A10 Outlook for 21-22

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: A10 Outlook for 21-22

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Wait till Parker Laine finds out URI just beat St John's in Carnesecca...

Just another fan who doesn't follow college basketball closely and automictically think big name schools are always better than mid majors.
0 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

He does have a history of groin injuries, he plays an important role in their depth.
Outside of their starting 5, they do have question marks on the quality of their bench.

0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jon Rothstein's 10 Bold Predictions for the 21-22 Basketball Season:

"The Atlantic 10 will have no more than two teams in the 2022 NCAA Tournament
Murphy’s Law has hit this conference with season-ending injuries to Saint Louis’ Javonte Perkins and VCU’s Jamir Watkins and Jarren McAllister. The Atlantic 10 simply can’t absorb hits of that magnitude to two programs who were picked in the top four of the league’s preseason poll. This conference has been trending towards eventually becoming a one-bid league, but a loaded team at St. Bonaventure and an extremely experienced squad at Richmond should find a way into the bracket on Selection Sunday. Anything beyond that would be a massive surprise."

He also has St. John's winning their first NCAAT game since 2000.

Early on I thought this would be the season that the A10 would get more than 2 teams in the NCAAT.
But after Perkins out for SLU and the injuries to VCU, I doubt it.
Maybe Rhody will surprise everyone, also an outside chance for Dayton and Davidson.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

STC wrote: 2 years ago St. Louis odds of winning the A10 Regular Season Crown took a fairly big hit in Vegas following the Perkins injury news. St. Louis had the 4th best odds but have now been dropped to 7th.

FWIW, this is how Vegas see's the A10 Regular Season going:

St. Bona -125
Richmond +280
VCU +950
Davidson +1400
Dayton +1700
Rhode Island +1700
Saint Louis +3500
George Mason +4200
Duquesne +4200
UMass +5000
GWU +13000
LaSalle +21000
St. Joe's +37000
Fordham +50000
Updated A10 Regular Season odds on the eve of the season tipping off:

St. Bona +110
Richmond +310
VCU +800
Davidson +1400
Dayton +1400
Rhode Island +1600
Saint Louis +2700
Duquesne +3500
UMass +3500
George Mason +5000
GWU +8000
LaSalle +10000
St. Joe's +13000
Fordham +50000

If I can remember I will post updated odds prior to conference play beginning.
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

STC wrote: 2 years ago
STC wrote: 2 years ago St. Louis odds of winning the A10 Regular Season Crown took a fairly big hit in Vegas following the Perkins injury news. St. Louis had the 4th best odds but have now been dropped to 7th.

FWIW, this is how Vegas see's the A10 Regular Season going:

St. Bona -125
Richmond +280
VCU +950
Davidson +1400
Dayton +1700
Rhode Island +1700
Saint Louis +3500
George Mason +4200
Duquesne +4200
UMass +5000
GWU +13000
LaSalle +21000
St. Joe's +37000
Fordham +50000
Updated A10 Regular Season odds on the eve of the season tipping off:

St. Bona +110
Richmond +310
VCU +800
Davidson +1400
Dayton +1400
Rhode Island +1600
Saint Louis +2700
Duquesne +3500
UMass +3500
George Mason +5000
GWU +8000
LaSalle +10000
St. Joe's +13000
Fordham +50000

If I can remember I will post updated odds prior to conference play beginning.
Can’t comprehend how VCU is still +800. Feel like they should be closer to Dayton/Davidson. Did Vegas slip up and miss those injuries or what
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Richmond has 3 freshmen redshirting this season.
Makes sense with 15 scholarship players on this roster.

0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Mooney needs to get it done this season.

His team is loaded, no excuses even with the loss of a key player.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Mooney needs to get it done this season.

His team is loaded, no excuses even with the loss of a key player.
Yes, they did lose Francis but getting Sherod to come back was a huge consolation prize. In 19-20 he averaged about 13 pts/5 rebs.
As we know their starting 5 is loaded and should be an NCAAT lock.

