Sheppard

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rhodylocal
Jeff Kent

Re: Sheppard

Unread post by rhodylocal »

McRam wrote: 3 years ago
The fact that it took Cox almost a complete season to get him to the end of the bench tells us a lot about Cox.
I heard Bill Koch talking about this on the Projo Pick and Pop Podcast. If you get a top 100 (maybe higher?) recruit like Carey to transfer to a lower conference / rebuilding program like we have here... You do so by promising playing time. If a player like this transfers and ends up sitting on the bench, what does that tell future recruits that might consider transferring here? Basically guarantees you won't get another like him. Cox is kind of stuck doing all he can to help the kid live up to the hype or at least his potential if he wants to be in the running for future valuable transfers.

I'm with Gorhody89 and not giving up on him. I am an eternal optimist however at least when it comes to Rhody hoops.
3 x
Dan Hurley 2012-2018:
Year 1: 8-21 3-13 T–14th
Year 2:14-18 5-11 10th
Year 3:23-10 13-5 T-2nd NIT 2nd RD
Year 4:17-15 9-9 7th
Year 5:25-10 13-5 T-3rd NCAA T
Year 6:26-8 15-3 1st NCAA T

Archie Miller 2022-?:
Year 1:9-22 5-13 14th
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

It means Carey played like crap and if you want to play, you need to prove it, no matter the level.
2 x
GO RAMS
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

rhodylocal wrote: 3 years ago
The fact that it took Cox almost a complete season to get him to the end of the bench tells us a lot about Cox.
I heard Bill Koch talking about this on the Projo Pick and Pop Podcast. If you get a top 100 (maybe higher?) recruit like Carey to transfer to a lower conference / rebuilding program like we have here... You do so by promising playing time. If a player like this transfers and ends up sitting on the bench, what does that tell future recruits that might consider transferring here? Basically guarantees you won't get another like him. Cox is kind of stuck doing all he can to help the kid live up to the hype or at least his potential if he wants to be in the running for future valuable transfers.

I'm with Gorhody89 and not giving up on him. I am an eternal optimist however at least when it comes to Rhody hoops.
I would also add - Guys that hustle and can play good to great defense are often also really good in practices, and coaches like players that are good in practice. However, in actual basketball games, good offense usually beats good defense, and it's better to have an ultra efficient Jimmy Baron type than a guy who can only defend, like Bruce Bowen before he could hit corner 3s. It's a weird kind of dissonance you have to be aware of.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Some good points have been brought up. I have no idea how he looked in practice, but there is always the chance that he had looked great in pre-season practice. Getting to the rim, finishing, hitting mid range jumpers over Fatts/Shepp and getting stops. I can certainly see giving him the benefit of the doubt early on if that is the case, hoping that it translates to the game.
Or as someone else pointed out, he could have talked to him about playing time when he was recruited. While I don't think promising playing time is as common as some believe, they probably had general discussions regarding how much time he COULD earn. I believe another major selling point is the opportunity to play through your mistakes within reason. Now I would say that there is of course a limit to that "within reason".

I am very curious to see what happens next year as far as Jalen's PT and development. I'm still hopeful, but as someone else mentioned, I too would also put myself in the optimist category.
1 x
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

I'm really hoping the staff is able to form next years system to our players individual and collective strength. To many moving parts and once we lost our confidence/identity we could not recover and fix. It's hard to fix things in a zoom meeting. Hell I have a player at Fairfield who was unable to meet with her head coach in person. Everything was virtual. Can you imagine being a College freshman and not able to walk into your coaches office and talk? She spent weeks on end in hotel rooms and changed dorms 3 times. These kids were up against it this season and isolated from everything except those in the program. Once it heads south it's hard to correct.

The fact that it looks like our team is returning is a blessing. Cox and staff now have a true evaluation of each player and will now hopefully be able to develop and fix. He knows next year is really important if he wants to save his job. Coach Tammi has gotten her extension in two years lets him know that. Our situation is either fixed (Staff figures it out) and we have success with Coach Cox or we move on. There is enough on that roster to win games! Getting Jeremy to come back was huge. If Coach can add a high quality transfer (combo/point guard) or a scoring wing we are in business. I have faith that he will be able to do this.

