The Transfer Carousel - 2021-22

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Re: The Transfer Carousel -2021

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago Uhhhh, where the hell are we? Wake up Cox.

If this kid goes to Providence and we didn't even attempt to bring him here I'm not sure I'm going to be able to hold back on my Fire Cox posts...
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

URI_05 wrote: 3 years ago How does that work? I thought the A10 requires an extra year sitting out if you try to transfer to another conference team...?
With the new transfer rules / the waivers, I’m not sure how it works if you transfer within conferences.

I haven’t seen that specified at all this year.
0 x
Go Rhody
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Kolek would be deadly at Davidson - I think with the coaching change the inter-conference transfer rule would not apply. I do not see a good fit in the Providence offense.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago

If this kid goes to Providence and we didn't even attempt to bring him here I'm not sure I'm going to be able to hold back on my Fire Cox posts...
Surprising we aren't giving him a look
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Saw this on another board, transfers is where it is at.

0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago

Maybe his interest in Loyola has increased after the Illinois game. On the other hand, he’s probably concerned that Moser could get poached.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I hope Kolek stays at Mason
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

The A10 ROTY from RI is transferring and we haven't even reached out to him? That's a damning indictment.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago The A10 ROTY from RI is transferring and we haven't even reached out to him? That's a damning indictment.
........maybe he doesn’t fit into the Coach Cox system that he runs here..... ;)
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RAMFAN
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RAMFAN »

https://theathletic.com/2469325/

Fatts is 24, Kolek 32, Mitchell 7

24. Fatts Russell, 5-11 point guard, super senior, Rhode Island

Russell has been pretty much synonymous with Rhode Island since he made key plays as a freshman in the 2018 NCAA Tournament, so it was a bit surprising to see his name in the portal. He was a first-team All-Atlantic 10 and all-defensive team selection in 2020 when he averaged 18.8 points, 4.6 assists and 2.9 steals while shooting a career-best 35.7 percent from deep. His numbers went down this season, but he was still a third-team all-league pick. Russell has played in 119 games with 83 starts; the red flags are that he is a high-usage guy with a shaky shot. His career field goal percentage is just 35.6 percent.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

section(105) wrote: 3 years ago
theblueram wrote: 3 years ago The A10 ROTY from RI is transferring and we haven't even reached out to him? That's a damning indictment.
........maybe he doesn’t fit into the Coach Cox system that he runs here..... ;)
J, what's your thoughts on this situation? I'm guessing based on the last three years, Cox is gone after next year.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago
section(105) wrote: 3 years ago
J, what's your thoughts on this situation? I'm guessing based on the last three years, Cox is gone after next year.
........going, going, gone.......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

I’m not sure why he would want to come here. Every team on the list is above URI except maybe East Carolina
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RamStock wrote: 3 years ago

I’m not sure why he would want to come here. Every team on the list is above URI except maybe East Carolina

He may not want to, but to not even reach out to a homegrown kid from your own conference in inexcuseable.
2 x
Go Rhody
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Tough get.
0 x
GO RAMS
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

I am torn on Kolek. Should we at least kick the tires? Yup. Do we need a shooter? Yup.
Should we show interest in a local kid that can play? Absolutely.
Do we want to take on a guy who struggles on defense? No.
We are an ok defensive team at times, but not solid enough to cover him up for long periods.
Maybe if we has Hass sitting in the lane.
He is a good but maybe not great shooter - 35.8% from three, 39.9% overall - lower than Sheppard, DJ and Ish.
It may be best for him to either transfer down and be a star at a lower level or take a 10 min role as zone buster at a P5.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I would hope we can recruit better players than kolek. Pass.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Both BC and Seton Hall reloading with high powered guard transfers:

Boston College - Brevin Galloway (Charleston) 15 pts/3 rebs/ 3 assists/ 41%FG
Seton Hall - Jamir Harris (American) 21 pts/ 3 rebs/ 3.5 assists/ 47%FG
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 3 years ago
Now there's the true PG people have been asking for.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 3 years ago I would hope we can recruit better players than kolek. Pass.
We obviously recruited Berry over him.

Berry didn't even sniff the floor when this year was a redshirt year for every single player, regardless if they played or not.

Would you rather have someone who has proven he can play in the A10, evidenced by him winning A10 ROY, or a kid who couldn't even find minutes on our team this year?
0 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago
SmartyBarrett wrote: 3 years ago
Now there's the true PG people have been asking for.
Yes, especially averaged 6 assists in 20-21. Looks like a longshot with the schools already interested.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Iggy1979 wrote: 3 years ago I would hope we can recruit better players than kolek. Pass.

