2021-22 Schedule (top post is current)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2021-22 Schedule (top post is current)

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Section104 wrote: 2 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
CamsRams wrote: 2 years ago Lost home/home w VCU.
Replaced with George Washington in case you're wondering if the A10 thinks we'll rebound this year
Without Bones and Ace I'm not sure VCU will do much of anything this year.
VCU may surprise you, I still think they may finish in the upper tier of the A10.
Their frontcourt is solid with Watkins, Williams, Ward, Levi, and transfer Nichols
The backcourt did add sophomore impact transfer Marcus Tsohonis (Washington) who put up solid numbers in the PAC12 (10.5 pts/ 45%FG).
I think freshman PG Jayden Nunn is an excellent prospect, recruited by URI.
They also have guards Banks, Curry, and McAllister who are all athletic and can score.
0 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

How quickly we’ve fallen. This is a bottom tier A10 schedule.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago Home
Boston College
Brown
Sacred Heart
Duquesne
La Salle
Richmond
Saint Louis
Davidson
Dayton
George Washington
Massachusetts
Saint Joe's

Just look at that home slate! Good luck selling tickets for that shit!

With us and BC in the same tournament in Daytona, I wouldn’t be surprised if that series gets postponed another year.

And nobody should be surprised with this schedule. Cox knows he needs wins, and this OOC schedule reflects that.
Last edited by Rhody15 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

I did not renew. I can’t justify committing to regularly going to the RC to watch what looks like a mediocre team play a boring schedule. They’ll be plenty of tix floating around and they’ll be pleading for fans- especially during winter break.
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Rhodyram wrote: 2 years ago I did not renew. I can’t justify committing to regularly going to the RC to watch what looks like a mediocre team play a boring schedule. They’ll be plenty of tix floating around and they’ll be pleading for fans- especially during winter break.
I agree. I didn't renew either. There is no reason to as tickets will be easy to get for any game. The team just is very average with little excitement to be driving 45 minutes to the Ryan Center to watch bad teams play. It is just very hard to get excited for next years team at all despite not being able to see a game at the Ryan center in close two years.
1 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

I’m not surprised in the least, but not having a home and home against either St Bonnie or Richmond is an indictment of where the program is at now. The league considers Rhody just an ordinary, mid tier team.
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

RamStock wrote: 2 years ago
Rhodyram wrote: 2 years ago I did not renew. I can’t justify committing to regularly going to the RC to watch what looks like a mediocre team play a boring schedule. They’ll be plenty of tix floating around and they’ll be pleading for fans- especially during winter break.
I agree. I didn't renew either. There is no reason to as tickets will be easy to get for any game. The team just is very average with little excitement to be driving 45 minutes to the Ryan Center to watch bad teams play. It is just very hard to get excited for next years team at all despite not being able to see a game at the Ryan center in close two years.
Fair weather fans.. Not thrilled with the team's prospects, but who knows. Just looking forward to the 50 minute drive and cheering them on.. good or bad ram 1982 and myself will be there to support the team.. 🏀🍻
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

CamsRams wrote: 2 years ago Rhode Island
Home: Duquesne, La Salle, Richmond, Saint Louis, Davidson, Dayton, George Washington, Massachusetts, Saint Joseph’s

Away: Fordham, George Mason, VCU, St. Bonaventure, Davidson, Dayton, George Washington, Massachusetts, Saint Joseph’s
Unfortunate that we get the weaker version of an A10 Schedule as we only play Saint Bonaventure, Saint Louis, Richmond and VCU 1 time.

Our SOS (strength of schedule) suffers due to our past performance in A10 play.
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

ram1980 wrote: 2 years ago
RamStock wrote: 2 years ago
Fair weather fans.. Not thrilled with the team's prospects, but who knows. Just looking forward to the 50 minute drive and cheering them on.. good or bad ram 1982 and myself will be there to support the team.. 🏀🍻
I"m def not a fair weather fan- I'll still be at a bunch of games, just not committing the close to 1k for season tickets and have to worry about attending/offloading games I'm not motivated or unable to go to. Seasons like the upcoming one are where season ticket holders end up overpaying considerably- You'll be able to get into any game this year for 10 bux or less and none of the games will come close to selling out.
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

You all know what happened when ticket revenue fell sharply in Baron's last year.

