2021-22 Schedule (top post is current)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Re: 2021-22 Schedule (top post is current)

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago
ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago Since we are yet again devolving down this road...let me be 100% clear:

NO ONE is rooting against a coach or player that wears the Keaney Blue. No one wants to be “right” about their critiques of the team, a player, or a coach.

Every single person who has ever bitched on this board for or groaned in the Ryan center wants this team to win. No one would rather be right about this team sucking than be wrong and have the team win.

No one hates Dave Cox, no one wants to see Dave Cox fail, no one wants to see Dave Cox fired - because all of those things mean the team is losing. Everyone who bitches here bitches because they care. Anyone saying anything negative would LOVE to be proven wrong.

This sounds like me from a couple years ago

I think I also threw in a “CUT BAIT” or 2 or 3...
Wait...what...? You? No, I doubt it.

Ha - it’s true .. wish y’all listened we wouldn’t be in this mess LOL
1 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

Not to defend Cox, as I think he truly needs to step it up, but it's hard to say a coach needs to be fired when he's only had 1 normal season as a coach. Hurley's 2016-2017 was very similar to Cox's 2019-2020 team, Hurley needed to get to the championship to make the tourney. Cox was not afforded that opportunity. Not acknowledging that fact and/or how that impacted confidence the following year is not fair when comparing Cox to Hurley or any other coach for that matter. Also for what it's worth I was told all URI coaches (outside of softball) were given an extra year on their contracts due to covid (haven't tried too hard to confirm). Tammi was publicized because she was given a raise in addition to the extension. Okay back to watching the board...
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

If true, Cox has been extended one year, I hope so.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Dre3000 wrote: 2 years ago Not to defend Cox, as I think he truly needs to step it up, but it's hard to say a coach needs to be fired when he's only had 1 normal season as a coach. Hurley's 2016-2017 was very similar to Cox's 2019-2020 team, Hurley needed to get to the championship to make the tourney. Cox was not afforded that opportunity. Not acknowledging that fact and/or how that impacted confidence the following year is not fair when comparing Cox to Hurley or any other coach for that matter. Also for what it's worth I was told all URI coaches (outside of softball) were given an extra year on their contracts due to covid (haven't tried too hard to confirm). Tammi was publicized because she was given a raise in addition to the extension. Okay back to watching the board...
I hadn't heard, but wouldn't be surprised.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
Dre3000 wrote: 2 years ago Not to defend Cox, as I think he truly needs to step it up, but it's hard to say a coach needs to be fired when he's only had 1 normal season as a coach. Hurley's 2016-2017 was very similar to Cox's 2019-2020 team, Hurley needed to get to the championship to make the tourney. Cox was not afforded that opportunity. Not acknowledging that fact and/or how that impacted confidence the following year is not fair when comparing Cox to Hurley or any other coach for that matter. Also for what it's worth I was told all URI coaches (outside of softball) were given an extra year on their contracts due to covid (haven't tried too hard to confirm). Tammi was publicized because she was given a raise in addition to the extension. Okay back to watching the board...
I would be surprised. Why not announce Cox had been extended an extra year due to Covid when they announced Reiss' extension? Why wasn't the softball coach given the same year as everyone else when that program was impacted way more by Covid than men's basketball? Not saying it hasn't happened, but it's not consistent with other announcements.

I will say this is a particularly weak point for athletics communications and the journalists covering the teams. We still haven't been informed about coach Fleming's contract extension when his original contract ended in 2018. Finding out any information about contracts outside of football and basketball is damn near impossible. If Cox and everyone else had been extended would the fanbase ever be informed?
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Whether or not Cox was extended a year, I think this year is make or break.

