Scrimmage

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Scrimmage

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

The Rhode Island men's basketball team will open up the 2021-22 season with a Blue & White Scrimmage on Saturday, October 9 at 11 am inside the Ryan Center prior to the football game at 1 pm. The intrasquad scrimmage, free to the public, offers fans a sneak peek at the 2021-22 team prior to the men's basketball exhibition game versus Johnson and Wales on Thursday, November 4 at 7:00 p.m.

Doors for the scrimmage will open at 10:30 am and patrons only coming to the scrimmage are encouraged to park in the Mackal/Keaney Lots. Football tailgating is available in the Plains Road Lot for $15 day of (CASH ONLY). While we are extremely excited to once again be able to host fans inside the Ryan Center, we ask everyone to adhere to any health guidelines that the University of Rhode Island and/or State of Rhode Island provide throughout the season including wearing a mask while inside the Ryan Center.

Tickets are still available as #21/23 Rhody Football hosts #8 Delaware at 1 pm on Saturday, October 9 at Meade Stadium. Tickets start at $15 and can be purchased online here.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: Scrimmage

Unread post by section(105) »

……..absolutely going to scrimmage, gotta get in my eyeball test of all things of this roster, new players, rehab players, new assistant coaches, etc…….sometimes these events, for me, do not tell me much of live fire action of the defense, but looking forward to it……..
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

This pleases me. Unfortunate timing with football though. Parking/traffic will be difficult.
0 x
GO RAMS
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I wonder how they're going to differentiate the people going to the scrimmage from those going to the game? The scrimmage is free. You can walk right in. What's to stop people from going to the football game after the scrimmage without a ticket. Will we have to leave and come back in?
Last edited by Billyboy78 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I went to the Bryant game. In order to get onto the East stands, I was required to hand in my ticket, and they gave me a paper wristband.
0 x
GO RAMS
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Looking forward to hearing some reports from those able to attend!
0 x
Ramtastico
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Ramtastico »

Didn’t anyone go to the scrimmage??? Hint, leaving your keyboard and walking in the sun is good for you.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Ramtastico wrote: 2 years ago Didn’t anyone go to the scrimmage??? Hint, leaving your keyboard and walking in the sun is good for you.
It’s on the 9th.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Ramtastico wrote: 2 years ago Didn’t anyone go to the scrimmage??? Hint, leaving your keyboard and walking in the sun is good for you.
Is the scrimmage outdoors?
1 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Will be there!
0 x
Ramtastico
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Ramtastico »

My bad! I thought it was yesterday. Hint, reading is good to do sometimes.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Ramtastico wrote: 2 years ago My bad! I thought it was yesterday. Hint, reading is good to do sometimes.
Too much sun is bad for you. :D
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago
……..I was hoping for the Boon St. courts, but I guess not……
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago
Yeah, they're opening the roof.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Good thread going from Will here with updates...

0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Makhi looks great!
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago Makhi looks great!
Thanks Stevey, good news to hear concerning him.
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Will post in detail after football. Liked Martin and Walker and the twins. Was El Amin number 23? Poor foul shooting and three point shooting. Good D forcing turnovers. Berry sat most of the game. More later.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Good news can’t wait to hear the reports from people who attended
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

