Roster Changes

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Re: Roster Changes

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
Bo Bo wrote: 2 years ago JH a very good person who needs direction. He needed to finish some classes this summer which is why he just entered the portal. PT would have been very limited for him.
BoBo your thread refers to Roster Changes and you alluded to addition by subtraction.

Does this mean that the staff has a player in mind as a replacement for JH or any other roster spot?

No need to reference any names, just a general question.
I would consider replacing Jermaines minutes with Abdou Samb's addition by subtraction.

If Jermaine continues to have the same struggles it's better to have someone getting the minutes who will actually get better.

Jermaine has gotten better, but the guy is so in his head and he had so many nagging injuries he just could never put it all together.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago
Bo Bo wrote: 2 years ago JH a very good person who needs direction. He needed to finish some classes this summer which is why he just entered the portal. PT would have been very limited for him.
BoBo your thread refers to Roster Changes and you alluded to addition by subtraction.

Does this mean that the staff has a player in mind as a replacement for JH or any other roster spot?

I would consider replacing Jermaines minutes with Abdou Samb's addition by subtraction.
Yes, so far that is probably the plan.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

sf2010 wrote: 2 years ago I never understood the intense hate Jermaine received here. Well, I "understood" it - people were very disappointed he didn't live up to his recruiting hype. That said, it really went overboard IMO.

Good luck Jermaine - I was pumped when he came here, unfortunate that injuries happened and he stagnated in his development.
I think, if we are being honest, 90% of the people who wanted Cox hired were just worried about that class, in particular, not cutting bait. Along with roster continuity, in general. That has blown up in spectacular fashion. The 2020, 21, 22 classes are not great and he is trying to live off the transfer portal. Maybe that works in the new era of college basketball but I still think the best path for URI will remain evaluating and developing four year guys. And then adding the transfers as the finishing pieces of a very good team. That is before we even get into his ability to game plan and coach an actual basketball game. Disaster.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Gonebarongone wrote: 2 years ago
sf2010 wrote: 2 years ago I never understood the intense hate Jermaine received here. Well, I "understood" it - people were very disappointed he didn't live up to his recruiting hype. That said, it really went overboard IMO.

Good luck Jermaine - I was pumped when he came here, unfortunate that injuries happened and he stagnated in his development.
I think, if we are being honest, 90% of the people who wanted Cox hired were just worried about that class, in particular, not cutting bait. Along with roster continuity, in general. That has blown up in spectacular fashion. The 2020, 21, 22 classes are not great and he is trying to live off the transfer portal. Maybe that works in the new era of college basketball but I still think the best path for URI will remain evaluating and developing four year guys. And then adding the transfers as the finishing pieces of a very good team. That is before we even get into his ability to game plan and coach an actual basketball game. Disaster.
That class in general, and Jermaine Harris specifically
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

If Jermaine continues to have the same struggles it's better to have someone getting the minutes who will actually get better.

Jermaine has gotten better, but the guy is so in his head and he had so many nagging injuries he just could never put it all together.

Harris did not get better, last season was the worst he had here.
0 x
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

Harris did not get better, last season was the worst he had here.
I mean he was relatively the same every single year with random flashes.

I think offensively he had better moves in the paint.

Started taking less threes.

But then his free throw percentage went down by about 35%...
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I still feel we need to add at least one additional player, preferably a grad transfer who won't eat up a scholarship for next season.

Looking at our current roster we have 11 players available for the start of the season.

Of those, 3 are untested freshman and you add Makhi returning from knee surgery who has played very little in his first 2 years (only 19 games total).

If the injury bug hits, academic casualties, early departures, or any other issues, we will suddenly find ourselves very thin.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

It was less about the class, and more about the continuation of the culture, style of play, and everything else that Hurley brought to this program.

At the time, you would've assumed an assistant coach with 2 decades of experience in power programs under coaches with a great pedigree, a solid recruiting history, and 4 full seasons under Hurley to see how you build/sustain a program - would be the right guy for the job. Cox deserved the shot. So much so that it was written into his contract that we would've had to pay him $500k if we didn't hire him as head coach. He was the defacto coach-in-waiting.

