Boston College Head Coach Search

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Re: Boston College Head Coach Search

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago
wpbrown8267 wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago Having a successful basketball program would raise expectations for football and hockey which would put too much pressure on the AD.
BC is a ‘blue blood’ in college hockey, wtf are u talking about...raising expectations on their hockey program
hahahah
In Boston, hockey is the only college sport that matters.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago Having a successful basketball program would raise expectations for football and hockey which would put too much pressure on the AD.
BC is a ‘blue blood’ in college hockey, wtf are u talking about...raising expectations on their hockey program
But, they are not the best program in MA are they? BC last won the championship in 2010. I guess you meant "blue blood" in a way we speak of "old money". Even PC has won it all since then, and UMASS-Amherst this year. You are living in the past.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago
But, they are not the best program in MA are they? BC last won the championship in 2010. I guess you meant "blue blood" in a way we speak of "old money". Even PC has won it all since then, and UMASS-Amherst this year. You are living in the past.
Incorrect. Boston College won the National Championship in 2012.

BC was also ranked #1 at times this year 2021 - that's not "living in the past"

BC also won in this century:

BC was runner up this century:

YEAR CHAMPION COACH SCORE RUNNER-UP HOST OR SITE
2021 Massachusetts (20-5-4) Greg Carvel 5-0 St. Cloud State Pittsburgh
2019 Minnesota Duluth (29-11-2) Scott Sandelin 3-0 Massachusetts Buffalo, N.Y.
2018 Minnesota Duluth (25-16-3) Scott Sandelin 2-1 Notre Dame St. Paul, Minn.
2017 Denver (33-7-4) Jim Montgomery 3-2 Minnesota Duluth Chicago
2016 North Dakota (34-6-4) Brad Berry 5-1 Quinnipiac Tampa
2015 Providence (26-13-2) Nate Leaman 4-3 Boston University Boston
2014 Union (N.Y.) (32-6-4) Rick Bennett 7-4 Minnesota Philadelphia
2013 Yale (22-12-3) Keith Allain 4-0 Quinnipiac Pittsburgh
2012 Boston College (33-10-1) Jerry York 4-1 Ferris State Tampa, Fla.
2011 Minnesota Duluth (26-10-6) Scott Sandelin 3-2 (ot) Michigan St. Paul, Minn.
2010 Boston College (29-10-3) Jerry York 5-0 Wisconsin Detroit
2009 Boston University (35-6-4) Jack Parker 4-3 (ot) Miami (Ohio) Washington D.C.
2008 Boston College (25-11-8) Jerry York 4-1 Notre Dame Denver
2007 Michigan State (26-13-3) Rick Comley 3-1 Boston College St. Louis
2006 Wisconsin (30-10-3) Mike Eaves 2-1 Boston College Milwaukee
2005 Denver (32-9-2) George Gwozdecky 4-1 North Dakota Columbus, Ohio
2004 Denver (27-12-5) George Gwozdecky 1-0 Maine Boston
2003 Minnesota (30-8-9) Don Lucia 5-1 New Hampshire Buffalo, N.Y.
2002 Minnesota (32-8-4) Don Lucia 4-3 (ot) Maine St. Paul, Minn.
2001 Boston College (33-8-2) Jerry York 3-2 (ot) North Dakota Albany, N.Y.
2000 North Dakota (31-8-5) Dean Blais 4-2 Boston College Providence, R.I.
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago

Incorrect. Boston College won the National Championship in 2012.

BC was also ranked #1 at times this year 2021 - that's not "living in the past"

BC also won in this century:

BC was runner up this century:

YEAR CHAMPION COACH SCORE RUNNER-UP HOST OR SITE
2021 Massachusetts (20-5-4) Greg Carvel 5-0 St. Cloud State Pittsburgh
2019 Minnesota Duluth (29-11-2) Scott Sandelin 3-0 Massachusetts Buffalo, N.Y.
2018 Minnesota Duluth (25-16-3) Scott Sandelin 2-1 Notre Dame St. Paul, Minn.
2017 Denver (33-7-4) Jim Montgomery 3-2 Minnesota Duluth Chicago
2016 North Dakota (34-6-4) Brad Berry 5-1 Quinnipiac Tampa
2015 Providence (26-13-2) Nate Leaman 4-3 Boston University Boston
2014 Union (N.Y.) (32-6-4) Rick Bennett 7-4 Minnesota Philadelphia
2013 Yale (22-12-3) Keith Allain 4-0 Quinnipiac Pittsburgh
2012 Boston College (33-10-1) Jerry York 4-1 Ferris State Tampa, Fla.
2011 Minnesota Duluth (26-10-6) Scott Sandelin 3-2 (ot) Michigan St. Paul, Minn.
2010 Boston College (29-10-3) Jerry York 5-0 Wisconsin Detroit
2009 Boston University (35-6-4) Jack Parker 4-3 (ot) Miami (Ohio) Washington D.C.
2008 Boston College (25-11-8) Jerry York 4-1 Notre Dame Denver
2007 Michigan State (26-13-3) Rick Comley 3-1 Boston College St. Louis
2006 Wisconsin (30-10-3) Mike Eaves 2-1 Boston College Milwaukee
2005 Denver (32-9-2) George Gwozdecky 4-1 North Dakota Columbus, Ohio
2004 Denver (27-12-5) George Gwozdecky 1-0 Maine Boston
2003 Minnesota (30-8-9) Don Lucia 5-1 New Hampshire Buffalo, N.Y.
2002 Minnesota (32-8-4) Don Lucia 4-3 (ot) Maine St. Paul, Minn.
2001 Boston College (33-8-2) Jerry York 3-2 (ot) North Dakota Albany, N.Y.
2000 North Dakota (31-8-5) Dean Blais 4-2 Boston College Providence, R.I.
Thanks for providing the stats Ramster...love when the troll gets shut down. And 72, I meant ‘blue blood’ because they’re in the tournament and legit contender every other year.

