HOW A10 CAN STAY RELEVANT

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

HOW A10 CAN STAY RELEVANT

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

I'm curious to hear what people think. Any good suggestions out there? With all of the movement taking place amongst the Power 5, I feel like the A10 and more importantly, Rhody, needs to make a move at some point in the near future. Can't just sit back and do nothing right?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: HOW A10 CAN STAY RELEVANT

Unread post by theblueram »

I think the A10 needs to dump certain schools, consolidate and force investments. We have schools playing in gyms. They need to go. Set a minimum seating capacity. This league is so small time with some of these schools it's embarrassing. Playing at LaSalle or St Joe's or Fordham?
4 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Hire a coach that wins and sells tickets....and not someone to just 'keep people from leaving'?
4 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

Everyone always jump on dumping the Fordhams, LaSalle, etc
But I think the VCUs,Dayton, even Umass could be the real teams moving.
Umass
because of Football if a conference comes calling. Remember they were already kicked out of one. What if a school like UConn moves out of the big east if a conference comes calling because of football.
VCU,Dayton
Both good hoops programs. Dayton has the backing of fan support and VCU is in Richmond VA.
Rhody
needs to watch this very carefully. Because I hate to say it but Rhody may need the Fordhams, Lasalle.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhodysk wrote: 2 years ago Everyone always jump on dumping the Fordhams, LaSalle, etc
Umass
because of Football if a conference comes calling. Remember they were already kicked out of one. What if a school like UConn moves out of the big east if a conference comes calling because of football.
VCU,Dayton
Both good hoops programs. Dayton has the backing of fan support and VCU is in Richmond VA.
Rhody
needs to watch this very carefully. Because I hate to say it but Rhody may need the Fordhams, Lasalle.
If Rhody needs Fordham or Lasalle, You may want to find another sport to watch.
6 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhodysk wrote: 2 years ago Everyone always jump on dumping the Fordhams, LaSalle, etc
Umass
VCU,Dayton
Rhody

Wait, UConn move OUT of the Big East?

Rhody NEEDS Fordham and La Salle?

What are you talking about?
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Playing Fordham is always a lose lose. And awful to watch.
2 x
GO RAMS
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

We don't have to worry about the Leg-humpers leaving the Bigheaded East. The Cartel wouldn't want anything to do with that sorry-ass football program.
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
RhodyinCali
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RhodyinCali »

Would it make sense for Rhody to head to the CAA? Or we could fall down to the American East?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

…….I think the question is…….How URI can stay relevant…….just win baby, in whatever conference we are in……..
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

RhodyinCali wrote: 2 years ago Would it make sense for Rhody to head to the CAA? Or we could fall down to the American East?
Why the hell would we do that?
5 x
RAMFAN
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RAMFAN »

RhodyinCali wrote: 2 years ago Would it make sense for Rhody to head to the CAA? Or we could fall down to the American East?
no
3 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

If URI falls any lower then the A10, you can kiss relevancy of any kind goodbye. The A10/URI can remain relevant by scheduling and winning. Also by winning the big games (NCAA). High ranked recruiting creates a buzz, but their production is what can make you shine. Its all interconnected.
2 x
GO RAMS
Smokinjimit2
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Smokinjimit2 »

The team should hire a social media firm. Help the players increase their presence which would make them more money. Get a rep as the school that will help you get paid.

But we will probably get around to it in 10 years.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago If URI falls any lower then the A10, you can kiss relevancy of any kind goodbye. The A10/URI can remain relevant by scheduling and winning. Also by winning the big games (NCAA). High ranked recruiting creates a buzz, but their production is what can make you shine. Its all interconnected.
Hopefully the A10 won't get poached again by the BE or possibly the AAC. If so, they will need to react quickly.

I must say when the twins committed to Rhody, many of the basketball gurus took notice, now all we have to do is win with them.