Berry didn't even sniff the floor when this year was a redshirt year for every single player, regardless if they played or not.

Would you rather have someone who has proven he can play in the A10, evidenced by him winning A10 ROY, or a kid who couldn't even find minutes on our team this year?
The expectation was for AB and Carey to be better than a previous unknown like Kolek. Kolek, just like many other kids across the country, get looked over for one reason or another, whether it be the league they play in, deficiency’s, etc....

Tres is a developmental guard. He was okay with taking the year off to learn and develop a college ready body. Not everyone can or will play lots of minutes.

Hard pass on Kolek. He’s good, but I don’t think he’d add anything that would’ve put more wins in the column. DC has to figure it all out.

He obviously knows how to recruit, and he will find someone who fits the Bill...his Bill...but the Bill.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago

The expectation was for AB and Carey to be better than a previous unknown like Kolek. Kolek, just like many other kids across the country, get looked over for one reason or another, whether it be the league they play in, deficiency’s, etc....

Tres is a developmental guard. He was okay with taking the year off to learn and develop a college ready body. Not everyone can or will play lots of minutes.

Hard pass on Kolek. He’s good, but I don’t think he’d add anything that would’ve put more wins in the column. DC has to figure it all out.

He obviously knows how to recruit, and he will find someone who fits the Bill...his Bill...but the Bill.
When you say "he knows how to recruit" I'm not so sure I just co-sign on that. He knows how to recruit athletes. I'm not sure he knows how to identify basketball players.

Basketball is about more than just being long and being able to jump out of the gym. Those guys are a dime a dozen. In fact we have a roster made up of those guys.

Outside of Ish, maybe Shepp. The Mitchells have potential and solid low post moves. I don't see a bench lined with guys who are very good at playing basketball though.

To "hard pass" on the conference freshman POY, seems a bit ridiculous. You're absolutely right that guys get passed over for one reason or another - but now you're getting a second chance and have the resume to back up why you should recruit that guy. I know for a FACT that Kolek wanted to come to URI last year.

Ignore the fact that he's a local kid and that would probably generate a lot of positive buzz and help you put a few asses in the seats next year, he can shoot and pass and we have an offense that was in desperate need of that last year.

To not at least kick the tires on this kid is absurd.
6 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago Greg Parham just posted an IG Story linking to Rhody. He posted a photoshopped SI cover showing him and Sheppard as Rhodys back court. Shepp reposted and said “what if” or something to that extent.

Parham is a PG from Richmond, averaged 18ppg at VMI and has entered the portal as a grad transfer.
Duquesne looks like they are showing a lot of interest
Maybe with Shepp coming back helps us, not sure how strong the mutual interest is.

"Duquesne Conducts Second Zoom Interview With VMI Point Guard Greg Parham"
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Let's offer BJ Simmions and not Kolek. Makes sense.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago Let's offer BJ Simmions and not Kolek. Makes sense.
It doesn't when you compare the players, it does (sort of) when you compare the needs of the team. Kolek is a good player, I would not use the term "hard pass" as DC did but I do think he benefitted from a system that works well for his game. He is obviously a smart player and I would expect he chooses a team that fits his style of play.

My personal opinion is we need a dynamic scoring wing player with AB out next year. We probably also need a true PG - and I think that is what the staff is prioritizing with the open scholarship. I don't think Kolek fills either of those roles. He would be another square peg, good talent that just doesn't fit.

We have some options on the team now to fill those holes. Tres probably does not fit either the PG or 3 (but who knows kid didn't play). DJ could fit that wing role, he has some good skills and I think he will be better next year after finally seeing some game action, but I wouldn't rely on that. Ileri is a complete unkonwn, who knows. So we have two holes to fill with one scholarship. We can't take a kid who doesn't really meet either role. Ultimately, I think we will pick up another PG for this team and roll with what we have on the wing with Martin plus a combination of DJ, Tres, Illeri and maybe even Ish at the 3 sometimes. We will have a lot of good to really good 3 point shooting on the team next year so hopefully that translates into more spacing and easier offense.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Call me skeptical, but I'm more of the opinion that Tres and Illeri are, at best, role players, guys you can slot in for 10 to 15 minutes a game. Like, DJ is the rare example of a guy recently who did redshirt or play minimally, and then got into the rotation. Most players like this sit for the year, don't play much the next year, and then transfer at some point and we never think of them again. Malhoit, DJ, Matthew Butler and Thompson are like the "best case" scenarios, although I'm sure someone can probably think of some guy from the 80s who went from 0 minutes in a year to being a legitimate quality starter.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago Call me skeptical, but I'm more of the opinion that Tres and Illeri are, at best, role players, guys you can slot in for 10 to 15 minutes a game. Like, DJ is the rare example of a guy recently who did redshirt or play minimally, and then got into the rotation. Most players like this sit for the year, don't play much the next year, and then transfer at some point and we never think of them again. Malhoit, DJ, Matthew Butler and Thompson are like the "best case" scenarios, although I'm sure someone can probably think of some guy from the 80s who went from 0 minutes in a year to being a legitimate quality starter.
Yeah at this point I expect zero from them and I'm sure most everyone else feels the same.

