Scrimmage

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: Scrimmage

Unread post by Jersey77 »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago We really don't know what the level of talent here is.

And do we get the most out of that talent?

At least we'll know soon enough.

The prediction contest should be quite interesting for this season lol.

Something tells me that 15-15 [which was the lowest number of wins predicted for last season] won't be the lowest this season.
Rambone 78
Do you have any early predictions?
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

You really care, Jersey?! Don’t Give him another reason to pout…
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Ignore him,77.

Right now, I think we'll start well, especially since the OOC schedule is pretty weak.

The issue will be as the season goes on, the trend under Cox is to get worse and worse.

The Bozeman factor could help, and it needs to.

I'm not going to give an exact prediction right now, but I think the talent level is sufficient to win 18-20 games, but as we know from the last 3 years, not likely to happen.

I just don't see a huge turnaround with this staff. Sorry. Just like some others here have said, prove me wrong [on the good side] and I'll be glad to eat some crow.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

DC_Rams wrote: 2 years ago You really care, Jersey?! Don’t Give him another reason to pout…
Anxiously awaiting your prediction…
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

URI’s opponents PPG has increased every year so far under Cox to 71.1 PPG this past year.

Worth noting that URI opponents never averaged over 70 PPG in any season during the Hurley era.

In three years under Cox, URI has shot an overall 30% from three and has never shot better than 68% from the FT line in a season.

In conclusion, we can’t shoot and our defense is regressing.
Last edited by STC 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

STC wrote: 2 years ago URI’s opponents PPG has increased every year so far under Cox to 71.1 PPG this past year.

Worth noting that URI opponents never averaged over 70 PPG in any season during the Hurley era.

In three years under Cox, URI has shot an overall 30% from three and has never shot better than 68% from the FT line in a season.

So we can’t shoot and our defense in regressing.
Other than that, there's no reason not to be wildly optimistic. :roll:
4 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

DC_Rams wrote: 2 years ago You really care, Jersey?! Don’t Give him another reason to pout…
Oh, just shut the hell up and go away.
5 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Ignore him,77.

Right now, I think we'll start well, especially since the OOC schedule is pretty weak.

The issue will be as the season goes on, the trend under Cox is to get worse and worse.

I'm not going to give an exact prediction right now, but I think the talent level is sufficient to win 18-20 games, but as we know from the last 3 years, not likely to happen.

I just don't see a huge turnaround with this staff. Sorry. Just like some others here have said, prove me wrong [on the good side] and I'll be glad to eat some crow.
We were 21-9 two years years ago, which last time I checked was more than your 18-20 win window. So your statement saying it’s not likely to happen because of the the last 3 years is just 100% false, seeing how it already has happened.

Can’t say I’m surprised with this post though, it’s par for the course.

Looking forward to more of these depressing posts once the season starts!
0 x
Go Rhody
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

Wow I am surprised at how optimistic alot of you seem to be based on that scrimmage. It is really hard to get a real feel for a team that is scrimmaging against each other, but I see a team that is going to have a hard time scoring the basketball. It was hard to watch how inefficient they are offensively. Seem to have pretty good size and athleticism, but I do not see how they score the ball with any consistency. Carey has not improved one iota, and I question how the offense is even run. They look like a team running offense before the advent of the 3 point shot. And that is not a good thing by any stretch. I mean there is always somebody on the block and the ball always goes in there on every play. That is not how the game is played today. The Court is never open for someone to attack the basket. Spread the court, drive and dish and either get to the basket or you pass it out for an open three pointer. It is like they are running an offense from the 80's. The paint is always congested, the ball does not seem to move and I would quite frankly not want to play in that offensive style today. How many big men play with their back to the basket today? And we have 3 that play like that? Not fun, nor efficient and it does not lead to efficient offensive basketball.

And Walker abused Mitchell in the low post. But I do not see that happening against most teams. I do not want to be overly negative here, but the next time Mitchell does not leave his feet for a ball fake will be the first. Rule #1 guarding the post, stay on your feet. Walker is Six Six at best.
You have him by four inches. Make him score over you, not an easy layup because you are jumping to the moon.

I came away very discouraged. I hope I am wrong, but I do not think we will be very good this year. But the football game was fun.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

We were 21-9 two years years ago, which last time I checked was more than your 18-20 win window. So your statement saying it’s not likely to happen because of the the last 3 years is just 100% false, seeing how it already has happened.