It was right to give him a shot for all reasons above. The program was the highest it had been in decades and we had the highest rated recruiting class coming in school history. Heavily influenced by Cox. You certainly weren't at a point in the program where you start over, you were at the point where you want to become Xavier/VCU/Dayton and continually swap coaches who helped sustain a strong program.

Everything lined up perfectly. You can't predict the future, you just go with the information you had at the time. Obviously Pitino would've worked out too, but hindsight is 20/20.

Cox has had every opportunity, every chance and squandered them so far. He is yet to identify or correct mistakes in his preparation, game planning, scouting, philosophy, player development, retention, in-game coaching, and hiring of his staff. If we are not a winner this year, than Cox should not be the coach next year. That's pretty fair. Likewise, if we have a great season and go dancing - than great, Cox figured it out just in time and was the right guy all along.

Now, to be fair - that 2018 class was equal part hit/miss with talent -but we'll never know how much of that was on a lack of proper development (Harris), lack of proper discipline (Tate), or a lack of good coaching to the extent that you lost the best player in that class to a better coach (Martin).

One issue that has been a constant theme around the roster in the last 3 seasons is an inability to identify players out of high school that can play at the A-10 level, which started when Cox grabbed Silverio to replace Brendan Adams.

2019's class of Mading and Hammond (and the greek lol) missed the mark in the talent department. Long looked like he could be a serviceable bench/glue piece had he been able to stay engaged. Toppin again was the same issue as Martin in not believing this coach could get him or his team where he wanted to go.

Our roster has been a complete mess with zero continuity since 2018. We were losing players before the transfer rule. For a fan base who claimed "gelling" was a problem last year, how many more roster overhauls do we need to see before we can make a judgement?
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago

It was less about the class, and more about the continuation of the culture, style of play, and everything else that Hurley brought to this program.

At the time, you would've assumed an assistant coach with 2 decades of experience in power programs under coaches with a great pedigree, a solid recruiting history, and 4 full seasons under Hurley to see how you build/sustain a program - would be the right guy for the job. Cox deserved the shot. So much so that it was written into his contract that we would've had to pay him $500k if we didn't hire him as head coach. He was the defacto coach-in-waiting.

It was right to give him a shot for all reasons above. The program was the highest it had been in decades and we had the highest rated recruiting class coming in school history. Heavily influenced by Cox. You certainly weren't at a point in the program where you start over, you were at the point where you want to become Xavier/VCU/Dayton and continually swap coaches who helped sustain a strong program.

Everything lined up perfectly. You can't predict the future, you just go with the information you had at the time. Obviously Pitino would've worked out too, but hindsight is 20/20.

Cox has had every opportunity, every chance and squandered them so far. He is yet to identify or correct mistakes in his preparation, game planning, scouting, philosophy, player development, retention, in-game coaching, and hiring of his staff. If we are not a winner this year, than Cox should not be the coach next year. That's pretty fair. Likewise, if we have a great season and go dancing - than great, Cox figured it out just in time and was the right guy all along.

Now, to be fair - that 2018 class was equal part hit/miss with talent -but we'll never know how much of that was on a lack of proper development (Harris), lack of proper discipline (Tate), or a lack of good coaching to the extent that you lost the best player in that class to a better coach (Martin).

One issue that has been a constant theme around the roster in the last 3 seasons is an inability to identify players out of high school that can play at the A-10 level, which started when Cox grabbed Silverio to replace Brendan Adams.

2019's class of Mading and Hammond (and the greek lol) missed the mark in the talent department. Long looked like he could be a serviceable bench/glue piece had he been able to stay engaged. Toppin again was the same issue as Martin in not believing this coach could get him or his team where he wanted to go.

Our roster has been a complete mess with zero continuity since 2018. We were losing players before the transfer rule. For a fan base who claimed "gelling" was a problem last year, how many more roster overhauls do we need to see before we can make a judgement?
Sorry, our current roster isn't a complete mess.