Maybe they can be solid role players, but even if we don't bring in a transfer I don't see where the minutes are going to be.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago

When you say "he knows how to recruit" I'm not so sure I just co-sign on that. He knows how to recruit athletes. I'm not sure he knows how to identify basketball players.

Basketball is about more than just being long and being able to jump out of the gym. Those guys are a dime a dozen. In fact we have a roster made up of those guys.

Outside of Ish, maybe Shepp. The Mitchells have potential and solid low post moves. I don't see a bench lined with guys who are very good at playing basketball though.

To "hard pass" on the conference freshman POY, seems a bit ridiculous. You're absolutely right that guys get passed over for one reason or another - but now you're getting a second chance and have the resume to back up why you should recruit that guy. I know for a FACT that Kolek wanted to come to URI last year.

Ignore the fact that he's a local kid and that would probably generate a lot of positive buzz and help you put a few asses in the seats next year, he can shoot and pass and we have an offense that was in desperate need of that last year.

Every response doesn’t need to be a dig. He knows how to recruit. He recruited on plenty of winning teams. Nevermind he had to learn the ropes the hard way, and find kids pretty much sight unseen, but here we are.

There are plenty of kids in the portal better than Kolek that the staff must be prioritizing. Kick the tires because it will give you all a warm and fuzzy??? We had offers out the past few years of The Who who’s in portal. Now guys want to short change the staff because of what...?

I fully agree with the boards sentiment that the guy has to figure shit out, and quick, but now, apparently DC can do nothing right?! C’mon...
1 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

I think this is right. I also think you can make a distinction between recruiting as an assistant and recruiting as the head guy. The assistant is the in the trenches, grind it out, show up at 6am during live events guy. The head coach transitions to evaluator/closer/decision maker role. That doesn't mean Cox doesn't work hard or have to show up all over the place but it's definitely a different skill set. If URI had three Cox's recruiting the last three years as assistants, I think the roster would have significantly more talent, now. It's also why you don't just look at a guy who recruited the best players and hire him as the head guy but that's another discussion (that's been beaten to death).
2 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Every response doesn’t need to be a dig. He knows how to recruit. He recruited on plenty of winning teams. Nevermind he had to learn the ropes the hard way, and find kids pretty much sight unseen, but here we are.

There are plenty of kids in the portal better than Kolek that the staff must be prioritizing. Kick the tires because it will give you all a warm and fuzzy??? We had offers out the past few years of The Who who’s in portal. Now guys want to short change the staff because of what...?

I fully agree with the boards sentiment that the guy has to figure shit out, and quick, but now, apparently DC can do nothing right?! C’mon...
DC Rams, I just find your stance here to be... kind of weird. Kolek is the A-10 Rookie of the Year. Of all the guys we brought in this year, I might take Ish over him (higher ceiling), and maybe the healthy Mitchell. The rest of them, I'd trade Kolek for in a minute, given the relative ages and production to date. I think Cox has some clear wins and losses on the recruiting trail, but at the worst, Kolek seems like he could be a sixth man or a starter on a good team, and given that he was a freshman, there is still some projection to be done with his future stats as well. Maybe the staff has reached out to him now and there's no interest on his part, but to act like Unknown Player X is automatically going to be better, I don't see it. He has proven stats and skills at the A-10 level.
4 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I don't mean it as a "dig" just as I don't mean "Fatts isn't a shooter" as a dig. It means it's not his expertise. Not everything "negative" about Cox is a "dig" either. He doesn't recruit "basketball players" I think that's a fact. He likes long, lanky, athletic guys. Look at our roster. He likes to have guys that have wide arms and can disrupt passing lanes. He likes to have guys that are positionless and can play multiple spots on the floor. That's great.

But you need both.

It's like when Belichick goes and signs a bunch of "football players" who can play special teams, linebacker, and nickel safety. Or slot receivers who can play in the backfield. It's great..but you can't build a team out of those guys. You need a Randy Moss who only goes deep and catches passes.

