Ishmael El-Amin (URI Grad Commit)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: Ishmael El-Amin (URI Post-Grad Commit)

Unread post by rambone 78 »

This is a good add to the team.

If no one leaves I guess they are set for next season.

I will keep an open mind about their prospects, or try to anyway.

All we can do is wait and see what happens.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago
reef wrote: 3 years ago I like it and seems like a good fit . We thinking the 2 Ishs Shep Twan and Mitchell start with Mitchell 2 and Martin as the 6th and 7th man ??
Yeah you have to assume he will get the start.

Both Ish's, Shep, Walker and then either Mitchell.

The Twins and Walker are such a HUGE advantage for us against the A-10.

As tough as it is to stomach the prospect of Cox ultimately failing for good next year, it would make it way worse to also realize that he would have also squandered maybe the most talented frontcourt we have ever had!
Cyril Langevine and Hassan Martin were quite formidable just in recent memory

Best bet for a strong front court would be Mahkel, Makhi and Antwan but not sure if Cox will go with that. Another option would be All 3 share the 2 positions to get 40 minutes per game from all 3 (27 minutes per game average for each). This gives good quality to those 2 positions for all 40 minutes, covers for foul trouble.

In the Conference with Top 25 Position in Rebounding:
  • St Louis: Goodwin (1) and French (7)
  • Dayton: Tshimanga (5) and Amzil (20)
  • Richmond: Golden (13th) and Burton (5th)
  • St Bonaventure: Osunniyi (2) paired with either Welch (14) or Holmes (22)
  • URI: Walker (10) and Makhel Mitchell (21)
2020-21 Stats

Walker
22 mpg
59% FG
26% 3P
70% FT
9.1 ppg
6.5 rpg
42 blocks

Makhel Mitchell
22 mpg
52% FG
47% FT
9.6 ppg
5.6 rpg
18 blocks
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Seems to be more of a get than I initially thought. Hopefully the team is more disciplined and cohesive this year and he can just focus on himself. It’s hard to play when you have guys missing 4/5 shots from 30 feet.

A little early success and a crowd could help. I love Legget. Believe in him and some others to make the team better.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......ahoy, welcome aboard 2Ish.....looking forward to see you in Kearney Blue.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

In this age of massive transfers in and out and now "re-recruiting" it's interesting to look at the Message Board of the Player obtained, especially if a multi year player with D1 statistics

One "Diehard Rhody Fan" asked for a scouting report

https://overthepylon.boards.net/thread/ ... out?page=4

https://overthepylon.boards.net/thread/ ... n-ish-amin
Last edited by ramster 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I asked the Ball State message board how they felt about Ish, and the responses were not great.

"Geez, where do I begin. Distracted, poor ball handler, poor defender, not extremely athletic, streaky shooter. He did improve his ability to be a more consistent scorer this year, but he will give up more points on the defensive end than he will score. Our board has rose-colored glasses when it comes to Ish, so you're not going to get a lot of posts like mine. However, if you are basketball-savvy and pay attention to the details and nuances of the game, you will see things other than his PPG average. One thing I will say - it will be interesting to see what Ish and Coleman do if they get in programs/ with coaches that/ who have discipline. Our coach is sloppy, disengaged, and provides/ expects no discipline."

"Another thing about our offense - it is pretty much a throw it around the perimeter and chuck a three "game plan". Ish isn't much of an off-the-dribble creator. And he likes to shoot - a lot. He'll make 2 or 3 threes in a row and then throw up a brick or an airball. He might fill a need for you off the bench or even as a starting 2-guard, but I'd temper your expectations. To me the kid does not have a winner mentality, but let's be honest, he's moving from a team with a losing record to another team with a losing record."

'I think he has some talent but it always felt like he didn’t fully actualize it. And, we didn’t have the best overall results during his time. He’s a nice player but not great. Maybe in a better program with a better coach who provides direction he’ll flourish.'

'I don't think he is a good enough athlete to be an impactful player in the A-10. There isn't a single area where he really excels.'

