The 2021 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Re: The 2020 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by NHRamFan »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago The only way that really makes sense is if Texas told him he should look elsewhere, right? Marquette is a big step down
But, but, but....it's the Big East. All BE supporters will tell you that it's the ONLY place to be for college hoops. (please apply sarcasm font)
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago The only way that really makes sense is if Texas told him he should look elsewhere, right? Marquette is a big step down
Sometimes things just reach their natural end (like Pitt and Jamie Dixon, for example). He was fine at Texas- some lows, some highs, kind of meh. Boosters at programs like Texas are always going to be awful, but some of them showed a very ugly side recently. I wouldn’t want any part of that. Marquette is all about basketball and they back it up with resources, more than I think I even realized. I like Shaka a lot and love the Big East (always have, always will, don’t care that you all don’t). I have no interest in Texas and kind of dislike VCU. Therefore, I like the move.
4 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Shaka grew up in Madison Wisconsin so that may have played a factor too
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Am I misremembering or was he rumored for the Marquette job before? When they went from Buzz Williams to Steve Wojciechowski?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago Am I misremembering or was he rumored for the Marquette job before? When they went from Buzz Williams to Steve Wojciechowski?
Correct...

"Marquette reportedly tabbed Shaka Smart as its No. 1 candidate to replace Buzz Williams, but the VCU coach will not be taking over the Golden Eagles, according to Gary Parrish of CBS Sports. Marquette made a run at Smart but has now "completely moved on to other targets," according to Parrish.

Marquette is far from the first school to make a run at hiring Smart, but with his Wisconsin ties, some speculated the Golden Eagles' job might be attractive enough to finally get Smart to jump. There were even rumors and false reports that Smart had accepted the position. Those reports were eventually determined to be inaccurate and now it appears Marquette is moving on and Smart is staying at VCU, at least for now."

https://www.sbnation.com/college-basket ... haka-smart
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ace wrote: 3 years ago
Sometimes things just reach their natural end (like Pitt and Jamie Dixon, for example). He was fine at Texas- some lows, some highs, kind of meh. Boosters at programs like Texas are always going to be awful, but some of them showed a very ugly side recently. I wouldn’t want any part of that. Marquette is all about basketball and they back it up with resources, more than I think I even realized. I like Shaka a lot and love the Big East (always have, always will, don’t care that you all don’t). I have no interest in Texas and kind of dislike VCU. Therefore, I like the move.
To me, they’ve been the most disappointing P5 team in the country since Shaka took over.

No way I would describe Shaka as being “fine” at Texas.

6 years, below .500 in conference games, ZERO tournament wins.
1 x
Go Rhody
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Being basketball coach at Texas is an impossible job. The yahoo boosters don’t understand why Smart didn’t win the Orange Bowl every year.

/s/
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 3 years ago Being basketball coach at Texas is an impossible job. The yahoo boosters don’t understand why Smart didn’t win the Orange Bowl every year.

/s/
It’s pretty inexcusable to be under .500 in conference with 0 tournament wins in 6 years at Texas with those resources and an unlimited athletics budget.
2 x
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago
Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 3 years ago Being basketball coach at Texas is an impossible job. The yahoo boosters don’t understand why Smart didn’t win the Orange Bowl every year.

/s/
It’s pretty inexcusable to be under .500 in conference with 0 tournament wins in 6 years at Texas with those resources and an unlimited athletics budget.
Didn't make a lot of sense why he wasn't more successful there.

I mean they fired Rick Barnes because he couldn't get them out of thr first round and it turns Shaka sure can't either.

That Abilene Christian loss was brutal. They really had no business losing to that team.

He will probably do better at Marquette.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago
Bos8 wrote: 3 years ago The talk is Kruger is retiring at Oklahoma. I believe that is what Zags is talking about in his tweet.
I think you are right about Kruger.
Wouldn't be surprised if Turgeon does leave, has been rumored for awhile, there always seemed to be some friction with him at Maryland.
I don't know Mark Turgeon...but he just strikes me as a guy who operates in a high friction zone...
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

But Shaka at Marquette is a much better fit. He can get closer to recruiting the types of kids he won with at VCU but upleveled a bit. And building the type of identity that is more natural for him IMO. He’s not the coach for a roster of one and done guys. He will win with really good 3 and 4 star recruits. Fwiw I view Dan similarly.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago

/s/

I mean they fired Rick Barnes because he couldn't get them out of thr first round and it turns Shaka sure can't either.

That Abilene Christian loss was brutal. They really had no business losing to that team.

I'll wager a six pack against that.
0 x
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

As a Marquette post grad graduate, I am super excited!
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago

Deal.

All he has to do is win one tournament game!
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

/s/

?????Rick Barnes had two Sweet Sixteens, two Elite Eights and a Final Four. He made 16 NCAAT at Texas.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago

?????Rick Barnes had two Sweet Sixteens, two Elite Eights and a Final Four. He made 16 NCAAT at Texas.
Yeah and in his last seven years there he lost in the second round 3 times, first round 3 times and went to the CBI once.....where he also lost in the first round.