With this group I really hope we go more zone on defense. Like what Duke had to do a few years ago when they were really big. This will keep the Mitchell's out of foul trouble and won't expose them in a man system. Lots of length on next years team. I also would not give up on Jalen.
4 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I am not giving up on Jalen, but turnovers were a problem for him at Cuse and it has followed him here. Really needs to tighten that up A LOT. It wasn’t just him this year, but he was probably the worst offender. If he can clean that up and stay on the court I do think he does a lot of things well, is a freak athlete and will contribute to the team’s success. Cox gave him a leash to figure it out this year, I don’t blame him for that as Jalen was on a new team after sitting last year. Leash was too long but this is a player who for better or worse is with us at least 1 more seasons.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

This isn't rec basketball where every player needs to play a certain number of minutes, or a kid's parent will yell at the coach after the game. This is D1. I completely understand and agree you shouldn't give up on a player. Benching Carey and having him ride the bench would have only made things worse. I don't question why Cox played Carey. I question why he played him so much. Cox started him initially, and that didn't work out. He was then the first guard off the bench, and that didn't work out. It was clear after Seton Hall that Ish deserved more minutes than Carey, but it still took Cox 15 games to make that change. After such an awesome game against Seton Hall, he played Ish for 11 minutes against Wisconsin. Carey played 24! Cox did a poor job handling his rotations all season. He needs to improve in that area drastically. NCAA OR BUST!!
4 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

This is division one basketball. That is not how it works. Also no other transfer is going to think they are anything like the guy sitting. Any program that would work like described above would be doomed. I'm sure we are playing who plays best.
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I agree and think we need to be patient with Carey. There is a lot of ability there. But not as a primary ball handler
1 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

I think Carey will become a good player here. Obviously he did not have a good season. But I am with those that believe he will figure it out.
3 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

LIRAM wrote: 3 years ago I'm really hoping the staff is able to form next years system to our players individual and collective strength. To many moving parts and once we lost our confidence/identity we could not recover and fix. It's hard to fix things in a zoom meeting. Hell I have a player at Fairfield who was unable to meet with her head coach in person. Everything was virtual. Can you imagine being a College freshman and not able to walk into your coaches office and talk? She spent weeks on end in hotel rooms and changed dorms 3 times. These kids were up against it this season and isolated from everything except those in the program. Once it heads south it's hard to correct.

The fact that it looks like our team is returning is a blessing. Cox and staff now have a true evaluation of each player and will now hopefully be able to develop and fix. He knows next year is really important if he wants to save his job. Coach Tammi has gotten her extension in two years lets him know that. Our situation is either fixed (Staff figures it out) and we have success with Coach Cox or we move on. There is enough on that roster to win games! Getting Jeremy to come back was huge. If Coach can add a high quality transfer (combo/point guard) or a scoring wing we are in business. I have faith that he will be able to do this.

With this group I really hope we go more zone on defense. Like what Duke had to do a few years ago when they were really big. This will keep the Mitchell's out of foul trouble and won't expose them in a man system. Lots of length on next years team. I also would not give up on Jalen.
Agree with zones but make it at least two different kinds of zones. Suggest 131 for parts of game and for sure play zone when Dj is in game and play him at top of key. He will disrupt things with his length, hustle etc
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

LIRAM wrote: 3 years ago I'm really hoping the staff is able to form next years system to our players individual and collective strength. To many moving parts and once we lost our confidence/identity we could not recover and fix. It's hard to fix things in a zoom meeting. Hell I have a player at Fairfield who was unable to meet with her head coach in person. Everything was virtual. Can you imagine being a College freshman and not able to walk into your coaches office and talk? She spent weeks on end in hotel rooms and changed dorms 3 times. These kids were up against it this season and isolated from everything except those in the program. Once it heads south it's hard to correct.

Agree with zones but make it at least two different kinds of zones. Suggest 131 for parts of game and for sure play zone when Dj is in game and play him at top of key. He will disrupt things with his length, hustle etc
Rhody_NYCT wrote: 3 years ago I think Carey will become a good player here. Obviously he did not have a good season. But I am with those that believe he will figure it out.

What position can Carey excel at. Point- he is a turnover machine, shooting guard - he can’t shoot,
We need a wing and I only hope there is some more openings that develop. I hope it is Carey !
0 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

I don't think you need to fit exactly into a position to be key piece to a team. Carey is not a PG. I guess he would fit as a 2/3 with a smaller lineup. I think shooting is something any player has the potential to improve every year. As well as decision making and turnovers.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Bos8 wrote: 3 years ago ?? Personal attacks??

