Week #1 - Games of Interest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Re: Week #1 - Games of Interest

Unread post by Obadiah »

Busy schedule today in the A-10:

Mt. St. Mary's at Saint Joseph's, 1 PM. On ESPN+.

Albany at La Salle, at 4 PM. On ESPN+.

UMass Lowell at Dayton, 6 PM. On ESPN+.

Wagner at VCU, 7 PM. On ESPN+.

Hofstra at Duquesne, 7 PM. On ESPN+.

Davidson at San Francisco, 8:30 PM.

George Washington at UC San Diego, 10 PM. On ESPN+.

In games involving URI OOC opponents:

Air Force at Tulsa, 1 PM. On ESPN+.

Harvard at Iona, 1 PM. On ESPN3.

Florida Gulf Coast at Loyola Chicago, 2 PM. On ESPN3.

Loyola MD at Charleston, 5 PM.

E. Kentucky at Milwaukee, 7 PM. On ESPN+.

Sacramento State at Utah , 9;30 PM.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Brown almost beat UNC and almost no one is saying anything about it

This board is dead
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago Brown almost beat UNC and almost no one is saying anything about it

This board is dead
I said something about it yesterday. Check it out.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Meanwhile, Vermont up on MD at the half.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

DC_Rams wrote: 2 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago Brown almost beat UNC and almost no one is saying anything about it

This board is dead
I said something about it yesterday. Check it out.
Yeah thats why I said "almost" no one is saying anything about it
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Dartmouth who lost their season opener at Boston College by 16 points goes to Georgetown and stuns the Hoyas, 69-60, in a game in which they led the whole way.

Meanwhile Harvard lost in OT to Pitino's Iona team, 90-87
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

If the A-10 is going to run up the out of conference record they better get on it soon. Richmond losing hurts.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

DeanDome88 wrote: 2 years ago If the A-10 is going to run up the out of conference record they better get on it soon. Richmond losing hurts.
St. Joseph's did their part today by routing NEC Mt. St. Mary's, 80-60. La Salle gets the next shot against Albany.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Not great for us.
Tulsa lost in the final second to Air Force 59-58 and AF had come back from an 11 point deficit.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago Not great for us.
Tulsa lost in the final second to Air Force 59-58 and AF had come back from an 11 point deficit.
Not great for us??????? Tulsa? Just resign yourself to the fact that if we win every single game, we are not getting ranked.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
Not great for us??????? Tulsa? Just resign yourself to the fact that if we win every single game, we are not getting ranked.

If we go into conference play undefeated we will 100% be ranked. I don’t think it will happen, but come onnn
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rhodysurf wrote: 2 years ago

If we go into conference play undefeated we will 100% be ranked. I don’t think it will happen, but come onnn
Not a chance we get ranked. We have a schedule so weak. I mean, it's so weak we are not playing one top 25 team until St Bonaventure, if they are still ranked come conference play. People yesterday were saying Bryant was a tough out. Bryant.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Getting ranked isn't going to happen, an NIT bid is a possibility. That would be a step in the right direction.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Obadiah wrote: 2 years ago Dartmouth who lost their season opener at Boston College by 16 points goes to Georgetown and stuns the Hoyas, 69-60, in a game in which they led the whole way.

Meanwhile Harvard lost in OT to Pitino's Iona team, 90-87
Pitino...winner.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

:lol:
rhodysurf wrote: 2 years ago

Not a chance we get ranked. We have a schedule so weak. I mean, it's so weak we are not playing one top 25 team until St Bonaventure, if they are still ranked come conference play. People yesterday were saying Bryant was a tough out. Bryant.
:lol: :lol:
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
Getting ranked isn't going to happen, an NIT bid is a possibility. That would be a step in the right direction.
An NIT bid is a possibility? Good lord. Thankfully we have a "possibility" for an NIT bid that no one even attends.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Say it ain’t so Patrick Ewing and the Georgetown Hoyas !!
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

In no way, shape, or form is Tulsa losing “not great for us.”

We have zero shot at an at large bid, so OOC opponent results mean little to nothing to us this season.
0 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago In no way, shape, or form is Tulsa losing “not great for us.”

