The Transfer Carousel - 2021-22

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Re: The Transfer Carousel -2021

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago What a mess. Worst move in NCAA history. This will snowball until the transfer decision is reversed.
If the Cartel likes it, nothing will happen.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 2 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago What a mess. Worst move in NCAA history. This will snowball until the transfer decision is reversed.
If the Cartel likes it, nothing will happen.
Uh, The “cartel” actually has hated the idea for years, hence why the NCAA is just now caving to the immense pressure from everyone else.

Multiple P5 coaches have also spoken out over the years not liking the idea.
1 x
Go Rhody
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Bos8 wrote: 2 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago The "good old days" of URI BB, as infrequent as they were, may become our only memories of success going forward, sad to say.

There will always be a few mid majors who will flourish [at least occasionally] in the future, but that number will continue to diminish...and we may never be one of them again.

Getting the "right" coach will never be more important. Even of it's only temporary, that's what we have to hope for.

And we CERTAINLY don't have that coach here right now.
Is the sky falling? I thought the sky already fell? I'm having trouble keeping up with all these dooms day scenarios!
He can’t help himself. Another pathetic post where he regurgitates the same BS, in an even less creative way. He truly leads a pathetic existence.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

DC_Rams wrote: 2 years ago
Bos8 wrote: 2 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago The "good old days" of URI BB, as infrequent as they were, may become our only memories of success going forward, sad to say.

There will always be a few mid majors who will flourish [at least occasionally] in the future, but that number will continue to diminish...and we may never be one of them again.

Getting the "right" coach will never be more important. Even of it's only temporary, that's what we have to hope for.

And we CERTAINLY don't have that coach here right now.
Is the sky falling? I thought the sky already fell? I'm having trouble keeping up with all these dooms day scenarios!
He can’t help himself. Another pathetic post where he regurgitates the same BS, in an even less creative way. He truly leads a pathetic existence.

I was thissss close to making a post saying “DC Rams response coming in 3, 2, 1...”

The posts are just too too much of “the sky is falling everything sucks forever” over and over and over again.

I think I saw 3 posts today in 3 different threads saying the same thing for the 7483938th time.
1 x
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I see, so 50 posters say the same thing over and over, but when rambone says it, DC rams is right there to trash him.

DC rams can **** off until Cox is fired, thank you.
5 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

0 x
Go Rhody
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Geno says roughly 200 of the kids in the portal may not find a landing spot...20%. I should say... they have yet to be contacted.
Last edited by RIFan 2 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

The ones who did find a spot he basically says already had it lined up....
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago I see, so 50 posters say the same thing over and over, but when rambone says it, DC rams is right there to trash him.

Yup, plenty of people have been calling out Cox for his lack of success so far.

The funny thing is the people that respond to you don’t realize how predictable they are because they constantly find something or someone to complain about...
4 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago I see, so 50 posters say the same thing over and over, but when rambone says it, DC rams is right there to trash him.

The funny thing is the people that respond to you don’t realize how predictable they are because they constantly find something or someone to complain about...
+1000
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

D1 hoops coaches are control freaks, cartel coaches included. This situation is uncontrollable so even most P6 coaches not named Musselman don’t like it. If Auriemma is speaking out about it with the unmatched power and success he has had and knowing he will always have pick of the litter than you know this isn’t something the big guys are looking at fondly.

In terms of the sky is falling crowd, great coaches are going to win no matter the circumstances. Yes it does require them to be able to sell a program and future more credibly to retain players but D1 hoops has always been about the coach and nothing has changed in that regard.
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

I think the problem presently is the knee-jerk reactions ...

The problem is this in my eyes -- In this one off-season, you have all of this happening...

Every freshmen in America - Can transfer penalty-free
Almost every sophomore in America - Can transfer penalty-free
Almost every junior in America - Can transfer penalty-free
Almost every senior in America - Seniors normally don't have eligibility, but this year they do and the one's staying can all basically transfer penalty-free

So you basically have four years of classes where every single player can say "F that coach, I'm leaving and going somewhere where I don't have to sit."
But here is another number, there are approximately 4,200 collegiate players and approximately what 1,600 all moved penalty-free? That is 38% of all players.

