Where Are They Now? Former Player Results and News

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: Where Are They Now? Former Player Results and News

Unread post by reef »

Did they talk about when Anthony Edwards put Yuta on a poster ??
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Bones Hyland got drafted 1st Round #26 to Denver
David Duke did not get drafted

From ESPN on Hyland

With Nikola Jokic, Jamal Murray, Michael Porter and Aaron Gordon in the fold, the Nuggets are as well-positioned as any team in the NBA long-term. Murray's unfortunate ACL injury, which will likely cause him to miss most or all of next season, is the main obstacle they'll have to work through in the short term. Looming are the financial implications of sizeable long-term deals they'll be expected to offer Gordon and Porter to retain them. With that in mind, finding players who can contribute on a rookie-scale contract would be helpful, as splurging on veterans in free agency might be difficult luxury tax-wise in a year's time.

Nah'Shon "Bones" Hyland was considered a sleeper even before his sophomore year but didn't fully emerge as a first-round caliber prospect until a scintillating showing in the opening game of the NBA draft combine. Hyland showed off his impressive change of pace game, his length as a defensive playmaker and glimpses of passing ability that were few and far between throughout the season at VCU. Combine that with deep off the dribble shot-making prowess and it's easy to see why teams are high on the lanky combo guard as he plays exactly the type of bucket-getting role many NBA teams are actively seeking off the bench. He'll have plenty of opportunities to show he's ready to contribute in Denver's backcourt until Murray returns to full strength, which likely won't be a for a while. -- Jonathan Givony
0 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

SandorClegane wrote: 2 years ago
SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago As an FYI - Cuttino Mobley is playing on national TV right now, CBS, in the Big 3 tournament.
Mobley is a beast. Love the gray beard.
Stone cold killer.
The gray beard is fantastic, it totally adds insult to injury. As he roasts a 20-something player he's probably like "this grandpa is killing me!"
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Bones Hyland got drafted 1st Round #26 to Denver
David Duke did not get drafted

From ESPN on Hyland

With Nikola Jokic, Jamal Murray, Michael Porter and Aaron Gordon in the fold, the Nuggets are as well-positioned as any team in the NBA long-term. Murray's unfortunate ACL injury, which will likely cause him to miss most or all of next season, is the main obstacle they'll have to work through in the short term. Looming are the financial implications of sizeable long-term deals they'll be expected to offer Gordon and Porter to retain them. With that in mind, finding players who can contribute on a rookie-scale contract would be helpful, as splurging on veterans in free agency might be difficult luxury tax-wise in a year's time.

Nah'Shon "Bones" Hyland was considered a sleeper even before his sophomore year but didn't fully emerge as a first-round caliber prospect until a scintillating showing in the opening game of the NBA draft combine. Hyland showed off his impressive change of pace game, his length as a defensive playmaker and glimpses of passing ability that were few and far between throughout the season at VCU. Combine that with deep off the dribble shot-making prowess and it's easy to see why teams are high on the lanky combo guard as he plays exactly the type of bucket-getting role many NBA teams are actively seeking off the bench. He'll have plenty of opportunities to show he's ready to contribute in Denver's backcourt until Murray returns to full strength, which likely won't be a for a while. -- Jonathan Givony
Bones is a very good spot
0 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

I hear Jeff downtin is playing with Orlando summer league in Vegas and golden state in Salt Lake City
0 x
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

Downtin played like a champ tonight! :) Had 21 points in the OT Win, including the last 5 points to send the game to OT!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I just watched the YouTube highlights and JD looked great I hope he can find a roster spot somewhere this year
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

2 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

DanInAZ wrote: 2 years ago Downtin played like a champ tonight! :) Had 21 points in the OT Win, including the last 5 points to send the game to OT!
And to think he was only the second-best point guard on our team those last two years. /s
3 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Jeff is your next Rhody Ram in the league!

Thought his funky shot would keep him out, but he looks like a veteran out there in the summer league!
1 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 2 years ago
DanInAZ wrote: 2 years ago Downtin played like a champ tonight! :) Had 21 points in the OT Win, including the last 5 points to send the game to OT!
And to think he was only the second-best point guard on our team those last two years. /s
Wow! The best point guard on the team must have been awesome then! 😁
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Not a surprise if he gets a roster spot , lots to like about his game from an NBA perspective
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Golden State lost by 7 tonight to Miami on ESPNU

Dowtin played 23 minutes. 6-9 FG, 1-2 3FG, 5 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 TOs, 1 steal, 13 points

