Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread post by theblueram »

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago
theblueram wrote: 2 years ago It's actually been a good way to discuss politics with my daughter and her friends. I tell them in Florida kids don't wear masks in school because they have a Republican Governor. You have to wear a mask because you have a Democrat Governor. Starting to hit home. I think they get it. They can all vote in 2024.
One could argue that kids in Florida don't have to wear a mask because their Republican governor cares more about business than their well being and kids in RI have to wear a mask because there Democrat governor does care about their well being.

Also, Mass has a Republican governor and kids there have to wear masks, so that kind of puts a dent on your argument.
You are kidding, right? It has been scientifically proven this does not affect kids. So is it science, or your fear?
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Can we keep the mask and Covid themes within the Covid thread please?? Thank you.
2 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

Masks, covid, et al are directly related to RC in-game experience - issues and upgrades.
0 x
:lol:
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

No time to go through the relevant threads before heading off to the game, so perhaps someone has already answered this question. Do we know if there will be a $15 parking fee in the Plains lot, like there has been for football? At least for the opener against Bryant, which I attended.
1 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 2 years ago Masks, covid, et al are directly related to RC in-game experience - issues and upgrades.
This is true, but a lot of the posts have become more general than the Ryan Center experience and they are the same as in the Covid thread.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

JimSidd wrote: 2 years ago
KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 2 years ago Masks, covid, et al are directly related to RC in-game experience - issues and upgrades.
This is true, but a lot of the posts have become more general than the Ryan Center experience and they are the same as in the Covid thread.
The posts go away when the governor ends the emergency order on covid.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

……..I do not know about any parking charges for Rhody hoop games……..but what I do know and suspect the outrage and push back would be huge……..even though I have suggested parking fees to a RC parking lot near you is probably in the works………as program revenue enhancement………are there really parking fees for football?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
Taylor Swift wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

They very well could keep it at $8, but I’m expecting an increase.

I am expecting one also. I know you don't *have* to have a beer or wine during a game, but any type of refreshment isn't unreasonable at a sporting event. Perhaps any increased cost in drinks is most likely a combo of inflation plus the anticipation of lost revenue for the season (plus no revenue for last season).
The one thing that hasn't increased in price. Beer. At least at the liquor store.
As we roll into the holidays I will be disappointed if there's any kind of vodka shortage.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

My goal is to post a thread about basketball tonight. Is that allowed?
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago It's actually been a good way to discuss politics with my daughter and her friends. I tell them in Florida kids don't wear masks in school because they have a Republican Governor. You have to wear a mask because you have a Democrat Governor. Starting to hit home. I think they get it. They can all vote in 2024.
One could argue that kids in Florida don't have to wear a mask because their Republican governor cares more about business than their well being and kids in RI have to wear a mask because there Democrat governor does care about their well being.

Also, Mass has a Republican governor and kids there have to wear masks, so that kind of puts a dent on your argument.
You are kidding, right? It has been scientifically proven this does not affect kids. So is it science, or your fear?
You could also tell her that since January when vaccines became prevalent for all of 2021 you are something like 3-4x more likely to die of Covid if you live in a red state (ie lower vax rates and less mask prevalence). If you want to not politicize it and speak in facts those are the facts Blue.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago

You could also tell her that since January when vaccines became prevalent for all of 2021 you are something like 3-4x more likely to die of Covid if you live in a red state (ie lower vax rates and less mask prevalence). If you want to not politicize it and speak in facts those are the facts Blue.
She's vaxxed, I'm vaxxed aren't we all vaxxed at this point? Just saying, 90% vaxxed in RI yet we still have kids in masks. In school? Kids in school are the only ones wearing a mask. Like I said prior, these kids are voting in two years, and they are not voting for democrats.
3 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

! Message from: ATPTourFan
Keep this thread on topic. Only warning before posts are deleted.
8 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago I went to the PPAC last week. There was a stand outside where they checked vaccination card and license. It took 10 seconds (or less) for both my wife and I to get through. This isn't going to be a problem. Regarding getting wanded, they haven't been doing that for football games. Have they stopped doing it? I go early anyway, so I'm positive it won't take me more than a couple of minutes to get in.

I never once ever got my bag checked or wanted for a football game. It's only for basketball. It's a terribly run process and now women can no longer bring bags. It has to be clear or a clutch. That's really a disservice to mothers who are bringing young children and need diapers, etc.
why the heck did the make this a thing? My wife is gonna be super annoyed. We are already boycotting this season due to ridiculous Covid protocols, she will now add this to the list. They keep this up, we may never be going back.

but seriously, what are they trying to keep out of the arena that they are not allowing women to bring their bags/purses inside? I have successfully snuck plastic pints of liquor into almost every stadium I've been to (when I was young and dumb) by hiding it in my waste band or jacket pocket, what else would they want to keep out?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Matunuck Oyster Bar had a presence at the Ryan Center tonight based off the Ryan Center's social media. Definitely great to have local flavors in the arena
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 2 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago I went to the PPAC last week. There was a stand outside where they checked vaccination card and license. It took 10 seconds (or less) for both my wife and I to get through. This isn't going to be a problem. Regarding getting wanded, they haven't been doing that for football games. Have they stopped doing it? I go early anyway, so I'm positive it won't take me more than a couple of minutes to get in.

I never once ever got my bag checked or wanted for a football game. It's only for basketball. It's a terribly run process and now women can no longer bring bags. It has to be clear or a clutch. That's really a disservice to mothers who are bringing young children and need diapers, etc.
why the heck did the make this a thing? My wife is gonna be super annoyed. We are already boycotting this season due to ridiculous Covid protocols, she will now add this to the list. They keep this up, we may never be going back.

but seriously, what are they trying to keep out of the arena that they are not allowing women to bring their bags/purses inside? I have successfully snuck plastic pints of liquor into almost every stadium I've been to (when I was young and dumb) by hiding it in my waste band or jacket pocket, what else would they want to keep out?
This was the other reason we gave for rolling over tix (wouldn't consider it a boycott...just not the experience I want to pay money for) and if it's the same next year on the bag thing, we may not be back either.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago Matunuck Oyster Bar had a presence at the Ryan Center tonight based off the Ryan Center's social media. Definitely great to have local flavors in the arena
……..need three all-the-way in the RC……..
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

JimSidd wrote: 2 years ago No time to go through the relevant threads before heading off to the game, so perhaps someone has already answered this question. Do we know if there will be a $15 parking fee in the Plains lot, like there has been for football? At least for the opener against Bryant, which I attended.
Plains lot is free.
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

I thought the Newport Propane minute of mayhem went by the boards when it wasn’t rolled out at the under 8 time out in the second half. I was glad to see they did roll it out at the under 4 time out …. actually, it was after the Cox special … the time out after a made basket, but I won’t get into that here. Point is the minute of mayhem is still active.
1 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Over 5,000 in attendance for the BU opener.
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

Parked in the Keaney lot & got to the Ryan Center about 15 min before tip-off. Saw a giant line & almost pissed myself but thank thankfully realized that was the line for the students to get in. Took 2 seconds to go through security & show picture of passport on my phone. Inside the only time I saw anyone get spoken to regarding masks was when two people (father/son?...assuming it was blueram :lol: ) by the rhody bench right on the floor didn't have a mask on at all. After about 6 or 7 minutes into the game someone came by to talk to them. Then they had it on the rest of the night.

All in all was great to be back in the stands to see Rhody basketball. Only negative was I couldn't get any type of reception at all while inside. I even tried going into the lobby at halftime & nothing. I like checking the box score during the timeouts to see the stats & couldn't. That part is super frustrating.
3 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

The WiFi thing is so funny bc on the PC board they claim the same issues persist at the Dunk.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

It must be a location thing. I sit in the front row of 305 and had good WiFi all evening.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
thatRamBand
Kenny Green

Unread post by thatRamBand »

Completely possible it's section-based. In 203 the wifi was useless, and I was surprised to have zero reception from my mobile network. I remember never having the same issue when I played in the band. Maybe the overhang really kills the signal.
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

thatRamBand wrote: 2 years ago Completely possible it's section-based. In 203 the wifi was useless, and I was surprised to have zero reception from my mobile network. I remember never having the same issue when I played in the band. Maybe the overhang really kills the signal.
I think you are right about where you are sitting. Usually I sit in 306 & generally it works pretty solid. Was down in 108 yesterday & had zero reception
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

spookydog wrote: 2 years ago
thatRamBand wrote: 2 years ago Completely possible it's section-based. In 203 the wifi was useless, and I was surprised to have zero reception from my mobile network. I remember never having the same issue when I played in the band. Maybe the overhang really kills the signal.
I think you are right about where you are sitting. Usually I sit in 306 & generally it works pretty solid. Was down in 108 yesterday & had zero reception
So what I'm hearing is the lower section of the Ryan Center is a giant Faraday cage.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago Matunuck Oyster Bar had a presence at the Ryan Center tonight based off the Ryan Center's social media. Definitely great to have local flavors in the arena
Do people have to keep their masks on as they're slurping down oysters at their seats?
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago

This was the other reason we gave for rolling over tix (wouldn't consider it a boycott...just not the experience I want to pay money for) and if it's the same next year on the bag thing, we may not be back either.
Out of every venue I've been to (middle school basketball games, concert venue, pro sports) the Ryan Center by far has the most parochial mentality. Is it Spectrum who's this whacked, or is it someone in the school administration? There seem to be more and more rules every year, and this goes beyond Covid, obviously.

