Boston College Head Coach Search

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Re: Boston College Head Coach Search

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I wouldn't be surprised if Preston Murphy Jr. decommitts when Leitao is inevitable fired, and we make another run at the kid.
0 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I’ll be surprised if Leitao is fired
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago I wouldn't be surprised if Preston Murphy Jr. decommitts when Leitao is inevitable fired, and we make another run at the kid.
.......and Pops, to create another father/son act on Kingston Hill......?
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

section(105) wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago I wouldn't be surprised if Preston Murphy Jr. decommitts when Leitao is inevitable fired, and we make another run at the kid.
.......and Pops, to create another father/son act on Kingston Hill......?
The road to the NCAA Tournament does not run through Kingston Hill

Ooops, sorry wrong thread :lol:
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago
So why don’t they get rid of Leitao today? It’s obvious he needs to go.
Big East could do so much better than DePaul. Time cut bait on that dismal, long term, non-performing program.
Leitao should never have been brought back after two coaches but then to hold onto him this long is beyond nuts.
I believe the old AD gave him an extension a few years ago, so it may be a little trickier to pull the plug (although I think they should try to find a way to make it happen).

Like I said before, I like the new AD. I think he was involved with SEC Basketball and then with Kentucky basketball, spent a lot of time with Cal. So there is a basketball pedigree there where the old AD seemed just happy having a nice guy as a coach.

Not sure why the Big East would get rid of DePaul though, especially since they are actively investing in their program. If the Big East had 5 or 6 lousy programs, perhaps it makes sense. But if you look at the last 4 years, DePaul's average KenPom is 108.

If the worst team in your conference has an average KenPom of 108, you are probably doing ok.
DePaul’s NET is 159. That’s pulling the BE Conference Average NET down.
Big East is now down to #5 Conference. Butler also pulling the conference down but at least Butler doesn’t anchor the BE year after year after year.

Consider Loyola of Chicago Ranked #11 NET with a 17-4 record. Loyola is 6 miles from DePaul.

Villanova is #10 NET one slot ahead of Loyola of Chicago.

If Loyola can do it why can’t DePaul ever do it. Coach for Life type contracts are good to hold onto coaches and can be bad to hold onto coaches - these types of contracts can and do make HC’s comfortable. It’s human nature.

93369874-B001-478B-BE6B-05FE1F9FFAC5.jpeg
Maybe on an average basis, but overall DePaul is not making or breaking the conference. There are often more than enough Q1/Q2 games where having 3-4 Q3/Q4 games isn't that big a deal. If DePaul was part of a larger group of 5-6 teams that was consistently performing with a NET in the 100s or 200s, then it's a different conversation. DePaul also commits to their program financially, which is an important distinction when comparing some of the bad programs in different conferences. I do agree though, they need to get rid of Leitao. But their recruiting base, their program resources, they should be able to attract the right type of coach if they open up their pocket books. I'm excited for their AD, I think he'll do a great job there once he's able to get out of the mess from the old admin.

I think it's a very similar situation to BC, except ahead of the game because many of the investments BC is promising to make DePaul has already made.
0 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

reef wrote: 3 years ago
RhodyKyle wrote: 3 years ago
PeteRI wrote: 3 years ago Schmidt is so impressive. I can't believe how he's turned a tiny school in the middle of Snow Belt, Nowhere into a perennial contender and star guard factory. I hope he stays with the Bonnies and gets them to go deep in Marches to come.
Nope, I want him to go. If URI can't have a successful coach, then nobody in the A10 can.
Me too I want Schmidty gone
Well that's some small-time thinking. So the Bonnies take a step back and drag the whole A10 ranking down. That will for sure help Rhody get an at-large bid in future years! Let's just have the league bring in all unsuccessful coaches that we can pay like dirt. So the next time we get a Hurley the URI admin will look around at the going rate in the league and not even make a last-ditch honest attempt to retain him?

