Frank Keaney

Re: GM 5 Football vs Delaware 1pm Saturday Oct 9 FloFootball.com

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

So we are hosting #9/10 Delaware as the #18/20 team in FCS. Our remaining schedule:

#9/10 Delaware
@ Towson
@ #11/9 Villanova
Maine
@ UMASS
#22/27 New Hampshire
@ Tied for 44th in the coaches Elon

Need to win 3 of those for a 50/50 shot at the playoffs, 4 to essentially clinch
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

The Delaware quarterback situation will probably be a mystery all week, right up until gametime:

Starter Nolan Henderson was day to day with a pelvic injury going into the Albany game. He responded well to treatment between the Rutgers game where the injury happened through their bye week to the point where he started against Albany. However in the second quarter he was injured again and didn't come back in until the fourth quarter when his replacement, Zach Gwynn, got hurt. Henderson played the final 12 snaps, all runs, none by him. He was 4 for 7 on the day for 33 yards. As of now there is no update I can find on his status for Saturday. In the spring he went 17 of 22 for 190 yards, 2 touchdowns, and 1 interception against us.

Zach Gwynn replaced him as I said and went 9 for 15 for 81 yards and an interception. I don't have an update on his condition.

They also have Anthony Paoletti as a wildcat quarterback. He didn't throw, but he did run 10 times for 53 yards and a TD. In high school he did throw for 7048 yards and 73 touchdowns, so he is not a run only option and the threat of passing needs to be respected, even if he didn't throw against Albany.

Where Delaware kills teams is on the ground. It appears their starting offense line goes 6'7" 325, 6'5" 310, 6'3" 295, 6'3" 330, 6'5" 305. (313 lb average). Against us in the spring they ran 58 times for 361 yards and 3 touchdowns. That's a 6.2 yards per rush average. Against Albany they ran 47 times for 208 yards and 2 touchdowns, with an average of 4.4 yards per carry
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

I'm kinda thinking 6-2 or better...
If you leave it up to a committee with a 5-3 record, they might not take all of the CAA teams that are above .500.
A win this week will be huge...
Play one game at a time.

But holy smokes do I want to make the playoffs!!!
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago The Delaware quarterback situation will probably be a mystery all week, right up until gametime:

Starter Nolan Henderson was day to day with a pelvic injury going into the Albany game. He responded well to treatment between the Rutgers game where the injury happened through their bye week to the point where he started against Albany. However in the second quarter he was injured again and didn't come back in until the fourth quarter when his replacement, Zach Gwynn, got hurt. Henderson played the final 12 snaps, all runs, none by him. He was 4 for 7 on the day for 33 yards. As of now there is no update I can find on his status for Saturday. In the spring he went 17 of 22 for 190 yards, 2 touchdowns, and 1 interception against us.

Zach Gwynn replaced him as I said and went 9 for 15 for 81 yards and an interception. I don't have an update on his condition.

They also have Anthony Paoletti as a wildcat quarterback. He didn't throw, but he did run 10 times for 53 yards and a TD. In high school he did throw for 7048 yards and 73 touchdowns, so he is not a run only option and the threat of passing needs to be respected, even if he didn't throw against Albany.

Where Delaware kills teams is on the ground. It appears their starting offense line goes 6'7" 325, 6'5" 310, 6'3" 295, 6'3" 330, 6'5" 305. (313 lb average). Against us in the spring they ran 58 times for 361 yards and 3 touchdowns. That's a 6.2 yards per rush average. Against Albany they ran 47 times for 208 yards and 2 touchdowns, with an average of 4.4 yards per carry
Our chances of winning go up dramatically if their QB is out
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

rhodyrudder wrote: 2 years ago I'm kinda thinking 6-2 or better...
If you leave it up to a committee with a 5-3 record, they might not take all of the CAA teams that are above .500.
A win this week will be huge...
Play one game at a time.

