Covid-19 Effect on College Basketball & Other Sports

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: Covid-19 Effect on College Basketball & Other Sports

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

If people are seriously still thinking covid and the flu are comparable...

Yikes.
You are totally missing the point...yikes :roll:

My company is REQUIRING the covid vax and 'recommending' the flu shot, with the same reason given for both - so that we don't get each other sick, or our customers sick, and we are available to serve them. Yeah, I might be out for a week with the flu, or a month with covid. I'm still out...so, if the point is to be available and not get people sick, why don't they require both?

I think we know that the answer is..."we're getting there"...but they don't want to push too far too soon and lose control momentum...
Stop putting COVID and the flu in the same sentence. They're not the same and not comparable. COVID is filling up hospitals with patients (and morgues with ex-patients)...Delta variant transmits like chicken pox. COVID can lead to long haul effects which will need to be addressed and studied for years. One is a pandemic and the other occurs more seasonally. Please ask a medical professional for further clarification on the differences. Thanks.
Point.

You.
2 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago ……..well there it is……got my shots and will boost when needed…….and to think, we almost had this freakin thing beat……..and now here we are because of, what???????? You tell me……So I guess put the dam mask on again, watch game through foggy glasses……I guess better then sitting at home again….
No. No, it isn't. Time to reach out to Tyler...
Going to be about 2000 people at best at these games. No need to social distance as there will be plenty of empty seats between people. No chance after getting both shots I am going to the Ryan center and wearing a mask
2 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Was watching NCAA girls volleyball on tv last night.. full arenas. Everyone in masks.. crowds were loud and thoroughly enjoying themselves. I can't believe a true fan who hasn't been able to go to a game in over a year would stay home because of a piece of cloth.. my wife and I are chomping on the bit for some live entertainment. If people had done the right thing in the first place we wouldn't be in this position. Can't wait for that first 🍕 at twisted and nice cold 🍻.. then cheering on the rams.. see you other "fans" next year maybe 😃
7 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Oh yeah I wear glasses and they fog up. I can think of worse things in life to deal with. Fires, hurricanes, getting covid, etc.. see some of you in November
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

ram1980 wrote: 2 years ago Was watching NCAA girls volleyball on tv last night.. full arenas. Everyone in masks.. crowds were loud and thoroughly enjoying themselves. I can't believe a true fan who hasn't been able to go to a game in over a year would stay home because of a piece of cloth.. my wife and I are chomping on the bit for some live entertainment. If people had done the right thing in the first place we wouldn't be in this position. Can't wait for that first 🍕 at twisted and nice cold 🍻.. then cheering on the rams.. see you other "fans" next year maybe 😃
THIS x 1000
5 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Well, bully for y'all! Enjoy that!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I've never understood why wearing a mask is so difficult for some people in the middle of a pandemic. Someone enlighten me.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago I've never understood why wearing a mask is so difficult for some people in the middle of a pandemic. Someone enlighten me.
Was there a point to getting vaxxed? If I'm vaccinated, who am I "protecting" by wearing a mask?
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago I've never understood why wearing a mask is so difficult for some people in the middle of a pandemic. Someone enlighten me.
Was there a point to getting vaxxed?
Tools to slow the spread, allow it to mutate and avoid the mess we're in now. Search MU if you're interested.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
Tools to slow the spread, allow it to mutate and avoid the mess we're in now. Search MU if you're interested.
Me, vaccinated, wearing a mask...is not 'protecting' anyone. And, if people don't believe that and are otherwise concerned, they can wear a mask if they want, or, if they really think it's dangerous...stay home.

Yeah...that "two weeks to slow the spread" thing - way back when - worked out great, huh? I'm wondering if wearing masks isn't just extending the misery and keeping nature from running it course.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Me, vaccinated, wearing a mask...is not 'protecting' anyone. And, if people don't believe that and are otherwise concerned, they can wear a mask if they want, or, if they really think it's dangerous...stay home.

