11/21 Boston College

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Re: 11/21 Boston College

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Good thing we're hitting these tough bombs.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

COX CANNOT COACH A D1 BASKETBALL TEAM YET. WTF is his strategy?
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

rhodyruckus wrote: 2 years ago We're playing four corners offense. Without a shot clock that would be justifiable. And giving up fast breaks the other way on top of that.
Seems like we always try to eat clock way too early.
3 x
Mobley was fouled.
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

rhodyruckus wrote: 2 years ago We're playing four corners offense. Without a shot clock that would be justifiable. And giving up fast breaks the other way on top of that.
With the 30 second shot clock it is not a strategy that I'd endorse for any team.
1 x
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodeIslandRams »

They seem timid, no attitude. Tentative. And again they start the stall too early.

The whole presentation of this game is really bad. The score is always behind, the woman whose Dad is a big shot sounds 15.

We'd better win.
2 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

We're really good at missing 3s at the end of an ineffective possession.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

It’s fine if they were good plays.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

Do your normal offense!! Dont wait til 10 secs on clock to do anything!
2 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

AND 1
0 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

RhodeIslandRams wrote: 2 years ago They seem timid, no attitude. Tentative. And again they start the stall too early.

The whole presentation of this game is really bad. The score is always behind, the woman whose Dad is a big shot sounds 15.

We'd better win.
Evidence of the timidity of this team tonight: Shooting over 50% FG and from 3-point range, and we only have 65 points with a minute to go.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

We'll take the W.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Floblo can't keep the score or shot clock on the screen. But at least you can always see "Chat with an Expert."
3 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I mean this game told me two things:

BC is going to go winless in the ACC. They are terrible.

We will be doing a lot of chuck and pray…winning the games we shoot 50% from three and losing the games we don’t.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Finally got aggressive on a possession and you can see the results, with Mitchell slamming it down.
2 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Holy shit did you see that Monster from BC shaking hands? He looked 8 feet tall.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Flosports cancelled.
6 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Need to grow some cajones. Play with more confidence. They can do it. Not sold on the coaching still at all. Beat the dead horse.
3 x
Mobley was fouled.
Native
ARD

Unread post by Native »

Final score

URI 71, BC 65
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Win and cover. Works for me.
5 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago I mean this game told me two things:

We will be doing a lot of chuck and pray…winning the games we shoot 50% from three and losing the games we don’t.
i suspect they win one along the way but doubt they win two.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I’m glad we bounced back and pulled out the win of course, but its hard to find too much to be encouraged about after that one. Lots to work on.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

DeanDome88 wrote: 2 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago I mean this game told me two things:

i suspect they win one along the way but doubt they win two.
The 'cuse lost Colgate, so....
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

That was just grade A ugly basketball.
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

We are 4-1 which is where I thought we'd be although thought we would have lost to the Utes.
2 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

What's up with Ish Leg? 3 points, 3 assists and 2 turnovers tonight; 4 points, 1 assist and 1 turnover last night.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

eli#10 wrote: 2 years ago COX CANNOT COACH A D1 BASKETBALL TEAM YET. WTF is his strategy?
Talk about an overreaction.

You may think he’s bad, but to say he can’t coach D1 basketball is embarrassing.
3 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago What's up with Ish Leg? 3 points, 3 assists and 2 turnovers tonight; 4 points, 1 assist and 1 turnover last night.
He’s not what everyone said he was.
0 x
Go Rhody
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

Good Win. Shot the ball extremely well and everyone played within themselves. Martin and Walker were very good tonight. Give the staff credit for going with this lineup. Ish L is struggling and pressing. Sheppard and Ish E are developing great chemistry and work extremely well together. Playing Martin with them against the stronger/bigger BC guards was the right call. Ish L should be rotated in and used as the point guard when Shep needs a break. Thomas is not ready against the likes of Tulsa/BC.

