Charlie O's

Off-Topic News, Music, TV, Movies, Tech, etc.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Charlie O's

Unread post by Rhody15 »

A Gansett and URI landmark, our beloved Charlie O's will officially be torn down. :cry: :cry: :cry:

The Trap, a restaurant located in EG, will build another restaurant in the Charlie O's space.
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: Charlie O's

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I've never understood the people that strap themselves to trees and whatnot to prevent something from being torn down. Now I do
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

No great architectural loss. The building was looking rather haggard in recent years. Problem with that site is that it does not allow for a lot of off road parking.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

This one hurts. I survived 2 years on the $1 draft and free food happy hours.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Worst news since Hurley leaving for Uconn.
GO RAMS
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

I think it was called the point back in the old days. I was more of a beachcomber, schiller's guy. My wife was more of a point person her last year living off campus. We rented the house right across from it last summer. Strange walking by and still seeing place settings on a bunch of tables..🍺🍺
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Drove by there last week and it looked ready to fall down on its own. A parking lot would be an improvement.
Slava Ukraini!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I've been to the Trap in EG for one of Hurley's radio shows.

Nice restaurant. Should be a good replacement for Charlie O's.

I'm sure the prices won't be cheap though.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ram1980 wrote: 3 years ago I think it was called the point back in the old days. I was more of a beachcomber, schiller's guy. My wife was more of a point person her last year living off campus. We rented the house right across from it last summer. Strange walking by and still seeing place settings on a bunch of tables..🍺🍺
It was also once a place called Markey's back in the 1970's if my childhood memories are right.
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Charlie O's and more importantly Simon's Lounge housed some of my favorite moments my senior year. Not sure I missed a single Friday happy hour that whole year. $5 pitchers, free french fries and chicken wings.
Good thing they're knocking it down. Had maybe the worst layout of any bar/restaurant I've ever seen.
Maine66
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Maine66 »

In the mid 60's Giro's in Peacedale was our go to place as was the original Iggy's which was in the same neighborhood. Still remember those dime beers!They eventually built a new place near the campus but it was never the same. Later in that era Kenny Carters became more of the "in" place.

Chuck, the Charlie O's owner was a fraternity brother.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Iggy's on 108....loved that place, unfortunately it was the place where I watched URI lose to Duke in that infamous 78 game.

Giro's....great food. Townies galore lol.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Rambone. Even worse I was at the game 😢
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

2 worst losses in URI history.

That game and Stanford of course.

I truly believe we were FF bound if we had beaten Duke. So many chances at the end.
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 3 years ago Had maybe the worst layout of any bar/restaurant I've ever seen.
You're not kidding! If you had the furthest pool table and had to get to the bathroom on a Friday night, good luck! I could only imagine a fire in that building, which was not a thought at my time as a 21 y.o. regular before the Station tragedy (late 90s).

Brought my wife there for lunch maybe 6 years back and besides nostalgia it was basically an Applebee's or 99 that catered to more college kids. I knew the end was coming.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rhodyruckus wrote: 3 years ago
phipsiGD'11 wrote: 3 years ago Had maybe the worst layout of any bar/restaurant I've ever seen.
You're not kidding! If you had the furthest pool table and had to get to the bathroom on a Friday night, good luck! I could only imagine a fire in that building, which was not a thought at my time as a 21 y.o. regular before the Station tragedy (late 90s).

Brought my wife there for lunch maybe 6 years back and besides nostalgia it was basically an Applebee's or 99 that catered to more college kids. I knew the end was coming.

Oh yea it definitely wasn’t supposed to be a fine dining place, it was obviously catered towards college kids as it should have been.

Only an idiot could run that gold mine into the ground.

Don’t gamble kids.
Go Rhody
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

And don't do drugs...
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund