11/12 | Bryant University | 6:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Re: 11/12 | Bryant University | 6:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Unread post by RIFan »

Academy Award level flopping
1 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

RIFan wrote: 2 years ago Academy Award level flopping
Agreed.

But this late in the game it’s on you as a team/players to adjust to how the game is being called. They’ve been consistently soft with the offensive fouls tonight
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I’m happy 34 is out. Bryant is a danger to our health.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Ok now we're having some fun!!
0 x
Native
ARD

Unread post by Native »

With 3:22 remaining, the Rhode Island Rams hold a comfortable lead

URI 78, Bryant 59

Things falling apart for the Bryant Bulldogs
0 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Mitchell squared with a nice combined night: 11-19 FG, 27 pts, 22 reb, 4 ast, 5 blk
3 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

A 20 point win vs a potential conference champion is something that might look pretty nice 3 months from now
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Cmon, it's Bryant. Seriously.
2 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago Cmon, it's Bryant. Seriously.
Ya hence why I said 20 point win. Beating them is table stakes. Handily beating conference champions is good
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago
Ya hence why I said 20 point win. Beating them is table stakes. Handily beating conference champions is good
Dude, Bryant sucks and is in the NEC. It's a cupcake game.
2 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

Ron Burgundy says:
Attachments
e31.jpg
1 x
'No Mercy.'
Native
ARD

Unread post by Native »

Final score

URI 83, Bryant 64

Some day Bryant will win in the Ryan Center. Today was not that day.
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

83-64. Good win.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Vegas can kiss my ass too by the way
0 x
GO RAMS
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
We’re not a blue chip. These are good wins. Always have been. Always will be.

Sometimes I swear people on this forum think in the Danny Hurley years we were steam rolling any team that walked through those doors. The same years we made the tournament under DH we were squeaking out single digit wins over the likes of Brown, holy cross and Iona and losing to teams like Valpo.

You’re allowed to be proud of the team you root for. I promise it’s more fun
13 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

If you think Bryant is a cupcake you clearly havent watched BBall in two years. Good win. Almost beat Syracuse last year by 1. And was a covid breakout from winning the NEC last year. And yes Grasso has the most punchable annoying antics from a coach I have seen in quite sometime. He makes Hurley look tame. Grasso complained almost every call
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

We’re not a blue chip. These are good wins. Always have been. Always will be.

Sometimes I swear people on this forum think in the Danny Hurley years we were steam rolling any team that walked through those doors. The same years we made the tournament under DH we were squeaking out single digit wins over the likes of Brown, holy cross and Iona and losing to teams like Valpo.

You’re allowed to be proud of the team you root for. I promise it’s more fun
Sorry, completely disagree. The A10 has been a top conference for many years, You think beating Bryant is a feather in the cap? Cmon. Beating Kansas or Duke or Kentucky is a great win. Beating Bryant? Cmon. We beat a cupcake tonight. Nothing less.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

sevegny7 wrote: 2 years ago If you think Bryant is a cupcake you clearly havent watched BBall in two years. Good win. Almost beat Syracuse last year by 1. And was a covid breakout from winning the NEC last year. And yes Grasso has the most punchable annoying antics from a coach I have seen in quite sometime. He makes Hurley look tame. Grasso complained almost every call
Bryant is a feckin cupcake.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Winning by 19 against a decent team makes it hard to complain about the little things.

So I won't ha ha. Anyway, there's more good than bad. And that's good.

Overall an encouraging start to the season.

Bryant isn't a powerhouse of course, but there are many worse teams out there.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Good win for URI. I don't want to overreact to two games against lesser opponents, but I love what Cox is doing. Team defense is better and no more chuck and duck from three.
  • Opponents shot 44% from the field last year against URI, through two games URI limiting opponents to 30% shooting. Huge improvement but need to see the defense maintain a high level as the opponents improve.
  • URI is 2-0 for the first time in the Cox era.
  • Through two games, URI has attempted just 19 three pointers. URI attempted 19+ three pointers in 10 of 25 games last year under Cox. Again, credit to Cox for identifying the issue and adjusting, but URI has to be ready to adjust when teams start to pack it in against us, so we don't end up exposed like Ben Simmons.
4 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

sevegny7 wrote: 2 years ago If you think Bryant is a cupcake you clearly havent watched BBall in two years. Good win. Almost beat Syracuse last year by 1. And was a covid breakout from winning the NEC last year. And yes Grasso has the most punchable annoying antics from a coach I have seen in quite sometime. He makes Hurley look tame. Grasso complained almost every call
That's what you can think. Tell that to Syracuse then. Who they lead the whole way against last year. But it's okay your showing your true lack of Bball knowledge.
5 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Given the schedule, Rhody has no chance of an at large- so this win means very little as far as any kind of resume builder. Sure Bryant may be a conference champ- then they’ll be seeded a 15 or 16 in the dance.
Fwiw Bryant’s NET was 144 last year.
Last edited by Rhodyram 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I guess if you say it enough times, it will be true?
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The key is to keep improving as the season goes along.

Especially true later in the season, when we play conference foes a second time.

That's what will really tell us about this team and staff.
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

sevegny7 wrote: 2 years ago
That's what you can think. Tell that to Syracuse then. Who they lead the whole way against last year. But it's okay your showing your true lack of Bball knowledge.
See, this is where we are. It's like Baron 2.0. Fans like you trying to tell fans like me that Bryant is a good basketball team. It's comedy. Bryant is not a good basketball team. Keep thinking that, K?
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

DC_Rams wrote: 2 years ago
I guess if you say it enough times, it will be true?
Not will be...is.
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

See, this is where we are. It's like Baron 2.0. Fans like you trying to tell fans like me that Bryant is a good basketball team. It's comedy. Bryant is not a good basketball team. Keep thinking that, K?

Lol okay dude you have no clue what your talking about. The players on the teams make them cupcakes or not. Not just that they play for Bryant.

That might be the most rediculous take. They could have the best players ever but no if they play for Bryant they are cupcakes lol

Bryant isnt the best team to ever play or our best win ever but if you think they are a cupcake you need to do more research.
Last edited by sevegny7 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

A lotta negativity here for no reason. Blowout win, where they defended hard as shit and shot really well, idk what more you people want. Love the start to the season
4 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Rhodyram wrote: 2 years ago Given the schedule, Rhody has no chance of an at large- so this win means very little as far as any kind of resume builder. Sure Bryant may be a conference champ- then they’ll be seeded a 15 or 16 in the dance.
I do not really get this line of thinking. Given the schedule, they will need to win more games then if they had a tougher schedule bit it is still achievable.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

When you are bigger, faster, deeper and more athletic, you take it to the opponent the way URI did tonight. Good coaching job by Cox. Nit pick this win you Cox haters.
3 x
NCAAs or Bust!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Didn't we exhibition against Bryant a few years ago?
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

URI played pretty well over the final 12 minutes to turn a close game in to a blowout . very good defensive effort and the twins dominated the paint .
the two big threes by Ish 1 i believe were the turning point in the game . On the negative side I think the FT shooting has to improve a little and
the twins have to become more reliable at the line and add Martin to that comment as well. Very impressed with the full 40 minutes of tough D .
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

I swear people on this board are rputing for anything and everything negative so they can say " See I told you so they suck and Cox is bad."
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Lol okay dude you have no clue what your talking about. The players on the teams make them cupcakes or not. Not just that they play for Bryant.

That might be the most rediculous take. They could have the best players ever but no if they play for Bryant they are cupcakes lol

Bryant isnt the best team to ever play or our best win ever but if you think they are a cupcake you need to do more research.
They are a cupcake. Stop making Bryant a powerhouse basketball team. Hell, they would have been an exhibition team a few years ago.
1 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

Bluedude, Just be happy and say something nice about the team you root for. Enjoy a win. Really, it's ok.
You don't have to jump up and down, but at least crack a smile.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

That was a blast. I love being back at the Ryan Center!! That was possible the best coaching I’ve seen from Cox in the second half. Bryant has some very good players and Grasso had them ready. Ish and Bassy put the team on their backs when things were close in the second half. Man Bassy is such a nice surprise.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rhodyblue12 wrote: 2 years ago Bluedude, Just be happy and say something nice about the team you root for. Enjoy a win. Really, it's ok.
I am happy for the win. Always. Just not having people say Bryant is a formidable opponent. That is never happening. Duke, West Virginia, Michigan State, Seton Hall? Sure. But Bryant? Never.
0 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

Great 2nd half. Nice win. 2-0! Let's go!
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Bryant is a local program with a competitive team. We should still never lose to them.
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