Facts aren’t personal. When you are wrong, and spouting non sense it isn’t personal to point that out. I have no idea who you are as a person. But I find your non sensical posts borderline offensive. You could most certainly be a fantastic father, an exemplary employee, and an overall great human being. In no way am I disagreeing with that. Just pointing out that you are usually factually incorrect more often then not.

It just becomes tiring when the same nonsense is spewed in EVERY thread. I'd love to hear some insight about what Shep is going, since I personally don't know. But it turns into a bash the coach/program thread. I'd love to know what Fatts is going to do, because again, I have no insight personally, but again that thread becomes a bash the way Fatts was coached thread. I wouldn't mind being updated on the coaching search at relevant schools, but alas it becomes another bash the program thread. I'd love to see what players we may be involved with, but instead I need to read that "Fatts had Cox over a barrel". (Isn't that personal?)
Dude...either become a mod, and do this thing in the background....or just give it a rest.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

eli#10 wrote: 3 years ago Great news but am still very worried about the coaching...........
Why? You know what you have. Leopard...spots....
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 3 years ago
RI_Bred wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago It is up to Jalen and Jermaine to break through.
Not happening.
Walker and Sheppard are the most skilled offensive players on the roster. Walker can do a lot of different things at his size. Sheppard's quickness and shooting are outstanding.

With that said, I'll say this about Jalen Carey. He's not basketball-skilled, he's not a shooter, and he doesn't see the entire court very well for a point guard. He is however the best pure athlete on the roster. Just like you can't teach size...you can teach athleticism. The best POTENTIAL comparison that comes to mind when I watch him is that he could become like (a poor man's) Rajon Rondo when he was at Kentucky. There's no reason he can't defend, distribute, push it, and get into the paint (to either finish with a little pull-up or dish) at a high level. I don't think he'll ever be 3-point shooter and he'll struggle in tempo-controlled games. He has to learn not to over penetrate.

My concern is whether he can develop this off-season with this staff. The kid has some tools (that's why he was a high-level recruit)...but he just doesn't know what his tools are. Coaches need to tell him what his tools are and then they need to show him how to use those tools. Can they do it?

We've all seen college kids who woulda/coulda/shoulda on the court...hope he's not one of those.
Challenges above underlined...

Would love to hear why anyone thinks the answer to that last question could be yes...
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I'm not predicting that Jermaine or Jaylen will turn their careers around, but it is not beyond the realm of possibility because the athleticism is there. I've seen it happen too many times to write them off. Also, there is no way that Makhi and may Makhel will only average 20 minutes/game if healthy. The issue of who starts is less important than minutes played and match-ups. If you don't have a plethora of outside shooters, then you need to play big down low. With everyone healthy, I don't see Malik and AJ playing more minutes than Walker, the twins. Shepp or Ish.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

FEAR NOT BUT WALKER WILLL BE TAKEN OUT OF THE GAME AFTER THE FIRST 4-5 MINUTES.
0 x
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodeIslandRams »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago
section(105) wrote: 3 years ago .....good news for sure.......but I am guarding against going gaga over this......as we were 10th in the conference........do not see how this alone catapult us to the top......
Absolutely this.

Saying we are top 3 on paper after that abomination of a season is crazy talk and just setting us up for disappointment.

Let the chips fall as there will be plenty more roster movement within the conference.
Agreed but forgive me if I enjoy some good news for this program this week lol
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago We need a PG who makes teammates better. I give the edge to Ish over Shepp. URI needs Shepp as an outside shooter and not as a PG who is looking for his shot first.

We have two 4* players who have never achieved their expected potential as college players. It is up to Jalen and Jermaine to break through. Neither has a starting job waiting for them as they probably thought going into last season. Jalen actually started the first few games this year and Jermaine started every game the previous two seasons. Cox should have a serious talk to both before renewing their scholarships to determine whether they are serious about playing college basketball.
Sheppard will be the Point Guard.
In his last 7 games Sheppard had 23 Assists and only 2 Turnovers. Sheppard is the best passer on the team.

Give Sheppard the ball, let him lead the team. Leggett and Sheppard will play very well together given the reigns.

As for Jalen and Jermaine, it is up to every player to break through as you say.
Jalen started only 2 games, he got beat out by Martin. Martin then got beat out by Betrand and Betrand then got beat out by Leggett.

