The Transfer Carousel - 2021-22

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: The Transfer Carousel -2021

Unread post by Jersey77 »

The NCAA today extended the deadline from 5/1 to 7/1 this year only to enter the transfer portal for the no-sit rule.
See article below, note the last sentence:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... igibility/
0 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

7/1 deadline seems ridiculous. Make up your mind on where you want to be. It's part of growing up. Make a decision and live with it.
0 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

This is nuts. 🥜
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago The NCAA today extended the deadline from 5/1 to 7/1 this year only to enter the transfer portal for the no-sit rule.

Interesting this may affect future decisions of our transfers from last year.

Also of note and I quoted from the Hartford Courant and from SI..

" Following a transfer, the head coach of the new school and student athlete involved MUST CERTIFY THAT NO TAMPERING TOOK PLACE".

https://www.courant.com/sports/hc-sp-cl ... story.html

Another article on tampering and highlighting:

"If a school is caught tampering as a first time offender, that school will not be allowed to receive any transfers for two years. For a second offense, that ban increases to four years. If there is a third offense, then they can no longer take transfer athletes."

https://www.mwcconnection.com/2021/4/21 ... 20athletes.
Last edited by Jersey77 3 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago The NCAA today extended the deadline from 5/1 to 7/1 this year only to enter the transfer portal for the no-sit rule.

Interesting may affect future decisions of our transfers from last year.

Also of note and I quote from an SI ARTICLE.

" The head coach of the new school and student athlete involved MUST CERTIFY THAT NO TAMPERING TOOK PLACE".

"If a school is caught tampering as a first time offender, that school will not be allowed to receive any transfers for two years. For a second offense, that ban increases to four years. If there is a third offense, then they can no longer take transfer athletes."

The Student-athlete with remaining eligibility is not allowed to choose the post grad education that they desire? They really are using the athletes.
0 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

lso of note and I quoted from the Hartford Courant and from SI..

" Following a transfer, the head coach of the new school and student athlete involved MUST CERTIFY THAT NO TAMPERING TOOK PLACE".

https://www.courant.com/sports/hc-sp-cl ... story.html

The second part above sounds pretty serious, like they will be on top of this.

But then I read the first part. Self-Certifications are in essence useless. They are just a PR tool used by government agencies and others who know they do not have the resources to enforce whatever it is they are having self certified. But hey they signed this that they meet all of the terms of the PPP loan etc. So it must mean they qualify right? Just read your news stories about how much fraud there is with these Paycheck Protection Programs. If they are catching more than 5% of the actual fraud being perpetrated, I would be surprised. I would expect similar results here.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago Big loss for St. Joe's
Sad to see one of the top freshman in the A10 leave.

To no one's surprise, the A-10 is being decimated by this new transfer world. So much of its talent, across all its classes, is departing.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I never want to hear the word "Committed" again. It all BS.
1 x
GO RAMS
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

“Self-certified” sounds an awful lot like “self-reported,” meaning schools will lie like hell, and when a Cartel school gets caught the NCAA will put Jacksonville State on probation.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago I never want to hear the word "Committed" again. It all BS.
College basketball has become a bunch of BS. I have never had less interest in the sport than I do now. I wouldn’t be surprised if anyone transferred from URI at anytime. You no longer get to have continuity and get to watch players for 3-4 years while the team improves. It was by far my favorite sport, but have very little interest in the recruiting process or any of the other offseason stuff any longer
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

RF1 wrote: 3 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago Big loss for St. Joe's
Sad to see one of the top freshman in the A10 leave.

To no one's surprise, the A-10 is being decimated by this new transfer world. So much of its talent, across all its classes, is departing.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......what’s next being “committed” to”self certification”......to enroll and actually attend some classes......
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I think going forward the NCAA will be much stricter in granting waivers, in lieu of the no-sit rule.
If not, they wouldn't of placed restrictions on this policy and just grant blanked immediate eligibility. I am sure they don't want to see the same players constantly playing musical schools.
Athletes that are forced out, coaching changes, and move close to home for personal reasons will still probably get a favorable ruling if they need to go through the waiver process. IMO

If I interpret the new rule correctly, grad multi-transfers would now need a waiver to play immediately at their new school.
This may be to our benefit in retaining some of our players considering all our incoming transfers from last year.
Of course if we do end up getting a coaching change, that will probably negate this.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

With a roster spot open now, maybe we go for the ALL Mitchell team and get Stefon Mitchell from BC.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago With a roster spot open now, maybe we go for the ALL Mitchell team and get Stefon Mitchell from BC.
He already has put out a final list. It's between Utah, Minnesota, Texas A&M, and San Diego St.
0 x
Go Rhody
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago
rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago With a roster spot open now, maybe we go for the ALL Mitchell team and get Stefon Mitchell from BC.
He already has put out a final list. It's between Utah, Minnesota, Texas A&M, and San Diego St.
That was before we had a spot open and his former coach is likely our new assistant...
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago
That was before we had a spot open and his former coach is likely our new assistant...
JC will not be the new Assistant.
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago

U hear rumors inside of who it will be.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Dino611 wrote: 3 years ago

U hear rumors inside of who it will be.
IF, I did, I would never post it online. I am just 78.7% certain it’s not JC.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Just another example of productive players from mid tier A 10 schools using this as a springboard to a P5 school. Tough to build good depth in the conference in this scenario.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

JimSidd wrote: 3 years ago
Just another example of productive players from mid tier A 10 schools using this as a springboard to a P5 school. Tough to build good depth in the conference in this scenario.

Just what the P5's wanted - a minor league system for players to first hone their skills.

The new player free agency era will further erode fan interest in college hoops. 1553 players have thus far entered the transfer portal. Schools will have a tough time keeping up with adding names to jerseys and fans will never get a chance to know the roster as it will be constantly dramatically changing year to year.
Last edited by RF1 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

At least according to the figures from the previous years, most players went down in competition, not up. We lost Martin and Toppin last year, but otherwise, we exchanged back-end roster players for players who actually logged minutes and stayed eligible. Increased player movement helps increase the competition level overall in NCAA basketball.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago At least according to the figures from the previous years, most players went down in competition, not up. We lost Martin and Toppin last year, but otherwise, we exchanged back-end roster players for players who actually logged minutes and stayed eligible. Increased player movement helps increase the competition level overall in NCAA basketball.
I don’t think I can agree with that last sentence at all.

Using us as an example, were we more or less competitive this year with transfers than we were two years ago when we were a bubble team for 90% of the year?

Unless we see mid majors in the elite 8 and beyond, I don’t think you can say more transfers will increase the competition level.

After putting a scare into Kansas in the tournament, is the transfer rule helping Eastern Washington when they lost their two best players to Oklahoma?

P5 teams will continue to dominate the NCAA tournament with transfers or not.
0 x
Go Rhody
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

Justin Kier in the portal. Spent last year at Georgia. Would be a nice fit.
Would this be possible with the intra-conference transfer rules the A-10 has?
Technically, he is transferring from the SEC.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

It will be impossible for any coach/program to keep Players 8 thru 12 happy. From blue bloods on down everyone will have retention issues with that part of the depth chart. The winners in this scenario will be the coaches that manage to retain as much of their 1 thru 8 guys as possible year over year. Even that will be tenuous for most given how easy it is to pick up and go. Usually what's good for the athlete is good for the game but the jury is still out on that. I do think full blown free agency can erode fan interest over time and certainly makes the job of being a college coach that much harder.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago At least according to the figures from the previous years, most players went down in competition, not up. We lost Martin and Toppin last year, but otherwise, we exchanged back-end roster players for players who actually logged minutes and stayed eligible. Increased player movement helps increase the competition level overall in NCAA basketball.

Using us as an example, were we more or less competitive this year with transfers than we were two years ago when we were a bubble team for 90% of the year?

Unless we see mid majors in the elite 8 and beyond, I don’t think you can say more transfers will increase the competition level.

After putting a scare into Kansas in the tournament, is the transfer rule helping Eastern Washington when they lost their two best players to Oklahoma?

I think 95 percent of this forum thinks that our W-L record doesn't accurately reflect "talent on the roster," so, we're a poor example. But even if you look at URI's roster - People were pretty psyched about exchanging Tyrese Martin, Jacob Toppin, Dana Tate (no longer playing college hoops), Greg Hammond (bench player at UMass-Lowell now) and Mekhi Long (reserve at ODU) for the talent we brought in.

As far as your other statements - Houston was a Final Four team. The Sweet Sixteen featured Oral Roberts and Loyola-Chicago as well. Some traditional blue bloods - Duke, Kentucky - didn't make the tournament. It's only one year so far with the new transfer rules, but in general, player movement has been up in college basketball, and in that time, it seems like more mid-majors have been advancing in the tournament and being respected in national polls. Dayton was #3 in both poll's when the season was suspended in 2020. There are going to be individual teams that suffer because of the transfer rule, but Eastern Washington in your example now has the opportunity to use their success to recruit from a higher talent pool, similar to how URI magically got linked with better quality recruits as Hurley showed improvement in his time here.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago

I think 95 percent of this forum thinks that our W-L record doesn't accurately reflect "talent on the roster," so, we're a poor example. But even if you look at URI's roster - People were pretty psyched about exchanging Tyrese Martin, Jacob Toppin, Dana Tate (no longer playing college hoops), Greg Hammond (bench player at UMass-Lowell now) and Mekhi Long (reserve at ODU) for the talent we brought in.

