Assistant Coach Opening in Men's Basketball

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: Assistant Coach Opening in Men's Basketball

Unread post by section(105) »

......do we have a scholarship open.......for Murphy son......?
......can he be a “walk on” and enrolled as child of employee......?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

section(105) wrote: 3 years ago ......do we have a scholarship open.......for Murphy son......?
......can he be a “walk on” and enrolled as child of employee......?
If you are talking Murphy Jr, he is a 22' recruit, will probably have several open scholarships.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Same as Jimmy and his dad, 105.

Hire Preston as Asst HC, and he could take over when Cox leaves.

I don't think Preston has been a 1st assistant yet. This would be the perfect opportunity, but it might have to be Thorr's decision.

77 that's true. Would be a perfect fit. Only question would be if the admin would hire Preston due to his issue at Creighton.

I still think [no proof of course] he was acting on McDermott's orders.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Of course, hiring Preston would seem great....but we would still be hiring another who has no D1 head coaching experience if he were to take over.

Not sure Thorr would want to go that route again.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Of course, hiring Preston would seem great....but we would still be hiring another who has no D1 head coaching experience if he were to take over.

Impressive you made two posts 4 minutes apart and completely changed your opinion on Preston as associate HC then being the head coach.

Doubt Thorr does that again.
1 x
Go Rhody
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Of course, hiring Preston would seem great....but we would still be hiring another who has no D1 head coaching experience if he were to take over.

Impressive you made two posts 4 minutes apart and completely changed your opinion on Preston as associate HC then being the head coach.

Doubt Thorr does that again.
Attachments
mac both sides.png
4 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

My goal in this hire would not be to get the “next coach” - we need to be looking for the guy who can help Cox fulfill his potential. Bring me a guy who can help coach an offense. Bring me a guy who is going to scout games and put the guys we have here in the best position to win. Cox is a good recruiter on his own, he has an eye for talent and has I think made a really strong roster. Need a coach to help mold those really talented players together.
1 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

I know no one wants to talk about it but the circumstances in which he left Creighton were pretty murky. And, to a lesser extent, BC as well. He hasn't been on a staff since. Not sure any AD would want to take a chance like that. Definitely not for a first time HC.
2 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

If Preston is the choice that Cox makes- that’s fine(I don’t fully agree). If the reason he gets the position is that his son comes with him- that’s not fine. Those situations don’t play out as great as people think.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I'm guessing, like it usually is here, that this will be a long process.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

4Diffs wrote: 3 years ago
Rhodyram wrote: 3 years ago Sutton is highly liked/respected in the coaching world. He will have plenty of opportunities.
We shall see about this, I am not sure he is as highly thought of as you may think. I think A10 level or below is where he ends up. Liked/respected yes, but does not mean he is a top notch assistant. I would say based on what I saw, not very impressed by the top assistant on the staff. There is not one thing he did above average in my opinion.
With the specific requirements listed, maybe they already have someone in mind?
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhodyram wrote: 3 years ago If Preston is the choice that Cox makes- that’s fine(I don’t fully agree). If the reason he gets the position is that his son comes with him- that’s not fine. Those situations don’t play out as great as people think.
The Mobley’s at USC and the Cunningham’s at OSU would beg to differ.
0 x
Go Rhody
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

How bout Danny Manning and his Dad at Kansas. Bergeron and Mitchell very similar at Umass.

In any event we need a stud with lots of x and o experience including using unused fouls at the end of the half with few seconds left to prevent the other team from getting off a shot.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Christian would be a GREAT hire here.

Unfortunately, unless Thorr were to fire Cox really soon, this window of opportunity will pass.

I don't think he would take the top assistant job here.

And I don't need anyone telling me Cox is staying...I know that.

However, I would love to know what our top donors are thinking.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Preston Jr isn’t a top player like those listed. He isn’t even a top recruit for URI. He also broke his wrist and is just starting to play again.
I don’t think URI is going to hire a coach who can’t get a job anywhere else. There are a lot of top assistants looking for jobs right now due to the coaching carousel. If they combine Sutton’s salary and John Carroll’s salary, I believe they have $300,000 to spend on one position.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhody83 wrote: 3 years ago Preston Jr isn’t a top player like those listed. He isn’t even a top recruit for URI. He also broke his wrist and is just starting to play again.
I don’t think URI is going to hire a coach who can’t get a job anywhere else. There are a lot of top assistants looking for jobs right now due to the coaching carousel. If they combine Sutton’s salary and John Carroll’s salary, I believe they have $300,000 to spend on one position.
Is John Carroll gone too?
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Rhody83 wrote: 3 years ago Preston Jr isn’t a top player like those listed. He isn’t even a top recruit for URI. He also broke his wrist and is just starting to play again.
Jon Carroll is not getting his full salary. Last year he made 40K, per the transparency portal. His son made 69K.

