Assistant Coach Opening in Men's Basketball

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Re: Assistant Coach Opening in Men's Basketball

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

This was not Sutton's decision. He was a good representative of the university and a nice guy. But he didn't provide Cox with the veteran support that Cox needed.
4 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Rhodyram wrote: 3 years ago Other than It being a nice story, I don’t get the desire to hire someone who has played/ coached here previously. We have that in TJ. This staff needs an outsider with some fresh eyes/ideas.
Not that I'm touting him, but Petro let Skinner go 24 years ago. Wondering if he and Donna still have their house in Bonnet Shores. I know she loved it there.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Going to be interesting to see who throws their hat into the ring that’s for sure
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Rhodyram wrote: 3 years ago With that specific amount of experience in the listing, one would think they may have someone lined up. ?
Absolutely !
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Heard Tony Bergeron is the target ... must get!
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 3 years ago Heard Tony Bergeron is the target ... must get!
How incredible would that be...
0 x
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 3 years ago Heard Tony Bergeron is the target ... must get!
So confused. Do I have to change the batteries in my sarcasm detector or is this a real thing?
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago
So confused. Do I have to change the batteries in my sarcasm detector or is this a real thing?
Better change your batteries, total sarcasm.
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Iggy1979 wrote: 3 years ago This was not Sutton's decision. He was a good representative of the university and a nice guy. But he didn't provide Cox with the veteran support that Cox needed.
I don't think so. Sutton's relationship with Cox goes back several decades, they are close. Cox would of forced the Carrolls out before Sutton if a staff change was needed.
I think the way it was worded, it was definitely Sutton's choice to leave.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago
Iggy1979 wrote: 3 years ago This was not Sutton's decision. He was a good representative of the university and a nice guy. But he didn't provide Cox with the veteran support that Cox needed.
I don't think so. Sutton's relationship with Cox goes back several decades, they are close. Cox would of forced the Carrolls out before Sutton if a staff change was needed.
Given their relationship, Cox would’ve never “fired” Sutton. They likely had a discussion, and rather than putting a ding in Sutton’s resume, he offered him an out to pursue other opportunities because Cox wanted to go in a different direction. Classy move. Kevin Sutton is a great man, wish him all the best.
4 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago
Given their relationship, Cox would’ve never “fired” Sutton. They likely had a discussion, and rather than putting a ding in Sutton’s resume, he offered him an out to pursue other opportunities because Cox wanted to go in a different direction. Classy move. Kevin Sutton is a great man, wish him all the best.
We don't know for certain how it went down, curious where Sutton surfaces. Even more curious who is on our short list.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rhodyram wrote: 3 years ago Other than It being a nice story, I don’t get the desire to hire someone who has played/ coached here previously. We have that in TJ. This staff needs an outsider with some fresh eyes/ideas.
My suspicion is that it'll be someone we've never heard of or vaguely heard of, because, well, that's how these assistant coaching hires usually go. I'm with you in that with TJ on staff, we kind of have the "trust me, this place is great, I went through four years here" angle covered somewhat.
3 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago
My suspicion is that it'll be someone we've never heard of or vaguely heard of, because, well, that's how these assistant coaching hires usually go. I'm with you in that with TJ on staff, we kind of have the "trust me, this place is great, I went through four years here" angle covered somewhat.
While I agree with you the only exception I’d make is Tyson Wheeler.
3 x
Slava Ukraini!
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Rhody74 wrote: 3 years ago
While I agree with you the only exception I’d make is Tyson Wheeler.
I really like Tyson but we are looking for a #1 assistant that can make an immediate impact with coaching (or at least we should be - and Cox should be if he wants an extension). It would not surprise me if this assistant winds up being the next HC or at least in position to be the HC when Cox either fizzles out or explodes and leaves us.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago

Going into this past season Murray was considered one of the top up and coming young coaches. As a matter of fact, ESPN ranked him #10 on best college coaches under 40.

10. Luke Murray, Louisville assistant (35)
It's only a matter of time before Murray is the head coach of a high-major program after working with Sean Miller, Dan Hurley, Towson's Pat Skerry and now Chris Mack as one of the most impressive assistants on this list. He was instrumental in the assembly of Louisville's 2019 recruiting class, ranked 10th by ESPN. -- Myron Medcalf
OK. I get he is a good recruiter and would be a good assistant long term. Not sure he helps next year which is what I am most worried about. Need to get the guys who are here playing at a higher level.
Luke isn't my first choice, but he has a high basketball IQ and is very detail oriented, aside from being a top recruiter.

I feel we should should see an improvement in our player's development and team chemistry anyway.

Regardless of who they hire, I would be surprised if he makes a huge impact this season. I don't know how much input the new assistant will have or be allowed. The entire staff needs to function cohesively as a unit.
Cox is still in charge and it is his system, hopefully he figures it out and turns things around.
I agree with Jersey...

We are a mid-level A10 program, and we wouldn't want Luke Murray? I would take him in a heartbeat.
1. He knows our program and how to succeed here.
2. He's young, motivated, and one of the best recruiters in the country. Keep in mind he recruited at a high level while the NCAA investigation was still fresh on people's minds. He's going to be a head coach, and I would bet a successful one.

