Fatts (Grad Transfer to Maryland)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: Fatts

Unread post by TruePoint »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago Unfair to say he is defined by that 1 steal and three. He was the deciding factor in 2 PC wins, at least 1 VCU win maybe another. Single handedly kept us in the game at Morgantown with one of the better individual performances in recent memory. He’s had a few big moments.
He also won a game on Hawk Hill by himself in one of my favorite URI single-game performances in memory. The way that season went overall didn’t do a ton to imbue that game with a lot of larger meaning, but that’s not his fault.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody78
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhody78 »

In my opinion Fatts had the worst shot selection of any URI player I have seen since 1975. I also agree he had games where he carried us but also games he buried us. He is not a player I would have enjoyed playing with. As for effort most players play as hard as possible if they don't its the coaches job to sit them. I can name many many players who played just as hard as him and were far more efficient and team oriented!!! You want names Hassan, Jeff, Cyril, Tyson, Jared, Antonio, Ish I can go on and on!!! so stop with the legend status I appreciate his four years and glad to have had him, but I am glad he is moving on. I wish him nothing but the best!!!
3 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

My perspective is that Fatts is the most electric player I've seen at URI since at least Tyson Wheeler (and maybe even more electric than Tyson). He was fun to watch...Great individual moments and some great games.

However, his shooting percentages and shot selection do not warrant him to be mentioned in the greatest players of all time at URI. Probably not even in the top 20. Just since '88 you would have to put Garrick, Silk, Kenny Green, Tyson, Cat, EC, Jarred, Dowtin, Baron, Hass (and I'm sure i'm missing a few others) all above him.
3 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

RhodyRam86 wrote: 3 years ago My perspective is that Fatts is the most electric player I've seen at URI since at least Tyson Wheeler (and maybe even more electric than Tyson). He was fun to watch...Great individual moments and some great games.

However, his shooting percentages and shot selection do not warrant him to be mentioned in the greatest players of all time at URI. Probably not even in the top 20. Just since '88 you would have to put Garrick, Silk, Kenny Green, Tyson, Cat, EC, Jarred, Dowtin, Baron, Hass (and I'm sure i'm missing a few others) all above him.
I mean, you listed 10, so you have to double that to get him out of the Top 20, haha. I don't think he's in the Top 10, but I imagine he's in the Top 20, given that he played at URI four years, he played on tournament teams, he had big moments in big games, etc. I think he's hurt by some recency bias here, meaning that the disappointing end to his career muddies the whole thing. You can fiddle with the stats at College Reference to support either side of the argument.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago
RhodyRam86 wrote: 3 years ago My perspective is that Fatts is the most electric player I've seen at URI since at least Tyson Wheeler (and maybe even more electric than Tyson). He was fun to watch...Great individual moments and some great games.

I mean, you listed 10, so you have to double that to get him out of the Top 20, haha. I don't think he's in the Top 10, but I imagine he's in the Top 20, given that he played at URI four years, he played on tournament teams, he had big moments in big games, etc. I think he's hurt by some recency bias here, meaning that the disappointing end to his career muddies the whole thing. You can fiddle with the stats at College Reference to support either side of the argument.
SG - I think you are right on all point here. He is probably top 20. After his freshmen year, you could have seen him as a top 5 program player EVER but it didn't go that way which I think has soured us on what is still a very good player for our program. Seeing that potential which was never reached (for whatever reason you choose) was tough to watch as fans.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Agree definitely in the top 20 for sure just that stat alone where he in the record book with Tommy G and Tyson on the points assists and steals chart would have him in there as well as help winning a game in the Big Dance
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago
SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago

SG - I think you are right on all point here. He is probably top 20. After his freshmen year, you could have seen him as a top 5 program player EVER but it didn't go that way which I think has soured us on what is still a very good player for our program. Seeing that potential which was never reached (for whatever reason you choose) was tough to watch as fans.
What is the Top 20?
I have seen posters talking about Top 20 since 200, Top 20 Guards of all time, etc

Is it Top URI Players of all time? Sorry I'm confused.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think they were referring to top 20 since 88
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Is it guards only? or all players?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I think it is overall player. I think we ranked players on the board when we set it up. This was the top 15:

Ernie Calverley 7500
Tyson Wheeler 5000
Sly Williams 3500
Carlton Owens 2114
Cuttino Mobley 1500
Tom Garrick 1000
Art Stephenson 750
ARD 500
Jimmy Baron 339
Big Ed Brown 338
Lamar Odom 275
Kenny Green 200
Jeff Kent 150
Steve Chubin 100
Marc Upshaw 75
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

ramster wrote: 3 years ago Is it guards only? or all players?

