New URI president.

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

New URI president.

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Wondering what his views are on athletics and how it will affect the basketball program. Here's the e-mail I got.

It sure looks like the University of Rhode Island has found its new president.

The university’s Board of Trustees has scheduled a special meeting for 6 p.m., where it is expected to appoint a new president and begin negotiating a contract with that person.

All signs suggest that Marc Parlange, a Providence-born provost at Monash University in Melbourne, Australia, will be picked by the board. He was one of the two finalists, and the other frontrunner, Brian Blake from George Washington University, has withdrawn from the search, according to The GW Hatchet.

Parlange would succeed David Dooley, who has been president of URI since 2009.

Leading Rhode Island’s flagship public university is one of the most high-profile jobs in the state. Dooley is the second-highest paid state employee – he made $403,000 in 2020 – behind only URI basketball coach David Cox.

Parlange has been the provost at Monash University since 2017, and previously worked at the the University of British Columbia, the École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne in Switzerland, and Johns Hopkins University. According to his resume, he earned his undergraduate degree from Griffith University and a master’s and a doctorate degree from Cornell University.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Re: New URI president.

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago Wondering what his views are on athletics and how it will affect the basketball program. Here's the e-mail I got.

It sure looks like the University of Rhode Island has found its new president.

The university’s Board of Trustees has scheduled a special meeting for 6 p.m., where it is expected to appoint a new president and begin negotiating a contract with that person.

All signs suggest that Marc Parlange, a Providence-born provost at Monash University in Melbourne, Australia, will be picked by the board. He was one of the two finalists, and the other frontrunner, Brian Blake from George Washington University, has withdrawn from the search, according to The GW Hatchet.

Parlange would succeed David Dooley, who has been president of URI since 2009.

Leading Rhode Island’s flagship public university is one of the most high-profile jobs in the state. Dooley is the second-highest paid state employee – he made $403,000 in 2020 – behind only URI basketball coach David Cox.

Parlange has been the provost at Monash University since 2017, and previously worked at the the University of British Columbia, the École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne in Switzerland, and Johns Hopkins University. According to his resume, he earned his undergraduate degree from Griffith University and a master’s and a doctorate degree from Cornell University.
If you actually got an email forwarded to you by a third party, fine, but otherwise you should give credit to The Boston Globe's Rhode Map, especially since it's a straight copy-paste from it.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

He is an avid runner. He met his wife through the Cornell Univ running club.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

There has been an active thread on this created by RR2 in Down the Line

Some good information has been posted by RR2 and others over the past couple of weeks

http://keaneyblue.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=8841
0 x
raminwarwick
Abdul Fox

Unread post by raminwarwick »

Maybe the top people in the athletic dept. will finally get what they deserve- A TRACK- to practice at.
Our top coach-John Copeland -men's track- check his conference championships
Our best athlete - Lotte Black -2 time All American and hopefully more to come.

Our new President is a runner. Maybe he will want some place on campus to do speed workouts
1 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

0 x
Ramtastico
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Ramtastico »

BREAKING NEWS: We have just announced Australian Rules Football and cricket are to be fully funded sports, replacing football. We will play as an independent, copying the Notre Dame football model.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Sounds like a sports guy. Hoping for the best!
0 x
GO RAMS
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Ramtastico wrote: 3 years ago BREAKING NEWS: We have just announced Australian Rules Football and cricket are to be fully funded sports, replacing football. We will play as an independent, copying the Notre Dame football model.
Australian rules was entertaining as hell on ESPN 2 late nights back in the early days before they licensed mainstream sports. Even the refs were funny to watch:
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

raminwarwick wrote: 3 years ago Maybe the top people in the athletic dept. will finally get what they deserve- A TRACK- to practice at.
Our top coach-John Copeland -men's track- check his conference championships
Our best athlete - Lotte Black -2 time All American and hopefully more to come.

Our new President is a runner. Maybe he will want some place on campus to do speed workouts
It is really amazing when you think about it that probably every city and town in RI has a track for their high school and our outdoor track has been condemned for over 20 years now. Yeah, we've got the indoor track in Mackal, but it's just amazing not to have an outdoor one as well all things considered
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I used to run in the Bubble!
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Ramulous wrote: 3 years ago I used to run in the Bubble!
I remember once when the Bubble got knocked down by a storm. Memory serves me that it went down more than once?
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Zarch himself would unlock the door to the Bubble so I could run. It did have a couple of blowouts.
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I used to run from my dorm to the Pub.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Ramulous wrote: 3 years ago Zarch himself would unlock the door to the Bubble so I could run. It did have a couple of blowouts.
It was an elevated wood running track if I remember right. And the boards used to get worn out and have to be replaced - right?
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

rhodyruckus wrote: 3 years ago
Ramtastico wrote: 3 years ago BREAKING NEWS: We have just announced Australian Rules Football and cricket are to be fully funded sports, replacing football. We will play as an independent, copying the Notre Dame football model.
Australian rules was entertaining as hell on ESPN 2 late nights back in the early days before they licensed mainstream sports. Even the refs were funny to watch:

ECR is a huge Aussie football fan.. I have the AFL app and subscribe to the season and we named our golden doodle KANGAROO aka KANGA

the sport rocks !
0 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

I can honestly say I have absolutely no recollection of an outdoor track anywhere on the URI campus.

I also would have never looked to use it, unless it was part of a drinking game during greek week or something, and even then I probably wouldn't have a recollection of it...
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 3 years ago I can honestly say I have absolutely no recollection of an outdoor track anywhere on the URI campus.

I also would have never looked to use it, unless it was part of a drinking game during greek week or something, and even then I probably wouldn't have a recollection of it...
I only saw it from google maps. It’s hidden behind the soccer field/football practice field with tall shrubs. It’s atrocious. URI needs an overhaul of its outdoor athletic facilities as a whole. Not just one field here and one field there.
0 x
GO RAMS
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

From everything I could read about the new URI president, Marc Parlange, it seems this is a super hire for us. Parlange's father got his doctoral degree at Brown, the year that Marc was born in Providence. His father's career took his family to many different places around the globe which explains his undergraduate degree from Griffith University in Brisbane, Australia. His father is retired as professor emeritus at Cornell which led to Parlange getting his PhD there. Parlange runs 10 miles a day when he can. All indications are that Marc Parlange is a Renaissance kind of guy and let's all hope this impacts positively on all disciplines and aspects of URI. Welcome to Kingston, Marc Parlange!
10 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

His track record (no pun intended) of reaching out go underrepresented groups and partnerships with leading companies seem particularly noteworthy. He looks young for his age too.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Maine66
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Maine66 »

Just picked up this thread. In the years I was there from 1962-1966 and on the X country and track teams there was a board track beside Rodman Hall and an elongated red Quonset hut behind that. The vaulters, high jumpers, throwers and hurdlers trained in the hut. Us runners would warm up in our sweats and then shed them for speed work on the track. When it was icy there were a couple times where we slid off into a snow bank. In spite of that we sent relay teams to the big indoor games in the Boston Garden and old Madison Square Garden before 13 to 17,000 spectators. Even with those facilities we won the Yankee Confrence Indoor title in 1965 and were runner up in 1966.
2 x