But holy smokes do I want to make the playoffs!!!
CAA record doesn't really matter as best I can tell when I did the research. Since the playoffs were expanded in 2013, no 8 win CAA team has been left out, so 6-2 in conference would do it. 5-3 would get us up to 7 wins. 7 win teams have made the playoffs 7 times and missed 8, however one 6 win team made it in 2018. That's why I say 3 more wins gives you a 50/50 shot. In both of the previous scenarios, that assumes a loss to UMass. Would we get penalized for going 5-3 or 4-4 in conference but beating UMass instead of the extra CAA win? That would be an interesting discussion about where a cellar dwelling FBS school fits in the hierarchy compared to a FCS playoff contender
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Reading gohens.net, it appears they are getting inconsistent offensive line play this year, especially on pass protection. Like I said in a previous post, the running game is where they will hurt us. Last year

Dejoun Lee ran the ball 22 times for 221 yards and 2 touchdowns with a long run of 74. Those are old NCAA video game numbers. So far this year he's carried the ball 64 times for 356 yards, a 5.6 yards per carry average, and 2 touchdowns.

Khory Spruill carried the ball 15 times for 88 yards, an average of 5.9 yards a carry. Sounds like he will miss this game with an ankle injury.

Nolan Henderson ran 13 times for 36 yards. As detailed above, he's dealing with an injury so even if he plays his mobility should be greatly reduced.

This game comes down to can we slow down Dejoun Lee. He started the year slow with underwhelming games against Maine and Saint Francis, but ran for 127 yards on 15 carries against Rutgers and 112 yards on 19 carries at Albany in the last two games. He also returns kickoffs, so hopefully we can keep it out of his hands by putting it into the end zone and limiting the damage if and when he takes it out
0 x
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

Cannot make this game, pretty bummed. I have 2 tickets available Section 10 Row H 1-2. Message me if anyone has any interest. Would love to see this game packed!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

URI -1.5 points favorite on Monday
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago URI -1.5 points favorite on Monday
When was the last time URI was favored over the Blue Hens?
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago
I don't know, and frankly I'm shocked by this
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The Delaware Blue Hens Football Fan Forum:
https://www.gohens.net/boards/viewforum.php?f=15
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Just spoke to the ticket office, Delaware is almost a sell out. Also informed them that it would be nice to at least have a one page program. They said “they would look into it”
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

neil wrote: 2 years ago Just spoke to the ticket office, Delaware is almost a sell out. Also informed them that it would be nice to at least have a one page program. They said “they would look into it”
Surprised they didn't tell you "for fan safety, we're moving to mobile e-programs". Paper??? So 2019....
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago
I don't know, and frankly I'm shocked by this
Thursday morning spread is up to URI -3.5
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Still lots of good seats left in sections 6 and 10.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

That's crazy considering other less meaningful games in years past have been sellouts. This is probably the biggest Rhody football game since??? A win and we would likely be sniffing the Top 10 in polls.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago That's crazy considering other less meaningful games in years past have been sellouts. This is probably the biggest Rhody football game since??? A win and we would likely be sniffing the Top 10 in polls.
Certainly since '95 with Chris Hixon and the loss to Delaware in the Yankee championship.

Would be a monumental shift for the program. Win this game, and you should be able to beat Towson - probably drop to Nova on the road, but then you're coming back home top 12/15 in the country with a sell out incoming against Maine.

One game at a time though, LFG BEAT DELAWARE!
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

The big attendance problem for this game is the long weekend with a lot of students going home. I think the West will sell out. The East? Maybe half full?
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Rams>Hens
0 x
GO RAMS
Native
ARD

Unread post by Native »

URI is the slight favorite in this clash of two Top-25 teams.

The game will be televised locally on Cox YurView (in addition to being streamed on FloFootball).

Kickoff is at 1:05pm.

. . Go Rhody!
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago The big attendance problem for this game is the long weekend with a lot of students going home. I think the West will sell out. The East? Maybe half full?
I’m optimistic. Good football might convince the kids to stick around and party in gansett tonight
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

No turnovers against Bryant or SB. How about one more? Give me five! (Wins) Off to the doubleheader! Go Rhody!
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The UD QB is out:

1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Another nail biter!
1 x
Native
ARD

Unread post by Native »

FInal score:

URI 22, Delaware 15

in a very entertaining game, URI football playing at home defeats Delaware to go to 5-0
Last edited by Native 2 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

UNDEFEATED RHODY
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

5 and 0 BABY!!!!!!
2 x
Kirby.Krackle
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Kirby.Krackle »

This was the proof of concept.