URI can't afford a half full Ryan every night.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
Boston College
Brown
Sacred Heart
Duquesne
La Salle
Richmond
Saint Louis
Davidson
Dayton
George Washington
Massachusetts
Saint Joe's

With us and BC in the same tournament in Daytona, I wouldn’t be surprised if that series gets postponed another year.

And nobody should be surprised with this schedule. Cox knows he needs wins, and this OOC schedule reflects that.
I can't think that Thorr would be fooled by a bunch of wins against a terrible schedule that ultimately gets us nowhere
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago You all know what happened when ticket revenue fell sharply in Baron's last year.

Exactly! The "fair weather fans" moved this program forward and got Baron replaced with Hurley. I'll spend my time, money, and energy cheering on the women's team. There is no reason for me to spend my time, money, and energy on the men's program as it currently sits
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

I didn’t either. I’ll pay for the one or two good games there are and just stream the rest. Not worth it
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

It will be very telling to see how they fill out the remaining OOC games.

I am impressed with the Bonnies scheduling some tough P6 games on neutral sites.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
Boston College
Brown
Sacred Heart
Duquesne
La Salle
Richmond
Saint Louis
Davidson
Dayton
George Washington
Massachusetts
Saint Joe's

I can't think that Thorr would be fooled by a bunch of wins against a terrible schedule that ultimately gets us nowhere
Exactly RR2,
Thorr was not fooled by Baron’s 20+ win seasons. Fan frustrations hit enthusiasm for the team, interest sank and attendance dropped.
Having easier A10 schedule and easy OOC schedule is not the goal of the program - to achieve NCAA invites.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago You all know what happened when ticket revenue fell sharply in Baron's last year.

Exactly! The "fair weather fans" moved this program forward and got Baron replaced with Hurley. I'll spend my time, money, and energy cheering on the women's team. There is no reason for me to spend my time, money, and energy on the men's program as it currently sits
We can’t have a similar replay of the Baron Era especially after Hurley’s recent performance here
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Some of the comments on this thread by our supposed fans are ridiculous. To balance this I’ll say I’ll be going to as many games as possible from 3.5 hours out and have renewed my tickets. I’m excited to see 2 of the best big men we have had in a long long time develop. I’m excited to watch Ish develop. Was always a fan of Khalid El Amin so it will be cool to likely see him at Rhody games rooting on his son. I’m excited to see if Antwan Walker can become the double double guy he is capable of being. I’m excited about seeing live college basketball again, with students and band and lines at the Pub. I too want to see improvement from our head coach and if we don’t see that I too want a change. But I will be there regardless. Go Rhody!
7 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Some of the comments on this thread by our supposed fans are ridiculous. To balance this I’ll say I’ll be going to as many games as possible from 3.5 hours out and have renewed my tickets. I’m excited to see 2 of the best big men we have had in a long long time develop. I’m excited to watch Ish develop. Was always a fan of Khalid El Amin so it will be cool to likely see him at Rhody games rooting on his son. I’m excited to see if Antwan Walker can become the double double guy he is capable of being. I’m excited about seeing live college basketball again, with students and band and lines at the Pub. I too want to see improvement from our head coach and if we don’t see that I too want a change. But I will be there regardless. Go Rhody!
Yeah because you are a true fan. That supports their program no matter what. Fans wavering in there support of the Mens program is only compounding the problem and the reason we are middle tier level A10 program. You half a$$ fans are the reason we are not the Daytons and VCUs of the A10. These programs are where they are due to their commitment by their fanbase that has gotten them where they are today. Even in the down years for both of those programs their fans never stopped showing up or wavered in their support. I agree with a lot of your points that there is more to be excited about then pessimistic like 80% of the everyday posters. I can be frustrated with the outcome of the program last year or two. Or want improvement from many things related to the program but one thing that will never change is my support of the program. That is what makes a true fan. They are called Fanatics for a reason. I would not call some one a fanatic or fan if they are not excited to return to support their program after it being almost two years since the last in person BBAll game. That in it of itself should make you chomping at the bit to return to the Ryan Center. And if you are not I question your level of fandom.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Some of the comments on this thread by our supposed fans are ridiculous. To balance this I’ll say I’ll be going to as many games as possible from 3.5 hours out and have renewed my tickets. I’m excited to see 2 of the best big men we have had in a long long time develop. I’m excited to watch Ish develop. Was always a fan of Khalid El Amin so it will be cool to likely see him at Rhody games rooting on his son. I’m excited to see if Antwan Walker can become the double double guy he is capable of being. I’m excited about seeing live college basketball again, with students and band and lines at the Pub. I too want to see improvement from our head coach and if we don’t see that I too want a change. But I will be there regardless. Go Rhody!
+10000
Nicely put