Barnes is 24-24 in the NCAA tournament as a coach with 12 first round exits to his name.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Yeah and in his last seven years there he lost in the second round 3 times, first round 3 times and went to the CBI once.....where he also lost in the first round.

Barnes is 24-24 in the NCAA tournament as a coach with 12 first round exits to his name.
Well, that's a bit different than he couldn't get them out of the first round, no? I count 6 first round exists out of 16 NCAAT appearances.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Well, that's a bit different than he couldn't get them out of the first round, no? I count 6 first round exists out of 16 NCAAT appearances.
Yeah but they literally fired him because they weren't progressing at all. I wasn't being totally factual but in passing that is what texas fans say and Tennessee fans are feeling that right now after a first round exit this year.

To go back to Shaka, after that final 4 he's just 2-7 in the tournament.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think time has run it’s course for Shaka at Texas , he had his best team there this year and then they spoiled themselves to Abilene

I like the hire for Marquette a step up from Wojo
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

You realize “better” means he has to only win one tournament game, right?
0 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

No...I disagree, but that's probably a longer debate than I want to have. What you're saying is that every coach that has won 'a' (1) tourney game is automatically 'better' than every coach that hasn't...and I just don't think that's true. (If you thought about it, you probably wouldn't either)
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

No...I disagree, but that's probably a longer debate than I want to have. What you're saying is that every coach that has won 'a' (1) tourney game is automatically 'better' than every coach that hasn't...and I just don't think that's true. (If you thought about it, you probably wouldn't either)
Yes, I’ll agree I jumped the gun with that statement.

So then what will be “better?”

I’ll say if (he will) he has a better conference winning percentage (under .500 at Texas) along with more NCAA wins at Marquette, that’ll be considered better than Texas.
0 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Yes, I’ll agree I jumped the gun with that statement.

So then what will be “better?”

I’ll say if (he will) he has a better conference winning percentage (under .500 at Texas) along with more NCAA wins at Marquette, that’ll be considered better than Texas.
Agree. I just don't (intuitively, w/o research) have the same amount of optimism for Marquette as Texas...
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

I feel like Shaka will do better with less for some reason.

Seemed like he abandoned Havoc and the style of play that made VCU so good.

Just went to Texas and tried to be something he's not.

I think at Marquette he'll ratched up that pressure and get back to his roots a little bit.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago ?????Rick Barnes had two Sweet Sixteens, two Elite Eights and a Final Four. He made 16 NCAAT at Texas.
Don't see any Cotton Bowls in there.

/s/
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Mike Woodson got the IU job former Hoosier great with head coaching experience in the NBA with the Hawks and Knicks
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 3 years ago Mike Woodson got the IU job former Hoosier great with head coaching experience in the NBA with the Hawks and Knicks
Good choice.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I like it too Ramster
1 x
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

Was Oats ever on the URI staff? I thought he was, but looks like I was wrong on that. Is there any connection to RI outside of just being an assistant for Bobby Hurley at Buffalo?
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

PCFriars wrote: 3 years ago Was Oats ever on the URI staff? I thought he was, but looks like I was wrong on that. Is there any connection to RI outside of just being an assistant for Bobby Hurley at Buffalo?
He was EC Matthews high school coach, so he knew both Hurleys. Dan suggested he reach out to Bobby when he took the Buffalo job because he was looking to get into the college game.
1 x
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

ace wrote: 3 years ago
PCFriars wrote: 3 years ago Was Oats ever on the URI staff? I thought he was, but looks like I was wrong on that. Is there any connection to RI outside of just being an assistant for Bobby Hurley at Buffalo?
He was EC Matthews high school coach, so he knew both Hurleys. Dan suggested he reach out to Bobby when he took the Buffalo job because he was looking to get into the college game.
Got it. That’s a cool story. Thanks for the reply.
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
reef wrote: 3 years ago Mike Woodson got the IU job former Hoosier great with head coaching experience in the NBA with the Hawks and Knicks
Good choice.
I know he’s an alum and was an excellent player for them, but that was over 40 years ago. At 63 years old with an NBA coaching background, I say this won’t work.
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

JimSidd wrote: 3 years ago
Good choice.
I know he’s an alum and was an excellent player for them, but that was over 40 years ago. At 63 years old with an NBA coaching background, I say this won’t work.
Juwan Howard seems to be doing OK with his NBA coaching background. If anything, today's transfer-riddled college game seems better suited for NBA coaches, who have to figure out how to win and keep their players happy at the same time.
2 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 3 years ago

Good choice.
Juwan Howard seems to be doing OK with his NBA coaching background. If anything, today's transfer-riddled college game seems better suited for NBA coaches, who have to figure out how to win and keep their players happy at the same time.
Maybe it'll work out? Mussleman was also a bad NBA coach who seems to be doing pretty well.
0 x
RAMFAN
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RAMFAN »

0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

RAMFAN wrote: 3 years ago
Poor bastard. Wonder what he'll do after Fordham ruins his coaching career.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......the bar for Fordham is pretty low, no?......climb just up from the cellar floor to peak out the windows and he’ll be genius.......maybe an NYC high ranked kid will go there......stop me, we have seen this movie trailer before.......he will no doubt see “three envelopes” in his desk draw......
Last edited by section(105) 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Neptune was at Villanova when they got Eric Paschall to transfer from Fordham to Villanova. Ironic that he now goes to Fordham as HC.