You are probably going to get your wish.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
Oh, just shut the hell up and go away.
Adds nothing to the conversation. Nothing. It's funny he calls out Rambone for being negative when all DC does is come on and talk shit to the same few posters every time they post anything..
Last edited by steveystuds06 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

4Diffs wrote: 2 years ago Wow I am surprised at how optimistic alot of you seem to be based on that scrimmage. It is really hard to get a real feel for a team that is scrimmaging against each other, but I see a team that is going to have a hard time scoring the basketball. It was hard to watch how inefficient they are offensively. Seem to have pretty good size and athleticism, but I do not see how they score the ball with any consistency. Carey has not improved one iota, and I question how the offense is even run. They look like a team running offense before the advent of the 3 point shot. And that is not a good thing by any stretch. I mean there is always somebody on the block and the ball always goes in there on every play. That is not how the game is played today. The Court is never open for someone to attack the basket. Spread the court, drive and dish and either get to the basket or you pass it out for an open three pointer. It is like they are running an offense from the 80's. The paint is always congested, the ball does not seem to move and I would quite frankly not want to play in that offensive style today. How many big men play with their back to the basket today? And we have 3 that play like that? Not fun, nor efficient and it does not lead to efficient offensive basketball.

And Walker abused Mitchell in the low post. But I do not see that happening against most teams. I do not want to be overly negative here, but the next time Mitchell does not leave his feet for a ball fake will be the first. Rule #1 guarding the post, stay on your feet. Walker is Six Six at best.
You have him by four inches. Make him score over you, not an easy layup because you are jumping to the moon.

I came away very discouraged. I hope I am wrong, but I do not think we will be very good this year. But the football game was fun.
Interesting to get a very different perspective of the scrimmage.
Maybe the players were given a little more leeway because it was only a show for the fans.
I should probably be cautiously optimistic.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

I agree with 'bone...haven't seen anything in the last three years, including two years ago, that makes me think they reach the 18-20 win window this year. Please explain how going 21-9 two years ago, followed by last year's debacle (when the stage was set perfectly compared to anyone and everyone else, great ooc sched...no pandemic disruptions)...makes you think they will...

I'm actually a little curious why ' bone thinks we'll start out well. I could use reason for optimism, I just don't see it with this coach... Can only hope I'm wrong.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

208, got to have SOME hope, don't we?

Of course, 15 and DC want all of us to have sugar plum fairies dancing around our heads when it comes to this program.

Yes the first year with Cox we did win 21 games, but ever since then the direction has been downhill.

Finish this season strong and my opinion and attitude will change. Until then, I deal with realities, thank you.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

4Diffs wrote: 2 years ago Wow I am surprised at how optimistic alot of you seem to be based on that scrimmage. It is really hard to get a real feel for a team that is scrimmaging against each other, but I see a team that is going to have a hard time scoring the basketball. It was hard to watch how inefficient they are offensively. Seem to have pretty good size and athleticism, but I do not see how they score the ball with any consistency. Carey has not improved one iota, and I question how the offense is even run. They look like a team running offense before the advent of the 3 point shot. And that is not a good thing by any stretch. I mean there is always somebody on the block and the ball always goes in there on every play. That is not how the game is played today. The Court is never open for someone to attack the basket. Spread the court, drive and dish and either get to the basket or you pass it out for an open three pointer. It is like they are running an offense from the 80's. The paint is always congested, the ball does not seem to move and I would quite frankly not want to play in that offensive style today. How many big men play with their back to the basket today? And we have 3 that play like that? Not fun, nor efficient and it does not lead to efficient offensive basketball.

If we had the roster to play that way, we would do it. We lost by far our best-attacking guard in Fatts. I don't think we are a 3 pt shooting team filled with guys that can go 1 on 1 and attack the basket. We have to play to our strengths which are our big men. If we start games strong from the inside and teams start to double or focus on our bigs I think it will help Shep, Ish, and EA get open shots and lanes. I also think our size should cause some mismatches and improve our offensive rebounding. I wouldn't worry too much about how our defense looked from a scrimmage. They weren't playing defense like they would in a normal game. I've been critical of Cox but I think he has the right idea on how we can succeed on the offensive end.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago 208, got to have SOME hope, don't we?

Of course, 15 and DC want all of us to have sugar plum fairies dancing around our heads when it comes to this program.