The Twins, Walker, Ish, Shep. Martin , which is the core group is far from a complete mess.

Bringing in El-Amin doesn't seem like a bad addition with the loss of Fatts.

Jeff, Cyril, and Fatts all stayed to receive their degree here.

In this recent climate having continuity is difficult being a Mid-Major, especially with a staff change involving a first time HC.
This doesn't even take into account all the difficult circumstances during this pandemic.

Many posters on this board just need to take a chill pill for now and see how things play out.
5 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I think we have sufficient talent to be pretty good this coming season.

Probably not NCAA tourney good, but much better than last season.

All depends on the coaching. So far for the last 3 years, the coaching certainly has not been NCAA tourney worthy.

Ay, that's the rub.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago I think we have sufficient talent to be pretty good this coming season.

All depends on the coaching. So far for the last 3 years, the coaching certainly has not been NCAA tourney worthy.

Ay, that's the rub.
Such a profound, and new take from you. I can tell you put a ton of thought and originality into each and every post. Thanks for sharing!
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago

Blah, blah, blah, blah….and the end of the day, just frickin’ win.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

DC_Rams wrote: 2 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago I think we have sufficient talent to be pretty good this coming season.

Ay, that's the rub.
Such a profound, and new take from you. I can tell you put a ton of thought and originality into each and every post. Thanks for sharing!
And such a profound, new take from you....blasting anyone who dares to criticize your guy.
2 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Hey, I thought we were going positive on the team! Sounds to me that the same losers are determined to hold the URI basketball program back to their level. They are the biggest obstacle URI basketball needs to overcome. Coaches, players and facilities are all improving. GO RHODY!!!
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago Hey, I thought we were going positive on the team! Sounds to me that the same losers are determined to hold the URI basketball program back to their level. They are the biggest obstacle URI basketball needs to overcome. Coaches, players and facilities are all improving. GO RHODY!!!
Love the enthusiasm 72, and the positivity.
Where do you see URI finishing this season given the improvement in Coaches, Players and Facilities? 10th place last season, what place this year do you see Rhody in the A10?
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I think the path to success will be thru improved guard/small forward play. Shep, Ish, Martin, Carey: will they step out from Fatt's shadow and blossom into leading players? How big will the contribution be from the new Ish and Berry? The frontcourt looks pretty solid; especially if Samb contributes. I am cautiously (very cautiously) optimistic.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago Hey, I thought we were going positive on the team! Sounds to me that the same losers are determined to hold the URI basketball program back to their level. They are the biggest obstacle URI basketball needs to overcome. Coaches, players and facilities are all improving. GO RHODY!!!
…please tell us how the coaches and players have gotten better these last 3 years?
1 x
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Billyboy and 15, DC and 72 are just pissing in the wind and telling us it's raining.

Coaches and players are getting better?

We won't be playing games until November.

Until then no way to know. Results count.

None of their shit bothers me in the least. This board is open to all opinions, including mine.

I will be quick to praise the team and staff if they turn it around.

I will also be quick to dump on them if things don't improve. That you can count on.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Seriously why do people keep responding to the troll.

It should be obvious by now.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago ...
Where do you see URI finishing this season given the improvement in Coaches, Players and Facilities? 10th place last season, what place this year do you see Rhody in the A10?
Top 4 in the A10 - could even win it all. Depends on injuries and how well Makhi recovers. With all players getting an extra year of eligibility, I expect the quality of college basketball to be very good the next few years.

Have you ever been on a team where some member(s) bad mouth teammates behind their back(s)? It is so destructive to team morale and performance. Well, true fans are members of the team. Their attitude and support effect the the morale and performance of the team, and the continuing success of the program through recruiting and financial support. Let's get behind the players and coaches and push them to great heights.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago ...
Top 4 in the A10 - could even win it all. Depends on injuries and how well Makhi recovers. With all players getting an extra year of eligibility, I expect the quality of college basketball to be very good the next few years.