Paschall is averaging 17 mpg, 3 rpg and 10 ppg for Golden State this season.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Does it really matter for the rest of the A10 if we have a successful NY team? I don't see where Fordham being successful (assuming they ever can be in this conference) would really move the needle much for them in NY, let alone help the entire A10 in NY
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago
Does it really matter for the rest of the A10 if we have a successful NY team? I don't see where Fordham being successful (assuming they ever can be in this conference) would really move the needle much for them in NY, let alone help the entire A10 in NY
No, I think the performance of Fordham, or lack thereof, is overrated when it comes to URI.

It is an excuse to NOT look at the true root cause(s) of why URI lost two games to Duquesne, lost two games to UMASS, came in 10th in the A10.

We should focus on our own team and get up with Dayton, VCU and St Louis as we were under Hurley and Harrick.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 3 years ago

Good choice.
Woodson is from Indianapolis, he played for Bobby Knight at IU, played a long career in the NBA and was a long time Assistant and Head Coach in the NBA. The idea of an Indianapolis native coming back home and being the Head Coach of the School he player for under the legend Bobby Knight is a great story.

IU will not need to worry about Woodson leaving for greener pastures - he will settle right in at IU.

Good choice. It it doesn't work out they reassess but I think Woodson has established solid connections in the basketball world that can help him succeed.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Woodson is a 63-year-old dude who will be a college head coach for the first time. He's got little in common with Howard, who's been a guy identified in NBA circles for years as a good communicator and coaching candidate, with strong ties to Michigan and to kids because he's in one of ESPN's most popular documentaries about college basketball. Woodson's NBA record is 315-365. About the only reason to hire him is his connection to Indiana, so I'm not really optimistic about his chances there.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Interesting shot taken at Jeff Goodman for not crediting the first source..............

0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago Interesting shot taken at Jeff Goodman for not crediting the first source..............

I mean, Goodman already apologized:

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago
ramster wrote: 3 years ago Interesting shot taken at Jeff Goodman for not crediting the first source..............

I mean, Goodman already apologized:

yep,

after he got called out
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I just looked up Kyle Neptune on wiki but he doesn’t have a page , hopefully he is better than the LaSalle coach who also came from Nova

As for IU most of the press is positive with the Woodson hire , they feel after missing the last 3 hires with Sampson Crean and Archie M that going inside the family will work
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago
Agree.

1) Fordham has never been good in the A-10 so how can somebody say having a good Fordham program helps the A-10? There is absolutely zero track record to make that statement from. (Has anybody ever stated having Columbia good at anything is best for the Ivy League??)

2) The rest of the A-10 has never given a hoot about Fordham before and I don't think that's going to change even when they're good.
1 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago Woodson is a 63-year-old dude who will be a college head coach for the first time. He's got little in common with Howard, who's been a guy identified in NBA circles for years as a good communicator and coaching candidate, with strong ties to Michigan and to kids because he's in one of ESPN's most popular documentaries about college basketball. Woodson's NBA record is 315-365. About the only reason to hire him is his connection to Indiana, so I'm not really optimistic about his chances there.
Strange hire. A 63-year old career NBA lifer is now going to have to go to high school gyms and AAU tourneys to watch a bunch of 16-17 year old's?
2 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

reef wrote: 3 years ago I think time has run it’s course for Shaka at Texas , he had his best team there this year and then they spoiled themselves to Abilene

I like the hire for Marquette a step up from Wojo
I am not going to cry for any coach at Texas, considering what they are getting paid and what the resources are. But, I do think it is a sneaky tough gig in this era of college basketball. You are big enough to dip your toes in the water of one and dones or top 50 type recruits but not big enough like Duke or UK where you are rolling multiple high end guys every year. You get one year of Jarrett Allen or Mo Bamba and it's almost like a constant half measure of trying to do a mini rebuild every year. I'd much rather coach a team like Marquette where I can still get top 150 guys, add some transfers, coach them up, and constantly have an older, experienced, talented team after a while. And then hope one of them pops for a special run.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Re: The 2021 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by Bos8 »

Jason Shay out at ETSU. He was in his first year after taking over from Steve Forbes when he left to head to Wake Forest.

0 x