I had Kenny Green and Hass in my list...if that helps clarify.
0 x
Ramball
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Ramball »

What about Pappy Owens and Steve Rowell. Two great ones.
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

I'm basing on top 20 all time from all positions. I named 10 from 1988 on that to me, no doubt, were greater players and meant more to the program than Fatts. I'm sure we could make an argument for others since 1988 that also belong on the list before Fatts, but the others may be debatable.

A few obvious prior to 1988 are Stevenson, Cavelry, and Sly. So there are 13 not debatables total without giving much thought.

I love Fatts and enjoyed watching him play here for the last 4 years. He was the most entertaining player we've had in a while (certainly since Tyson). But not one of the best 20 players in Rhody history.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Been watching Rhody since 05-06 and Fatts in his junior year was the best I have seen in Kingston.

Not the best player over all, but that junior year...haven't seen a Rhody player top that.

Of course he hit a wall at the end which was the main reason we fell off like we did, but when he had it rolling I haven't seen anyone better.

Jared Terrells senior year was almost as dominate, but the way Fatts just took over was crazy.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RhodyRam86 wrote: 3 years ago

I'm basing on top 20 all time from all positions. I named 10 from 1988 on that to me, no doubt, were greater players and meant more to the program than Fatts. I'm sure we could make an argument for others since 1988 that also belong on the list before Fatts, but the others may be debatable.

A few obvious prior to 1988 are Stevenson, Cavelry, and Sly. So there are 13 not debatables total without giving much thought.

I love Fatts and enjoyed watching him play here for the last 4 years. He was the most entertaining player we've had in a while (certainly since Tyson). But not one of the best 20 players in Rhody history.
I wish Rod was here to debate this.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago I think it is overall player. I think we ranked players on the board when we set it up. This was the top 15:

Ernie Calverley 7500
Tyson Wheeler 5000
Sly Williams 3500
Carlton Owens 2114
Cuttino Mobley 1500
Tom Garrick 1000
Art Stephenson 750
ARD 500
Jimmy Baron 339
Big Ed Brown 338
Lamar Odom 275
Kenny Green 200
Jeff Kent 150
Steve Chubin 100
Marc Upshaw 75
Any list that has Ed Brown, Jeff Kent and Marc Upshaw ahead of Jiggy Williamson and Pappy Owens is a bad list.
6 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

re: The list of URI players used for posters, I don't even remember it being a board topic. I think it was just a fun, cheeky thing that we did - it wasn't meant to be a serious rating, hence the presence of Big Ed Brown in there.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Fatts has posted his list to his IG:

1 x
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

Some really good programs with exceptional programs. Many of these programs have had great success with transfers. Oregon would be a home run! Texas would be fun with Shaka's system. Maryland is in need of guard play but Turgeon is an ass. I will always root for Fatts and I think this was a solid move for him. It was also time for us to move on. All the best Fatts and I'm sure you will continue to prove people wrong.
4 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Fatts would be a valuable addition to practically every team in the USA if we could accept a limited role that utilized his talents as a closer - a late game ball handler, foul shooter and defender when the team was nursing a small lead in the final moments. I doubt that this is what Fatts wants. As I have defined a closer above, Fatts is best I have seen in 50 years of watching URI basketball. If you disagree, give me some names.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

No Seton Hall on his list ?? Hope he doesn’t end up at Arkansas not a fan of Muss. Will be fun to watch him next year though
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

I mean if Gonzaga will take him I say go there.
1 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

reef wrote: 3 years ago No Seton Hall on his list ?? Hope he doesn’t end up at Arkansas not a fan of Muss. Will be fun to watch him next year though
Because American grad transfer Harris and his brother just committed there a day or two ago
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Dino611 wrote: 3 years ago
reef wrote: 3 years ago No Seton Hall on his list ?? Hope he doesn’t end up at Arkansas not a fan of Muss. Will be fun to watch him next year though
Because American grad transfer Harris and his brother just committed there a day or two ago
Jamir will be an impact transfer this season but his brother Jaquan Harris is a '22 recruit.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