Yes the first year with Cox we did win 21 games, but ever since then the direction has been downhill.

Finish this season strong and my opinion and attitude will change. Until then, I deal with realities, thank you.
I mean if you’re going to be all depressing at least get the facts right.

We won 21 games in Cox’s second year, not first.
0 x
Go Rhody
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Ya, I'm lost on this one. I get that Rambone can get negative, and so can I. But Rambone being skeptical that Cox can lead us to 18-20 wins is depressing? Why? That makes complete sense to me..It seems like another situation where we can all discuss how we view this team and avoid the few of you that come on here to talk trash to Rambone.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago

Ya, I'm lost on this one. I get that Rambone can get negative, and so can I. But Rambone being skeptical that Cox can lead us to 18-20 wins is depressing? Why? That makes complete sense to me..It seems like another situation where we can all discuss how we view this team and avoid the few of you that come on here to talk trash to Rambone.
I can handle it lol. Anyone who has eyes and have watched this team and coaches, can see what the issues are.

I look at facts, not some blind faith that things will all of a sudden turn around.

Like some have said, by the time a coach has had 3 years at a school, and things are worse not better, what makes some think it will get better?

You can tell early on, and the signs were there for all to see.

I want this program to succeed just like every true Rhody fan. After 50+ years of following this, I've been there thru all the ups and downs.

Give me some positive results, and you will see a more positive Rambone. But if things continue to suck, I'm going to call it as I see it!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago We really don't know what the level of talent here is.

Something tells me that 15-15 [which was the lowest number of wins predicted for last season] won't be the lowest this season.
Rambone,
With all due respect, we really know more about this team than most any other team in our history because it’s very close to being the same team.

Starting line up:
Sheppard
Leggett
Makhel Mitchell
Martin
El-Amin

Bench:
Walker
Carey
Makhi Mitchell
  • Only El Amin is new and he places Russell as a 1 year grad student transfer
  • Makhi Mitchell is added but he only plays when his brother is out and he was injured last season after 8 games
  • Cox showed in scrimmage the oddity of not starting Walker and playing him extended minutes. Some here think Walker might be one of our top 3 players but staff did not show that confidence last season
  • Not much at all new here or different
On plus side our schedules OOC and A10 conference (because of finishing 10th) are easier. That’s a plus for winning more games but doesn’t mean the team is overall better.

Confidence seems high with some here.

We shall see as always. 10-15 overall, 7-10 conference, 10th place could and should improve but tough to see a significant improvement with same HC, same basic players and not much expected from incoming freshmen and redshirt freshmen.

But that’s why we play the games.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 2 years ago

Rambone,
With all due respect, we really know more about this team than most any other team in our history because it’s very close to being the same team.

Starting line up:
Sheppard
Leggett
Makhel Mitchell
Martin
El-Amin

Bench:
Walker
Carey
Makhi Mitchell
  • Only El Amin is new and he places Russell as a 1 year grad student transfer
  • Makhi Mitchell is added but he only plays when his brother is out and he was injured last season after 8 games
  • Cox showed in scrimmage the oddity of not starting Walker and playing him extended minutes. Some here think Walker might be one of our top 3 players but staff did not show that confidence last season
  • Not much at all new here or different
On plus side our schedules OOC and A10 conference (because of finishing 10th) are easier. That’s a plus for winning more games but doesn’t mean the team is overall better.

Confidence seems high with some here.

We shall see as always. 10-15 overall, 7-10 conference, 10th place could and should improve but tough to see a significant improvement with same HC, same basic players and not much expected from incoming freshmen and redshirt freshmen.

But that’s why we play the games.
Ramster

I don't know if I am being wildly optimistic, but I can see us being significantly improved.
Another year of experience for Cox along with the young staff, and the the addition of Bozeman.
I feel much better about the team this year than last, even without Fatts, just because they all had an entire year together. They should be much closer together as a unit, and know what to expect from each other.

I still don't think the starting 5 is set in stone. I, like Stevey, will be disappointed if Walker comes off the bench.
I feel good about our rotation of 8, and that seems to be much clearer than last year.

You are right though, that's why we play the games.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rambone said it’s hard to predict this years team
My response is it’s virtually the same team as last year and explained why.

Also a significantly easier OOC and A10 schedule

4th year of a 5 year contract with no extension at this time

Last season 144 madness had URI #138
This season 144 madness has URI #121

Hope your optimism reigns supreme.

