'22 IL/MN SG Brenden Moss (Kent State)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

'22 IL/MN SG Brenden Moss (Kent State)

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Guess we aren't done recruiting guards. He is 6'5" so he could end up playing wing.
1 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Re: '22 IL/MN SG Brenden Moss (Offer)

Unread post by McRam »

Another 2 star? Huh?
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Wish this kid the best but I really hope Cox can do better than this..
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

A 2 star recruit ? You mean like Jarvis Garrett was a 2 star recruit ? Or would you rather have a 4 star recruit like Jermaine Harris ? I think we
should have all learned by now that these ratings don't really tell you much about predicting the future success or failure of a recruit . we have to
trust the scouts and the coaches to make sense of what they see the same as professional baseball teams do when they draft high school kids . It
is really a crap shoot for them and so it is for college basketball as well. if a coach and his assistants fail at this evaluation often enough they find
themselves out of work sooner or later . They understand this , so deciding on a player based on a rating alone is a formula for failure. The coaches
have seen this kid . Is he a top priority or a back up plan ? we don't know. But the kid's rating may not accurately represent his talent . we will see.
5 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

luke wrote: 2 years ago A 2 star recruit ? You mean like Jarvis Garrett was a 2 star recruit ? Or would you rather have a 4 star recruit like Jermaine Harris ? I think we
should have all learned by now that these ratings don't really tell you much about predicting the future success or failure of a recruit . we have to
trust the scouts and the coaches to make sense of what they see the same as professional baseball teams do when they draft high school kids . It
is really a crap shoot for them and so it is for college basketball as well. if a coach and his assistants fail at this evaluation often enough they find
themselves out of work sooner or later . They understand this , so deciding on a player based on a rating alone is a formula for failure. The coaches
have seen this kid . Is he a top priority or a back up plan ? we don't know. But the kid's rating may not accurately represent his talent . we will see.
When someone had the list of URI players by star / recruiting ranking, the better players were toward the top. But the correlation wasn't all that strong - There were 3 and 4-star busts, and there were 2-star All-A10 players. I'd rather have a team full of 4-stars, but I'm not going to get worried unless we're recruiting players that barely have any tape or write-ups. I think that's what was happening more toward the end of the Baron years, for example.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

luke wrote: 2 years ago A 2 star recruit ? You mean like Jarvis Garrett was a 2 star recruit ? Or would you rather have a 4 star recruit like Jermaine Harris ? I think we
Jarvis was a 3 star recruit.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Anyway, if you want to disregard the ranking, look at his other offers. For most of our current offers, we are by far the best offer. Maybe Cox sees something in these kids that other schools aren't. But are we that confident in his ability to judge talent right now?
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

What's the endorsement offer on a 2* player these days?
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Because their is an offer, it doesn’t mean they will accept a commitment. Sometimes, offers are made just in case. Fall back plans and contingencies are just a part of the game. I guarantee some higher profile offers are about to come in for this kid, which again, don’t mean a damn thing until a commitment Is actually accepted.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago Anyway, if you want to disregard the ranking, look at his other offers. For most of our current offers, we are by far the best offer. Maybe Cox sees something in these kids that other schools aren't. But are we that confident in his ability to judge talent right now?
[/

Judge talent, maybe. Use talent ????????
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

No question that stars can be misleading , but, in general, higher ranked players will more often turn out to be the real thing. Certainly does not mean that a 2 star can,t make it, but if your roster is filled with 2 star players , you are Fordham.
1 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

By the way, I remember Jarvis as a three star player. Anyone remember for sure?
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

McRam wrote: 2 years ago By the way, I remember Jarvis as a three star player. Anyone remember for sure?
Jarvis was a 3 star and I’m 99% sure he was choosing between us and Marquette. He was also known as one of the best point guards left. This kid has been offered by a bunch of low majors and us.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago
McRam wrote: 2 years ago By the way, I remember Jarvis as a three star player. Anyone remember for sure?
Jarvis was a 3 star and I’m 99% sure he was choosing between us and Marquette. He was also known as one of the best point guards left. This kid has been offered by a bunch of low majors and us.
Here is the recruiting thread from KB for Jarvis

http://keaneyblue.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1529
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Thanks, that was what I remembered. !
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

not that it is that important ESPN was one of the first ratings on Garrett and you will note from the thread that they had him as a 2 star . I realize
that most on the board kind of discount ESPN's rating , and others had him as a 3 star .
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Murray State? What’s the K?
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Kent St
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

DC_Rams wrote: 2 years ago Because their is an offer, it doesn’t mean they will accept a commitment. Sometimes, offers are made just in case. Fall back plans and contingencies are just a part of the game. I guarantee some higher profile offers are about to come in for this kid, which again, don’t mean a damn thing until a commitment Is actually accepted.
Guarantee???
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Since there's no film of him posted yet....he's a lefty.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Interesting. Why is is so lightly recruited?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago Interesting. Why is is so lightly recruited?
He has 15 offers as listed in verbalcommits.com
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago His twitter.

https://twitter.com/brenden_moss
It looks like he is a serious student who would make the most of his opportunity.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

More recent video. Looks a little stronger and quicker. Maybe it's because he's left handed, but his shot looks a lot like EC's, especially his release and the way he sets his feet
1 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Anybody know where he’s going?
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

Solid A-10 player
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

CamsRams wrote: 2 years ago Anybody know where he’s going?
Numerous offers....surprised by the final 4
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Kent State, per his Twitter.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Re: '22 IL/MN SG Brenden Moss (Kent State)

Unread post by adam914 »

Not too surprising, we certainly seemed like the outliers among that group.
1 x
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

Moss is a low major player. I question how serious URI’s interest was. Seems to me that he was trying to make it seem like he had stronger offers than he really did.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Not surprised, I wonder if our offer was still valid.
He can play alongside Sincere Carry (Duquesne transfer) and our own DJ in 22-23.

I think we are good at SG in 22-23 with AB and Chance, not sure if we see either Ish or Tres at PG next season.
Also hope for much improvement from Carey. If he comes close to his recruiting rankings we should be set. Maybe Thomas will also see the floor for spot minutes. I feel comfortable with our depth at guard.

I would prefer us to get a stretch 4, with the remaining scholarship.
Although you can't get enough elite shooters at any position.
0 x
RAMFAN
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RAMFAN »

can we unpin recruits who've been here a year? this was like 10th down
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

RAMFAN wrote: 2 years ago can we unpin recruits who've been here a year? this was like 10th down
Since it's pretty easy to scroll past the pins, no. I don't even browse the board by individual forums, though - Bookmark this page, and just check out all of the new posts since you last visited the board.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

PCFriars wrote: 2 years ago Moss is a low major player. I question how serious URI’s interest was. Seems to me that he was trying to make it seem like he had stronger offers than he really did.
I hope you're right and that we weren't seriously recruiting him. Because if we're fighting Cleveland State and Murray State and losing recruits to Kent State then we are well and truly porked
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines