The Transfer Carousel - 2021-22

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: The Transfer Carousel -2021

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago Dayton has the best pickup of anyone this offseason.

Kid from Georgia has all league potential going strictly off the numbers.
Exactly, he played well against tough P5 competition, can probably be an all conference player at Dayton.

From Zagsblog back in September 2018. Camara narrowed his choices to a Final 7, then a Final 3. UMASS and GW were among his Final 7 choices. So Camara is no stranger to Dayton and the Coaching Staff.

**Toumani Camara, the 6-foot-6 small forward from Chaminade-Madonna (FL) College Preparatory, will take his third official visit to Georgia this weekend (Sept. 29). Camara has taken official visits to Kansas State (Sept. 8) and Dayton (Sept. 15). He has no other visits planned
Yes, he must of saw something really special when he visited Dayton in Sept. 2018.

Nice for the A10 to get an impactful player of this caliber from the P5 transferring down to a Mid-Major, it usually works the other way.
The upper tier of the A10 got much tougher this off-season with the transfer portal..
In addition to Dayton picking up Camara; the Bonnies added Adams, Coulibaly, and Duro, plus SLU got Williams and Nesbitt.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Makes sense, they indicated their desire to play together next season. Both put up excellent #'s last season. good get for SMU.

"The senior forward tells Pittsburgh Sports Now that he will be entering the transfer portal and will be looking for another program to play for next season. In fact, the plan is for Weathers to transfer with his brother to the same school.

“Yes sir, I plan on entering the transfer portal and playing with my brother for our last year,” Weathers tells PSN. “We’re really trying to do something special together.”

Mike Weathers is a senior guard from Texas Southern University that has also entered his name in the portal. Mike Weathers helped lead Texas Southern to the NCAA Tournament, eventually losing to Michigan. For the season, Weathers averaged 16.5 points and 5.2 rebounds per game."
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Charles Coleman former 3* center (7 footer) from ECU committed to St. Joe's'.
He had a season ending injury, originally from Boston.

0 x
NC_Ram
Steve Chubin

Unread post by NC_Ram »

I agree with DickieV. This endless transfer bullshit has destroyed MCBB. As someone who has to travel to see games (have for years), I can't justify the expense to see a bunch of players I don't know or have any association with. Please .... somebody reverse this lunacy!
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

NC_Ram wrote: 3 years ago
I agree with DickieV. This endless transfer bullshit has destroyed MCBB. As someone who has to travel to see games (have for years), I can't justify the expense to see a bunch of players I don't know or have any association with. Please .... somebody reverse this lunacy!
Well, the official vote to grant immediate eligibility to one time transfers is supposed to take place sometime this month at the next NCAA meeting.
The consensus thinks it will get passed. As I said before, I have mixed feelings about it.

Currently all grad transfers can play immediately anyway
Also players that are forced out or run-offs are generally granted waivers w/o sitting, along with those players that move close to home.
In addition , most times when there are coaching changes the players that leave are granted waivers, regardless.
This new rule if passed won't involve players that transfer multiple times.
This rule would eliminate much of the time and expense that the NCAA and the schools are burdened with during this process.
It also would help ease the scrutiny the NCAA faces in deciding which players are granted waivers and which aren't. Many times it is decided by which schools have the better attorney's.
1 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

I kind of agree with DV on this...let the rule apply to transfers who’s coaches are on the move, and special circumstances. Otherwise, sit out a year.
5 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 3 years ago I kind of agree with DV on this...let the rule apply to transfers who’s coaches are on the move, and special circumstances. Otherwise, sit out a year.
The “special circumstances” is the gray area the NCAA wants to avoid. Having to pick and choose and define what a special circumstance is will always be an arduous task that the one time transfer rule will eliminate.
2 x
Go Rhody
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

NO EXCEPTIONS! The problem with the former system was there were these "excuses" that could be used to change schools without sitting out a year. It's hypocrisy to call players "student"/athletes and allow them to change schools because the coach leaves.

I don't believe my opinion to be accepted because most colleges are whores pretending that they are not using athletics to raise money directly and indirectly. These colleges should lose their non-profit status.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

^^^might be the most concise and accurate post 72 has had in about 2 years.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

NC_Ram wrote: 3 years ago
I agree with him also. It is a terrible rule and has made the game a lot less interesting. You no longer get to watch players develop over 4 years with a team. If a guy develops at a smaller school they just leave for a bigger school. I watched less college basketball than I ever have in any year and this was my favorite sport. Pat of that is probably how awful URI was this year.
4 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Transfer-Otis really stinks for teams like Furman

0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

About 90% of Rothstein’s Twitter feed today was regarding transfers. The avalanche is just beginning.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Would be huge pick up for Bryant

0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 3 years ago Would be huge pick up for Bryant

Committed to San Diego
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

SG EDIT: Please link back to the original article, instead of doing wholesale copy-pastes like this without attribution. Thank you.