…….just got back from B/W scrimmage…….I can’t let my enthusiasm to be back in the RC color my optimism and run away with we are gonna be really good……..I will stick with we are gonna be better than many suggest. Big picture, I like what I saw; decent/good intensity on defense, good movement with and w/o ball on offense, no standing around watching someone pound the ball into traffic to hurling up a circus shot, liked that were refs, liked what would appear to be a deep(October depth)to maybe wear people down with fresh players, not going use the word rust, players seemed to be together as a team, crowd 500+??
Makhi seems ready to go, nothing seemed to be holding back, brother and AB in warmups, no action in anything, EA will provide a steady and mature influence on the floor, made a great long up court bounce pass for a cutting Ish? for layup, can see EA laying point and SG positions, Walker going to be a smooth beast, Carey looked better with few handling TO/s, Shepard will be Shep, Ish looked solid with a kinda increased confidence that I did not see last year, liked Tres Berry see him getting fresh time…….like that the offense wants to force the action…….what I didn’t like was Makhi
burping up threes, all misses(?)seems to green light to chuck, during the second time period the play got a bit sloppy and had look of what we saw way way to much last year…….didn’t see stats but three point shooting could be suspect to compete at the top tier of A-10……
I see us surprising some folks, should show strong OOC schedule record…….hey looking up, staying positive, I would offer a likable group and our roster losses were additional by subtraction……Go Rhody……..this is what my foggy glasses eyeballs tell me…….You?
The Rhody fans around me seem to like what we saw…….can’t wait for live fire
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago …….just got back from B/W scrimmage…….I can’t let my enthusiasm to be back in the RC color my optimism and run away with we are gonna be really good……..I will stick with we are gonna be better than many suggest. Big picture, I like what I saw; decent/good intensity on defense, good movement with and w/o ball on offense, no standing around watching someone pound the ball into traffic to hurling up a circus shot, liked that were refs, liked what would appear to be a deep(October depth)to maybe wear people down with fresh players, not going use the word rust, players seemed to be together as a team, crowd 500+??
Makhi seems ready to go, nothing seemed to be holding back, brother and AB in warmups, no action in anything, EA will provide a steady and mature influence on the floor, made a great long up court bounce pass for a cutting Ish? for layup, can see EA laying point and SG positions, Walker going to be a smooth beast, Carey looked better with few handling TO/s, Shepard will be Shep, Ish looked solid with a kinda increased confidence that I did not see last year, liked Tres Berry see him getting fresh time…….like that the offense wants to force the action…….what I didn’t like was Makhi
burping up threes, all misses(?)seems to green light to chuck, during the second time period the play got a bit sloppy and had look of what we saw way way to much last year…….didn’t see stats but three point shooting could be suspect to compete at the top tier of A-10……
I see us surprising some folks, should show strong OOC schedule record…….hey looking up, staying positive, I would offer a likable group and our roster losses were additional by subtraction……Go Rhody……..this is what my foggy glasses eyeballs tell me…….You?
The Rhody fans around me seem to like what we saw…….can’t wait for live fire
Appreciate the feedback 105, sounds like we should have some good depth to carry us through the season.
Curious what others thought.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Sounds like a promising report and yeah we don’t want either Of the Mitchell’s jacking up 3s
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Not sure I agree on the depth. If this team is to be successful, I think it comes from getting as much as possible from about an 8 man rotation. The roster starts to look really thin past that, imo.
3 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Makhel has two career attempts from 3-point range, so, if he's been working on - that's not the worst thing. If he can establish himself as a threat from 3-point range, then it stretches the defense. Otherwise, you might have some bunching in the paint issues if you're playing him and Walker at the same time. (Not impossible to overcome, of course, but it isn't a bad thing if a player develops a new skill.)
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The level of discipline will be the key to any success they have this season......last season there wasn't any.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ace wrote: 2 years ago Not sure I agree on the depth. If this team is to be successful, I think it comes from getting as much as possible from about an 8 man rotation. The roster starts to look really thin past that, imo.
Good point Ace, maybe I am expecting a little too much from the freshman, just because both Tres and Ileri have already been here a year.
I was very high on the Samb signing.
Both Martin and/or EA (not sure who starts) should be solid and feel Makhi can be a high impact player. We should see some improvement from Carey and hopefully he will contribute, he has the athletic ability. He did have some decent games his freshman year at Syracuse including 26 pts/7rebs. against UConn.
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Saw the first half of scrimmage

Walker dominated offensively— was probably 6 for 7, mostly going up against Makhi. A bevy of different moves and great finishing. But he was on the floor with the 2nd team and everything ran through him. I hope he is used more effectively this year as he has a polished game inside and should be 1 of our primary options offensively. I think he needs to play a lot and I see no circumstance where him and the twins are on the floor together. So there’s that.

Ish, Ish, Shepp, Malik looked as expected.

Makhi looked pretty good however two red flags are the jacking up of threes and multiple times trying to go coast to coast off a rebound and the end result of that was never good (turnover, offensive foul, etc). Cox has had too long a leash with guys and what they are allowed to do on the floor and there were already signs of that in this scrimmage.