"I think all of these assessments are pretty harsh, if you ask me. I'm not a fan of his attitude or politics, but as a player he's a 2nd team All Conf. guy in a league filled with really good guards. He is a good driver, especially on the baseline, better three point shooter than his stats show, 90% free throw, led team in steals and had more assists that turnovers and pretty clutch in my opinion. And, he has improved significantly since his freshman year. He can and needs to be more focused on the defensive end which could improve under a more demanding coach."
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago I asked the Ball State message board how they felt about Ish, and the responses were not great.

"Geez, where do I begin. Distracted, poor ball handler, poor defender, not extremely athletic, streaky shooter. He did improve his ability to be a more consistent scorer this year, but he will give up more points on the defensive end than he will score. Our board has rose-colored glasses when it comes to Ish, so you're not going to get a lot of posts like mine. However, if you are basketball-savvy and pay attention to the details and nuances of the game, you will see things other than his PPG average. One thing I will say - it will be interesting to see what Ish and Coleman do if they get in programs/ with coaches that/ who have discipline. Our coach is sloppy, disengaged, and provides/ expects no discipline."

"Another thing about our offense - it is pretty much a throw it around the perimeter and chuck a three "game plan". Ish isn't much of an off-the-dribble creator. And he likes to shoot - a lot. He'll make 2 or 3 threes in a row and then throw up a brick or an airball. He might fill a need for you off the bench or even as a starting 2-guard, but I'd temper your expectations. To me the kid does not have a winner mentality, but let's be honest, he's moving from a team with a losing record to another team with a losing record."

'I think he has some talent but it always felt like he didn’t fully actualize it. And, we didn’t have the best overall results during his time. He’s a nice player but not great. Maybe in a better program with a better coach who provides direction he’ll flourish.'

'I don't think he is a good enough athlete to be an impactful player in the A-10. There isn't a single area where he really excels.'

"I think all of these assessments are pretty harsh, if you ask me. I'm not a fan of his attitude or politics, but as a player he's a 2nd team All Conf. guy in a league filled with really good guards. He is a good driver, especially on the baseline, better three point shooter than his stats show, 90% free throw, led team in steals and had more assists that turnovers and pretty clutch in my opinion. And, he has improved significantly since his freshman year. He can and needs to be more focused on the defensive end which could improve under a more demanding coach."
How can a 4 year player be "a better 3P shooter than his stats show". Asking for a friend.

In reading the other thread on their board, it seems most all believed he was leaving because his 4 year career was completed. Was not a surprise.
Last edited by ramster 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago I asked the Ball State message board how they felt about Ish, and the responses were not great.

I mean, their posts are more than likely sour grapes.

Look how most people here acted when Jacob, Tyrese, and Fatts left us.

All shit on them (myself included with Tyrese) as they decided to leave.
1 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago

If you read the 4 page, 48 post thread on El-Amin leaving, most all knew he was leaving and most wish him best of luck.

https://overthepylon.boards.net/thread/ ... out?page=4
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago

Agreed. If someone went on our board, they would think Fatts is awful. I'm sure our new Ish will be a solid player for us..
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago He won't be our savior, but I think it's fair to expect him to at least be our third best guard on the team.

Props to Cox for getting him. Looked to be the best player we could get at this point.

If he is the best we could get at this time, when we have guaranteed playing time, are we really sure this is not really another indictment of Cox?
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

ace wrote: 3 years ago When a Rhody player transfers: transfers will destroy college basketball!!

Rhody signs a transfer: well this is fine

:)
Do u really like this transfer chaos?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

McRam wrote: 3 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago He won't be our savior, but I think it's fair to expect him to at least be our third best guard on the team.

Props to Cox for getting him. Looked to be the best player we could get at this point.

If he is the best we could get at this time, when we have guaranteed playing time, are we really sure this is not really another indictment of Cox?
Not at all, I think Ish2 was a descent pickup with all things considered.
I really like the signing of Samb in the early period.
As I said before, recruiting is something I don't find fault for with Cox.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Out of the list of guys that we were after yes it was probably the best we could get.

Surprised it wasn't Parham though. I think he would've fit best. Not sure why we didnt beat out South Alabama for him. I liked his size and shooting.

El Amin should be fine with us. He won't be "the guy" here which should take pressure off of him.

My thinking is, our frontcourt should take a lot of pressure off our guards, Ish and Shep are very good and he doesn't even have to be that great for us, just solid for our team to have what it needs to win games.

On paper of course, we look capable. Jury out on the staff.
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Nice Cox! Now no rest get the next one!!! Let’s turn this ship around!!!

GO RHODY!
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Out of the list of guys that we were after yes it was probably the best we could get.

Surprised it wasn't Parham though. I think he would've fit best. Not sure why we didnt beat out South Alabama for him. I liked his size and shooting.

El Amin should be fine with us. He won't be "the guy" here which should take pressure off of him.

My thinking is, our frontcourt should take a lot of pressure off our guards, Ish and Shep are very good and he doesn't even have to be that great for us, just solid for our team to have what it needs to win games.

Not sure how seriously we were even involved with Parham, not listed among his finalists.

He claimed he chose South Alabama because of the relationship he built with the staff over a short period of time.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago

Not sure how seriously we were even involved with Parham, not listed among his finalists.

He claimed he chose South Alabama because of the relationship he built with the staff over a short period of time.
Yeah besides him sharing a picture of himself with Shep in a Rhody uniform and the Providence journal saying we had contacted him there wasn't anything else said about our relationship with him.
0 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

I'm happy to have El-Amin as a Rhody Ram. I don't care what the Ball State message boards say. Let's judge for ourselves next season.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I’m not sure a 1 year shooting guard was what we are missing.

You have Ish and Sheppard coming back. You have another shooting/scoring guard in Tres on the bench. Why did we recruit him if you weren’t going to use him or let him develop?

This team desperately needs a true PG who can distribute and get the offense to move, or a 3 who can handle the ball and shoot.

I mean, yes, we all want him to be great, but based on what we saw last year I’m very much in a “prove it” mood.

This kid seems like a better shooting Fatts with a 1:1 A/TO from a lower conference. Certainly wasn’t in my top 3 of needs for 21-22, more of a “nice to have” but it just adds another similar type guy to a crowded bench without standouts who could impact the game.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Another thing to think of is we are now locked into El Amin as there are going to be countless others who still enter the portal so could be better players that still come available that we may not pursue double edge sword I guess
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 3 years ago I'm happy to have El-Amin as a Rhody Ram. I don't care what the Ball State message boards say. Let's judge for ourselves next season.
I heard last year how great all these incoming players were. Some thought we would be top 3 in the conference, saying the Coaches prediction of 6th was too low.

Not buying the media hype and hype from others. Looking at how Abou Ousmane did at North Texas, playing few minutes, I’d take the Missouri show me view,of Tres, his teammate, as for all new recruits.

Fool me once shame on me........

So what I can learn from the Ball State Board I’ll weigh, better than the media hype.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago I’m not sure a 1 year shooting guard was what we are missing.

You have Ish and Sheppard coming back. You have another shooting/scoring guard in Tres on the bench. Why did we recruit him if you weren’t going to use him or let him develop?

This team desperately needs a true PG who can distribute and get the offense to move, or a 3 who can handle the ball and shoot.

I mean, yes, we all want him to be great, but based on what we saw last year I’m very much in a “prove it” mood.

This kid seems like a better shooting Fatts with a 1:1 A/TO from a lower conference. Certainly wasn’t in my top 3 of needs for 21-22, more of a “nice to have” but it just adds another similar type guy to a crowded bench without standouts who could impact the game.

Not sure whose minutes he will take. I hope he takes no minutes from Sheppard or Leggett.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 3 years ago Another thing to think of is we are now locked into El Amin as there are going to be countless others who still enter the portal so could be better players that still come available that we may not pursue double edge sword I guess
Always a chance you take. If we would wait, many players would be gone and lost opportunities.

The staff felt he was our best shot, so they took it. Can't blame them for that.

Let's see how it all plays out.
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Interview w Ish from prior to his commitment:

https://amp.kstp.com/articles/ish-el-am ... 60176.html
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago I’m not sure a 1 year shooting guard was what we are missing.