Yeah...that "two weeks to slow the spread" thing - way back when - worked out great, huh? I'm wondering if wearing masks isn't just extending the misery and keeping nature from running it course.
The vaccine is 90 some% effective. Some people will still get infected when vaccinated. If you are one in the 7% or so who gets infected despite being vaccinated, you will most likely have mild symptoms are even be asymptomatic and not even know if you have it. If you do have it and wear a mask, you ABSOLUTELY are protecting someone else from getting it.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

The vaccine is 90 some% effective. Some people will still get infected when vaccinated. If you are one in the 7% or so who gets infected despite being vaccinated, you will most likely have mild symptoms are even be asymptomatic and not even know if you have it. If you do have it and wear a mask, you ABSOLUTELY are protecting someone else from getting it.
What does the end game look like? Is there one? (seriously) Do you think it ever ends? Or, is it masks forever for everyone everywhere?
ETA: If protecting 'someone else' is the concern, 'someone else' can wear a mask...and maybe...get vaccinated.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

What does the end game look like? Is there one? (seriously) Do you think it ever ends? Or, is it masks forever for everyone everywhere?
ETA: If protecting 'someone else' is the concern, 'someone else' can wear a mask...and maybe...get vaccinated.
That's the problem. Millions of people in this country will not get vaccinated. Down south, the numbers are horrendous. A lot of states are barely at 50%. Eventually I assume so many people will die that herd immunity will be reached. Each mutation is getting stronger and the MU variant might evade the vaccines (as will mutations after that). That's probably the end game, unfortunately.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

That's the problem. Millions of people in this country will not get vaccinated. Down south, the numbers are horrendous. A lot of states are barely at 50%. Eventually I assume so many people will die that herd immunity will be reached. Each mutation is getting stronger and the MU variant might evade the vaccines (as will mutations after that). That's probably the end game, unfortunately.
And vaxxed me, by wearing a mask, will have no influence on any of that...
People need to assess risks they're willing to take for themselves.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

But if you weren't vaxxed or masked, it would. Our generation is going to have to learn to live with this. It's not going away any time soon. Unfortunately, we haven't been doing a very good job so far. Assessing risks is definitely part of it.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

But if you weren't vaxxed or masked, it would. Our generation is going to have to learn to live with this. It's not going away any time soon. Unfortunately, we haven't been doing a very good job so far. Assessing risks is definitely part of it.
Egg-zachly. We need to learn to live with this...and allow people to live with it the way they want to...and not make everyone wear a mask just because it makes some people feel better.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Egg-zachly. We need to learn to live with this...and allow people to live with it the way they want to...and not make everyone wear a mask just because it makes some people feel better.
I'll just end this by saying.....my daughter is an RN in a hospital in Pittsburgh. She has seen the horrors of what this disease does and I have seen what it has done to her. That's the main reason I have such strong feelings about it.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I'll just end this by saying.....my daughter is an RN in a hospital in Pittsburgh. She has seen the horrors of what this disease does and I have seen what it has done to her. That's the main reason I have such strong feelings about it.
Seems a ton of talk about wearing masks but how long does this masking go on for? We heard that once vaccinated we could ditch the masks - but now they are back - I get the Delta variant reasoning but still.
I feel for the hospital workers, nurses, doctors.
People who were anti-vax have stories everyday who now say they should not have been antivax once they are dying or have their loved ones dying.

Even the best states are only 70-75% vaccinated among eligible. Why can't the government just say all must be vaccinated like when I was in elementary school? What changed?? Why can't the government, in conjunction with insurance companies, simply say we will not cover your hospital bills for COVID (could be $100,000 or far more if on ventilators) if you refused vaccination? Why can't medicare say we will cover as normal if you get vaccinated but if you refuse medicare will only cover 50% of normal if you refuse vaccination?

After all this time people have had all opportunities to get vaccinated. So as 208 seems to be saying, why should I mask, as a vaccinated person, to protect people who refused vaccination?