Dreaming watching Jeff play about how big a mistake it was to take him off the ball his last 2 years after he was among the National Leaders in Assist to Turnover Ratio his Freshman and Sophomore years - count me in the Blueman camp on that decision. He is running the Golden State team very nicely these 2 games this week
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Golden State lost by 7 tonight to Miami on ESPNU

Dowtin played 23 minutes. 6-9 FG, 1-2 3FG, 5 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 TOs, 1 steal, 13 points

Dreaming watching Jeff play about how big a mistake it was to take him off the ball his last 2 years after he was among the National Leaders in Assist to Turnover Ratio his Freshman and Sophomore years - count me in the Blueman camp on that decision. He is running the Golden State team very nicely these 2 games this week
Ramster that move to take him off the ball made zero sense
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 2 years ago

The defense posters made here was that Russell was too small for a SG and I also heard said Russell would leave if he wasn’t PG.

But we lost a lot with Jeff going to SG. I watched him last night leading the team, directing players where to go - reminded me so much of Jeff in his Freshman and Sophie years. He made such nice passes, such a heady, unselfish player - he makes everyone else on the floor a better player, he is a winner. Reminded me of the A10 Championship and the success in Sacramento and great team play in the big win over Creighton and the great game vs Oregon.

I wonder what Hurley would have done with Jeff had he stayed.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

0 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

Awesome news about Dowtin! Any chance JT or Hassan get another look at the NBA?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Dowtin playing now on NBATV for the Magic vs Warriors
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 2 years ago Dowtin playing now on NBATV for the Magic vs Warriors
Yep, I’m watching
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago

The defense posters made here was that Russell was too small for a SG and I also heard said Russell would leave if he wasn’t PG.

But we lost a lot with Jeff going to SG. I watched him last night leading the team, directing players where to go - reminded me so much of Jeff in his Freshman and Sophie years. He made such nice passes, such a heady, unselfish player - he makes everyone else on the floor a better player, he is a winner. Reminded me of the A10 Championship and the success in Sacramento and great team play in the big win over Creighton and the great game vs Oregon.

I wonder what Hurley would have done with Jeff had he stayed.
Hurley would have never moved Jeff Dowtin off of the ball. Period.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

I am a Hurley fan...but he hasn't done much at UConn in 3 years now. No tourney wins, and they only danced last year because the Big East was way down. And they missed a golden opportunity with win the BE tourney. Just the facts.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 2 years ago I am a Hurley fan...but he hasn't done much at UConn in 3 years now. No tourney wins, and they only danced last year because the Big East was way down. And they missed a golden opportunity with win the BE tourney. Just the facts.
Is offering your own bad take to counter other bad takes really the move?
7 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Just another indictment on Cox taking Jeff off the point. In fact, it might be why he lost the team and eventually his job.
2 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Who is to say that the "team" would have been better with Jeff at PG and Fatts at SG? Jeff was going to be better at whatever position he played. Cox had to decide the role assignment that would yield the best result for the team. Coaches have to make these calls as Harrick had to do with Tyson and Cat.

As for losing the team, this probably had more to do with Fatts wherever he played. Jeff was a leader who held the team together.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ace wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody_NYCT wrote: 2 years ago I am a Hurley fan...but he hasn't done much at UConn in 3 years now. No tourney wins, and they only danced last year because the Big East was way down. And they missed a golden opportunity with win the BE tourney. Just the facts.
lol...seriously spot on
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago
lol...seriously spot on
UCONN finished 2020-21 Season with NET = 33

This year preseason Rothstein Top 45 has UCONN Ranked 25th. Hurley is quickly and steadily moving the entire UCONN basketball program upward.

25. UConn
Projected Starting 5:
G R.J. Cole
G Tyrese Martin
F Andre Jackson
F Akok Akok
C Adama Sanogo

Projected Bench: Isaiah Whaley, Jalen Gaffney, Richie Springs, Rahsool Diggins, Jordan Hawkins, Samson Johnson, Tyler Polley

Newcomers: Rahsool Diggins, Jordan Hawkins, Samson Johnson

Losses: James Bouknight, Josh Carlton, Brendan Adams
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

He looked solid in last night's game, just as he did the previous 2 games. Love his leadership. His shooting, ball handling, defense and passing are impressing the NBA scouts.

Jeff next plays on Wednesday Night at 6pm on ESPN2
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

He looked solid in last night's game, just as he did the previous 2 games. Love his leadership. His shooting, ball handling, defense and passing are impressing the NBA scouts.

