Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Martyf250
Marc Upshaw

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread post by Martyf250 »

gorhody89 wrote: 2 years ago anyone else think the song played during the intro video when the lights are shut off stinks?? Adds zero energy,actually think it sucks energy out of the building….I’m sure the team picks it and know it’s gonna be rap/R&B which is definitely fine but that song is just monotone mumbling
I have thought the same thing the past few years. The best one was 2016 or 2017 with the Rhihanna (Sp) All of my life song...
3 x
Matt Keebler
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Matt Keebler »

RI_Bred wrote: 2 years ago
RhodyFanNotAlum wrote: 2 years ago Made it to my first in-person game of the season tonight and I had the most incredible (Verizon) cell service from my seat. (Didn't even need to TRY the WiFi.) It was so good that I had to shut my phone off because I didn't want to be distracted by all of the texts and push alerts that were causing my phone to buzz. I guess I've become too accustomed to sitting in a black hole for two hours.
That's great. I was sitting in 205 and had practically no reception with my Verizon service. Maddening!
I sit in 104 and had zero Verizon service and wifi was useless.
2 x
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

RhodyFanNotAlum wrote: 2 years ago Made it to my first in-person game of the season tonight and I had the most incredible (Verizon) cell service from my seat. (Didn't even need to TRY the WiFi.) It was so good that I had to shut my phone off because I didn't want to be distracted by all of the texts and push alerts that were causing my phone to buzz. I guess I've become too accustomed to sitting in a black hole for two hours.
That's great. I was sitting in 205 and had practically no reception with my Verizon service. Maddening!
Ugh, that's frustrating. I can say that walking out to my car on the concourse and even approaching the parking lot, I had no service, but for the first time ever reception was crystal clear from my seat in 314.
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

pay for streaming RADIO coverage??

hahahahahahhahahahahahhaa FU
3 x
:lol:
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Matt Keebler wrote: 2 years ago
Yes the wifi was also useless for me. It allowed me to connect the "URI Open" wifi, but it didn't work well, if at all. Oh well.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Martyf250 wrote: 2 years ago
gorhody89 wrote: 2 years ago anyone else think the song played during the intro video when the lights are shut off stinks?? Adds zero energy,actually think it sucks energy out of the building….I’m sure the team picks it and know it’s gonna be rap/R&B which is definitely fine but that song is just monotone mumbling
I have thought the same thing the past few years. The best one was 2016 or 2017 with the Rhihanna (Sp) All of my life song...
Song is: **Kanye West "All of the Lights"
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Yes the wifi was also useless for me. It allowed me to connect the "URI Open" wifi, but it didn't work well, if at all. Oh well.
WiFi is completely useless in the RC. I had Verizon forever and just switched to TMobile a month ago. Still zip on the service and I've had zero issues with TMobile anywhere else I've been.

We don't think big at all do we? What a way to still have circa 2002 technology in the Ryan Center. Hey, at least you can wear a mask and eat oysters at your seat now.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

…….even with the lesser crowd, decent but no students, the JV belting out the Newport Propane Minute of Mayhem is some of his finest work, and my favorite time out event……..
4 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

4132 seems low attendance??
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I don’t think there were close to 4,132 there
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago I don’t think there were close to 4,132 there
It has nothing to do with the rules tho
1 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago I don’t think there were close to 4,132 there
It has nothing to do with the rules tho
I would say somewhat, but the main reasons are the day of the game and the lack of buzz with the team, especially after the loss to FGCU.
Thanksgiving weekend is a tough spot for a home game, unless you’re an elite team with a large following. The day before Thanksgiving game versus Manhattan in 2019 wasn’t well attended, and the Saturday after Thanksgiving game against Stonybrook in 2018 was just moderately attended.
Rhody is always going to need the students to pack the RC.
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I was there. Seemed about 4k.
0 x
GO RAMS
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago …….even with the lesser crowd, decent but no students, the JV belting out the Newport Propane Minute of Mayhem is some of his finest work, and my favorite time out event……..
It’s mine too! Almost blowing out my voice every game is 100% worth it. :lol:
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

From a historical perspective, home games played on Thanksgiving Weekend do not draw well. That does not hold true for games played between Christmas and New Year's and in both time periods, school is out.