I
4 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Of course there is no way that we can move down a level. That's out of the question. Maybe at some point a new league is formed. Who knows. Discussions about this stuff must be taking place at most schools as we speak.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Agreed that the A-10 needs to shed the dead weight - and I don't just mean record/tournament success - but program investment.

GW, La Salle, Fordham should be out. Buy them out, whatever. But their existence tends to kill all our team's at large chances.

Duquesne at least finally invested in a new facility and could be turning a new leaf.

St Joes will probably never be what they were without Martelli, and their facilities suck compared to the money they have available.

But at a minimum, this needs to be a 10 or 12 team league without the bum class at the bottom. And I don't mean "URI sucked last year" type bottom, they were still never a bad loss for anyone on the schedule.

This conference can't be a 3 bid or more conference because you have no way to avoid Q4 landmines that Fordham/La Salle/GW/SJU routinely provide.

The Big East is so successful on selection Sunday because their worst team is a quad 2 game on the road. You have 8-10 Q1 games on your schedule every season.

The A-10 struggles to keep many teams in Q1 because they play so many bad teams that even with a win, they go down in ranking.

Drop the dead weight, everyone would do better. At a minimum get Fordham/La Salle the F out. They don't invest. Their programs are historically garbage (La Salle's one miracle sweet 16 run was their only tournament experience in 3 decades), and they do not invest - in coaches, facilities, or anything. They have poor fan support. They belong in the CAA/Patriot/America East.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago If URI falls any lower then the A10, you can kiss relevancy of any kind goodbye. The A10/URI can remain relevant by scheduling and winning. Also by winning the big games (NCAA). High ranked recruiting creates a buzz, but their production is what can make you shine. Its all interconnected.
Hopefully the A10 won't get poached again by the BE or possibly the AAC. If so, they will need to react quickly.

I must say when the twins committed to Rhody, many of the basketball gurus took notice, now all we have to do is win with them.

I
The AAC is interesting. They may lose their top teams (Houston, Memphis, Cincy) to the Big 12 once Texas and Oklahoma move on (plus the rumors of Kansas maybe joining the Big Ten). The AAC also wants to tout themselves as a football-first conference and nobody in the A10 besides UMass has a FBS football program and nobody is really able to establish a FBS-caliber football program. Not sure what the AAC will do if they get hurt by the B12 poaching their top schools.
1 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

Each year, break the conference up into a “A-10 Premiere” and “A-10”. 7 teams in each league.

You play your normal non-conference schedule. Then, you play 6 games against conference foes (random, rotate every year). 3 away, 3 home.

After those games, the 7 schools with the highest NET advance to the “A-10 Premier”. You play 12 games (home and home against each team).

The “A-10” (non premiere) get the bottom 7 teams. They do the same 12 games against each other.

For the A-10 tournament, you have the 7-team premiere tournament and the 7-team A-10 (non-premiere) tournament at the same venue. The 1 seed in each Division get byes.

Then, the winner of the A-10 Premiere tourney plays the winner of the A-10 (non premiere) in the conference championship.
1 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

URI2006 Andy. Very creative idea for the A 10 Tournament . may be worth a try to at the very least it might bring a little extra interest from the media
as a curiosity , and it might be fun too . I'm not sure it would be very fair to the 4, 5 , 6 , 7 teams though or for the Premiere winner to have to play
a bottom team for the championship for that matter.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

There have been plenty of less extreme versions shared in the past - similar to the Conference USA model.

Every team plays the other conference members once and a local partner twice (14 games), and then gets placed into pods - Top 7 into one pod, bottom 7 into another. Play each team in your pod once. There is 20 games.

Conference Tournament seeding is based on the first 14 games.

I thought it has been stated A10 was not a fan of unconventional scheduling methods.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

luke wrote: 2 years ago URI2006 Andy. Very creative idea for the A 10 Tournament . may be worth a try to at the very least it might bring a little extra interest from the media
as a curiosity , and it might be fun too . I'm not sure it would be very fair to the 4, 5 , 6 , 7 teams though or for the Premiere winner to have to play
a bottom team for the championship for that matter.
I am actually okay with the A10T format the way it is currently set up.

