Fatts (Grad Transfer to Maryland)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Re: Fatts (Grad Transfer to Maryland)

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Fatts started and overall played well. Made his first trey, then missed his next few. No bad shots, Turgeon pulled the first unit as a group mid-way n the first half Fatts was inserted with 10 secs to go in the half and immediately drove to the hoop for a layup. He passed well, but I don;t recall any assists. I think he had 10 points or so.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Fatts not bad in opener.
25 mins, 12 pts (5-9), 4 assists, and didn't take any 3's.
1 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago Fatts not bad in opener.
Wow Fatts not taking a single 3 pointer 🤔. Shocking how that is such a good idea!! I can't stand the fact that I ultimately hated Fatts by the end of his days wearing Rhody blue. He should have gone down as an absolute legend after his freshman year and the performance against OU in the NCAA tournament. The fact that he is so polarizing to the fan base speaks volumes. Wish the kid the best, I really do, but he did way more to hurt this team then help his last 2 years here!
3 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

FDshoes wrote: 2 years ago
Wow Fatts not taking a single 3 pointer 🤔. Shocking how that is such a good idea!! I can't stand the fact that I ultimately hated Fatts by the end of his days wearing Rhody blue. He should have gone down as an absolute legend after his freshman year and the performance against OU in the NCAA tournament. The fact that he is so polarizing to the fan base speaks volumes. Wish the kid the best, I really do, but he did way more to hurt this team then help his last 2 years here!
I’d say that’s a personal problem. He is a URI legend. You’ll never forget some of his big moments (especially vs OU).

It’s more just unfortunate he was never able to get back in the tournament. He’s a gamer
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

FD, Fatts had a pretty strong junior year, he definitely helped us more than hurt us.
In 19-20, he played about 36 mins, averaged 18.8 pts, shot his best from 3pt (36%), 82%FT, and a team high 4.6 assists and 2.87 steals.
Also that year 1st Team All A10 and All Defensive Team
3 x
BlackDogRants
Steve Chubin

Unread post by BlackDogRants »

Noticed this too. Not a single attempted 3. Funny what a gameplan and real coaching can do for a player.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
FD, Fatts had a pretty strong junior year, he definitely helped us more than hurt us.
In 19-20, he played about 36 mins, averaged 18.8 pts, shot his best from 3pt (36%), 82%FT, and a team high 4.6 assists and 2.87 steals.

People will just completely disregard facts and just hate the kid because they want to.
3 x
Go Rhody
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

People will just completely disregard facts and just hate the kid because they want to.
Please - we don't hate the kid, we are just frustrated that he wasn't used to his potential. Yes, the 19-20 combined stats look "OK" - but those that watched the games know that the 36% final average was mostly built in a 2 week stretch where the kid could not miss. He was moved to the bench mid-season for a game because he was jacking up 3s and missing almost all of them WHILE he he still had Dowtin on the team. HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER HERE - whether that is the coach or the kid we will never know, but if he had a role as a distributor first, scorer second he would have been one of the all time greats at URI. Instead he will be remembered for a couple incredible plays, but an average career.
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago

Please - we don't hate the kid, we are just frustrated that he wasn't used to his potential. Yes, the 19-20 combined stats look "OK" - but those that watched the games know that the 36% final average was mostly built in a 2 week stretch where the kid could not miss. He was moved to the bench mid-season for a game because he was jacking up 3s and missing almost all of them WHILE he he still had Dowtin on the team. HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER HERE - whether that is the coach or the kid we will never know, but if he had a role as a distributor first, scorer second he would have been one of the all time greats at URI. Instead he will be remembered for a couple incredible plays, but an average career.

LOL at thinking Fatts Russell had an average career here.

For a recent comparison, I would say Marquis Jones and Lamonte Ulmer had average careers here.

You really gonna put Fatts' career on par with those two?
1 x
Go Rhody
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

His junior year he had a few monster games that really helped his season averags. But he was inconsistent all season. And once we hit the grind of the A10 schedule he regressed and did not finish the year well at all.
0 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

Exactly!!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Once again, he can be really good if he's used properly.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Fatts was fantastic at times and created legendary moments for Rhody. But he made me nervous every time he got the ball.
0 x
GO RAMS
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

LOL at thinking Fatts Russell had an average career here.