Sucks that Jefe is behind Cole Anthony who I think is overrated. Suggs is the real deal though . Jefe plays the Celts on Thursday
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago Who is to say that the "team" would have been better with Jeff at PG and Fatts at SG? Jeff was going to be better at whatever position he played. Cox had to decide the role assignment that would yield the best result for the team. Coaches have to make these calls as Harrick had to do with Tyson and Cat.

As for losing the team, this probably had more to do with Fatts wherever he played. Jeff was a leader who held the team together.
hahahahahha I don't usually like to respond to trolls but this one literally made me crack up. Ya who knows if Jeff would have been better at the point? We have no proof of why he would be.. I'm starting to see why you hate on Fatts so much. He murdered your team in the last two wins we have against you.

I'd hate Fatts if he did this to my team...
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Sucks that Jefe is behind Cole Anthony who I think is overrated. Suggs is the real deal though . Jefe plays the Celts on Thursday
Not sure whether Jeff is under contract with the Magic? I'm not sure how the D League/right of first refusal works as far as the NBA contracts go. I agree that with their roster, he has no future with Orlando. Could see his first team this summer (Warriors) pursuing him, both for depth with Klay Thompson coming back from injury, and the Warriors have a ridiculous luxury tax situation. I think they have to pay like $5 million in tax for every $1 million in contracts they sign. So Dowtin at the minimum will be a lot more appealing than some ordinary backup free agent who is asking for multiple millions just because of their veteran status.
0 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

lol...seriously spot on
The point is that some people seem to think Hurley can do no wrong. That is funny. That said, Hurley did a great job here. I wanted him to stay here...who didn't? Yes, he's clearly doing an excellent job RECRUITING at UConn and they are trending in the right direction. But like I said, only 1 tourney appearance and no wins. BE was way down last year. Lost to a reeling Creighton team in semis who then got embarrassed by a decent G-town team. Thank God Cox wasn't the coach, you'd be killing him for that lost opportunity.

Truth is, if Rhody's veteran team didn't make a miracle run at the end of 2017 to save the season, some of you guys would have been calling for Hurley's head. Thankfully they found a way and the rest is history.

Let's not forget. Uconn won 3 NCAA Championships in the last 25 years and were one of the top programs in the country. They are a long way off from that now. If you think UConn fans are going to be satisfied with making Rothsteins Top 45 or whatever, it's not happening.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 2 years ago

lol...seriously spot on
The point is that some people seem to think Hurley can do no wrong. That is funny. That said, Hurley did a great job here. I wanted him to stay here...who didn't? Yes, he's clearly doing an excellent job RECRUITING at UConn and they are trending in the right direction. But like I said, only 1 tourney appearance and no wins. BE was way down last year. Lost to a reeling Creighton team in semis who then got embarrassed by a decent G-town team. Thank God Cox wasn't the coach, you'd be killing him for that lost opportunity.

Truth is, if Rhody's veteran team didn't make a miracle run at the end of 2017 to save the season, some of you guys would have been calling for Hurley's head. Thankfully they found a way and the rest is history.

Let's not forget. Uconn won 3 NCAA Championships in the last 25 years and were one of the top programs in the country. They are a long way off from that now. If you think UConn fans are going to be satisfied with making Rothsteins Top 45 or whatever, it's not happening.
Doubling down on complete laughability today, I guess...
1 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

lol...seriously spot on

Yup. Tell me one thing I said that isn't true. Sorry, I like Hurley but I don't kiss his butt.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

NYCT, I'm not really sure what your point is, though. I don't think anyone really deifies Hurley - Ultimately, as a famous coach once said, you are what your record is. He won at the NJ HS level and at Wagner. He inherited a single digit win team at URI, and got to 23 wins in his third year, and made the NCAA Tournament in his fifth and sixth years. (He likely would have done it in his fourth year, if the team's star guard didn't suffer a bad injury in the season's opening game; that team still went 17-15.)

He got UConn back to the tournament in his third year, and depending on what site you like, they're in the preseason Top 25 in the 20 to 25 range, or in the next couple teams out. His recruiting classes have been generally well-ranked, suggesting that UConn will be competitive for the next couple of years.

If you want to crap on Hurley when he fails, feel free, but it's kind of hard to nitpick the resume of a guy who's had three coaching jobs, and he's been successful at all three. Maybe he'll struggle, a la Rick Barnes or Thad Matta, to actually win the big games that UConn fans want. But it hasn't happened yet.
3 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago

You are a fool if you believe Fatts is a better player than Jeff Dowtin. Jeff would accept any assignment that coach thought would help the team win. Fatts was all about Fatts; that's not to say he didn't have game.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago

You are a fool if you believe Fatts is a better player than Jeff Dowtin. Jeff would accept any assignment that coach thought would help the team win. Fatts was all about Fatts; that's not to say he didn't have game.
Agreed, Jeff was all about the team. That's EXACTLY what you want in your starting point guard.