FWIW, yesterday's UMass home game against Rutgers drew 1881 fans to Mullins.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Also, just gunna be honest. Regardless of the rules at Ryan center, being vaxxed and getting Covid is no big deal, BUT it is still a giant inconvenience to get tested and then trace who you’ve interacted with and then possibly have to miss work etc

So With so many family gatherings and the holidays, it’s risk mitigation for a lot of people. There’s a risk you get Covid at an indoor sporting event, same with gathering with family. If I have to choose where I spend my risk budget it’s going to be with family and not to watch URI play Georgia state.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

rhodysurf wrote: 2 years ago Also, just gunna be honest. Regardless of the rules at Ryan center, being vaxxed and getting Covid is no big deal, BUT it is still a giant inconvenience to get tested and then trace who you’ve interacted with and then possibly have to miss work etc

So With so many family gatherings and the holidays, it’s risk mitigation for a lot of people. There’s a risk you get Covid at an indoor sporting event, same with gathering with family. If I have to choose where I spend my risk budget it’s going to be with family and not to watch URI play Georgia state.
On the other hand, there's a risk that you give the virus to either people at the Ryan Center or to people in your family.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Obadiah wrote: 2 years ago From a historical perspective, home games played on Thanksgiving Weekend do not draw well. That does not hold true for games played between Christmas and New Year's and in both time periods, school is out.

That was not all that far off from a typical UMass-Amherst home game these days. They only drew 1,492 for their game with UMass-Lowell earlier in the week. UMass has played four home games thus far at the 9,343 seat Mullins Center and is only averaging 2,325. Their attendance has been pretty low for several seasons now. An era of little success has taken a toll. Last year, when fans were not allowed, was their only winning season in the past six years.

UMass-Amherst Average Men's Basketball Attendance
2019-20 2,717
2018-19 2,792
2017-18 2,994
2016-17 3,297
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Taylor Swift wrote: 2 years ago

WiFi is completely useless in the RC. I had Verizon forever and just switched to TMobile a month ago. Still zip on the service and I've had zero issues with TMobile anywhere else I've been.

We don't think big at all do we? What a way to still have circa 2002 technology in the Ryan Center. Hey, at least you can wear a mask and eat oysters at your seat now.
Maybe in 2052 we can get replays on our video boards
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago
Obadiah wrote: 2 years ago From a historical perspective, home games played on Thanksgiving Weekend do not draw well. That does not hold true for games played between Christmas and New Year's and in both time periods, school is out.

That was not all that far off from a typical UMass-Amherst home game these days. They only drew 1,492 for their game with UMass-Lowell earlier in the week. UMass has played four home games thus far at the 9,343 seat Mullins Center and is only averaging 2,325. Their attendance has been pretty low for several seasons now. An era of little success has taken a toll. Last year, when fans were not allowed, was their only winning season in the past six years.

UMass-Amherst Average Men's Basketball Attendance
2019-20 2,717
2018-19 2,792
2017-18 2,994
2016-17 3,297
Think about how dead the Ryan Center would be with 2325 in the building. Now if you do an equivalent crowd in the Ryan Center that would come out to 1875. Talk about dismal...
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago

That would be fantastic!
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Yay! Oh wait, I'll be dead. Yay anyway!
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/339 ... -this-asap

This would be fun for one game. I think Keaney can't be used any more which is too bad - but a student's only game would be great to engage the fans and I'm sure it would be electric.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Would it really work if we couldn't do it in Keaney? It seems like we don't get enough students for this to be a good atmosphere at the Ryan Center. I say we just put them back in the 100 level seats they're paying for with their student fees every game and increase the home court advantage that way
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago Would it really work if we couldn't do it in Keaney? It seems like we don't get enough students for this to be a good atmosphere at the Ryan Center. I say we just put them back in the 100 level seats they're paying for with their student fees every game and increase the home court advantage that way
Not that I disagree with you, but what about the Season Ticket Holders in 104/105? Would they have to go behind the baskets?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

…….As I look around section 105, there appears to be seats empty game to game, enough to house the season holders in 104? Maybe…….give 104, behind visitors bench, to the students, easy fix, no?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago Would it really work if we couldn't do it in Keaney? It seems like we don't get enough students for this to be a good atmosphere at the Ryan Center. I say we just put them back in the 100 level seats they're paying for with their student fees every game and increase the home court advantage that way
Not that I disagree with you, but what about the Season Ticket Holders in 104/105? Would they have to go behind the baskets?
There would unfortunately have to be a reseating process. That was the problem with moving the students in the first place, even as they were paying to sit in those seats. The whole agreement with students paying towards the Ryan Center was contingent on being placed in the low level seats the students first occupied on the Ryan Center's opening. If we weren't getting those seats we weren't voting for the increase in student fees
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

aren't student tickets free already??

the 200/300 seats are empty.

I'd say this is great idea if the kids already came. some do, certainly. but the LARGE majority of the student body does not.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago …….As I look around section 105, there appears to be seats empty game to game, enough to house the season holders in 104? Maybe…….give 104, behind visitors bench, to the students, easy fix, no?
Those seats go for $45 to $50 per game. They are sold out for most all games. People may not be physically in the seats but they are paid for.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 2 years ago aren't student tickets free already??

I'd say this is great idea if the kids already came. some do, certainly. but the LARGE majority of the student body does not.
Yes and no. Up to 1500 students can go to the Ryan Center per game and get in without paying anything at that time, however as of 2018 (latest information available) students are paying $392 per year each to pay off the bonds for the Ryan Center and Boss Arena:

https://rhodycigar.com/2017/03/02/build ... e-in-2018/

What's not mentioned in the article is the deal the students made when they voted yes to raise fees in the spring of 2002 (I thought it was voted on before that, but I'll defer to the article for this. Also I don't remember if this was a student referendum or a Senate vote). After being forced from behind the opposing bench during Tom Penders time here (Section 8) to behind one basket as of Keaney's closing, students only agreed to help pay off the bonds if we were promised the lower level behind each basket and one lower level sideline. I am crystal clear on this fact, as I was one of the leaders of the student section at the time (Rhowdy Rams. God the student section has gone through a ton of names.) and I met with Ron Petro (the AD at the time) in his office regarding the seating arrangements for students
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Yes and no. Up to 1500 students can go to the Ryan Center per game and get in without paying anything at that time, however as of 2018 (latest information available) students are paying $392 per year each to pay off the bonds for the Ryan Center and Boss Arena:

What's not mentioned in the article is the deal the students made when they voted yes to raise fees in the spring of 2002 (I thought it was voted on before that, but I'll defer to the article for this. Also I don't remember if this was a student referendum or a Senate vote). After being forced from behind the opposing bench during Tom Penders time here (Section 8) to behind one basket as of Keaney's closing, students only agreed to help pay off the bonds if we were promised the lower level behind each basket and one lower level sideline. I am crystal clear on this fact, as I was one of the leaders of the student section at the time (Rhowdy Rams. God the student section has gone through a ton of names.) and I met with Ron Petro (the AD at the time) in his office regarding the seating arrangements for students
my take away from the article is as you stated, 1500 tickets available for free, every game and more are given away for free if inventory allows.

capacity for the RC is in the 8000 neighborhood.

it's currently 'half full' ish by announced attendance but visually less. can we all agree on that?

so that means there's roughly 2000 tickets available, for free to students. who don't show up.

and we want barstool to come do a game for students only? PASS.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 2 years ago

my take away from the article is as you stated, 1500 tickets available for free, every game and more are given away for free if inventory allows.

it's currently 'half full' ish by announced attendance but visually less. can we all agree on that?

so that means there's roughly 2000 tickets available, for free to students. who don't show up.