Doesn't affect that imo.
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Utah! Now we're talkin.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Legit.#DontLosetoBC
0 x
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

When this Sunshine Slam MTE was first played in 2019 there were 4 teams and each team played 3 games (played all 3 other teams). Delaware won it going 3-0.
Of course Sunshine Slam DNP in 2020.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com ... -slam-2021

Rhode Island was scheduled to play Boston College at Conte Forum this year, after the pandemic pushed off their 2020 matchup. The two teams played in the 2K Empire Classic at Mohegan Sun, a game the Eagles won 69-64. As of this writing is uncertain if this game will replace the other BC/URI that was tentatively scheduled for this season. (Update: According to Josh Newman of the Salt Lake Tribune, BC/URI will not face off in the opening round, because they are still scheduled to play a week earlier)
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
I would be surprised. Why not announce Cox had been extended an extra year due to Covid when they announced Reiss' extension? Why wasn't the softball coach given the same year as everyone else when that program was impacted way more by Covid than men's basketball? Not saying it hasn't happened, but it's not consistent with other announcements.

I will say this is a particularly weak point for athletics communications and the journalists covering the teams. We still haven't been informed about coach Fleming's contract extension when his original contract ended in 2018. Finding out any information about contracts outside of football and basketball is damn near impossible. If Cox and everyone else had been extended would the fanbase ever be informed?
I can't find that anywhere - not to say that you're wrong, but that seems incredibly unlikely. Double-secret extensions don't really happen with high profile state jobs, especially with the basketball team. If it did happen, I really don't think that factors into a decision about what happens to our coach if URI has a losing season.

I really don't understand this "normal season" argument like URI was the only team to have their world turned upside down with Covid. Basketball was still played. Fans have eyes. AD's have eyes. Seasons went on. URI was clearly out of the field in 2020 and the idea that they were going to beat Dayton after having been thoroughly embarrassed by them twice to the tune of multiple touchdowns, is laughable.

Not like this was a VCU situation where we made the tourney and had to forfeit. We had plenty of games. We lost most of them. We had opportunities against big names and high rankings, we lost all of them.

Schedule-wise (on topic), we wound up better off. We played tougher teams. Had a very challenging schedule. We just sucked.

I just can't follow with all these excuses. Yes, isolated, you can make an argument for a lot of things - transfers, injuries, etc....but at what point are we allowed to blame the top guy?

The coaching decisions were mind numbingly consistent, hilarious, predictable, and disappointing. Time outs. Lack of an offensive game plan. Inability to scout other teams. Inability to make adjustments. Fatts doing whatever he want. Playing time for people who shouldn't have had it.

I want Dave to turn it around. I would love him to be our coach for a long time because he's such a damn good guy. But at this point, and for what he's shown without a single sign of improvement, he's not the guy. If he makes a 180 this year? Hell yeah, that's what we're hoping for. But what we want to see and what I'm expecting to see are two very different things I'm afraid.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago

I can't find that anywhere - not to say that you're wrong, but that seems incredibly unlikely. Double-secret extensions don't really happen with high profile state jobs, especially with the basketball team. If it did happen, I really don't think that factors into a decision about what happens to our coach if URI has a losing season.

I really don't understand this "normal season" argument like URI was the only team to have their world turned upside down with Covid. Basketball was still played. Fans have eyes. AD's have eyes. Seasons went on. URI was clearly out of the field in 2020 and the idea that they were going to beat Dayton after having been thoroughly embarrassed by them twice to the tune of multiple touchdowns, is laughable.

Not like this was a VCU situation where we made the tourney and had to forfeit. We had plenty of games. We lost most of them. We had opportunities against big names and high rankings, we lost all of them.

Schedule-wise (on topic), we wound up better off. We played tougher teams. Had a very challenging schedule. We just sucked.

I just can't follow with all these excuses. Yes, isolated, you can make an argument for a lot of things - transfers, injuries, etc....but at what point are we allowed to blame the top guy?

The coaching decisions were mind numbingly consistent, hilarious, predictable, and disappointing. Time outs. Lack of an offensive game plan. Inability to scout other teams. Inability to make adjustments. Fatts doing whatever he want. Playing time for people who shouldn't have had it.