LIRAM wrote: 3 years ago Some really good programs with exceptional programs. Many of these programs have had great success with transfers. Oregon would be a home run! Texas would be fun with Shaka's system. Maryland is in need of guard play but Turgeon is an ass. I will always root for Fatts and I think this was a solid move for him. It was also time for us to move on. All the best Fatts and I'm sure you will continue to prove people wrong.
He would not work out well in Oregon's spread system unless he becomes a significantly better shooter and gives up the ball much quicker.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think ASU makes a lot of sense family in Arizona as well as Bobby Hurley and the style they play
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Interesting. No one took me up of naming a better "closer" at URI than Fatts in the past 50 years. By closer I using a baseball title: a player you want on the court in the final minute or two of a game when URI was nursing a small lead - less than 5 points. If what I claimed is true, that's quite a compliment to Fatts.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

^^^Please Don't Feed The Troll^^^
2 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

reef wrote: 3 years ago I think ASU makes a lot of sense family in Arizona as well as Bobby Hurley and the style they play
While that does make a lot of sense I’m not sure how it would be great for his career. PAC 12 loses a lot of love to the east coast bias. Need to really be on a premier team out west to get the same level media coverage.

If Fatts is smart he waits till the final 4 and just commits to one of the teams left standing. Chances are someone on his list will be there. Could make himself a storyline of a tournament he’s not even playing in
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

KingstonLane wrote: 3 years ago
reef wrote: 3 years ago I think ASU makes a lot of sense family in Arizona as well as Bobby Hurley and the style they play
While that does make a lot of sense I’m not sure how it would be great for his career. PAC 12 loses a lot of love to the east coast bias. Need to really be on a premier team out west to get the same level media coverage.

If Fatts is smart he waits till the final 4 and just commits to one of the teams left standing. Chances are someone on his list will be there. Could make himself a storyline of a tournament he’s not even playing in
I could see it. A coach who tells him not to shoot a three and yanks him when he does.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

yeah 72, that's a reasonable take. IMO Fatt's is definitely the best closer in my experience as a ram fan.

Hey everyone Rhody72 posted something reasonable :P
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

TruePoint wrote: 3 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago Unfair to say he is defined by that 1 steal and three. He was the deciding factor in 2 PC wins, at least 1 VCU win maybe another. Single handedly kept us in the game at Morgantown with one of the better individual performances in recent memory. He’s had a few big moments.
He also won a game on Hawk Hill by himself in one of my favorite URI single-game performances in memory. The way that season went overall didn’t do a ton to imbue that game with a lot of larger meaning, but that’s not his fault.
It was better but similar to Wilson in the opener against George Mason!
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I've felt like it'll be Arizona State since they were first mentioned. Just makes too much sense.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago Interesting. No one took me up of naming a better "closer" at URI than Fatts in the past 50 years. By closer I using a baseball title: a player you want on the court in the final minute or two of a game when URI was nursing a small lead - less than 5 points. If what I claimed is true, that's quite a compliment to Fatts.
I think it's more that people are annoyed with your unique brand of bullshit as of late, and simply aren't engaging with it as much.
5 x
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

LIRAM wrote: 3 years ago Some really good programs with exceptional programs. Many of these programs have had great success with transfers. Oregon would be a home run! Texas would be fun with Shaka's system. Maryland is in need of guard play but Turgeon is an ass. I will always root for Fatts and I think this was a solid move for him. It was also time for us to move on. All the best Fatts and I'm sure you will continue to prove people wrong.
He would not work out well in Oregon's spread system unless he becomes a significantly better shooter and gives up the ball much quicker.
I think a spread, open system would work best for Fatts. By having a traditional post player clogs the middle and limited Fatts paint touches. We played way to much pick and roll with Fatts. He has the unique ability to break anyone down off the dribble. I understand screening the ball and putting people is switches was a philosophy of our offense but it was too much dribble. A system with catch and attack into open space or catch and shoot would be a good system for Fatts. He is at his best when given space. Bringing help and heavy hedges was not beneficial to his game. He does not shoot the ball well enough off high ball screens- lots of teams just went under. Throw in the fact that Fatts was hurt all season made it painful to watch. Fatts when healthy should be in an open free flowing system. He would thrive in my opinion.
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I think a chaotic “40 minutes of hell” D and fast breaking offense suits Fatts best. Get him in the open floor and he’s a force
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago ...
I think it's more that people are annoyed with your unique brand of bullshit as of late, and simply aren't engaging with it as much.
I'll take that as you agree with me. I call it as I see it. I don't make personal attacks on posters who disagree with me. I tell you why I feel the way I do and I listen to opposing positions. That said, at this point I still support David Cox.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