We are severely lacking in BBIQ and shooting. Things that Kolek seems to have in spades. He was also the best freshman in this conference.

At a minimum, it's a kid who could generate some local interest in a season where you may need some local tie in to try and get casual fans in the building.

Also, he's coaching for his job next year. What he's been doing hasn't been working. Wouldn't be the wildest idea to maybe switch things up in your approach and find someone different.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Not saying I wouldn’t take Kolek (I absolutely would) but we’re not severely lacking in shooting.

DJ, Sheppard, Leggett all shot over 39% this year from 3, with Leggett leading at 42%.
0 x
Go Rhody
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago Not saying I wouldn’t take Kolek (I absolutely would) but we’re not severely lacking in shooting.

DJ, Sheppard, Leggett all shot over 39% this year from 3, with Leggett leading at 42%.
There's shooting well. And there's shooting well taking 7 threes per game. Plus Kolek can defend. I would take him right now over all three with the exception of maybe Leggett. Great player in today's game and, most importantly, has four years left.
1 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

I don't want to get into the habit of throwing random names out... But I did see Karim Coulibaly is leaving Pitt. We were heavily involved with the 6'8 F before he committed to Pitt. Not sure if we get involved this time around, but I wouldn't be surprised.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I don't mean it as a "dig" just as I don't mean "Fatts isn't a shooter" as a dig. It means it's not his expertise. Not everything "negative" about Cox is a "dig" either. He doesn't recruit "basketball players" I think that's a fact. He likes long, lanky, athletic guys. Look at our roster. He likes to have guys that have wide arms and can disrupt passing lanes. He likes to have guys that are positionless and can play multiple spots on the floor. That's great.

But you need both.

It's like when Belichick goes and signs a bunch of "football players" who can play special teams, linebacker, and nickel safety. Or slot receivers who can play in the backfield. It's great..but you can't build a team out of those guys. You need a Randy Moss who only goes deep and catches passes.

We are severely lacking in BBIQ and shooting. Things that Kolek seems to have in spades. He was also the best freshman in this conference.

At a minimum, it's a kid who could generate some local interest in a season where you may need some local tie in to try and get casual fans in the building.

Also, he's coaching for his job next year. What he's been doing hasn't been working. Wouldn't be the wildest idea to maybe switch things up in your approach and find someone different.
But didn’t he recruit Dowtin and Leggett? They are both basketball players in every sense of the word. I think at Rhody there is always going to be the need to take the best talent available bc let’s be honest we rarely have our pick of the litter. So while there is plenty to critique with DC the notion that he has a specific profile of recruit probably isn’t one of them. I still think not even looking at Kolek is dumb solely bc he’s a kid you have a good shot to get given his hometown.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Bos8 wrote: 3 years ago I don't want to get into the habit of throwing random names out... But I did see Karim Coulibaly is leaving Pitt. We were heavily involved with the 6'8 F before he committed to Pitt. Not sure if we get involved this time around, but I wouldn't be surprised.
I noticed him also, but we have 7 frontcourt players (not counting Martin) at this time going into the season. If we lose any of them, he may be worth a look.

Our biggest need is backcourt help, especially with AB injured.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Bos8 wrote: 3 years ago I don't want to get into the habit of throwing random names out... But I did see Karim Coulibaly is leaving Pitt. We were heavily involved with the 6'8 F before he committed to Pitt. Not sure if we get involved this time around, but I wouldn't be surprised.
I noticed him also, but we have 7 frontcourt players (not counting Martin) at this time going into the season. If we lose any of them, he may be worth a look.

Our biggest need is backcourt help, especially with AB injured.
I would certainly agree, but we all know how quickly things can change. I have absolutely zero inside knowledge of any pending transfer situation, but something like that could open up some time. But who knows, like I said I I don't want to post every time someone leaves, but I figured I would post him because I know we were heavily involved the first time around.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago Not saying I wouldn’t take Kolek (I absolutely would) but we’re not severely lacking in shooting.

That's three players - one of them is probably capped at 20 to 25 minutes per game, and another is definitely done after the 2021-22 season. I suppose you could hope for returns to form or improvements from Martin or Bertrand, but I still think we need more shooting until we can show some ability to consistently beat zones. I think if Berry was that kind of guy, he would have played this year.

ETA: Also, with how basketball is trending, my mindset is that you pretty much can't have too many players who can shoot. Like, it's never been easier to do something like play four guards / wings and a big man, and it would be nice if we at least had the personnel to make it an option.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

...and also, how do we know he didn’t reach out? Because Twitter didn’t say so?