I want Dave to turn it around. I would love him to be our coach for a long time because he's such a damn good guy. But at this point, and for what he's shown without a single sign of improvement, he's not the guy. If he makes a 180 this year? Hell yeah, that's what we're hoping for. But what we want to see and what I'm expecting to see are two very different things I'm afraid.
Yeah, right? When DH was here, even in his early years, the press about URI was great. I'm talking National press. That has just died. There is no national press anymore. There are no 4* signings. This team is just mediocre. In players, coaches and press. Prove me wrong Dave. But I have my misgivings.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Year 3 of DH. My, how the excitement has fallen. This was year three. A packed RC and enthusiasm off the richter scale.

1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago

Yeah, right? When DH was here, even in his early years, the press about URI was great. I'm talking National press. That has just died. There is no national press anymore. There are no 4* signings. This team is just mediocre. In players, coaches and press. Prove me wrong Dave. But I have my misgivings.
There is no more buzz around this program. Look at the recruits we're bringing in. Guys that we hope were under-recruited and are late bloomers and diamonds in the rough. Look at the schedule. The A10 moved us back a notch and our home out of conference schedule sucks. And why should there be any buzz? Two out of the last three years we were fighting in February to stay out of the A10 tournament play in games
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago Year 3 of DH. My, how the excitement has fallen. This was year three. A packed RC and enthusiasm off the richter scale.

I don't see how we have fans that lived through the Jim Baron, Dan Hurley, and now David Cox eras and can't see after three years that we're in a world of hurt with this head coach. Look back at year 3 of the Dan Hurley era. There is literally no resemblance between where we were then and and where we are now after year 3 of David Cox, but it looks pretty similar to years 2 and 3 of the Jim Baron era , doesn't it?
1 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago Year 3 of DH. My, how the excitement has fallen. This was year three. A packed RC and enthusiasm off the richter scale.

I don't see how we have fans that lived through the Jim Baron, Dan Hurley, and now David Cox eras and can't see after three years that we're in a world of hurt with this head coach. Look back at year 3 of the Dan Hurley era. There is literally no resemblance between where we were then and and where we are now after year 3 of David Cox, but it looks pretty similar to years 2 and 3 of the Jim Baron era , doesn't it?
I feel like the last 3 seasons were like watching the first 3 Hurley seasons in reverse.

And before getting called out by the pom-pom brigade, I absolutely want Cox to turn this around and be successful here. He is a great guy and a great ambassador of URI. But, I'm a pragmatist and I just don't see how he does it based on what I've watched over his entire tenure. Please, basketball gods, let me be wildly wrong...
6 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Just from an outsiders perspective, I feel the opposite of the above post.

Remember that in 2014, Hurley was bringing in a major haul of eligible transfers, guys who sat a year in the system and were highly heralded as a group that should get URI back to respectability.

The team that year I think went 14-18. It was the freshmen from that team who developed and ultimately brought the team back to respectability. It was EC and Hassan, a year later Terrell, those were the guys that elevated the program.

Yes, there were also well-timed transfers like Iverson and Robinson, but those guys were brought in to fit a role, not to be one of 5 next transfer players in the lineup.

I think there is a gut reaction to the new transfer rule that “Screw this any 4-year player that is good will transfer so let’s just go after transfers who don’t have a free pass to leave to build the team.”

It’s just such a hard way to go. Landing guys who failed at power 5 schools or are taking a huge step up in talent and needing several of them to play major roles is just a risky way to build a roster.

You also probably are not going to land elite talent that way. How likely is it you land the next EC, Martin, or Terrell from the transfer ranks?

Teams need to take risks on talented 4 year guys, hope to land guys who buy into the system, and develop that talent and hope they don’t leave. And if you build something great, they may not want to leave.

Cox has to play the hand he’s dealt with the current roster, but they need to get their mojo back on landing those Top 100-Top 150 guys that brought the program back to respectability and build around them.
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 2 years ago Just from an outsiders perspective, I feel the opposite of the above post.

Remember that in 2014, Hurley was bringing in a major haul of eligible transfers, guys who sat a year in the system and were highly heralded as a group that should get URI back to respectability.

