Dustin Hellenga next guest on Podcast

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Dustin Hellenga next guest on Podcast

Unread post by sbrand »

Hey guys. I guess Jarvis Garrett is on hold for a podcast as well as Thorr Bjorn. Hopefully, they will be on in the future. One of your suggested guests is Dustin Hellenga and he gratefully accepted the opportunity. I would like to know if you have any questions and/or able to locate his game winning half court shot video footage.

As always I appreciate your participation. Great questions make great interviews. Looking forward to hearing your response.

Thanks Scott Brand
4 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Re: Dustin Hellenga next guest on Podcast

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Woohoo! Would love to know what he’s doing now.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

It looks like he opened up a gym.
0 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

sbrand wrote: 2 years ago It looks like he opened up a gym.
He also opened the Ryan Center with a sweet baseline jumper in the closing seconds vs USC.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

You will have to ask him about the winning shot to beat USC in the 2002 Ryan Center opener and the PC snow RC game in 2003. Ask him how much he was feeling it versus PC when it seemed everything he heaved up was going in, including the 35 foot three as the shot clock wound down with 10 minutes left. That shot put URI ahead by two giving them a lead they would never relinquish. Another memorable basket was the winner at Dayton.

Also ask him about coming to and later leaving URI. From my memory, he was a late addition to the roster. See if he will comment on his leaving URI early and whether he had any regrets.
2 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Ask him to explain CFL's offense. Some of us watched for years and years and couldn't begin to explain how it was supposed to work.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

I know this sounds crazy but he was 2000 day folk hero and wild child.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I think I mentioned it in the other thread, but - What was his mindset his senior year? It looks like he dropped out and didn't play anywhere, and then surfaced in some pro leagues the next year. Was it an academics issue, a family issue, something else? Since that was 15 years ago, I'm assuming he might be willing to talk about it now.

He's one of the first players I can remember shooting from VERY deep, even before Steph Curry showed that it could be viable for some shooters. Did he have that kind of green light from anywhere in high school? Was it something he consciously thought about - shooting an extra step to five steps deep, to avoid defenders? Or, just something that resulted from how aggressive his game was in general?
1 x
Native
ARD

Unread post by Native »

Dustin Hellenga came to URI after playing high school ball in Virginia and after playing prep ball at Winchendon School in Massachusetts, but his family roots are in the state of Michigan; after he left URI he went to Michigan, where he attended Grand Valley State University.

(1) why did he come to Rhode Island to play basketball?

(2) why did he leave URI when he still had eligibility remaining? What life lessons did he learn during his time in Rhode Island?

(3) what are his happiest memories playing professionally overseas? What did he learn during his time overseas?

(2) what impact did his family have on his development as a student athlete? In particular, what impact did his grandfather Wayne Hellenga have on him during his athletic career? His grandfather Wayne Hellenga was a WWII veteran, a high school science teacher, and ultimately the superintendent of the Decatur, Michigan, public school system; as an adult, Dustin’s grandfather Wayne Hellenga was for many years a member of the Michigan High School Athletic Association, receiving in 1987 the John Forsythe Award for continuing excellence in the inter-scholastic community.

(3) when was the last time he was on the URI campus? How did that go?

(4) what involvement with the sport of basketball does Dustin currently have? Does he still play?

(5) Did he ever coach basketball himself? If yes, how did that work out? If never a coach, why not?
Last edited by Native 2 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

sbrand wrote: 2 years ago I know this sounds crazy but he was 2000 day folk hero and wild child.

It's not crazy cuz it is true. He lived in my floor in Butterfield and I had classes with him. He was a good dude. I remember he got a huge dog when he moved off campus.
0 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Amazing intel. There isn’t that much on the Internet.
0 x
Native
ARD

Unread post by Native »

during Dustin’s time at URI, the basketball players in the same graduating class year as Dustin were

Dawan Robinson G (6-3 185)
Dustin Hellenga G (6-4 200)
Jamaal Wise F (6-5 200)
Marcel Momplasir F (6-7 200)
Jeff Kalapos G (6-5 192)
  • Looking back at his time at URI, what is Dustin’s recollection of each of his “same year” teammates?
  • after Dustin’s departure from URI, what interaction (if any) did Dustin have with them?
1 x
Native
ARD

Unread post by Native »

https://www.gettyimages.ie/detail/news- ... to/1500671

4-Dec-2001: guard Dustin Hellenga #24 of the Rhode Island Rams dunks over forward Sam Clancy #50 of the USC Trojans during the NCAA game played at the Sports Arena in Los Angeles, California. In that game, USC crushed Rhode Island 82-54.