Be more clueless.

Barstool blogged about it, Barstool was in no way shape or form involved with putting on a game for students.
1 x
Go Rhody
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

Be more clueless.

Barstool blogged about it, Barstool was in no way shape or form involved with putting on a game for students.
thanks, Dick Tracy. Sorry to offend.... but the content is still missed on you though. I'll slow it down for you. cool concept. just not here. the kids don't show up like they should/could.

carry on.
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
section(105) wrote: 2 years ago …….As I look around section 105, there appears to be seats empty game to game, enough to house the season holders in 104? Maybe…….give 104, behind visitors bench, to the students, easy fix, no?
Those seats go for $45 to $50 per game. They are sold out for most all games. People may not be physically in the seats but they are paid for.
Section 105 tickets come up as sold out but I believe those seats are for friends/family of the team and staff. Many of these tickets do go unused throughout the course of the season.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Be more clueless.

thanks, Dick Tracy. Sorry to offend.... but the content is still missed on you though. I'll slow it down for you. cool concept. just not here. the kids don't show up like they should/could.

carry on.
Student attendance is usually pretty solid relative to the overall attendance.

If you designed a unique event like Texas did - with food trucks and pre-game entertainers, marketed the entire thing as one big event (similar to the marketing with the pink out on campus) then yes, you would easily fill Keaney gym. If you can get 1500-2000 students night in/out, you could pull 2500-3000 kids easy.

In fact, one of the most fun games at URI was when the blizzard made travel to campus impossible for the PinkOut against Richmond. There were basically zero adults at the game, and probably 3500 students who were all trapped on campus with nothing else to do.

The Ryan Center was half empty but it was as loud as it had ever been.

You make it an event, the kids will show.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago

Be more clueless.

carry on.

If you designed a unique event like Texas did - with food trucks and pre-game entertainers, marketed the entire thing as one big event (similar to the marketing with the pink out on campus) then yes, you would easily fill Keaney gym. If you can get 1500-2000 students night in/out, you could pull 2500-3000 kids easy.

In fact, one of the most fun games at URI was when the blizzard made travel to campus impossible for the PinkOut against Richmond. There were basically zero adults at the game, and probably 3500 students who were all trapped on campus with nothing else to do.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! Yes, sir!! now we're getting it.

win or lose, make basketball an event. pack the house. get rowdy! be the ruckus! make visiting teams get the 'Kingston flu'.

the student turn out is OK at best, most definitely room for improvement based on the #s provided above. I honestly always find the student turn out disappointing for the most part knowing very well what the potential is.

but nope. just the local swamp yankees.

South County isn't exactly bursting at the seams for stuff for college kids to do other than get fucked up and study once in a while.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago

Be more clueless.

carry on.

I remember a Madness night where the students were given burgers outside of the RC. Tons of kids showed up. Whats' that famous line from the baseball movie?" If you feed them, they will come". :lol:
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Rhodyram wrote: 2 years ago
Section 105 tickets come up as sold out but I believe those seats are for friends/family of the team and staff. Many of these tickets do go unused throughout the course of the season.
…….yes, it certainly appears to me, while in 105, this is the case……..yes, there are a few other season ticket holders around me, but most are empty or filled via the will call distribution.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Not for nothing, but I'll interrupt my pre-gaming for Sacred Heart to point this out:
(and I know a lot of you will disagree because, well, beer...but)

My buddy that went with me to the dump on Saturday was very complimentary of their atmosphere.

I kinda thought it felt like a house party from down the line.

Music thumping (not necessarily a bad thing), and lots and lots and lots of beer being chugged by (underage?) kids.

And the drinking kept being displayed on the video board, as if that was the whole point of the timeout games.

