Week #2 - Games of Interest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Week #2 - Games of Interest

Unread post by Obadiah »

On the basis of two opening season wins, St. Bonaventure, retains its top 25 ranking in both polls - #22 in the AP poll and #24 in the Coaches Poll. No other A-10 team gets any votes.

So far in the OOC portion of schedule, A-10 record is 21-10.

After the first week in CBB, key URI metrics are:

NET - NA
BPI - 107
Pomeroy - 91
Sagarin - 97

Monday action in the A-10:

Penn State at UMass, 7 PM. On CBSSN

St. Thomas -Minnesota at Fordham, 7 PM. On ESPN+.

Weber State at Duquesne, 7 PM. On ESPN+.

In games involving URI OOC opponents:

Bryant at Clemson, 7 PM. On ACCN.

PC at Wisconsin, 9 PM. On FS1.

Oregon State at Tulsa, 9 PM. On ESPNU.

Bethune-Cookman at Utah, 10 PM. On PAC12.
Campus game in Sunshine Slam.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Re: Week #2 - Games of Interest

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Kiss and Childs have 29 of Bryant’s 33 points 15 minutes into the game. They are hanging tough with Clemson.

Those damn cupcakes won’t go away. :roll:
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

UMass up on Penn State at the half 37-33
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

DC_Rams wrote: 2 years ago Kiss and Childs have 29 of Bryant’s 33 points 15 minutes into the game. They are hanging tough with Clemson.

DC we have our differences. It's not personal.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

DC_Rams wrote: 2 years ago Kiss and Childs have 29 of Bryant’s 33 points 15 minutes into the game. They are hanging tough with Clemson.

An hour later...down 17
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Bryant down by 24. Guess the frosting fell off.
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

A cupcake is defined as a low level basketball team that has no chance of an at large bid. Like Bryant. Which lost to Clemson, which is a low level P5 basketball team by 33 points.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

UMass punishes Penn State 81–56
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

It's true that Bryant, although competitive in their own conference, is miles away from actually competing with the big boys. Unless its March, where anything can happen. Still rooting for them to have a good season. Plus Clemson looked like a top half ACC team to be honest.
1 x
GO RAMS
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago

DC we have our differences. It's not personal.
Never personal. I was just ribbing you.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Tuesday action in the A-10:

Future URI OOC opponent Georgia State at Richmond, 7 PM. On CBSSN

Saint Louis at Memphis, 8 PM. On ESPN+. First real test for the Billikens.

George Washington continues its West Coast pilgrimage with a visit to CSU-Fullerton, Kevin Costner's alma mater, 10:30 PM. On ESPN+.

USC at Florida Gulf Coast 6 PM. On ESPNU

Boston U. at Northeastern, 7 PM.

Johnson & Wales at Brown, 7 PM. On ESPN+. A chance to make a comparison to the URI game with J&W.

North Carolina at Charleston, 8:30 PM. On CBSSN. How did they get a home game with UNC?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

North Carolina is the first Power 5 school CofC has hosted at TD Arena since Oklahoma State visited on Nov. 13, 2019 and the first AP Top-20 team since Ben Simmons and No. 19 LSU came to TD on Nov. 22, 2018.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Other A-10 results last night, Fordham in the Bronx slipped by transitioning to D1 St Thomas-MN 84-78 and Duquense lost at home 63-59 to Weber State. The A-10 is just 23-11to start the season with most of the really good OOC opponents yet to be played. Some of the losses have been to the likes of Yale, Wagner, UMass-Lowell, Manhattan, San Francisco, Sacred Heart, Hofstra, and UC-San Diego (not to be confused with SDSU).
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhode Island kid makes headlines

Click and you can see the huge steal and 3 point play

0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 2 years ago North Carolina is the first Power 5 school CofC has hosted at TD Arena since Oklahoma State visited on Nov. 13, 2019 and the first AP Top-20 team since Ben Simmons and No. 19 LSU came to TD on Nov. 22, 2018.
Ben Simmons...
L
O
L
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Georgia State at Richmond should be a good game.
GS has been without all conference big Eliel Nsoseme (12 pts/10 rebs), nursing a knee injury. Not sure if he is available for tonight's game.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Rhode Island kid makes headlines

There's another RI kid, Jawarie Hamlin from Westerly, doing a post grad year at PRISE Academy in Missouri. His team is playing a few New England schools this week and next up this way.

