11/17 | Boston College | 6:00PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Re: 11/17 | Boston College | 6:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by Blue Man »

Like that it looks like our identity will be tough defense around the rim. Mitchell’s look great together.

Tough to get a gauge based on the competition so far, but this team feels more cohesive without Fatts/Harris and adding in El Amin/Thomas/Mitchell.

Still some tough early clock fouls on defense, I’ll advised threes on offense, but it just seemed more “together” as a unit.

Can’t be mad at 3-0. The schedule is what it is now, all we can do is win the games.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

We’re averaging 12 blocks per game through the first three games. Not too shabby!
2 x
KMar970
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KMar970 »

RIFan wrote: 2 years ago
KMar970 wrote: 2 years ago I gotta pay to listen to Steve n don post game on TuneIn? Seriously?
Such BS
Like I’m actually pissed i miss those guys lol
4 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Give that recruiter of the Mitchell twins a raise!

EA was a great addition. He wouldn't be here if Fatts stayed.

This team wins with defense, not offense. TOs after baskets to setup defense may make sense.

We have lots of fouls to give at every position. We have depth.

The team needs to clean up some rough edges. We can win games many ways.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago Like that it looks like our identity will be tough defense around the rim. Mitchell’s look great together.

Tough to get a gauge based on the competition so far, but this team feels more cohesive without Fatts/Harris and adding in El Amin/Thomas/Mitchell.

Still some tough early clock fouls on defense, I’ll advised threes on offense, but it just seemed more “together” as a unit.

Can’t be mad at 3-0. The schedule is what it is now, all we can do is win the games.
This is the big problem. Our schedule is so weak, it's tough to tell how good the team is.
2 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

This team is much more cohesive on offense and defense, for whatever reason. Doesn't matter why; it's good to see. We weren't pretty down the stretch but a nice win nevertheless.
2 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago Like that it looks like our identity will be tough defense around the rim. Mitchell’s look great together.

This is the big problem. Our schedule is so weak, it's tough to tell how good the team is.
I don’t know, it’s weak but I think we can clearly say that we can beat top 100 to 150 teams at home fairly easily. Tells me we are at least what I thought we would be which is a top 75ish team. Nothing I have seen YET tells me that they are a top 25 level team.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago Good win, but...out-boarded by 42-29?
I think 1/4 of those were on one possession it felt like-BC miss, BC rebound, BC miss, BC rebound, etc

Good win. You can only beat who you play. Very good defensively. Not so good offensively-especially in the second half. Have to keep getting better.
4 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago
theblueram wrote: 2 years ago

I don’t know, it’s weak but I think we can clearly say that we can beat top 100 to 150 teams at home fairly easily. Tells me we are at least what I thought we would be which is a top 75ish team. Nothing I have seen YET tells me that they are a top 25 level team.
Don't hold your breath. There is not 1 team on the schedule to get us to top 25.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Mason just beat UMD. The A10 isn’t weak, by any means.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

DC_Rams wrote: 2 years ago Mason just beat UMD. The A10 isn’t weak, by any means.
Maybe not, but what about MD?
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Mason gonna be a juicy game now.
0 x
GO RAMS
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago This might derail the thread but it’s worth saying - but through three games was it literally that Cox sold his soul to let Fatts do whatever he wanted and that screwed everything up?
I am warming up to this take with each passing day.
8 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago Defense. Defense is winning this game.
It sure did but expect the offense will eventually come around.
1 x
Dowtinsavestheworld
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Dowtinsavestheworld »

Just thank god the Mirchells choose us. Got them next year too!!!
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Gotta give Malik Martin a lot of credit for his defense against D. Langford. Their leading scorer was held to 2 points and Malik was on him for 23 of the 39 minutes that Langford played.
8 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Ugly game, but a wine nonetheless.

The less the twins dribble, the better. Both are the real deal though, especially on defense.

Onto Daytona, need to win at least 1 down there.
1 x
Go Rhody
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

DEEEEEFFFFENNNSE... won that rock fight. It wasn't pretty but it's a win against an ACC team. Always a good thing. Would like to see us push the ball a little more. Apply the pressure on both ends of the court.. Going to have to rebound better to do that. Love the defensive intensity.. Doesn't hurt to have makhel erasing or altering multiple shots. That kind of interior defense will cover any mistakes by guards and will force teams to beat us from perimeter. Seems like a good recipe to continue to follow..
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

-Our formula for winning will be stingy defense and dominating inside

-With true rim protectors our guards can overplay them outside, people can stay home and help less and allows all the perimeter defenders some extra insurance to play aggressively. I think we lead the country in blocked shots

-I just need Cox to install a 1 dribble rule for Makhi, Makhel, Malik and Twan…literally nothing good happens off their 2nd dribble. Eliminate that and we would eliminate 5-6 TOs a game. It’s not our guards who are losing the ball - Ish2, Shepp and Thomas had 2 TOs total. Mitchells and Malik had 9.

-This team is infinitely more enjoyable to watch than last years. The ball is never sticky tonight we had 16 assists on 19 baskets. That’s tremendous.