Have you ever been on a team where some member(s) bad mouth teammates behind their back(s)? It is so destructive to team morale and performance. Well, true fans are members of the team. Their attitude and support effect the the morale and performance of the team, and the continuing success of the program through recruiting and financial support. Let's get behind the players and coaches and push them to great heights.
Go back and read your comments for the past 10 years or so. They're worse than anyone. You're a fraud.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Stopppppp respondinggggg tooooo the trollllllll
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago Stopppppp respondinggggg tooooo the trollllllll
Just exposing him for what he truly is.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

IMO, the coaching will be better because Cox will no longer have to defer to a 30% shooter.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 2 years ago IMO, the coaching will be better because Cox will no longer have to defer to a 30% shooter.
I have said it before and I will say it again, everyone here would think Cox was a great coach and we would have won so many more games if Fatts shot 35% from 3. It’s the difference in so many games. The 23% is even misleading because he was so streaky that he could hit couple in a row.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago
Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 2 years ago IMO, the coaching will be better because Cox will no longer have to defer to a 30% shooter.
I have said it before, and I will say it again, everyone here would think Cox was a great coach and we would have won so many more games if Fatts shot 35% from 3. It’s the difference in so many games. The 23% is even misleading because he was so streaky that he could hit couple in a row.
Fatts shot 35% from 3 in his junior year, and I didn't think Cox was a great head coach. I thought he had potential in year 2 but obviously, after last season I don't have much faith. A lot more goes into a strong head coach than one player shooting %. Last year's mistakes with rotations, timeouts, and scouting would still make me question if Cox were the right guy for the job even if Fatts shot 40%. However, I agree that without Fatts, our team can build an identity and have a more efficient offense. I"m really hoping Bozeman can help with that.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

That was a very deceptive 35%, most of the makes were in a 2-3 week stretch when not surprisingly the team looked really good. Anyways, my take was a little strong on Cox. I just think if the guy taking most shots, shot better then we wouldn’t be as ready to throw the coach out. He definitely has some growing to do as a coach.
0 x
Dowtinsavestheworld
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Dowtinsavestheworld »

I didn’t love Hurley’s in game coaching but then I watched David Cox. As much as this board love’s Hurley, he wasn’t winning until Dowtin came along. A good point guard can solve a lot of problems. We will see if Leggett or Sheppard can be that this year.
The fact that Fatts and Harris are both gone has to be a blessing for most fans. We will miss Fatts scoring but not his defense or shot selection.
Harris just disappointed and got minutes he shouldn’t have late in games. I’m really hoping we use a scholarship to get another shooter or a small forward. I wouldn’t mind another big but we need players who can flat our score. I’m so excited if the Mitchell’s stay healthy and love that Shep came back for his pure shooting.
Here’s hoping cox can get our if their way and actually execute some efficient pass first basketball. Go Rhody!
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago Stopppppp respondinggggg tooooo the trollllllll
Just exposing him for what he truly is.
plus...the 'true fans are part of the team' thing was actually kinda hilarious...
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago

plus...the 'true fans are part of the team' thing was actually kinda hilarious...
I guess you think that fan support does not contribute to the success of the team. I disagree. I've bled Rhody blue for over 50 years.

Mark Turgeon is a no non-sense coach who is looking to Fatts to fill Cowans role as a PG. If Fatts acts as he did at URI, he will not last the season. I hope that Fatts plays the way he did in a losing effort to GW late in the season, as a facilitator. I'm with Red and RhodyLaw, and I believe that this Cox's year to shine as a coach.
Last edited by Rhody72 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago Art Turgeon is a no non-sense coach ...
Back from the dead!
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 2 years ago
Back from the dead!
His top assistant coach is Bill Parillo.
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago
Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 2 years ago
Back from the dead!
His top assistant coach is Bill Parillo.
Is Gene Buonicorse the GM?
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I heard Chris Clark is doing our games this year.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

As our roster is currently constructed should we be considered a top 5 A10 team?
Most of the early predictions has us in the mid level conference rankings.
We still have 2 open scholarships available and there are probably still some impact players left in the portal.
I feel you cannot have too much talent and tough competition will just make our team better.
Besides as the season goes on, many times the roster thins out ( injuries, suspensions, transfers, foul problems, etc.)