He's had many D1 contacts and/or offers from mid majors (schools lower than the A10) from the tweets I've seen, maybe Cox and company could get a look at him while he's in the area?
0 x
Go Rhody
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago Rhode Island kid makes headlines

There's another RI kid, Jawarie Hamlin from Westerly, doing a post grad year at PRISE Academy in Missouri. His team is playing a few New England schools this week and next up this way.

He's had many D1 contacts and/or offers from mid majors (schools lower than the A10) from the tweets I've seen, maybe Cox and company could get a look at him while he's in the area?
From his posted highlights on Twitter, I don't really think he looks like an A-10 talent - more of a low D1 player, if that. Also, while he might be getting interest, I can't find any offers, and he doesn't have pages on Verbal Commits or the usual spots. (Then again, I'm always annoyed when URI gets crapped on for not recruiting a Rhode Island kid, as if it is every school's divine right and/or responsibility to sign all local talent.)
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Watching the FGCU game against #25 USC on ESPNU. Looks likes a tough matchup for us. Nice arena and it looks packed. It sits 4,500. They are tied with 7+ minutes left in the first half.
Last edited by KevanBoyles 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

USC up by 8 at the half. FGCU got sloppy in the last several minutes.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

FGCU now shooting 21% from 3. 4-19. Some bigs but not dominant in the paint. Lots of transfers. Down by 9 with 15 left in 2nd half. If we can lock them down from 3, force TOs, and dominate the paint, we should have a good chance.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

USC wins by 17. +20 in the paint. FGCU shoots 8-30 from 3. 50% of shots from 3.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Obadiah wrote: 2 years ago Tuesday action in the A-10:

George Washington continues its West Coast pilgrimage with a visit to CSU-Fullerton, Kevin Costner's alma mater, 10:30 PM. On ESPN+.

Johnson & Wales at Brown, 7 PM. On ESPN+. A chance to make a comparison to the URI game with J&W.

North Carolina at Charleston, 8:30 PM. On CBSSN. How did they get a home game with UNC?
UNC at CoC - I was thinking the same thing!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I think I've seen St. Louis miss about 10 layups.
0 x
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Why are some refs wearing masks and some not? Is it a vax status thing, or just a choice? Seems like there's usually one per game...
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago
Obadiah wrote: 2 years ago Tuesday action in the A-10:

UNC at CoC - I was thinking the same thing!
CoC keeps playing like this, they may not get the heels there again....
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Northeastern beats BU. 49-48 in what must have been a thriller
Old recruit Chris Doherty had 16 for NE

Richmond nice win 94-78 led by 32 at one point v Ga St

Memphis 90 STL. 74
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Hall beats Michigan 67-65 great finish
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

GW is horrible
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago GW is horrible
I know it’s extremely early in the season, but what does this say about Maryland?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago Why are some refs wearing masks and some not? Is it a vax status thing, or just a choice? Seems like there's usually one per game...
My guess would be a combination of both.
0 x
Go Rhody
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

In A-10 Wednesday action our attention will fixed on the URI vs. Boston College game at Ryan, 6 PM. On CBSSN.

Other A-10 action tonight:

George Mason at Maryland, 7 PM. On BTN.

Drexel at Saint Joseph's, 7 PM.

La Salle at Delaware, 7 PM.

Lipscomb at Dayton, 7 PM. On ESPN+.

VCU at Vanderbilt, 8 PM. On SECN/ESPN+.