So what happens next year? You'll have 4,200 players, and approximately 1,200 would have already used their penalty-free waiver. If another 38% transfer, that would mean 1,140 more transfers. Now you'd have approximately 2,340 out of 4,200 who've already burned their free-transfer.

What should happen is that over the next several years, you'd see less and less players transferring because they've already burned their free year. There could be "traditional" transfers, but it'll be less and less likely to see a kid transfer a second-time where they have to sit a year.

I just don't forsee a situation where 5-7 years from now we are still talking about this like it's the wild west. I'd be shocked.
8 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 2 years ago I think the problem presently is the knee-jerk reactions ...

The problem is this in my eyes -- In this one off-season, you have all of this happening...

Almost every senior in America - Seniors normally don't have eligibility, but this year they do and the one's staying can all basically transfer penalty-free

So you basically have four years of classes where every single player can say "F that coach, I'm leaving and going somewhere where I don't have to sit."
But here is another number, there are approximately 4,200 collegiate players and approximately what 1,600 all moved penalty-free? That is 38% of all players.

So what happens next year? You'll have 4,200 players, and approximately 1,200 would have already used their penalty-free waiver. If another 38% transfer, that would mean 1,140 more transfers. Now you'd have approximately 2,340 out of 4,200 who've already burned their free-transfer.

What should happen is that over the next several years, you'd see less and less players transferring because they've already burned their free year. There could be "traditional" transfers, but it'll be less and less likely to see a kid transfer a second-time where they have to sit a year.

I just don't forsee a situation where 5-7 years from now we are still talking about this like it's the wild west. I'd be shocked.
That's a good point - That the "burn" rate for this is really high right now, because there are essentially four years worth of players taking advantage. We're probably seeing the highwater mark for transfers this year, and things will recede a small amount.
2 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 2 years ago I think the problem presently is the knee-jerk reactions ...

I generally agree with this take RJ. I think things will settle down when kids see that transferring up doesn't always turn into what they expected or wanted. There will still be movement though. I expect most guys (unless severely underrecruited from HS) will stay at least 2 years at a lower program and then make a move up so they have a solid record to fall back on when they go pro. If a player plays 1 year as a freshmen at a lower level, transfers up and doesn't get PT at the higher school for 3 years because they are overrecruited they have ended their basketball career before it started. So it will suck for mid-majors because I think we will lose a fair amount of our best players in their later years. We won't lose all of them though and they can be retained by winning and getting to the tourney. Being the best player on a tournament team is probably better exposure then the 7th or 8th guy on a P5 team (unless it is Duke or Kentucky). It is also going to create a situation where the best mid-major programs just get better because they will actually be able to retain talent compared to the rest of their conference. It is imperative we get to that level fast.

Conversely, I think P5 players who are transferring down will do so sooner, likely after 1 year. The coach will know right away whether they want to invest the time in developing the player and a player recruited straight out of high school to a P5 school is going to expect playing time right away. Mid-major programs will benefit from getting the talented but flawed players and will need to develop them to their potential. Hopefully have Bozeman on staff helps us there.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

The only reason transfers could operate at a high-level the next few years will be because of the COVID exemption.

Remember that this past year, all players were granted an extra year of eligibility, but this is the only year teams can exceed their scholarship limits for it.

So it's possible that next year for example, you are going to have a ton of seniors who graduate in their 4 years, who still have an extra year of eligibility, but their current team may not have a spot for them, or they just decide they want to go somewhere else as a grad transfer.

In those cases, every single one of those players will qualify to move penalty-free, but that is another item that will artificially inflate the transfer number because those players would not be moving in a traditional setting without a COVID exemption since most of them would have graduated and exhausted their eligibility.

After the COVID exemptions end in a few years, there should not be many grad transfers (except for injury), as most grad transfers only had the availability because they transferred somewhere and only played 3 seasons in 4 years.