Ur post earlier was idiotic, and even ur retort back was even worse.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

BC is not the dominant hockey program that it was a decade ago. The record stated above is confirmation of this fact. I never said that they are not a very solid (ie regular tournament) program today. Their AD must feel the heat from supporters for this decline. Once you have climbed the mountain, the fall is painful for BC fans. URI fans have felt this way about our basketball program since 1998 and then again after DH left. Success means higher future expectations. This is a good thing.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago BC is not the dominant hockey program that it was a decade ago. The record stated above is confirmation of this fact. I never said that they are not a very solid (ie regular tournament) program today. Their AD must feel the heat from supporters for this decline. Once you have climbed the mountain, the fall is painful for BC fans. URI fans have felt this way about our basketball program since 1998 and then again after DH left. Success means higher future expectations. This is a good thing.

This is what you said
Fact is Boston College was Ranked #1 in the Nation in NCAA Hockey at times during this season.

BC's AD is only in his 2nd year. He has replaced the Football HC in his 1st year and has replaced the Basketball HC in his 2nd year

BC Football is on the rise. Currently 17th Ranked in Recruiting this year. Finished 6-5 in 2020 and qualified for a Bowl Game. Most publications had BC finishing last in the 15 team ACC in 2020.

BC is predicted to finish 3rd, 3rd and 7th with positive comments below. BC has an excellent QB.

7. Boston College
Boston College had a back-and-forth season in 2020, never having consecutive wins or losses after a 2-0 start to the year. But still, the Jeff Hafley era would have started off with a bowl bid if the Eagles hadn’t decided to decline that option because of the COVID-19 pandemic. Hafley looks like he has things moving in the right direction.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/A ... 159350943/

3. Boston College
Jeff Hafley had an impressive debut in Chestnut Hill, guiding the Eagles to a 6-5 finish after most preseason predictions projected this program to finish at the bottom of the ACC. The pieces are in place for another winning mark in 2021. Quarterback Phil Jurkovec is one of the top returning signal-callers in the ACC, and the Pennsylvania native is supported by one of the league’s top offensive lines and a receiving corps featuring Kobay White (back from injury), Zay Flowers (56 catches), and Jaelen Gill (29). Standout tight end Hunter Long must be replaced. Boston College’s defense needs to take a step forward after allowing 6.1 yards per play in 2020, and Hafley has to replace the team’s top two linebackers (Isaiah McDuffie and Max Richardson), along with leading pass rusher Maximilian Roberts. Transfers Jaiden Lars-Woodbey (DB/LB), Khris Banks (DL) and Isaiah Graham-Mobley (LB) should provide instant help next fall.

https://athlonsports.com/college-footba ... early-2021

3. Boston College Eagles
Why To Be Happy: It was a strong first season under head coach Jeff Hafley, and he gets the pieces back for the offense to be even more dangerous. The backfield of QB Phil Jurkovec and RB David Bailey will be great if …
What To Work On: The running game has to start working again. It wasn’t a function of the offensive style, but with all five offensive linemen expected to return to pave the way for Bailey, there’s no excuse for being 118th in the nation in rushing again.
Bottom Line: Just about everyone returns on offense, and the defense that needs a little reworking needs to start getting behind the line more. The Eagles will be stronger.

https://collegefootballnews.com/2021/01 ... -prespring
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

In addition Rhody72, more info on how Boston College is moving forward in Football in the 15 team P5 ACC:

All Conference for Boston College:
1st Team
WR - Zay Flowers
TE - Hunter Long
C - Alec Lindstrom (Brother was a 1st round NFL Pick)

2nd Team
OG - Ben Petrula
LB - Isaiah McDuffie

3rd Team
OT - Zion Johnson
LB - Max Richardson

Not too shabby
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

I couldn't care a whit about BC football or BC anything. The fact is that BC hockey is a blue blood just as Kansas basketball is. They're an elite program that puts out professionals annually. They're always in the NCAA tourney, always ranked highly, and usually have a chance to win it all.

Now move on, both of you.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Why. Do. People. Engage. With. Trolls.

By dragging him on and quoting him you make the board a worse place.

Ignore. Move on. Christ people.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Really bad take. They were #1 in the country at multiple points this year and won Hockey East with UMass, BU, PC, etc. Knockout tournaments for hockey are weird. Get a crazy bounce or a hot goalie. I think 20 games proves more, although I am sure they would prefer the bigger hardware. Good on UMass for winning it all but they are not BC in hockey.
Football for BC is in a great spot. They spent $200MM on facilities, about a third of which went to the football practice facility. And they paid up for the right coach and staff (although to an earlier point, the AD that hired the football coach is different than the one who hired this basketball coach). I have heard a $40MM basketball facility is fully funded and permit, etc approved. Would be surprised if it wasn't announced soon. Their athletic department, in my opinion, fell about a decade behind in terms of investment and thought process. In the 2000s they had teams in the top 3 in football, basketball, and hockey. And they got trapped into thinking about things worked in the 80s/90s could just carry the day. It's pretty clear the investment is back and the thought process is changed. You still need to hire the right guys so we will see about Grant but the assistant budget is around a million/year so I think, with the facility, they have turned the corner.
0 x