Not sure whose minutes he will take. I hope he takes no minutes from Sheppard or Leggett.
If he is taking the minutes, I do not care who he is taking them from. If the staff is just giving a player minutes. regardless of performance, that can be a problem. I hope Coach Cox gives all the players an opportunity to take or earn some minutes this upcoming season. I'm a little tired of him giving a considerable amount of playing time to guys who aren't performing.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

DeanDome88 wrote: 3 years ago

If he is taking the minutes, I do not care who he is taking them from. If the staff is just giving a player minutes. regardless of performance, that can be a problem. I hope Coach Cox gives all the players an opportunity to take or earn some minutes this upcoming season. I'm a little tired of him giving a considerable amount of playing time to guys who aren't performing.
Therein lies the problem. Why was Russell playing 35 to 40 minutes per game when he was injured? Why was he in the game still shooting when we were either way ahead or way behind and the game basically over?
Why was Carey playing 25 minutes per game even after losing his starting spot to Martin after 2 games?
Why did it take so long for Leggett to get more minutes and finally get a starting role?
Carey starts
Martin starts
Betrand starts
Leggett finally starts

We went through 4 players so finally settle on Leggett when it was pretty obvious to several of us here that Leggett needed more minutes? Rambone, Blue Man and myself among others were begging for Leggett to play more. Finally it happened.

I'm from the Missouri "Show Me" State now when it comes to incoming Freshmen, incoming Transfers, Who Starts, Show gets how many minutes...........Not buying the Coach knows best so much after last seasons 7-10 Conference Record and A10 Conference Tournament 1 and done.
2 x
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

reef wrote: 3 years ago Another thing to think of is we are now locked into El Amin as there are going to be countless others who still enter the portal so could be better players that still come available that we may not pursue double edge sword I guess
If landing good players is incumbent on promising them playing time, as some of us suspect Cox has done, maybe it's not the worst thing to miss out on some.
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I hope Legget is the guy that runs the team and makes a huge jump this year. He could really propel this team if he makes that jump and becomes the steadying winning hand in all of this. Will be fun to see if Berry can contribute.

I agree that there doesn’t seem to be much distinction between the guards right now. Maybe Carey can be better???
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 3 years ago

I hope Legget is the guy that runs the team and makes a huge jump this year. He could really propel this team if he makes that jump and becomes the steadying winning hand in all of this. Will be fun to see if Berry can contribute.

I agree that there doesn’t seem to be much distinction between the guards right now. Maybe Carey can be better???
I love Ish, but I don't see him as our main facilitator. I think he's perfect as a 2guard... He seemed to be great as a spot-up shooter and taking his man one on one. He mainly uses his strength to bully his way to the hoop, draw fouls, and finish extremely well. For him to be our starting PG, his handle would need a lot of improvement, and he doesn't really have the ability to pull up yet. I'm sure Ish could do it but Idk if that's putting him in the best position to succeed. I think Shep will be our starting point next year.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Hey guys. Strange coincidence. I was contacted by a Ball State fan on Instagram, who BTW said "Y'all got a great player in Ish." He has watched him for four years. Anyway, believe it or not, he does not know about Ball State's Bulletin Board and I was wondering if you could direct me to it. He wants to join.

I am excited about Ish2. If he can match his 3 point shooting and foul shooting percentage (88%) we have a place for him this season.
1 x
Rhody Blue
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Rhody Blue »

sbrand wrote: 3 years ago Hey guys. Strange coincidence. I was contacted by a Ball State fan on Instagram, who BTW said "Y'all got a great player in Ish." He has watched him for four years. Anyway, believe it or not, he does not know about Ball State's Bulletin Board and I was wondering if you could direct me to it. He wants to join.

I am excited about Ish2. If he can match his 3 point shooting and foul shooting percentage (88%) we have a place for him this season.
here is link to the Ball State board

https://overthepylon.boards.net/
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I am amazed at the people who watched this season, saw the rankings and numbers of our recruits and then saw how they were coached, and still be optimistic.

I admire your commitment to keeping your heads above water.

I will take the different tact and say that we didn't need a 1 year player who does a bunch of things "decent" to come and take minutes away from other players who also do a bunch of things "decent."

This team never "gelled" because they never had a set PG and a set group of players who played together. We just added one more guy to a rotation that was already too deep without addressing a critical need.