-Carey was having one of his best games as a Ram until…but Cox did the right thing and had a short leash. Carey can help us as a spark plug off the bench if he picks his spots when to use his athleticism and slash to the hoop and eliminates the seemingly every game occurrence of 2-3 bonehead plays.
2 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago This might derail the thread but it’s worth saying - but through three games was it literally that Cox sold his soul to let Fatts do whatever he wanted and that screwed everything up?

Yes yes yes & yes!!!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago Gotta give Malik Martin a lot of credit for his defense against D. Langford. Their leading scorer was held to 2 points and Malik was on him for 23 of the 39 minutes that Langford played.
The Langford’s played 38 and 39 minutes going s combined 1-14 FG for only 7 points between them.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Nice win for sure led for basically the whole game

Agree the Twins shouldn’t put the ball on the floor leads to way too many turnovers

It’s really great watching us play defense this year you can just see the improvement on that end of the floor and it helps with the Mitchell’s erasing everything, just try to stay out of foul trouble

BC not gonna win too many games in the ACC , are they missing anyone decent ??
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 2 years ago Nice win for sure led for basically the whole game

Agree the Twins shouldn’t put the ball on the floor leads to way too many turnovers

It’s really great watching us play defense this year you can just see the improvement on that end of the floor and it helps with the Mitchell’s erasing everything, just try to stay out of foul trouble

John Bagley and Dana Barros. :lol:
4 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Ishmael El-Amin our top scorer tonight and continues to be a model for efficiency

Over 3 games with URI now 3-0:
  • El-Amin is now 11-11 FT’s and all 11 have touched nothing but net. Not 1 shot has even glanced a rim
  • 8-14 FG for 58%
  • 3-6 3P for 50%
  • 4 Assists and only 1 Turnover in 3 games / 72 minutes
  • While playing terrific defense, no complaining to referees and displaying unselfishness and team leadership
7 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Yes EA awesome addition. Pretty awesome roster so far. The defense is incredible through 3. Build on it!!
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Ishmael El-Amin our top scorer tonight and continues to be a model for efficiency

• El-Amin is now 11-11 FT’s and all 11 have touched nothing but net. Not 1 shot has even glanced a rim
  • 8-14 FG for 58%
  • 3-6 3P for 50%
  • While playing terrific defense, no complaining to referees and displaying unselfishness and team leadership
He has been a huge impact player. Stats don’t even matter his presence and leadership have clearly worn off on the team. He does all the little things. And to top it off he seems to like to take and make big shots.
3 x
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

This looks like a very different team.
I had this same thought during the game. I'm glad he's doing well at Maryland, but mostly I'm just glad he's at Maryland right now.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago Ishmael El-Amin our top scorer tonight and continues to be a model for efficiency

• 8-14 FG for 58%
  • 3-6 3P for 50%
He has been a huge impact player. Stats don’t even matter his presence and leadership have clearly worn off on the team. He does all the little things. And to top it off he seems to like to take and make big shots.
That high arching 3 from the corner tonight was amazing
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyFanNotAlum wrote: 2 years ago

I had this same thought during the game. I'm glad he's doing well at Maryland, but mostly I'm just glad he's at Maryland right now.
I agree with you Blueman, however, why not look forward? Consider Cox might have been able to talk Russell into staying? Or consider Cox went out and recruited Grad Transfer Ishmael El-Amin who has brought a much needed leadership, confidence, experience and unselfishness to this years teams

Also consider most all posters here indicated that playing both Mitchell’s together would not work, yet here David Cox is playing both together and they are improving with each game.

Have to give credit to David Cox and staff for what has transpired so far. Onward and upward!!
4 x
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
RhodyFanNotAlum wrote: 2 years ago

I agree with you Blueman, however, why not look forward? Consider Cox might have been able to talk Russell into staying? Or consider Cox went out and recruited Grad Transfer Ishmael El-Amin who has brought a much needed leadership, confidence, experience and unselfishness to this years teams

Also consider most all posters here indicated that playing both Mitchell’s together would not work, yet here David Cox is playing both together and they are improving with each game.

Have to give credit to David Cox and staff for what has transpired so far. Onward and upward!!
I think we can give Cox credit for all of that, which he deserves. But it's still only through three games vs. three years of letting Fatts call the shots.

Really excited for the potential this season holds and to possibly have to admit I was wrong about this coach.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Only got to see the majority of the first half before I had to work but I was really loving what I was seeing!

We were clearly more talented than they were and they weren't poorly coached.

Its always good to be clearly more talented than a P5 team even if its BC....

I think you could say we looked kinda like a middle of the pack ACC team and that bodes well against the A-10.

You gotta be encouraged by the defense. That is some straight up Dan Hurley #RhodeBlock D that we have been missing! Just need to be able to get it together on offense. It's not even that bad offensively (only saw first half of course) but you have to think if we can maintain that level of defense throughout the year our offense will start coming along....