Just my opinion, but I hope our staff is still actively pursuing players that can contribute for 21-22.

If we do stay pat, I am still more optimistic about our chances than many of the so-called experts. IMO
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

He never had to before. That he did was a dereliction of duty
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I have said it before and I will say it again, everyone here would think Cox was a great coach and we would have won so many more games if Fatts shot 35% from 3. It’s the difference in so many games. The 23% is even misleading because he was so streaky that he could hit couple in a row.
Perhaps if Cox had actually coached Fatts instead of letting him do whatever he wanted Fatts might have improved to have been a 35% from 3 shooter
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago As our roster is currently constructed should we be considered a top 5 A10 team?
Most of the early predictions has us in the mid level conference rankings.
We still have 2 open scholarships available and there are probably still some impact players left in the portal.
I feel you cannot have too much talent and tough competition will just make our team better.
Besides as the season goes on, many times the roster thins out ( injuries, suspensions, transfers, foul problems, etc.)

Just my opinion, but I hope our staff is still actively pursuing players that can contribute for 21-22.

If we do stay pat, I am still more optimistic about our chances than many of the so-called experts. IMO
The predictions I've seen that have us at 7th seem accurate. I'd say we're somewhere between 6-8, but could see us drop lower than 8th if we can't figure out year one post Fatts
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
Perhaps if Cox had actually coached Fatts instead of letting him do whatever he wanted Fatts might have improved to have been a 35% from 3 shooter
I don’t know - he put the kid in a great position to score and win. He was definitely more reigned each year by the coaching staff and I don’t really think he took a lot of bad shots last year. He was the best player on the team still, was very good with the ball and distributed nicely to other players despite the poor shooting. The difference between a really good player and an all-conference player who could have carried the team to the top of the A10 was just his shooting percentage. That’s it. He did everything else right on the floor.
1 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

I agree! Not to speak of his having the ball with 5 seconds left on the clock and forced to throw one up-

Additionally, if he had not been injured, his shooting percentage would most likely have been similar to his junior year.

We will miss Fatts!
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

McRam wrote: 2 years ago I agree! Not to speak of his having the ball with 5 seconds left on the clock and forced to throw one up-

Additionally, if he had not been injured, his shooting percentage would most likely have been similar to his junior year.

We will miss Fatts!
I think it needed to be better then his Junior year for the team to truly succeed last year, but the point on injuries is spot on. That is a coaching decision that I look back on as a mistake, he should have been sat down for several games last year to try and get healthy. Yes, there were other coaching mistakes as well but those would have been masked if the best player was playing at his best. I stand by the original point that we would not want Cox gone if Fatts was a better shooter last year. The team record would have been much better.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Injuries aside, Fatts shooting percentages would have almost definitely been better if he had some fellow veterans around him who could have taken the scoring burden off him a bit. Guys like Martin and Toppin.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago Injuries aside, Fatts shooting percentages would have almost definitely been better if he had some fellow veterans around him who could have taken the scoring burden off him a bit. Guys like Martin and Toppin.
Lmao. Yes Tyrese Martin would have been great, but let’s not act like Toppin was an absolute weapon that fatts missed oh so sorely. Some more fun facts for the kids at home who say things that are blatantly false:

Leading 2p% teammate of fatts in his career:
- Antwan walker in 20-21

Leading 3p% shooting teammates of fatts in his career
- #1 Jarred Terrell in 17-18
- #2 Jeremy Sheppard in 20-21

Plenty of shit went wrong last season INCLUDING Fatts playing injured the majority of the year. But spare me the bull shit that Batman aka jacob Toppin would have saved the day
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

McRam wrote: 2 years ago ...