When did I say Jeff was worse than Fatts? Why do you think I thought your post was so funny? Jeff is one of the best point guards in the history of our program. Would the team be better with him at point guard? YES!!! If you watched Jeff the last two seasons, it was painfully obvious he was not being used correctly. What makes Jeff so special is when he runs the point, he makes everyone around him better. He takes intelligent shots, puts players in great positions to score, and he's a leader. He would have made Fatts's life easier instead of watching him hold the ball until the end of the shot clock and throw up a contested 3.

Of course Jeff is better.. That's my point.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago NYCT, I'm not really sure what your point is, though. I don't think anyone really deifies Hurley - Ultimately, as a famous coach once said, you are what your record is. He won at the NJ HS level and at Wagner. He inherited a single digit win team at URI, and got to 23 wins in his third year, and made the NCAA Tournament in his fifth and sixth years. (He likely would have done it in his fourth year, if the team's star guard didn't suffer a bad injury in the season's opening game; that team still went 17-15.)

He got UConn back to the tournament in his third year, and depending on what site you like, they're in the preseason Top 25 in the 20 to 25 range, or in the next couple teams out. His recruiting classes have been generally well-ranked, suggesting that UConn will be competitive for the next couple of years.

If you want to crap on Hurley when he fails, feel free, but it's kind of hard to nitpick the resume of a guy who's had three coaching jobs, and he's been successful at all three. Maybe he'll struggle, a la Rick Barnes or Thad Matta, to actually win the big games that UConn fans want. But it hasn't happened yet.
I wasn't aware that Thad Matta supposedly struggled to win big games. "Matta led the Ohio State Buckeyes to five Big Ten Conference regular season championships, four Big Ten Tournament titles, two Final Four appearances, and the 2008 NIT Championship. He is the winningest coach in Ohio State history."

I'd have to imagine that there were a few "big" games in there that Ohio State fans were celebrating.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago
SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago NYCT, I'm not really sure what your point is, though. I don't think anyone really deifies Hurley - Ultimately, as a famous coach once said, you are what your record is. He won at the NJ HS level and at Wagner. He inherited a single digit win team at URI, and got to 23 wins in his third year, and made the NCAA Tournament in his fifth and sixth years. (He likely would have done it in his fourth year, if the team's star guard didn't suffer a bad injury in the season's opening game; that team still went 17-15.)

I wasn't aware that Thad Matta supposedly struggled to win big games. "Matta led the Ohio State Buckeyes to five Big Ten Conference regular season championships, four Big Ten Tournament titles, two Final Four appearances, and the 2008 NIT Championship. He is the winningest coach in Ohio State history."

I'd have to imagine that there were a few "big" games in there that Ohio State fans were celebrating.
No titles, though, and "only" two Final Four appearances despite plenty of NBA talent. Certainly caviar problems compared to us, but still. You can throw in another name there, if you'd prefer.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

My brother graduated from Ohio State so they are my favorite team besides Rhody. Thad did a fantastic job bringing in some talent and the final four runs were a blast. The one year that really sucked was in 2011. We were the number 1 overall seed and I thought had a great shot at winning it all. Ended up losing in the Sweet 16.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

I think I got here because I am tired of people crapping on Cox. I am all for a Rhody coaching change if this coming season is less than very good. But the constant knocking is tiresome. And I am not trying to downplay Hurley's accomplishments so far as a coach. What he did here was great. I think I was just being fair and saying that he's doing well at UConn but still has a long way to go. Personally, I would bet on him to succeed. I'm moving on now...

Go Rhody!
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

And Jeff was better than Fatts at the SG position as well. Jeff also needed to develop a better outside shot to make it at the next level. Like it or not, Fatts needed to have the ball most of the time to be effective. This wasn't going to happen with Jeff at PG. I didn't like moving Jeff to SG, but I understand why the decision was made. And Turgeon is planning on using Fatts at PG. I guess he is an awful coach as well.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago

No titles, though, and "only" two Final Four appearances despite plenty of NBA talent. Certainly caviar problems compared to us, but still. You can throw in another name there, if you'd prefer.
No titles? You mean no National Titles...same with Mark Few, Lon Kruger, John Belein, Lou Carnesecca, Gene Keady. I guess they didn't win big games either. My bad. You do realize that Tom Izzo has only won 1 national title despite all the Final Four appearances. Is that a good thing? Or a bad thing? Is he the same as the 1990's Atlanta Braves?