Our FR all looked super green. Don’t see any of them contributing for awhile.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
ace wrote: 2 years ago Not sure I agree on the depth. If this team is to be successful, I think it comes from getting as much as possible from about an 8 man rotation. The roster starts to look really thin past that, imo.
Good point Ace, maybe I am expecting a little too much from the freshman, just because both Tres and Ileri have already been here a year.
Both Martin or EA (not sure who starts) should be solid and feel Makhi can be a high impact player. We should see some improvement from Carey and hopefully he will contribute, he has the athletic ability. He did have some decent games his freshman year at Syracuse including 26 pts/7rebs. against UConn.
I would be more surprised if Berry and Iyo-Faleye give them something this season than if they don’t. I think Samb has talent, but I could see his minutes coming later rather than sooner. Take those three away, and they have their eight man rotation. Obviously, if any of those three surprise greatly, things could go much better. They seem to be counting on El-Amin’s leadership to make up for a lot of what didn’t happen last year.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ace wrote: 2 years ago
Both Martin and/or EA (not sure who starts) should be solid and feel Makhi can be a high impact player. We should see some improvement from Carey and hopefully he will contribute, he has the athletic ability. He did have some decent games his freshman year at Syracuse including 26 pts/7rebs. against UConn.
I would be more surprised if Berry and Iyo-Faleye give them something this season than if they don’t. I think Samb has talent, but I could see his minutes coming later rather than sooner. Take those three away, and they have their eight man rotation. Obviously, if any of those three surprise greatly, things could go much better. They seem to be counting on El-Amin’s leadership to make up for a lot of what didn’t happen last year.
I guess we just need to keep our fingers crossed that the injury bug doesn't bite us.
Having a solid 8 man rotation works, it's hard to keep everybody happy with minutes.
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

I really liked the A team starting lineup, Ish, Ish, Makhel, Martin and Shepard. They shared the ball, ran the court, played defense. One would assume that Walker and Carey who played on the b squad would be part of the first eight. Martin and Walker should have big years. Basically, I spent most of the time watching El Amin. Fits in very well, other than missing a dunk, it looked like he has been with the team for years. For those old timers Ike myself, he reminded me of Brian Woodward and Phil Hickson. I’m sure someone could come up with a better example.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

neil wrote: 2 years ago I really liked the A team starting lineup, Ish, Ish, Makhel, Martin and Shepard. They shared the ball, ran the court, played defense. One would assume that Walker and Carey who played on the b squad would be part of the first eight. Martin and Walker should have big years. Basically, I spent most of the time watching El Amin. Fits in very well, other than missing a dunk, it looked like he has been with the team for years. For those old timers Ike myself, he reminded me of Brian Woodward and Phil Hickson. I’m sure someone could come up with a better example.
Neil, based on what you saw I am curious about the predicted starting 5. Also sounds like some of our pieces may be interchangeable in our rotation of 8 without missing too much of a beat.
We may not have any "so called stars" but will have quite a few solid impact contributors. Not such a bad thing.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

neil wrote: 2 years ago I really liked the A team starting lineup, Ish, Ish, Makhel, Martin and Shepard. They shared the ball, ran the court, played defense. One would assume that Walker and Carey who played on the b squad would be part of the first eight. Martin and Walker should have big years. Basically, I spent most of the time watching El Amin. Fits in very well, other than missing a dunk, it looked like he has been with the team for years. For those old timers Ike myself, he reminded me of Brian Woodward and Phil Hickson. I’m sure someone could come up with a better example.
If he reminds you of those two, he’ll be a great addition. I’m surprised Walker isn’t a starter.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago
If he reminds you of those two, he’ll be a great addition. I’m surprised Walker isn’t a starter.
I think he and Martin will probably be battling for the 5/6 spot all season and may change based on matchups. Either way I expect a huge year from Walker.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Saw the first half of scrimmage

Walker dominated offensively— was probably 6 for 7, mostly going up against Makhi. A bevy of different moves and great finishing. But he was on the floor with the 2nd team and everything ran through him. I hope he is used more effectively this year as he has a polished game inside and should be 1 of our primary options offensively. I think he needs to play a lot and I see no circumstance where him and the twins are on the floor together. So there’s that.