This team is legit!!!
1 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

A type of game the old Rhody teams would have lost. This year they are making the key plays late. Fortunes are changing.
3 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Great job Fleming and Thorr. Never thought I’d see a 5-0 URI squad.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

That interception in the endzone was amazing. Great play.
3 x
Kirby.Krackle
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Kirby.Krackle »

The most shocking thing about this team to me is that the defense is our best unit. They are making key plays and are dominating that side of the ball.

I knew we had the talent, but I honestly never though Fleming would put together a good defense.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

URI is now a football school lol.
2 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Kirby.Krackle wrote: 2 years ago The most shocking thing about this team to me is that the defense is our best unit. They are making key plays and are dominating that side of the ball.

I knew we had the talent, but I honestly never though Fleming would put together a good defense.
You recruit a 4-star lineman, get LBs from BC and Lackawana and get Tippett and voila, you have a defense!
2 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

This was the first game I’ve watched them play in years and it was a great win. One thing I noticed though, and I don’t know if this is the norm with Fleming, is the clock management was horrible. Toward the end of the first half when they had all the time in the world, they were hurrying too much to get to the LOS when they should have been worrying about taking time off the clock. It ended up working out because Delaware got the ball back and threw an INT but they never should have gotten the ball back in the first place. Then at the end of the half after their INT they called a TO with nine seconds left instead of running it down to four or three. Why would you give the other team an extra play when you don’t have to? At the end of the third quarter, I believe they could have run the clock out because I think there was more time on the play clock than the game clock. The FG felt rushed and it almost cost them the game after the block. They had also already missed an XP on that side. Why not let it go to the 4th, give your team time, and try the kick on the other side where you’d already had success? I also hated the decision to kick the FG to tie the game. It worked out but the defense couldn’t stop Delaware at all in the second half. It was 4th and two and the way the kicking had been that kick was no gimme. I thought that the only way they’d win was by scoring a TD there. Again, it worked out but with the way the game was trending I thought URI absolutely needed a TD in that drive.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

This team is officially for real. Past opponents have been mediocre at best, until the Hens. Go Rams!
Last edited by Rhodymob05 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
GO RAMS
Native
ARD

Unread post by Native »

from the Providence Journal
URI remains on path

from the Westerly Sun
URI knocks off Delaware

from YurView Sports
1 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

You know things are going your way when you drop a sure interception on 3rd down and the 4th down punt gets blocked and returned for a touchdown. Great punt block, and the bounce after the block was the second bit of good fortune.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

JimSidd wrote: 2 years ago You know things are going your way when you drop a sure interception on 3rd down and the 4th down punt gets blocked and returned for a touchdown. Great punt block, and the bounce after the block was the second bit of good fortune.
That's the difference between good teams and bad teams.
Good teams get the bounces...bad teams say, "if only _____"
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

JimSidd wrote: 2 years ago You know things are going your way when you drop a sure interception on 3rd down and the 4th down punt gets blocked and returned for a touchdown. Great punt block, and the bounce after the block was the second bit of good fortune.
And they fumble and Deleware recovers but the player had a few toes out of bounds.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago
208, just like the G-men against Washington and Atlanta.

Yeah neither team is very good, but the Giants could very easily be 3-1 right now.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago
208, just like the G-men against Washington and Atlanta.

Yeah neither team is very good, but the Giants could very easily be 3-1 right now.
Over the last few years the Giants have made an art form out of losing close games
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

You can tell from the stands that we want to be a football school. Need to take care of business against Towson, and I think you’ll sell out no matter how we do against Nova on the road.

1st place in the CAA midway through the season, on the way to a top 15 ranking. This is fun.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I imagine Thorr is VERY happy now that we have a good football team.

Maybe also more donors will step up big time in order to make a new East stands a reality.

Everyone loves a winner.
1 x