Nice second half, loved the crowd energy. Hopefully everyone is now over the 3 turnovers that Thomas had against the Johnnies. Kid looks like he will be a steady contributor.
2 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

luke wrote: 2 years ago URI played pretty well over the final 12 minutes to turn a close game in to a blowout . very good defensive effort and the twins dominated the paint .
the two big threes by Ish 1 i believe were the turning point in the game . On the negative side I think the FT shooting has to improve a little and
the twins have to become more reliable at the line and add Martin to that comment as well. Very impressed with the full 40 minutes of tough D .
I was disappointed in the defense in the first half. Way too many good 3 opportunities for Bryant. Would have thought the scouting report would have said, switch on picks, stay near three point line, never help near the basket, let the Mitchell’ control players in the paint and funnel them to the inside. It is exactly what they did in the second half-

Not sure why it took an entire half to make the adjustment.

Wondering
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

rhodyblue12 wrote: 2 years ago Bluedude, Just be happy and say something nice about the team you root for. Enjoy a win. Really, it's ok.
I am happy for the win. Always. Just not having people say Bryant is a formidable opponent. That is never happening. Duke, West Virginia, Michigan State, Seton Hall? Sure. But Bryant? Never.
High majors are not the only tough teams in the country. Bryant is not a team we should lose to, but Grasso has built a competitive program and team. They played us very tough until we wore them down. Solid win.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

Just wanted to pop in to applaud the students - who have showed up in huge numbers for the first two games & have absolutely made a difference in each.

I was extremely worried about student attendance this season with 2 classes on campus that had never been to a Rhody game. Thankfully we’ve had two competitive games that have hopefully hooked them all for the season & life.

Also; it’s been great to see all of you back at the Ryan Center. I missed the atmosphere & all of you more than I care to admit.

Now let’s keep rolling! GO RHODY!!!’
16 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

EZBuckets wrote: 2 years ago Just wanted to pop in to applaud the students - who have showed up in huge numbers for the first two games & have absolutely made a difference in each.

I was extremely worried about student attendance this season with 2 classes on campus that had never been to a Rhody game. Thankfully we’ve had two competitive games that have hopefully hooked them all for the season & life.

Also; it’s been great to see all of you back at the Ryan Center. I missed the atmosphere & all of you more than I care to admit.

Now let’s keep rolling! GO RHODY!!!’
The energy was electric tonight. I had a blast
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Nothing like being there in person.lot of emotion from both sides. Played like a rivalry game with coaches chirping at each other and other teams players.(Grasso was intense to say the least. Even Cox pretty feisty) Players chirping at each other. Students reminded me of the old Keaney days taunting the opponent. Give rhody credit. They imposed their physical dominance the last 10 minutes of the game crashing the boards on both ends. Unlike the first half where Bryant had numerous open looks from 3, very few uncontested 3's in 2nd half. Actually the surge began beating them at their own game with ish hitting 2 3's and Thomas 1.. Walker much better tonight. Did a credible job covering quicker players and attacked the offensive glass in 2nd half.. keep playing with this intensity and stay healthy who knows could be a fun year..
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago Stone Freeman is a natural. He's not long for Yurview.
I was thinking the exact same thing Pete , kid gonna be on a major network soon
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Definitely a nice win over a team expected to be a top team in their conference

Hats off to the defense holding their shooting under 30 % definitely improved over last season

I like how we kept a guy at middle of free throw line to attack the zone well done

Turnovers are a concern but good to be 2-0
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Much better defense on their 3 point shooters in the 2nd half. In the first half, we were running at their shooters, way out of control, going for their pump fakes and taking themselves out of the play. Someone else had to help leaving another one of their 3 point shooters wide open. Bryant had no problem finding the open guy when we were doing this. Definitely cleaned it up a bit in the 2nd half. Nice to be 2-0. I stayed to watch some of the women's game too. Total dominance. They could do some special things this year. We can really shoot the hell out of the ball. Oh yeah, we won by 64 points.
1 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Rhodyram wrote: 2 years ago Given the schedule, Rhody has no chance of an at large- so this win means very little as far as any kind of resume builder. Sure Bryant may be a conference champ- then they’ll be seeded a 15 or 16 in the dance.
Huh? So if they come in 2 in conference and win 23 games- they have no chance
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

My favorite was the two calls he complained the most about were video reviewed. My guy, the officials just watched it multiple times from multiple angles in slo-mo. I think they'd know better than you.
3 x