Ish, Ish, Shepp, Malik looked as expected.

Makhi looked pretty good however two red flags are the jacking up of threes and multiple times trying to go coast to coast off a rebound and the end result of that was never good (turnover, offensive foul, etc). Cox has had too long a leash with guys and what they are allowed to do on the floor and there were already signs of that in this scrimmage.

Our FR all looked super green. Don’t see any of them contributing for awhile.
BAR,
Are you surprised Walker not playing with the first team? Last season his playing time sometimes seemed erratic.

How did Sheppard look running the team?

Was only seeing the first half enough to enable you to assess if this years team is better, worse or the same as last year?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago
I think he and Martin will probably be battling for the 5/6 spot all season and may change based on matchups. Either way I expect a huge year from Walker.
Or playing together at times with Martin at the 3.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Small line up, basically 4 guards

I’m also surprised Walked is not in starting line up
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Based on what I saw Walker will be a starter. Yesterday he showed some great moves down low and was virtually unstoppable.

Mitchell taking 3's cannot continue to be part of our offense. He showed some nice moves down low and that is where he is clearly more effective.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

eli#10 wrote: 2 years ago Based on what I saw Walker will be a starter. Yesterday he showed some great moves down low and was virtually unstoppable.

Mitchell taking 3's cannot continue to be part of our offense. He showed some nice moves down low and that is where he is clearly more effective.
So in a 4 guard line up of Sheppard, El Amin, Martin and Leggett we have our only big man is shooting 3’s?

Walker not starting?

Maybe trying to confuse the competition early on?
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

If Walker doesn't start that's another big mistake from Cox. He did a poor job managing Walker's minutes last season and he can't do that again. He looked like the best player yesterday and is one of the biggest leaders on the floor. We need his skill and energy right from the tip.

Shep looked like Shep. His shot is beautiful, but I'm not sure how good of a playmaker he'll be.

EA was ok. I can see that he has the talent, but he is no Fatts. I"ll need to see him more to give an honest opinion.

*Makhi and Walker looked great. I love the way we played through them. Props to Cox for playing to our strengths. Makhi is the most talented out of all 3 of the bigs in my opinion.

Ish looked more confident, and I expect him to have an excellent year. I think he's still a year away from being one of the best guards in the A10

Martin will be a solid player for us on both ends.

Carey didn't do anything great but also didn't do anything bad. He was fine.

I am getting a little worried about the talent Cox is bringing in for freshmen. I don't think any of them will have an impact this year. I don't want to overreact, but sometimes you can tell if a freshman will be a future stud. The second I watched Ish play, I could see that he would be a player for us. Unfortunately, I didn't see that from any of our freshmen. Obviously, it's wayyyyy too early and we will need to see how they develop.

Overall we are missing that superstar that can put us at the top of the A10. As we've already discussed with a weak schedule I think this team will end up with 20-21 wins. I can't wait for the season to start! Go Rhody!
Last edited by steveystuds06 2 years ago, edited 5 times in total.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Just so we’re clear, Makhel did not play yesterday?

I do think how Walker, Makhi, and Makhel’s playing time is managed will be an interesting story line. Lots of four guard line ups would likely lead to some disgruntled onlookers.
2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

ace wrote: 2 years ago Just so we’re clear, Makhel did not play yesterday?

I do think how Walker, Makhi, and Makhel’s playing time is managed will be an interesting story line. Lots of four guard line ups would likely lead to some disgruntled onlookers.
I thought I saw Makhel but I guess it was Makhi... Apparently, Makhel has a groin injury.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago
ace wrote: 2 years ago Just so we’re clear, Makhel did not play yesterday?

I think Makhel has a groin injury.
Right, it’s described as a minor thing. Some reports talked him playing/starting. I guess any mention of Makhel or the twins should just be replaced with that was all just Makhi :)
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago If Walker doesn't start that's another big mistake from Cox. He did a poor job managing Walker's minutes last season and he can't do that again. He looked like the best player yesterday and is one of the biggest leaders on the floor. We need his skill and energy right from the tip.