Our top problems last year imo:

1) turnovers
2) offensive efficiency
3) shooting

This kid brings a really pedestrian A/TO ratio from a significantly lower level conference. He doesn't help us with problems 1 or 2.

His shooting is above average, but nothing special. 39% is not anything to write home about. Certainly a slight upgrade for us, but he's still going to be your 3rd shooting option. Not really lighting the world on fire. Really not the impact you'd hope to make with a 1 year grad transfer.

Ball State is a below average team from a very below average conference.

If Carey or Betrand came in here and looked lost, how is a kid from a low level MAC team going to adjust?

Against high level competition last year Mich and the top 2 teams from the MAC:
84-65 L vs Mich 5-17, 0-5, 10 pts, 4 TO 4 asst 32 mins
86-69 L vs BUFF 2-4, 0-1, 4 pts, 1 TO 1 asst 12 mins
78-58 L vs BUFF 7-17, 4-10, 22 pts, 0 TO, 1 asst, 38 mins
81-67 W vs TOL 3-13, 2-7, 10 pts, 2 TO, 1 asst, 34 mins
89-70 L vs TOL 9-17, 3-8, 22 pts, 2 TO, 4 asst, 37 mins
91-89 L vs TOL 5-18, 3-10, 13 pts, 2 TO, 4 asst, 41 mins

So we got a worse Fatts from a worse conference. Yippie.

Sorry to bring the rain, but based on everything going on with the state of this team right now this is probably one of the worst things we could've done.

I would've rather brought in no one and seen what Tres Berry can do. And if Berry isn't any good as a red shirt why did we recruit him in the first place?

We needed an elite shooter to pair with Shepp, or an elite true PG to run the offense. This just muddies the water and gives us more of the same.

Seriously, what's our lineup look like. Who's our 3? Martin? Where do you plug this kid in? Take minutes from Ish? Shepp?
Last edited by Blue Man 3 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 3 years ago I'm happy to have El-Amin as a Rhody Ram. I don't care what the Ball State message boards say. Let's judge for ourselves next season.
I heard last year how great all these incoming players were. Some thought we would be top 3 in the conference, saying the Coaches prediction of 6th was too low.

Not buying the media hype and hype from others. Looking at how Abou Ousmane did at North Texas, playing few minutes, I’d take the Missouri show me view,of Tres, his teammate, as for all new recruits.

Fool me once shame on me........

So what I can learn from the Ball State Board I’ll weigh, better than the media hype.
You are right. It doesn't matter either way until they step on the court here. Which is why I am also not a fan of the highlight video's for college players and especially HS recruits. They might be entertaining and give us a glimpse, but they are obviously just showing off the good plays (highlights). You are not seeing the whole story. And with HS school kids, they are frequently playing against weak competition (or completion that is well below college level). Can't get too excited or believe the hype until they do it wearing a Rhody uniform.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

The morale of our fan base is very Baronesque right now. Take notice, Mr. Bjorn.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago The morale of our fan base is very Baronesque right now. Take notice, Mr. Bjorn.
I think with the lack of an extension, Thor has made his statement.
4 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago The morale of our fan base is very Baronesque right now. Take notice, Mr. Bjorn.
I think with the lack of an extension, Thor has made his statement.
Spot on.

I also agree with Blue Man on his post.

I'll add 2 more issues to his list....bad defense, and coaching.

Of course now I'll get trashed again for repeating what many others on here repeat often.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

The biggest need for this team and program is an identity.

Are we an offensive or defensive minded team?
Are we uptempo or trying to win in the half court?
Are we physical and tough or a finesse and fundamentals team?

With Dan we were a physical and tough, defensive minded team that wanted to beat you largely in a half court game.
With Cox it has varied from game to game.

Without an identity and desired style of play it is difficult to recruit the right talent, mold their roles and deploy them effectively. It becomes a mixed bag at best or the land of misfit toys at worst. That is the biggest task in front of Cox - establish an identity for himself, the program and this team. Quickly.
3 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......this......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago The biggest need for this team and program is an identity.

Are we an offensive or defensive minded team?
Are we uptempo or trying to win in the half court?
Are we physical and tough or a finesse and fundamentals team?