As far as your other statements - Houston was a Final Four team. The Sweet Sixteen featured Oral Roberts and Loyola-Chicago as well. Some traditional blue bloods - Duke, Kentucky - didn't make the tournament. It's only one year so far with the new transfer rules, but in general, player movement has been up in college basketball, and in that time, it seems like more mid-majors have been advancing in the tournament and being respected in national polls. Dayton was #3 in both poll's when the season was suspended in 2020. There are going to be individual teams that suffer because of the transfer rule, but Eastern Washington in your example now has the opportunity to use their success to recruit from a higher talent pool, similar to how URI magically got linked with better quality recruits as Hurley showed improvement in his time here.
Hurley landed EC and Hass after going 8-21 his first year. Landed JT after going 14-18. I don't think it was team success that got those three recruits.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago
SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago

Hurley landed EC and Hass after going 8-21 his first year. Landed JT after going 14-18. I don't think it was team success that got those three recruits.
Jared Terrell, you say? I wonder how he got on to this team, though... :D

Hurley's 2016 class was all 3-star recruits, at least according to 24/7 Sports. So was 2017 (just one player, Fatts) and most of 2018 (Harris, 4-star, Tate and Martin, 3-stars, Omar, 0 stars). Maybe he's a bad example anyway, because of his name and stature, even as a younger coach, and I realize the amount of stars a recruit has means it's more likely he's a quality player, not a guarantee. But you can also look at programs like VCU, Dayton and even Gonzaga - They've turned sustained success into landing legitimate 4+ star prospects out of high school.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Better to land sophomore transfers than HS freshmen. At least we would know they can't transfer without penalty.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago Better to land sophomore transfers than HS freshmen. At least we would know they can't transfer without penalty.
Always taking a risk to wait and find the right fit with the transfers. Still need to keep the recruiting connections at the HS/prep level, which may also give you an advantage in the portal if players are familiar with the staff.
If you are able to sign a promising young player in the early period, you take them.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I think we recruit mostly transfers from now on. Any high school kid who is really good is most likely gone after one year. Kids who are really good in their sophomore years (potentially Ish) are most likely gone. We get the kids from high majors who are unhappy with playing time or talented kids from low majors looking to move up. That's what all the mids will be looking for, imo. The Bluebloods/high majors will recruit high school one and dones and very talented mids. The Mids recruit as I stated before. The lows recruit high school and mids who are unhappy with playing time and looking to move down. The bluebloods are the major leagues. The other high majors are AAA. The mids are AA. The lows are AA/A/rookie leagues. Sad that it's come to this. I don't think URI will have a really good 4 year player ever again, meaning a legendary player like Tyson, Silk, Tommy, Jared, etc. Do we want to invest our time and money into recruiting a really good high school player and develop them when they most likely will only be here for a year or two?
0 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

It is what it is, but I think the rule is BS. I understand there are grey areas but for the most part, if your coach leaves or you have a family/personal issue, then you should be allowed to transfer without sitting out a year. If not, you should sit out a year. Tough luck. Of course this is not what we are dealing with going forward, and unfortunately college hoops will be a shit show for years to come until this new system shakes out. In the meantime, too bad for us die hard fans.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago Better to land sophomore transfers than HS freshmen. At least we would know they can't transfer without penalty.
Always taking a risk to wait and find the right fit with the transfers. Still need to keep the recruiting connections at the HS/prep level, which may also give you an advantage in the portal if players are familiar with the staff.
If you are able to sign a promising young player in the early period, you take them.
Isn't it a risk to wait and find a fit with freshman? I could give a laundry list just in the past 4 years of freshman busts. I say we focus on sophomore transfers and we will be better off. Then, we have 3 year players who can't transfer without penalty.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Isn't it a risk to wait and find a fit with freshman? I could give a laundry list just in the past 4 years of freshman busts. I say we focus on sophomore transfers and we will be better off. Then, we have 3 year players who can't transfer without penalty.

I still think it is extremely important to identify some quality HS/prep recruits and get them committed in the Nov. signing period.
We must continue to be proactive in recruiting and get on these kids early.
Yes we still need to be active in the transfer portal if the need and/or opportunity presents itself. You never know what players will become available in the portal or if they will be a fit.
It also gives us an advantage as I mentioned earlier, if we have some prior relationships with those players.

Yes there is always a chance that the freshman recruits won't pan out or be a good fit, but that is a chance we always need to take.
It is important to maintain the recruiting pipelines.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I still think it is extremely important to identify some quality HS/prep recruits and get them committed in the Nov. signing period.
Yes we still need to be active in the transfer portal if the need and/or opportunity presents itself. You never know what players will become available in the portal or if they will be a fit.
It also gives us an advantage as I mentioned earlier, if we have some prior relationships with those players.

