Fatts (Grad Transfer to Maryland)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
FDshoes
ARD

Re: Fatts

Unread post by FDshoes »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago Starting means crap! Minutes/game as well as whose on the court at the end of close games is more important. Ish and Shepp must be prepared to make 75%+ of FTs under pressure,

Russell:
3FG: 24-102 = 23.5%
FG: 94-279 = 33.7%

Straight garbage!! Good riddance!
2 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

FDshoes wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago Starting means crap! Minutes/game as well as whose on the court at the end of close games is more important. Ish and Shepp must be prepared to make 75%+ of FTs under pressure,

Russell:
3FG: 24-102 = 23.5%
FG: 94-279 = 33.7%

Straight garbage!! Good riddance!
I mean it really is amazing to play around with how great he could have been if he just raised his 3 point shooting to 35% (which still is not good for a guy putting up 100 such shots a season but I am willing to accept that at least a few a game are desperation shots). If he got closer to 40% which I consider the baseline for a high level offensive guard we would have looked a lot better the last few years.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

A lot of people think we will be better next season without Fatts.

Addition by subtraction so to speak.

I'm not totally sure about that.

Either way, I don't think it will be a big difference.

With the same team coming back, with maybe another guard addition, we could be a little better.

Not good enough though. And with the same coach.

That's my take, and that's it.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Leggett and Sheppard are already at 75%+ on Free Throws.

I said "under pressure". Ish doesn't need any nightmares as he must have had after the UMASS loss.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago

Leggett and Sheppard are already at 75%+ on Free Throws.

I said "under pressure". Ish doesn't need any nightmares as he must have had after the UMASS loss.
Give the kid a break please. He is a freshman. Very unfair of you to put a loss on a freshman like that, especially one who it took a long time to get into the starting line up where he belonged. He finally got a start the 16th game of the season vs Fordham when Russell was hurt.

Started with Carey at guard lasted two games
Started Martin in place of Carey
Started Betrand in place of Martin
Finally Started Leggett in place of Betrand

So to blame Leggett for missed FTs in a game, a player who shot 75% Its as a Freshman is just unfair
2 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago A lot of people think we will be better next season without Fatts.

Addition by subtraction so to speak.

I'm not totally sure about that.

Either way, I don't think it will be a big difference.

With the same team coming back, with maybe another guard addition, we could be a little better.

Not good enough though. And with the same coach.

That's my take, and that's it.

I dont necessarily think we will be better next year. Do i think we can be better, absolutely!! What i really want to see is what Cox is capable of without Fatts running the Fatts show. I know alot here are very down on Cox and yes he hasnt been so great thus far but lets see what he can do with an open playbook. He now has the ability to create a system he wants to instead what made Fatts happy.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Announcing on Final 4 Day
I’m guessing Auburn with Sharife Cooper gone NBA, with Michigan close behind

0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I see Fatts as a role player on the programs showing interest. Where does that leave Fatts' basketball career? He has a better choice.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago I see Fatts as a role player on the programs showing interest. Where does that leave Fatts' basketball career? He has a better choice.
I don't see Russell going anywhere and agreeing to be a role player.

When Tyrese transferred last year some thought he would not start at UCONN - he ended up starting and being their 2nd Best player to Bouknight
When Jacob transferred last year some thought he would never play for Kentucky, and certainly not last year as the plan with Calipari and Jacob was that he would sit out and develop. Jacob ended up with Calipari submitting for a Waiver, Jacob moving to 1st man off the bench and then to a starting role at Kentucky the last 3 games.
Both players overachieved what many here thought a year ago.

Russell's Birthday is May 6, 1998 (age 22). He will be 23 in a month. He simply can't go to a program where he is a role player (which I assume you mean he will not be starting).

So many teams that Russell is considering lose players to the NBA, or lost them to Foreign Professional Leagues or players chose to transfer up/down or the Coach brizzes them (no choice). Russell is not going anywhere that he is not welcomed with open arms. He will be 23 in a month - and will be playing among 17 and 18 year old freshmen and sophomores in the P5 programs he is considering. It's his year to show what he can do at a P5 school. Best of luck to him in his career pursuits. Hope he gets his injuries healed over the off-season and lights it up next season.
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago I see Fatts as a role player on the programs showing interest. Where does that leave Fatts' basketball career? He has a better choice.
I don't see Russell going anywhere and agreeing to be a role player.