“Luke Murray is a superstar,” said Mack. “No detail goes unnoticed with Luke. Whether it’s working with our perimeter players, scouting, or recruiting, Luke excels. He’s one of the most organized, detailed and high-energy recruiters that I’ve ever been around. He carries the role of recruiting coordinator on the staff and allows us to leave no stone unturned when searching for the next University of Louisville great.”

I would love a savior that changes the culture and the identity of this team, but I think we need to be a little realistic on who we can actually land and the impact they will make next season..
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago

OK. I get he is a good recruiter and would be a good assistant long term. Not sure he helps next year which is what I am most worried about. Need to get the guys who are here playing at a higher level.
Luke isn't my first choice, but he has a high basketball IQ and is very detail oriented, aside from being a top recruiter.

I feel we should should see an improvement in our player's development and team chemistry anyway.

Regardless of who they hire, I would be surprised if he makes a huge impact this season. I don't know how much input the new assistant will have or be allowed. The entire staff needs to function cohesively as a unit.
Cox is still in charge and it is his system, hopefully he figures it out and turns things around.
I agree with Jersey...

We are a mid-level A10 program, and we wouldn't want Luke Murray? I would take him in a heartbeat.
2. He's young, motivated, and one of the best recruiters in the country. Keep in mind he recruited at a high level while the NCAA investigation was still fresh on people's minds. He's going to be a head coach, and I would bet a successful one.

“Luke Murray is a superstar,” said Mack. “No detail goes unnoticed with Luke. Whether it’s working with our perimeter players, scouting, or recruiting, Luke excels. He’s one of the most organized, detailed and high-energy recruiters that I’ve ever been around. He carries the role of recruiting coordinator on the staff and allows us to leave no stone unturned when searching for the next University of Louisville great.”

I would love a savior that changes the culture and the identity of this team, but I think we need to be a little realistic on who we can actually land and the impact they will make next season..
Agree with everything except the part where you said we are a mid-tier A-10 program. I'm sure I'll get shit from some of the "realists" but we are top tier.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

I agree with Jersey...

I have no problem with Murray but why would we listen to Mack after he fired him?
2 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Iggy1979 wrote: 3 years ago

I agree with Jersey...

I have no problem with Murray but why would we listen to Mack after he fired him?
Agree. No reason to go with Mack’s comments at this point.
Also, what can be taking Murray so long to land?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago

I agree with Jersey...

Agree with everything except the part where you said we are a mid-tier A-10 program. I'm sure I'll get shit from some of the "realists" but we are top tier.
You are what your record says you are. 10th place in 14 team A10
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Iggy1979 wrote: 3 years ago

I agree with Jersey...

Because they spent 6 seasons coaching together and had a lot of success? It's not as if Mack hired Murray for one year and fired him. You don't bring a guy with you to a program like Lousiville if you don't have a lot of faith in him. Obviously, after Lousiville had a bad year Mack had to make changes. It sucks since they made the tournament in year 1 and were great year 2 before everything was canceled.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Something must have happened, for Mack to fire him.

As for us being "top tier" we are fast losing that distinction.

Another year like the last one, and it's certain.
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

No one who would be interested in applying for Cox's job in the near future will be interested in this position. It will be someone of the ilk of Jim Calhoun or Tom Penders or Al Skinner or Tim Welsh who wouldn't mind a gig in RI.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Bracing myself for an underwhelming hire...
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Something must have happened, for Mack to fire him.

As for us being "top tier" we are fast losing that distinction.

Another year like the last one, and it's certain.
I think we were top tier at the end of DH helm here but now we are trending down that’s for sure
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago

I agree with Jersey...

A season doesn't make a program. Still one of the top tier programs in the A-10.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

A season doesn't make a program. Still one of the top tier programs in the A-10.
No but 3 seasons do.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Correct. At this level a coach makes a program.

Soooooo...
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Trending in the wrong direction.

Waiting for signs of improvement.

Nothing yet.

Will wait to see who the new hire is, before commenting on it.

If Sutton left on his own, then it's Cox's call.

If it was Thorr's, different story.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

........our top tier status left the room when the moving trucks showed up at DH’s house......
3 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

All, I was told by a reliable source a while back that all assistants are on one-year contracts, so technically the state *has* to post the position since it's not a multi-year contract like DC has.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Taylor Swift wrote: 3 years ago All, I was told by a reliable source a while back that all assistants are on one-year contracts, so technically the state *has* to post the position since it's not a multi-year contract like DC has.
They're one year with an option to renew. If they're not being renewed, then I believe they have to be posted - like Sutton's job is, since Cox either fired him, or he decided to leave. Like, I don't think TJ will have his job posted up for other people to apply for, because his contract was renewed (as far as we all know).
0 x
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

Correct 105 our top tier status left with Dan. He did so much heavy lifting to elevate the program on and off the court. He upgraded the program in every facet. Dave has one year to repair the hole because we are taking in a lot of water. This assistant position is important like every decision when you run a division one program. Our current staff does not represent a top tier program.