Future OOC scheduling especially with the way the P5 is aligning itself, has me concerned.
Because of that I wouldn't mind the A10 expanding, also in case they are poached again by the BE.

It is doubtful that Fordham or LaSalle would be leaving the A10 any time soon.
I also hope Kyle Neptune succeeds there.

Two schools I wouldn't mind being added if possible are Loyola/Chicago (MVC) and Belmont (OVC).
Loyola has had much success and would bring in the Chicago market.
Belmont has been to the NCAAT 8 times since 2006, not including 26 wins last season.
They would also add the Nashville market.
Having both these teams would be geographically desirable for both SLU and Dayton.

I am just throwing this out there in response to this thread.
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

The benefits of the “Premier” League:

You get a new branding opportunity where the top teams in the league get showcased in their own conference with a 12 game schedule.

You have 3 seasons.

1. The Premier cut line - The non-conference games plus the 6 pre-conference games. Very important to make the cut to have a chance at an at large. (And for more ticket revenue because you’d be playing the best teams in the conference)

2. Conference play - 12 conference games. If your in the Premier league, can earn an at large by being successful.

3. Conference tournament- this is where the non-premier teams can be into it because you don’t have to face a premier team until the championship. (Also gives the conference an opportunity to sneak 1 more team in the tournament since you’re guaranteed to have a team in the finals that wouldn’t get an at-large.)

The negative is:

The schools and the league won’t know the 12 game conference schedule until January. The lack of certainty makes it hard for scheduling. But, with COVID, scheduling never certain anyways. Shouldn’t effect TV because you could schedule the Premeir league games into those time slots. Just wouldn’t know the teams until January.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Please tell us how and why this would make sense.

What the hell are you even talking about here?
0 x
Go Rhody
RhodyinCali
Abdul Fox

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

I just don't Rhody bball will continuously out perform those in the A-10 who are putting strong funds into their programs (VCU, Dayton, St. Louis). With our facilities at where they are, they would far outperform those in the CAA and American East. Cox's recruitment strength is in the DMV area and many of the CAA teams are within that area so those recruits would be able to play in front of friends and family. Recruiting is becoming more and more regional these days. Also the funds/resources from the state aren't typically the best so with the rest of the athletic programs being in those conferences success is more likely to happen often which builds up the athletic program instead of right now being a one shot winner besides Rowing, Track, maybe Mens soccer and the off shots Baseball and Basketball. Until the school/state step up, Rhody basketball will always be a stepping stone.

I threw out the American East just because of it's regional affiliation.

Just my opinion....
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The A-10 is trending down and getting at large bids from it becomes more difficult each year. College sports is controlled by the cartel power teams and they continue to consolidate power and squeeze other conferences and teams out. The A-10 is probably powerless to change this dynamic. It is further down the food chain and is always in reaction mode. I fear that the A-10 is headed toward becoming a one bid league. If that occurs, why remain in it? How would it then be different then the America East?
1 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago

The A-10 is trending down and getting at large bids from it becomes more difficult each year. College sports is controlled by the cartel power teams and they continue to consolidate power and squeeze other conferences and teams out. The A-10 is probably powerless to change this dynamic. It is further down the food chain and is always in reaction mode. I fear that the A-10 is headed toward becoming a one bid league. If that occurs, why remain in it? How would it then be different then the America East?
Yes A10 is trending down recently, but it's not close to being a one bid league. And, it can just as easily trend up If the teams that are projected to be in the top half can win more OOC games, especially against the Power 5 etc. I do think this is possible, but like in the past, close loses won't cut it. On another note, the A10 is not doing well in the tourney. In the same way that Butler and Loyola have made noise and headlines in the past, we need some A10 teams (hopefully us) to break through to the Sweet 16, and more importantly the Elite 8 and YES, the Final Four. When the league is knocked out on the first weekend it's a killer. We will never get the respect we want that way.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