<photo Credit=Jeff Gross/Getty Image>

• Everyone who attended the Ryan Center opener in 2002 remembers Rhody’s improbable 73-71 overtime win over USC (courtesy of a Dustin Hellenga twisting contested floater lofted with 2.2 seconds remaining that found nothing but the bottom of the net). But what does Dustin remember of the URI-USC game played the previous year on the West Coast?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Nice throw down dunk Dusty !!
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Oh, I also forgot to ask in my initial post - Does he remember playing my team in Oozeball one year, and beating the crap out of us? (Okay, not my team specifically, but - I'm pretty sure he and some other basketball players had a squad one year, and got pretty far. I could have sworn he beat us in the round of like, 16 or 32, if such a thing exists for Oozeball.)
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

My memory is he left team after losing starting position.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago My memory is he left team after losing starting position.
Who beat him out? If I recall, we ended up starting freshman like Parfait and Lucky in 04.
04 could have been an interesting year if Dustin returned, Dawan (and Jamaal Wise) were healthy along with Scott Hazelton, instead it ended up as a dumpster fire.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Bos8 wrote: 2 years ago
Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago My memory is he left team after losing starting position.
Who beat him out? If I recall, we ended up starting freshman like Parfait and Lucky in 04.
04 could have been an interesting year if Dustin returned, Dawan (and Jamaal Wise) were healthy along with Scott Hazelton, instead it ended up as a dumpster fire.
Saw this.

Kingston, RI (Sports Network) – Dustin Hellenga, a three-year starter, has been kicked off the University of Rhode Island men’s basketball team. Coach Jim Baron cited lack of academic responsibility for the decision. Hellenga was third on the team in scoring this past season at 11.2 points per game.

Also this, scroll down to final note.
https://duquesne.rivals.com/news/things ... -10-update

I agree with you Bos8, 2004-5 could of been interesting if not for the unfortunate turn of events.
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Native
ARD

Unread post by Native »

sbrand — check your PM’s
0 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Wow breaking news. I will ask him about this in some kind of non-threatening manner.

So he had the game winning shot against USC. Wasn’t there another one at halfcourt?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

sbrand wrote: 2 years ago Wow breaking news. I will ask him about this in some kind of non-threatening manner.

So he had the game winning shot against USC. Wasn’t there another one at halfcourt?
He had a game winning off balance shot (3 pt) from the baseline catching an inbound pass to beat Dayton 65-63 March 3, 2004.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... /240632168
0 x
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

That 04-05 could have been great!! They went toe to toe with #1 team in the country at the end of the 03-04 campaign. With Hazelton, then Robinson,Wise (not getting hurt) and if Dustin stuck around.....what could have been.

Dustin stopped attending all classes after the NIT loss to West Virginia. That is why he got the boot. Nobody on that team beat him out for a spot.
1 x
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

The 2004-2005 A10 was as bad as I ever remember. Had those players not gotten injured and Hellenga come back they easily could have taken the conference.
0 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

So the Dustin Hellenga podcast is back. My question is wasn’t the game winner versus USC the corner 3. That’s what I see on YouTube.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

You are correct but I think it was a fallaway 2
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Rhody Vault has a shot of it in one of his videos:

Fadeaway 2, about roughly mid-range.
1 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Thanks. I have a version of the same video that is poor quality and I thought it was a fadeaway 3. Thanks. Not really a floater but definitely midrange.
0 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Just checking in to see if anyone has Dustin's 35 shot versus PC on video.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Here you go I uploaded it for you
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Good job Stevey!!
2 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Dustin doesn't even have this. Stevey you the man.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

sbrand wrote: 1 year ago Dustin doesn't even have this. Stevey you the man.
Nothing but net. Love the reactions after the shot!
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Scott, I made a video with all the best Hellenga highlights I could find from that game. Hope that helps!
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

It's perfect. I will definitely use it and give you the credit. Anything you want me to say. Like go to your YouTube channel or fomenting else.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Tremendous compilation! Thanks, Stevey!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago

Here you go I uploaded it for you
Jimmy Baron range right there !!
0 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Well Dustin comes out to the public after a 20 year hiatus and kind of explains where he was.

2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Thanks again Scott, nicely done as usual and a well-deserved shout out to Stevey.

Fun to catch up with Dustin and glad he keeps in touch with some of his teammates.

He will always be regarded as quite a character.
0 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Thanks Jersey,

Yes Stevey is the man and very talented about breaking down film and keeping his ear to the ground and getting scoops without compromising the recruiting effort until it is signed and sealed.

Dustin would be the first guy I want to have a beer with from all the Rhody players that I have gotten to know. He is so honest and has such great sayings that I could talk to him all the time.

I am glad that he has come out to Rhody Nation. We should invite him to the board for a Q & A?
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Scott, another enjoyable interview. Glad to hear and see Dustin is doing well.

The game video’s brought back great memories. Dustin’s energy he played - especially when he was feeling it from the outside - was infectious.

BTW…I like the Curly (of 3 Stooges fame) wrestling thing Dustin has working with the beard and lack of hair on his head. Go Rhody and go Stooges! Lol

Thanks, Scott.
0 x
Rhodyram99
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhodyram99 »

Good interview. I always wondered why Dustin left , did he leave school or was he removed from team?
0 x