We have zero shot at an at large bid, so OOC opponent results mean little to nothing to us this season.
Not as far as an NCAAT, but helps if Tulsa has a good year for us having a quality OOC win for NIT consideration.
Obviously if Tulsa struggles this year, it makes no difference.
More important with our OOC schedule being what it is, the better these teams are the more it will prepare us for conference play.

Seriously at this point you have no interest in wanting our OOC opponents to have successful seasons?
For that matter since you think we have no shot anyway, why even root for the A10 teams?
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago In no way, shape, or form is Tulsa losing “not great for us.”

Not as far as an NCAAT, but helps if Tulsa has a good year for us having a quality OOC win for NIT consideration.
More important with our OOC schedule being what it is, the better these teams are the more it will prepare us for conference play.
Cmon. You either make the NCAA tournament or you make nothing. They might as well be 10-21 rather than making the NIT. It is meaningless tournament that no one cares about.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RamStock wrote: 2 years ago

Cmon. You either make the NCAA tournament or you make nothing. They might as well be 10-21 rather than making the NIT. It is meaningless tournament that no one cares about.
Really, I hope I never feel that way about our team.
Then you shouldn't even watch our games this year, since you are so indifferent.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Dayton lose they lose at home to UMass Lowell

Say it ain’t so Anthony Grant !!
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Then you shouldn't even watch our games this year, since you are so indifferent.
Rooting to make the NIT by following the non conference schedule is really shooting for the stars. You realize no one cares about the NIT. Maybe you could rub that in the PC fans faces. Yeah making the NIT is the Not Invited Tournament. It sounds like you are already under the idea that they have no chance at the NCAA tournament so you moved over to the Not Invited Tournament and CBI or whatever it is called
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rooting to make the NIT by following the non conference schedule is really shooting for the stars. You realize no one cares about the NIT. Maybe you could rub that in the PC fans faces. Yeah making the NIT is the Not Invited Tournament. It sounds like you are already under the idea that they have no chance at the NCAA tournament so you moved over to the Not Invited Tournament and CBI or whatever it is called
Obviously the NIT is not my first choice and yeah I would love to see us go to the NCAAT.
I just don't write off the team or the entire season because we weren't able to make it.
I don't agree with you saying that going 10-21 equates the same as winning 20 plus games and get invited to the NIT.
I am sorry but let's take one step at a time.
In 50 plus years we have only been to the NCAAT 8 times, not exactly a blueblood record.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I feel like the A10 is pretty open this year. We’ll see how good the Bonnies are.
0 x
GO RAMS
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Wagner beating VCU 37-35 in the 2nd half
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

UMass Lowell just beat Dayton 59-58 at Dayton.
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

I don’t remember how many comments have been made on the Utah State - Richmond game. Utah State has a good program, but Richmond HAS to win that game at home. A double digit loss is a stain on the entire league. This is the type of loss that can hurt any A10 bubble team in March, not just Richmond.
I won’t even get into Dayton losing to UMASS Lowell. I see Gregory Hammond got a whopping seven minutes of playing time and didn’t score.
Of course there was that once in a generation Dayton team from 2020, but besides that, I feel the quality of the top A10 teams has really slipped the past couple of years. I’ve seen several instances of teams in lesser leagues aquit themselves very well in the tournament and I still can’t get over how inept St Bonaventure looked against LSU last March. They looked like they didn’t belong on the same court.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

You guys are depressing, until it’s mathematically not possible to make the tournament that’s what you root for
6 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Obviously the NIT is not my first choice and yeah I would love to see us go to the NCAAT.
I just don't write off the team or the entire season because we weren't able to make it.
I don't agree with you saying that going 10-21 equates the same as winning 20 plus games and get invited to the NIT.
In 50 plus years we have only been to the NCAAT 8 times, not exactly a blueblood record.
Playing Wagner, Marist or a power conference team with 16 loses just doesn’t do it for me. Everyone is focused on the NCAA tournament. The attendance for these games dictate they are a waste of time
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Bad loss for Dayton. Take out the Obi Toppin season and Grant is 50-40 (30-22) with zero tournament bids.
Last edited by STC 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Playing Wagner, Marist or a power conference team with 16 loses just doesn’t do it for me. Everyone is focused on the NCAA tournament. The attendance for these games dictate they are a waste of time
I would watch, there are some very good bubble teams that play in it.
If we made the NIT semis in MSG, I will be there.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Duquesne loses to Hofstra
0 x
GO RAMS
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