Poor job on the backboards. I think we only had two offense boards and I think we gave up about a dozen. Not sure I understand where all of you are coming from with the hostility directed toward Cox. This strategy the last 5 minutes with a lead is used by many coaches who trust there shot makers and match-ups. Dan used this and still uses it at UConn. Countless Coaches go with this. Time and score and shorten the game? Trust your kids to make plays and put your opponent in a spread setting and find the match-up you like. Many of you have already made up your minds I get it. There are many things I have scratched my head with the last few seasons but I think we are making progress.

The players on this team are playing for each other and playing for the staff. I hope this continues. Last night was not a good last 10 minutes! Tonight was better against a team we have know beaten twice. Congrats and let's get the next one.
5 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Didn’t splurge for Flo Sports.

Looking forward to playing on a regular broadcast again
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago Didn’t splurge for Flo Sports.

I’d rather pay $10 for a 12 oz piss warm Whalers in a makeshift cubicle pub than pay for FloSports.
0 x
Go Rhody
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

LIRAM wrote: 2 years ago Good Win. Shot the ball extremely well and everyone played within themselves. Martin and Walker were very good tonight. Give the staff credit for going with this lineup. Ish L is struggling and pressing. Sheppard and Ish E are developing great chemistry and work extremely well together. Playing Martin with them against the stronger/bigger BC guards was the right call. Ish L should be rotated in and used as the point guard when Shep needs a break. Thomas is not ready against the likes of Tulsa/BC.

Poor job on the backboards. I think we only had two offense boards and I think we gave up about a dozen. Not sure I understand where all of you are coming from with the hostility directed toward Cox. This strategy the last 5 minutes with a lead is used by many coaches who trust there shot makers and match-ups. Dan used this and still uses it at UConn. Countless Coaches go with this. Time and score and shorten the game? Trust your kids to make plays and put your opponent in a spread setting and find the match-up you like. Many of you have already made up your minds I get it. There are many things I have scratched my head with the last few seasons but I think we are making progress.

The players on this team are playing for each other and playing for the staff. I hope this continues. Last night was not a good last 10 minutes! Tonight was better against a team we have know beaten twice. Congrats and let's get the next one.
It’s obvious he trusts Shep and EA in those stall ball instances. It worked well. It’s used to either push the defense to foul, or allow your shooters to shoot. It is done by just about every school in the country. It’s ugly when it’s ineffective, I agree, tonight it worked.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago Didn’t splurge for Flo Sports.

I’d rather pay $10 for a 12 oz piss warm Whalers in a makeshift cubicle pub than pay for FloSports.
At least I didn't have to wear a mask!!!!!!
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago What's up with Ish Leg? 3 points, 3 assists and 2 turnovers tonight; 4 points, 1 assist and 1 turnover last night.
Kid has been stellar for us for at least 20-25 of his career college games. He has a few bad ones (he’s human) and we are writing him off? I truly don’t understand some peoples logic here.
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

LIRAM, yes it worked tonight against a lesser team, but we saw what happened trying to play "not to lose" against a better team last night.

I wouldn't rely on us shooting so well there at the end.

This strategy will cost us against better teams going forward.

Doesn't matter if other teams do it either. Some teams are better at it....us not so much.

Cox's time out strategy is just nuts, sorry. His inflexibility on the matter makes no sense. I would like to hear his reasons why he does it.

As for Leggett, I actually agree with DC on this...he'll be fine.
Last edited by rambone 78 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

…….nice job Stone……ears to Tuesday……
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

So let me get this straight…

We shot 51% from the field, 52% from 3, decrease in TOs to 13, had 10 steals and shot 16-19 FT, and we are still complaining after a win?!

We knew all the wins wouldn’t all be pretty, but isn’t winning all we care about?!

Help me understand.

We have to shoot well to win games, we did. Now we are saying, we can’t afford to shoot worse, or we will lose. This twisted logic is just mind boggling.
3 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Didn’t pay for Flo so didn’t see the game but…

Glass half full: URI shot 50% from behind the arc and 84% from the free throw line, progress!