In a game involving a URI OOC opponent:

Harvard at Albany, 7 PM. On ESPN+.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

UNC at Charleston last night - I only watched the first half, but based on the score it looked like it was a game until the last couple of minutes. TV broadcast did a good job of explaining how the game came to be. CoC's AD went to UNC and worked in the athletic dept there and built many ties. When he became AD he worked his personal connections at UNC to get a 2 for 1. Last season at UNC, this season at CoC and next at UNC.

A good get - I would take a 2 for 1 against a school like this in a heart beat or a "home and home" vs a WVa with our home game at Mohegan. Be creative.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago UNC at Charleston last night - I only watched the first half, but based on the score it looked like it was a game until the last couple of minutes. TV broadcast did a good job of explaining how the game came to be. CoC's AD went to UNC and worked in the athletic dept there and built many ties. When he became AD he worked his personal connections at UNC to get a 2 for 1. Last season at UNC, this season at CoC and next at UNC.

A good get - I would take a 2 for 1 against a school like this in a heart beat or a "home and home" vs a WVa with our home game at Mohegan. Be creative.
..well I would hope you, and everyone, would take a 2 for 1 against UNC, a top 4 program in college basketball. Talk about stating the obvious.

Although I am sure there are people on this board who wouldn't take this deal.
1 x
Go Rhody
steviep123
Sly Williams

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago UNC at Charleston last night - I only watched the first half, but based on the score it looked like it was a game until the last couple of minutes. TV broadcast did a good job of explaining how the game came to be. CoC's AD went to UNC and worked in the athletic dept there and built many ties. When he became AD he worked his personal connections at UNC to get a 2 for 1. Last season at UNC, this season at CoC and next at UNC.

..well I would hope you, and everyone, would take a 2 for 1 against UNC, a top 4 program in college basketball. Talk about stating the obvious.

I can guarantee you there are some that wouldn't take a 2 for 1 with UNC. BC (like we did) I can understand, but a blue blood like them? Absolutely.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I can guarantee you there are some that wouldn't take a 2 for 1 with UNC. BC (like we did) I can understand, but a blue blood like them? Absolutely.

2-1's with programs such as UNC are fine by me. My issue was with BC. The Eagles may be in the same ACC conference but they have a much lesser profile than the Tarheels. URI has a better arena and draws more than the Eagles. It should not be giving programs like BC 2-1 's.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

And fans who wouldn't take a 2 for 1 with UNC are idiots, plan and simple.
1 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

The BE swept the B10 in the first 4 games of the Gavitt Tipoff:
Creighton over Nebraska 77-69
Seton Hall over #4 Mich. 67-65
PC over Wisc. 63-58
Marquette over #10 Ill. 67-66
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

And fans who wouldn't take a 2 for 1 with UNC are idiots, plan and simple.
I'm not sure there are any...are there?
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

JimSidd wrote: 2 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago GW is horrible
I know it’s extremely early in the season, but what does this say about Maryland?
Probably GW playing out of their mind and Maryland just not being insync yet
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

George Mason up 10 on Maryland at the 13 min mark 48-38.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Up 6 with 6 to play.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

steviep123
Sly Williams

Up 8 with 3 to play.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

steviep123
Sly Williams

1 point game. 57 secs left. 2 huge 3s by md.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

steviep123
Sly Williams

Up 3 going to line 14 secs left.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Mason wins!
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

And ball game. GMU 71 MD 66. Good win for them and for the A10.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Patriots are exceeding expectations. Terps on the other hand have not looked good thus far with several close calls.

St Joe's loses at home to Drexel 78-75
Dayton drilled at home by Liscomb 78-59
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Wow, George Mason beats #20 Maryland 71-66 at Maryland.
English is doing something special there.
Put together a nice roster.
Plus adding Dennis Felton as assoc. HC was smart with all his head coaching and NCAAT experience (Western Kentucky, Georgia).
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Looking like URI @ Mason could be a previously unexpected Q1 game for us
0 x