These are all reasons I'm not bothered by the current transfer situation. Too early to tell.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago

Just because someone says “the glass is half empty” all the time, does NOT mean that they are wrong all of the time !
2 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

David Cox should be looking for another job. His fate at URI is sealed. Players who are capable of improving the URI program will not come here. I'm not down on David Cox; the AD created this situation by hiring David and not letting him grow into the position with his full support.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago David Cox should be looking for another job. His fate at URI is sealed. Players who are capable of improving the URI program will not come here. I'm not down on David Cox; the AD created this situation by hiring David and not letting him grow into the position with his full support.
Your contrarian takes are honestly fascinating sometimes. Like, I can understand the consistently negative or consistently positive mindset - that's pretty common in fan bases. But you just come in from the top rope with the elbow drop on some really random things.
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago ...
Your contrarian takes are honestly fascinating sometimes. Like, I can understand the consistently negative or consistently positive mindset - that's pretty common in fan bases. But you just come in from the top rope with the elbow drop on some really random things.
This use to be the best time of year to be a URI basketball fan with posters predicting 150% of what will become reality for each player. It happen every year about the outlook for the upcoming season. While I want to enjoy the present I take a long-term perspective on most things. While I see URI could have used better coaching the past 3 years, I see in David Cox someone who is going to become a very good college basketball coach. URI hired him cheaply but would need to be patient to reap his potential. With the AD not showing his continued support, it will be impossible for David to build a successful basketball program in future years. The wait-and-see approach taken by the AD is not the support needed to keep the program moving forward. The sooner the Cox era ends and a new one begins the better it will be for the URI basketball program. That is my take on the longer term future of the URI basketball program.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago
SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago ...
This use to be the best time of year to be a URI basketball fan with posters predicting 150% of what will become reality for each player. It happen every year about the outlook for the upcoming season. While I want to enjoy the present I take a long-term perspective on most things. While I see URI could have used better coaching the past 3 years, I see in David Cox someone who is going to become a very good college basketball coach. URI hired him cheaply but would need to be patient to reap his potential. With the AD not showing his continued support, it will be impossible for David to build a successful basketball program in future years. The wait-and-see approach taken by the AD is not the support needed to keep the program moving forward. The sooner the Cox era ends and a new one begins the better it will be for the URI basketball program. That is my take on the longer term future of the URI basketball program.
At this point, I think it may be a little to early to assume that the Cox/Thorr relationship is fractured.
After the meltdown last season, not sure an extension would of been warranted going into this season.
I think based on how the A10 sets up this year, I feel Thorr has given Cox reasonable expectations to justify an extension next year.
That will either happen or the administration will move on for 22-23. IMO
Most of us hope, we can avoid dealing with a total rebuild next year.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago David Cox should be looking for another job. His fate at URI is sealed. Players who are capable of improving the URI program will not come here. I'm not down on David Cox; the AD created this situation by hiring David and not letting him grow into the position with his full support.
Cox has gotten more than enough support from the program which we will all see by him being here until is contract expires. Why should they throw money out the window on an extension when he hasn’t accomplished anything worthy of an extension. Cox will still have a chance the next years with one tourney enough to get his extension at URI
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RamStock wrote: 2 years ago
Cox has gotten more than enough support from the program which we will all see by him being here until is contract expires. Why should they throw money out the window on an extension when he hasn’t accomplished anything worthy of an extension. Cox will still have a chance the next years with one tourney enough to get his extension at URI
Why do we keep responding to this troll? Ignore him. He's the greatest troll this board has ever seen.

Break down this simple statement - so it's not David Cox's fault that talented players won't come here, it's URI's. David Cox isn't a bad coach, it's a bad AD.

David Cox isn't getting "full support" even though he'd been able to hire whoever he wanted, had a bigger first contract than Dan Hurley as a first time HC, had a larger assistant coaches pool than Hurley, and is getting a practice facility built.

We don't need to constantly re-hash the facts of how DC is clearly not cut out for being an HC at this level, it's been established.

72 is a troll with nothing better to do than talk shit about URI as a program on a URI message board.

