2021-22 Schedule (top post is current)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Re: 2021-22 Schedule (top post is current)

Unread post by JimSidd »

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago Is the “secret” scrimmage with St John’s still scheduled to be played?
Still on for tomorrow, based on a reference I saw in a New York Post article about St John’s.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

…….looking forward to some “insider” super secret reports on the super secret scrimmage………Johnnies supposed to be better……..
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago …….looking forward to some “insider” super secret reports on the super secret scrimmage………Johnnies supposed to be better……..
Wonder who is going to post the extra secret box score to twitter?

Also, can we eventually play St John's in a real game? We like beating Big East teams
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago
section(105) wrote: 2 years ago …….looking forward to some “insider” super secret reports on the super secret scrimmage………Johnnies supposed to be better……..
Wonder who is going to post the extra secret box score to twitter?

Also, can we eventually play St John's in a real game? We like beating Big East teams
URI played St John's over 30 times from 1944 to 1980. They however have not met in a real game since 1980 when URI hosted them at the PCC. I was actually present for that game. St John's since joining the Big East basically stopped playing Rhody completely.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

I wouldn't take too much out of these scrimmages, I just hope no one gets injured.
In other not so secret scrimmage news:
Kent State beat the Bonnies, Lofton only played 10 minutes.
Rutgers beat UConn and Purdue lost to PC.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
I wouldn't take too much out of these scrimmages, I just hope no one gets injured.
And you’re allowed 10 personal fouls, so theres no need at all to take anything away from these scrimmages.

Might as well not even keep score.
0 x
Go Rhody
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Lmao PC won with Nate Watson playing 38 mins and 9 fouls hAhahahah
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rhodysurf wrote: 2 years ago
Yes
Interesting that the 5 PC starters: Watson, Horchler, Durham, Bynum, and Reeves all played over 30 minutes.
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Yes
Interesting that the 5 PC starters: Watson, Horchler, Durham, Bynum, and Reeves all played over 30 minutes.
That’s really dumb to do that in a scrimmage. That is exactly the time to play your bench players a lot to start to see what you have. They’re going to need at least two of those bench players to contribute if they want to do anything this year.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

JimSidd wrote: 2 years ago

Yes
That’s really dumb to do that in a scrimmage. That is exactly the time to play your bench players a lot to start to see what you have. They’re going to need at least two of those bench players to contribute if they want to do anything this year.
I agree and found that surprising.
I would be more interested to see what the bench players can contribute.

I guess Cooley wants to see how his starters will perform against outside competition, even though this isn't a true test.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Or Cooley is planning to play with a short bench and is getting his core in shape to play big minutes.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

No issue with it - One of the biggest criticism of Cooley in recent years was his inability to build a steady rotation early in the season. Glad he seems to have identified some resemblance of a rotation and he strengthened it during the scrimmage against legit competition and different game scenarios. That said I agree hard to take much from the actual result.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 2 years ago No issue with it - One of the biggest criticism of Cooley in recent years was his inability to build a steady rotation early in the season. Glad he seems to have identified some resemblance of a rotation and he strengthened it during the scrimmage against legit competition and different game scenarios. That said I agree hard to take much from the actual result.
I think his starting 5 is locked in, probably go with a rotation of 8/9.
None of the freshman received any minutes in that scrimmage.

I m not so sure about our starting 5, but the rotation of 8 is probably set.
Curious to see if Cox will mix up the line-ups and spread some of the minutes.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Currently concerned about traveling to any games.
If they continue to cancel games the same day, that does cause problems.
Especially with the costs involved.
I was also planning to attend the GM game 1/5 and booked hotel reservations, now not so sure.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

……..FWIW……..I received an offer, today, yes cold solicitation, for a group to buy the corporate rental suites(game tickets, food)for this seasons remaining games…….bad timing, clueless, lack of situational awareness……….all of the above??………amazing……..
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

At -2.15 SOS currently, URI is on pace for their softest schedule ever since joining the A10 conference. The last time URI posted a negative SOS in a year was 1988-89.