With Dan we were a physical and tough, defensive minded team that wanted to beat you largely in a half court game.
With Cox it has varied from game to game.

Without an identity and desired style of play it is difficult to recruit the right talent, mold their roles and deploy them effectively. It becomes a mixed bag at best or the land of misfit toys at worst. That is the biggest task in front of Cox - establish an identity for himself, the program and this team. Quickly.
I think this is the problem exactly. Cox is preaching D, but it certainly is not the same as Hurley. He is also looking for a more open offense then what Hurley had (whichbi think is a good thing) but it is coming with more turnovers which is bad and it has not looked great. I will say in a small defense of Cox, I think we do get open looks more than we did under Hurley’s offense. However, last years team was screaming to be a run you of the gym team with the depth but when the turnovers started we slowed things down to stop that and basically stalled the offense.
2 x
kunzb7
Zach "1 and Done" Marbury

Unread post by kunzb7 »

Rhode Island received one heck of a ball player is Ishmael. I watched him play the last four years at Ball State and I can say he is legit. Great court vision and isn't afraid to attack the hole to get buckets. Can also shoot lights out when need be.
4 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

kunzb7 wrote: 3 years ago Rhode Island received one heck of a ball player is Ishmael. I watched him play the last four years at Ball State and I can say he is legit. Great court vision and isn't afraid to attack the hole to get buckets. Can also shoot lights out when need be.
Thanks for your dose of optimism on Ishmael, we saw some mixed feelings about him on your board.
1 x
rhodylocal
Jeff Kent

Unread post by rhodylocal »

kunzb7 wrote: 3 years ago Rhode Island received one heck of a ball player is Ishmael. I watched him play the last four years at Ball State and I can say he is legit. Great court vision and isn't afraid to attack the hole to get buckets. Can also shoot lights out when need be.
I'm afraid we need a lights out shooter most nights! Hope that's not asking too much of him. Glad to see he had some fans that continue to support him.
0 x
Dan Hurley 2012-2018:
Year 1: 8-21 3-13 T–14th
Year 2:14-18 5-11 10th
Year 3:23-10 13-5 T-2nd NIT 2nd RD
Year 4:17-15 9-9 7th
Year 5:25-10 13-5 T-3rd NCAA T
Year 6:26-8 15-3 1st NCAA T

Archie Miller 2022-?:
Year 1:9-22 5-13 14th
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

Perhaps this thread should be moved to the recruitment page?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

NHRamFan wrote: 3 years ago Perhaps this thread should be moved to the recruitment page?
He had already committed prior to us having a recruiting thread on him.
Now that he is already part of our roster, it seems that moving this thread to recruiting would be going backwards.
1 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Haven’t seen any announcement that El-Amin is offcially signed with Rhody
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

CamsRams wrote: 3 years ago Haven’t seen any announcement that El-Amin is offcially signed with Rhody
Retweeted by @rhodymbb - official Twitter account of URI Mens Basketball.

0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago So, with this being a 'free' year, does he have two years of eligibility left? Or only one? Could this coming season be considered his senior year and next year his post-grad year? How does that work?
Only 1 year left, already played 4, the additional year will be 21-22.

Only downside is next year we can have 7 players leaving due to graduation or out of eligibility.
Then that should leave plenty of cap space for the following year?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago So, with this being a 'free' year, does he have two years of eligibility left? Or only one? Could this coming season be considered his senior year and next year his post-grad year? How does that work?
Only 1 year left, already played 4, the additional year will be 21-22.

Only downside is next year we can have 7 players leaving due to graduation or out of eligibility.
Then that should leave plenty of cap space for the following year?

He played 4 full years at Ball State. He only gets to play an additional 5th year because of Covid. He does not need to be listed as a Grad Year because the only reason he gets a 5th year is because everyone gets an extra year.

Yes, we should have plenty of cap space next year.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Official announcement. Austin Carroll lead recruiter.

https://gorhody.com/news/2021/4/22/mens ... eason.aspx
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Nice interview yesterday on our newest Ram.
He primarily played the 1 this past season and says his best asset is his energy, maybe a little bit of Fatts in him.

1 x