I agree with you, it's like the Ryan Center keeps adding on more ridiculous protocols year over year. I doubt they've ever had any serious issues? I know it's better to be safe than sorry, but I can't bring an envelope-sized bag into the RC, I can't bring my wallet? It's so bizarre. If people are shelling out thousands of dollars per year for seats, they should be given a reasonable expectation of respect, which I feel is NOT being done. It's at the point where nothing is really all that fan-friendly. - Ticket Lady, for example, she's always in action and people are ALWAYS in the right seats. Who the heck is in charge of this operation? It's borderline embarrassing where I wouldn't even want to bother making plans with someone who's a more casual fan to have them come watch a game.

Are they going to bring the K-9 crew in next and sniff us all next year?
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Out of every venue I've been to (middle school basketball games, concert venue, pro sports) the Ryan Center by far has the most parochial mentality. Is it Spectrum who's this whacked, or is it someone in the school administration? There seem to be more and more rules every year, and this goes beyond Covid, obviously.

I agree with you, it's like the Ryan Center keeps adding on more ridiculous protocols year over year. I doubt they've ever had any serious issues? I know it's better to be safe than sorry, but I can't bring an envelope-sized bag into the RC, I can't bring my wallet? It's so bizarre. If people are shelling out thousands of dollars per year for seats, they should be given a reasonable expectation of respect, which I feel is NOT being done. It's at the point where nothing is really all that fan-friendly. - Ticket Lady, for example, she's always in action and people are ALWAYS in the right seats. Who the heck is in charge of this operation? It's borderline embarrassing where I wouldn't even want to bother making plans with someone who's a more casual fan to have them come watch a game.

………careful, don’t give them any ideas……..
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

RI better hurry up with that legal weed then.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Do people have to keep their masks on as they're slurping down oysters at their seats?
Oyster Bar was there for the Exhibition Game too.
It’s on the 2nd floor at the end by the video scoreboard.
They are advertising on the scoreboard during the game too
Pretty good idea and fun to watch people having lobster rolls in their seats. Very New England like and creative thinking.
Plus Matunuck Oyster Bar has been a good sponsor for URI for years.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Bos8 wrote: 2 years ago Over 5,000 in attendance for the BU opener.
5,133 / 7657 = 67% capacity

It did not look like that to me. I would have guessed 50% or lower

Student section was full but not the student section in the 300 level.

But I’ll take 5,133 and assume it’s right for a home opener after Covid.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago

Ramster, I think you are a lock to win the attendance prediction.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago

Only if we keep winning. If we go .500 or less in record like last season my guess is the students stop showing up.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I believe there were over 5000 for this game a lot more than believe there were over 4000 for the JWU game.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago

Only if we keep winning. If we go .500 or less in record like last season my guess is the students stop showing up.
This problem is that the students won't be there for 6 of the games, one on Thanksgiving weekend and 5 during break. That's 40% of the games. That's a lot.
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

I guess they are going to play the attendance is better than that it really was game again this year to make it look like people are attending the games. They have done this in the past where I have been at games that looked to have 3000 and report it at 5,000 fans. My friend sent me a video and there is no way 5133 in attendance. He said it looked be around 4,000 or a little more than that and was due to a higher than expected turnout for the student section. One of my friends whose family always has a high amount of tickets every year had 10 alone and none of them attended. I'm pretty sure these are some of the things that they count to their numbers.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Does Cox have an attendance clause in his contract? I think Hurley did. I wonder if that factors into attendance shenanigans.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

attendance is always tickets distributed (sold/comp). it's never scanned tickets at the door.

that's any league, any level, any concert, any any that counts attendance.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 2 years ago attendance is always tickets distributed (sold/comp). it's never scanned tickets at the door.

Not true. All venues don’t count exactly the same. This has been discussed numerous times here over the years. I know you are new to the board but it’s many times discussed.
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 2 years ago attendance is always tickets distributed (sold/comp). it's never scanned tickets at the door.

Not true. All venues don’t count exactly the same. This has been discussed numerous times here over the years. I know you are new to the board but it’s many times discussed.
Far from new, been lurking in the shadows for a while.

I was been in the 'biz' for 12 years. Any company who's interested in making $$ reports on distributed ticket inventory. That's how you help sell more tickets, packages, seasons, corporate sponsorships, ect.

URI: you want to buy a sign on the bowl ring or sponsor the 60 seconds of mayhem?
Prospective sponsor: maybe, how much? what's your attendance? how many eyes are going to see it?
URI: we're close to sold out every night, 7000+, have to get you tickets early.

or

URI: you want to buy a sign on the bowl ring or sponsor the 60 seconds of mayhem?
Prospective sponsor: maybe, how much? what's your attendance? how many eyes are going to see it?
URI: capacity is 7000+ but only 3000 people actually show up.
2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Oyster Bar was there for the Exhibition Game too.
It’s on the 2nd floor at the end by the video scoreboard.
They are advertising on the scoreboard during the game too
Pretty good idea and fun to watch people having lobster rolls in their seats. Very New England like and creative thinking.
Plus Matunuck Oyster Bar has been a good sponsor for URI for years.
Oh, I'm not questioning the MOB sponsorship. Perry is an excellent businessman and person. I have family and friends that go way back with Perry back to when he was a student. It's more like the rationality of having to be required to wear a mask whilst eating an oyster.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

……..the MOB lobby rolls are $22………just saying, looked pretty good……..imagine getting a lobby roll and a cold beer together at the same concession counter……..or for heavens sake, take both or in your seat…….Maybe I will add that to my bucket wish list………Go Rhody…….
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago ……..the MOB lobby rolls are $22………just saying, looked pretty good……..imagine getting a lobby roll and a cold beer together at the same concession counter……..or for heavens sake, take both or in your seat…….Maybe I will add that to my bucket wish list………Go Rhody…….
Reasonable price, given the shitshow happening with food prices.
2 x
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

Made it to my first in-person game of the season tonight and I had the most incredible (Verizon) cell service from my seat. (Didn't even need to TRY the WiFi.) It was so good that I had to shut my phone off because I didn't want to be distracted by all of the texts and push alerts that were causing my phone to buzz. I guess I've become too accustomed to sitting in a black hole for two hours.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

……is this where the complaints about game coverage, this year, belongs?……..just really bad you apparently cannot get radio games W/O paid steaming service…….yes Boomer here…….last nite Steve said Stone Freeman would handle the call for the games this weekend……not sure if meant on WRIU or on the regular station?…….Steve referenced contract requirements for he calling the Elon/URI football game Saturday…….any TV for the weekend games in Daytona?……..any clarification here you all can provide?……
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago ……is this where the complaints about game coverage, this year, belongs?……..just really bad you apparently cannot get radio games W/O paid steaming service…….yes Boomer here…….last nite Steve said Stone Freeman would handle the call for the games this weekend……not sure if meant on WRIU or on the regular station?…….Steve referenced contract requirements for he calling the Elon/URI football game Saturday…….any TV for the weekend games in Daytona?……..any clarification here you all can provide?……
Yes...from what's been posted on the board recently, the live coverage certainly is a steamer.... :lol:
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Speaking of radio, Don hasn't been on the broadcast of any of the games yet. It's been Tim O'Shea and last night it was Chris Disano. Steve has said that they are filling in, so I assume Don will be back at some point.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago ……is this where the complaints about game coverage, this year, belongs?……..just really bad you apparently cannot get radio games W/O paid steaming service…….yes Boomer here…….last nite Steve said Stone Freeman would handle the call for the games this weekend……not sure if meant on WRIU or on the regular station?…….Steve referenced contract requirements for he calling the Elon/URI football game Saturday…….any TV for the weekend games in Daytona?……..any clarification here you all can provide?……
Steve is covering the football game on the radio in NC Saturday, so Stone Freeman is going to cover the basketball games in his place this weekend in FL. That won't be the WRIU coverage, that will be the B101 coverage Stone will be calling.

It appears the games will be on Flo Sports
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

anyone else think the song played during the intro video when the lights are shut off stinks?? Adds zero energy,actually think it sucks energy out of the building….I’m sure the team picks it and know it’s gonna be rap/R&B which is definitely fine but that song is just monotone mumbling
1 x
Clapton is God
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

RhodyFanNotAlum wrote: 2 years ago Made it to my first in-person game of the season tonight and I had the most incredible (Verizon) cell service from my seat. (Didn't even need to TRY the WiFi.) It was so good that I had to shut my phone off because I didn't want to be distracted by all of the texts and push alerts that were causing my phone to buzz. I guess I've become too accustomed to sitting in a black hole for two hours.
That's great. I was sitting in 205 and had practically no reception with my Verizon service. Maddening!
0 x
Mobley was fouled.