Unfortunately for Mooney postseason was cancelled in 2020 or they would of "Danced" for sure.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I will wait to see how the members do out of conference before guessing how many bids are realistic
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I like the light schedule. Hard to build up players and build a team when you keep losing bc you’re playing a schedule that is over your head. Better to improve playing light schedule than to be stagnant and ppl be upset cause you’re losing. Then they can be better later in the season instead of just falling apart.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Interesting opening lineup for Dayton. Weaver and Amzil didn't start, plus Nwokeji didn't even play (injured).
They started 1 redshirt soph and 4 freshman (including RSF).
They will be an interesting team to watch this year with all their youth.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago Interesting opening lineup for Dayton. Weaver and Amzil didn't start, plus Nwokeji didn't even play (injured).
Watch out for Jordan Nesbitt who was a Top 50 player, went to Memphis and now has returned to hometown St Louis.
Nesbitt is now in the starting line up and can be an explosive scorer and rebounder.

https://www.a10talk.com/2021-top-50-rec ... -st-louis/
0 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but A10 won every game opening night except for La Salle laying an egg v Sacred Heart. These are the losses that the A10 has to avoid. They come back to haunt all of us.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The A10 has too many egg layers.

That's what hurts the league getting bids.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 2 years ago Not sure if this has been mentioned, but A10 won every game opening night except for La Salle laying an egg v Sacred Heart. These are the losses that the A10 has to avoid. They come back to haunt all of us.
I was watching the end of that and it just made me wonder how in the hell did LA Salle ever make it to the sweet 16?
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago Interesting opening lineup for Dayton. Weaver and Amzil didn't start, plus Nwokeji didn't even play (injured).
Watch out for Jordan Nesbitt who was a Top 50 player, went to Memphis and now has returned to hometown St Louis.
Nesbitt is now in the starting line up and can be an explosive scorer and rebounder.

Absolutely Ramster
Nesbitt will be a star and should be the heir apparent to Perkins.
Surprised Oregon transfer Okoro (center) didn't start, there is big expectations for him. They decided to go small with only big Linssen starting.
Also transfer Rashad Williams and soph. Thatch should add good depth at guard.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago

Absolutely Ramster
Nesbitt will be a star and should be the heir apparent to Perkins.
Surprised Oregon transfer Okoro (center) didn't start, there is big expectations for him. They decided to go small with only big Linssen starting.
Also transfer Rashad Williams and soph. Thatch should add good depth at guard.
Nesbitt went straight to starting when Perkins went out. He will be a star for St Louis this year.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

VCU barely eked out a win against St. Peter's 57-54.
Freshman Nunn started at PG for Ace (injured) and Curry started at SG.
Very surprised that Washington transfer Tsohonis didn't start, much is anticipated of him. He is supposed to be the replacement for Bones.
VCU went very big, starting both Ward and Levi upfront and Williams at the wing.
They will miss the athleticism of Watkins (out).
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

As long as the teams who perform poorly out of conference have the decency to suck in conference the conference can withstand them. It is when Davidson loses games out of conference and acquire a poor statistical rank and then find themselves knocking off teams in the conference schedule that we have problems
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Ramulous wrote: 2 years ago As long as the teams who perform poorly out of conference have the decency to suck in conference the conference can withstand them. It is when Davidson loses games out of conference and acquire a poor statistical rank and then find themselves knocking off teams in the conference schedule that we have problems
I think there's a term for that....
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I think Jayden Nunn is the the real deal, I wish he committed here.
Both him and Bones are 2 guard recruits we went after hard and ended up at VCU.

0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Several of the fans (on the boards) of Dayton and VCU were complaining about their team having too many athletes and not enough shooters.
Where have we heard that before?

Yes it has been a brutal 1st week for the A10, but I am just not ready yet to bury the conference.
Upsets are not that uncommon and shit happens, teams have off nights and are caught off guard.

Let's hope that in the coming weeks these so called heavyweights of the A10 can knock off some major programs.
They will certainly have that opportunity in the very near future to get some big wins.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago I think Jayden Nunn is the the real deal, I wish he committed here.

VCU was favored over St Peters at home by 9 - won by only 3
VCU was favored by 11 over Wagner yesterday at home and lost by 14. Nunn started, played only 15 minutes and had zero points, zero rebounds. Might have lost his starting spot upcoming at Vandy this Wednesday night.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago I think Jayden Nunn is the the real deal, I wish he committed here.

I’m glad we didn’t get him or Dahmir Bishop. I’m content with the team as constructed.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

VCU was favored over St Peters at home by 9 - won by only 3
VCU was favored by 11 over Wagner yesterday at home and lost by 14. Nunn started, played only 15 minutes and had zero points, zero rebounds. Might have lost his starting spot upcoming at Vandy this Wednesday night.
VCU doesn't look good to start the season, maybe the injuries combined with the new players.