For a recent comparison, I would say Marquis Jones and Lamonte Ulmer had average careers here.

You really gonna put Fatts' career on par with those two?
No. Average is probably an over-statement. However, he could have been a top 5 player in Rhody history, he had that potential. As it stands it is tough to put him the top 20 in my mind. He has one of the all time great moments in Rhody history but the body of his entire career here is not what it could have been.
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

In the BU thread there is a post that says that Thor in the pub talked about team chemistry being much better this year. I took that as a shot at Fatts since his departure is the only major change in the program. Maybe I'm reading something into Thor's comment that supports my feeling about Fatts. Fatts has talent but he wasn't good for URI and URI wasn't good for Fatts.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago In the BU thread there is a post that says that Thor in the pub talked about team chemistry being much better this year. I took that as a shot at Fatts since his departure is the only major change in the program. Maybe I'm reading something into Thor's comment that supports my feeling about Fatts. Fatts has talent but he wasn't good for URI and URI wasn't good for Fatts.
I know nothing more than you do. But I’d argue team chemistry would also be much improved due to everyone being a new face last year with so many transfers. Now these guys have spent a season + an offseason together.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago In the BU thread there is a post that says that Thor in the pub talked about team chemistry being much better this year. I took that as a shot at Fatts since his departure is the only major change in the program. Maybe I'm reading something into Thor's comment that supports my feeling about Fatts. Fatts has talent but he wasn't good for URI and URI wasn't good for Fatts.
I know nothing more than you do. But I’d argue team chemistry would also be much improved due to everyone being a new face last year with so many transfers. Now these guys have spent a season + an offseason together.
No one wants to hear that.

They’ll use comparisons to other schools to debunk that theory, but only because it works for their argument in this instance.
0 x
GansettSummer
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by GansettSummer »

Highlight of the night from that game might have been for Quinnipiac. Fatts was getting back on defense in transition so not really his fault but got put on a poster

1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Of course, it takes a good amount of games and practices for guys to gel. Last year it never happened, and things seemed to get worse as the year went on. The "players need time to build chemistry" excuse can only last so long. It's on the coach to figure that out. Not Fatts. I agree Fatts caused a lot of headaches, but I think it's ridiculous that people like 72 want to put all the blame on him... Unlike some of the Cox can do no wrong people here, Cox has admitted that he's been wrong in handling the team the last few seasons. I think he knows he can never coach anyone the way he coached Fatts. Which if he does means he's growing as a coach. That's what we want.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago Of course, it takes a good amount of games and practices for guys to gel. Last year it never happened, and things seemed to get worse as the year went on. The "players need time to build chemistry" excuse can only last so long. It's on the coach to figure that out. Not Fatts. I agree Fatts caused a lot of headaches, but I think it's ridiculous that people like 72 want to put all the blame on him... Unlike some of the Cox can do no wrong people here, Cox has admitted that he's been wrong in handling the team the last few seasons. I think he knows he can never coach anyone the way he coached Fatts. Which if he does means he's growing as a coach. That's what we want.
You clearly read what you want to read. The guy can and has does tons of wrong, as he has acknowledged. The proverbial leash I have for the coaching staff is a little longer than most here. I’ve seen how long coaching transitions take, I’m just willing to gamble that the guy will figure it out. That’s all, that’s it.

*waits for the spin*
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

If Fatts goes to Maryland to lose to GW 🤭
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Is he going to get underneath one of these every game this season or what?
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Looks like he just stuck a big 3
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

DC....just how long can and should URI wait for Cox to "figure it out?"

If there is major improvement this season, then I am OK with another year....but there has to be a pattern of major improvement...in other words if we win 20 or so games this season that's fine, but what if he regresses next season?

Baron had seasons where he won 20 games....but never consistently and we strung him along way too long.

This can't happen again.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Nice game for Fatts. Huge step back 3 and a couple FTs to ice the game late. The 3-pointer was the only one he took all night. 15 points, 6 rebounds, 2 steals and 6-7 from the line.
2 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

Fatts hit a dagger step back three
0 x
Common sense is not common.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

URI fans saw that step back 3 coming miles away
4 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

RhodyRams12 wrote: 2 years ago Fatts hit a dagger step back three
Low percentage shot that is missed more than it's made. Just because it went in doesn't make it a good shot. Many on this board have seen that shot clang off the rim often.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago
Low percentage shot that is missed more than it's made. Just because it went in doesn't make it a good shot. Many on this board have seen that shot clang off the rim often.
The average 3 point percentage in college basketball is somewhere around 34-37 percent. So aren't all 3 pointers low percentage shots that are missed more than they are made? Do you consider all 3 pointers bad shots?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Absolutely incredible people are still trying to talk shit about Fatts when he hit a dagger to seal the W. Oh and that was also his only 3 he's attempted this season.