Please ignore the moron. Period.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

LMAO, lets add to the chaos. The NCAA is a Zoo with no keeper.
2 x
GO RAMS
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago LMAO, lets add to the chaos. The NCAA is a Zoo with no keeper.
True but with many conferences already allowing it, it's stupid for the remaining to continue to fight against it.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago Jeff Goodman thinking Tre's landing spot may be Georgia see below:

Not so fast

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I don't know. Is Wade Mason sleeping with Tre's mom?
7 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago I don't know. Is Wade Mason sleeping with Tre's mom?
........another solid post in the nominations for post of the off season.....
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Tre Mitchell situation is so bad. I wonder if he wanted to transfer or tony wanted to leverage him into another step up. Turns my stomach.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 2 years ago Tre Mitchell situation is so bad. I wonder if he wanted to transfer or tony wanted to leverage him into another step up. Turns my stomach.
Imagine being such a piece of shit that you have no problem risking a kid's future for your own personal gain.

The epitome of a scumbag.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Tre should get away from Bergeron any way he can, for his own future benefit.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
Seawrightspostgame wrote: 2 years ago Tre Mitchell situation is so bad. I wonder if he wanted to transfer or tony wanted to leverage him into another step up. Turns my stomach.
Imagine being such a piece of shit that you have no problem risking a kid's future for your own personal gain.

Still can't get over losing to them like we did.
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Two words: Jerry Duh.
3 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago

......if I recall correctly, being swept by them last year makes it even more painful......
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago

......if I recall correctly, being swept by them last year makes it even more painful......
Speaking of UMass they added 5 transfers: Greg Jones (PF), CJ Kelly (SG), Rich Kelly (PG), Trent Buttrick (PF), Michael Steadman (PF/C)
They now have all scholarships filled for 21-22.
1 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago I don't know. Is Wade Mason sleeping with Tre's mom?
........another solid post in the nominations for post of the off season.....
Agreed.
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago ...

We don't need to constantly re-hash the facts of how DC is clearly not cut out for being an HC at this level, it's been established.

72 is a troll with nothing better to do than talk shit about URI as a program on a URI message board.
No, I have been a supporter of URI basketball for longer than most of you have been alive.

I didn't want URI to promote DC, blame the person who did. There are no facts that show DC is not cut out to be a HC at this level. You are shoveling BS.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago ...

No, I have been a supporter of URI basketball for longer than most of you have been alive.

I didn't want URI to promote DC, blame the person who did. There are no facts that show DC is not cut out to be a HC at this level. You are shoveling BS.

What are the facts he IS cut out to he at HC at this level?

You’ve been shoveling the “he works hard, is a nice guy, and I believe he’s cut out to be a head coach” bullshit for months now.

Of course, you wont reply to this, because you’re an absolute clown troll who doesn’t believe what you post.
1 x
Go Rhody
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago
Makes sense, following suit with the other conferences, including the BE a week ago.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
I get the sense that he's waiting on a firm decision from Illinois' center Kofi Cockburn. If Cockburn commits to NBA draft, then Mitchell would be the center of a 4-out/1-in offense. If Cockburn returns, then I don't see him fitting and playing second fiddle to Cockburn in the paint.
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago
I get the sense that he's waiting on a firm decision from Illinois' center Kofi Cockburn. If Cockburn commits to NBA draft, then Mitchell would be the center of a 4-out/1-in offense. If Cockburn returns, then I don't see him fitting and playing second fiddle to Cockburn in the paint.
I thought I read last week that Cockburn decided to remain in the draft. I think he hired an agent.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Tre Mitchell to Texas as per The Athletic

https://theathletic.com/news/texas-mens ... KeYCFIvQNu
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Umass might be down as a program forever if they keep losing they're best recruits. Awful situation.
0 x
GO RAMS
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago Umass might be down as a program forever if they keep losing they're best recruits. Awful situation.
With the new transfer rule, the A10 is the perfect 'minor league' for the 'major leagues' to get their talent.
1 x
RAMFAN
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RAMFAN »

Does Bergeron get a job? It would be great if he had to find a job without Mitchell
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago Umass might be down as a program forever if they keep losing they're best recruits. Awful situation.
oh no poor umass. /sarcasmfont

I think pretty much everyone saw the Mitchell and Bergeron package deal as an awful idea that had a low chance of working out. He probably should have been at a school like Texas to begin with, instead of - what it looks like from the outside - limiting his own options so that his mother's boyfriend could get a job too.
1 x