LIRAM wrote: 3 years ago
I think a spread, open system would work best for Fatts. By having a traditional post player clogs the middle and limited Fatts paint touches. We played way to much pick and roll with Fatts. He has the unique ability to break anyone down off the dribble. I understand screening the ball and putting people is switches was a philosophy of our offense but it was too much dribble. A system with catch and attack into open space or catch and shoot would be a good system for Fatts. He is at his best when given space. Bringing help and heavy hedges was not beneficial to his game. He does not shoot the ball well enough off high ball screens- lots of teams just went under. Throw in the fact that Fatts was hurt all season made it painful to watch. Fatts when healthy should be in an open free flowing system. He would thrive in my opinion.
Ok. Oregon offense is basically 90% high ball screens. It is more or less what Cox is running just with guys who can run it with big wings who hit 3s, Drive, rebound, etc. my point was that Fatts doesn’t shoot well enough coming off the screen to open those other lanes. Duarte is 40% from 3, 50% from the floor. That’s what makes that work, he is a threat that that the defense must respect.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

I’ve hated Oregon ever since 2017.
8 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

Ok. Oregon offense is basically 90% high ball screens. It is more or less what Cox is running just with guys who can run it with big wings who hit 3s, Drive, rebound, etc. my point was that Fatts doesn’t shoot well enough coming off the screen to open those other lanes. Duarte is 40% from 3, 50% from the floor. That’s what makes that work, he is a threat that that the defense must respect.
Hey Law, I respect where you are coming from but disagree. Fatts when healthy would excel in a 5 out system. Oregon plays 5 guys 30 plus minutes and all are 6'6- 6'5. Every offense on the planet uses some high ball screen action. The 5 out system they run is more wing cut and corner fill with high shows and slips. They incorporate hand offs and yes some high ball screen. It is a quick hitter offense that rarely goes deep in shot clock. Very little dribble other than Duarte. Coach Altman starts three transfers. He has proven he can acclimate transfers into his system. They also press and run a match up zone on defense. Those are the reasons Fatts works in that system. Fatts junior year works in most systems across the country. He was not healthy this year. Please don't compare Cox's offense to Oregon's. We did not run a 5 out system. Be well and I appreciate your view and agree with some of it. That's all I got...
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

We never ran 5 out. Some horns and a lot of DHO/ high ball screen action.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Hey Law, I respect where you are coming from but disagree. Fatts when healthy would excel in a 5 out system. Oregon plays 5 guys 30 plus minutes and all are 6'6- 6'5. Every offense on the planet uses some high ball screen action. The 5 out system they run is more wing cut and corner fill with high shows and slips. They incorporate hand offs and yes some high ball screen. It is a quick hitter offense that rarely goes deep in shot clock. Very little dribble other than Duarte. Coach Altman starts three transfers. He has proven he can acclimate transfers into his system. They also press and run a match up zone on defense. Those are the reasons Fatts works in that system. Fatts junior year works in most systems across the country. He was not healthy this year. Please don't compare Cox's offense to Oregon's. We did not run a 5 out system. Be well and I appreciate your view and agree with some of it. That's all I got...
Yeah - I know that we don't play 5 out like Oregon so that was a little more tongue and cheek on the high ball screens. Do I think Fatts could be good in that offense, sure, if he can improve his shooting and dribbles a lot less. I just don't see it working consistently. Duarte is the perfect player for that system at 6'6" with good shooting ability and he quickly gets rid of the ball.

You are right that junior year Fatts (for about 4 weeks) could play on any team in the country. I think the Fatts we saw the other 3.5 years can also have a role on a lot of teams and there is probably a better fit.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

My guess is that Fatts would want to play for a visible program where he would be a star. Wait! URI would be a great fit! Fatts is not going to be a star player on any top program and being a role player is not going to get him to the next level.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Which school in a P5 conference is going to give him the keys to the car that is the offense? And give him 32+ minutes a game with carte blanche to shoot? And just need a scoring point to win? Shouldn’t that be what he is looking for? I thank him for fulfilling his commitment to Rhody but think if he were to continue to play in college his best situation would be Rhody. He knows what he will get here. Everything else is a crapshoot.
2 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago
rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago I actually think this is a huge value add -- I get it stings when a guy says he's going elsewhere, but I said at this point last year that I was very down on Fatts and thought he was the type of player who could hijack a team on-the-court as I thought he had done in years prior based on his splits and ability to basically play without consequence. I think many times that can rub other guys the wrong way, especially those who seem to be on a shorter leash and do one thing wrong and hit the pine. Fatts was thought of to have AA potential at some points of his career which explains some of the longer leash, but getting rid of him should allow for better chemistry and for the HC to be able to build a team to his strengths and not have to worry about Fatts and if he is happy. It's fair to argue whether the HC should have done that in the first place, but it now gives a clean slate from which to build your identity.