Staff went hard after Jonah Antonio, only to be burned at the altar, and kid proved to be a stellar shooter and poor defender.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

He is from Mi., maybe TJ can get involved

Last edited by Jersey77 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago

That's three players - one of them is probably capped at 20 to 25 minutes per game, and another is definitely done after the 2021-22 season. I suppose you could hope for returns to form or improvements from Martin or Bertrand, but I still think we need more shooting until we can show some ability to consistently beat zones. I think if Berry was that kind of guy, he would have played this year.

ETA: Also, with how basketball is trending, my mindset is that you pretty much can't have too many players who can shoot. Like, it's never been easier to do something like play four guards / wings and a big man, and it would be nice if we at least had the personnel to make it an option.
With the exception of Jalen, it is clear that the staff has put an emphasis on bringing in guards/wings who can shoot. AB and Martin didn’t live up to prior averages for whatever reason but Martin was improving as the season went on so that is a good sign. Tres, DJ, Ileri, Jeremy, Chance, AB, Martin are all good to very good shooters. I want to see what happens when these guys start taking the majority of shots.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago

With the exception of Jalen, it is clear that the staff has put an emphasis on bringing in guards/wings who can shoot. AB and Martin didn’t live up to prior averages for whatever reason but Martin was improving as the season went on so that is a good sign. Tres, DJ, Ileri, Jeremy, Chance, AB, Martin are all good to very good shooters. I want to see what happens when these guys start taking the majority of shots.
You simply cannot say Betrand, Martin and ESPECIALLY Tres, Illeri, and Chance Stephens are good to very good shooters.

Betrand and Martin struggled mightily to shoot this year at the A10 level, both under 30% from 3. Yes they had success in lower conferences, but jury is still out with them in the A10.

I don't even know where to begin with those other 3...

Those kids haven't even played D1 yet. Absolutely zero evidence they can be above average shooters in the A10.

Pump the brake at hyping up these kids when 3 of them haven't even stepped onto the court in Division 1...
2 x
Go Rhody
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

You simply cannot say Betrand, Martin and ESPECIALLY Tres, Illeri, and Chance Stephens are good to very good shooters.

Betrand and Martin struggled mightily to shoot this year at the A10 level, both under 30% from 3. Yes they had success in lower conferences, but jury is still out with them in the A10.

Those kids haven't even played D1 yet. Absolutely zero evidence they can be above average shooters in the A10.

Pump the brake at hyping up these kids when 3 of them haven't even stepped onto the court in Division 1...
Did you take the time to read his post, or did you immediately need something to complain about? At no point did you address what he said...

He stated that it seems the philosophy switched with regards to recruiting guys that can shoot. Tres, Chance etc all have a reputation of being able to shoot. We all know the concept of "game slippage" and just because you can hit a jump shot vs a cone, doesn't know you can do it in a game etc etc. But he was stating it appears the staff is targeting guys that have a reputation for being able to shoot. Martin and Betrand each shot close to 40% from 3 the year before they transferred. Again, that would qualify of having a reputation of being a shooter.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I said this back when Martin committed and I think got some push back then to, but I don't think we should be expecting Martin to be any sort of a reliable 3 point shooter. I know everyone loves to call out the percentages, but at Charlotte he was making 1 3-pointer per game. His 3P% here last season was the same that it was his freshman year. It jumped his sophomore year because although he was still only making 1 per game, he took a few less. None of this is a knock on Martin at all, I only point it out to say its simply not a big part of his game so I don't think its something that us fans should be expecting out of him.
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Bos8 wrote: 3 years ago

Did you take the time to read his post, or did you immediately need something to complain about? At no point did you address what he said...

He stated that it seems the philosophy switched with regards to recruiting guys that can shoot. Tres, Chance etc all have a reputation of being able to shoot. We all know the concept of "game slippage" and just because you can hit a jump shot vs a cone, doesn't know you can do it in a game etc etc. But he was stating it appears the staff is targeting guys that have a reputation for being able to shoot. Martin and Betrand each shot close to 40% from 3 the year before they transferred. Again, that would qualify of having a reputation of being a shooter.

He literally said those 5 players were “good to very good shooters.”

So yes, I did read what he said.
0 x
Go Rhody
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Bos8 wrote: 3 years ago

He literally said those 5 players were “good to very good shooters.”

So yes, I did read what he said.
And they have reputations of being good to very good shooters. As he pointed out, it seems to be something that the staff is focusing in on.
1 x