Glass half empty: URI shot 50% from three and 84% from the line and only managed to beat a shitty BC squad by 6.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago LIRAM, yes it worked tonight against a lesser team, but we saw what happened trying to play "not to lose" against a better team last night.

I wouldn't rely on us shooting so well there at the end.

This strategy will cost us against better teams going forward.

Doesn't matter if other teams do it either. Some teams are better at it....us not so much.

Cox's time out strategy is just nuts, sorry. His inflexibility on the matter makes no sense. I would like to hear his reasons why he does it.

As for Leggett, I actually agree with DC on this...he'll be fine.
His TO strat was brought up during a game last season where the commentator mentioned it’s a strategy that Jamie Dixon employs (whom Cox used to work for). The belief is that after a run is made, seeing a shot go in will lift offensive confidence and stagger the opposing team from a quick score.

Can’t say whether it does or doesn’t work, because we don’t have an alternative to compare it to. But I’m almost certain that is where the strategy spawned.

I don’t understand it either, but I’m also not a D1 college basketball coach. Shrug
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Seems like Ish lost some confidence the last couple of games and Cox rightfully lowered his minutes to 18

I’m not too worried he just needs to keep putting the work in and he will get going we need him
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Dude, what is your problem with Ish? It feels like every time the kid has a bad game, you need to comment. Jermaine Harris is gone so you need someone new to pick on? I’m not sure what everyone thought but I said he’s a year away from being our top guy. I still think he's going to be an important piece this year. Regardless, to say “he’s not what everyone said he was” 5 games into his second season is ridiculous.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago
Dude, what is your problem with Ish? It feels like every time the kid has a bad game, you need to comment. Jermaine Harris is gone so you need someone new to pick on? I’m not sure what everyone thought but I said he’s a year away from being our top guy. I still think he's going to be an important piece this year. Regardless, to say “he’s not what everyone said he was” 5 games into his second season is ridiculous.
No problem at all with him, but people were anointing him as the next “it” player, which puts him on par with EC, Terrell, Hassan, Jimmy, etc etc and he just isn’t that.

Just want to temper expectations with the kid, as I think he won’t be the 1st or 2nd option going forward, which people were talking him up to be.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

DC_Rams wrote: 2 years ago
Kid has been stellar for us for at least 20-25 of his career college games. He has a few bad ones (he’s human) and we are writing him off? I truly don’t understand some peoples logic here.
Not writing him off at all. See above post.
0 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I didn't see the game, only seeing the box score. Looks like Antwan played well. 15 points, zero turnovers. Didn't miss a single shot. But if he was playing so well, why did he only get 17 minutes? He only had 1 foul, so it wasn't that. Is this the pre-planned rotation at work?
1 x
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

It's hard to win games. It's hard to close out games. Good teams are capable of doing it and some make it look easier than others.. Teams need to have a structured plan down the stretch. Many times it is a chess match and there are many moving parts. BC was pressing and trying to speed us up. We showed good composure and took what was given (think Mitchell's dunk in transition). Sheppard and Ish E closed it out. They hit shots and made FT's. Great Job!!

Last Night
Basketball is a game of runs and we had a great run to open the second half and take a lead (55-48?) We punched them in the mouth. If you thought those dudes from Tulsa were just going to run and hide you have no idea. They punched backed with about 10 minutes left and took the lead. The game went back and forth from there and they closed it out. We did not have a 7 point lead with 5 left? We were trailing and trading baskets. Last night was a very winnable game and we should of won. I saw it that those kids just had more dog in them and wanted it more. Our guys got punked. Cox was fiery and in the game. Did he push every button correctly? No!!! but that's when your kids need to step up and refuse to lose. Remember the kids have to want it more than anyone. Last night sucked but the guys responded tonight and that's all who can want as a Coach and Fan.