I still think Nunn will have a good career at VCU. Not uncommon for a true freshman to have early season jitters just starting Div.1 play.
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

DC_Rams wrote: 2 years ago

I’m glad we didn’t get him or Dahmir Bishop. I’m content with the team as constructed.
Yes I am content with who we have also, but it is way too early to make a judgement call on Nunn.
I would still take him in a heartbeat along with our current roster.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago Several of the fans (on the boards) of Dayton and VCU were complaining about their team having too many athletes and not enough shooters.

Yes it has been a brutal 1st week for the A10, but I am just not ready yet to bury the conference.
Upsets are not that uncommon and shit happens, teams have off nights and are caught off guard.

Let's hope that in the coming weeks these so called heavyweights of the A10 can knock off some major programs.
They will certainly have that opportunity in the very near future to get some big wins.
Most prognosticators have the A10 getting 2 teams in the NCAA.

Top 3 in A10 are St Bonaventure, Richmond and St. Louis do not like Dayton and VCU are heavyweights in 2021-22.

At the end of the day coming in Top 2 Spots in A10 Conference play most likely path to NCAA bid. Get to the Chsmpioship game. Anything less than getting to the Top 2 spots is a tough road regardless of how well one did in OOC.

I’ve about given up on thinking the A10 will ever get more 3 or 4 bids. Best to use the OOC to prepare to grap those top 2 Conference spots away from St Bonaventure and Richmond or whoever else might covet them.
64E97D89-E9A1-4146-A7E7-6BE330B1CA84.png
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago Several of the fans (on the boards) of Dayton and VCU were complaining about their team having too many athletes and not enough shooters.

Top 3 in A10 are St Bonaventure, Richmond and St. Louis do not like Dayton and VCU are heavyweights in 2021-22.

At the end of the day coming in Top 2 Spots in A10 Conference play most likely path to NCAA bid. Get to the Chsmpioship game. Anything less than getting to the Top 2 spots is a tough road regardless of how well one did in OOC.

I’ve about given up on thinking the A10 will ever get more 3 or 4 bids. Best to use the OOC to prepare to grap those top 2 Conference spots away from St Bonaventure and Richmond or whoever else might covet them.

As I said early on, I originally thought this would be the season the A10 would have a good opportunity to get more than 2 teams in the NCAAT.
As things moved forward with Perkins out at SLU and the injuries to VCU, I have tempered my expectations.
Add to that, the early season losses by Richmond, VCU, Dayton, and Davidson doesn't help things.

Dayton with all their youth is probably a year away.
Richmond I am most disappointed with, that loss was really ugly.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

As I said early on, I originally thought this would be the season the A10 would have a good opportunity to get more than 2 teams in the NCAAT.
As things moved forward with Perkins out at SLU and the injuries to VCU, I have tempered my expectations.
Add to that, the early season losses by Richmond, VCU, Dayton, and Davidson doesn't help things.

I never thought the A10 would be a 3 or 4 bid league this year so no I’m not disappointed. On the plus side think about how URI might have a better shot at the top spots in the A10 then you might have originally thought.

In the contest I have URI 25-6, 11-2 in OOC. Maybe even better than 11-2 is possible based on what I’ve seen vs BU and Bryant.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I never thought the A10 would be a 3 or 4 bid league this year so no I’m not disappointed. On the plus side think about how URI might have a better shot at the top spots in the A10 then you might have originally thought.

In the contest I have URI 25-6, 11-2 in OOC. Maybe even better than 11-2 is possible based on what I’ve seen vs BU and Bryant.
I actually did.
I thought both St. Louis and VCU had a shot (prior to the injuries) along with the Bonnies and Richmond.
Things change.

I hope you are right on your prediction for us. :)
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

…….I think we will surprise some people…….of course that has the potential to go either way……..timing seems ripe for a Rhody climb……..work cut out right in front of them……..up to coaching and players……..
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Wow I did not realize Perkins was out for SLU :(

They still looked good.

SLU, St Bona URI are the only teams that look like they have a pulse this year.

I'm writing off Dayton and VCU. Totally embarrassing losses.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago Wow I did not realize Perkins was out for SLU :(

They still looked good.

I'm thinking it's a mistake to write off either one...time will to tell I guess.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago Wow I did not realize Perkins was out for SLU :(

They still looked good.

I'm thinking it's a mistake to write off either one...time will to tell I guess.
Ima write them off and stick by it
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Way too early to write them off.

Takes a while to jell lol.....
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Way too early to write them off.

Takes a while to jell lol.....
Lol....jellin'....well done!
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago

They still looked good.

I wouldn't dismiss them yet.
Grant and Rhoades still have plenty of time to right the ship.
Dayton will keep maturing and VCU will continue to improve, plus a chance for Ace to return for A10 play.
Also heard that highly touted VCU transfer Tsohonis has been a little slowed by a lingering groin injury.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Dayton will keep maturing and VCU will continue to improve, plus a chance for Ace to return for A10 play.
Also heard that highly touted VCU transfer Tsohonis has been a little slowed by a lingering groin injury.
When you lose to Wagner 58-44 you can only be but so good
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

When you lose to Wagner 58-44 you can only be but so good
We went 0-4 against Duquesne and UMASS last season along with coming in 10th in the A10. I’m not ready to dismiss any A10 team.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I wouldn’t write off Dsyton and VCU just yet either it’s very early , that said I am getting more opportunistic about us being a top 4 team
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 2 years ago I wouldn’t write off Dsyton and VCU just yet either it’s very early , that said I am getting more opportunistic about us being a top 4 team
Writing them off as NCAA tournament teams

Anything could happen of course.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 2 years ago I wouldn’t write off Dsyton and VCU just yet either it’s very early , that said I am getting more opportunistic about us being a top 4 team
Writing them off as NCAA tournament teams

Anything could happen of course.
We are 2 games into a 31 game season plus A10 Tournament to go
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Ramster.
I know you were touting George Mason as a sleeper and given grief from some posters about it, but you may be right.
I know it is very early but coach English looks like he has them going in the right direction.

They did lose almost all their scoring, but his new roster doesn't look bad and are taking care of business.
Center Oduro (6'9"/235) has been impressive 19.3 pts/6.3 rebs.
Schwartz looks like the top transfer in the A10 so far, 16 pts/6 rebs
Also transfers Cooper (13 pts) and Gaines (10 pts) are both starting.

I may not put them in the upper tier yet, but I like what coach English is doing.

Next game on Wed against Maryland should be fun, hope they are competitive.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

At large credentials are made in November and December.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Ramulous wrote: 2 years ago At large credentials are made in November and December.
The way things are going, the A10 could be a 1 bid league if the Bonnies collapse.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
Ramulous wrote: 2 years ago At large credentials are made in November and December.
The way things are going, the A10 could be a 1 bid league if the Bonnies collapse.
There’s really no excuse for Richmond to not make the tournament, barring injury.

If they stay healthy and don’t make it, it is 100000% solely on Mooney with the talent and experience they have.
0 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
There’s really no excuse for Richmond to not make the tournament, barring injury.

If they stay healthy and don’t make it, it is 100000% solely on Mooney with the talent and experience they have.
I agree, if they don't Mooney may be gone.
He doesn't get much love on their fan board.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

A Freshman to watch this year could be Jackie Johnson III who came off the bench for Duquesne Monday night to score a game high 27 points in only 24 minutes in a 4 point loss to Weber State.

9-19 FG
4-8 3P
5-6 FT

He only played 8 minutes in Duquesne’s 1st 2 games but likely made a case for more playing time going forward.

https://triblive.com/sports/duquesne-ad ... ing-class/
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago Ramster.
I know you were touting George Mason as a sleeper and given grief from some posters about it, but you may be right.
I know it is very early but coach English looks like he has them going in the right direction.

They did lose almost all their scoring, but his new roster doesn't look bad and are taking care of business.
Center Oduro (6'9"/235) has been impressive 19.3 pts/6.3 rebs.
Schwartz looks like the top transfer in the A10 so far, 16 pts/6 rebs
Also transfers Cooper (13 pts) and Gaines (10 pts) are both starting.

I may not put them in the upper tier yet, but I like what coach English is doing.

Next game on Wed against Maryland should be fun, hope they are competitive.

My comments were made in response to a recruiting comment along the lines of why would anyone chose to go to George Mason

I thought George Mason made a good move to change coach at end of last season and another good move to pick Kim English.

English hit the ground running with transfers and retaining the players he wanted to have stay.

Most impressive to me what English has done so far are the 3 Freshmen he has recruited already for next year. Top notch players.

3 games in George Mason has the best A-10 record at 3-0:
Beat Stony Brook: favored by 4, won by 18
Beat Pennsylvania: favored by 8, won by 21
Beat Morgan State: favored by 11.5, won by 37

Tonight at Maryland: underdog by 10.5
1 x