The original theme was "flatten the curve". Ultimately everybody is either going to be those vaccinated, those vaccinated AND got Covid, those who got Covid and never vaccinated and then those who never vaccinated and never got Covid - which will be a very small number in the long run.

So let the non-vaxers get Covid - the much more contagious Delta and future more contagious variants will make non-vaxers get infected - it's just a matter of time.

BUT, the longer we stretch out and flatten the curve by masking, masking and masking the more more chance we give Variants to reinvent themselves and represent danger to those who got vaccinations in the first place! What happens when the Variant can't be stopped by Moderna, Pfizer, J&J, Astra-Zeneca, N-cino and others

Best case - everyone get vaccinated - but not likely based on the vaccination slowness and reluctance now.
Those who are anti-vac then get Covid (anit-vaxers are probably anti-maskers to a high degree too) and then we hit herd immunity sooner - and put out the COVID fire for good. Dragging this out may be the worst thing we could do.

I think. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

I'm exhausted by the duration of this ordeal. Everyone in my family and circle of friends have been vaccinated - I'd want it no other way.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

For Football tonight:
  • Masks are not required in the stands
  • Masks are required if you go into the Ryan Center for food/drink or to chat. Ryan is accessable from the West Home Seats.
For Basketball:
  • At this time, Masks Will be required.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago For Football tonight:
  • Masks are required if you go into the Ryan Center for food/drink or to chat. Ryan is accessable from the West Home Seats.
For Basketball:
So URI, who requires every student, and now every staff member be fully vaccinated, is requiring masks at the RC? Can someone please explain the science behind this?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
For Basketball:
So URI, who requires every student, and now every staff member be fully vaccinated, is requiring masks at the RC? Can someone please explain the science behind this?
Masks are required everywhere on campus. University is going by State recommendations. Even if you are the only person in the Track & Field Building you must wear a mask. This all went into effect in early August. Football is different because it is outdoors.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
For Basketball:
Masks are required everywhere on campus. University is going by State recommendations. Even if you are the only person in the Track & Field Building you must wear a mask. This all went into effect in early August. Football is different because it is outdoors.
I get that. But what is the science behind vaxxed people having to where a mask? Since everyone on campus is required to be vaxxed. Why the mask? Either the vaxx works, or it doesn't.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I get that. But what is the science behind vaxxed people having to where a mask? Since everyone on campus is required to be vaxxed. Why the mask? Either the vaxx works, or it doesn't.
It's the 'new science', triple S, or S cubed....Selective Subjective Science
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Ask the Governor I guess......

SOUTH KINGSTOWN, R.I. (AP) — The University of Rhode Island is now requiring all students, faculty, staff and visitors to wear masks when in inside spaces where people gather, including classrooms, laboratories, and dining facilities.
The university in a statement Thursday said the new guidelines are in line with the announcement by Gov. Daniel McKee’s administration that masks are required inside all state facilities, even for people who are fully vaccinated.
The guidance was made as the delta variant of the coronavirus fuels a surge of new confirmed coronavirus cases in the state.
URI said exceptions will be made for people with documented medical reasons.
“The university has taken this important step as it prepares to welcome 17,000 students and nearly 3,000 employees to the community during the next month,” the school said in its announcement.
Student-athletes will be required follow the same protocols, with the exception of training and competition, as defined by the NCAA.
“We hope that by taking this step, our students and the URI community can return to a ‘near normal’ fall semester and participate in a full range of on-campus activities,” the school said.
The state Department of Health on Friday reported nearly 350 new confirmed cases from the previous day, the highest single-day total since April 20.
The state’s rate of new cases per 100,000 population in the past seven days is now more than 163.
Almost 668,000 people in the state have now been fully vaccinated against the coronavirus.

https://apnews.com/article/health-coron ... bfbd07a87a
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