While Baron scheduled soft, even he never logged a negative SOS. Baron's lowest SOS came in 2004 when URI registered a 0.52 SOS.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sc ... de-island/
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Fuckin' 10-ply bud

0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Do I assume correctly that at 4:36 on Tuesday, we do not have a game scheduled for tomorrow?

If that is the case, the game at Davidson on Saturday will likely not be competitive.!

Does anyone know for sure what the Covid protocol is? X number of available players? (George Mason played Kansas with some out, but not us because __ out?? ___ X testing positive? Coach doesn't like the game and pulls out? (See Ed Cooley)

Whatever the rules -re they NCAA, Conference or individual schools.? Thanks
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

McRam wrote: 2 years ago Do I assume correctly that at 4:36 on Tuesday, we do not have a game scheduled for tomorrow?

If that is the case, the game at Davidson on Saturday will likely not be competitive.!

Does anyone know for sure what the Covid protocol is? X number of available players? (George Mason played Kansas with some out, but not us because __ out?? ___ X testing positive? Coach doesn't like the game and pulls out? (See Ed Cooley)

Yeah, doesn't look like it is happening, disappointing.
Saturday's game will probably be very ugly for us.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

McRam wrote: 2 years ago Do I assume correctly that at 4:36 on Tuesday, we do not have a game scheduled for tomorrow?

Answer: What is "a cluster"?
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

So I guess an argument can be made that we really are a Div II program..............................
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

McRam wrote: 2 years ago Davidson on Saturday will likely not be competitive.!
9-3 v 10-2 sounds like a barn-burner, must-see game.

Davidson is 10-0 when scoring 70+,
0-2 if they stay in the 60's. :shock:

They are (allegedly) playing tonight, we'll see.

The spread will probably be less than 10. hmmm...
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

If URI beats Davidson on Saturday then all of sudden things start to get awfully rosy Keaney Blue around here. After Davidson, URI has St.Joe's at home, at UMass and then back home for GWU. URI could quickly find themselves at 13-3 (4-0).
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

STC wrote: 2 years ago If URI beats Davidson on Saturday then all of sudden things start to get awfully rosy Keaney Blue around here. After Davidson, URI has St.Joe's at home, at UMass and then back home for GWU. URI could quickly find themselves at 13-3 (4-0).
Are we really talking about a 4 game win streak, including two on the road, one of them being the conference favorite?

I thought we were past the point of giving Rhody automatic W's, but I guess not.
1 x
Go Rhody
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
STC wrote: 2 years ago If URI beats Davidson on Saturday then all of sudden things start to get awfully rosy Keaney Blue around here. After Davidson, URI has St.Joe's at home, at UMass and then back home for GWU. URI could quickly find themselves at 13-3 (4-0).
Are we really talking about a 4 game win streak, including two on the road, one of them being the conference favorite?

I thought we were past the point of giving Rhody automatic W's, but I guess not.
Do you even read posts? I clearly led the post with "If". Second sentence contains "could".

Example: "If Rhody15 worked on reading comprehension, then he could become a good poster". This could happen, just like URI winning four in a row, but probably not...
5 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Dayton has been rescheduled for Monday February 14 at 9pm.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

STC wrote: 2 years ago

Do you even read posts? I clearly led the post with "If". Second sentence contains "could".

Example: "If Rhody15 worked on reading comprehension, then he could become a good poster". This could happen, just like URI winning four in a row, but probably not...
I like these "if-then" statements. I'll try a couple:

"If Jim Harrick had stayed at URI, then URI would've been given the death penalty by the NCAA for the amount of NCAA infractions that took place."
"If Brendan Malone had played Tom Garrick more as a sophomore, then Malone would've stayed longer due to URI's success and Tom Penders never would have been hired."

Now your turn...