Next up Tulsa! Gonna be a tough one!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

• 8-14 FG for 58%
  • 3-6 3P for 50%
What a great addition he has been well put Ramster !!
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago
Based on the thumbs up for this post, I must not be waving my hands correctly when I've said as much for over a year.
2 x
NCAAs or Bust!
RIrugger01
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RIrugger01 »

Someone’s been doing some coaching! Anyone notice that our guards are closing out on 3 point shooters with hands up and not falling for shot fakes? Last year it seemed like they would jump right past the shooter on every fake. I like it
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

………coach Al Skinner…….?
3 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

Joining the post game party late...some great D and good team play. Obviously, an ugly 2nd half but that W was critical and we got it done. 3-0!
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I hope folks don’t believe Tulsa is a cupcake. Another hard nosed, chip on their shoulder squad. It will be another battle.
1 x
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

Very nice win and super balance. Everyone playing within themselves and buying in. Team seems to finding an identity. Our three starting guards are all sound with the ball and defend well. Twins together on the court are working well. I thought they would be able to do this. Martin, Walker, Carey and Thomas give us a plus bench. We have grown ass men out there! Coach and staff are pushing the right buttons.

I like this group and think they give us a chance to win every night. If they continue to buy in and execute each game plan we will win most nights. We are taking high percentage shots and taking what the defense is giving us. The twins are super and give a chance to get back to the Tourney. If they can cut down on there turnovers/fouls and start making free throws- LOOK OUT!

This is also a very likeable group and a group of young men that are currently representing this University extremely well!

RHODY! RHODY! RHODY!
4 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 2 years ago Joining the post game party late...some great D and good team play. Obviously, an ugly 2nd half but that W was critical and we got it done. 3-0!
Same here and agree with pretty much all post-game takes. Sure was nice to attend a game in person again.

BC is going to have a tough year in conference, wow. I felt like I was watching a 6th grade travel team point guard - guy went to his right every single time! The kids that played at halftime brought the ball up better.

Get that offense smoothed out and we have a team. Too bad the schedule seems extra-weak this year. Hope for a long win streak. Go Rhody!
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

FWIW, RealTime RPI had us at 201 with a loss on 11-12 to Utah State. Hopefully, they will correct it soon. With BC at 115 and Utah State at 52 (including the “win” over Rhody), I gotta believe we could be in the top 100. Yes, I know it’s early.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago

John Bagley and Dana Barros. :lol:
Troy Bell, Danya Abrams, and Jared Dudley too. Jay Murphy off the bench.
3 x
Native
ARD

Unread post by Native »

1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

KevanBoyles wrote: 2 years ago FWIW, RealTime RPI had us at 201 with a loss on 11-12 to Utah State. Hopefully, they will correct it soon. With BC at 115 and Utah State at 52 (including the “win” over Rhody), I gotta believe we could be in the top 100. Yes, I know it’s early.
Game is against Utah #39, not Utah State #52
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

KevanBoyles wrote: 2 years ago FWIW, RealTime RPI had us at 201 with a loss on 11-12 to Utah State. Hopefully, they will correct it soon. With BC at 115 and Utah State at 52 (including the “win” over Rhody), I gotta believe we could be in the top 100. Yes, I know it’s early.
Game is against Utah #39, not Utah State #52

I agree but they are showing a loss to Utah State in Kingston by Rhody. Should make a significant difference.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

This is the most they've looked like a team that likes each other in a while.
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

• 8-14 FG for 58%
  • 3-6 3P for 50%
My seat is directly even to where the backboard is. That 3 pointer he made from the corner was amazing. When it came out of his hand,it was actually slightly behind the backboard. I said...." NOOOOOO.............YES!!!!!!!!!!"
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

• 8-14 FG for 58%
  • 3-6 3P for 50%
My seat is directly even to where the backboard is. That 3 pointer he made from the corner was amazing. When it came out of his hand,it was actually slightly behind the backboard. I said...." NOOOOOO.............YES!!!!!!!!!!"
It had a ton of arc on it, right? Did it actually go slightly over the backboard? It was an important, clutch shot at the time as well.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

• 8-14 FG for 58%
  • 3-6 3P for 50%
It had a ton of arc on it, right? Did it actually go slightly over the backboard? It was an important, clutch shot at the time as well.
Yes, high arc on it. Larry Bird used to make that shot all of the time, but he's Larry Bird.......tough shot.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Loved when EA talked to Thomas after a bad shot. We haven't that kind of leadership for a couple of years. Good move making him a captain. Also love that Bozeman works with players and advises Cox during games. Cox has not had a good right hand man til now.
6 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I like the wins so far, but as a reminder, we were 4-1 two years ago - with the loss to a ranked Maryland team - to open the season. Obviously, I'd rather be undefeated in the OOC vs. a bunch of losses, but even if we weren't, I'm more concerned with how we'll do during A-10 play. I don't know if we'll be tested to make adjustments until that point of the season.

One other note - Last night was like the "perfect" Jalen Carey game, haha. In 12 minutes, he had 10 points on perfect shooting. He also managed to have three turnovers. A wild, rollercoaster ride of a player.
4 x