RhodyinCali wrote: 2 years ago

I just don't Rhody bball will continuously out perform those in the A-10 who are putting strong funds into their programs (VCU, Dayton, St. Louis). With our facilities at where they are, they would far outperform those in the CAA and American East. Cox's recruitment strength is in the DMV area and many of the CAA teams are within that area so those recruits would be able to play in front of friends and family. Recruiting is becoming more and more regional these days. Also the funds/resources from the state aren't typically the best so with the rest of the athletic programs being in those conferences success is more likely to happen often which builds up the athletic program instead of right now being a one shot winner besides Rowing, Track, maybe Mens soccer and the off shots Baseball and Basketball. Until the school/state step up, Rhody basketball will always be a stepping stone.

Just my opinion....
"Recruiting is becoming more and more regional these days." - I realize that you're saying that this is just your opinion but you stating it as a fact. Do you have anything to back up this statement? In fact, recruiting is becoming less regional. Why??? Because of this thing we have called the internet. Kids and coaches get their information and video up on the net so the whole world can see it. Secondly, the explosion of AAU has led to teams and kids traveling all of the country playing in tournaments in front of coaches from schools they've never heard of. And lastly, the explosion of games on TV has given colleges exposure to areas previously untapped.
2 x
RhodyinCali
Abdul Fox

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago

Just my opinion....
"Recruiting is becoming more and more regional these days." - I realize that you're saying that this is just your opinion but you stating it as a fact. Do you have anything to back up this statement? In fact, recruiting is becoming less regional. Why??? Because of this thing we have called the internet. Kids and coaches get their information and video up on the net so the whole world can see it. Secondly, the explosion of AAU has led to teams and kids traveling all of the country playing in tournaments in front of coaches from schools they've never heard of. And lastly, the explosion of games on TV has given colleges exposure to areas previously untapped.

I don't have any data to back this and the regional aspect of recruiting isn't for all. You are correct, many programs have the budgets to recruit nationally and bring kids in along with their parents but if you think Rhody does, you'd be mistaken. Maybe in basketball but certainly not football. I think Covid also fast tracked kids staying close to home at least for the next 2 classes. If you look at the football roster, we have a few outside of a 5 hr drive (CA, AL, SC and 3 from FL) and basketball on the Mens side one from TN, the rest within 5-6 hours.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Just my opinion....

I don't have any data to back this and the regional aspect of recruiting isn't for all. You are correct, many programs have the budgets to recruit nationally and bring kids in along with their parents but if you think Rhody does, you'd be mistaken. Maybe in basketball but certainly not football. I think Covid also fast tracked kids staying close to home at least for the next 2 classes. If you look at the football roster, we have a few outside of a 5 hr drive (CA, AL, SC and 3 from FL) and basketball on the Mens side one from TN, the rest within 5-6 hours.
Did you just bring football into the discussion? Rhody does not play football in the A10.
2 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Regionality will always play some role in recruiting but I don’t think that’s a reason to suggest a change in conference.

I think the reality is that players who grow up in different areas dream of playing in certain conferences. The talented player from NC probably dreams of ACC basketball. The talented kid from Michigan probably dreams of Big Ten basketball. The talented kid from Louisiana probably dreams of SEC basketball.

It’s going to be hard for many teams to go in and pull that player out unless they are a real power.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

So you want to move just for the hell of it? What’s the point?
1 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

So you want to move just for the hell of it? What’s the point?
Agreed. And if you think I'm paying $800 for two seats in the America East..........
0 x
RhodyinCali
Abdul Fox

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago

Did you just bring football into the discussion? Rhody does not play football in the A10.
I did because I was thinking of the overall athletic program that would benefit from that change.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I did because I was thinking of the overall athletic program that would benefit from that change.
Yeah, worst idea ever. In fact, it's laughable.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

What? Why? Plenty of other URI teams have won championships, or competed for them, in their sports.