Having tenured/high-paid/high-performing coaches helps rise all boats in the league. And if your ultimate goal is to hold underperformers like Baron and potentially Cox accountable, having great coaches around helps to shame the program into not maintaining mediocrity for an extra handful of years. I mean our program has a modicum of respect, we're not Fordham for godsakes!
2 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago BC is not a very attractive basketball head coaching job. Basketball is a #3 sport at BC. Look at the recent history of head coaches, Not exactly your Whose-who list for a P5 school. BC would be fortunate if Schmidt took the job.
I actually agree with this take on all accounts.

They never should've left the Big East, and their leadership thinks that they are the absolute best thing ever and anyone coaching there should be fortunate to do so. They have held that attitude while never investing in the program properly. I am curious to see what them finally investing in their program will look like.

Agreed that BC would be incredibly fortunate to get Schmidt.

That guy can coach. More importantly he has recruited, developed, and retained talent in Olean, NY.

The fact that he has stayed there would tell me he has been waiting for the BC job all along.
BC shouldn't have left the Big East is a bad take. For starters, the Big East they left doesn't exist, anymore. Cuse, Pitt, Uconn. Even team's that came later like Miami and VT. It's a league now of very good basketball only schools but one spread out over a zillion miles. The current Big East is a very good league but it isn't the ACC. And that's before the football discussion which makes this whole conversation moot. Al was over .500 in the ACC in his five years there. BC's failure was a cocktail of disastrous hirings and decisions. Thinking they could compete the same way Tom Davis, Gary Williams, and even Al did. You have to invest in the program. Soup to nuts. Head coach to facilities to staff to support to even things like nutritional and academic support. That's the only way to do it in the ACC. Maybe they finally have figured it out but it cost them a decade and a lot of scar tissue on their reputation as a program. But, the Big East take is tired not to mention very wrong.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Gonebarongone wrote: 3 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago BC is not a very attractive basketball head coaching job. Basketball is a #3 sport at BC. Look at the recent history of head coaches, Not exactly your Whose-who list for a P5 school. BC would be fortunate if Schmidt took the job.
I actually agree with this take on all accounts.

They never should've left the Big East, and their leadership thinks that they are the absolute best thing ever and anyone coaching there should be fortunate to do so. They have held that attitude while never investing in the program properly. I am curious to see what them finally investing in their program will look like.

Agreed that BC would be incredibly fortunate to get Schmidt.

That guy can coach. More importantly he has recruited, developed, and retained talent in Olean, NY.

The fact that he has stayed there would tell me he has been waiting for the BC job all along.
BC shouldn't have left the Big East is a bad take. For starters, the Big East they left doesn't exist, anymore. Cuse, Pitt, Uconn. Even team's that came later like Miami and VT. It's a league now of very good basketball only schools but one spread out over a zillion miles. The current Big East is a very good league but it isn't the ACC. And that's before the football discussion which makes this whole conversation moot. Al was over .500 in the ACC in his five years there. BC's failure was a cocktail of disastrous hirings and decisions. Thinking they could compete the same way Tom Davis, Gary Williams, and even Al did. You have to invest in the program. Soup to nuts. Head coach to facilities to staff to support to even things like nutritional and academic support. That's the only way to do it in the ACC. Maybe they finally have figured it out but it cost them a decade and a lot of scar tissue on their reputation as a program. But, the Big East take is tired not to mention very wrong.
Agree GBG. Boston College is in the right league. In fact, BC is the only New England School in a P5 Conference.

UCONN would give anything to be in the ACC. They tried but couldn't get it to happen.

BC is investing heavily in facilities and this selection of a new Head Coach is important - as it is for all schools.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Calhoun screwed UConn with his arrogance, when it came to joining the ACC.

Being in the ACC would have revived their football program big time, along with BB playing the likes of UNC and Duke every season.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

rhodyruckus wrote: 3 years ago
reef wrote: 3 years ago
RhodyKyle wrote: 3 years ago

Nope, I want him to go. If URI can't have a successful coach, then nobody in the A10 can.
Me too I want Schmidty gone
Well that's some small-time thinking. So the Bonnies take a step back and drag the whole A10 ranking down. That will for sure help Rhody get an at-large bid in future years! Let's just have the league bring in all unsuccessful coaches that we can pay like dirt. So the next time we get a Hurley the URI admin will look around at the going rate in the league and not even make a last-ditch honest attempt to retain him?