Also newsflash, the majority of players take shot that are missed more than made, seeing how many shoot under 50% from the field.

I will NEVER understand how people hate on Fatts more than the other bums we've had on this team over the years.
3 x
Go Rhody
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Absolutely incredible people are still trying to talk shit about Fatts when he hit a dagger to seal the W. Oh and that was also his only 3 he's attempted this season.

Also newsflash, the majority of players take shot that are missed more than made, seeing how many shoot under 50% from the field.

I will NEVER understand how people hate on Fatts more than the other bums we've had on this team over the years.
Wait guards don't shoot the ball at 80% per game? This is the same person that complained about Fatts's shot against Oklahoma which will go down as one of the best shots in the history of our program
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

Lol…..but…..it went in
0 x
Common sense is not common.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Great to see the kid have success. Looks to be healthy, moving well, happy for him.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago Great to see the kid have success. Looks to be healthy, moving well, happy for him.
Some people HATE seeing him have success and it kills them.
1 x
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I seem to remember him making most of his step back threes.

And more often then not he makes the clutch ones

But yeah rain on his parade
2 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Hitting a third of your three point shots is as efficient as hitting half of two pointers.
6 x
Slava Ukraini!
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

I don't agree on the comment that we will never know if it was coach. Yes, we can watch the rest of his career and see what the results are with different coaching
Beyond that, it seems to me we know Cox's strenghts and weaknesses. He is not flexible and a terrible in game bench coach. Interested to see if uses Bozeman for in game advise.

In any event,it seems obvious that when the coach ONLY seems to run his default offense (last year), and Fatts has the ball and a high post screen, it is very easy to defend. Hence, too many acrobatic and poor shots at the end of the clock- that was the major issue.
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

The level of stupidity in your comment is almost incalculable.
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Fatts fulfilled his obligation to us. I will always wish him well. Two others who left did not fulfill their obligation to us. I don’t feel the same about their new situations.
5 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
KMar970
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KMar970 »

Ramulous wrote: 2 years ago Fatts fulfilled his obligation to us. I will always wish him well. Two others who left did not fulfill their obligation to us. I don’t feel the same about their new situations.
Can’t agree more I’ll be rooting for him all season since every game he plays is on tv n he was a great guy to root for at uri
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

KMar970 wrote: 2 years ago
Ramulous wrote: 2 years ago Fatts fulfilled his obligation to us. I will always wish him well. Two others who left did not fulfill their obligation to us. I don’t feel the same about their new situations.
Can’t agree more I’ll be rooting for him all season since every game he plays is on tv n he was a great guy to root for at uri
Yeah I love Fatts and I don't love the rest
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Fatts having a Fatts day for UMD. 2-9 FG 0-4 3P so far. Let’s see how many more times he shoots.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Finished as their leading scorer with 22 on a very respectable 7-16 shooting.
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Finished as their leading scorer with 22 on a very respectable 7-16 shooting.
Indeed. Was looking shaky for a bit
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Glad Fatts is doing well . When he does well it reflects well on both URI and the A10 and I will always root for him to do well . He gave everything
he had while at URI.
2 x
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

He will always be our "Savage"! Loved when Dan said that about Fatts his freshman year. Continued success Fatts. Love this young man!
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Fatts is doing just fine, thank you very much.
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I saw Fatts going to MD as a win for both programs.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Fatts turned back the clock to last year with that performance last night for Maryland 💀
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Dino611 wrote: 2 years ago Fatts turned back the clock to last year with that performance last night for Maryland 💀
In some of the “way too early” polls this spring and summer Maryland was being ranked in the Top 10. They will be out of the Top 25 now. Maryland didn’t look great in their 1st two games.

Would be something if URI made the NCAA Tourney and Maryland didn’t - would love to see Turgeon not make it ever since the blow up in Cancun with us and Hurley. I can dream.
Last edited by ramster 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x