Starting Line Up will be:
  • Sheppard
  • Leggett
  • Makhel Mitchell
  • Antwan Walker
Battle for 5th spot between Martin, Makhi Mitchell, Betrand, Johnson, Harris, Carey and others. Cox will assess their talents over the summer and preseason practices.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I think this is mostly true IF we don't land a seasoned true PG in the transfer market...if we do I think that slides Shepp and Ish over to the 2 and 3 spot and we go with 3 guards along with Walker and Makhel. There is a reason we are on West heavy. Jeremy and Ish are better suited as scorers vs facilitators. We still could use a facilitator.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

I want to be excited, but we just finished 10th with Fatts. I hate to be negative, but he took a ton of pressure off guys like Ish and Shep. Some guys underachieve as the top weapon on a team, but I have faith Shep can do it...We need to land an immediate impact point guard for me to have much hope that we have a better season than last year. I think Cox knows this with the offers we have seen lately. We lost out on a great guard in Parham. I hope we don't lose out on West. I still think it's crazy that we haven't offered the A10 rookie of the year..
Last edited by steveystuds06 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago I think this is mostly true IF we don't land a seasoned true PG in the transfer market...if we do I think that slides Shepp and Ish over to the 2 and 3 spot and we go with 3 guards along with Walker and Makhel. There is a reason we are on West heavy. Jeremy and Ish are better suited as scorers vs facilitators. We still could use a facilitator.
It will be interesting to see how they use whoever they bring in - I don't think that player necessarily needs to be a starter. A good distributor who can defend and knock down some threes when needed would be probably be enough for next year. You can't go to the bench and always pull an erratic player. Need a solid player there sometimes to calm things down or get things started.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago I want to be excited, but we just finished 10th with Fatts. I hate to be negative, but he took a ton of pressure off guys like Ish and Shep. Some guys underachieve as the top weapon on a team, but I have faith Shep can do it...We need to land an immediate impact point guard for me to have much hope that we have a better season than last year. I think Cox knows this with the offers we have seen lately. We lost out on a great guard in Parham. I hope we don't lose out on West. I still think it's crazy that we haven't offered the A10 rookie of the year..
We also finished 10th because Fatts couldn't hit a shot all year and that made everyone worse.
1 x
Rhody78
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhody78 »

Lets face it During his career Fatts was good maybe 30% of the time the rest of the time he was awful!! We will be better without him!! If you just look at his career numbers he was a team killer and part of that is on the coach!!
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago I want to be excited, but we just finished 10th with Fatts. I hate to be negative, but he took a ton of pressure off guys like Ish and Shep. Some guys underachieve as the top weapon on a team, but I have faith Shep can do it...We need to land an immediate impact point guard for me to have much hope that we have a better season than last year. I think Cox knows this with the offers we have seen lately. We lost out on a great guard in Parham. I hope we don't lose out on West. I still think it's crazy that we haven't offered the A10 rookie of the year..
We also finished 10th because Fatts couldn't hit a shot all year and that made everyone worse.
We shall see. I think the "it was all Fatts fault" people on here will be in for a rude awakening if this team doesn't have a ball-handler and creator like him.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago
We shall see. I think the "it was all Fatts fault" people on here will be in for a rude awakening if this team doesn't have a ball-handler and creator like him.
I'm definitely not in the all Fatts Fault category and I agree.

We absolutely need another good guard.

Can't get by with just two good guards in the A-10.

I just think it was really detrimental having an unhealthy Fatts with this particular team. A healthy Fatts and we probably win at least five more games. Like a lot better.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Fatts wasn't a good shooter when he was healthy.

Might have won a couple, maybe 3 more, tops.

Not a significant difference.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Fatts wasn't a good shooter when he was healthy.