Shep looked like Shep. His shot is beautiful, but I'm not sure how good of a playmaker he'll be.

EA was ok. I can see that he has the talent, but he is no Fatts. I"ll need to see him more to give an honest opinion.

The Twins and Walker looked great. I love the way we played through them. Props to Cox for playing to our strengths. Makhi is the most talented out of all 3 in my opinion.

Ish looked more confident, and I expect him to have an excellent year. I think he's still a year away from being one of the best guards in the A10

I am getting a little worried about the talent Cox is bringing in as a freshman. I don't think any of them will have an impact this year. I don't want to overreact, but sometimes you can tell if a freshman will be a future stud. The second I watched Ish play, I could see that he would be a player for us. Unfortunately, I didn't see that from any of our freshmen. Obviously, it's wayyyyy too early and we will need to see how they develop.

Overall we are missing that superstar that can put us at the top of the A10. As we've already discussed with a weak schedule I think this team will end up with 20-21 wins. I can't wait for the season to start! Go Rhody!
Stevey, I agree with you 100% on your take concerning Walker.

Unless EA can prove himself to be a real difference maker, I would rather see Martin start at the 3 alongside Ish and Shep.
EA can be very valuable spelling both of them, giving us a lift off the bench along with a hopefully improved Carey.

Your remarks concerning the 3 freshman is a little worrisome, I was hoping for more positive news about them, a little disappointing.
I guess it is still very early, so who knows.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago If Walker doesn't start that's another big mistake from Cox. He did a poor job managing Walker's minutes last season and he can't do that again. He looked like the best player yesterday and is one of the biggest leaders on the floor. We need his skill and energy right from the tip.

The Twins and Walker looked great. I love the way we played through them. Props to Cox for playing to our strengths. Makhi is the most talented out of all 3 in my opinion.

I am getting a little worried about the talent Cox is bringing in as a freshman. I don't think any of them will have an impact this year. I don't want to overreact, but sometimes you can tell if a freshman will be a future stud. The second I watched Ish play, I could see that he would be a player for us. Unfortunately, I didn't see that from any of our freshmen. Obviously, it's wayyyyy too early and we will need to see how they develop.

Stevey, I agree with you 100% on your take concerning Walker.

Unless EA can prove himself to be a real difference maker, I would rather see Martin start at the 3 alongside Ish and Shep.
EA can be very valuable spelling both of them, giving us a lift off the bench along with a hopefully improved Carey.

Your remarks concerning the 3 freshman is a little worrisome, I was hoping for more positive news about them, a little disappointing.
I guess it is still very early, so who knows.
I think EA can be like a Jarvis Garrett for us. Come off the bench as a veteran guard and if he's playing well he'll finish the game.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

………freshmen are well………freshmen……..my eyeballs tell me after Saturday that Walker has got to start, anything less than that would border on an investigation……..strong, smooth around hoop, I just can’t see him coming off the bench in mismanaged minutes……..again……opps sorry, trying to stay positive…….I don’t want EA being Fatts, I want EA……..well being EA…….
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Freshman...nowhere near as important as they used to be...it's all about that free agency, er, I mean, portal...
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Want better recruits?

WIN.
2 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

I am pretty sure all of us on this board agree that we will need a big upgrade in the coaching of our team to get to the upper tier of the A-10 with a chance to get to the Tournament. Based on what I saw yesterday my expectations are not that high that we will see the required upgrade.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

eli#10 wrote: 2 years ago I am pretty sure all of us on this board agree that we will need a big upgrade in the coaching of our team to get to the upper tier of the A-10 with a chance to get to the Tournament. Based on what I saw yesterday my expectations are not that high that we will see the required upgrade.
I didn't go, so I have no idea...but when I hear what sounds like, "just about everyone looks good, we have lots of depth"...I kinda wonder if it's not like when NFL fans say, our team has 2 QBs capable of starting...(and they really have none)
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We really don't know what the level of talent here is.

And do we get the most out of that talent?

At least we'll know soon enough.

The prediction contest should be quite interesting for this season lol.

Something tells me that 15-15 [which was the lowest number of wins predicted for last season] won't be the lowest this season.
0 x