Prediction on starting 5 to open the season

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Prediction on starting 5 to open the season

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago Just revisiting this as we get closer.

Most if us agree on Shep, Ish, Walker, and Makhel.

The question is who gets the nod for 5th starter to open: El-Amin or Martin.

I still have a feeling it's Martin but wouldn't be surprised if Cox goes with El-Amin, especially if he impresses in practice.

Remember last season of the returnees we started Makhi and Carey along with Walker and Shep.
I think El Amin. Martin is a versatile 6th man.
My guess is Martin gets benefit of the doubt to start the season. On a short leash though
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

EA, Ish, Shep, Makhel, Makhi ?
Very interesting, I was way off if this is what Cox goes with, I had Martin and Walker.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago EA, Ish, Shep, Makhel, Makhi ?
Very interesting, I was way off if this is what Cox goes with, I had Martin and Walker.
Never bought into the Martin starting 5 talk, extremely average player. El Ahim would seem to give much more offense.

Very very surprised Makhi started, thought Walker showed more than enough last year to start.
0 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago EA, Ish, Shep, Makhel, Makhi ?
Never bought into the Martin starting 5 talk, extremely average player. El Ahim would seem to give much more offense.

Very very surprised Makhi started, thought Walker showed more than enough last year to start.
I thought Martin because of being a glue guy, good defender, saw improvement in his offense, and liked his size at the wing.
Not sure what to expect from EA coming from Ball State. Also wanted to add more size at that position.

Guess this is why I am not a basketball coach.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I doubt the starters are set in stone. These scrimmages are what coaches use to evaluate such things.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Predict the starting 5 in the 4th year of a head coach? Seriously? Can't believe this is a topic.
0 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago Predict the starting 5 in the 4th year of a head coach? Seriously? Can't believe this is a topic.
Look at the landscape of college basketball, due to the amount of transfers this is not an uncommon topic with a lot of fam bases.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Dre3000 wrote: 2 years ago
theblueram wrote: 2 years ago Predict the starting 5 in the 4th year of a head coach? Seriously? Can't believe this is a topic.
Look at the landscape of college basketball, due to the amount of transfers this is not an uncommon topic with a lot of fam bases.
It really is quite sad. Not sure it's sustainable.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago I doubt the starters are set in stone. These scrimmages are what coaches use to evaluate such things.
I am sure the starting 5 will probably change as the year goes along.

This was just a guess to see who Cox will start to open the season. Obviously if Cox starts with this lineup against BU, I didn't do very well on my prediction.
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Yeah. I feel like this topic is great for the off-season. Gives us something to mull over while no games are being played. One (small) step closer to the in game action. :lol:
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Cox said the same 5 will start Thursday....Shep, Ish X 2 and the twins.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Hopefully Walker still gets at least 25 minutes per game he deserves that
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Walker cannot be happy about losing is starting spot.
0 x
Go Rhody
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

reef wrote: 2 years ago Hopefully Walker still gets at least 25 minutes per game he deserves that
Cox said he has 80 minutes to split between the twins and Twan. He will certainly get 25-30 a game.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

DC_Rams wrote: 2 years ago
reef wrote: 2 years ago Hopefully Walker still gets at least 25 minutes per game he deserves that
Cox said he has 80 minutes to split between the twins and Twan. He will certainly get 25-30 a game.
He should get 30+
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Given that the Mitchells foul rate last year was greater than 5 per 40 minutes (6.2 and 7.8), I suspect that Walker will get the chance to play 30+ minutes often, especially since the next option would be Samb or a small ball lineup with Malik Martin at the 4, or something like that.
0 x
Dowtinsavestheworld
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Dowtinsavestheworld »

I’m fine with both Mitchell’s starting. Give them a chance to see how they play together. Makel really impressed me with his progression last year.

We will be as good as our bigs take us this year, regardless of which of these 3 play the most. We haven’t had this talent at the 4 or 5 since the first Hurley NCAA birth.