If he played like he did as a junior it would have been a very significant difference. I mean he was practically useless all year offensively. As a junior we were talking about him being an All American. I mean he digressed a lotttt. He was a shell.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

If he played like he did as a junior it would have been a very significant difference. I mean he was practically useless all year offensively. As a junior we were talking about him being an All American. I mean he digressed a lotttt. He was a shell.
He shot 38% FG and 35% 3PT his Junior year.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago

These numbers are kind of inflated from an absolutely disgusting filthy tear he went on for 3 weeks where he couldn’t miss. If he was a consistent 38% and 35% player we would have won a lot more games. Honestly, it was the reason I thought we were going to be ok this year because he would work hard to be a more consistent shooter, but he was hurt and had a worse year. We have been living and dying by Fatts for 3 years now. I really wish he had been healthy because he probably left 75 points on the floor this year with makeable shots that would have completely changed the season trajectory.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago

These numbers are kind of inflated from an absolutely disgusting filthy tear he went on for 3 weeks where he couldn’t miss. If he was a consistent 38% and 35% player we would have won a lot more games. Honestly, it was the reason I thought we were going to be ok this year because he would work hard to be a more consistent shooter, but he was hurt and had a worse year. We have been living and dying by Fatts for 3 years now. I really wish he had been healthy because he probably left 75 points on the floor this year with makeable shots that would have completely changed the season trajectory.
Just have to disagree with you. 38% and 35% is just pedestrian.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Yeah and 33% FG and 23% 3PT FG's is waaaaay worse.

Do you guys not remember how much better he was as a junior?

How he was like absolutely dominating? Big games against big teams? Just torching WVU? Destroying Herbert Jones for Alabama who was the SEC defensive and player of the year this year? He took over against PC, kept us from being embarrassed by LSU, scored 30 against VCU I mean.... we didn't hey anyyyy of that this year.

If we got 2 to 3 months of that this year like we did in 19/20 it is a whole different season.

Not saying it would've been a great season, but it would have been very different if we were watching Fatts this year and at some point we felt that he was playing like an all American. He was playing far from an all American level or even a first team all A-10 level.
0 x
Ramtastico
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Ramtastico »

Is this thread titled “Sheppard” by mistake? Rename it “Let’s bash Fatts Thread # 79”.
Give it a break. Did he not sign your souvenir basketball?
Ish and Shep had better get some help this year bringing the ball up under pressure. I love those two but I feel until/unless we pick up a great ball handler that will be a big weakness for us.
5 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Some of you act like Fatts had incriminating photos of Cox or was holding his dog hostage or something. “Thank goodness the powerful and scary young man is gone, now the head coach can do what he really wants to do.” What? The head coach makes the roster, the head coach has to figure out the roster. I hope Fatts stays healthy in 21-22 and reaches his goal of making the tournament.
Last edited by ace 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
6 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Ramtastico wrote: 3 years ago Is this thread titled “Sheppard” by mistake? Rename it “Let’s bash Fatts Thread # 79”.
Ish and Shep had better get some help this year bringing the ball up under pressure. I love those two but I feel until/unless we pick up a great ball handler that will be a big weakness for us.
A tale as old as time.

Bash one of the best players in recent history over and over again, yet constantly defend the absolute stiffs we’ve had on this team over the years.
2 x
Go Rhody
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Ramtastico wrote: 3 years ago Is this thread titled “Sheppard” by mistake? Rename it “Let’s bash Fatts Thread # 79”.
A tale as old as time.

Bash one of the best players in recent history over and over again, yet constantly defend the absolute stiffs we’ve had on this team over the years.
It's what some (just some, not majority) on this board do, they handle it like a ugly break up and then resort to shit talking and handling it poorly when a player leaves...look all the ridiculous comments about Rese, some saying he didnt step up in competition, which is a complete lie.
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

wpbrown8267 wrote: 3 years ago
A tale as old as time.

It's what some (just some, not majority) on this board do, they handle it like a ugly break up and then resort to shit talking and handling it poorly when a player leaves...look all the ridiculous comments about Rese, some saying he didnt step up in competition, which is a complete lie.
So it is a fan message board, we speak in hyperbole and get overly upset. However, many of us who love Fatts, loved his heart, loved his toughness, loved everything about his game could see that he was not a good shooter at all. It was the thing that held him back from being one of the most exciting players the last 20 years (which he of course is) versus being talked about as one of the best ever to play here. We were "bashing" him when he was here, hoping the numbers would improve. Every 2-13 game we lost was an internet explosion about how bad the shooting was. Blame the coach, blame the player, blame whoever you want but that is the reality of the last 3 seasons - we won or lost with Fatts. So now people are excited to see what a more balanced team may look like with Shep and Ish. It may look really bad but who knows, we haven't seen it in 3 years.

I think Tyrese is a very solid BE player. He could have been a star in the A10 and had the team built around him next year if he stayed. That is most of the comments about Tyrese that I remember.
0 x