"If David Cox had let Jeff Dowtin play the point instead of Fatts, then URI (fill in the blank)."
"If URI had beaten Oregon in the 2017 NCAA tournament, then I think that Rhody would have ...."
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago

"If Jim Harrick had stayed at URI, then URI would've been given the death penalty by the NCAA for the amount of NCAA infractions that took place."
"If Brendan Malone had played Tom Garrick more as a sophomore, then Malone would've stayed longer due to URI's success and Tom Penders never would have been hired."

Now your turn...

"If David Cox had let Jeff Dowtin play the point instead of Fatts, then URI (fill in the blank)."
"If URI had beaten Oregon in the 2017 NCAA tournament, then I think that Rhody would have ...."
Thank you, this was my exact point.

It's all irrelevant, these "if" statments.
0 x
Go Rhody
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

rhodyrudder wrote: 2 years ago
McRam wrote: 2 years ago Davidson on Saturday will likely not be competitive.!
9-3 v 10-2 sounds like a barn-burner, must-see game.

Davidson is 10-0 when scoring 70+,
0-2 if they stay in the 60's. :shock:

They are (allegedly) playing tonight, we'll see.

The spread will probably be less than 10. hmmm...
And they’re actually playing…
12’ to go and the Cats are up big.
Those numbers should continue…
Likely 11-0 when scoring 70.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Now your turn...

-Would have a consistent organized offense and Fatts would be disciplined and team oriented.
-Beat Michigan and got back to the elite 8
1 x
GO RAMS
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Now your turn...

I’ll bite.

URI plays Michigan in the sweet 16 and steviep123 watches with his Michigan alum wife who later get divorced due to the game - that atrocious offensive foul call against EC Matthews saved a marriage! :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Even though URI has not played a D1 team since December 13th, it should be noted that its NET ranking has been dropping as other teams play more games. Most of this is attributed to the performance of the OOC schedule's opponents. URI's ranking is in danger of falling outside the top 100 as it now sits at #97 for games played through 01/06/22. Rhody doesn't have much chance to improve its metrics with significant wins given it has just four games left versus teams that are currently ranked ahead of it.

*fixed date of Milwaukee game
Last edited by RF1 2 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago Even though URI has not played a D1 team since Decemeber 19th, it should be noted that its NET ranking has been dropping as other teams play more games. Mot of this is attributed to the performance of the OOC schedule's opponents. URI's ranking is in danger of falling outside the top 100 as it now sits at #97 for games played through 01/06/22. Rhody doesn't have much chance to improve its metrics with significant wins given it has just four games left versus teams that are currently ranked ahead of it.
That is why URI must win the A10 Tournament.

No surprise at all that the NET would drop, even without playing games because P6 Teams are playing themselves now.

As the other P6 Conferences play their Conference Games they will play relatively high NET opponents.

Non P6 Conferences will play their Conference Games against relatively low NET opponents.

The poor NET rankings for the A10 going into Conference play sealed the deal for a 1 bid league with poor odds outside shot at 2 bids. Nothing new here.

Only 4 A10 teams below 100. Ouch.

Dan Gavitt and team changed the formula for NET this year. Wonder what A10 rankings would be with last years formula compared to this years formula. Let me guess :roll: :roll:

D5CDF8DF-990B-48D3-BF83-446D47A1B345.png
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago Even though URI has not played a D1 team since Decemeber 19th, it should be noted that its NET ranking has been dropping as other teams play more games. Mot of this is attributed to the performance of the OOC schedule's opponents. URI's ranking is in danger of falling outside the top 100 as it now sits at #97 for games played through 01/06/22. Rhody doesn't have much chance to improve its metrics with significant wins given it has just four games left versus teams that are currently ranked ahead of it.
Actually, it has been since Dec.13th when we beat Milwaukee.

No one predicted URI getting an at large bid anyway this season, so does our NET ranking really matter.

The only chance we ever had is winning the A10T and that is a huge longshot.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Actually, it has been since Dec.13th when we beat Milwaukee.

No one predicted URI getting an at large bid anyway this season, so does our NET ranking really matter.