When Tyrese transferred last year some thought he would not start at UCONN - he ended up starting and being their 2nd Brest player to Bouknight
When Jacob transferred last year some thought he would never play for Kentucky, and certainly not last year as he would sit out and develop. Jacob ended up moving to 1st man off the bench and then to a starting role at Kentucky.

Russell's Birthday is May 6, 1998 (age 22). He will be 23 in a month. He simply can't go to a program where he is a role player (which I assume you mean he will not be starting).

So many teams that Russell is considering lose players to the NBA, or to Foreign Professional Leagues or players chose to transfer up/down or the Coach brizzes them. Russell is not going anywhere that he is not welcomed with open arms/. He will be 23 in a month - and will be playing among 17 and 18 year old freshmen and sophomores. It's his year to show what he can do at a P5 school. Best of luck to him in his career pursuits.
Absolutely agree. He will go where he feels (along with the staff) that he will be an immediate impact player. I am hopeful he finds a good fit and wish him the best.
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

I don’t think he will be a role player at most of those schools, but he also won’t be THE Guy. I expect he will be like the third option of a big three - which is a role he would be good in. He can’t carry a team in shot attempts unless his shooting improves significantly but I also see him being more willing to share the load with pro level players on a team he is joining, not HIS team.
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago
I don’t think he will be a role player at most of those schools, but he also won’t be THE Guy. I expect he will be like the third option of a big three - which is a role he would be good in. He can’t carry a team in shot attempts unless his shooting improves significantly but I also see him being more willing to share the load with pro level players on a team he is joining, not HIS team.
You are 100 % correct I personally think Fatts was at his best when Terrel and EC were the one and two options.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

woodennickel1 wrote: 3 years ago
rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago
You are 100 % correct I personally think Fatts was at his best when Terrel and EC were the one and two options.

Nah, the best Fatts was last year.

Absolutely electric for most of the year (yes I know his percentages weren’t great) but junior year was easily his best.
2 x
Go Rhody
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Still think Arizona State just seems like the obvious move here.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I'm hearing it could be Maryland.
  • Qudus Wahab has committed to Maryland from Georgetown - The 6-foot-11 Wahab averaged 12.7 points, 8.2 boards, 1.2 blocks per game this past year.
  • Turgeon has just signed an extension
  • Donta Scott is from Imhotep Charter
  • Close enough to home
  • Big 10
Maryland potential starting line-up:
Fatts Russell
Eric Ayala
Aaron Wiggins
Donta Scott
Qudus Wahab
Last edited by ramster 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago I'm hearing it could be Maryland.
  • Qudus Wahab has committed to Maryland from Georgetown
  • Close enough to home
  • Big 10
Fatts Russell
Eric Ayala
Aaron Wiggins
Donta Scott
Qudus Wahab
That'd be interesting for sure. I could see Maryland as being a solid fit.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Twins are probably pissed.
0 x
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago I'm hearing it could be Maryland.
  • Qudus Wahab has committed to Maryland from Georgetown - The 6-foot-11 Wahab averaged 12.7 points, 8.2 boards, 1.2 blocks per game this past year.
  • Close enough to home
  • Big 10
Fatts Russell
Eric Ayala
Aaron Wiggins
Donta Scott
Qudus Wahab

2 x
Urifan91
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Urifan91 »

Would be great if they could get Maryland to come to the Ryan Center next year and give Fatts a standing ovation in front of the fans.

Best wishes for Fatts. I hope he wins a Big 10 title.
7 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I doubt the twins care. They probably just want to come back healthy after an off season of work and expect to be very good.

For Fatts sake I hope he was hurt last year. 24 3balls is awful. Especially for a guy that gives up so much in other areas. Jimmy baron hit 8 3s in a game twice his senior year. One of those was against Duke with a full crowd.
2 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

Go get em young man! All the best and I will be rooting for your success. Can't stand Turgeon!!!!
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Maryland, it is.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Stay healthy, play smart, and tear it up, Fatts!!
6 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Good luck Fatts
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I will now watch every Maryland game next season.
5 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Wow Maryland it is. Good for him. Guess I am a Terps fan this season.
3 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

3 things:

-Interesting to see that Maryland's two leading scorers are Junior guards.