1) Get the right Head Coach(In my opinion Coach Cox has one year to prove its him).
2) Build a quality staff that has multiple skills and clear roles. This staff should check all boxes you need to win and win big.
3) Formulate and Implement a Culture and Team Identity/philosophy.
4) Recruit to this Identity and philosophy. Bring in Student Athletes that can fill needed roles within this system. The puzzle pieces need to fit together.
5) Coach/Staff have to develop the blueprint of their system and be able to teach and adjust the system to the individual and collective strengths of team.
6) Game Coach. Win Games. This is the hardest part. Teaching kids to win and develop a winning culture.
7) Put Banners in the rafters and Trophies in the cases.
8) Steal the State. Grow the fanbase, Grow the boosters and build the brand.
6 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 3 years ago
Not that I'm touting him, but Petro let Skinner go 24 years ago. Wondering if he and Donna still have their house in Bonnet Shores. I know she loved it there.
Who wouldn't love a house in Bonnet? (Unless you're in a URI Red Cup neighborhood. 🥴)
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Taylor Swift wrote: 3 years ago All, I was told by a reliable source a while back that all assistants are on one-year contracts, so technically the state *has* to post the position since it's not a multi-year contract like DC has.
They're one year with an option to renew. If they're not being renewed, then I believe they have to be posted - like Sutton's job is, since Cox either fired him, or he decided to leave. Like, I don't think TJ will have his job posted up for other people to apply for, because his contract was renewed (as far as we all know).

Yea, every assistant position obviously isn’t posted each off-season.

They’re only posted if an assistant leaves or get fired.
0 x
Go Rhody
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

https://hoopdirt.com/daily-dirt-4-16-21/

Kevin Sutton is out as an assistant at URI. The veteran assistant had been on the Rams staff for the past three seasons, and has also had stops at Pitt, Georgetown, George Washington, James Madison and Old Dominion. The most interesting name that I’ve heard as a possible replacement here is former Boston College head coach Jim Christian (he played for Tom Penders at URI in the late 1980’s).
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I would like that hire....and maybe to get him, the assistant salary pool is increased substantially, or at least the top assistant's is.
1 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago I would like that hire....and maybe to get him, the assistant salary pool is increased substantially, or at least the top assistant's is.
Or it's a Tom Moore situation and they get him for cheap because BC is paying the difference to get to the buy-out amount?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Bos8 wrote: 3 years ago https://hoopdirt.com/daily-dirt-4-16-21/

Kevin Sutton is out as an assistant at URI. The veteran assistant had been on the Rams staff for the past three seasons, and has also had stops at Pitt, Georgetown, George Washington, James Madison and Old Dominion. The most interesting name that I’ve heard as a possible replacement here is former Boston College head coach Jim Christian (he played for Tom Penders at URI in the late 1980’s).
Yes Christian does make sense as previously mentioned.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Jim Christian is a Bethpage-Long Island native that played for Ralph Willard in high school. He first played college ball at BU before later transferring to URI. He was on the 1988 Sweet-16 team coached by Tom Penders. Was a college assistant coach on the staffs of Ralph Willard, Herb Sendek, and Stan Heath. Has been head coach at Kent State, TCU, Ohio, and Boston College. Has a career record of 320–286 (.528).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Christian
Last edited by RF1 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Considering the circumstances, Christian would be a solid hire.
2 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

STC wrote: 3 years ago Considering the circumstances, Christian would be a solid hire.
I think under any circumstance he is good hire as an assistant at URI. He didn't work out as head coach at BC, but he had a lot of success in the MAC at Ohio and Kent State. I think from what I know about him he is a good coach, he has a lot of D-1 coaching experience. He is my number 1 choice for fixing the team for next year (which I think should be the goal because we do have a talented enough roster to compete in the A10).
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I would love the hire of Jimmy Christian has tons of experience and is an alum
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

STC wrote: 3 years ago Considering the circumstances, Christian would be a solid hire.
Would be a great hire. Can develop guards really well and has a great concept of the offense that is played today. He can really coach and had just about everything go wrong at BC. Considering what this current staff does on the offensive end now, this is a multiple win upgrade. Exactly what URI needs.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

We may have some tough competition for the position.

0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Cox to UConn. Dan had said if we didn't hire him as HC, he would have hired him as his top assistant.

JC to URI as HC.

Perfect!

Why not lol?
1 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

I want Preston and his son in a package deal. Preston is an excellent recruiter and has so much experience. He’s worked under a lot of elite coaches. I like that he was an alum. My number one choice by far. His son is going to be a stud point guard as well and is currently available as he recently decommitted from DePaul.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Tom98 wrote: 3 years ago I want Preston and his son in a package deal. Preston is an excellent recruiter and has so much experience. He’s worked under a lot of elite coaches. I like that he was an alum. My number one choice by far. His son is going to be a stud point guard as well and is currently available as he recently decommitted from DePaul.
Packaged deal would be a bonus, but would would take PM regardless.
3 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Will Dan call TJ?
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Preston would be a fantastic get. He's my top choice.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Iggy1979 wrote: 3 years ago Will Dan call TJ?
good question
0 x