NCAA Council passes one-time transfer legislation allowing athletes immediate eligibility, per report
The long-awaited change in college sports is close to becoming official

By David Cobb
6 mins ago

"The NCAA Division I Council has voted unanimously in favor of a measure that will allow athletes in all sports to transfer once without sitting a season, and the measure is expected to receive final approval on Thursday, according to The Athletic's Nicole Auerbach.

The measure has long been expected to pass and change the landscape of collegiate athletics, and college basketball players have already flocked to the transfer portal in record numbers in anticipation of the change. As of Wednesday, there were more than 1,400 Division I men's basketball players in the transfer portal.

The rule is expected to have a major impact on college football football as well, ushering in what some have referred to as "free agency" in the sport. Though transferring is already prevalent in college football, it is expected to become even more common among athletes seeking more playing time without the hassle of missing a full season.

Athletes in most Division I sports have not been subject to the rule requiring transfers to sit a season. The rule has applied only to athletes in football, baseball, men's ice hockey and men's or women's basketball, which are the NCAA's most popular sports.

Athletes in fall/winter sports like, football and basketball, would face a May 1 deadline to enter the transfer portal, according to The Athletic. Spring athletes would have a July 1 deadline in order to gain immediate eligibility."
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago SG EDIT: Please link back to the original article, instead of doing wholesale copy-pastes like this without attribution. Thank you.

NCAA Council passes one-time transfer legislation allowing athletes immediate eligibility, per report

By David Cobb
6 mins ago

"The NCAA Division I Council has voted unanimously in favor of a measure that will allow athletes in all sports to transfer once without sitting a season, and the measure is expected to receive final approval on Thursday, according to The Athletic's Nicole Auerbach.

The measure has long been expected to pass and change the landscape of collegiate athletics, and college basketball players have already flocked to the transfer portal in record numbers in anticipation of the change. As of Wednesday, there were more than 1,400 Division I men's basketball players in the transfer portal.

The rule is expected to have a major impact on college football football as well, ushering in what some have referred to as "free agency" in the sport. Though transferring is already prevalent in college football, it is expected to become even more common among athletes seeking more playing time without the hassle of missing a full season.

Athletes in most Division I sports have not been subject to the rule requiring transfers to sit a season. The rule has applied only to athletes in football, baseball, men's ice hockey and men's or women's basketball, which are the NCAA's most popular sports.

Athletes in fall/winter sports like, football and basketball, would face a May 1 deadline to enter the transfer portal, according to The Athletic. Spring athletes would have a July 1 deadline in order to gain immediate eligibility."
Suppose I accept a transfer to URI, for example. This is my ONE transfer allowed so I don’t need to sit out a year:

If the HC gets fired or leaves for another job, at what point can I back out of this commitment? When I announce I’m going to URI? When I sign some paperwork?
When the next semester starts?

If the HC brings in 4 more transfers and it looks like I’ve moved down the bench 4 players, can I change my mind, pick another school and keep my free transfer year?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago SG EDIT: Please link back to the original article, instead of doing wholesale copy-pastes like this without attribution. Thank you.

By David Cobb
6 mins ago

Suppose I accept a transfer to URI, for example. This is my ONE transfer allowed so I don’t need to sit out a year:

If the HC gets fired or leaves for another job, at what point can I back out of this commitment? When I announce I’m going to URI? When I sign some paperwork?
When the next semester starts?

If the HC brings in 4 more transfers and it looks like I’ve moved down the bench 4 players, can I change my mind, pick another school and keep my free transfer year?
I think it would not count against you if you back out because the coach leaves or if you had a change of heart. You should still be allowed immediate eligibility where-ever you decide to go. May 1st would be the deadline to enter the portal for the no-sit rule, but not sure if that is also the date to decide if you want to return for your additional year of eligibility .
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Really didn’t think this kid was that great. He was an average A10 player at best. Looked awful bad the Rams. God bless I guess
0 x
GO RAMS
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago
Nice pick up for Shaka and Marquette, several majors were pursuing him.
I believe this is his first commitment from the transfer portal since taking over.
Several HS recruits switched from Texas to Marquette including: Keeyan Itejere, David Joplin, and Emarion Ellis.
Last edited by Jersey77 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago Really didn’t think this kid was that great. He was an average A10 player at best. Looked awful bad the Rams. God bless I guess
He will be fine I think in the BE. Bigger question is if he fits into the defensive system. We shall see.
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago Really didn’t think this kid was that great. He was an average A10 player at best. Looked awful bad the Rams. God bless I guess
I guess average players win A10 ROY awards??? I'm not saying he's a superstar, but he's better then average

Since he's a local kid I'll follow and support him, wich him the best for Shaka in the NBE
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Thats fair, forgot about that. I only watched him vs rhody and wasn't overlay impressed, but I'll root for a local kid.
0 x
GO RAMS
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Soriano not going far
0 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago Soriano not going far
These guys can make their own decisions and they they do, I have a hard time seeing this fit. Soriano is a big, strong guy that is not very athletic and limited to playing close to the basket. An old school center. St. Johns runs and guns, and plays small and fast. I think it is a terrible fit style wise for both of them. I hope it works out.

I see the same thing for Kolek. Not sure he is a good fit in a Shaka Smart system. Yes he can shoot it, but can he play in a full court system? I know he has toned it down a little bit, but that is still his preferred style. Another curious choice in my mind. And Milwaukee Wisconsin for a kid that grew up in Rhode Island. So much for the Athletic thinking he was heading back home to New England.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

VCU adds depth to an already strong front court which includes: Williams, Watkins, Ward, and Levi
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Not that this isn't any great surprise

0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Vitale is fine when he's covering a game, and breathlessly excited about everything happening. In any other context, he's a shill.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago Not that this isn't any great surprise

Not a surprise.

But a reality that when you allow players to change schools with no penalty then of course there will be far more transfers. The NCAA was getting sued big time for not allowing players in specific sports to have to sit out a year, while in other NCAA Sports they could transfer and be eligible immediately.

Next will be the limit of only 1 transfer allowed with no penalty.

Other sports do not have the 1 transfer limit. So why should Basketball and Football have only 1 transfer without penalty allowed? Give it time and the 1 time limit will also be challenged in court.

All College Sports should have the same transfer rules. It's going to hurt the game, as it already its with College Basketball, but legal issues are presiding.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Not a surprise.

But a reality that when you allow players to change schools with no penalty then of course there will be far more transfers. The NCAA was getting sued big time for not allowing players in specific sports to have to sit out a year, while in other NCAA Sports they could transfer and be eligible immediately.

Other sports do not have the 1 transfer limit. So why should Basketball and Football have only 1 transfer without penalty allowed? Give it time and the 1 time limit will also be challenged in court.

All College Sports should have the same transfer rules. It's going to hurt the game, as it already its with College Basketball, but legal issues are presiding.
Ramster, I do agree with you on the transfer rule, but as Dickie V stated I think it is a problem when schools deliberately tamper with players still under scholarship prior to them being in the portal.
I am not sure how you can control that or penalize those schools.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Not a surprise.

Ramster, I do agree with you on the transfer rule, but as Dickie V stated I think it is a problem when schools deliberately tamper with players still under scholarship prior to them being in the portal.
You can't control it
and if you are going to let players go play wherever and whenever they want then why can't they talk to one another?

Calhoun talked to Hurley well before most anyone of us knew it

Players, assistant coaches, head coaches - they are all going to talk to one another - no way anyone can stop that
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Not a surprise.

You can't control it
and if you are going to let players go play wherever and whenever they want then why can't they talk to one another?

Calhoun talked to Hurley well before most anyone of us knew it

Players, assistant coaches, head coaches - they are all going to talk to one another - no way anyone can stop that
Yeah you are correct, just a sign of the times.
I guess it could work for your program or against it, depending on which side of the fence your on.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Huge addition for National Champs Baylor.

0 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

What is going on at Duquesne? I thought this guy looked a very promising young player. Curious where he ends up but a big loss for them. Keith Dambrot is a solid coach but he has had massive turnover in the last year or so. I guess that is just what it is now.
0 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago Huge addition for National Champs Baylor.

Third school in three years, ouch. Just hired guns it looks like. I know the coach was fired, I get it. From the Mid Atlantic to the west and now to the plains of Texas. He is seeing a lot of the country in the process as well.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

DeGray is a really good player. Some team is going to get a steal with him.

Josh Nickleberry signed with LaSalle - former 4 star SG.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Wouldn't be surprised if he lands in the A10. Rutgers and Seton Hall may also have some interest.
In addition to leading the nation in blocks, he averaged about 14 pts/ 6.5 boards.

0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jay Heath , BC transfer who we discussed earlier in this thread and a former URI recruit, just committed to Arizona State.
He was their leading scorer the last two seasons, big pick-up for Bobby Hurley.

https://www.si.com/college/bostoncolleg ... sun-devils
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago Jay Heath , BC transfer who we discussed earlier in this thread and a former URI recruit, just committed to Arizona State.

He committed a couple weeks back
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago Jay Heath , BC transfer who we discussed earlier in this thread and a former URI recruit, just committed to Arizona State.

He committed a couple weeks back
My bad, just showed up on recent updates verbal commits, a little late to the party.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Big loss for St. Joe's
Sad to see one of the top freshman in the A10 leave.

0 x