NCAA or BUST
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 2 years ago 77,
Rambone said it’s hard to predict this years team
My response is it’s virtually the same team as last year and explained why.

Also a significantly easier OOC and A10 schedule

4th year of a 5 year contract with no extension at this time

Hope your optimism reigns supreme.
I hope so too.
Like I said, I don't look forward to another rebuild, and I like the core group we have going into next year.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Does it really matter if Antwan starts as long as he gets the minutes he deserves in the end? I honestly prefer him as a spark plug off the bench than a starter. He brings so much energy.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

DC_Rams wrote: 2 years ago Does it really matter if Antwan starts as long as he gets the minutes he deserves in the end? I honestly prefer him as a spark plug off the bench than a starter. He brings so much energy.
DC, I actually prefer EA in that role, starting both Martin and Walker.
I would like Walker and Mitchell to start together and immediately assert themselves in the paint. I think it would create difficult matchups for our competition. Not sure how Walker would adjust going from starter to coming off the bench.
Cox certainly knows much better than us, curious to see how he handles the minutes.

IMO, just being a dumb fan.
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

DC_Rams wrote: 2 years ago Does it really matter if Antwan starts as long as he gets the minutes he deserves in the end? I honestly prefer him as a spark plug off the bench than a starter. He brings so much energy.
To me no it doesn’t.
What matters to me is that he receives the minutes that maximizes his effectiveness and maximizes the teams results.
But personally I would have him starting because of his size, rebounding, leadership, maturity, ability to score, solid shooting percentage, above average passing ability for a big man and his defense.
I hope he gets 32 or more minutes per game.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

To me no it doesn’t.
What matters to me is that he receives the minutes that maximizes his effectiveness and maximizes the teams results.
But personally I would have him starting because of his size, rebounding, leadership, maturity, ability to score, solid shooting percentage, above average passing ability for a big man and his defense.
Our weakness has been our shooting and outside game. Our strength is our frontcourt and ability to control the paint.
We should use that as an advantage to start the game and force the competition to adjust. IMO
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
To me no it doesn’t.
Our weakness has been our shooting and outside game. Our strength is our frontcourt and ability to control the paint.
We should use that as an advantage to start the game and force the competition to adjust. IMO
I thought defense was our worst category last year

Outside shooting was fine with Sheppard, Leggett - just not with Russell due to injuries.

Just get the minutes to the best players - that did not happen last year.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago

To me no it doesn’t.
I thought defense was our worst category last year

Outside shooting was fine with Sheppard, Leggett - just not with Russell due to injuries.

Just get the minutes to the best players - that did not happen last year.
Agree with you on our defense.
Dominating the paint would open up the game for Shep and Ish. I would be surprised and disappointed if Walker isn't starting.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

You don’t bring in a starting grad transfer to come off the bench. Twan seems like a old fashioned team guy, again, I like him off the bench, but in the end, I think our best lineup, is a fresh lineup. Stick with the one that works, and get guys breather if they are starting to slow down on D. I too, am also a dumb fan. Shrug.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

DC_Rams wrote: 2 years ago You don’t bring in a starting grad transfer to come off the bench. Twan seems like a old fashioned team guy, again, I like him off the bench, but in the end, I think our best lineup, is a fresh lineup. Stick with the one that works, and get guys breather if they are starting to slow down on D. I too, am also a dumb fan. Shrug.
EA is done after this year, I doubt Cox gave him any guarantees or promises, just a fair chance.
I would like Walker and Martin to stay happy and engaged, so they would be more apt to return.
Who knows what is going on behind the scenes and what these players are feeling.

In the end I trust Cox's judgement on this, he is with these kids everyday.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

……..my Lord……I would like to think the HC would play the players and PT based on who is getting the job done, not a predetermined amount of minutes…….my point, at this early stage of zero games played is that EA and Walker got to have long leash to work themselves out of major minutes…….
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

You said similar to Carey a year ago. You don’t bring in a Top 50 player and not start him. So Carey started 2 games and clearly list his starting spot. Makes you wonder if that hurt him versus bringing him along more slowly. He seemed to lose confidence and his playing time diminished to where he was 9th or 10th in the rotation.

I’d prefer to play the 5 best players from what they show in practicing during the summer and fall and forget what you told them in the recruiting process.