Having size creates all kinds of mismatches and gets us more possessions. Now whether this team can shoot well enough is another story.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 2 years ago
He should get 30+
I bet he's around 25 minutes a game. I don't agree with it but that's my prediction.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago Given that the Mitchells foul rate last year was greater than 5 per 40 minutes (6.2 and 7.8), I suspect that Walker will get the chance to play 30+ minutes often, especially since the next option would be Samb or a small ball lineup with Malik Martin at the 4, or something like that.
Exactly. This “issue” will figure itself out. Also probably a perk that these 3 can play loose not worrying about some lackluster big backing them up. Play hard during your minutes and trust the guys around you.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago
SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago Given that the Mitchells foul rate last year was greater than 5 per 40 minutes (6.2 and 7.8), I suspect that Walker will get the chance to play 30+ minutes often, especially since the next option would be Samb or a small ball lineup with Malik Martin at the 4, or something like that.
Exactly. This “issue” will figure itself out. Also probably a perk that these 3 can play loose not worrying about some lackluster big backing them up. Play hard during your minutes and trust the guys around you.
Have you watched modern basketball lately? 3 pt shooting. Bigs down low have no defense against 3 pt shooting. This team better defend the 3 or it's a long season.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago
Have you watched modern basketball lately? 3 pt shooting. Bigs down low have no defense against 3 pt shooting. This team better defend the 3 or it's a long season.
……..or shoot lights out from three point shooting……and play seem in your face team defense……
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Here we are in February with the same starting line up in every game except 1 game with Sheppard injured and Thomas filled in.

In all my years of watching URI basketball (or most any team for that matter) I've never seen where every player in a starting 5 has been desired by multiple posters to be on the bench instead of starting.

Seen where multiple posters have said both Mitchell's should not start
or Only 1 Mitchell should start
or Sheppard not start
or El-Amin not start
or Leggett not start

Yet all 5 have started from Game 1
Last edited by ramster 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Cox should seriously consider adjusting his lineups.

Shepard and Makhel should be the consistent starts. After that, I think Walker, Carey and Thomas deserve a shot.
0 x
GO RAMS
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Here we are in February with the same starting line up in every game except 1 game with Sheppard injured and Thomas filled in.

In all my years of watching URI basketball (or most any team for that matter) I've never seen where every player in a starting 5 has been desired by multiple posters to be on the bench instead of starting.

Seen where both Mitchell's should not start
Only 1 Mitchell start
Sheppard not start
El-Amin not start
Leggett not start

Yet all 5 have started from Game 1
Yeah Ramster, I was thinking the same, probably because we have some interchangeable players that are also deserving.
A little surprised he hasn't changed things up a little.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I don't get why people are surprised by the rigidity of the starting lineup. What has happened, so far, that makes anyone think it's going to change? At least if the lineup and results stay the same...you won't feel like you missed anything if for some reason you can't watch a game.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Plain and Simple: SeBastian Thomas needs to play 30+ minutes a night the rest of the season

URI’s most important piece to the future deserves more playing time. Rookie guard SeBastian Thomas has not looked or played like he’s in his first season of college basketball. The poise, pace and confidence he exudes are traits of all-league players, ones capable to leading their teams to an A10 championship. Last week he started in place of injured Jeremy Sheppard. In 38 minutes, he dished out a career-high 7 dimes against just 2 turnovers while being guarded by Richmond fifth-year senior Jacob Gilyard, the NCAA’s all-time steals leader. Here’s a few quotes Cox said afterwards about Thomas:

“I expect to see that more regularly and consistently moving forward.”
“(He) runs our offense.”
“Took a hug step today.”

These comments would suggest Thomas will find himself on the floor more. Sheppard and Ish El-Amin are gone in two months and Jalen Carey is not a starting caliber player at this point. Ish Leggett is not a true point. Invest in the future while also giving the team the best chance to win.

1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I agree with Morey.
0 x
GO RAMS