-looking forward to seeing him play next season

-good luck to Fatts...wishing him all the best!
1 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Good for him. Excited to see what he can do
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

🐢 🏋️‍♂️ 🐐 🏆
16.7 ppg
4.6 assists
3.2 rebounds
1.4 steals
43% 2
31% 3

Go get 'em Fatts!
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

LIRAM wrote: 3 years ago Go get em young man! All the best and I will be rooting for your success. Can't stand Turgeon!!!!
Yep I'm gonna struggle all next year balancing my love of Fatts with my hate of Turgeon.
7 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago I will now watch every Maryland game next season.
Same here will definitely be watching Terps
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

One thing that is definitely not going to change:

Announcer: "Did you know how he got the name Fatts?"
12 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I can’t lie.... I will miss having Fatts on our team!!
2 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Good luck Fatts. I thoroughly enjoyed watching you the past 4 years. Love you but don't like your new coach at all but now hope Maryland now
goes about 35-0 with you leading the way.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Will be interesting to see how Fatts does with a hard nosed coach like Turgeon, who is much more akin to Dan than to Dave. If he flourishes and plays with a much higher level of discipline and efficiency it will be an indictment on how he was coached here the last 3 years.

I’m rooting for Fatts to tear up the Big 10.
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Best wishes to Fatts! Fatts at his best will be valuable addition to most teams. He was the best closer I've seen watching Rhody basketball for 6 decades. As he played at URI I don't see him starting at Maryland because of his offensive inefficientcy, but he will be a valuable asset coming off the bench. If he morphs into a pass first point guard, he may move up.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Re: Fatts (Grad Transfer to Maryland)

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

It'll be soooo weird to see him play for Maryland.
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Best of luck to him! Hope he does well, except if he plays URI....haha!
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago Best wishes to Fatts! Fatts at his best will be valuable addition to most teams. He was the best closer I've seen watching Rhody basketball for 6 decades. As he played at URI I don't see him starting at Maryland because of his offensive inefficientcy, but he will be a valuable asset coming off the bench. If he morphs into a pass first point guard, he may move up.
They didn’t bring him there to come off the bench.
He will be their starting PG. My guess is you see a much different player.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Big day for the Terps with Fatts and Qudus W
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago ...

I wish he had been a different player at URI. I'm not sure that that is in Fatts' DNA.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Maryland certainly making the most of the portal getting both Wahab and Fatts.

I have never been a fan of the Terps or Turgeon so my feelings about them will be very mixed going into next season.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago Best wishes to Fatts! Fatts at his best will be valuable addition to most teams. He was the best closer I've seen watching Rhody basketball for 6 decades. As he played at URI I don't see him starting at Maryland because of his offensive inefficientcy, but he will be a valuable asset coming off the bench. If he morphs into a pass first point guard, he may move up.
It’s not really about whether he starts, it’s if he is shooting 2-13 every game. If he shoots 1-7 and gives the 6 other shots to guys who can make them he will looks really good. Probably still get close to 10 a game with FTs.
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I had no problem with Fatts’ shot to pass ratio this past season.
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Fatts will have a lot more talent around him, guys he can trust will score if he finds them. I think he'll be much more a true PG rather than a guy who feels he needs to score a lot of points for his team to win.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago Fatts will have a lot more talent around him, guys he can trust will score if he finds them. I think he'll be much more a true PG rather than a guy who feels he needs to score a lot of points for his team to win.
Especially if Wiggins pulls out of the draft, also have leading scorer Ayala returning along with forward Scott. Maryland should be contending for the B10 next year, they have a deep and talented roaster.
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Thanks for the memories!
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago Fatts will have a lot more talent around him, guys he can trust will score if he finds them. I think he'll be much more a true PG rather than a guy who feels he needs to score a lot of points for his team to win.
If Fatts is healthy he will dominate there. He hasn't had a bunch of scorers around him before.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Agreed. If he can focus on being a pass-first guard, he'll be a solid piece for them. The Big10 is a different animal so he will have trouble scoring in that league unless his shot drastically improves. He'll still be able to blow by any man that defends him, and now that he has guys around him that can hit shots, he's going to have a blast.

I still hate Maryland and can't root for them. I'm a Buckeyes fan.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago
Agreed. If he can focus on being a pass-first guard, he'll be a solid piece for them. The Big10 is a different animal so he will have trouble scoring in that league unless his shot drastically improves. He'll still be able to blow by any man that defends him, and now that he has guys around him that can hit shots, he's going to have a blast.

I still hate Maryland and can't root for them. I'm a Buckeyes fan.
OhowIhateOhioState
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.