I am also excited to to see a live game and will continue to root hard for this team.
I live out of state but love my trips up to Rhode Island and will go as often as possible.
I will also attend games in NY/Philly and some in the DC/Va. area, may even travel to the tournament in Florida.

I am really anxious to see how this team comes together with the return of Shep, the twins, Ish1 and 2, Martin, Walker, and the freshman.
I would also love to see a contribution from JH and an improved Carey.
My expectations however are tempered because I expect the upper tier of the A10 to be extremely competitive.
1 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

BAR, best part about your post is here...as straight forward as it is but I'm excited for this too

"I’m excited about seeing live college basketball again, with students and band and lines at the Pub."
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

JimSidd wrote: 2 years ago I’m not surprised in the least, but not having a home and home against either St Bonnie or Richmond is an indictment of where the program is at now. The league considers Rhody just an ordinary, mid tier team.
Hmm....wonder why?
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Free t-shirts?! fitty cent beer night?!
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

sevegny7 wrote: 2 years ago
Yeah because you are a true fan. That supports their program no matter what. Fans wavering in there support of the Mens program is only compounding the problem and the reason we are middle tier level A10 program. You half a$$ fans are the reason we are not the Daytons and VCUs of the A10. These programs are where they are due to their commitment by their fanbase that has gotten them where they are today. Even in the down years for both of those programs their fans never stopped showing up or wavered in their support. I agree with a lot of your points that there is more to be excited about then pessimistic like 80% of the everyday posters. I can be frustrated with the outcome of the program last year or two. Or want improvement from many things related to the program but one thing that will never change is my support of the program. That is what makes a true fan. They are called Fanatics for a reason. I would not call some one a fanatic or fan if they are not excited to return to support their program after it being almost two years since the last in person BBAll game. That in it of itself should make you chomping at the bit to return to the Ryan Center. And if you are not I question your level of fandom.
Sorry, dude. Wrong.
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

I will continue to support the Rams with my four season tickets which I usually pass out to family and friends with one proviso that they use the tickets and If they don't, they never see them again. But I can understand some of the feelings of others here. This is one boring schedule, but it is the reflection of the coach. Color David Cox gray, what a small state public U. needs is notoriety and a coach with spunk, not a guy who blends into the woodwork and you don't even know he's there. Also, I have the terrible feeling that Cox is less than Baron. Please let me be wrong on that.
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago
Sorry, dude. Wrong.
Yeah wrong in the Fairweather fans eyes. With that pink hat of yours.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Sorry, dude. Wrong.
Being a fan doesn't mean eating whatever slop is thrown your way and being happy for the privilege. Being a fan unfortunately sometimes means saying enough is enough, I'm not going to support a bad product
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