Is that really what the Practically College administration want to show the world?

I mean, I'm not going to pretend that the Rhody kids are pure as snow, but I'm glad we don't do that stuff at the RC.

Thoughts?
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rhodyrudder wrote: 2 years ago Not for nothing, but I'll interrupt my pre-gaming for Sacred Heart to point this out:

My buddy that went with me to the dump on Saturday was very complimentary of their atmosphere.

Music thumping (not necessarily a bad thing), and lots and lots and lots of beer being chugged by (underage?) kids.

And the drinking kept being displayed on the video board, as if that was the whole point of the timeout games.

Is that really what the Practically College administration want to show the world?

I mean, I'm not going to pretend that the Rhody kids are pure as snow, but I'm glad we don't do that stuff at the RC.

Thoughts?
I'm sure the URI kids hide it much better, most likely in nip form.
4 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rhodyrudder wrote: 2 years ago Not for nothing, but I'll interrupt my pre-gaming for Sacred Heart to point this out:

Thoughts?

Ah yes, let's get all insulted and offended by drinking at a college basketball game...

Jesus Christ people, we just had a whole year plus of staying inside, not being able to socialize and go to sporting events, etc etc.

You really gonna get all up in arms with music and drinking at a basketball game?? A game in which is a rivalry?

If/when The Ryan Center allows beers in seats, you going to whine and boycott games?

Feel like we're in the twilight zone sometimes on this board.
2 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Thoughts?
Rudder,
  • The atmosphere was electric for sure. I've been to every game at the Dunk for as far back as I can remember and Saturday was as crazy as I've ever seen it. I'm upping the point advantage that normally goes with Home Court of 3 points to probably 6-8 points. It was crazy, loud, enthusiastic, and did I say loud? and you would not know there was Covid in Rhode Island. No masks to speak of, long lines for everything, very crowded hall way.
  • The Speaker System was great. They must have made some improvements as it was notably improved from years past. Great music selections pregame too.
  • At 12:30 there were big lines to get in, mostly students. No masks, closely packed in front of the metal detectors. When let in the lines moves fast as workers let people go through fast holding electronics above head. Students raced for the seats on both ends of the court to get the best seats. Filled up one end well before the rest of the Dunk Seats got filled by fans trickling in from the local Bars and Restaurants which were pretty well filled hours before game time. Good crown also at the URI Alumni Malted Barley Event which started at 12pm but left for the Dunk after 25 minutes.
  • Not just beer drinking but tall boy beer drinking. Seemed like everyone was drinking beer non-stop
  • Mens rooms had lines at halftime that were 20 minutes or more long. Huge lines. I could not go or I would miss the 2nd half start. I went 10 minutes into the 2nd half and the lines were still 10 minutes long.
  • At halftime as I tried to find a mens room some punky kid said "Fuck You" to me out of nowhere. I was even covering up my URI shirt with my jacket all game because Providence is not what it used to be anymore. A Minute later another kid said "Fuck You" to me. I did nothing to attack attention or solicit a comment like that - just a punky kids drinking too much and looking for confrontation. No thanks. I thought how I'd never expect to see that behavior in the Ryan Center
  • The Mans Rooms I am sure were not designed for all that beer drinking before games in restaurants and Tall Boy Beer drinking in the arena. I'm sure the 2pm start encouraged Beer Drinking and fact the game has not taken place at the Dunk for 3 long years.
  • The Dunk corridor that circles the building is too small for 13,000 fans all looking to buy Beer and then release the Borrowed Beer in the restrooms. Lines blocking people from moving.
  • People had a great time. Tons of beer was consumed. Electric atmosphere. Very tough place for an opponent to play in on that particular Saturday.
  • The PC Fans I sat around were loud, critical of URI players especially the Mitchell's since they supposedly spurned PC for URI. The beer was making the crowd even louder than normal and increased as the game went on.
  • Funniest thing of the game for me was with 15 minutes left, 2nd half we were down 30-44. Makhi missed his 1st of 2 Its. He hit the 2nd but as he ran back up the court he put his right index finger to his mouth like to either shush or silence the PC crowd or like he was blowing smoke from his 6-shooter but I said to the PC guys beside me "Did he really just do that?" And PC guy said yeah, and he did it even after he missed the 1st FT. So true. I don't think many people in the arena say Makhi do it because if they had they would have been all over his case. I think they were too. into their Beer drinking to notice. Just not something you should do in a crazy visitor arena like that and especially down 14 points :roll: But kids are kids and I certainly did far worse in my younger years. I'm sure David Cox and Coaches will review that with Makhi and team - in a good natured way too. It really was funny.
  • Traffic after the game was abominable on a Christmas Season Saturday night in Providence. We went over to the Mall later to kill some time til traffic died down (which it never did) and saw 8 yellow coat security running in the mall to chase down some guy that then police handcuffed and removed. Good times.
  • But congrats to PC on the energetic crown and the win
  • URI fans were not seem to be in big attendance as in past years and fairly quiet (again it was 3 years ago the last Dunk game) As I said, I would not consider it a very wise or safe more to flaunt my URI loyalty in that environment. Overall PC Fans were nice, knowledgeable and friendly - but they love their Friars and hate URI - I can understand that
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

