Fatts (Grad Transfer to Maryland)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Re: Fatts (Grad Transfer to Maryland)

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 3 years ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago Fatts will have a lot more talent around him, guys he can trust will score if he finds them. I think he'll be much more a true PG rather than a guy who feels he needs to score a lot of points for his team to win.
Agreed. If he can focus on being a pass-first guard, he'll be a solid piece for them. The Big10 is a different animal so he will have trouble scoring in that league unless his shot drastically improves. He'll still be able to blow by any man that defends him, and now that he has guys around him that can hit shots, he's going to have a blast.

I still hate Maryland and can't root for them. I'm a Buckeyes fan.
OhowIhateOhioState
You must have enjoyed our horrible loss to Oral Roberts then
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Fatts will excel.

I don't think it will do anything to raise his stock for NBA. Still will be a high level European player, but I would love for him to prove me wrong.

He may end up with more assists than points surrounded by players that are lethal shooters.
2 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 3 years ago

Agreed. If he can focus on being a pass-first guard, he'll be a solid piece for them. The Big10 is a different animal so he will have trouble scoring in that league unless his shot drastically improves. He'll still be able to blow by any man that defends him, and now that he has guys around him that can hit shots, he's going to have a blast.

I still hate Maryland and can't root for them. I'm a Buckeyes fan.
OhowIhateOhioState
You must have enjoyed our horrible loss to Oral Roberts then
No kidding. Mrs. Red grew up in Ann Arbor and all my in-laws went to U of M.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Fatts

Unread post by McRam »

FDshoes wrote: 3 years ago
ramster wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago Starting means crap! Minutes/game as well as whose on the court at the end of close games is more important. Ish and Shepp must be prepared to make 75%+ of FTs under pressure,

Russell:
3FG: 24-102 = 23.5%
FG: 94-279 = 33.7%

Straight garbage!! Good riddance!
I have no idea what u rethinking. So let me understand, Maryland , a perennial top 20 or more team wants him but he hurts the Rhode Island program.

It is too bad that it appears that we will have Cox and company for another year, that is the primary issue.

(in case I didn’t,t notice Fatts was almost always looking pass first this year, just maybe Cox couldn’t figure out how to run any other offense but a high pick and roll
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

FDshoes wrote: 3 years ago [quote="rambone 78" post_id=481094 time=<a href="tel:1617054336">1617054336</a> user_id=132]
A lot of people think we will be better next season without Fatts.

Addition by subtraction so to speak.

I'm not totally sure about that.

Either way, I don't think it will be a big difference.

With the same team coming back, with maybe another guard addition, we could be a little better.

Not good enough though. And with the same coach.

That's my take, and that's it.

How much did Fatts get paid for being the coach This season was not the Fatts show it was the Cox show. That,s it!,,

I dont necessarily think we will be better next year. Do i think we can be better, absolutely!! What i really want to see is what Cox is capable of without Fatts running the Fatts show. I know alot here are very down on Cox and yes he hasnt been so great thus far but lets see what he can do with an open playbook. He now has the ability to create a system he wants to instead what made Fatts happy.
[/quote]
Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago Starting means crap! Minutes/game as well as whose on the court at the end of close games is more important. Ish and Shepp must be prepared to make 75%+ of FTs under pressure,

Russell:

I have no idea what u rethinking. So let me understand, Maryland , a perennial top 20 or more team wants him but he hurts the Rhode Island program.

It is too bad that it appears that we will have Cox and company for another year, that is the primary issue.

(in case I didn’t,t notice Fatts was almost always looking pass first this year, just maybe Cox couldn’t figure out how to run any other offense but a high pick and roll
0 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

ESPN early top 25 for next year has Maryland at #6!
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 3 years ago ESPN early top 25 for next year has Maryland at #6!
Jeff Goodman has them at #5

5. Maryland
Transferring: C Chol Marial (Soph., 1.6 ppg)
Seniors: G *Darryl Morsell (9.0 ppg), F Galin Smith (3.7 ppg)
Likely Back: G *Aaron Wiggins (Jr., 14.5 ppg, 5.8 rpg)
Back: G *Eric Ayala (Jr., 15.1 ppg), F *Donta Scott (Soph., 11.0 ppg), G *Hakim Hart (Soph., 7.1 ppg), F Jairus Hamilton (Jr., 6.5 ppg), PF James Graham III (Fr.)
Add: C Julian Reese (No. 82), SF Ike Cornish (No. 100)
Transfer Add: C Qudus Wahab (Georgetown, 12.7 ppg, 8.2 rpg), PG Fatts Russell (URI, 14.7 ppg, 4.5 apg)