Having tenured/high-paid/high-performing coaches helps rise all boats in the league. And if your ultimate goal is to hold underperformers like Baron and potentially Cox accountable, having great coaches around helps to shame the program into not maintaining mediocrity for an extra handful of years. I mean our program has a modicum of respect, we're not Fordham for godsakes!
With our current situation (coach and team composition) we're not getting an at-large bid in the immediate future. Yes we're petty. If URI would actually be in a position to earn a berth, I'd feel very differently. Right now, misery loves company so if we're bad I want them to be bad too.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Calhoun screwed UConn with his arrogance, when it came to joining the ACC.

Being in the ACC would have revived their football program big time, along with BB playing the likes of UNC and Duke every season.
It sounds like the person more to blame was the CT attorney general who filed a lawsuit against the ACC and the schools that went from the Big East to the ACC. Plus, football drives the bus and what are you going to choose, Louisville football or UConn football. Finally, the other issue was geography. The ACC was worried about the Big 12 trying to scoop up Louisville, there was never that same worry about UConn. Basically their thinking was, if we want Louisville we need to take them now. If we want UConn we can have them whenever we want
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I definitely think DePaul can be a major player if they make the right hire

I think Porter Moser would be near the top of their list ??
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

reef wrote: 3 years ago I definitely think DePaul can be a major player if they make the right hire

I think Porter Moser would be near the top of their list ??
What makes you think this? I mean, they are the Fordham of the nbe.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Maybe not a major player but maybe toward the middle of the BE

Fordham is just a lost cause even DePaul is better than them
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

reef wrote: 3 years ago Maybe not a major player but maybe toward the middle of the BE

Any high major team in a great city is just the right hire and right support away from being a consistent top 30 type team. Now, it's hard to get both those right but college basketball is so coach driven that I would never bury a school with that history and potential. Baylor was literally a dead program and got the right guy. Has anyone ever been to Lubbock, TX? Chris Beard gets them to OT of a national title game. It's much more likely DePaul stays bad because that's just the way it is. Talent is concentrated at the top. But, much like BC, the pieces are there if they strike it just right. I would add this becomes even easier with the movement of talent in college basketball now. I think at least two of that TT's teams starters were grad transfers. Tariq Owens and the other name I forget.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

reef wrote: 3 years ago Maybe not a major player but maybe toward the middle of the BE

Any high major team in a great city is just the right hire and right support away from being a consistent top 30 type team. Now, it's hard to get both those right but college basketball is so coach driven that I would never bury a school with that history and potential. Baylor was literally a dead program and got the right guy. Has anyone ever been to Lubbock, TX? Chris Beard gets them to OT of a national title game. It's much more likely DePaul stays bad because that's just the way it is. Talent is concentrated at the top. But, much like BC, the pieces are there if they strike it just right. I would add this becomes even easier with the movement of talent in college basketball now. I think at least two of that TT's teams starters were grad transfers. Tariq Owens and the other name I forget.
The other grad transfer at TT 2018-19 finalist team was Matt Mooney, previously 2 time first team All Summit League conference player.

TT also had the pieces in place for another deep run. They finished the previous year in the Elite 8 and had Big 12 POY Jarrett Culver and another all conference player in Moretti, plus redshirt senior big man Odiase.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

I would tend to agree, but one thing that does seem to be happening more and more is that kids are looking to leave their cities. Someone with connections and a well known name in Chicago doesn't necessarily need to be located there to pull kids. Especially if its a good situation.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If kids nowadays think they could do better somewhere else, they up and leave.

That does not bode well for us, again.