Yes there is always a chance that the freshman recruits won't pan out or be a good fit, but that is a chance we always need to take.
Not sure I quite agree. There are over 1500 transfers in the portal this year. Sure, if we have a 4* freshman in our sight then definitely take him. Somebody who is a low rated 3*, I would say pass. You will get him in the portal the next year.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Not sure I quite agree. There are over 1500 transfers in the portal this year. Sure, if we have a 4* freshman in our site then definitely take him. Somebody who is a low rated 3*, I would say pass. You will get him in the portal the next year.
There may not be as many players in the portal next year, just because of the large numbers now, but who knows. IMO
I do however think it will be very difficult for college coaches to navigate through the whole recruiting process the next several years, not knowing how many open scholarships will be available and who will reurn for their additional year of eligibility. As we are aware, after this year all returning seniors will count against the scholarship limit (13).

Seeing some teams return most of their core players and other willing to come back for the additional year, does give me a little hope.
0 x
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

I agree Jersey. Relationships are built on the H.S./ Prep level. It is so important that we continue to recruit at a high level. By establishing a strong relationship with Prep and AUU programs we will be a much stronger program. Recruiting the H.S athlete is essential and something we should thrive in. This is Coach Cox's strength- Building relationships. Prep players are losing out with this transfer situation. We should be able to identify and steal some quality players.

Build the program with solid prep players and fill in needs with transfers. We should be able to grab at least one high end transfer each recruiting period. Transfers will continue to happen but if we can win and win consistently we will be able to retain the core of each team. By recruiting prep players you recruit to your identity. You recruit players that hopefully fit the mold of the program. These athletes come in and learn the Rhody way! I love the opportunity that transfers present to help our program but I don't think we should make it the foundation of the program.
0 x
Ramtastico
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Ramtastico »

Many transfers come because of relationships developed during high school recruiting. To focus on transfers only is not feasible. The relationship with HS/prep coaches helps tremendously too.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

We had 5 people transfer in last year. Other than Malik, I don't recall having any relationship whatsoever with the other four.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago We had 5 people transfer in last year. Other than Malik, I don't recall having any relationship whatsoever with the other four.
The twins would of never committed to URI had it not been for Cox's relationships in the DMV.
I also would bet Fatts helped play a part in AB's decision.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago We had 5 people transfer in last year. Other than Malik, I don't recall having any relationship whatsoever with the other four.
The twins would of never committed to URI had it not been for Cox's relationships in the DMV.
Doesn't mean we need to recruit them in HS. Since, we never recruited them in HS.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

That's my point. They had nothing to do with high school recruiting. We will always have relationships with current coaches and current players. I'm not saying do away with recruiting HS kids. I just don't think it will be as important as it used to be.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago
That's my point. They had nothing to do with high school recruiting. We will always have relationships with current coaches and current players. I'm not saying do away with recruiting HS kids. I just don't think it will be as important as it used to be.
Agree Billy. The landscape has changed. No reason to sign a low HS recruit anymore. The portal has 1500 D1 transfers. Recruits are now competing against transfers who have D1 experience.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Doesn't mean we need to recruit them in HS. Since, we never recruited them in HS.

The point is if Cox hadn't developed the recruiting pipeline with the area coaches we never would of got them.
He can't let those connections dry up. If you don't show an interest in these kids at the HS/prep level their coaches will point them in other directions.

http://anchorsportsnetworks.com/mitchel ... it-to-uri/

I understand your frustration, but we shouldn't let that get in the way of our recruiting process. Yes we do need to be active in the portal if the need dictates but it is difficult to build a program primarily relying on just that.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Yea I can’t think of a worse recruiting strategy than to just flat out stop recruiting high school kids.
2 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago Yea I can’t think of a worse recruiting strategy than to just flat out stop recruiting high school kids.
Did anyone say that? By the way, how many starters on next years team will be players we recruited from HS?
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago Yea I can’t think of a worse recruiting strategy than to just flat out stop recruiting high school kids.
Did anyone say that? By the way, how many starters on next years team will be players we recruited from HS?
Cool actually recruited Antwan out of HS.

Ish was out of HS.

Jermaine was out of HS.

Cox recruited Malik out of HS.

Just maintained the connection when those guys transferred.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Cool actually recruited Antwan out of HS.

Ish was out of HS.

Jermaine was out of HS.

Cox recruited Malik out of HS.

Just maintained the connection when those guys transferred.
Cool. Let me restate. How many players we recruited and committed to URI are starting next year? Harris is not starting.
0 x