"release borrowed beer" - this is great and I will use this continuously!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

I can see who likes their White Claws.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Thoughts?

Ah yes, let's get all insulted and offended by drinking at a college basketball game...

Jesus Christ people, we just had a whole year plus of staying inside, not being able to socialize and go to sporting events, etc etc.

You really gonna get all up in arms with music and drinking at a basketball game?? A game in which is a rivalry?

If/when The Ryan Center allows beers in seats, you going to whine and boycott games?

Feel like we're in the twilight zone sometimes on this board.
My only complaint was the music - not the genre played, but the volume. I struggled talking to the people next to me during official/tv timeouts. But having beers while I sat and watched a game and made friends with the people next to me was amazing. I also enjoyed the one PC lacrosse player (the lacrosse team was who dressed as Steve Jobs) who took two tall boys and did a Stone Cold beer can smash and then chug after PC started 9-0. I would have done the same thing if I were still in school and they allowed beers in the seats.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I also liked the halftime show. They advised to stay in your seats for it. Good video and Christmas music. All seats had a wrist band in them and the light show was coordinated with the music and video board. Red, green and white lights in the wristbands that changed in the seating sections with the music.

Wouldn’t work in Ryan Center as we had challenges with this 3 years ago with Wi-Fi issues.
2 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Thoughts?
Let's not lie to ourselves....if beer were to be allowed at seats at the RC, the behavior would be the same if not worse.
2 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

I would love to have a beer at my seat in the Ryan Center.