Looking forward to Tuesday. I continue to believe this group has potential and will have more good nights than bad.
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago I didn't see the game, only seeing the box score. Looks like Antwan played well. 15 points, zero turnovers. Didn't miss a single shot. But if he was playing so well, why did he only get 17 minutes? He only had 1 foul, so it wasn't that. Is this the pre-planned rotation at work?
He was getting scorched on defense.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

LIRAM wrote: 2 years ago It's hard to win games. It's hard to close out games. Good teams are capable of doing it and some make it look easier than others.. Teams need to have a structured plan down the stretch. Many times it is a chess match and there are many moving parts. BC was pressing and trying to speed us up. We showed good composure and took what was given (think Mitchell's dunk in transition). Sheppard and Ish E closed it out. They hit shots and made FT's. Great Job!!

Last Night
Basketball is a game of runs and we had a great run to open the second half and take a lead (55-48?) We punched them in the mouth. If you thought those dudes from Tulsa were just going to run and hide you have no idea. They punched backed with about 10 minutes left and took the lead. The game went back and forth from there and they closed it out. We did not have a 7 point lead with 5 left? We were trailing and trading baskets. Last night was a very winnable game and we should of won. I saw it that those kids just had more dog in them and wanted it more. Our guys got punked. Cox was fiery and in the game. Did he push every button correctly? No!!! but that's when your kids need to step up and refuse to lose. Remember the kids have to want it more than anyone. Last night sucked but the guys responded tonight and that's all who can want as a Coach and Fan.

Looking forward to Tuesday. I continue to believe this group has potential and will have more good nights than bad.
This degree of level-headedness here is extremely refreshing.

Cox is not perfect.

This team is not perfect.

What any team does in one game is NOT indicative of what they will do in the next.

Basketball is a lot like boxing in regards to styles make fights. It’s not much different in basketball these days.

Just win.

Nothing else fuckin matters.
Last edited by DC_Rams 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

LIRAM wrote: 2 years ago Good Win. Shot the ball extremely well and everyone played within themselves. Martin and Walker were very good tonight. Give the staff credit for going with this lineup. Ish L is struggling and pressing. Sheppard and Ish E are developing great chemistry and work extremely well together. Playing Martin with them against the stronger/bigger BC guards was the right call. Ish L should be rotated in and used as the point guard when Shep needs a break. Thomas is not ready against the likes of Tulsa/BC.

This is pretty spot on. Would love to see Walker get some more minutes when he’s on, but I thought Cox did a nice job with the rotation. As we get into conference play, I’m sure Cox is going to move to a shorter rotation which probably means that Thomas is the odd man out. But it’s good to get the kid some reps early on.
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago I didn't see the game, only seeing the box score. Looks like Antwan played well. 15 points, zero turnovers. Didn't miss a single shot. But if he was playing so well, why did he only get 17 minutes? He only had 1 foul, so it wasn't that. Is this the pre-planned rotation at work?
I didn’t see him getting scorched on defense. I thought he should have played more. He was bringing a ton of energy on both ends. Cox did a good job with the rotation besides Walker’s and Thomas’s minutes though
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

eli#10 wrote: 2 years ago COX CANNOT COACH A D1 BASKETBALL TEAM YET. WTF is his strategy?
Talk about an overreaction.

You may think he’s bad, but to say he can’t coach D1 basketball is embarrassing.
Isat in the third road tonight and watched Cox the entire time. He is definetely into the game and actually called the offense most times the court.

I thought he made a good decision in playing Martin in lieu of Legget down the stretch. Guessing it would make sense to start Martin instead of three 6.2" gurards.

However, just like last night, he started to slow it down at about 10 minutes and this strategy caused a close game.

If he doesn't stop this, he will discover that they will blow several games due to this strategy.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If the twins don't play, they won't stay.

At least that's my guess....they came here with the promise of major PT.

There's only 80 minutes to share between them and Walker.

I agree Antwan should have played more because he was playing well....at least 25 minutes or so.

If one of the twins gets in foul trouble, then Walker gets more minutes.

Having said this, I think Cox is doing better with minutes distribution overall based on performance.

I don't have a major issue with this, since the twins are generally playing well.
1 x