The team that year I think went 14-18. It was the freshmen from that team who developed and ultimately brought the team back to respectability. It was EC and Hassan, a year later Terrell, those were the guys that elevated the program.

Yes, there were also well-timed transfers like Iverson and Robinson, but those guys were brought in to fit a role, not to be one of 5 next transfer players in the lineup.

I think there is a gut reaction to the new transfer rule that “Screw this any 4-year player that is good will transfer so let’s just go after transfers who don’t have a free pass to leave to build the team.”

It’s just such a hard way to go. Landing guys who failed at power 5 schools or are taking a huge step up in talent and needing several of them to play major roles is just a risky way to build a roster.

You also probably are not going to land elite talent that way. How likely is it you land the next EC, Martin, or Terrell from the transfer ranks?

Teams need to take risks on talented 4 year guys, hope to land guys who buy into the system, and develop that talent and hope they don’t leave. And if you build something great, they may not want to leave.

Cox has to play the hand he’s dealt with the current roster, but they need to get their mojo back on landing those Top 100-Top 150 guys that brought the program back to respectability and build around them.
I took the above post to mean that it feels like instead of the steady improvement of the first three years under Hurley, and the promise of an even brighter future due to the young talent on hand, that we've slowly been backsliding over the three years under Cox with no real core of players that promise a brighter future.

Instead of a real core like we had under Hurley we have a mish mash of talent that may or may not ever come together to actually improve things and get us back to the tournament
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 2 years ago Just from an outsiders perspective, I feel the opposite of the above post.

I took the above post to mean that it feels like instead of the steady improvement of the first three years under Hurley, and the promise of an even brighter future due to the young talent on hand, that we've slowly been backsliding over the three years under Cox with no real core of players that promise a brighter future.

Instead of a real core like we had under Hurley we have a mish mash of talent that may or may not ever come together to actually improve things and get us back to the tournament
I took it the same way RR2.
Hurley improved from year 1 to year 3.
Cox has gone from Hurley year 3 level in his 1st year at URI with Dowtin, Langevine, Russell etc. to Hurley year 1 in his 3rd year. (Backwards)
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

CamsRams wrote: 2 years ago
I wonder if they'll try to find a mid week game in that area and just stay in Florida for the whole week, though if we keep our dates with Seton Hall and Harvard that would make 5 road games, which is pretty heavy.
So it turns out they won't be able to schedule that midweek Florida game. As of now the schedule is Saturday in Fort Myers for FGCU, then Tuesday at the Ryan Center for BC, then back to Florida Saturday for the tournament in Daytona
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

This is exactly what I meant. From year 1 to year 3 under Hurley we were building a true program with an identity. Building momentum, both on the court and within the fanbase. Under Cox, we started very engaged and excited in year 1 and now people have established the lowest of baseline expectations for this year and no real identity.
3 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

1 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Just saw on Rhody's MBB instagram that Ryan Center will be back to full capacity for the season, yahoo!
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

wpbrown8267 wrote: 2 years ago Just saw on Rhody's MBB instagram that Ryan Center will be back to full capacity for the season, yahoo!
Yup, zero chance they allow people to push their tickets back another year. Either renew the tickets, or lose them.
0 x
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
wpbrown8267 wrote: 2 years ago Just saw on Rhody's MBB instagram that Ryan Center will be back to full capacity for the season, yahoo!
Yup, zero chance they allow people to push their tickets back another year. Either renew the tickets, or lose them.
See y'all there!
hurt.gif
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I wonder how firm this date actually is, just saw this on the URI website for football promotions to the 11/13 New Hampshire game:

"$30 package includes (1) GA football ticket and (1) Reserved basketball ticket vs TBD on 11/12 along with (1) RI Camo Baseball Hat. (Ticket Link Coming Soon)"

That's fairly recent information to the website. They won't be playing 11/12 in Kingston and 11/13 in Fort Myers
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I assume this is a buy game for us but I wouldn't hate a return game if we get them to host it at Agganis Arena
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I assume this is a buy game for us but I wouldn't hate a return game if we get them to host it at Agganis Arena
Agreed - there are many Boston area fans on this board, myself included, who would be interested in a few area games - at BU, Northeastern, etc. While I'd rather have a stronger schedule, if we're going to have "cupcakes" I'd prefer them to be local and home and home with Boston area schools.