The only chance we ever had is winning the A10T and that is a huge longshot.
That is correct. Last game was Dec 13, not Dec 19

Last home game was Dec 7 vs Sacred Heart
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Our game at George Mason still not rescheduled.

GM game postponed with Richmond tonight.

With all these postponements throughout our conference not sure they will be able they will be able to play a full slate of A10 games.
it seems like the window of getting all these games played is starting to close.

Hearing similar talk with many other conferences.

At this point not sure if they would even consider delaying any postseason tournaments, probably doubtful.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago Our game at George Mason still not rescheduled.

With all these postponements throughout our conference not sure they will be able they will be able to play a full slate of A10 games.
it seems like the window of getting all these games played is starting to close.

At this point not sure if they would even consider delaying any postseason tournaments, probably doubtful.
Doesn't seem there's much desire to reschedule/make up games.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago

Small crowds with people scared or reluctant to go out
Look at the thousands of empty seats in the prime season ticket holder seating for even the most popular teams. Teams with poor records are seeing attendance way below normal.
Maryland announced 10,000 vs Wisconsin and place looked like 2000 in seats.
Limp to the Conference Tournaments and do the NCAA tourney seems the approach now
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 2 years ago

Look at the thousands of empty seats in the prime season ticket holder seating for even the most popular teams. Teams with poor records are seeing attendance way below normal.
Limp to the Conference Tournaments and do the NCAA tourney seems the approach now
Right. And on schedule, too. This "delaying/pushing the tourney back" stuff is absolute crazy talk.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Right. And on schedule, too. This "delaying/pushing the tourney back" stuff is absolute crazy talk.
Absolutely crazy talk.
You can easily determine conference tournament seeding with fewer conference games played.
You have contracts set up with arenas for conference tournaments and for NCAA games. These arenas can’t just reschedule concerts, hockey games, WWE, etc as dictated by college basketball.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Absolutely crazy talk.
You can easily determine conference tournament seeding with fewer conference games played.
You have contracts set up with arenas for conference tournaments and for NCAA games. These arenas can’t just reschedule concerts, hockey games, WWE, etc as dictated by college basketball.
This is somewhat true, but - There are also plenty of on-campus arenas with decent capacity that are typically dark or near-dark, once the basketball season is over. However, gate revenue is kind of a drop in the bucket for the NCAA at this point. The real money is the TV contract for the NCAA tournament, and those prime television dates are why they won't want to delay at all. I doubt they care if they have to go from a 20,000 to 15,000 seat arena because Tuscon can't cancel a monster truck rally the next week.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

By the time the Conference Tournaments and NCAA games get here in mid March the Omicron will be long gone.
2 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago By the time the Conference Tournaments and NCAA games get here in mid March the Omicron will be long gone.
So will the URI basketball teams chances of making the tournament or having a successful season. That is actually already gone. Come March the only thing that won’t be gone is the talk on whether or not Cox should be fired or if he gets his final year.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 2 years ago By the time the Conference Tournaments and NCAA games get here in mid March the Omicron will be long gone.
Right...but the frenzy and mask admonishment will be with us long after that. This gig.. having a cold with a name that you can test for...is here to stay.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago

Absolutely crazy talk.
This is somewhat true, but - There are also plenty of on-campus arenas with decent capacity that are typically dark or near-dark, once the basketball season is over. However, gate revenue is kind of a drop in the bucket for the NCAA at this point. The real money is the TV contract for the NCAA tournament, and those prime television dates are why they won't want to delay at all. I doubt they care if they have to go from a 20,000 to 15,000 seat arena because Tuscon can't cancel a monster truck rally the next week.
They sell tickets to the Final 4 and to the Regional Arenas at least a year in advance. These people are not all going to be flexible to change their dates.

Televison too.

Bottom line nothing is going to change in post season Conference Tournaments or in NCAA 68 Team Tournaments - more likely the whole thing cancels or they play without fans. Omicron will be vastly reduced by then.
0 x