If you're vaccinated, you can serve as a carrier for the virus, even if you have zero or minimal symptoms yourself. The masks cut down on the ability to act as a carrier.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago If you're vaccinated, you can serve as a carrier for the virus, even if you have zero or minimal symptoms yourself. The masks cut down on the ability to act as a carrier.
So the vaccines don't work? But they say vaccinated people won't be affected too bad.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago If you're vaccinated, you can serve as a carrier for the virus, even if you have zero or minimal symptoms yourself. The masks cut down on the ability to act as a carrier.
So the vaccines don't work? But they say vaccinated people won't be affected too bad.
Right. But masks do.
1 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

I do not see the value for students being charged full tuition for the current experience being offered to them.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

So if I'm getting the logic:
1) everyone should get a vaccine
2) but if you get a vaccine you still need to wear a mask.
3) which says to me the vaccine doesn't work.
4) so why get a vaccine?
5) and if this is political, it isn't working.
1 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

The vaccine works but is not 100%. If a vaccinated person does get covid they will not end up in the hospital but could still spread it. If that vaccinated person spread it to an unvaccinated person, they could end up in the hospital. Hence the masks. No vaccine is 100%. I have gotten the flu afterr getting thee flu shot. My case was just more mild.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

The death rate for vaccinated people that have contracted Covid is 0.0020 percent. The hospitalization rate for vaccinated people is about 26 per 100,000.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Roz wrote: 2 years ago The vaccine works but is not 100%. If a vaccinated person does get covid they will not end up in the hospital but could still spread it. If that vaccinated person spread it to an unvaccinated person, they could end up in the hospital. Hence the masks. No vaccine is 100%. I have gotten the flu afterr getting thee flu shot. My case was just more mild.
So why do I have to be mandated to do something because someone does not want a vaccine? It's their choice. They made their decision. Why does that affect me?
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Roz wrote: 2 years ago The vaccine works but is not 100%. If a vaccinated person does get covid they will not end up in the hospital but could still spread it. If that vaccinated person spread it to an unvaccinated person, they could end up in the hospital. Hence the masks. No vaccine is 100%. I have gotten the flu afterr getting thee flu shot. My case was just more mild.
So why do I have to be mandated to do something because someone does not want a vaccine? It's their choice. They made their decision. Why does that affect me?
Science?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Because an unvaccinated person can give you (the vaccinated person) COVID, and then you can then give COVID to another unvaccinated person.

Solution 1: mandatory vaccination for all - then don’t need mandatory masking. Ironic we can mandate masking but not vaccination

Solution 2: no masks, let unvaccinated get COVID quicker (eventually unvaccinated will get COVID anyway) then the end result of herd immunity arrives sooner and COVID can’t develop more dangerous variants. Longer it sticks around the more variants will develop

Solution 3: continue on, all get either vaccinated, COVID or both and hope it doesn’t get too drawn out that more dangerous variants than Delta develop
1 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

I like solution 1. The longer the virus hangs around, the more likely it will mutate again.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Australia changing strategy on lockdowns.....

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-58406526
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Exactly. What is the end game? For those people that are that concerned about Covid after getting vaccinated they should stay home in their house and not attend the URI basketball if they feel this will never subside. Get groceries delivered and don't leave until there is an end to this. I got vaccinated and have had enough with this. I want my kids in school and not doing what my neighbor does in keeping their kids home from school for 2.5 school years and now and attempting to home school them on their own with no teaching education background. Time to move forward.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

As I've said a million times, the vaccines are 90 something % effective (94%, I think) That means it not 100%. There's still 6% that will still get it despite being vaccinated. That 6% will still spread the virus, thus the need for masks. Unless you're a gambler and you think 6% is low.I believe around 200 million Americans are vaccinated. Do the math. 6% of that number is 12 million. That's just the vaccinated. There are around 150 million unvaccinated. That's not going to work.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RamStock wrote: 2 years ago