As with any team, the players themselves know who the best 5 are. And believe it or not so do the fans.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

ramster wrote: 2 years ago You said similar to Carey a year ago. You don’t bring in a Top 50 player and not start him. So Carey started 2 games and clearly list his starting spot. Makes you wonder if that hurt him versus bringing him along more slowly. He seemed to lose confidence and his playing time diminished to where he was 9th or 10th in the rotation.

I’d prefer to play the 5 best players from what they show in practicing during the summer and fall and forget what you told them in the recruiting process.

As with any team, the players themselves know who the best 5 are. And believe it or not so do the fans.
Yup. Cox can tell a grad transfer from a lower conference that he has to earn his starting spot. Do you know who has earned a spot? Walker. He was the best player on the floor in the scrimmage and he is much more than a spark plug at this stage of his career. He's a leader and looks like he could be our best player. He should be starting and getting all the minutes he can handle. Walker's minutes were not handled well last season I really hope that doesn't happen again.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

I’d be surprised if Walker doesn’t start. Who know how they pick teams for the scrimmage. Maybe they moved him over for the size matchup since the other Mitchell bro was injured.

I agree with one of the posters earlier. I think we’ll need to play more smash mouth offense as we have size in the middle. May not be as exciting, but people will be happy if it leads to Ws.
2 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Yes, I also feel (as by all my posts) that Walker is one of our most talented players and would be surprised if he doesn't start.
As soon as it was mentioned that Makhel wasn't playing in the scrimmage, I figured he would be opposing Makhi.
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago ……..my Lord……I would like to think the HC would play the players and PT based on who is getting the job done, not a predetermined amount of minutes…….my point, at this early stage of zero games played is that EA and Walker got to have long leash to work themselves out of major minutes…….
Again, this is MY OPINION. I have no idea what Cox is going to do or will do. Who knows how determining who will start is figured out. I really don’t care who starts, just win.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago You said similar to Carey a year ago. You don’t bring in a Top 50 player and not start him. So Carey started 2 games and clearly list his starting spot. Makes you wonder if that hurt him versus bringing him along more slowly. He seemed to lose confidence and his playing time diminished to where he was 9th or 10th in the rotation.

He played himself right out the rotation. I am entitled to an opinion, right? My opinions are sometimes far fetched, but it’s just that, an opinion. Not sure what else there is to say. Rehashing my good or bad takes won’t change how I feel about anything.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

DC_Rams wrote: 2 years ago
section(105) wrote: 2 years ago ……..my Lord……I would like to think the HC would play the players and PT based on who is getting the job done, not a predetermined amount of minutes…….my point, at this early stage of zero games played is that EA and Walker got to have long leash to work themselves out of major minutes…….
Again, this is MY OPINION. I have no idea what Cox is going to do or will do. Who knows how determining who will start is figured out. I really don’t care who starts, just win.
Yes DC, in the end winning is the only thing that counts.
I would just like us to come out of the opening tip with a strong start and assert ourselves right away.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We need to force our will and style of play on our opponents, not the other way around.

And 105 made a great point....you play your best players and do not take them out of games when they're hot because of predetermined number of minutes.

This is where having an experienced coach like Bozeman should help. He should also help with timeout strategy, I would hope.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Seriously, if your best 5 players are PGs are you going to start them? Of course not. For most opponents we need 2 big men, two shooters and a PG on the court at most times. Because most players are "a little of this and a little of that" they can play different roles.

This team need s to play 2 of Walker and the twins at most times.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago Seriously, if your best 5 players are PGs are you going to start them? Of course not. For most opponents we need 2 big men, two shooters and a PG on the court at most times. Because most players are "a little of this and a little of that" they can play different roles.

This team need s to play 2 of Walker and the twins at most times.
Ok smart-ass,

If you followed the freakin conversation you would know……

Starting line up in the scrimmage was:
El Amin - Guard 6’3”
Sheppard - Guard 6’1”
Leggett - Guard 6’2”
Martin - Guard 6’6”
Makhi Mitchell - Center 6’9”

Walker Forward 6’7” was off the bench

Point being made by several, including me, is Walker should be starting. Line up being used is too small AND Walker is a good player.

That’s it, simple.

Plus looking back to last year there were numerous times Walker did not start the 1st or 2nd halves and also he played fewer minutes than I thought he deserved.

No stupid “start 5 big men or start 5 point guards”suggestions have been made til you brought it up.

Now go back to your belief in giving Cox a 3 year extension and 50% pay raise following his 1st 3 years performance.
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

No stupid “start 5 big men or start 5 point guards”suggestions have been made til you brought it up.
Starting the best 5 players was mentioned more than once.

Last season when Mahki was injured, it was important to have at least one of Mahkel or Walker on the court which meant playing a smaller line-up when one was out.

I have no idea whether el amin is better than Carey or how long it will take for injured players to return to form. You need to be most competitive for a 40 minute game. There is too much potential in Carey to give up on him as long as the effort is there to improve.

A head coach on thin ice will have trouble recruiting. Your negativity is a prescription for failure. So RI. GO RHODY!!!!
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago

Last season when Mahki was injured, it was important to have at least one of Mahkel or Walker on the court which meant playing a smaller line-up when one was out.

I have no idea whether el amin is better than Carey or how long it will take for injured players to return to form. You need to be most competitive for a 40 minute game. There is too much potential in Carey to give up on him as long as the effort is there to improve.

A head coach on thin ice will have trouble recruiting. Your negativity is a prescription for failure. So RI. GO RHODY!!!!
Better than Carey? Good god, the bar is set real high I guess. Carey is like a walk on based on performance.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago

Playing the best 5 is of course playing the best 5 within the confines of positioning.

Dowtin never should have been moved to off guard his Jr and Sr seasons. One of the best PGs we have ever had and we moved him
Toppin should have played 10 more minutes per game than he did. One of main reasons he left was playing time which made the Kentucky Blue Grass much greener
Walker should have played 5-10 more minutes per game
Harris should have played fewer
Russell should have played fewer minutes considering his multiple injuries - plus we had guard depth but didn’t utilize the depth as we could have. His green light to shoot and shoot some more was absurd
Leggett should have been in the starting line up sooner
Carey should have not started to begin the season. Turnover prone at Syracuse and at URI. Not a good passer, shooter or ball handler.

Only 1 transfer in and we are staying with last years 10-15 line up. Time will tell but could be players should have moved in to make room for more transfer talent.
1 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

I like how Walker looked improved last year and as much as I think it would be nice for him to be a starter, I think putting him on the bench could "possibly" up being big positive, "IF" it allows Rhody to keep scoring at a steady pace even when the oppositions lesser players are in the game, while starters are being rested. This only works well, in my opinion, if the starting 5 end up working well together as well.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I don't really think we should read much into the starting lineup for a scrimmage, with only one Mitchell playing. It makes sense to put the remaining Mitchell on one team, and Walker on the other, unless you just want them running over Samb the entire time. I'm usually a proponent of playing your best 5, size be damned, but to me that means Walker should get minutes over Malik Martin, and going with more of a conventional lineup vs. having a small ball 4. (I'm assuming Sheppard, Ish and El-Amin are starting in the backcourt / wings, with Martin or Mitchell the first off the bench and/or potentially starting sometimes, based on match-up or injury status or foul situations.)
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Agree with this. IMO opening night lineup should be:

Makhel
Antwan
El Amin
Sheppard
Leggett

Makhi, Malik, Carey in that order off the bench.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I agree with both of you. BUT, Walker did not always start last year, and he did not always start the second half, and he did not play as many minutes as I thought he should have - others also thought Walker should have played more minutes

So based on what I saw last season I have reason to believe Walker might not start and might not receive the minutes I think he should.

What Cox does and what we think he should do are not necessarily the same. No way should Russell have been playing as many minutes as he did as injured as he was - for example.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 2 years ago I agree with both of you. BUT, Walker did not always start last year, and he did not always start the second half, and he did not play as many minutes as I thought he should have - others also thought Walker should have played more minutes

So based on what I saw last season I have reason to believe Walker might not start and might not receive the minutes I think he should.

What Cox does and what we think he should do are not necessarily the same. No way should Russell have been playing as many minutes as he did as injured as he was - for example.
I do agree and would be very surprised and disappointed if Walker doesn't start, but who knows.
But anyway, contrary to the thoughts of several on this board, I think our team will be very hard to predict this season.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago I agree with both of you. BUT, Walker did not always start last year, and he did not always start the second half, and he did not play as many minutes as I thought he should have - others also thought Walker should have played more minutes

According to ESPN Walker started all 25 games last season. I do agree he got the early hook too many times and seemed to be the only guy who had a short leash but I dont recall him ever not starting. Dont see that changing in his senior year.
0 x