So I am not certain there is 300K to spend on one position.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago
Rhodyram wrote: 3 years ago Sutton is highly liked/respected in the coaching world. He will have plenty of opportunities.
We shall see about this, I am not sure he is as highly thought of as you may think. I think A10 level or below is where he ends up. Liked/respected yes, but does not mean he is a top notch assistant. I would say based on what I saw, not very impressed by the top assistant on the staff. There is not one thing he did above average in my opinion.
Bet on it!!
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago
Bet on it!!
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Checking the UConn board on assistant coach discussion, their poll favored Luke Murray, with Dave Leitao running 2nd.
I would also be happy with either but Christian or Murphy would be my favorites.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 3 years ago
Jon Carroll is not getting his full salary. Last year he made 40K, per the transparency portal. His son made 69K.

I saw John Carroll at $128M and Austin at $99M. TJ was at $85M.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I thought that also but Bill Koch listed what each of the assistants were paid last year in his article about Sutton leaving.
From the article :
Sutton was the top earner on Cox’s staff, taking home $183,859 last season, according to the state’s transparency portal at ri.gov. URI’s other two assistants, Buchanan and Carroll, were paid a combined $184,999.88. The elder Carroll earned $128,793.08, bringing the staff’s total compensation to just shy of $498,000.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I feel bad that the elder Carroll got sick but there's no way he should make more than any of the assistants.
I hope it's not true that younger Carroll makes 69,000.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

As previously stated Austin was at $100,000 and TJ at $85,000. Without Sutton and John Carroll there is $315,000 available using last year's salaries.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Is John Carroll gone?

Nobody here has confirmed that as of yet.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I think it's more a feeling that his salary would be better used to up the assistants' pay.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

eli#10 wrote: 3 years ago

People say URI doesn’t pay assistants at top of the market, but here we are paying assistants over $300,000,000? Hell, I’d do that job for 1% of that.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We're not paying any one assistant 300K for sure, right now anyway.

Although the 188K that Sutton made, needs to increase substantially if they want to get someone good.

For instance, if we were to offer Christian, we would have to offer him a good deal more than Sutton made.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Considering Cox didn't get a contract extension, I would assume the elder Carroll's money doesn't come from our coaches pool. The pool is established in Cox's contract, and it's set at $425 for 3 assistant coaches.

This stuff is all public record and Bill Koch does a great job of putting it out there. It's just a google search. No excuse for just throwing shit at the wall when literally you can just read his contract.

https://www.providencejournal.com/sport ... --contract
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

John Carroll is not a coach on the team's web page but is listed as a Special Assistant to the Head Coach.
0 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

TruePoint wrote: 3 years ago
eli#10 wrote: 3 years ago

People say URI doesn’t pay assistants at top of the market, but here we are paying assistants over $300,000,000? Hell, I’d do that job for 1% of that.
Eli must be a banker. One "M" for thousands, two "MM" for millions and so on.
4 x
Common sense is not common.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago We're not paying any one assistant 300K for sure, right now anyway.

Although the 188K that Sutton made, needs to increase substantially if they want to get someone good.

For instance, if we were to offer Christian, we would have to offer him a good deal more than Sutton made.
I think Christian is probably priced out of this job unless he had some sort of offset from BC for whatever is left on his BC deal. Private schools don't have to let out any info but if he was getting paid 2021-22 or beyond (I think most of his last extension was in name only) then it would just be a question of if he wanted to be on a bench this year. He might take $1 salary as an FU to BC.
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Is John Carroll now gone as well?
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Rhody83 wrote: 3 years ago

I thought that also but Bill Koch listed what each of the assistants were paid last year in his article about Sutton leaving.
From the article :
Sutton was the top earner on Cox’s staff, taking home $183,859 last season, according to the state’s transparency portal at ri.gov. URI’s other two assistants, Buchanan and Carroll, were paid a combined $184,999.88. The elder Carroll earned $128,793.08, bringing the staff’s total compensation to just shy of $498,000.
You can go to the RI Transparency portal and see what they made last year and what they made YTD. Though John Carroll salary is listed at 128K, he is coded differently than the other staff and his YTD was no where near what his salary was posted as.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Same as Jimmy and his dad, 105.

Hire Preston as Asst HC, and he could take over when Cox leaves.

I don't think Preston has been a 1st assistant yet. This would be the perfect opportunity, but it might have to be Thorr's decision.

77 that's true. Would be a perfect fit. Only question would be if the admin would hire Preston due to his issue at Creighton.

I still think [no proof of course] he was acting on McDermott's orders.
Hurley named Preston Associate Head Coach between Bobby and Cox
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Gonebarongone wrote: 3 years ago I know no one wants to talk about it but the circumstances in which he left Creighton were pretty murky. And, to a lesser extent, BC as well. He hasn't been on a staff since. Not sure any AD would want to take a chance like that. Definitely not for a first time HC.
I don't see how the circumstances leaving BC were murky, he left for a promotion/more money/better opportunity. Obviously Creighton is an issue that would need to be addressed
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RAMFAN
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RAMFAN »

according to the posting for the position, the closing date is today. maybe we'll start hearing about some of the names soon.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RAMFAN wrote: 3 years ago according to the posting for the position, the closing date is today. maybe we'll start hearing about some of the names soon.
Expect an announcement just after May 1st.
1 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Any indications on candidates?
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Mike Rice? But Cox will never hire him since he will perceive him to be a threat to his job. I know that Rice had issues several years ago while the top guy at Rutgers and that Cox at one time worked on the staff of Rice.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

eli#10 wrote: 3 years ago Mike Rice? But Cox will never hire him since he will perceive him to be a threat to his job. I know that Rice had issues several years ago while the top guy at Rutgers and that Cox at one time worked on the staff of Rice.
Mike Rice Sr. was a lunatic, and the apples didn't fall far from the tree.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

If the posting end is today, and Cox et al are doing their job, why wouldn't someone walk through the door on Monday?
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

McRam wrote: 3 years ago If the posting end is today, and Cox et al are doing their job, why wouldn't someone walk through the door on Monday?
Interviews, decision, contract negotiations. The new hire could have to wait for his contract to expire.
There is also a start date. Sutton’s contract hasn’t expired yet.
State job will not allow URI to officially hire a coach = walk through the door” until the person in the position walks out the door.
I am not sure if Sutton’s contact goes until the end of April or May. You can go back and look at Sutton’s hiring and TJ’shiring to figure out contract dates. You can also see how long it took for them to be officially hired.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Call me a homer, but my perfect scenario would be:

Replace Sutton with Jim Christian

And don't renew both Carrolls, instead bring in either Murphy or Tyson Wheeler.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago Call me a homer, but my perfect scenario would be:

I don’t think there is enough money in assistant coaches’ pool to hire Christian and Murphy or Tyson.
Also why would Tyson leave a job to come to a lateral position when Cox could be gone after this year.
Preston’s Creighton baggage is too much right now. There is a reason he has received zero offers.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I don’t think there is enough money in assistant coaches’ pool to hire Christian and Murphy or Tyson.
Also why would Tyson leave a job to come to a lateral position when Cox could be gone after this year.
Preston’s Creighton baggage is too much right now. There is a reason he has received zero offers.
That was just my wish list , yes doubtful Tyson would be willing to come.
Maybe the year away was needed for things to blow over for PM
Besides, Creighton was never penalized and no NCAA punishment brought against Murphy.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....interesting position for us to be in with Assistant Coach opening......a “name” Coach with previous HC experience, unemployed must know the potential for DC to be a goner if no Dance.....so he takes a chance.......a relatively “no name” Coach just jumps aboard and follows the Coach will travel along the career path knowing if DC is gone, they no chance for HC and pack their bags one more time......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago

That was just my wish list , yes doubtful Tyson would be willing to come.
Maybe the year away was needed for things to blow over for PM
Besides, Creighton was never penalized and no NCAA punishment brought against Murphy.
Just to add, money should not be an issue in this instance.
Christian is still being paid off from his BC contract, so his salary here wouldn't make a difference to him.
Some of the salary shine from PM has probably been compromised, and I think we can afford Tyson if you compare the salaries of both Carrolls.
Whether or not he would have any interest is another matter.
To get a quality hire, I think URI would ante up. We aren't talking a fortune here.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

When you say URI would ante up are you saying above the current Assistants’ salary pool? If so where would that specifically come from?
Hurley had to scratch and claw for assistant raises each year.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody83 wrote: 3 years ago When you say URI would ante up are you saying above the current Assistants’ salary pool? If so where would that specifically come from?
Hurley had to scratch and claw for assistant raises each year.
As I said to get Christian and/or PM there would not be that much additional money needed if any, because of the circumstances,

If they go another route, we are still not talking that much more $ for a quality assistant at our level.

Besides look at all the additional $ they were willing to spend in order to try and keep Hurley.

If they realize the need to improve our staff in order to help us get back to the next level at a minimal additional investment, I don't think that would be an issue. IMO

If they end up having to replace Cox down the road, just how much do you think they will need to pay in order to get an upgraded head coach?
Also if you are able to somehow get that coach he will want a quality staff and we will need to increase that salary pool.
0 x