The Terps could have everyone important back besides Morsell, and Mark Turgeon has addressed two glaring weaknesses from last season: a point guard in URI transfer Russell and a big man in Georgetown transfer Wahab. This is a Maryland team that could have all the pieces to make a deep run, especially if Russell becomes more of a pass-first guy with all the weapons he’ll have at his disposal.
2 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

McRam wrote: 3 years ago
FDshoes wrote: 3 years ago [quote="rambone 78" post_id=481094 time=<a href="tel:1617054336">1617054336</a> user_id=132]
A lot of people think we will be better next season without Fatts.

Addition by subtraction so to speak.

I'm not totally sure about that.

Either way, I don't think it will be a big difference.

With the same team coming back, with maybe another guard addition, we could be a little better.

Not good enough though. And with the same coach.

That's my take, and that's it.

How much did Fatts get paid for being the coach This season was not the Fatts show it was the Cox show. That,s it!,,

I dont necessarily think we will be better next year. Do i think we can be better, absolutely!! What i really want to see is what Cox is capable of without Fatts running the Fatts show. I know alot here are very down on Cox and yes he hasnt been so great thus far but lets see what he can do with an open playbook. He now has the ability to create a system he wants to instead what made Fatts happy.

Russell:

[/quote]

I agree that Fatts was looking to pass more this year, the big issue is and will always be his inability to consistently hit from three being 5’10” (maybe). When he can’t hit a three his only offense is a drive to the lane, every team not named VCU plays their D to stop that penetration or clog the lane once he gets to that level. Once he is in the lane he is a lethal passer, scorer and at drawing fouls. High pick and roll get him to that spot consistently so it really was not a bad option. I am not a basketball guru like some here, but I don’t know what kind of set you run for a guy who is going to take 13 shots and miss most of them, but is also the best ball handler, passer and player on the team. If the other guys in the room at Maryland demand he pass the ball more he will do well. The problem will be when he will go on a heater for a week or two and then revert back to taking shots that he doesn’t consistently make.
0 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

It's very simple...if Fatts is a pass first PG next year and is able to knock down a decent percentage of open 3's, he is going to have a good season for Maryland.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 3 years ago It's very simple...if Fatts is a pass first PG next year and is able to knock down a decent percentage of open 3's, he is going to have a good season for Maryland.
So if he is a completely different player he will be good - got it.
3 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody_NYCT wrote: 3 years ago It's very simple...if Fatts is a pass first PG next year and is able to knock down a decent percentage of open 3's, he is going to have a good season for Maryland.
So if he is a completely different player he will be good - got it.
Ha. That's not exactly fair. He is going to a new team, will be a year older, and will have a different role. Whether or not the shots fall, only time will tell, but I think the potential is there. Fatts was clearly not a pass first PG. That said, he did make a lot of great passes last season (unfortunately a bunch of them weren't caught).
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow 6 preseason ranking sounds optimistic!!
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

1 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Joe apparently didn’t do his homework when he said Fatts was part of two NCAA tournament teams.

Don’t know how you can mess up something that simple to look up.
3 x
Go Rhody
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