So reviewing the schedule more closely, we are clearly in the second tier but at least we have Dayton and Davidson. Dayton is my sleeper to win the conference. This is the first year in a long time the Bonnies come in with real expectations, lets see how they handle the first tier schedule (they have been eating cupcakes for years). We also get SLU at home which should be a top 25 team. My only real gripe is that UMass is such a crapshoot with all the transfers out....BUT AT LEAST IT AINT FORDHAM for two games!
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Sorry, dude. Wrong.
Being a fan doesn't mean eating whatever slop is thrown your way and being happy for the privilege. Being a fan unfortunately sometimes means saying enough is enough, I'm not going to support a bad product
And being an entitled fan is doing that after 2 disappointing seasons as a fan of freakin URI basketball. We aren't exactly talking about the Yankees or Duke here. If you are a fan, and have been for any meaningful duration of time, it has come with plenty of ups and downs. Way more downs than a 10-15 season in a global pandemic when you couldn't even go to games following a season where you started well and collapsed down the stretch. If you literally duck out during the downs and come back for the ups you would be by textbook definition a fair weather fan.
3 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago

And being an entitled fan is doing that after 2 disappointing seasons as a fan of freakin URI basketball. We aren't exactly talking about the Yankees or Duke here. If you are a fan, and have been for any meaningful duration of time, it has come with plenty of ups and downs. Way more downs than a 10-15 season in a global pandemic when you couldn't even go to games following a season where you started well and collapsed down the stretch. If you literally duck out during the downs and come back for the ups you would be by textbook definition a fair weather fan.
Rhodys current situation regarding season tickets makes it very simple to jump in and out each season. Why financially commit when you know you are not getting value for what you pay for?? Other than pre season meet/greet there’s no real benefit for the season tix acct. and no penalty for not renewing Not renewing doesn’t make you less of a fan. For me it just means that I will go to a couple less games and pay a lot less when I do go and watch the rest on tv. It kinda sucks when you pay ~$30 a ticket for a game, then the box office offers the same seats for more than 1/2 the games on the schedule at a significantly reduced price- this happens season after season.

I have been a Red Sox STH since 2000. For the first 8-10 years the big benefit was actually getting the tickets to attend games (including playoff). After a while, the craze died down and tickets weren’t such a commodity- season ticket numbers dropped(value and /or interest wasn’t there) and suddenly the Red Sox started valuing their STH- batting practice on the field/cocktail parties/ player meet and greets/ access to concert tix/reward programs etc.. Point is that just because someone is a season ticket holder doesn’t mean they’re going to continue to blindly write a check each season.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I feel some of the posters on this board actually hope this team fails so Cox will be replaced. The relentless attacks on the staff and almost all the threads being hijacked by a "Fire Cox" theme seem to indicate this.
These so called fans are probably more concerned about not being wrong and saving face rather than seeing this program succeed under the current staff.
I also have my reservations, but I am not consumed by it and feel it is too soon to make these difficult decisions.
I have been a fan for almost 50 years and will continue to support the program.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Seriously question some posters on this board. This team is a disaster, and the A10 schedule reflects how far we have fallen. I don't wish us to fail, but guess what, this team as comprised is not in any conversation nationally. We have been in a three year skid and it doesn't look any better next year. I don't need to hope Cox fails. He will do it on his own. And if he does turn things around, gets us to the NCAAT, he is gone anyways. Nature of the beast.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago Seriously question some posters on this board. This team is a disaster, and the A10 schedule reflects how far we have fallen. I don't wish us to fail, but guess what, this team as comprised is not in any conversation nationally. We have been in a three year skid and it doesn't look any better next year. I don't need to hope Cox fails. He will do it on his own. And if he does turn things around, gets us to the NCAAT, he is gone anyways. Nature of the beast.
This team is no way a total disaster as I previously pointed out.
Time will tell if Cox will be successful and where his future will be, but I haven't given up hope for us.
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago Seriously question some posters on this board. This team is a disaster, and the A10 schedule reflects how far we have fallen. I don't wish us to fail, but guess what, this team as comprised is not in any conversation nationally. We have been in a three year skid and it doesn't look any better next year. I don't need to hope Cox fails. He will do it on his own. And if he does turn things around, gets us to the NCAAT, he is gone anyways. Nature of the beast.
The A10 schedule does not imply disaster - it actually looks like they just took last year NET rankings to make the pairs (other than GW who I am not sure how to feel about next season with the transfers out). Basically we are in the 4-8 range of the conference. Is that a disaster? It’s where the Bonnies are almost every year and they get results with a weaker schedule.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Umm, the team went 10-15 last year. That is a disaster.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago Umm, the team went 10-15 last year. That is a disaster.
Yes last season was ugly and it has been a crazy year for everyone. Not sure how much of that record was indicative of the roster turnover, injuries, shortened practices, last minute schedule changes, and no fans. Remember Cox was still only in his 3rd year of being a Div. 1 head coach.
But I think this team has plenty of potential and look forward to a much improved performance.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Having hope is great. I have hope, believe it or not.