Of course there's a couple that if they do leave, are no big loss.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Marcos Santos Silva from VCU is the other.
0 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago

Marcos Santos Silva from VCU is the other.
I think he was referring to the TT team that went to the finals in 2018-2019 that included Tariq Owens. Matt Mooney as I posted earlier was the other grad transfer.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

I keep hearing Dennis Gates name in the BC rumor mill. But they're using a search firm right now so I doubt anyone knows much of anything yet.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

From Cleveland St good coach
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Would think Schmidty if he wants it
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

reef wrote: 3 years ago Would think Schmidty if he wants it
He would crawl from Olean to Boston for the job. Let's be honest here.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

No Becker?
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

theblueram wrote: 3 years agoNo Becker?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago
theblueram wrote: 3 years agoNo Becker?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
https://www.bcinterruption.com/2021/2/1 ... basketball

Mic drop?
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Becker seemingly has the resume of success, experience and familiarity with the area that BC is in... So why would they ever want to interview him? They're BC.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Stoudamire has proven he can land big time recruits at Pacific (i.e. Mading) so he’s got to be the front runner for BC.

/s
4 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago Becker seemingly has the resume of success, experience and familiarity with the area that BC is in... So why would they ever want to interview him? They're BC.
1. I would be very surprised if they went with a guy without at least some experience fighting high major recruiting battles.
2. Taking over a league powerhouse and keeping them a league powerhouse is not nothing. But, keeping the train on the tracks is way different than fixing the train, putting it on the tracks, and getting it running. Would have been the type of guy who took over for Skinner and did a nice job. This job description is way different.

If Becker is the hire, I would be stunned. Would mean they swung and missed on a lot of guys.
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Still hearing Gates is the favorite.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

How BC Posters Graded the selection of Earl Grant

POLL
Grade BC's hire of Earl Grant as men's basketball coach:

3% A (5 votes)
26% B (41 votes)
32% C (51 votes)
27% D (43 votes)
13% F (20 votes)
Last edited by ramster 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago How BC Posters Graded the selection of Anthony Grant

POLL

3% A (5 votes)
26% B (41 votes)
32% C (51 votes)
27% D (43 votes)
13% F (20 votes)
Who did they hire? Anthony Grant? Earl Grant? Mudcat Grant? Ulysses S. Grant? Lou Grant?
3 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 3 years ago

POLL

3% A (5 votes)
26% B (41 votes)
32% C (51 votes)
27% D (43 votes)
13% F (20 votes)
Who did they hire? Anthony Grant? Earl Grant? Mudcat Grant? Ulysses S. Grant? Lou Grant?
Coaching career
2002–2004 The Citadel (Assistant Coach)
2004–2007 Winthrop(Assistant Coach)
2007–2010 Wichita State (Assistant Coach)
2010–2014 Clemson (Assistant Coach)
2014–2021 College of Charleston (Head Coach)
2021–present Boston College (Head Coach)

2014–15 College of Charleston (9–24) (3–15) 10th
2015–16 College of Charleston (17–14) (8–10) 7th
2016–17 College of Charleston (25–10) (14–4) 2nd NIT First Round
2017–18 College of Charleston (26–8) (14–4) T–1st NCAA First Round
2018–19 College of Charleston (24–9) (12–6) 3rd
2019–20 College of Charleston (17–14) (11–7) T–4th
2020–21 College of Charleston (9–10( (7–4) 3rd
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Seems like an underwhelming hire considering what their list looked like when the job was open
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

POLL

3% A (5 votes)
26% B (41 votes)
32% C (51 votes)
27% D (43 votes)
13% F (20 votes)
Still not sure who they hired, but I'd rank 'em:

Lou
Ulysses
Mudcat
Anthony
Earl (not sure who this is)
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Bud Grant didn’t make the cut?.......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Molinari has 20 years of experience as a head coach at the Division I level and has been an assistant at Nebraska and Oklahoma since 2014. As head coach, he made 2 NCAA tournament appearances, in 1991 with Northern Illinois and 1996 with Bradley.
The previous two hires made to Earl Grant’s staff, Chris Markwood and Anthony Goins, have promising resumes when it comes to recruiting the Northeast, but were heavily lacking coaching experience at an ACC or similar level. Molinari is the perfect hire to fill that hole. He brings a ton of coaching experience to a relatively young staff. He’s coached in the B1G or Big 12 for 9 total years as an assistant and 1 season as an interim head coach for Minnesota.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Molinari has 20 years of experience as a head coach at the Division I level and has been an assistant at Nebraska and Oklahoma since 2014. As head coach, he made 2 NCAA tournament appearances, in 1991 with Northern Illinois and 1996 with Bradley.
The previous two hires made to Earl Grant’s staff, Chris Markwood and Anthony Goins, have promising resumes when it comes to recruiting the Northeast, but were heavily lacking coaching experience at an ACC or similar level. Molinari is the perfect hire to fill that hole. He brings a ton of coaching experience to a relatively young staff. He’s coached in the B1G or Big 12 for 9 total years as an assistant and 1 season as an interim head coach for Minnesota.
I am very familiar with Molinari because of his time at Nebraska, where he worked with the post players and responsible for game-planning.
He brings a wealth of knowledge (has over 300 victories as a head coach) and should compliment the young staff, where he wouldn't be needed much on the recruiting trail.
He is extremely intelligent and also earned a juris doctor degree from DePaul.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I think Lou would make a great coach. He seems like a Lombardi type.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Molinari sounds like a good hire they needed someone with a wealth of experience
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Having a successful basketball program would raise expectations for football and hockey which would put too much pressure on the AD.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago Having a successful basketball program would raise expectations for football and hockey which would put too much pressure on the AD.
Huh??
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago Having a successful basketball program would raise expectations for football and hockey which would put too much pressure on the AD.
BC is a ‘blue blood’ in college hockey, wtf are u talking about...raising expectations on their hockey program
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

section(105) wrote: 3 years ago Bud Grant didn’t make the cut?.......
Forgot to include Ginger Grant
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 3 years ago Bud Grant didn’t make the cut?.......
Forgot to include Ginger Grant
+Cary?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

wpbrown8267 wrote: 3 years ago

BC is a ‘blue blood’ in college hockey, wtf are u talking about...raising expectations on their hockey program
Rhody72,

BC brought in a new AD in 2020 and for sure expectations are raised in all sports. I am sure that AD Patrick Kraft is not afraid of "too much pressure"

Don't think you are up on BC Hockey historical and current performance so here is a summary.
Football is on the upswing with the hiring of former Ohio State Assistant Coach Jeff Hafley

Boston College Hockey
  • Ranked #1 at times during 2021, ranked 3rd on March 24 Rankings. Finished season Ranked #6
  • Won the National Championship this decade 4 times: 2001, 2008, 2010 and 2012
  • Finished 1st in Hockey East (16-4-1) and overall (17-6-1)
Rankings March 24
1 North Dakota (36) 21-5-1 795 2
2 Minnesota (1) 23-6-0 737 4
3 Boston College (3) 17-5-1 737 1

Boston College Football
  • Joined P5 ACC in all sports in 2005
  • Ranked as high as #17 in 2018. Hosted ESPN Game Day vs #1 Ranked Clemson.
  • Fired HC Steve Addazio after 7 seasons at end of 2019 season. He went 44-44 during that time
  • Hired Jeff Hafley who was co-defensive coordinator and secondary coach at Ohio State
  • Last season finished 5th in the ACC at 5-5, 6-5 overall. Qualified for Bowl Game but declined due to covid risks
  • In 2020 Season BC lost to #12 North Carolina 26-22, lost to @ #1 Clemson 34-28, lost to #2 Notre Dame 45-31. Won @ Duke, Pittsburgh, Georgia Tech, @ Syracuse and Louisville

Boston College AD and Head Coaching Changes
  • Boston College is the only P5 Team in New England
  • Boston College Hired Patrick Kraft in June 2020. Kraft was considered one of the best athletics administrators in D1 while at Temple
  • The new AD replaced the Jim Christian - Basketball Head Coach after 7 years in mid February
  • The new AD replaced the Football Head Coach after 7 years - definitely not standing still
  • Boston College beat URI last season in Basketball

You criticize BC yet you have wanted this season to extend David Cox Contract by several years and increase his Salary substantially. Bottom line, Thorr did not increase his Contract.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

hahahah
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago
hahahah
Good to see my blocking on 72 was warranted.

What an absolute idiot.
1 x
Go Rhody