IMO Channel 10 provides the worst Rhody sports coverage in the state. 12 and 6 always give URI a fair and equal treatment.
4 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Fatts was not a shoot first PG last year at all. And I'm tired of people perpetuating that myth. We were not the best team can we just admit that? We have very good talent but the cohesion never happened. Fatts would have averaged 6+ assists per game on a team with better consistency. He, Ish and Walker were the only guys I saw going full all the time.
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Running Ram wrote: 3 years ago Fatts was not a shoot first PG last year at all. And I'm tired of people perpetuating that myth. We were not the best team can we just admit that? We have very good talent but the cohesion never happened. Fatts would have averaged 6+ assists per game on a team with better consistency. He, Ish and Walker were the only guys I saw going full all the time.
RR - he averaged 12 shots a game. I understand that is less then previous years and maybe the "shoot first" label is a little inaccurate. However, the problem was not that he was shooting first, it was that he was shooting poorly at a high volume. Sure he could of had more assists on a better team. We also could have had more wins if shot a reasonable average on his high volume of shots. If he averages 12 shots a game at MD they won't be good unless he significantly improves.
1 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Let it Go, Let it Go. he is gone now.
1 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhodyhooopz wrote: 3 years ago Let it Go, Let it Go. he is gone now.
This thread is going to be active all the way into March 2022.
2 x
Go Rhody
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago
It does seem like a classic "player nature vs. coaching philosophy?" thing, if you're comparing his time at URI vs. his upcoming time at Maryland, and whether his production will change in anyway. However, I think the fact that he was playing most of 2020-21 hurt probably muddies the issue significantly. FWIW, Luwane Pipkins went from UMass to PC. His points and assists went down, but all of his other stats improved, especially his DRTG. I think Fatts at his peak was better than Pipkins was, so it wouldn't surprise me if he puts up pretty good numbers at Maryland, as long as his minutes are in the 20 to 30 range and he's healthy.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago
It does seem like a classic "player nature vs. coaching philosophy?" thing, if you're comparing his time at URI vs. his upcoming time at Maryland, and whether his production will change in anyway. However, I think the fact that he was playing most of 2020-21 hurt probably muddies the issue significantly. FWIW, Luwane Pipkins went from UMass to PC. His points and assists went down, but all of his other stats improved, especially his DRTG. I think Fatts at his peak was better than Pipkins was, so it wouldn't surprise me if he puts up pretty good numbers at Maryland, as long as his minutes are in the 20 to 30 range and he's healthy.
I'd be shocked if he didn't. If he's healthy it's a wrap. He will have scorers everywhere and Wahab in the middle taking up all kinds of attention. We saw Fatts find Makhel down low countless times all year. Just imagine that with Wahab.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Some nice posts from Fatts on IG the last couple days. Looks like he is getting ready to leave Rhode Island soon. He's been all class during this process and I'm excited to watch him play next season.
4 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

I do not like Turgeon at all but I will be rooting for Maryland big time next year.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago
B10 > BE. I actually think Fatts will be decent at MD, but I stand by my point that if averages 12 shots a game shooting under 30% from the field they won’t be a good team.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Fatts is going to be more efficient and a better overall player at Maryland, but I don't anticipate it leading to higher PPG or assist numbers. Fatts will have a better roster around him so he won't be the focal point and he will also have a coach who will hold him accountable for those god awful contested prayers he loves to chuck.
Last edited by STC 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

STC wrote: 3 years ago Fatts is going to be more efficient and a better overall player at Maryland, but I don't anticipate it leading to higher PPG or Assist numbers. Fatts will have a better roster around him so he won't be the focal point and he will also have a coach who will hold him accountable for those god awful contested prayers he loves to chuck.
Should be a good fit for both, Fatts will have a strong cast surrounding him..
Maryland will be in the top tier of the BIG, and already ranked #11 in the USA preseason Way-To- Early poll.
Their starting line-up may consist of:
Fatts- PG
Ayala - CG
Wiggins- CG/SF
Scott- PF
Wahab- C
All have double digit scoring averages from last year.
This doesn't even include Morsell who may return (NBA draft & portal) plus Hart who started half their games last season.
Both Ayala and Wiggins are expected to withdraw from the draft.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I can see something like 13 ppg and 6 assists a game
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

reef wrote: 3 years ago I can see something like 13 ppg and 6 assists a game
Wow. How many minutes per game do you see him getting?
The leading scorer for Maryland last season avg 15.1 ppg playing 29 mins/game.
I don’t see Fatts playing 29 minutes.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody83 wrote: 3 years ago
reef wrote: 3 years ago I can see something like 13 ppg and 6 assists a game
Wow. How many minutes per game do you see him getting?
The leading scorer for Maryland last season avg 15.1 ppg playing 29 mins/game.
I don’t see Fatts playing 29 minutes.
See below on pts/mins on their 4 regular starters and leading scorers:
Ayala - 15.1 pts/ 33.6 mins.
Wiggins -14.5 pts/ 33.0 mins
Scott - 11.0 pts/ 30.2 mins
Morsell - 9.0 mins/ 29.6 mins

I can see Fatts averaging around 30 mins and being a double digit scorer with about 5 assists
Reef may not be that far off.

Maybe Fatts is hoping he can turn out like Anthony Cowan, who they were lacking last season.
Besides he already grew at least an inch since he committed there, they list him at 5'11" on their roster. :)
Last edited by Jersey77 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah I think 30 minutes is reasonable for Fatts give him a couple steals a game too
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

This transfer is a WIN for Fatts, a WIN for UMd and a WIN for URI. Fatts will benefit from and extra year of college BB, UMd is getting an experience PG and URI needs to develop a different chemistry as a basketball team that will begin with new player leadership. I hope it works out this way for all three.
3 x
NCAAs or Bust!
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

I see it the same way, 72.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

STC wrote: 3 years ago Fatts is going to be more efficient and a better overall player at Maryland, but I don't anticipate it leading to higher PPG or assist numbers. Fatts will have a better roster around him so he won't be the focal point and he will also have a coach who will hold him accountable for those god awful contested prayers he loves to chuck.
And, expect him to do what he's told. Gonna help him a lot.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

I ran into Daron before he officially left RI and I said that Rhody fans are proud of him and wished him the best in MD.