Listen, you can just admit this was a poorly thought idea of yours, and we'll all just move on. You don't have to keep digging in here.
0 x
RhodyinCali
Abdul Fox

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago

What? Why? Plenty of other URI teams have won championships, or competed for them, in their sports.

Listen, you can just admit this was a poorly thought idea of yours, and we'll all just move on. You don't have to keep digging in here.
Maybe it was a poorly thought idea, in fact it was just an idea. But within the past decade I believe only teams that have won conference titles have been Baseball, Rowing, Basketball and Mens Soccer. So 4 out of 16 teams, 25%.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Maybe it was a poorly thought idea, in fact it was just an idea. But within the past decade I believe only teams that have won conference titles have been Baseball, Rowing, Basketball and Mens Soccer. So 4 out of 16 teams, 25%.
And track.

Women's BBall finished 3rd last year.

The overall athletic program would hurt immensely from the change. Nevermind the sponsorship, TV, and NCAA dollars you would lose by dropping to a trash one bid league.

Why are you digging in here? The conference could definitely improve by shedding some dead weight, but your idea is the equivalent of being in a little bit of traffic and deciding you're going to get out of a moving car and see if the homeless man has a bike you can borrow.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

I made this awhile ago for something, can't remember what but it still applies.

6 x
RhodyinCali
Abdul Fox

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago

And track.

Women's BBall finished 3rd last year.

The overall athletic program would hurt immensely from the change. Nevermind the sponsorship, TV, and NCAA dollars you would lose by dropping to a trash one bid league.

Why are you digging in here? The conference could definitely improve by shedding some dead weight, but your idea is the equivalent of being in a little bit of traffic and deciding you're going to get out of a moving car and see if the homeless man has a bike you can borrow.
Forgot about track, well said about TV and NCAA dollars. Moving on.....
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Houston, Cincinnati and UCF will present 3 openings in the AAC.

Will be interesting to see which schools line up for those spots.

0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Houston, Cincinnati and UCF will present 3 openings in the AAC.

Will be interesting to see which schools line up for those spots.

Difficult because of football, the AAC might try to poach some teams from Conference USA or the Mountain West. It seems like geography isn't a major factor anymore.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Article and thoughts on possible A10 realignment;
https://www.a10talk.com/the-time-is-now ... onference/
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I like the idea. Memphis ain't happening though.

Murray State or Belmont please.

Hopefully something like this is being considered.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago I like the idea. Memphis ain't happening though.

Murray State or Belmont please.

Hopefully something like this is being considered.
Murray State, Belmont, Wichita State, and Loyola/Chicago would all be great additions.
I doubt Temple is coming back.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Need to do the subtracting before any additions.
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 2 years ago Need to do the subtracting before any additions.
The subtractions may come as a result of the A10 being poached. I wouldn't mind us being pro-active, before some desirable teams go elsewhere.
What basketball teams have been booted out of a conference for poor performance, is there a precedent? I can't recall off hand.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 2 years ago Need to do the subtracting before any additions.
The subtractions may come as a result of the A10 being poached. I wouldn't mind us being pro-active, before some desirable teams go elsewhere.
What basketball teams have been booted out of a conference for poor performance, is there a precedent? I can't recall off hand.
none
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
none
Exactly, I didn't think so.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

It's just kind of weird to me that Fordham *wants* to stay in the Atlantic 10 to get the crap kicked out of them most years. Like, if this was a Vanderbilt-in-a-power-conference situation, that would make sense to me. The TV money is so good in that, you take your medicine each year. The Atlantic 10... not so much. Their last NIT appearance was 1991, last NCAA appearance was 1992. In 26 years in the A-10, they've had three winning seasons in conference play. They've had zero 20-win seasons.
2 x