SPOT THE FUCK ON!

Report Quote
Post by DC_Rams » 1 week ago

Good luck!
We all knew he was gone. He had been saying this was his last year here when he announced he was returning last year. No ill will, but I’ve felt he’s lost us more games than he’s won for us. Great kid and solid ball player, but him moving on was best for all parties involved.

I actually agree with rjsuperfly66 AND DC_Rams on this. Must are a Full Moon :lol: :lol:

Now that Jeremy Sheppard has announced he is returning then I'm very encouraged for next season.
  • Last season Sheppard had 68 assists, 51 turnovers for 1.3 assist/TO ratio. He had 45 Assists and 49 Turnovers prior to the last 7 games of the season
  • Sheppard's last 7 games he was amazing. 23 Assists to only 2 Turnovers for a 11.5 Assists/Turnover Ratio!!
  • Sheppard made some of the best passes I observed all season for URI. Leggett also had some very impressive, highly skilled assist. Antwan Walker is also an adept passer but needs to work on his passing turnovers - but he does have good ability to find the open man
In the 2 games Russell did not play Sheppard and Leggett did a good job running the team. For those games some were concerned about our ability to bring the ball up the court, especially with VCU's pressure defense. Both games Sheppard and Leggett did just fine.
Fordham we won 52-42:
  • Sheppard 35 minutes, 6-10 FG, 3-6 3FG, 1-2 FT, 9 rebounds, 1 Foul, 2 assists, 3 steals, 2 TOs
  • Leggett 25 minutes, 3-8 FG, 1-2 3FG, 5-6 FT, 7 rebounds, 2 Fouls, 1 assist, 1 steal, 4 TOs
VCU we lost 62-63:
  • Sheppard 40 minutes, 6-13 FG, 1-5 3FG, 0-1 FT, 2 rebounds, 0 Fouls, 6 assists, 1 steal, 1 TO
  • Leggett 35 minutes, 6-11 FG, 2-3 3FG, 3-4 FT, 4 rebounds, 2 Fouls, 1 assist, 0 steals, 2 TOs
I really look forward to seeing Sheppard blossom next year being out of Russell's shadow - Sheppard will be given the keys. Leggett will be in the starting line up from day 1 - he has outstanding potential - would have been all rookie team if he had had more playing time. I see Sheppard and Leggett working well together as both are adept ball handlers, excellent passers, solid defensively, unselfish, see the entire floor well, can drive the lane, run the break effectively and shoot the 3FG at 40%+ rates.

Let Makhi and Makhel battle it out for the starting 5 position. Makhel beat out Makhi for the starting spot by the 3rd game of the season last year but the battle will be good for both. The Mitchells also could show the Coaching staff that they are so good that they should be in the games together - I think this is a good possibility. They played HS and AAU together - no reason why they can't play together in college as well.

Walker is solid as a starter. His contributions should improve with another year of competition and being pushed for playing time from the Mitchell's and from Malik Martin.

Martin is the likely starter with Sheppard and Leggett but let the competition begin :D

Looking forward to next season with optimism
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago I actually think this is a huge value add -- I get it stings when a guy says he's going elsewhere, but I said at this point last year that I was very down on Fatts and thought he was the type of player who could hijack a team on-the-court as I thought he had done in years prior based on his splits and ability to basically play without consequence. I think many times that can rub other guys the wrong way, especially those who seem to be on a shorter leash and do one thing wrong and hit the pine. Fatts was thought of to have AA potential at some points of his career which explains some of the longer leash, but getting rid of him should allow for better chemistry and for the HC to be able to build a team to his strengths and not have to worry about Fatts and if he is happy. It's fair to argue whether the HC should have done that in the first place, but it now gives a clean slate from which to build your identity.

SPOT THE FUCK ON!

Report Quote

Good luck!
We all knew he was gone. He had been saying this was his last year here when he announced he was returning last year. No ill will, but I’ve felt he’s lost us more games than he’s won for us. Great kid and solid ball player, but him moving on was best for all parties involved.