But that hope is tempered by my opinion that this program is going nowhere at present.

But ANYBODY that questions my loyalty to this program is full of it.

I will always be a fan, good times and bad. Good times are coming again, I am sure of it.

Just not that soon.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Having hope is great. I have hope, believe it or not.

But that hope is tempered by my opinion that this program is going nowhere at present.

I will always be a fan, good times and bad. Good times are coming again, I am sure of it.

Just not that soon.
I think you are giving up on this team too soon.
I know you want Cox gone, but I hope you don't put that ahead of the desire for this team to be successful.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Having hope is great. I have hope, believe it or not.

Just not that soon.
I think you are giving up on this team too soon.
I know you want Cox gone, but I hope you don't put that ahead of the desire for this team to be successful.
This is just laugh out loud funny. Yeah, Bone just wants this team to suck. LOL.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Sorry, dude. Wrong.
lol...um, what is that 'sposed to mean?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Sorry, dude. Wrong.
lol...um, what is that 'sposed to mean?
I was wondering the same. What does "with that pink hat of yours" mean?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Why is this pink hat so hated?
https://www.boston.com/culture/fashion/ ... -so-hated/
Fans say it's a fashion statement. Naysayers counter that anyone in a Sox cap this color is a poseur.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago Why is this pink hat so hated?
https://www.boston.com/culture/fashion/ ... -so-hated/
Fans say it's a fashion statement. Naysayers counter that anyone in a Sox cap this color is a poseur.
I never knew that. Of course I don't know what a poseur is either.
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Saint Joseph's will participate in the 2021 Wooden Legacy which will be held on Nov. 25 & 26 in Anaheim, CA. Other schools in the 4 team tournament are Georgetown, San Diego State, and USC.

Saint Joseph's participation means that six A-10 schools have now committed to playing in early season tournaments for the 2001-22 season. Participation in early season tournaments are a good measure of a conference strength on two factors- the prestige of the tournament and the overall performance of the conference in such events.

As of now, Fordham, George Mason, GW, La Salle, UMass, URI, Richmond and Saint Louis have not made any official announcements on playing in an early season tournaments. As this changes, I will post updates to list.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Obadiah,
While URI may not have announced it, news has been out that URI is in the Sunshine Slam tournament along with Boston College, Tulsa and 1 team TBA (possibly Air Force)

0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I renewed even though I didn’t really want to. Go Rhody! After the past two seasons I am all about stacking some wins, building some confidence and hoping the team comes together down the stretch to make a run. URI returns lots of players to be excited about. I’m going to miss DJ but presumably the staff didn’t wanna keep him if he’s where he landed.
2 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Obadiah,

George Mason now in a tournament in November

0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Thanks, ramster, for the input on George Mason which is similar to the URI news. For the record and some semblance of order, I only list the tourney participation by A-10 schools when the announcement is made official on the school's basketball website. That hasn't happened as yet for URI or George Mason.
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

CamsRams wrote: 2 years ago
I wonder if they'll try to find a mid week game in that area and just stay in Florida for the whole week, though if we keep our dates with Seton Hall and Harvard that would make 5 road games, which is pretty heavy.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago

Three disappointing seasons with the AD unable or unwilling to make the necessary coaching change for things to start to improve. My time, money, and energy are better spend on the women's basketball team under these conditions
0 x