It was so much easier back in the day to sneak into Keaney a nice 50/50 mixed rum and Coke in a Coke bottle. Actually it was probably Pepsi due to the contract.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Thoughts?
Rudder,
  • The atmosphere was electric for sure. I've been to every game at the Dunk for as far back as I can remember and Saturday was as crazy as I've ever seen it. I'm upping the point advantage that normally goes with Home Court of 3 points to probably 6-8 points. It was crazy, loud, enthusiastic, and did I say loud? and you would not know there was Covid in Rhode Island. No masks to speak of, long lines for everything, very crowded hall way.
  • The Speaker System was great. They must have made some improvements as it was notably improved from years past. Great music selections pregame too.
  • At 12:30 there were big lines to get in, mostly students. No masks, closely packed in front of the metal detectors. When let in the lines moves fast as workers let people go through fast holding electronics above head. Students raced for the seats on both ends of the court to get the best seats. Filled up one end well before the rest of the Dunk Seats got filled by fans trickling in from the local Bars and Restaurants which were pretty well filled hours before game time. Good crown also at the URI Alumni Malted Barley Event which started at 12pm but left for the Dunk after 25 minutes.
  • Not just beer drinking but tall boy beer drinking. Seemed like everyone was drinking beer non-stop
  • Mens rooms had lines at halftime that were 20 minutes or more long. Huge lines. I could not go or I would miss the 2nd half start. I went 10 minutes into the 2nd half and the lines were still 10 minutes long.
  • At halftime as I tried to find a mens room some punky kid said "Fuck You" to me out of nowhere. I was even covering up my URI shirt with my jacket all game because Providence is not what it used to be anymore. A Minute later another kid said "Fuck You" to me. I did nothing to attack attention or solicit a comment like that - just a punky kids drinking too much and looking for confrontation. No thanks. I thought how I'd never expect to see that behavior in the Ryan Center
  • The Mans Rooms I am sure were not designed for all that beer drinking before games in restaurants and Tall Boy Beer drinking in the arena. I'm sure the 2pm start encouraged Beer Drinking and fact the game has not taken place at the Dunk for 3 long years.
  • The Dunk corridor that circles the building is too small for 13,000 fans all looking to buy Beer and then release the Borrowed Beer in the restrooms. Lines blocking people from moving.
  • People had a great time. Tons of beer was consumed. Electric atmosphere. Very tough place for an opponent to play in on that particular Saturday.
  • The PC Fans I sat around were loud, critical of URI players especially the Mitchell's since they supposedly spurned PC for URI. The beer was making the crowd even louder than normal and increased as the game went on.
  • Funniest thing of the game for me was with 15 minutes left, 2nd half we were down 30-44. Makhi missed his 1st of 2 Its. He hit the 2nd but as he ran back up the court he put his right index finger to his mouth like to either shush or silence the PC crowd or like he was blowing smoke from his 6-shooter but I said to the PC guys beside me "Did he really just do that?" And PC guy said yeah, and he did it even after he missed the 1st FT. So true. I don't think many people in the arena say Makhi do it because if they had they would have been all over his case. I think they were too. into their Beer drinking to notice. Just not something you should do in a crazy visitor arena like that and especially down 14 points :roll: But kids are kids and I certainly did far worse in my younger years. I'm sure David Cox and Coaches will review that with Makhi and team - in a good natured way too. It really was funny.
  • Traffic after the game was abominable on a Christmas Season Saturday night in Providence. We went over to the Mall later to kill some time til traffic died down (which it never did) and saw 8 yellow coat security running in the mall to chase down some guy that then police handcuffed and removed. Good times.
  • But congrats to PC on the energetic crown and the win
  • URI fans were not seem to be in big attendance as in past years and fairly quiet (again it was 3 years ago the last Dunk game) As I said, I would not consider it a very wise or safe more to flaunt my URI loyalty in that environment. Overall PC Fans were nice, knowledgeable and friendly - but they love their Friars and hate URI - I can understand that
Don't forget the replays and their WiFi.

I've gone to plenty of non-URI games at the dunk and I say it every time. If their gameday experience and execution - beers, replays, wifi, atmosphere - and just a lack of this pearl clutching, someone call security because fans are too rowdy BS that we tend to have in our fanbase - and you put that inside the Ryan Center?

It would be a top 10 college basketball gameday experience in the country.

The only thing that sucks about the dunk is the venue itself. Bad seats up top, and a lot of seats that aren't even in front of the court. It's like watching a game at Fenway where your seat is probably facing away from the action. The Ryan Center is one of the best venues in college basketball, just lacking everything else that would make it fun to go to a game there - even if your team sucks like we do now.

But we have people who come on our message board and complain about drinking, like all of us weren't in Eddy suites pregaming for 2 hours and bringing 2 walking shotgun beers before getting into the Ryan Center.

Give me the drunk rowdy atmosphere that's a 6-8 point homecourt advantage over the "ideal" south county basketball experience as seen through the eyes of somebody's grandmother.
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

…….don’t forget their band……
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938