Chance Stephens on next Podcast any questions

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Chance Stephens on next Podcast any questions

Unread post by sbrand »

My main questions are how competitive his high school team is and can he play the point.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Re: Chance Stephens on next Podcast any questions

Unread post by adam914 »

I'd be curious to hear what areas of individual development the staff has told him to focus on to get ready for his move to college.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Would also be curious if he wants to be a Ram more or play for Coach Cox more.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

sbrand wrote: 2 years ago My main questions are how competitive his high school team is and can he play the point.
heh, I mean, I kind of assume he'll say "sure!" to the latter question. :) I might ask him - What drills do you focus on if you're playing at the point, vs. shooting guard? Is there a different mindset that you need to have? And, some other questions:

- Did he have any connection to Rhode Island at all, before he received interest from URI?
- How long has he spent in the state so far?
- Ideally, who does he think his comparison is when it comes to professional basketball? Like, the player he thinks his game is most similar to.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago Would also be curious if he wants to be a Ram more or play for Coach Cox more.
Another moronic comment. Most kids commit to the coach/coaches.
6 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

DC_Rams wrote: 2 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago Would also be curious if he wants to be a Ram more or play for Coach Cox more.
Yea, that question is putting the kid in a lose lose situation.
4 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
Blue Man, not a question that should ever be asked. Besides, DC is correct a recruits loyalty is with the staff.
When parents send their kids away, they put their trust in the coaches.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago

Blue Man, not a question that should ever be asked. Besides, DC is correct a recruits loyalty is with the staff.
So if Cox is gone during this season or at season end then this kid is not coming to URI?
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Yeesh. Sensitivity overload.

It’s a nicer way of asking “if there’s a coaching change would you stay.”

Like yes I’m half joking/half suggesting if there’s a more intelligent person with a journalistic mind who can frame a question better to get a similar answer.

Maybe just ask DC Rams if he’ll stay posting here or go get a graduate degree at the next school and then post there too.

It’s a college basketball message board in July. Breathe people.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago

So if Cox is gone during this season or at season end then this kid is not coming to URI?
Who knows, depends on the circumstances?
Regardless, why would you even ask this question to a recruit living in California that will only be starting his HS senior year?
Besides, on his previous interview with Adam he kept mentioning how comfortable he felt with our staff. Remember he committed before he even visited the campus or ever stepped foot in Rhode Island.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Regardless, why would you even ask this question to a recruit living in California that will only be starting his HS senior year?
Besides, on his previous interview with Adam he kept mentioning how comfortable he felt with our staff. Remember he committed before he even visited the campus or ever stepped foot in Rhode Island.
That’s actually a great point. Forgot he committed before coming here.

So basically if we don’t have a good year this year we won’t see him in Keaney Blue.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago Yeesh. Sensitivity overload.

Like yes I’m half joking/half suggesting if there’s a more intelligent person with a journalistic mind who can frame a question better to get a similar answer.

Maybe just ask DC Rams if he’ll stay posting here or go get a graduate degree at the next school and then post there too.

Eh, it's so loaded, I can't think of a way to ask it in a "proper" way. Maybe if you have a lot of rapport with the subject and you've been covering them for a couple years? Maybe if it's after their playing career? Sure, you might get them to open up. But otherwise, it's the kind of question that just immediately puts them on the defensive. It kind of reminds me of how people got upset during the Baron years because reporters weren't asking questions that were essentially, "How come you suck so much at coaching in the second half?"

I think the closest you could get to the kind of question you want is, "How important was the coaching staff, location and available playing time to your decision? Can you quantify it?" And even then, Stephens has probably been interviewed dozens of times already, unless there's no local paper or prep coverage scene out there. Even most high school kids are savvy enough to sidestep "controversial" questions or answers. "I care about the team and it doesn't matter who's coaching or my minutes. I just want to improve my game and contribute." Even if Player X is going to transfer the first time he's third string in a practice.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago

Eh, it's so loaded, I can't think of a way to ask it in a "proper" way. Maybe if you have a lot of rapport with the subject and you've been covering them for a couple years? Maybe if it's after their playing career? Sure, you might get them to open up. But otherwise, it's the kind of question that just immediately puts them on the defensive. It kind of reminds me of how people got upset during the Baron years because reporters weren't asking questions that were essentially, "How come you suck so much at coaching in the second half?"

I think the closest you could get to the kind of question you want is, "How important was the coaching staff, location and available playing time to your decision? Can you quantify it?" And even then, Stephens has probably been interviewed dozens of times already, unless there's no local paper or prep coverage scene out there. Even most high school kids are savvy enough to sidestep "controversial" questions or answers. "I care about the team and it doesn't matter who's coaching or my minutes. I just want to improve my game and contribute." Even if Player X is going to transfer the first time he's third string in a practice.
Totally fair. And probably correct.

Figured it's a message board in the middle of an offseason. Wouldn't expect the level of literal interpretation and pearl clutching - but then again, probably should've.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Thanks guys. Good questions once again.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago

Totally fair. And probably correct.

Figured it's a message board in the middle of an offseason. Wouldn't expect the level of

literal interpretation and pearl clutching - but then again, probably should've.
NO. DAYS. OFF.
2 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago

That’s actually a great point. Forgot he committed before coming here.

So basically if we don’t have a good year this year we won’t see him in Keaney Blue.
I watched the other podcast with Chance. He said that his father is friend with Coach Cox. That is why he is coming to RI.
0 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Hey guys.

Watch Chance "The Sniper" Stephens Interview. Lot's of Keaney Blue references and quotes.

Chance is a 2022 6-3, 182 pound combo guard from Riverside Poly High School in California. He has a chance to be one of the great 3 point shooters of all-time.

Watch and learn:
How Coach Cox recruited him?
What NBA Hall of Famer also attended Riverside Poly High School
How Sniper spent his visit last month in Kingston?
Who gave him the nickname Sniper?
Who is his favorite basketball player?
How many 3 pointers does he shoot per day?
How many treys he got in a row once?
What television show his dad is on?
Can he play the one?
Who he hit it off on his visit?
His prediction on how good the Rams can be this season
And his prediction that it will be raining 3's at the Ryan Center when he steps on the court.

Next up: Jarvis Garrett
3 x
rhodylocal
Jeff Kent

Unread post by rhodylocal »

Wow, this kid is seriously impressive. I'm betting we will be very happy to call him a Ram when he gets here! Nice work Coach Cox.
1 x
Dan Hurley 2012-2018:
Year 1: 8-21 3-13 T–14th
Year 2:14-18 5-11 10th
Year 3:23-10 13-5 T-2nd NIT 2nd RD
Year 4:17-15 9-9 7th
Year 5:25-10 13-5 T-3rd NCAA T
Year 6:26-8 15-3 1st NCAA T

Archie Miller 2022-?:
Year 1:9-22 5-13 14th
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Recruited at 14?! Damn, that's ridiculous. He's smart, likable and committed. Can't wait to see him next year.
0 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

Thanks Scott good interview! Par for the course that he said other schools, including ASU, are still trying to lure him.
0 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Thank you guys. This kid is special on and off the court. And his work ethic is off the charts. It could be scary with a team featuring Ish and Chance in the backcourt and the Mitchell twins manning the front line.
1 x