Is there a date for the game at Harvard yet? I do hope to go as the arena is only a few miles from me.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I was at the last game URI played at BU in 2005 and it was at Agganis within a year of its opening. Beautiful arena. They however rarely play basketball games there anymore.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago
I was at the last game URI played at BU in 2005 and it was at Agganis. Beautiful arena. They however rarely play basketball games there anymore.
I was as well. I thought the arena was awesome. I remember a BU fan asked me before the game who they should worry about. I pointed to a very young Jimmy Baron who was sitting on the bench. About 1 minute into coming into the game he drained a corner 3 right in front of us.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 2 years ago
For some of us older retired fans/alumni, this may be a nice road trip to Florida.
Go to the the game in Ft. Myers on the 13th and travel to Daytona for the tournament on the 20th and 21st.
This is a trip I am seriously considering.
I'll be there!
The above might be a typo, maybe the 23rd for the FGC game.

Bryant added
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I wonder how firm this date actually is, just saw this on the URI website for football promotions to the 11/13 New Hampshire game:

"$30 package includes (1) GA football ticket and (1) Reserved basketball ticket vs TBD on 11/12 along with (1) RI Camo Baseball Hat. (Ticket Link Coming Soon)"

That's fairly recent information to the website. They won't be playing 11/12 in Kingston and 11/13 in Fort Myers
So now we know Bryant is the TBD team on 11/12 and the date on the FGCU game is inaccurate
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody fans may not want to admit it but Bryant will be dangerous. The Bulldogs lost at Syracuse by just one point and beat UMass in Amherst 93-88 last season. URI lost to that same UMass team twice.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago Rhody fans may not want to admit it but Bryant will be dangerous. The Bulldogs lost at Syracuse by just one point and beat UMass in Amherst 93-88 last season. URI lost to that same UMass team twice.
At this point, I consider every game tough and take no one for granted, and so should our team.
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Tough or not, you know the backlash that would exist if we don't destroy them.
0 x
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago Tough or not, you know the backlash that would exist if we don't destroy them.
True but NET last season of 127, return 5 of 6 top scorers, they could compete to be a borderline Q2 home game.

I don’t know if they’ll get there, but it’s no cake walk. If the two teams played last year, URI would be favored by approx 2 at Bryant and by 10 at the RC.

Not exactly a team that should be dominated.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 2 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago Tough or not, you know the backlash that would exist if we don't destroy them.
True but NET last season of 127, return 5 of 6 top scorers, they could compete to be a borderline Q2 home game.

I don’t know if they’ll get there, but it’s no cake walk. If the two teams played last year, URI would be favored by approx 2 at Bryant and by 10 at the RC.

While I certainly more than agree with your take based on the actual numbers - sadly the masses won't see it that way.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago
rjsuperfly66 wrote: 2 years ago

While I certainly more than agree with your take based on the actual numbers - sadly the masses won't see it that way.
All the more reason to give URI credit. Some schools/coaching staffs would be afraid to play a local school like Bryant or Brown

#whoducken
Attachments
E057E28B-6B8D-45FA-971D-D119B00E30B9.jpeg
E057E28B-6B8D-45FA-971D-D119B00E30B9.jpeg (47.56 KiB) Viewed 1315 times
3 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

This x 1000
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Own the State!
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

If we can lose to Brown (and have} then we can lose to Bryant. But, not this year-we have a strong team.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Who’s heading to Daytona?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

LoveThoseRams wrote: 2 years ago Who’s heading to Daytona?
I am planning on it, but haven't booked flights yet.
Still waiting to see a firm date for the FGC game and try to combine it.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

………heading to Daytona?…….right now it is a definite maybe……..
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I'm going
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING