. He’s pressing.

Twan is our biggest matchup nightmare and it doesn’t seem like we run 1 set to isolate him on the block. He moved out to 20 feet to find his shot. Wish we utilized him more offensively.

Hurley and Cooley both use the timeout after a made basket strategy. Not as rigidly but they both do it often if you watch their games. It’s not unique to Cox.

Don’t love taking the air out of the ball at 6-7 minute mark in a 3 possession game. That’s when you try to make it 12-15 and coast home.
6 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago

I don’t get playing Thomas with Carey at all. Thomas the pure point guard should be playing with scoring threats in the half court.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Agree we should at least have 1 of of both Ishs and Shep on the court at all times

I’m not as concerned about the rebounding as some especially when both twins are in , I am more concerned about turnovers from especially the Twins and Twan when they put it on the floor and keeping the Twins out of foul trouble
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

can we play BC every game ?
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

• Last Wednesday TJ Bickerstaff went off on URI with Game Highs of 15 rebounds and 22 points in 35 minutes. Last night Bickerstaff scored BC's 1st 4 points to go up 4-2 over URI. I thought "here we go again". Bickerstaff did not score another point the rest of the game ending with only 4 points and only 2 rebounds. He fouled out playing only 23 minutes. Coaching adjustments anyone? "URI players not physically or mentally tough" as one poster said after the Tulsa loss? URI shutting down Bickerstaff was a huge element to last nights victory. Credit to the Coaching staff and Players. URI's players were mentally and physically very tough tonight.
  • Senior James Karnik only scored 2 points, 1 rebound in 7 minutes off bench last Wednesday. Last night Karnik got the start and played well in 32 minutes with 15 points and a game high 13 rebounds
  • Mitchell twins were efficient. Combined 6-9 FG, 4-4 FT, 8 rebounds, both had 8 points and only 3 Turnovers combined. They did not dribble the ball as much, played controlled, efficient basketball. They are becoming intimidating factors inside for URI. In addition to blocked shots, they are forcing opponents to alter their shots and/or hesitating to take shots at all.
  • Sheppard, El-Amin and Martin all went 3-6 on 3FG plus Walker 2-2 for a combined 11-20. Good to see the 3P attempts spread across 4 players who were all effective. I can only remember 1 3P attempt that was a bit rushed due to the shot clock running down but that was due to the BC aggressive defense - not from URI error. All 3P attempts were a result of good, unselfish passing and finding a relatively open man. None of the 3P attempts were forced or off balance shots - all came within the flow of the offense
  • There was a short period of time when Martin, Carey and Thomas were in the game at the same time. Carey only played 4 total minutes in the game. He had a pass that he threw with his left hand that went straight to the opponent. He now has 6 TO's in 41 minutes of play. His minutes have steadily decreased 15,12,10,4.
  • Defense intensity has been strong all 5 games to date. Last night continued the strong defensive efforts. Leggett, El-Amin, Sheppard and Martin provided relentless, strong defensive pressure on the BC guards impacting 4 turnovers each for Zackery and Ashton-Langford. Defense is not as easy to find in the scorebook as offensive statistics are but watching off the ball it's clear how intense and tough these guys are playing. Leggett gives 100% every second on the floor, much like TJ Buchanan did throughout his career. He is relentless and playing with and against some players who are in their 4th, 5th or even 6th year of College Basketball.
  • Great to take two games from Boston College and to be 4-1 heading to Ft Myers
  • Jeremy Sheppard made the All Tournament Team. He played efficient, unselfish basketball. Strong defense, good shooting and led by example
3 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago
I don’t get playing Thomas with Carey at all. Thomas the pure point guard should be playing with scoring threats in the half court.
Is Thomas a pure point? Kind of like how backup catchers are often viewed as better "game managers" the lower their batting average dips, I think there can be an emphasis on calling a guard a point if they aren't scoring. While Thomas is giving URI minutes as essentially a true freshman, that's the only thing he's contributing right now - his ORTG is 77.4, his PER is 3.3, and he has 9 points in 49 minutes. His per-40 minutes stats are 3.3 rebounds, 1.6 assists and 0 steals. The sample size is obviously stupid small, but now that he's getting minutes, he needs to produce in them.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Before the season started, I said multiple times that I didn’t think Thomas was ready yet. He proved me wrong against the lower-level teams. Once he played athletes at the A10 level, he looked like he didn’t belong. That is completely fine as he is young and has plenty of time to grow. What I like about him are his work ethic and pass-first mentality. Every good team needs a pure point guard like a Dowtin. I think Thomas will be that eventually. Right now, he should only be playing in emergencies.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

He should be break glass in emergency for 3-4 minutes a game if needed. His shot needs major work. I don’t get how kids have all these trainers and 82 AAU coaches and have such flawed technique as they are trying to play D1 ball. Someone should have fixed it at 16. He almost shoots it with two hands. That never will end well.

I do agree tho when he is in if he is there to play D and be a game manager on O then you better put shooters around him. Move Shepp off the ball for couple minutes and have Thomas at 1. But inserting him with Carey and Martin is asking for trouble.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago He should be break glass in emergency for 3-4 minutes a game if needed. His shot needs major work. I don’t get how kids have all these trainers and 82 AAU coaches and have such flawed technique as they are trying to play D1 ball. Someone should have fixed it at 16. He almost shoots it with two hands. That never will end well.

I do agree tho when he is in if he is there to play D and be a game manager on O then you better put shooters around him. Move Shepp off the ball for couple minutes and have Thomas at 1. But inserting him with Carey and Martin is asking for trouble.
He reminds me of when Marquis Jones was a freshman.

It's the hair and he's only good for a few minutes or else things get messy.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago
rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago

Is Thomas a pure point? Kind of like how backup catchers are often viewed as better "game managers" the lower their batting average dips, I think there can be an emphasis on calling a guard a point if they aren't scoring. While Thomas is giving URI minutes as essentially a true freshman, that's the only thing he's contributing right now - his ORTG is 77.4, his PER is 3.3, and he has 9 points in 49 minutes. His per-40 minutes stats are 3.3 rebounds, 1.6 assists and 0 steals. The sample size is obviously stupid small, but now that he's getting minutes, he needs to produce in them.
When he comes in to give Shep a break,let him play with the Ish's instead of Carey. You might see better results.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

He only played 8 minutes yesterday so his leash is probably short and not more than 10 minutes a game if everyone is healthy and no foul trouble amongst the guards
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Both Thomas and Carey will play better with some starters around them. Putting them on floor together with Martin and no other guard will just lead to problems; then lost confidence, then less playing time. I think Carey as the third guard with two of Shep/Ish/Ish could work well.

Didn't watch the games this weekend but beating the same team twice in a week is difficult to do; and the team and coach should get credit for not letting down for that second BC game.
2 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Cannot agree any more with UCH. Send a text message to the coach.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Having the twins providing inside offense and the guards providing good 3 point shooting is a good offensive combination which makes both more effective. We may need our 3rd guard (Carey, Martin) hitting the glass to improve team rebounding. I'm more concerned with the twins' turnovers than their fouls inside. Containing Watson on the 4th will be challenging.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!