Can't wait to see the negativity that extends on this thread throughout his grad year.
5 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Taylor Swift wrote: 3 years ago I ran into Daron before he officially left RI and I said that Rhody fans are proud of him and wished him the best in MD.

Can't wait to see the negativity that extends on this thread throughout his grad year.
Yup, first game he scores 7 points on 2-9 shooting there’ll be a bunch of “yup, told ya, he isn’t good enough for P5 schools, too small and can’t shoot” comments.
0 x
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

It's going to be bittersweet watching Fatts play really well and help lead a really good ass team to the tournament.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I will be watching all their games pulling for Fatts will be interesting to see how he does in the rugged Big 10
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Taylor Swift wrote: 3 years ago I ran into Daron before he officially left RI and I said that Rhody fans are proud of him and wished him the best in MD.

Yup, first game he scores 7 points on 2-9 shooting there’ll be a bunch of “yup, told ya, he isn’t good enough for P5 schools, too small and can’t shoot” comments.
I highly doubt it. First 2-9 would be an improvement over 2-13. Second, 2-9 once in awhile is not a problem.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

No surprise that you'll probably be spending your entire summer waiting to comment crap like this.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Taylor Swift wrote: 3 years ago

No surprise that you'll probably be spending your entire summer waiting to comment crap like this.
Uh, I probably was the number one Fatts defender on this board, so I have zero idea what you’re trying to prove with that comment.
1 x
Go Rhody
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Taylor Swift wrote: 3 years ago

Uh, I probably was the number one Fatts defender on this board, so I have zero idea what you’re trying to prove with that comment.
Ya Rhody 15 defended Fatts more than anyone on here. I'm confused...
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

I think Taylor meant to respond to rhodylaw
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Anyway, Good for Fatts, he's going to show you what he can do in a well run P5 program and I predict he's going to be grabbing some big time national attention on that stage, his heart is overflowing with love of the game.
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Running Ram wrote: 3 years ago I think Taylor meant to respond to rhodylaw
probably - I will say it again though. I wish Fatts the best. I will not be trashing the kid if he performs to the level he did here (in fact I think that would be some level of proof that he could play against the higher competition), he gave us 4 good years and was an extremely fun player to watch. He is a highly talented ball-handler and passer. That will translate to MD. If he goes to Maryland and shoots 35% from 3 and 40% from the floor I will be extremely happy for him (and extremely upset we couldn't get that Fatts to play here because I think that is the difference the last 3 years in so many games). Let's not pretend that Fatts was a good shooter at Rhody who had a few bad stretches. He was a poor shooter, who had a few good stretches. That does not mean he can't improve (or that there was underlying reasons why the results were not what he or the fans wanted). It is just how things played out here. I honestly thought he would be improved this last year but clearly the injuries took a toll.
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Lol this bio is 90% wrong. For some reason, Fatts’ freshman season and stats never have been up on his ESPN bio. Maybe that has something to do with the mishap.
Attachments
6CD64C8E-69D9-4434-A305-B84C6598E70F.jpeg
0 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago Lol this bio is 90% wrong. For some reason, Fatts’ freshman season and stats never have been up on his ESPN bio. Maybe that has something to do with the mishap.
CBS Sports /David Cobb ranks Fatts #28 on committed transfers, link below:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... n-to-ucla/

28. Fatts Russell
Old school: Rhode Island | New school: Maryland
"Russell struggled to make shots in his senior season at Rhode Island amid some nagging injuries, but the 5-10 point guard can ease back on the throttle some at Maryland and take on more of a distributor role. If he can recapture the 35.7% 3-point shooting mark he posted as a junior, he'll be a tremendous help for the Terrapins."
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago Lol this bio is 90% wrong. For some reason, Fatts’ freshman season and stats never have been up on his ESPN bio. Maybe that has something to do with the mishap.
This has infuriated me for years. ESPN’s stats for URI just do not have Fatts on the 17-18 team, at all, and they never have.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

I've noticed the freshman stats issue with other players as well.

I HATE how ESPN's player profiles are set up.
1 x