There are a lot of great coaches who have won a lot of big games yet not won a national title. It's really hard to do. There's no shame in that. I'll take Thad Matta as my coach any day and twice on Sunday.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago

No titles? You mean no National Titles...same with Mark Few, Lon Kruger, John Belein, Lou Carnesecca, Gene Keady. I guess they didn't win big games either. My bad. You do realize that Tom Izzo has only won 1 national title despite all the Final Four appearances. Is that a good thing? Or a bad thing? Is he the same as the 1990's Atlanta Braves?

There are a lot of great coaches who have won a lot of big games yet not won a national title. It's really hard to do. There's no shame in that. I'll take Thad Matta as my coach any day and twice on Sunday.
The point of my bringing him up was "guy with lots of talent, didn't win national title that fan base was clamoring for, fan base got upset and then he left." I personally don't really fault him that much - when you get to a certain talent level, advancing deep into the tournament is often a matter of getting lucky.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Yup. Tell me one thing I said that isn't true. Sorry, I like Hurley but I don't kiss his butt.
I'll just go with "he hasn't done much at UConn in 3 years now, " then compare the trajectory of the two programs and optimism of the fan bases over the last 3 years and leave it at that. I haven't checked, but where are the two programs, comparatively, expected to finish this year? Why do you think that is?
0 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

I'll just go with "he hasn't done much at UConn in 3 years now, " then compare the trajectory of the two programs and optimism of the fan bases over the last 3 years and leave it at that. I haven't checked, but where are the two programs, comparatively, expected to finish this year? Why do you think that is?
That is the ONLY thing you can "go with" because everything else is true. I should not have said "hasn't done much." That wasn't accurate. I was focusing more on wins and loses, and zero tourney wins in particular, including a loss against a Maryland team that wasn't very good. That's not exactly setting the world on fire. But if you think so, you are entitled to your opinion. And when did I say Cox was a better coach than Hurley? This is getting dumb. We can agree that Hurley is a good coach, and an excellent recruiter. Let's move on.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

And Jeff was better than Fatts at the SG position as well. Jeff also needed to develop a better outside shot to make it at the next level. Like it or not, Fatts needed to have the ball most of the time to be effective. This wasn't going to happen with Jeff at PG. I didn't like moving Jeff to SG, but I understand why the decision was made. And Turgeon is planning on using Fatts at PG. I guess he is an awful coach as well.
So what? Would we be a better team with Jeff as the primary point guard and Fatts at the 2?

You want the ball in the hands of the player that values EVERY possession...Jeff was so good at controlling the tempo of the game. If you think he wouldn't have helped Fatts take smarter shots and put him in better places to score the ball, you're wrong. If you think we were better with Fatts having the ball at the end of every possession while Jeff watched, you're wrong. Fatts would have still had the ball in his hands a lot, but when he's ice-cold and out of control, an intelligent point guard like Jeff can calm things down and find other ways to score.. When it comes to scoring, there is a big difference between a point guard who is a capable scorer taking quality shots compared to one that throws up contested 3s and wants to lead the team in the box score. It kills the team's chemistry when you have a player like that. The bottom line is Jeff made things easier on offense for everyone he played with. He would have done the same for Fatts

Turgeon should play Fatts at the point. Under the right coaching, Fatts could be a fantastic point guard. I always thought Fatts was his best when he was driving and dishing. Not when he was dropping 20+. Regardless he will never be a better point guard than Jeff Dowtin...
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago ...
Turgeon should play Fatts at the point. Under the right coaching, Fatts could be a fantastic point guard. I always thought Fatts was his best when he was driving and dishing. Not when he was dropping 20+. Regardless he will never be a better point guard than Jeff Dowtin...
You seem to understand why Cox moved Fatts to PG and Jeff to SG. So let's not beat up on Cox for the switch.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago ...
You seem to understand why Cox moved Fatts to PG and Jeff to SG. So let's not beat up on Cox for the switch.
Moving Jeff Dowtin out of the Point Guard Leadership Position for his Jr and Sr Seasons was the worst decision David Cox and his Staff have made in the 3 years they have been in charge, Jeff was among the National Leaders (Top 5) in Assist to Turnover Ratio in his Freshman and Sophomore Seasons but then he got pulled to play off the ball. Jeff should have remained in the PG Role all 4 years. Now Jeff is playing PG in NBA Summer League. Playing great defense, running the team, exuding confidence, shooting 2P. 3P and FTs with high accuracy and passing the ball great with few turnovers.
3 x