I actually agree with rjsuperfly66 AND DC_Rams on this. Must are a Full Moon :lol: :lol:

Now that Jeremy Sheppard has announced he is returning then I'm very encouraged for next season.
  • Last season Sheppard had 68 assists, 51 turnovers for 1.3 assist/TO ratio. He had 45 Assists and 49 Turnovers prior to the last 7 games of the season
  • Sheppard's last 7 games he was amazing. 23 Assists to only 2 Turnovers for a 11.5 Assists/Turnover Ratio!!
  • Sheppard made some of the best passes I observed all season for URI. Leggett also had some very impressive, highly skilled assist. Antwan Walker is also an adept passer but needs to work on his passing turnovers - but he does have good ability to find the open man
In the 2 games Russell did not play Sheppard and Leggett did a good job running the team. For those games some were concerned about our ability to bring the ball up the court, especially with VCU's pressure defense. Both games Sheppard and Leggett did just fine.
Fordham we won 52-42:
  • Sheppard 35 minutes, 6-10 FG, 3-6 3FG, 1-2 FT, 9 rebounds, 1 Foul, 2 assists, 3 steals, 2 TOs
  • Leggett 25 minutes, 3-8 FG, 1-2 3FG, 5-6 FT, 7 rebounds, 2 Fouls, 1 assist, 1 steal, 4 TOs
VCU we lost 62-63:
  • Sheppard 40 minutes, 6-13 FG, 1-5 3FG, 0-1 FT, 2 rebounds, 0 Fouls, 6 assists, 1 steal, 1 TO
  • Leggett 35 minutes, 6-11 FG, 2-3 3FG, 3-4 FT, 4 rebounds, 2 Fouls, 1 assist, 0 steals, 2 TOs
I really look forward to seeing Sheppard blossom next year being out of Russell's shadow - Sheppard will be given the keys. Leggett will be in the starting line up from day 1 - he has outstanding potential - would have been all rookie team if he had had more playing time. I see Sheppard and Leggett working well together as both are adept ball handlers, excellent passers, solid defensively, unselfish, see the entire floor well, can drive the lane, run the break effectively and shoot the 3FG at 40%+ rates.

Let Makhi and Makhel battle it out for the starting 5 position. Makhel beat out Makhi for the starting spot by the 3rd game of the season last year but the battle will be good for both. The Mitchells also could show the Coaching staff that they are so good that they should be in the games together - I think this is a good possibility. They played HS and AAU together - no reason why they can't play together in college as well.

Walker is solid as a starter. His contributions should improve with another year of competition and being pushed for playing time from the Mitchell's and from Malik Martin.

Martin is the likely starter with Sheppard and Leggett but let the competition begin :D

I wish I had your optimism.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 3 years ago

SPOT THE FUCK ON!

Report Quote

Good luck!

Fordham we won 52-42:
VCU we lost 62-63:

As am I.

Cox made it so that everything was dependent on how well Fatts played over the last 3 years. If he were great we were great if he wasn't we sucked. He kinda didn't have a choice in a way, but he definitely gave him way too long a leash.

Not having someone playing super erratic and missing like 10 shots a game could turn it around for Cox....even though ya gotta blame him for "riding him until the wheels fall off" and we may be doomed with his system.

Still need a good transfer guard.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Starting means crap! Minutes/game as well as whose on the court at the end of close games is more important. Ish and Shepp must be prepared to make 75%+ of FTs under pressure,
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Speaking of FTs - that doomed Alabama yesterday - 11-23 in regulation. Some folks kind of brush off FT shooting, but it's so important. It can make or break games. Not just close games, but teams can sometimes be let back in because you have a big lead and don't get those points.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago Starting means crap! Minutes/game as well as whose on the court at the end of close games is more important. Ish and Shepp must be prepared to make 75%+ of FTs under pressure,
Try telling any NBA, College or High School Player that "Starting means Crap". Every player wants to start. They want their friends and family to see them starting too. Typically if you start you also finish the game - unless you experienced injury or foul trouble.

Leggett and Sheppard are already at 75%+ on Free Throws.

Sheppard:
FT: 33-43 = 76.7%
3FG: 37-94 = 39.4%
FG: 101-213 = 47.4%

Leggett:
FT: 48-64 = 75%
3FG: 16-38 = 42.1%
FG: 51-110 = 46.4%

Russell:
FT: 127-159 = 79.9%
3FG: 24-102 = 23.5%
FG: 94-279 = 33.7%