JimSidd wrote: 2 years ago I don’t remember how many comments have been made on the Utah State - Richmond game. Utah State has a good program, but Richmond HAS to win that game at home. A double digit loss is a stain on the entire league. This is the type of loss that can hurt any A10 bubble team in March, not just Richmond.
I won’t even get into Dayton losing to UMASS Lowell. I see Gregory Hammond got a whopping seven minutes of playing time and didn’t score.
Of course there was that once in a generation Dayton team from 2020, but besides that, I feel the quality of the top A10 teams has really slipped the past couple of years. I’ve seen several instances of teams in lesser leagues aquit themselves very well in the tournament and I still can’t get over how inept St Bonaventure looked against LSU last March. They looked like they didn’t belong on the same court.
2 really bad losses for the A10.
Richmond losing to Utah State was horrible, they are predicted to finish in the 2nd tier Mountain West.
Dayton losing to UMass Lowell was just embarrassing.
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

JimSidd wrote: 2 years ago I don’t remember how many comments have been made on the Utah State - Richmond game. Utah State has a good program, but Richmond HAS to win that game at home. A double digit loss is a stain on the entire league. This is the type of loss that can hurt any A10 bubble team in March, not just Richmond.
Richmond losing to Utah State was horrible, they aren't even picked top 5 Mountain West.
Exactly.

Yet people on this board yesterday thought a 20 point win over Bryant was “nothing”. No it’s not beating a Top 25 team, but handedly taking care of business is half the battle in college basketball
2 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Wagner beats VCU 58-44 at VCU.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Dayton loses to UMASS Lowell. Greg Hammond played 7 minutes, no points.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

It doesn't get any easier for Richmond after getting upset by Utah State.
Their next 5 games: Georgia State, at Drake, Hofstra (just beat Duquesne), Maryland, Louisville/Miss State.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Davidson down 13 to San Francisco around 7 min. mark in 2nd half.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago It doesn't get any easier for Richmond after getting upset by Utah State.
Their next 5 games: Georgia State, at Drake, Hofstra (just beat Duquesne), Maryland, Louisville/Miss State.
Furman beat Louisville Friday night
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

So the A10 doesn't look very good... That does not help us
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Say it ain’t so Bernadette McGlade and the A10 conference !!
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago So the A10 doesn't look very good... That does not help us
Davidson just lost to San Francisco 65-60.
Brutal 2 days for the A10.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

A10 is wide open, none of these teams (except bonas) that were projected above URI are any better
1 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

Here we go. Same ol A10. These losses will haunt the entire conference. And for all of you Cox haters...shit happens to everyone. Open your eyes.
Last edited by Rhody_NYCT 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Richmond losing to Utah State was horrible, they are predicted to finish in the 2nd tier Mountain West.
Yeah good call 77, I have no idea what’s wrong with Richmond they have a veteran team should be no excuses
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 2 years ago
Yeah good call 77, I have no idea what’s wrong with Richmond they have a veteran team should be no excuses
Many feel that Mooney will be done after this season if Richmond doesn't Dance.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

The star from Umass that transferred to Texas looks awful out there. I hope he doesn’t lose anything from his choices. Seemed to be an nba player while at umass.

Did Texas take his moms bf too?
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 2 years ago The star from Umass that transferred to Texas looks awful out there. I hope he doesn’t lose anything from his choices. Seemed to be an nba player while at umass.

Did Texas take his moms bf too?
He isn't looking good so far, coming off the bench.
The Zags taking Texas to school in the first half.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

League is wide open after Bonnies. Vcu and Dayton are too reliant on FR and first year transfers (we know how that goes). They both look very offensively challenged. Richmond is Richmond and will still be a tough out but their ceiling is capped and it seems they peaked 2 years ago with this core. After Bonnies and UR we returned the most production. Generally that matters in a league like the A10.
1 x