We will miss Fatts!
We will miss the Fatts that could have been, but not the Fatts that played last year. We will easily replace the production we got from Fatts last year. URI will be a much better team next year. How anyone can call themselves a fan a project URI to be a .500 team defies all logic. GO RHODY!
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago Injuries aside, Fatts shooting percentages would have almost definitely been better if he had some fellow veterans around him who could have taken the scoring burden off him a bit. Guys like Martin and Toppin.
Lmao. Yes Tyrese Martin would have been great, but let’s not act like Toppin was an absolute weapon that fatts missed oh so sorely. Some more fun facts for the kids at home who say things that are blatantly false:

- Antwan walker in 20-21

Plenty of shit went wrong last season INCLUDING Fatts playing injured the majority of the year. But spare me the bull shit that Batman aka jacob Toppin would have saved the day
Who the hell said Toppin would have saved the day? Did you even watch him last year? His handle, shot, defending, and IQ all looked better while playing in one of the best conferences in the country. It would have been great to have a guy like Toppin who can rebound and finishes really well around the hoop. Never mind that he would have been one of our best defenders and shot blockers. If you don't think having continuity and culture helps teams win, you're wrong. We had zero identity last year, and adding BOTH Toppin and Tyrese would have been huge.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago

- Antwan walker in 20-21

Who the hell said Toppin would have saved the day? Did you even watch him last year? His handle, shot, defending, and IQ all looked better while playing in one of the best conferences in the country. It would have been great to have a guy like Toppin who can rebound and finishes really well around the hoop. Never mind that he would have been one of our best defenders and shot blockers. If you don't think having continuity and culture helps teams win, you're wrong. We had zero identity last year, and adding BOTH Toppin and Tyrese would have been huge.
You just quoted me, quoting someone else who literally said fatts was missing Toppin to take the scoring burden off of him. None of this conversation was related to anything but scoring. I provided you evidence that fatts played with two of his most efficient scoring teammates ever last year. Yes - adding more good players is always a positive. I’m merely saying he had weapons. He was hurt. Team had no chemistry. Bench was beyond inconsistent. All bad things. None related to the point of my post
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

- Antwan walker in 20-21

I don’t know what any of this has to do with what I said, which wasn’t that Toppin and Martin would have been all-league players. They just needed other guys on the floor who were willing and able to get shots up. On the whole, I’m not even sure how much of a difference having those guys would have made in terms of the team’s record, but they would have allowed Fatts to offload some of the offensive burden and diverted some defensive attention, both of which would have helped with the shooting percentage.

As far as Shepard and Walkers shooting percentages go, I think that actually supports my point in a roundabout kind of way. Neither of those guys were asked to carry much of a load and were able to limit their attempts to stuff they felt good about. Fatts biggest problem was there was nobody to share the load with. If those guys had been asked to do more, their shot selection would have been less quality and their percentages would have gone down.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago

- Antwan walker in 20-21

The Kentucky coaching staff also helped and is helping him develop. Who knows how much he would have developed here. That's one of the reasons he left.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago

As far as Shepard and Walkers shooting percentages go, I think that actually supports my point in a roundabout kind of way. Neither of those guys were asked to carry much of a load and were able to limit their attempts to stuff they felt good about. Fatts biggest problem was there was nobody to share the load with. If those guys had been asked to do more, their shot selection would have been less quality and their percentages would have gone down.
I think that exercise works in an academic way. If Player A gets 300 shot opportunities in a year and takes 200 of them they are most likely to be, on balance, about the 200 best of the 300. So, adding additional shots, means you are choosing from the bottom 100. I just don't think this works in a practical manner (or maybe it does with Cox but that is another thread). It should have been more about taking Fatts' worst tendencies (shots, mostly) and then giving them to the rest of the group. But, importantly, doing it in a way that lets the other players shine. The perfect example of this is 2019-20. Dowtin took 11 shots per game. Less than the year before. Do we really believe 3 shots more for JD would have been bad for the team (assuming a competent offensive coach)?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Bo Bo wrote: 2 years ago Addition by subtraction.
Is this still going to happen?

Most of us expected the subtraction.
0 x