Exactly. What is the end game? For those people that are that concerned about Covid after getting vaccinated they should stay home in their house and not attend the URI basketball if they feel this will never subside. Get groceries delivered and don't leave until there is an end to this. I got vaccinated and have had enough with this. I want my kids in school and not doing what my neighbor does in keeping their kids home from school for 2.5 school years and now and attempting to home school them on their own with no teaching education background. Time to move forward.
So, the people who do get vaccinated get punished and those who don't get vaccinated get to do whatever they want (which they already do anyway). Yeah, that sounds fair.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

RamStock wrote: 2 years ago

So, the people who do get vaccinated get punished and those who don't get vaccinated get to do whatever they want (which they already do anyway). Yeah, that sounds fair.
I'm vaccinated so you will have to ask someone who hasn't gone for their shots. I think everyone should get their shots. How about proof of vaccination at the Ryan Center upon entering? I am being punished and I tons of people who feel this way by continuing to wear masks after getting my shots as we were supposed to do.
2 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

DeanDome88 wrote: 2 years ago I do not see the value for students being charged full tuition for the current experience being offered to them.
Agree completely. Anyone going into their junior year has had a less than spectacular college memory at this point and is paying top dollar at whatever college they are attending.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

So one thing not being discussed here is the length of protection from the vaccine. There is a lot of science out there saying vaccine only offers protection for 5-6 months, after that it may help prevent hospitalizations but much more likely to contract. Everyone needs boosters at that point. How many people out there walking around have been vaccinated fir greater than 6 months? Makes vaccinated more likely to catch it, more likely to spread it.

As a personal testimony, my wife and I are both vaccinated, she tested positive for COVID two Monday’s ago. I never caught it, my 2 year old unvaccinated son never caught it. Seems improbable but it happened. Everyone is at risk, fortunately for her, symptoms were mild.

I think when most of us got the vaccine felt like we were safe from COVID and could resume life as it was before, but definitely not the case.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 2 years ago So one thing not being discussed here is the length of protection from the vaccine. There is a lot of science out there saying vaccine only offers protection for 5-6 months, after that it may help prevent hospitalizations but much more likely to contract. Everyone needs boosters at that point. How many people out there walking around have been vaccinated fir greater than 6 months? Makes vaccinated more likely to catch it, more likely to spread it.

As a personal testimony, my wife and I are both vaccinated, she tested positive for COVID two Monday’s ago. I never caught it, my 2 year old unvaccinated son never caught it. Seems improbable but it happened. Everyone is at risk, fortunately for her, symptoms were mild.

I think when most of us got the vaccine felt like we were safe from COVID and could resume life as it was before, but definitely not the case.
Ever again?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

…….ever again?……..sure get the unvaccinated numbers down……..tired of those folks whistling past the grave yard, and holding their social events where people go anyway……..
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Why are people so concerned about people who don't get vaxxed? They are in control of their own lives. If they don't get vaxxed and die, that was their choice. Why do I have to be inconvenienced by someone else's choice?
2 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

The more the virus spreads, the more it mutates. Everyone needs to play a part in limiting the spread.

The unvaccinated were also told they didn’t need the vaccine but needed to wear masks in public. Many said F U and I personally know dozens of unvaccinated people who don’t mask up and others fighting for “religious exemptions.”

I personally don’t thin arenas should force vaccine mandates but am totally ok with them requiring negative covid tests if you don’t want to prove vaccination status. If not don’t go.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

It's a coronavirus. Obviously created by China to infect humans. But it will mutate down to a common cold over time. Question is, will people in this country allow the science of gene mutation and gain of function to be tolerated? Cause it's happening.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago It's a coronavirus. Obviously created by China to infect humans. But it will mutate down to a common cold over time. Question is, will people in this country allow the science of gene mutation and gain of function to be tolerated? Cause it's happening.
It's blue science
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago It's a coronavirus. Obviously created by China to infect humans. But it will mutate down to a common cold over time. Question is, will people in this country allow the science of gene mutation and gain of function to be tolerated? Cause it's happening.
It's blue science
It certainly is not rocket surgery.
1 x